Search:

SIYE Time:9:33 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Turkey Day
By Spenser Hemmingway

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, Post-HBP, Holidays
Characters:Luna Lovegood, Luna Lovegood, Minerva McGonagall, Minerva McGonagall, Neville Longbottom, Neville Longbottom, Ron Weasley, Ron Weasley
Genres: Fluff, Humor
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 16
Summary: Harry, Ginny, Ron and Hermione are introduced to an American tradition, and its associated lesson. One shot.
Hitcount: Story Total: 4755



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
I originally wrote this with the expectation that Harry and friends would be returning to Hogwarts for their seventh year. Silly writer! Now its Alternative Universe. I actually put it together while travelling to see relatives in California one year. I thought that this particular holiday needed its own story.




ChapterPrinter


Turkey Day

By Spenser Hemmingway


I am grateful for what I am and have. My thanksgiving is perpetual.”
–-Henry David Thoreau



The first dusting of snow lay over the Hogwarts grounds. It was just enough to remind the students that it really was late autumn. There was still a touch of color in the trees and on the ground, but those were faded hues and would soon give way to the full white force of winter. It was that brief span of days that separated the beauty of the reds and oranges from the quiet, peaceful picture that proceeded Christmas.

Harry and Ron Apparated near Hagrid’s hut, and were actually pleased that he wasn’t there to greet them. They were just too tired to see their old friend. Near the hut was a spot, exactly five foot by five foot, where they could leave and depart Hogwarts, and then it was in place only for certain people at certain times.

Both of them were as exhausted as they ever had been in their lives, and both knew the day was not yet over. Their search for the Horcruxes the previous night had been a wasted effort, almost to the point where they were wondering if someone was trying to lure them away from the school and onto unsafe ground just as a diversion.

In addition, they had left without Hermione. Ginny understood she couldn’t go with them on every trip away from school. She and Harry, in order to be together, had to maintain a façade of actually disliking each other. Hermione and Ron, on the other hand, were openly a couple, and Ron had left her behind. He knew the fact that they hadn’t found anything again would have little effect on her mood. Perhaps Hermione’s high fever would be a little bit of an excuse, or rather a reason for what he had done.

The two Wizards made their way inside, giving cursory greetings to several friends they passed. After seeing the expressions on their faces, those students knew they shouldn’t bother the two. When they reached the entry to the Gryffindor Tower, even the Fat Lady, seeing their appearance, knew better than to question their mumblings. If it wasn’t the correct password, the fact that this was Harry Potter with a hand on his famous wand–-that was enough.

The Common Room was empty except for Neville, Spenser, and Ginny, all of whom knew Harry and Ginny’s secret. The girl was on her feet as if she had been on a spring, throwing her arms around Harry’s neck. Harry didn’t even look around the room. He pulled her in and gave her a firm hug. His absolute exhaustion was reflected in his only kissing her on the forehead, despite being in front of just close friends. She understood, but still felt a twinge of pain at his actions.

Ron’s look was one that incorporated the same fatigue, disappointment that Hermione wasn’t there with them, and then suddenly concern that she might have taken a turn for the worse with her fever. Harry and Neville both saw the scared, tired look on his face, and walked over to their wide-eyed friend, with Ginny close behind.

“Ron, Hermione is fine. The fever has broken,” Ginny told her brother. She gripped his arm until she was sure that he was listening to her. “She only was susceptible to the influenza because of her parents being Muggles. I’m afraid they might have actually given it to her. It was a rare fluke.”

“Guy, Remus Lupin told me Harry’s mom actually had the mumps her fifth year,” Spenser told him, “and it was an occasion for several students to well…observe her being miserable with the Muggle bug.”

Harry cringed, initially too angry to react until he remembered Remus’ story himself. His own father had started that exhibition, and Harry smiled about the rest of the story–-at least the part after his mother had recovered. Hermione would pull through as well. He hugged Ginny close to him again, but this time she seemed to pull away quickly.

“I can’t go up there to see her,” Ron almost whispered, “Can someone…well tell her that I’m back and…oh never mind.” Ron staggered, literally, up the stairs to their rooms. Harry gave Ginny another kiss, this time a real one…a tired one, and then followed Ron upstairs.

Ginny offered Neville and Spenser a quick smile, as if to convince them everything was fine, but they knew instead that everything was questionable at that point. Neville gave her his own best smile, but Spenser had to fake one before she left. Things were stretched out to the breaking point, and he suddenly had an idea about resolving the situation.

“Neville, can I…may I talk to you about something important?”


*****



“Professor McGonagall, I know I’m an American, and I’ve really appreciated how you have put up with the way that I have been transitioning into Hogwarts…”

“You are a guest here, Mr. Hemmingway, and, as such, afforded certain courtesies. In addition, despite your mischievous reputation, you have been an outstanding, albeit distracted student.”

“Yes ma’am; I appreciate that as well. I really wanted to speak to you about Harry. Well, not just him, but I want to do something nice for them. Our friends I mean. Oh feldercarb. Excuse me ma’am…that really is a clean word. I just mean… Professor McGonagall, have you met Dobby?”


*****



Harry got maybe two hours of sleep, and he woke to Ron curled up by the window staring out and off into space. He still hadn’t gone to see Hermione, but then, with the wards in place, none of the male Gryffindor students could visit their counterparts.

“Ron, have I ever told you what a git you are?”

“Yeah Harry. Once, or twice,” he responded. “Blasted butterbeans, I’m really scared here Harry. Stupid influenza. Stubborn girl.” Ron said, emotion starting to well up in his voice, but hoping Harry hadn’t heard.

“Ron, Hermione will be fine. She’s madder at you than she is sick.”

“Harry, is it going to be like this when we go after You-Know-Who? I can’t let her come with us mate, I just can’t.”

Harry smiled at his friend, knowing exactly how he felt.

“Let me talk to McGonagall. Let me see if I can get you a quick visit up those stairs.”


*****



It was the fourth Monday of November, and very few moods had improved with the passing days. The friends had noticed how Dobby had been popping in and out quite a bit more than he had before, but apart from that, they took it as just another day.

Ron was finally able to see Hermione–-just not in the girls’ dormitory. Instead, Professor McGonagall had helped her downstairs to the Common Room, and then fixed her a place on the sofa. Ron was pleased that the professor had ushered the few remaining students out of the tower room, leaving just the two of them in an uncomfortable silence.

Hermione, Ron saw, did in fact look much better than she had the last time they were together. Her eyes were clear, and she seemed to be more comfortable, but she also looked as if she hadn’t slept well…if at all. Her smile was as forced as his was, and for five full minutes neither one could speak.

“I…I was worried about you,” Ron finally said, “I shouldn’t have gone with Harry. I should have stayed here with you. If something had happened…”

“You left me behind Ron,” she said in a quiet, but not at all weak, voice. She pushed herself up into a sitting position, and then glared at Ron when he moved to help her. “How could you do that to me? We agreed I would always be with you during all of this. After all we’ve been through, you know I can take care of myself.”

“Hermione, you’ve been sick–-really sick. You didn’t have any business being anywhere but in bed. Besides, it was a wasted trip. The information about the Horcruxes was wrong.”

“It could just as easily been correct Ron. You didn’t know it wasn’t when you left. I see also that you don’t recall who has been finding that information for all of us. I earned the right to come with you, and I’m not all that sick,” Hermione said with much more force. Trying to stand up however, she found that she was unable to emphasize her point.

This time Ron made no effort to help her, in part to avoid her wrath, but mostly to make his own point.

“Ron, you are behaving the same way Harry was last spring,” she said in a soft, but harsh voice, “I am not some china doll to be locked away until you feel it is safe and convenient for you.”

Hermione knew that she had said too much but couldn’t bring herself to apologize. She had rarely seen Ron so hurt. He backed away from her, and moved toward the portal, passing Professor McGonagall as he left.

The professor immediately sensed that something was wrong but chose to respect their privacy. She understood now the tensions about which Spenser had spoken to her.

“Professor would you help me back to my room?” a teary-eyed Hermione asked her.

“Certainly, Miss Granger.”

They had reached the foot of the stairs when Ginny entered the tower. Seeing her friend and the headmistress, she rushed over to assist them. The professor noted that Ginny had been crying as well but was working very hard to hide it. More so than before, she realized that young Mr. Hemmingway’s idea was a good one.


*****



The following Thursday found Harry, Ginny, Ron, and a much-improved Hermione together outside Professor McGonagall’s office. The collective mood was more somber than tense, and to describe it as depressing would be an understatement. No one really felt like talking despite their curiosity about the summons. After several minutes Professor McGonagall emerged, and approached the dour group.

“I am very pleased that you are on time. You are no doubt wondering why I have called you here today. It has come to my attention that the four of you have been engaging in, shall we say, in appropriate activities. Your behavior has been seen as reprehensible, and your attitudes intolerable.”

The four were dumbstruck at her words. What could they have done to earn such a reprimand? All of them had received permission to occasionally leave the school in their search for the Horcruxes; that had been a condition to Harry’s return to school for his final year. What could Hermione have done? That day was her first out of bed in two weeks.

“”Professor…?” Harry started.

“No Mr. Potter–-no questions. All will be explained shortly. Suffice it to say that all classes for the four of you are cancelled for the remainder of the day, so that you may be placed in detention. Yes, Miss Granger, I do feel it is that serious.”

The professor led the group out and then back through the school, eventually stopping at what they knew was the door to Room of Requirements. They were surprised to see the door there had a large knocker installed upon it, which Professor McGonagall proceeded to use.

“For the remainder of the day, you will be under the supervision of Mr. Hemmingway. I trust that his report to me will be a satisfactory one.”

The four friends weren’t surprised at this…they were stunned silent. Spenser was not even a prefect, let alone an instructor. He had only been at the school for a little under three months, yet he had been chosen to supervise their mysterious detention.

A moment later the door swung open, and there stood Spenser smiling at the perplexed group.

“Oh, hey guys! Great, you’re here! We’ve been waiting for you,” he said, moving to lead them back inside.

The room had taken on the form of a large dining hall, decorated to match the bright autumn colors. On the walls were wreaths of intertwined branches, laced with harvest leaves, corn husks, acorns, and ribbons of red, gold, and brown.

On the table was a huge feast, to which Neville, Luna, and Dobby were contributing bowls of mashed potatoes, yams, buttered green beans, and what smelled to everyone like fresh cornbread muffins. At the head of the table sat one of the largest turkeys that anyone had ever seen. The smells were incredible. It was a meal almost worthy of Molly Weasley.

“Spenser,” Harry began in a tentative voice, “…what exactly is going on here? Would you mind telling us?”

“Sure Harry. I shanghaied all of you. Happy Thanksgiving!”


*****



After a little coaxing, very little in Ron’s case, everyone was seated at the long table. Hermione was more than a bit upset at the thought of Dobby waiting on them as they ate, but Harry reminded her that Dobby was indeed a free elf, and even Mrs. Weasley had the habit of not eating while her guests were in need of anything. A compromise was worked out when everyone agreed to save one of the drumsticks for him.

“All right, first off this whole thing was my idea, so if anyone wants to blow a gasket, I’m the target, not Luna, not Neville, not Dobby,” Spenser told them, still trying to maintain a pleasant mood. He could tell they seemed to be more curious than upset about what was happening.

“Harry, Ron…you two have been acting like a couple real dweebs this past month,” he continued, “and it’s because you’ve been so caught up in this war that you’ve forgotten all those things you already have to be thankful for. I’m talking about these two ladies sitting next to you. Most guys I know, myself included, would give their eyeteeth for a single hour with someone who loves them the way these girls love you.

“You told me once Harry that one of your greatest strengths in this fight is your capacity to love and to be loved. Riddle-buddy doesn’t have that edge, and if you two don’t straighten out and fly right with Ginny and Hermione, you may lose it too.”

Spenser waited for an angry reaction as well as a sharp rebuke. Instead he was surprised that what he had said had actually got their attention, and embarrassed reactions from both of them. This may actually work, he thought.

“Hermione, you were out of line with Ron as well. He loves you, and can’t stop worrying about you, even when he knows you’re more than a match for anything you may run into out there…most of the time. You were flat out sick these past weeks. People die from influenza–-thousands of them every year.

“You should know that little fact, and, on those rare occasions when Wizards do get Muggle diseases, they are especially bad since we don’t always have the built-up immunity. Ron wasn’t worried about you…he was scared senseless. All he got back though was your throwing a fit about not being able to go out and play.”

It was Hermione’s turn to give them a scared, downtrodden expression. “Three for three Spenser,” he whispered to himself. He saw that Neville and Luna were trying to remain unnoticed at the far end of the table, and he gave them both a quick smile of appreciation.

“Ginny…” Spenser began again, but she cut him off.

“I know what you are going to say, but you really don’t need to. Sometimes I forget that I can be strong for Harry, even though he is already being strong for me.”

“Uhm…okay, let’s leave it at that. People–-Thanksgiving in the United States isn’t just about stuffing your face with all sorts of good food, watching parades and American football games. It is one particular day each year when we pay attention to everything we have that’s wonderful. Remembering what we have to be thankful for helps us to strive for even greater things and to respect and love what’s with us all the more. I guess that’s all I have to say.”

Several moments passed while his words continued to sink in. Finally, Harry stood up, and walked over to Spenser. He tried to read Harry’s expression, but was he was no longer sure about what was going to happen. Spenser rose to meet Harry, who gave him his hand.

“Spense, if you wrote half as well you spoke today, you’d have a bloody Pulitzer.”

“I wouldn’t want one. People would expect my stuff to be readable then.”

Spenser motioned to Luna and Neville to join him off to the side, so that the others could finally talk amongst themselves. Dobby had placed a warming spell on the food to give them a little time, and then joined the other three who were now in the far corner. While Luna rosined her violin bow, Spenser pulled out his guitar and Neville a small harmonica. As they softly tried a few songs together, they could see Harry and the others exchanging emotional hugs, and even more emotional apologies. After three songs, and a few long kisses among the two couples, Spenser took the opportunity to steer everyone back to the table and the meal they had laid out.

“Before we begin, we have a tradition in my family, where we go around the table and quickly tell everyone what it is that we are most thankful for this year,” Spenser announced, “Corny as it sounds, I would really appreciate it if we could do that here today. Myself, I’m thankful for so many new friends who have invited me into their lives, despite the stories I write about them.”

“I’m thankful that my grandmother is beginning to appreciate how I’m good with Herbology,” Neville added.

“I’m grateful that the Red-throated Vagaspites were not able to take over the continent as Daddy forewarned,” Luna said, to no one’s surprise.

Dobby who had joined them for this also had something to say, “Dobby is appreciating that Harry Potter and friends have honored him with their friendship.”

“I am very thankful that I am doing so well in all my N.E.W.T. preparation coursework,” Hermione said. Ron was not immediately aware that she was joking, until she reached over, and gave him another loving hug and kiss.

“I…I’m just happy that Hermione is okay now. She’s given me a couple real scares this year, but…you know,” Ron said then.

“Yeah mate, we know,” Harry told him, pulling his little sister in close to him. “I guess Ginny and I are both thankful for the same thing. We’re finally together, even if we have to keep it quiet. Spenser, thanks for the turkey, the new holiday, and well…thanks for everything else too.”

“No problem pal.”

Mischief managed!
Reviews 16
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear