Search:

SIYE Time:6:05 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Where Dreams Dwell
By skittellgirl

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny, James Potter, Lily Potter, Sirius Black
Genres: Angst, Fluff, Tragedy, Drama
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 5
Summary: It was only a dream- or was it?
Hitcount: Story Total: 3351







ChapterPrinter









Where Dreams Dwell



 


He was falling. No, actually, it was more like both falling and spinning at the same time. Harry was completely confused. What is going on, he thought to himself. The last thing he remembered, he had fallen peacefully asleep. It had been a few days since the defeat of Voldemort, and while he had been feeling enormously better, Madam Pomfrey still didn’t want him to leave the Hospital Wing just yet. So he had remained there, while his friends and his girlfriend, Ginny, had come to visit him at all hours. Usually, they had stayed until Madam Pomfrey was forced to kick them out, and today had been no exception. Indeed, the last thing that had happened to Harry before he fell asleep was a sweet kiss from Ginny, with a mischievous promise to “give you a little more later, when you’re rested.” All in all, it had been, until now, a perfectly ordinary night.


And now he was falling. It didn’t feel like a Portkey, though; this fall wasn’t jarring. It was almost like floating, as though he had an invisible broom beneath him. He looked around, and all he could see was white. It wasn’t like a white light, rather, it appeared as if the only color in the world was white. It obscured and permeated everything. Harry barely had time to wonder what that meant when he all too suddenly hit the ground.


He looked up, and shook his head. This place, it was- beautiful. He remembered back to when he had been in Muggle school, and the stories of the Garden of Eden came up. The descriptions of that place were the only thing that he could use to compare to the beauty of the land he was in. He turned, and found that there was a cozy English cottage right near him, about 200 yards away. The incongruity of an English cottage in the middle of an ethereal landscape, one that looked as though someone had combined the jungle and the most beautiful of English pastoral countryside, was enough to cause him to chuckle, in spite of his apprehension. He stood up, and said, “Where the-”


“Hell am I?” responded a clear, crisp voice. “I wouldn’t use that term around here. The folks in charge tend to get a bit-eh-shirty about it.”


Harry turned to the voice, and stopped. He was stunned. After about a minute, he managed to choke out, “Sirius?”


“Yes, Harry, it is me,” Sirius replied, grinning.


“You- you look-” Harry started, unable to put it into coherent words.


“Like I wasn’t imprisoned for twelve years?”, he replied. “Yeah, I know. Up here they let you assume your ‘perfect form’. The one you had when you were happiest. This is how I looked on your parent’s wedding day.”


“Sirius, I am so-” Harry began, but was cut off.


“Don’t say you’re sorry. That was not your fault. I am the one who chose to go to the Department of Mysteries that night. Knowing then what I know now, I am sure that I made the right decision. Seeing what you have done for the wizarding world allows me to see that my sacrifice was not in vain. I am very proud of you, Harry.”


Harry found himself tearing up, and said, “How is this possible?”


“Well, the folks in charge decided that after all you’ve done with an impossible situation, this was the best reward they could give you. A chance to see that I am okay. That, in fact, we are all okay.”


“We?” asked Harry, as a light of hope began to burn in his stomach. Sirius chuckled, and said, “Well, let’s be off, shall we? We’ve got all the time in the world, but you don’t.”


Sirius led Harry to the cottage and knocked on the door. It opened, and Harry thought he might very well die of happiness himself. Standing there, both looking healthy and proud, were his parents. They looked as serene and amazing as they had when he first saw them in the Mirror of Erised, and Harry found himself at a complete loss of what to say.


James spoke first, “Merlin, Lily, doesn’t he look handsome?”


“You would say that, you prat,” she replied, but her eyes were twinkling. “He looks just like you.”


“Nah,” said James. “Not entirely. He has much better eyes.”


Harry said, “Mum? Dad? Are you really here?”


“Yes, Harry, we are,” replied Lily. “Please come in.” Harry walked into the cozy, well lit cottage. Lily said, “I know you don’t remember, but this is the home you lived in with us when you were first born.”


“It’s beautiful,” he replied. Harry started, “There is so much I have to tell you. I need to tell you about Ron and Hermione and-”


“We know all about them, son,” said James. “We have been watching you every day of your life. By the way, excellent catch on the Snitch that first year game. Couldn’t have done it better myself.”


“You- you know all about me?” Harry replied, amazed.


“Of course we do!” exclaimed Lily. “You are our son. I am so sorry for leaving you, and if I had had one other choice, I wouldn’t have done it. It was the only way you could survive. I only hope that you can forgive me.” Lily was crying openly by now, and James and Sirius both moved to comfort her.


“Forgive you?” asked Harry, incredulous. “You are the reason I am alive today. You are the reason I could defeat Voldemort in the first place. I owe everything to you and Dad. I am not angry at you. I love you both so much!”


Lily ran over to him. Then she, and James, gave Harry something that he had only dreamed of before, only envisioned- a hug from his parents. His mother smelled of lavender, and his dad of wood and, well, Snitch cleaner. He half-chuckled half-cried, trying to inhale as much of the smell as he could, to lock it into his sensory memory for the rest of his life.


After a good long while, enough of a while to make up for seventeen years of not being able to hug him, they let go. Harry looked at them and said, ‘No matter what, I want you to know that I am so proud to be your son. I love you and have been honored to know you, even if it has only been for this short while. I will do whatever I can to make you proud of me.”


“You already have, love,” replied James, who was trying to hide the tears in his eyes.


“We are running out of time, guys. I am really sorry.” said Sirius.


“I have to tell you this before you go,” said Lily urgently. “I love you always. Do not feel guilty or sad for us, because we are happy here. We are at peace, we are in a blessed and sacred place, and we are more than willing to wait for a very long time ‘til you join us here. Until then, we will be content with watching you from above, and cheering for you with all our might. Be blessed, be generous, and be happy, honey. That is the greatest gift you can give us.”


“Son, I am immensely proud of the man you have become,” said James. “You have brought honor to the Potter name in ways I never could have. I agree with all the things that your mother said, but I have to add one. Have fun. Live with the Marauder spirit in your heart, and be open to all of life’s boundless ridiculous joys. And by the way, redheads are an excellent pick,” he finished, winking at his son.


“James!” yelled Lily, but she was laughing all the same.


“I know,” replied Harry, grinning. “I love her so much. The Weasleys have given me so much joy and togetherness. I don’t know what I would do without them.”


“Well, that’s why we sent them to you, of course,” said James.


“You-you sent them?” asked Harry.


“Well, bloody hell, we couldn’t just leave you with nothing but my sister, could we?” replied Lily. “I just need you to tell her, though, that I forgive her and I love her.”


“I will,” Harry said, softly.


“And one more message, if you could,” said James. “Tell Serverus that I-well- that I am truly sorry for what I did to him, and I hope that he can forgive me.”


“Yeah, tell old Snivellus the same for me,” said Sirius.


“You might want to leave out the Snivellus part,” said Lily, glaring at Sirius.


“I will,” Harry replied. “Uh, what about Remus? Is there anything I should tell him?”


“Well, actually, we were able to wheedle just a little more out of the folks in charge. We will be dropping in on him in a bit,” said James.


“Um, you had better pick a good time. I don’t thing you want to interrupt anything,” said Harry, thinking of Tonks.


“We will,” said James, laughing. He grew serious, and said, “Well, I guess this is goodbye.”


“Don’t forget everything we’ve said,” said Lily desperately.


“I won’t,” Harry replied, beginning to cry. “This isn’t goodbye, though, Dad. It is see you later.”


Sirius said, “I love you, Harry. Keep doing what you’re doing and you will be all right.”


“I will,” he said. Harry and his parents came together again in one large hug. Sirius joined them, and Harry said, “I love you all so much.”


“We love you too,” they replied in unison, all crying.


Then Harry’s world went white.






 


Harry sat bolt upright in his bed. Sweat was pouring down his brow. What time is it, he wondered. He reached for the watch next to his bed. It read 4:15 A.M.. Was it just a dream, he thought. It felt so real, sounded so real. He grabbed the arm of his pajama top and sniffed it. He placed his arm down on his lap again and grinned.


His arm.


It smelled like lavender. And Snitch cleaner.





Reviews 5
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear