Search:

SIYE Time:1:50 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


What Goes 'Round Comes Around
By fresh_pickled_toad

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley
Genres: Fluff, Humor
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 4
Summary: Ginny Weasley has finally broken up with Dean Thomas. A certain fresh-pickled-toad-eyed and blackboard-haired boy is planning to ask her out... A HBP missing moment
Hitcount: Story Total: 1904



Disclaimer: If I owned Harry Potter, there would be lots and lots of more H/G and R/Hr in the books, and I certainly wouldn't let Harry/Hermione shippers screen-write and direct the movies and ruin my favorite characters. Besides, I could never think up such an awesome world! Harry Potter belongs to JK Rowling, not me.



Author's Notes:
I had planned to write a multi-chapter fic full of one-shots in chronological order ( Between the Lines ) and had also decided that the next chapter would have Harry and Ginny (unknowingly, of course ;) ) flirting with each other at the Burrow, but for the life of me, I can't think of anything. I already had some vague ideas of the following chapters, so i decided to break down Between the Lines to individual one-shots so that I wouldn't have to worry about the order. Hope you like this!




ChapterPrinter


Harry woke up exceptionally early on the morning of 30th April, taking an obnoxiously long time (according to Ron and Seamus) in the shower, and taking particular care to flatten his hair. After Dean, Seamus and Neville went down to breakfast, Harry persuaded Ron to go on before him as it would take time. Ron threw a maddeningly Hermione-ish smug and meaningful look to Harry before he left.

The mirror yawned. ‘Aren’t you finished yet? You’ve been standing here trying to comb your hair for over half an hour. It isn’t going to work, young man. Anyway, it looks like you’re planning to ask someone out. If you are, then that girl has probably always seen you in your unruly hair. Wasting your time like this won't help,’ it finished shrewdly.

Harry felt a flush creeping up his neck. ‘I am not going to ask someone out!’ he said, worrying if he was being that obvious.

‘Oh, don’t lie,’ it said airily. ‘I recognize the signs. Your father and his cronies used to stay in this dormitory too, you know.’
Knowing it was useless trying to argue and flatten his messy hair, Harry gave up. It didn’t matter anyway, because his hair would soon stick out in all directions.

Feeling incredibly self-conscious, and making a mental note that it was now or never, Harry walked out of the dormitory and the common room and headed towards the Great Hall. As he walked down the stairs, however, he bumped right into Nearly Headless Nick, and felt the familiar unpleasant feeling of being doused in a bucket of ice-cold water.

Nick was looking very cheerful. ‘Good morning, Harry!’ he said jovially. ‘Hey, Nick. How are you?’

‘Good, good,’ he boomed, in a rather Slughorn-ish fashion. ‘How are you, Harry? Haven’t seen you since that night near Gryffindor tower! Do you know that the Headless Hunt has finally agreed to take me in?’

‘Oh, great,’ said Harry absentmindedly, scanning the Great Hall for a trace of flaming red hair.

To his surprise, Nick chuckled. ‘Trying to ask some young lady out, aren’t you,’ he said to Harry’s utter horror. First that nosy mirror and now Nick? Why was everyone suddenly becoming annoyingly like Hermione?

‘I remember the old days… when I was trying to woo the beautiful Lady Constance Cummington,’ he sighed, looking ahead wistfully, ignoring the look on Harry's face.

‘Er… Nick, I am somewhat in a hurry, so…’
‘Alright, alright, you can go on,’ said Nick vaguely, looking misty-eyed, and lost in his long reminiscence, still muttering things like “Duke of Brian” and “traitor”.

As he moved ahead, he once again bumped into someone else. A short, over-enthusiastic, camera-clutching someone. ‘Hiya Harry!’ said Colin brightly.
‘Please don’t tell me I look like I want to ask someone out too, Colin,’ he said warily.
‘Huh?’ asked Colin, looking confused. ‘Actually, I was just asking whether-‘ , Colin began.

‘Uh, Colin, I’m getting a bit late, talk to you later!’ Harry felt slightly guilty for sidestepping Colin like this, but nobility and politeness had to wait. He would ask Colin what it was later. He had business to do. Urgently.

Ron and Hermione were already seated on the table when he finally arrived. Both looked amused at his impatient state as he took a seat on Ron’s right and eagerly scanned the Hall once again. So much for being discreet thought Harry.

'Looking for someone?' asked Hermione, following his gaze.

'Huh? Er.. no. Just looking... just like that...' he finished somewhat stupidly. Hermione rolled her eyes.

Harry helped himself to some pumpkin juice to calm his nerves. What was he going to do once he spotted Ginny? Just ask her if she would go out with him? What if she said no? Hermione had told him that she had given up on him ages ago. What if she didn't fancy him anymore? What if he ruined their friendship by asking her?

'Harry, can you hear me?'

'What?' asked Harry, turning to look at Ron.

'You-er-seemed a bit lost, mate.'

'Oh, erm, it's nothing... just-just thinking about the-umm- Horcruxes, yeah, the Horcruxes.' Harry knew very well that he was sounding extremely stupid, but he really could not help it.

When Ginny did not arrive even after ten minutes or so, Harry threw caution to the winds. 'Umm.. Hermione... d'you know where Ginny is? I mean, she hasn't come down to breakfast yet... she usually isn't late...' he asked, trying and failing to sound nonchalant.

'Hmmm... well, maybe, she is with Justin Finch-Fletchley, you know... I overheard him telling Ernie that he really fancied her and was hoping to ask her out...' Harry choked on his pumpkin juice and didn't notice Hermione winking imperceptibly at Ron.

'What?!'

'Well, yes, but why are you so interested?' she asked, with the slightest hint of a smirk.

Harry was saved from answering by a wonderfully familiar voice. 'Hey!'

'Hi!' Harry said automatically, turning around and literally pushing Ron so that he could make space for Ginny on his left.

Ginny sat down, and helped herself to some toast and marmalade.

What was he supposed to do now? Ron and Hermione were sitting right there... maybe he could ask her to a walk near the lake and... spontaneously kiss her? Should he stand up here right now and confess his undying love?

Harry didn't realize he had actually half-risen from his seat until he heard Ron. 'What happened, Harry?' he asked with an amused note in his voice.

'Uh, no-nothing. I just- er- wanted some more juice,' he said, quickly taking the jug and pouring some juice into his glass so that no one would be able to see the blush forming on his face.

He looked at Ginny out of the corner of his eye. She was looking really pretty, as she always did. She had tied her beautiful, long hair in a high pony and used an emerald green barrette clip to fasten them. Had he ever noticed how her hair turned hundreds of different shades during the day? Oh, well, he probably had, seeing that he had spent almost all Quidditch practices staring at her flaming hair.

He heard Ron cough faintly and was recalled to his surroundings. None of his companions were talking, and Ron was looking at him with an half-amused, half-incredulous expression. Ron and Hermione then shared a look and grinned.

Harry fervently hoped that the eye-catching was simply because they had sorted out their feelings for each other or something and were going off to find a nice, quiet broom cupboard, and not because they had noticed his obvious attraction towards Ginny.

'Come on, Ron,' said Hermione, taking Ron by the arm. 'You've finished breakfast, haven't you? You really have to complete that essay on Befuddlement Potions for Professor Slughorn.' To Harry's astonishment, Ron didn't argue and went up after Hermione. However, what astonished Harry even more was that Ron winked at him before going.

Thinking it was only a trick of the light, he went back to thinking of how to ask Ginny out.

Ginny broke the silence first. 'Have you heard about the recent development in the Holyhead Harpies team?'

'Why, what happened?'

Ginny went off explaining Harry about their exchange players with Puddlemere United, and how this wouldn't be really good for the team.

Harry heard her speak, admiring how her freckles highlighted her bright eyes, and breathing in the intoxicating flowery smell he had come to associate with Ginny. He vaguely registered feeling something wet in his elbow, and was shocked to see Ginny gripping his arm.

Feeling goosebumps erupt in the arm which Ginny was holding, he looked at her. She was looking like she was suppressing a grin. 'Harry... you put your elbow in the butter dish...'

Horrorstruck, Harry looked at his elbow, and sure enough, it was covered in butter, and hovering inches above the butter dish.

Suddenly, Harry vividly remembered something very similar happening in the summer before his second year.

Well, Karma had struck.

He looked at Ginny once again, ignoring the blush creeping, once again, onto his face. She was smiling now, and suddenly, Harry wanted nothing more than to kiss her. Before he could act on that impulse, however, the bell rang loudly.

'See you later, Harry,' said Ginny, who was still smiling, but look slightly confused. Harry thought he saw a faint blush on her cheeks too.




A/N- I had always believed that both Ron and Hermione were die-hard H/G shippers, but Harry was too dense to notice. I hope they don't seem OOC in this story.

Please drop in a review and tell me what you thought! Constructive criticism will be appreciated, and please do point out my mistakes, if any...

Thank you for reading!


Reviews 4
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear