Search:

SIYE Time:15:39 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


The First time
By Gryffinclaw_31

- Text Size +

Category: The I Love You Challenge (2020-2)
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Other, Teddy Lupin
Genres: Fluff, General, Romance
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 10
Summary: How does Harry finally say those three words?
Hitcount: Story Total: 1462



Disclaimer: All characters belong to JK Rowling. My work does not represent the site owners.





ChapterPrinter


Harry James Potter was the epitome of confusion as he dressed himself to visit his three-year-old godson and Andromeda. But that was not the reason for his unjustifiable confusion. It was an offhand comment on his apparent attention on his work (or lack of) by one of his colleagues.


They were filing all the case-reports, or at least, that's what they were supposed to do, but Harry's mind was instead focusing on the brilliant smile a certain red-head had when she wore her uniform. She was playing tomorrow, for the first time, as one of the first team Chasers and not a reserve player, and through her nervousness, Harry had seen the excitement bubbling out. He must've been staring at the same file for too long because Ron had snapped his fingers to get his attention, "Mate, we need to finish this, you've been stuck at that file for the past fifteen minutes, are you okay? Is the file of someone, you know, personal?"

"What? No! Nothing like that, sorry." He snapped the file shut and put it in the 'irrelevant' box, hoping that he did not resemble a tomato.

But it was Neville, Neville, whose comment was the reason for his confusion, "Don't worry, Ron, he's just day-dreaming about Ginny, and how much he loves her again. Harry, you do need to start working before someone comes to give us more useless tasks."

Ron had groaned and smacked the book on Neville's head, all the while muttering, "She's my sister."


OoOoOoOoOo

"How much he loved her."

He buttoned his shirt and looked into the mirror, his glasses were crooked and his hair even messier, but his eyes stared back with something alike amazement. It wasn't that he'd never thought about love before, after all, it was his mother's love that had kept him alive for so long. But this time it was different, did he love Ginny?

He shook his head as if to clear his mind; he didn't even know what love meant. He snorted at the irony, he did know what love was; he loved Teddy, and Andy, and Ron and Hermione, and all the Weasleys, but it wasn't the same with Ginny. Love took a whole new image where Ginny was concerned.

Buttoning the cuff, he did a final check before taking some Floo Powder in his hands. Coughing, he stumbled out of the Floo just as Andromeda walked into the parlour.

"Harry!" She shook his head at his antics as he straightened up.

"Andy! How're you? And Teddy?" he asked as they greeted each other with a hug.

She chuckled before saying, "We're very well, you saw us just three days ago."

He shot her a grin. "Well, a lot can change in 3 three days. Where's Teddy? He's usually jumping around by now."

"He's taking a nap actually- he was tired after school. He dozed off after lunch," she said from the passe-plat, "Tea?"

"With one teaspoon sugar, please," Harry said, settling on the sofa. His thoughts once again wandered to his topic of confusion.

"Did you love Ted?" he blurted out, cringing immediately afterwards. Of course, she did! What is wrong with you?

She looked at him with a raised eyebrow, "I should think so, Harry, I did go against my family to marry him."

He ducked his head, the tip of his ears burning, "No, I meant, of course, you do, sorry."

She walked to him and put the tea and biscuits on the table, "I think there's more to it than simply asking?"

He let out a long sigh. Since he'd already asked her such a silly question, he might as well ask her more. "I mean, I know you loved him, but err- how did you know that you loved him?"

She shot him a knowing look. Nodding wisely, she began, "For me, well, it was a bit different, Harry, being a Black didn't help at all. Ted just had a way with things. After he asked me out for the first time, I knew there was something about him." Her face took a faraway melancholic look.

Snapping back to the present, she smiled, "I'm sure you're not asking to recount my experience. I think I can tell you how.
Love, Harry, is a powerful force. You should know- you've experienced its raw power. Love can make you do terrible things or
beautiful things. Are you willing to give up anything for the person you love? Do they make you feel complete?
It's not having someone who never stops you, who never corrects you."

She looked at his eager face and continued,

"It's about having someone who helps you, sometimes by saying things which may not be sugar-coated, it's not about never disagreeing. It's about finding common ground, gaining a broader perspective, growing. Harry, is there someone out there, someone who makes you feel understood without the use of words? Someone who knows what to do when you're feeling down?" Her words painted a familiar picture.

"Then you know that you love them, and they almost certainly love you back. I know a lot of people who used to think love was without arguments, but that's quite untrue because no individual is perfect."

She chuckled as she continued, "I remember Ted and I had a huge argument about when Dora would be allowed to use a broom, and how we would manage it in this community. Eventually, he won, and he worked all night to figure out special charms he can install to make the broom safe, and Dora couldn't have been happier." She lapsed into silence as her smile turned forlorn.

Taking a deep breath, she continued, "It is a gut feeling, Harry, and after a while of getting to know each other, you would know."

She ended in a softer tone, "You would know," her smile was watery, reminding Harry of the bravery of the woman in front of him, she never failed to inspire him, and today was no different.

Ginny. A smile slowly blossomed on his face, he loved Ginny; a warm feeling spread through him. While Andromeda was speaking, Harry had slid off the sofa and sat on the rug. Now he looked up at her with a wide grin, though his stomach felt as if Snitches were trying to escape, his heart fluttered with a strange feeling.

"Ah, I know that look. Did my words fit someone's description?" She asked with a small smirk.

He felt the heat rise to his face before hesitantly replying "One, Ginny Weasley."

She leaned from her place and entwined their fingers, with a motherly and gentle smile, she said, "You should tell her."

He ran his hand through his hair, slowly nodding, when a loud crash from upstairs startled them. He bolted to his feet and was halfway across the room when Andromeda placed her hand on his shoulder, "It's Teddy."

They went up the stairs at a slower pace. The sound turned out to be the toy box's lid falling off, most certainly by magic. Teddy was making whoosh sounds like the toy-chasers, which were following a Quaffle tied to a rope Teddy held. Harry crept behind him and lifted him off the ground, turning the toddler so that he faced him. He grinned, "Teddy!"

"Hawwy!" the little boy's excited voice replied. Immediately his little hands wrapped themselves around Harry's legs. He lifted Teddy and pinched his nose. "Is my little Teddy ready to go to Holyhead?"

"Yes!" he shouted, raising his hands in delight, almost knocking Harry's glasses off.

"He needs to get ready first, properly." said a voice behind him.

Harry looked at Andromeda in confusion when she shook her head, "He only behaves in front of you!" Her tone was exasperated, but there was a smile on her face, "I'll go get ready then. You handle your dear godson."

He laughed and dressed Teddy quickly. "Where?" Teddy asked as Harry pulled the yellow T-shirt down.

"We're going to Floo to Holyhead, we'll have some fun in the market before going to Ginny, she's probably still practising," He answered, and held his hand out for Teddy.

They made their way downstairs.

"Hungry?" Harry asked. Teddy shook his head.

"Ganma!" Teddy shouted.

A muffled "Coming!" replied.

"So, what do you want to do first when we reach Holyhead?" Harry asked, crouching to Teddy's level, gently removing the thumb which he'd started sucking.

"Bwoomstick?" Teddy responded, swinging himself side-to-side.

Harry chuckled, "Only if grandma allows it," He replied.

"Alright, I'm ready! Harry, I've packed an extra set of clothes, in case Teddy decides to return to your flat." Andromeda said as she too came downstairs.

"Perfect!" Harry said before continuing, "Teddy, let's put the shoes on now!"

Teddy sat on his 'shoe-seat' and extended his right foot. Harry summoned Teddy's favourite shoes and helped Teddy put them on as Andromeda put hers on.

"Ready?" He asked, rising. An excited smile replied.

He lifted Teddy and walked back to the parlour. He threw some Floo powder into the fire, "Holyhead Inn." He covered Teddy's head with his hand so that the dust didn't get to him as he stepped out. A whoosh behind him confirmed Andromeda's entry.

The Snitches started whizzing in his stomach again. Ignoring them, he asked Andromeda, "Should we eat something?"

"Did you eat? Teddy might need a little snack, but I'm fine," she asked with a raised eyebrow.

Harry grinned sheepishly, they spent the rest of the time eating, playing; and most certainly buying chocolates.

He felt his wristwear warm-up and brought it to his face to see Ginny's smiling face appear on it.

"Gin!" He said, a smile blossoming on his face. She looked like she'd just come down after practising, she was glowing.

"Inny!" Teddy shouted from where his place Harry's shoulders.

"My boys! Where are you?" She blew them both a flying-kiss.

"We're at Holyhead, of course! Just waiting for Andromeda to come from the jewellery shop. We couldn't go in because of the ice-cream," Harry explained, showing her his almost-finished cone.

"Yummm, I'm off now, so you guys can come to the cottage, I'll be there in five. I've got to go now, Gwenog wants to brief us. See you soon!" She said as she looked over her shoulder and then back at them.

"Shee ya!" Teddy exclaimed.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOo

They were relaxing on Ginny's sofa.

Harry sat on the rug with Teddy as he tried to understand how to play the new Quidditch set Teddy bought. Teddy, on his part, was making something special with Ginny in the kitchen. Andromeda was reading Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, a muggle author.

"Harry," She began, Harry looked up from where the Quidditch blocks broke again as he murmured the wrong spell.

She smiled, "Any plans on talking to Ginny?"

Suddenly finding the manual in his hand very interesting, he answered her in what he hoped was a casual tone, "Oh, yeah. Soon."

Before she could say anything else, Ginny entered the room with a tray floating behind her, "Hot Chocolate!" She announced.

"Made with the help of Teddy Lupin!" She said as the glasses zoomed towards everyone.

"Is it done-is it done?" Teddy said, swinging his legs from his 'favourite' chair.

Harry looked at the broken blocks, then the manual, and at Teddy, "Almost buddy! It should be done by tomorrow!" He said in a cheerful tone, throwing the manual aside.

Ginny was watching them with a smile, shaking her head at Harry's antics, she drank from the mug. He shot her a grin, before looking the other way and biting his lip. Love.

He drank his hot chocolate and praised Teddy loudly on what a good job he'd done, and then summoned the manual again, sighing. He heard Ginny and Andromeda talk about various things until the topic settled on her match tomorrow.

"I'm not as nervous as I am excited, really, I just can't wait!" Ginny finished exclaiming.

It was not hard to see her excitement shine through her. "Ginny, I-"

She turned to face him and smiled, "Yeah?"

He said that out loud! Harry scratched his head and grinned, hoping that it looked convincing, "I'll be waiting for you at the clearing after the match,"

She looked amused, Andy had covered her mouth, probably hiding a grin.

"Thanks, Harry, you do always wait there," Ginny said, curiously looking at him. He made a big show of stretching his hands and returning to help Teddy with his drawing while fixing another block together.

"You do know that it can be done much quicker with magic, right?" Andromeda asked as she set her cup on the side-table.

Harry removed the bolt from his mouth and used the screwdriver he had conjured to fix the tallest hoop on the set, "Yeah, but that manual is not helpful, I'm going to stick to the muggle way,"

He looked over to Teddy who was focusing unusually hard on the drawing, his tongue stuck out at the corner of his mouth, and his hair was bright red.

"Inny, I made you tis!" Teddy said, bouncing to Ginny.

In the centre was a square with an oval on the top, it had long red hair and green robes, she was holding a tall broomstick. There was a Quaffle floating beside her and a Quidditch Pitch in the background.

"Woah, Teddy! That is such an awesome drawing!" Harry said, looking at the details Teddy had added to the drawing. There was the Harpies' Talon in the centre, and the colours were almost always within the outlines.

Ginny kneeled next to him to see the picture. "Aw, Teddy! This the best pre-match present I could get!" She wrapped Teddy into a tight hug.

Harry looked at Andromeda, who was beaming at them and smiled fondly. Harry, once again, got the tingly feeling- this was home, and he couldn't imagine spending his life in any other way.

"Well done, honey, that is an amazing drawing!" Andromeda said, smiling, once they had passed the drawing to her.

Teddy gave his adorable smile, "I want to be wike Inny when I grow up!"

Ginny pumped up her fist and stuck her tongue out at Harry. She slung an arm around Teddy and kissed his head, "He's going to be a Chaser,"

Harry was about to retort when the Quidditch stands came tumbling down, he moaned and fell on the rug.

"That's enough for today, off to bed, Teddy," Andromeda said after a while. They all decided that it was best for all of them to sleep earlier than usual.

OoOoOoOoOo

Harry caught the Snitch again. Its wings tickled his palm, but he paid no attention to it. Though he had been awake for an hour, he lay in bed, deep in thoughts.

He could feel the nervous energy. He couldn't help but wonder why it was so hard for him, to say those three words. He knew that they did not need words, but he had to let Ginny know.

He sighed and rolled out of bed.

Andromeda's pancakes smelled brilliant when he came down with Teddy, Ginny was already at the table, eating only a toast.

"Morning everyone! Ginny, you should eat more than that before a match," Harry added to his greeting as they settled at the table.

"Morning, Harry," Andromeda said, handing him his and Teddy's breakfast.

"Morning," Ginny mumbled, reminding him very much of Ron.

He stood up and held his hand out to Ginny. Looking at Andromeda, he signalled towards the lobby. Andy nodded and resumed feeding Teddy, who was listening to Andy's story with full attention.

"We're talking," He told Ginny as they exited the dining room. Harry leaned against the wall sideways and crossed his hands. Ginny stood unnaturally straight and looked at the floor with interest.

"Hey," Harry said, gently, causing Ginny to look up.

"Hey," Ginny said, attempting a smile.

"What's the matter, Gin?" Harry asked, even though he was pretty sure of it.

"It's just pre-match nerves, my flying today determines if I can become the team's permanent member, I've got so much at stake!" Ginny fiddled with her fingers as she said it.

Harry smiled, "Ginny Weasley, you are one of the best Chasers in the whole league. As someone who has seen you train, I am certain that you'll get the position. And if you don't, which is very unlikely, you'll know where to improve, and what to do the next time,"

Ginny gave him a real smile and wrapped her hands around him "Thanks, Harry,"

He rested his cheek on her head, "But if you don't eat, Gin, then you're not going to be able to do your best in the match, and if that happens, then you're automatically decreasing your chances."

A muffled, "Hmm," answered him.

He pulled apart and placed his hands on her shoulder, "Above all, know that I believe it you, your whole family and your team believes in you, your fans believe in you. And I want you to believe in yourself too.

In Quidditch, we only have two things- skill and confidence and they're both equally vital. At the end of the day, should things not go right, you'll know that you still have us." He finished, softly, but firmly.

Ginny was silent for a minute before she looked up and grinned, "Let's rock this game,"

Harry chuckled, "That's my girl,"

They returned to the table much more confident and happier.

Andy offered her some real breakfast. And the rest of the breakfast was passed hearing Teddy's stories about his school.

"Alright, I have to go now," Ginny slung her bag over her shoulder and kissed Andy and Teddy on the cheek. Harry was going with her to the changing room.

OoOoOo

"Now that's what the future Harpy looks like!" Harry exclaimed as Ginny came out of the changing room in her uniform, her hair tied in a long braid.

"I need a 'good luck' kiss," She declared, closing her eyes and wrapping her hands behind her, leaning towards him eagerly. He happily complied to her wishes.

"Weasley! We have a match to win! Say goodbye to your dashing boyfriend and get your butt here!" A voice caused them to break apart.

"Go rock this thing, Harpy's new star Chaser," Harry said finally.

Ginny beamed, "I will,"

He met with all the Weasleys enthusiastically. Everyone one of them, minus Fleur who had to take care of the one-year-old Victoire was there to cheer for Ginny.

Ron- for the first time- was dressed in green, "We'll show Tutshill Tornadoes what our little sister can do!" He claimed excitedly.

Hermione too was in a green jumper with a talon on it. George had tried to bet with his older brothers before Angelina had smacked him on the head, admonishing him. Harry grinned at all of them and accepted the warm hugs as everyone settled in the Family booth.

Ginny was everything a Chaser could be, and Harry was sure he could be heard across the stadium as he shouted Ginny's name. He could feel his heart hammer at times when Ginny almost got hit by a Bludger but managed to dive and then come right in front of the hoop, in a 'U' shape.
"And the Harpies Chaser Weasley for another shot! Weasley is on fire today," The commenter announced.

The match was a gripping one, with the teams always struggling to out-do each other.

"The Snitch! It's the Snitch! Tornadoes' and Harpies Seekers at it.
Oh! That would've hurt, Harpies Captain's well-aimed Bludger has- and that's the Snitch! Harpy's have won the match!" The stadium erupted in loud cheers.

Harry was sure his throat would be sore as he cheered along with them, Teddy joined him with just as much enthusiasm. "Harpies! Harpies! Harpies!"

OoOo

The press was merciless, Ginny wave and smile at them, she was radiant and he- he was ready. Sucking in a deep breath, he waited as she walked past the red-carpet, his stomach felt like he was doing constant Wronski Feints- could he do it?

"Sod it," He muttered and pushed his way through the fans and the press.

"Ginny!" He shouted, feeling much like a jelly-legged fan.

She must have recognised his voice because the next moment, she was rushing towards him, thankfully while the rest were distracted with Gwenog Jones so that most people did not follow her.

She wrapped her hands around him, and Harry thought he heard her sob. He smoothed her hair, murmuring how proud he was.

"I love you," He froze. That was not how he had meant to say it, amidst the press, but it was the first thing that came to his mind. And now that he had said it, it felt as if a huge weight had lifted off his shoulders.

Ginny hadn't moved from her place, she seemed to have frozen as well.

"Harry-" She said, a soft smile graced her features. There was no candlelight dinner, and their surroundings could only be described as humid and unromantic, but it was so Harry.

"I've wanted to hear it, and say it, for so long. I- I love you, Harry Potter, more than anything and anyone in the world," Her smile was welcoming, excited and bright.

And he, on his part, he who had never heard those words in his life, felt his eyes begin to water. He choked with emotions, giving her his own watery smile.

And then without thinking, without planning, without caring about the fact that the press was watching this and that it would grace tomorrow's papers, Ginny kissed him. It was the best feeling in the world- like he was soaring, and he knew that their relationship- that they themselves, had transformed in that very moment.

OoOoOo

And for days to come, they would murmur the three words repeatedly, laughing, hugging, kissing- away in their own little world, never forgetting the first time- or the Daily Prophet the next day.

OoOoOoOoOo
Author's note: I hope you liked it- your reviews always put a smile on my face and trust me, they always inspire me to work harder, and they're my only way of knowing your opinions! A special thanks to Arnel for beta-ing the first part.
Reviews 10
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear