Search:

SIYE Time:4:59 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Seeing the Light
By wandandquill

- Text Size +

Category: Night Time Challenge (2010-6), Night Time Challenge (2010-6)
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Fluff, Romance
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 4
Summary: Ginny drinks some of Harry's Eyesight Correction Potion, which enables her to see Harry in a different light. The side effects allow Ginny to see the heat signature of people and objects giving her an eerie night vision and visual edge during the day.
Hitcount: Story Total: 3827



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
The storey was written for the SIYE night time challenge (2010-6), but it was not completed in time and needed refining.




ChapterPrinter


Seeing the Light

Harry's eyes looked up from the study table by the window, where Hermione was in deep discussion with him. He was slowly tuning out as she went through her potion recipe from, A Healers Guide to Eyesight Corrections and Remedies by a medieval witch Elsie Booth. Hermione was explaining not for the first time, to reassure him how the potion worked, its effects and how she had brewed the potion carefully and exactly to the complicated method of preparation.

There on the table was a glass vessel of the shimmering pale blue liquid with a fluorescent tint. Hermione had been adamant that she had done her research into this. Now he felt trapped as the potion sat on the table in front of him, taunting him. Something deep down unsettled his mind about this and that made him hesitant! Sure the notion of not having to wear glasses was an advantage when it came to Quidditch.

But Ginny’s passing comment, “Well I think that Harry’s glasses give him character.” Had taken Harry by surprise, he now found himself swooning over Ginny’s complement. Further reinforcing his feelings for her, if only he chastised himself he had been a little bolder at the Burrow. He should have let his true feelings bubble to the surface to let her know he was interested in being more than friends. Then, she might, just might have considered him, as a suitable candidate for a boyfriend.

Whilst Harry trusted Hermione’s potion brewing skills and her interpretation of this old potion book, he wasn’t really interested. He had played along for an easy life and to keep the peace. This had already backfired, as a few days ago during a morning break, when Ron had wanted to talk about the up and coming Quidditch season and the new team. Ron had butted in on the conversation, rudely interrupting Hermione's gentle hints on her potion.

The spat that had followed was worse than their normal bickering. Ron had been frosty to both of them ever since, not helped by Ginny's ribbing. She had been sitting nearby at the time and had excelled at winding up her brother ever since, about getting his priorities right. Harry could not resist in smirking at her comments, which Ron took badly as always when his family ganged up on him.

The sound of the portrait door sealing with a reassuring low thump had distracted Harry to look up, for there stood the girl with long flaming red hair, hanging loose over her shoulders Ginny Weasley. She had a mildly annoyed expression on her face as she looked down behind her, at Dean Thomas's hand on her hip. Dean stood behind her oblivious to her reaction to him helping her through the portrait hole.

Ginny turned her head back round with a hard blazing look as she scanned the room and met Harry's eyes giving him a small shy smile, but looked away quickly and walked over to a couple of her dorm mates. Harry blushed and looked down, 'Merlin she's cute,' ran through his mind, as he looked back to Ginny moving across the common room with Dean in tow.

Ginny sat and chatted while Dean stood unsure as to what to do. After a few minutes of awkward conversation Dean excused himself and briskly went up the stairs to the boy’s dorm. Harry had been watching and muttered, “Prat.” under his breath as he went up the stairs.

Hermione questioned his barely audible utterance, “Pardon?”

Harry mumbled, “Nothing.” Hermione looked to where Harry was now gazing towards Ginny and her friends, sighing and realising that Harry was now mesmerised once again by Ginny's appearance.

“Anyway, Harry,” Hermione firmly continued, as Harry slowly dragged his eyes away from Ginny. Hermione started to pour the pale blue shimmering liquid, part filling the glass for him to try.

Harry now felt trapped as he looked round, incoherent words fell out of his mouth making excuses. “Sorry, Hermione um … there’s too many people around I um … I can't concentrate let’s finish our transfiguration homework first … I need to go to the bathroom.”

Hermione knew that she was now on to a looser with Ginny’s appearance and using a simple wand movement siphoned the potion back into the vessel, in a graceful flowing arc. Placing it with the glass down on the window sill beside her, Hermione looked back at Harry as he lingered on the bottom steps looking at Ginny and sighed knowing how it felt to see the one you had feelings for just ignoring you, ‘now you know how it feels Harry,’ went through her mind.

Hermione now remembered the frown that had appeared on Harry's face in Fred and George’s shop, when they had questioned Ginny about her five alleged boyfriends. His face had dropped when Ginny had answer that she was going out with Dean Thomas.
It was now obvious to Hermione that this news had come as a complete surprise to Harry. He had looked hurt at the realisation that Ginny had a new boyfriend. The expression on his face had changed as the news sank home to one of annoyance, as if he was at fault for this piece of news.

At the time Hermione had not read too much into it this, as years of experience with Harry had taught her that he buried his emotions deep. The subsequent detour to Borgin and Burke's following Draco Malfoy had erased that from her mind until now.

Harry quickly returned and true to his word he completed his transfiguration essay on The Animagus Transformation, this for once was an area Harry felt confident writing about and distracted his mind away from that potion. Ron had returned before they finished and joined them for a while, but seeing them both working and not wanting to join in any conversation, had stalked off in a huff.

In the meantime Dean had come back down, but Ginny just smiled at him and he too left in a sulk after a brief chat. Harry's parchment was nearly as long as Hermione's usual standard and Harry felt pleased with his efforts.

Harry's smirk did not go unnoticed by Hermione both times Dean had been forced to abandon Ginny. He looked over often, particularly when Ginny's laughter met his ears. Hermione looked between them watching and as Ginny’s group broke up, gave an imperceptible nod to come over.

Harry tried to avert his eyes from Ginny and not stare, but failed as she came over smiling. “Hi.” Greeting them cheerfully. They were now alone in the common room, Hermione turned and lifted the potion vessel alone with the glass back onto the table.

Ginny's eyes lit up, “What’s this Hermione, trying to get extra credits with Horace Slughorn, this does not look like any potion I have seen before. What is it?” In her cheery voice.

Hermione glared at Ginny after the comment about extra credits. “No, this has nothing to do with Horace Slughorn.”

“Oh!” Ginny replied looking at Hermione and Harry who blushed slightly.

Hermione continued, “It’s unusual, I agree ... I found the potion during my study over the summer and I just needed a quiet place to brew it, as it takes three days on a low cauldron and needs a week to mature.”

Ginny stepped closer to the table almost touching Harry. “I see! So what is it then?”

Harry caught a whiff of Ginny’s flowery scent, due to her close proximity. It was stirring his feelings for her and it took all his willpower to not to reach out, to touch her.

Hermione removed the stopper allowing Ginny to smell the vapour. “This smells nice and has a wonderful shimmering blue colour Hermione.” Looking and waiting for Hermione to enlighten her.

As Ginny lent over some of her long vibrant hair cascaded free over her shoulder. Harry breathed in more of Ginny's flowery scent overwhelming his senses and he commented. “That’s not the only thing that smells nice.” Before he could stop himself.

Ginny blushed, but only Hermione could see as Ginny pushed her hair back over her shoulder not daring do look at Harry. Some stray strands lingered and Harry's hand came up reflexively and brushed them back over her shoulder. This sent tingles through Ginny's body as she breathed in the vapours with renewed interest trying to hide her body quivering from Harry's touch.

The somewhat seductive calming effect of the vapours overwhelmed Ginny, the fragrance was a light fine warming cinnamon spicy scent. “This smells a bit like Felix Felicis and it has a similarity to that love potion that Slughorn was brewing in Potions … but it’s clear, not with a mother of pearl sheen.”

“Oh!” Ginny suddenly exclaimed. “This is naughty of you Hermione, you being a prefect and all … I see the rebel in Ron, with Fred and George's bad influence is leading you astray.”

“No,” Hermione admonished Ginny. “It’s a potion to improve vision.”

“Right,” Ginny nodded with a grin on her face that matched Harry's. “So this is some form of love potion, so who’s the lucky boy?” Her voice teasing.

Hermione blushed this time, “No its not!” As Ginny smirked.

“So part of its qualities are to clear the boys vision to make him see the true beauty and love that lurks right under his nose like a rather dense brother of mine,” Ginny retorted.

“No!” Hermione answered rather tersely as Ginny smirked and glanced at Harry who was also smirking. “It’s a potion to improve vision and eyesight for Harry. So he does not have to wear his glasses, his eyes are really bad.”

“Oh!” Ginny replied. “Sorry Harry... Hermione I just.”

Hermione continue, “But, if it was some sort of love potion, to let the person truly see who their love is I know somebody I would feed it to ... several somebody’s … but I’m not that sort of person to interfere. They will just have to figure it out by themselves.” Glaring back at them.

Harry looked up at Hermione. “Yeah that’s fine Hermione but it would save a lot of hassle for everybody else.”

“Would it!” Hermione gave Harry a knowing look.

Harry replied, “Yes it would, I mean look at my disastrous flirtation with Cho Chang.”

Ginny teased, “Maybe, but there are a lot of girls talking about you.” Ginny raked her eyes over Harry. “And frankly Harry I can see why, you’re pretty fancy able.”

“Ginny that may be true, but it’s a well know fact that they don’t make people fall in love,” Hermione interrupted.

“But,” Ginny continued. “It might make them aware of their feelings, you know what boys are like.” Looking at Hermione, who looked at Harry.

They both looked at Harry. “What! ... just because I have the two most beautiful girls in Gryffindor as my friends.”

They both looked at Harry searchingly, he continued. “It’s true ... anyway I know I am safe with you two trying to feed me a love potion, your both taken.” Ginny snickered and Hermione glared daggers at both Harry and Ginny.

“Anyway,” Hermione continued. “This is getting off the subject ... your vision and this potion.”

“Well,” Harry questioned. “I'm just not sure, it’s a big step and well my eyesight is … well I don’t want to make it any worse.”

Hermione sighed and looked imploringly at Ginny for help. Ginny took the hint with a wry smile, picking up the potion vessel and pouring out the blue liquid gently into the glass. As it swirled into the glass small bubbles formed giving off its delicate aroma, Ginny picked the glass up to inhaled the scent.

Shaking her head trying to clear the effects made her vibrant hair shimmer even more in the light. “If this is not a lo...”

Harry grunted and Hermione rolled her eyes, Ginny looked at her. “Sorry Hermione but this has such a more-ish nose to it … its got to taste good.”

Hermione looked at Harry who was staring at Ginny almost in a daydream. Ginny looked back to Hermione and then down to Harry, she could tell Harry was not buying into this. He was not going to take it.

“Look Harry ... I,” Ginny sighed. “Oh very well and sipped it.”

“Merlin!” She exclaimed. “This is real nectar to drink.” And Ginny started to drink it down closing her eyes.

“Ginny!” Hermione hissed, Ginny opened her eyes and stared at Hermione mid gulp and stopped.

“Sorry that tastes bloody good a real thirst quencher.”

Ginny handed the glass to Harry. “Look if it does nothing to your eyes, your mouth and throat will savour it … if you don’t want it, I’ll finish it.” Harry looked at Ginny’s hard blazing look and could see her earnest response as being true.

Harry reluctantly took the glass from Ginny's hand and sniffed the potion, pausing briefly he drank the potion down in one slow smooth movement upending the glass and draining every last drop. Harry slowly put the glass down next to the empty glass vessel.

“Merlin that did taste good it’s the best medicine I have ever tasted.”

Ginny smirked, “I can vouch for that.” And continued. “Got any more Hermione?”

“No it’s not easy to make, that’s all you get from a five gallon cauldron of raw ingredients,” Hermione answered. “The potion takes a few hours or so to start to work and several days for you eyes to adjust completely.”

Harry smiled again, “I’m whacked, I need to go to bed.” Harry stood and squeezed Ginny’s hand, “Thanks Ginny, Hermione lets hope it works see you in the morning.”

Ginny watched Harry walk light headed to the stairs to the boys dorm, he turned and looked back at them smiling and set off up the stairs. Ginny felt dizzy and tingled all over not sure if it was the potion or Harry’s hand squeeze. Hermione spoke. “You okay Ginny?”

“Yeah couldn't be better.”

With a satisfied smile on her face, Hermione packed Harry’s and her stuff up and set off with Ginny to the girls stairs.

Harry cleaned his teeth and got changed into his pyjamas quickly sliding into bed. Laying there feeling very content, Hermione had praised his homework for Professor McGonagall and Ginny had spent a little time around him, smiling to himself that Dean Thomas had gone to bed with his tail between his legs.

Harry drifted off to sleep, but awoke all to soon as his stomach was churning, realising what was about to happen and throwing the curtains back he ran to the toilets making it just in time, as his stomach lurched and lost the contents in one somewhat graceful vomit. Harry stood panting for a while before having a drink of cold water and returning to bed, 'Thanks Hermione' but then again, maybe he had eaten to many puddings earlier.

Ginny also awoke in the middle of the night. She felt content and cocooned safe behind the curtains of her four poster bed. Slowly coming too after having had a very pleasant dream about Harry, whom she could not stop thinking about. He had brushed the loose strands of stray hair back and squeezed her hand before leaving the common room, but more importantly he had paid her complements. Maybe it was the potion, but it had sent tingles to parts of her body no other had ever done, certainly not Dean.

Somehow the tinge of guilt Ginny felt about the effect of Harry’s physical contact, reinforced by his complements just drained away. Dean was now becoming an unwanted intrusion in her mind, was she really interested in him? Sighing she decided to have a drink of water and opened her eyes. She took a double take at what she could see, a couple of miniature tiny insects flying around under her darkened canopy.

They had a ghostly translucent colour and fluoresced in the dark, she imagined them to be one of Luna’s Wrackspurt's. Ginny closed her eyes and opened them slowly, now there were three of them as they glided around effortlessly, or were they Nargle's she wondered.

Ginny lay there for a while looking up into the darkness of the canopy watching, finally she pulled the curtain back. Now she could see a few more moving around the dorm in seemingly random patterns, passing through walls without effort.

Ginny looked round her dorm and realised she could not only see almost perfectly well in the dark, but also could see through things, she stood and stared in disbelief as her eyes became more accustomed and she focused on her sleeping room mates, she could see there sleeping forms it was heat of their bodies, some in vivid colours not wearing much behind there closed curtains.

Ginny looked down at her hands, they had a yellow to red warm bright colour she looked back at her sleeping room mates and realise she could see in the infra-red spectrum. She could see peoples and objects heat signatures, wandering into the bathroom Ginny could see the hot water pipes glow bright yellow.

Experimenting with the lanterns on or off Ginny had trouble taking in what she was seeing, 'Wow! This is something,' going to the toilet in the dark and washing her hands the colour of the water was light blue for cold and red from the hot taps.

-~-

The next morning Ginny did not see Harry or Hermione, so she was not able to find out if what she was seeing was a normal reaction to the potion. Dean had dragged her off to the Library after tea followed by a detour afterwards. Now she found herself on a long dark back stairwell with Dean snogging.

Dean had her pressed gently against the wall on a landing half way up the deserted staircase, when she became aware that they were not alone. Harry was passing slowly under his invisibility cloak, she could see his body heat silhouetted under a ghostly outline of shimmering material.

Ginny became distracted by Harry’s long searching look, although it was a dark and barely lit on the staircase she could see the heat of Harry's facial features under his invisibility cloak, it was a look Ginny could not place at first, but she had seen it before on Harry's face.

Unable to break eye contact she watched Harry as he slowly passed. Dean moved his attention to Ginny's neck as her eyes and head turned to follow him, then reality hit Ginny, that look she had seen it in her brother’s shop and on the train, he had been disappointed at the realisation of Ginny being with Dean.

As Harry disappeared at the top of the staircase Ginny became desperate, this was wrong being with Dean, not if Harry had feelings for her. She needed to know, quickly making a lame excuse and sending Dean back to the common room she left him, setting off to follow Harry.

There in the distance on the seventh floor corridor outside the Room of Requirement she found him waiting as still as a statue. Ginny studied him for a long time and making up her mind tapped a suit of armour to get his attention. Then very slowly with deliberate intent she walked up the corridor letting Harry observe her in detail.

Not only could Ginny see Harry under his invisibility cloak, but she could also see the outline of the door into the Room of Requirement, it was odd because as she tilted her head the outline shimmered and became opaque returning to the grey stone boring corridor wall, she turned her head and looked at Harry, who was watching her intently.

Looking at Harry she repeated her head tilt again she watched as Harry's slightly fuzzy coloured face faded and started to faze out of sight, interesting very interesting Ginny thought. Now merely feet away she closed the distance in a casual slow pace and stood close in front of Harry and studied him, he had not moved leaning back against the wall.

As Harry stared back stock still, Ginny inched closer and placed her hands on his shoulders, leaning in and kissing him lightly on the lips through the cloak and stood back. But at that moment a noise behind her shook them out of their silent stares, as the door of the Room of Requirement appeared and Draco Malfoy's voice could be heard.

Ginny looked around in alarm, she was to far away from either end of the corridor to run and hide, without a second thought Ginny dipped down and found the edge of Harry's invisibility cloak and lifted it up over her head. Harry caught on, helping it up and over her in one clean flowing move as Ginny pressed herself close to him.

Draco Malfoy, Gregory Goyle and Vincent Crabbe emerged. Draco’s drooling voice was boasting as usual. “This is a very important task, but with your help it should be done by Christmas and he will be pleased.”

As the door sealed they walked off, Ginny still pressed lightly against Harry looked back into Harry’s face and their eyes met, Harry was flustered and by the colours of his cheeks was blushing.

Ginny asked him, “What’s he up to?”

Harry was almost unable to answer with Ginny pressed so close to him. “That’s what I would like to know … whatever it is it won’t be good.” Ginny nodded.

Harry was now transfixed by the warmth, the close soft contact of Ginny's body against his and her flowery scent, this was the scent he had smelt before, but under the cloak it was concentrated. Harry found his voice, “How did you find me, I thought the cloak was infallible.”

Ginny smiled, “The Potion … I saw you come up the back stairway the way you looked at me … I had to find out … you had a longing look.”

He answered calmly, “But you were with Dean.”

Ginny not breaking eye contact, “I fobbed him off, he wasn't happy, I told him I needed the bathroom had something to do!”

Harry remained transfixed by Ginny, her close presence. He was intoxicated by her as Ginny broke the silence. “I … I kissed you to … to see … to see … if.”

Harry had started to dip his head unable to resist and Ginny follow through closing the gap, kissing him, it was soft and gentle.

Ginny broke the kiss licking her lips feeling brave, “That was nice … very nice.”

Harry sighed, “Yes it was … Ginny we can’t … its wrong”

Ginny searched his eyes. “Dean!” it was a statement. Ginny hesitated, “Oh yes well, I only chose Dean because I thought you weren’t interested in me … he’s nice … the best I … out of a motley bunch … he’s not you Harry.”

Taking a deep breath, “I’ll lay my heart on the line here Harry. It’s you that I want to be with.” Shaking her head momentarily, making her vibrant loose hair shimmer. “Anybody else is a poor substitute.”

Harry closed the gap and silenced her with a long gentle kiss, their tongs touched in alight caressing way sending a spark of inner warmth between them. His hands slowly moving around her and pressed against Ginny’s back above her hips as Ginny’s arms slid around his back to his shoulder blades.

As they broke the kiss both whispered. “Merlin!” and smiled, kissing again. Harry feeling his Gryffindor courage surge within him asked, “So I have a chance with the most beautiful redheaded girl in my arms?”

Ginny teased, “If you are not going to be a noble prat and reject me!”

Harry shook his head, “Ginny, no way”

Kissing him briefly, Ginny whispered, “But I have a duty to tell Dean first.” Harry nodded as Ginny sighed and she buried her face into Harry’s neck.

Walking back to the common room Harry entered first and Ginny followed a couple of minutes later. Going straight to Dean and leading him out by the hand and down the corridor to an alcove. Dean went to cuddle Ginny but she put her hands up stopping him. “No Dean I can't! You’re a nice boy but it would be wrong.”

Dean exclaimed, “What!”

Ginny spoke in a gentle voice, “Dean, I am sorry but this is never going to work, my heart is not in it.” Looking him in the eye, “This relationship is going nowhere Dean.”

He shook his head pleading, “Ginny, let me … please.”

But Ginny shook her head, “Dean I can’t commit to you, I will only break you heart … I won’t lead you on … I’m sorry.” She turned and with a small sniff ran back down the corridor past the fat lady, leaving Dean stunned, open mouthed, lost.

Dean returned sometime later with a face as long as a Hippogriff. As Ginny did not return, Harry became worried and after ten minutes scanned the room. Ron was engrossed with Dean and Seamus nobody was paying him attention so Harry slipped out of the common room. Being near to curfew and not seeing Ginny, Harry donned his invisibility cloak again to avoid prefects and teachers.

He walked to the far end of the corridor towards the great hall and back in the other direction keeping the fat lady in sight. Then he heard Ginny call, she was by a window further down the corridor.

As Harry approached her, he lifted up his cloak and Ginny gratefully snuggled under and up against him, “You okay?”

Ginny smiled, “Yeah, now I am with you.” They stood drinking in each other in the private world under the cloak.

Ginny turned and looked out of the window, “You know I just fancy flying.”

Harry nodded, “But its dark.”

Ginny smiled and kissed Harry. “That’s not a problem with my enhanced eyesight, that potion Hermione made it’s had a strange effect on my eyesight.”

Harry smiled, “Oh! So there's more to you hidden talents, than managing to find me under my invisibility cloak.”

Ginny smirked, “Yes, but its more than that really, its not that I can see in the dark, it’s more like I can see the heat signature of objects, its very surreal.”

“It’s weird and bizarre all in one. Last night when I woke up I could see magical insects in the dark, Wrackspurts as Luna would call them. I'm not sure really, but they were a bluey greeney colour but their wings were a dark orange. During the day most things appear normal, it’s only when I tilt my head that I can see the colours how warm the objects are, their temperatures. But at night it’s the other way round. So for instance the lake is a deep purple, and the trees that have been in the sun are very dark reddy tinge to the tops, but the bottoms in the shade are a purpley blue. I can also see Therstrals which are a cold dark blue.”

“When I kissed you first while you were under your cloak I could see you blush, it was amazing.”

Harry smiled, “It was.” And as she tilted her head Harry slowly ducked down and gave Ginny a soft gentle kiss pulling back. “You are amazing.”

Ginny smiled warmly at Harry, “Thanks it’s nice to be here … so you can’t see any better at all?”

Harry sighed, “No I was just violently sick.”

Ginny in a reassuring voice, “Oh well as I can see in the dark and I am too excited now that I have you, are you going to grant me my wish and take me for a ride on your Firebolt?”

Harry replied eagerly, “Yeah, that would be nice but how are we going to get out of the castle.”

Ginny stared into Harry’s eyes, “You are a prat at times aren’t you Potter.”

Harry looked hurt as Ginny smirked, “You have a map of Hogwart’s … an invisibility cloak and a bloody fantastic broom.”

Harry muttered, “Sorry, Wrackspurts.”

Ginny looked round, “Can't see any … lets go back to Gryffindor tower and fake going to bed. You get your Quidditch cloak and I can snuggle up under close to you, when you fly up to my dorm window and off we go.”

Harry smirked this time, “Sounds good to me as long as Ron or Dean are not about and it’s after curfew now.”

Ginny retorted, “Good point, why don’t I sneak in behind you under your cloak and that way they won’t question me and you can just fob them off that you were following Draco Malfoy which you have been.”

Harry made his way straight to the boys dorm stairs, nipping across the common room without making eye contact, on entering his dorm all was quiet. Quickly closing his curtains and opening the window he pulled on his Quidditch cloak and mounting his broom with practised ease, before gliding out the window. Turning and pushed the window almost shut on the latch in less than a minute.

Flying across to the girls side of the tower and seeing Ginny's flaming red hair, back lit by her room light Harry flow up to her. Ginny nimbly slipped onto the broom in front of Harry as he slipped his arms around her and onto the broom handle,

“Comfy?” She nodded and Harry did a rolling dive off down to the Quidditch pitch and slowed the broom to a hover by one of the moon lit hoops. “Okay as you can see where we are going, you’re in charge.”

Ginny dipped the broom. “Hold tight.” She called and sped off in a straight line increasing speed over the Forbidden Forest, without warning pulling turns, looping the loop followed by rolls and dives. Pushing the broom and the limits further, during one such turn and inversion the broom turned so tightly that Ginny's hand slipped off, her weight went fully against Harry's chest. He regained control and rolled them over whilst relishing the contact of Ginny’s body.

“Thanks Harry,” Ginny chimed.

Harry leaned in speaking softly into her ear, “You can take advantage of the extra weight on the broom and the inertia that it causes, but you need to lay further forward and I can flatten myself down more.”

Their bodies now pressed close to each other, Ginny repeated the move and it worked better. She repeated some of the other moves with Harry's encouragement. “See Ginny, big difference.”

Ginny’s happy voice rang out, “Yes, I understand now and feel safe trying these out with you.” She also felt the warmth of him stretched out on top of her, it was close to say the least but she felt comfortable with Harry so close.

“Now, let’s try a couple of spinning loops and head back,” Harry suggested.

This worked well until the g-force pressed him rather to close against Ginny’s back, relaxing his grip he moved away, but without warning in the dark Ginny put the broom into a spin. His hand came off the broom and gripped reflexively around her waist to stop himself falling off. Ginny righted the broom forcefully and he was again pressed tightly against her body as they dropped down and skimmed over the lake inches above the surface and around the edge in a long flowing fast arc.

Ginny issued a warning, “Hold me close, one more loop up and back to the tower.”

Ginny kept the speed up as they climbed up the hill towards the castle and at the last minute she pulled the broom up, using the inertia to climb rapidly up the vertical castle wall before looping tightly. Harry held on tight, his arms rapped securely around Ginny locking their bodies together as his hands grasped on to the broom. They landed gracefully between the roofs forcing their bodies close together several more times.

Ginny exclaimed, “That was great thanks Harry, in more ways than just flying.”

Harry embarrassed response followed, “Um yes.”

Ginny turned and looked at Harry seeing his face heat with embarrassment, she smiled at him and pulled him close. “You did nothing wrong with me, other than keep me safe and secure and I am not complaining”

Ginny held Harry looking into his eyes seeing the torment as he struggled to find the right reply. “Harry, you don’t need to be frightened of being close to me, remember I was in charge and maybe I like the feeling of you holding me and pressing against me.” Ginny bit her bottom lip.

As Harry smiled back, “Yeah, maybe I like it as well … I just don’t want to screw this up by being to forward … you mean a lot to me.” Ginny closed the gap and kiss him putting him out of his misery.

As the clock struck midnight, they pulled apart reluctantly just revelling in being together. Harry with a happy smile proclaimed. “You’re fantastic Ginny … I can’t find the right words to do you justice.”

Ginny blushed and gave him a chaste kiss, “I know the feeling … come on let’s get the cloak over us and get back to the dorm.”

Ginny put his arm around her waist after he unfolded the invisibility cloak over them, “Hold tight we don’t want any more slips or getting caught do we!” Smirking at him.

Harry smiled back whispering, “No.”

-~-

The next day Harry woke after a very good nights sleep, ’Merlin could Ginny fly!’ Having her in his arms, with her back pressed against his chest and that roof top snog. A warm contentment emanated within him, as Harry bounced out of bed and showered before meeting Hermione down stairs for breakfast. Ron trudged down after Harry having just fallen out of bed and dressed.

On entering the great hall Harry made a bee line for Ginny and sat diagonally opposite her, as Hermione eyed him with suspicion. Ron grumbled about walking so far up the Gryffindor table, as Harry and Ginny exchanged greetings warmly and got on with their breakfasts,

Hermione chatted to Ginny and asked casually, “So, what did Dean Thomas do?”

Ginny glared at Hermione but did not answer, so she probed a little deeper. “Well he came back to the common room after you took him out with a face like Ron.”

“What!” Ron spluttered toast crumbs covering the table.

Ginny looked at her brother and shook her head. “What!” Ron exclaimed again.

Ginny avoiding Harry’s eyes answered, “Simple Hermione, I realised that I was leading him on, he is a nice boy but not for me.”

Ron grunted, “Good.” and then stuffed half a sausage into his mouth.

When Ginny arrived in the Potions class room it had a different smell to it, gone were the three cauldrons of the days before. Now sat a single silver cauldron, simmering under a cold blue flame. As the class settled Ginny inhaled the minty soothing vapours, which were somewhat soporific on first inhalation. This soon disappeared as the sinuses were cleared and the mind focused, all fuzzy thoughts eradicated.

Ginny tilted her head and was surprised by what she could see. Instead of the flames being hot and the cauldron glowing orange to white hot, in her altered vision the flames remained a cold blue and the cauldron was a deep purple colour with beads of water vapour condensing on the cold surface.

Professor Slughorn called the class to attention as the last remaining stragglers came in and quietly closed the door. “Now today our potions lesson will concentrate on brewing our potions at the correct temperature, how to control a simmer and cool a potion. I am sure that you have all have had experience of a potion overheating, boiling over or simply spoiling for being to hot when a low heat is called for.”

“Well cooling charms can be used effectively on a lot of potions, but some like this one will spoil. Here crystals will precipitate out, or it will turn milky rendering the potion useless. For these potions a standard cauldron will hinder retaining too much heat when you need to cool it. Thus a Silver, Gold and sometimes a Platinum cauldron the most difficult to use even in experienced hands is required. Which brings me to this Silver cauldron any thoughts?” He asked the room at large.

Ginny's hand shot up, Slughorn nodded to her. “Miss Weasley.”

“Well although the potion appears to be simmering steaming hot it is in fact very cold almost freezing. The vapour on top is rising in a spiral and then condensing into ice crystals and dropping back down onto the surface and re-liquidising, or onto the sides and a frost is forming around the table top”

Ginny continued seeing Slughorn beaming at her. “The flame is a cold flame ice cold and it’s cooling the liquid causing it to appear to simmer.”

“Very good Ginny most perceptive any further observations.”

“Well it’s an inverse potion.”

“What!” Others muttered. Ginny hesitated

Slughorn nodded, “Go on.” He encouraged beaming at her bouncing up and down on the balls of his feet.

“Well without the cooling flame the potion would warm up and vaporise at normal room temperature and just disappear.”

“Splendid well done Ginny, I see you are not only good at spells but have the making of a good potions student as well, twenty points to Gryffindor.”

“Now who can tell me about what this potion might be used for.” Ginny's hand went up again.

“Oh ho oh … do carry on,” Slughorn chuckled.

Ginny now on a roll, “Well on first inhalation it seems to have a mild sedative effect, but as you breathe it in, it seems to clear the airways and sharpen the brain making one see … well the wood from the trees to use an expression.”

“And its use,” Slughorn prompted.

“I would think it is some form of medicine, yes to possible use on someone who has been confounded, or is seeing things like Wrackspurts for instance.” Several people in the class laughed at his Luna nodded, Slughorn beamed at Ginny.

“Yes quite right, I am making this for a healer at St Mungo's, you may laugh,” He said to the rest of the class. “But maladies of the mind are quite difficult to clear, another twenty points to Gryffindor.”

“Now back to our potion for today, I will offer a small vial of this potion to the best potion brewed.” Winking at Ginny who blushed, and to no ones surprise Ginny won hands down, as they lined up their test tubes on Slughorn’s desk. Ginny's potion was the only one that was a clear fluorescent amber colour, with a frost forming at the surface of the liquid around the outside of the test tube.

Ginny accepted the vial and decided that she might take a swig of it later, to clear the effects of Hermione's potion for Harry. Although in many ways she was enjoying the extra insight.

-~-

Later that day Harry got a note from a first year, ‘odd’ Harry thought. He had already received his note from Dumbledore requesting his presence on Saturday evening. Harry opened it and saw it was from Professor Slughorn an invitation to dinner at the SlugClub. Harry smirked, tough luck got out of that one and Snape's detention to.

Harry looked up to see Ron and Hermione walking towards him.

Hermione scroll in hand, “Oh good you got one as well.”

Harry smiled, “Unfortunately I can’t go.” Ron’s scowl lightened.

Hermione remembered, “Oh yes your meeting with Dumbledore I had completely forgotten.”

Ron’s face went dark again and Harry sighed, “Sorry.”

When he met Ginny later she pulled out her roll of parchment, Harry's heart fell in disappointment, for Ginny never got invitations to this sort of thing and they could have been together for the evening.

“Sorry Ginny, but I have already got an appointment with Dumbledore that evening, and I can’t say I would have been keen to go to the SlugClub anyway. He’s just trying to collect me.”

Ginny sighed and her face fell, “I know, what you mean.”

Harry kissed her on the forehead, “It would have been nice to spend an evening with you though and have a meal together.”

Ginny smiled and kissed Harry on the lips, “That’s kind.” She replied brightly.

“Harry what are you doing with Dumbledore and why? … I suppose I won’t go to the SlugClub.” Her demeanour deflating as she ended.

Ginny started to blush, “Sorry, that did not come out right, I’m being very nosey.” Nervously looking up at him and biting her bottom lip.

Harry smiled at her, “It’s all right, and you’re not being nosey.”

“But I am!” She replied earnestly.

“No you are not,” Harry shook his head to reinforce his answer. “Its all right, I don’t mind you asking at all. You’re curious and so am I.”

He pulled her gently close to him, hugging her warmly. “I’m sorry Ginny. It would have been good to spend the evening with you without hiding from everyone, as far for what Dumbledore will teach me I have no idea … and as to why I suppose it has something to do with the prophecy and about me ultimately having to face him.”

Harry explained Dumbledore’s wish to take a more personal roll in his training and his thoughts as far as he understood.

As she leaned into him when he finished, Harry realised how special Ginny was. He should make her a higher priority in his life, for until now he had had no one that he cared for so deeply, the way he cared for Ginny.

-~-

The next day during a free period Harry slipped away from Ron and went to Dumbledore's office, the gargoyle leapt aside at the password ‘Liquorice Wands’ and Harry rose up the moving staircase to the office door and knocked. This had seemed like a good idea earlier, but on entering as Dumbledore welcomed Harry and enquired as to what was troubling him Harry hesitated.

Harry flushed, “Well I was wondering if I could postpone our meeting on Saturday night to say Sunday or Monday.” Dumbledore peered over his half moon spectacles at Harry. “You see I have had an invitation to Horace Slughorn’s …
um SlugClub and I well.”

“I see,” Dumbledore finished for him. “I am a bit surprised to say the least with your request, as I warned you about him.”

Harry blushed, “Yes, I know and I … well I just thought after what you said about his contacts that it could prove a useful source of information as he obviously has a wide range of influence … you know … to use to gather information and he did know my parents.” Harry added for good measure.

“True,” Dumbledore agreed. “But you are treading a fine line hear Harry if you think it important our meeting can wait, but Professor Snape will not be impressed to say the least.”

Harry bowed his head, “Yes I know, but this is important to me.”

“Very well then Harry you go and enjoy yourself, I will see you Sunday evening at eight.”

Harry caught up with Ginny before tea hiding under his cloak, Ginny saw him and made an excuse to Luna and followed Harry to a quite alcove and was engulfed in his invisibility cloak.

Quickly kissing Harry, “What do I owe this pleasure?” She asked Harry with a warm smile, before kissing again.

“Well I have managed to rearrange my appointment with Dumbledore, so if you are up for it, we can go together to the SlugClub.”

Ginny beamed at him, “Thanks but are you sure.”

Harry nodded, “To be with you, yes.”

Ginny smirked at Harry, “You are quite cute sometimes.”

“For that Miss Weasley you get a kiss.”

-~-

Harry was relieved to have the Quidditch try-outs over and done with. As Ginny had pointed out to him he would have been too much on this plate next weekend. Harry felt relief with Ginny by his side, but knew Ron was annoyed. He wanted to celebrate before Harry had told him he would not be going to the Great Hall that night.

At twenty past seven at the agreed time with Ginny, Harry wandered down the stairs in his formal robes and walked over to Ginny who was emerging from the girls dormitory stairs greeting her. “Hi Ginny, you look pretty tonight … your not going to Old Sluggies meal to are you?”

Ginny in a resigned mock tone, “Yeah.”

Harry smiled at her, “Well that's one piece of luck for this evening, would you care to walk with me.”

Ron was seated by the window skimming through a Quidditch magazine. His ears pricked up on hearing Harry greet Ginny. He got up and stalked over to Harry. “OI! What’s going on Harry?” Looking at Harry and then Ginny.

Harry spoke sympathetically, “Sorry Ron, but Dumbledore cancelled and he wanted me to go for some reason.”

“Oh you could have said,” Ron replied in a grouchy tone.

Harry sighed, “I should have, but I knew Hermione was going and well … it was going to leave you on you own, I’m sorry Ron.”

Ron not totally buying it, “I see, okay then.” Ron pointedly looked at Harry, “Look after her for me!” Nodding at Ginny, Ginny glared at Ron her heckles rising.

Harry acted quickly, “Ginny is quite able to look after herself. It’s me that needs chaperoning form Slughorn and all those giggling girls. I feel safe with Ginny.”

Ron mouthed like a gold fish lost for words or a witty retort, as Lavender Brown sidled up with Dean Thomas and Seamus Finnegan following.

Lavender not wanting to miss an opportunity for gossip looked at Ginny, “She will hurt Harry, like she did Dean here.”

Ron scowled, “No she won't … I don’t have a problem with Harry.”

“Not from where I am seeing it,” Seamus Finnegan remarked.

Ron now totally pissed off grunted, “I’m going to Hagrid’s.” Turned and stomped out of the common room down to Hagrid's hut, knowing they would not follow him there.

As Harry and Ginny walked down the deserted corridor to Slughorn’s room, Harry moved close and slipped his hand around Ginny's slim waist. Ginny turned and looked up into Harry's green eyes seeing a warm gaze from Harry. “This feels so right to me.”

Harry smiled, “You look lovely tonight.”

Ginny retorted, “Well you’re not bad either.”

Harry ventured, “Maybe we should not keep this, us a secret from Ron any longer, after all he did say that he did not have a problem with me, we should tell him.”

Ginny nodded, “That might be for the best.”

They had reached Slughorn’s door and Harry brought his hand up to knock, but cupped Ginny cheek and kissed her with a slow sensual kiss. Breaking for air Harry knocked on the door which Slughorn pulled open with gusto.

“Are Harry and Ginny! Well you make a splendid couple.” Announcing to the room, as they entered Harry had realised that his hand was still around Ginny's waist when the door had opened. He allowed Ginny to enter first as they were whisked into the room as a house elf offered them pumpkin juice cocktails.

Professor Slughorn made the introductions, apart from the original invitees on the train Slughorn had increased his party to include a couple of seventh year girls from Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw, another fifth year boy from Hufflepuff, an even younger Slitheryn boy and the Zacharias Smith.

Hermione glared at them and made her way over, “You two never told me you were coming.” In her annoyed tone.

Harry spluttered, “Well it was complicated I had to rearrange my meeting with Dumbledore and keep it low key as I originally had a detention with Snape.”

“Oh,” Hermione replied coolly, “You two knew you were coming, we could have arrived together and saved me from them.” Eyeing Blaise Zabini and Zacharias Smith, “But I suppose two’s company and three’s a crowd,” she smirked triumphantly, “I would have spoilt the moment.”

Harry looked puzzled and Ginny had a calm expression on her face. “Oh come on. You don’t wear lipstick Harry, and I saw you standing there with you hand around Ginny’s waist, it was so natural.” Hermione ended with a very smug smirk.

Before they could answer Slughorn called for them to be seated. “Harry my boy.” Indicating, that he wanted Harry, to be seated on his right hand side.

Harry slipped his hand around Ginny’s waist and the other around Hermione who jumped in mild surprise and moved towards the table. There were only two spaces next to Slughorn Harry glared at Zabini but he held his place behind the chair defiantly.

Harry spoke in a polite tone, “There’s a good chap and move round one.” Nodding at the empty chair further around the table.

Slughorn voice boomed, “Oh ho oh, well you do seem to have a monopoly here Harry my boy.”

Ginny retorted, “Well he is the boy who lived after all.”

Harry maintained his glare towards Zabini, but spoke in a considerate tone, “Come on Blaise, you could do worse than sit next to Ginny.” Steering Hermione to the vacant chair next too Slughorn. She gave him a knowing look.

The rest shunted round the table to make room and Harry pulled the chair out for Ginny and Hermione before sitting.

“What a gentleman,” Slughorn commented.

As the meal drew to an end and after pudding drinks slipped down Zabini was flirting with Ginny. He rubbed his leg against her under the table while Harry was distracted by Hermione and Slughorn, Ginny smacked him hard in the ribs.

“Bitch,” He replied.

Harry turned going for his wand.

Slughorn spoke, “Blaise Zabini, that was foolish to the extreme. I have seen the venom in this young ladies bat bogey hex, ask Smith here if you want further conformation.”

Harry slipped his wand back away and stood, “Come on Ginny, I think we have overstayed our welcome.” Helping Ginny up.

Zabini commented, “Well she is quite pretty, tasty in fact, I mean you are being quite greedy here with having two girls. You did want me to sit next to her after all.” His tone full of innuendo.

The room went deadly silent. Harry slipped his hand around Ginny’s waist as she stood. Pulling her close in a slow caring way their eyes meeting. He kissed her in a soft manor, but deliberately poured passion into it, to leave no doubt to his intentions. To which Ginny leaned into and gave her all. As the broke apart Harry now with both hands firmly around Ginny spoke. “Some of us have what it takes, others don’t.”

Releasing Ginny and taking her hand and he offered his other hand to Hermione. “Thank you Professor, it’s been a lovely evening. But we must go, I have to escort Hermione back to Gryffindor tower, before saying goodnight to my girlfriend.” And with out a further word they left.

Hermione spoke outside, “Very smooth Harry, you are very lucky Ginny. Harry is quite a catch so how did you two find each other.”

Ginny spoke leaning into Harry, “Well its all down to you eyesight enhancing potion Hermione. It made me see Harry in a completely different light and that Dean Thomas was not who I should be with, so I just grabbed my opportunity and kissed him.”

“So my potion was a success after all … it worked,” Hermione smirking triumphantly.

But before Harry could come up with a witty answer Ginny trumped him. “Yes in some respects and I was right as well about seeing the light … you should take you own medicine … it might make you or my thick brother see each other in a different way as well, after all you know it works.” Hermione remained quiet all the way back to the common room.

They arrived back in the common room and sat on the sofa by the fire, discovering that Ron had not returned from Hagrid's they chatted, with only a few other stragglers left up Ron finally returned being slightly the worst for wear.

By now Ginny was cuddled up close to Harry with Hermione at the other end of the sofa. Ron saw the tops of their heads on returning and came over resting his head in his hands in front of the fire, elbows on the mantle piece. He made a sarcastic comment about them having a good cosy evening with Slughorn, Hermione retorted it was bearable just thanks to Harry chaperoning me, it was then that Ron turned round to face them he looked between Hermione and seeing his sister snuggled up to Harry.

“What!” he exclaimed his mind in overdrive, but not coming up with any sensible answers, what had Hagrid been putting in the tea.

Hermione smirked, “But the best bit was Harry kissing Ginny in front of the whole room after Blaise Zabini had been flirting with Ginny at the table during pudding.”

“Oh right,” Ron grunted still looking at Ginny's relaxed position using Harry as a comfy cushion just goggling at Ginny and Harry.

Hermione seeing Ron’s dumbfounded face, continued and stoked Ron up a bit more. “I have never seen a couple mould the bodies together like the way they did it was so natural as they kissed, particularly the way Harry gave Ginny's bottom a light squeeze right in Blaise Zabini face.”

Ron growled at Harry who swallowed. “Thanks Hermione.”

Hermione retorted. “He has to know it will be all round the school tomorrow.”

Ron's face was turning a deep red he nodded to Harry to the boy’s dorm staircase in a demanding gesture.

Ginny smiled and in a sweet voice, “I thought you approved of Harry! You said you did not have a problem with Harry being with me earlier when we left … and you asked him to look after me! … well now you got you wish.” turning it round back to Ron deflating him.

Ron's colour started to return to normal, “Right! Yes well … maybe I don’t.”

“Good.” Ginny replied and in a defiant stance turned and kissed Harry. “Now we understand each other no threats, okay! … I'll deal with Harry if he steps out of line, okay!”

Ron nodded looked at Harry, “Good luck mate!” He turned and walked off muttering about Hagrid’s tea.

Hermione excused herself, “Thanks for chaperoning me, don’t stay up too late.” finishing with an approving smile.

-~-

Snape's detention in the morning was a painful tedious exercise in cauldron cleaning, and went on for four hours. The late lunch and afternoon with Ginny passed in a blur.

When Harry arrived at Dumbledore's office the pensive sat on his desk ready. “Please sit, Harry, now I hear that you have discovered the power the dark lord knows not.” Finishing with a small smile planted on his lips.

Harry looked and stuttered, “Sorry.”

Dumbledore prompted, “Miss Weasley.” Harry blushed.

“The power of love as I told you, it is a very powerful force not to be trifled with or underestimated and Miss Weasley, is if I am not mistaken, how shall I put it, is not to be trifled with either. She is a very powerful young witch from a family of loyal dependable wizards. Do not make the mistake of making some noble gesture to try and keep her safe Harry, crossing a Weasley woman is not a recommended course of action.” Harry nodded dumbfounded at Dumbledore’s candour.

“You should take her into your confidence, she will help you and support you in your mission and give you something no other can.” Harry stared at Dumbledore.

“Love! Harry, and if I am not mistaken a person you can confide your most innermost secrets to. You bottle things up Harry. You need a pensive, but that is a poor substitute to an intelligent agile mind. Be open with Ginny, from the beginning and you could have a long and happy life with her.”

Harry interrupted, “But you said.”

Dumbledore continued, “I know I told you to confide in Mr Weasley and Miss Granger only, but Miss Weasley is and will be your life if you let her, she will step up to the mark by you side Harry. Regardless of what you tell her, she trusts you with her life and you should do the same.”

“But I don’t want Ginny in danger, not because of.”

“Harry,” Dumbledore interrupted. “Keeping secrets form a love one for some stupid noble reason is the biggest mistake you could make Harry, trust in the bond of love.”

Dumbledore momentarily stared off into a picture of a young girl, a tear seamed to form in his eyes, “Now without further ado into the pensive.”

-~-

Harry walked back to the common room taking his time, mulling over what Dumbledore had told him remembering parts of previous conversations. ‘The power the dark lord knows not … his ability to love despite his upbringing … a miracle that marked him above Voldemort.’

Since his mother had sacrificed herself for him so that he may live, true love had died that night as well. Yes, Mrs Weasley did mother him giving comfort, but it was not the same. Now in those few short days that he had been with Ginny he truly understood what the word love meant. The giving and receiving without preconditions total unfettered love from the heart and soul.

Harry berated himself for not seeing this before in Ginny, what a prat he had been! Not to recognise this, as he remembered her lifeless body in the Chamber of Secrets. The reason he had cared so much about her not being dead, he had loved her then deep down. But he did not know the meaning of the word, it had been hidden away and he had been clueless as to why he had felt like that, then!

He had no recollection of receiving any love, what love was and with nobody to guide him, so it had remained a dormant feeling waiting for somebody to break through this rather dense layer of his psyche, and now the genie was out of the bottle it had come as a complete revelation to him! Harry knew that Ginny was the girl for him..

It was no good denying it, for the first time in his miserable life the single most important thing that had been missing in his life was love, he realised that he wanted Ginny by his side, even though the thought of putting her in danger scared him.

Harry know knew what he had to do, quickening his pace before he lost his nerve he arrived back at the common room, Ginny was as he expected was waiting up for him making use of the time reading her transfiguration text book. After a quick kiss and cuddle, Harry retrieved his invisibility cloak and the set off to talk in private.

Harry took Ginny off to a secluded room and sealed the door, casting the Muffliato spell and told her everything along with his suspicions about Draco Malfoy that he believed Dumbledore did not take seriously. When Harry had started he paced around the small room finally sitting in a large comfy chair Ginny had joined him and now was curled up on his lap.

When Harry finished Ginny looked into Harry's eyes as if piercing his soul, that’s what it felt like she spoke softly. “Dumbledore was right about not crossing a Weasley woman and I can help you in many ways, for one I can see the door of the Room of Requirement when it is locked and Draco Malfoy and his cronies are inside, I think I can find the bolt and unlock it.”

Harry smiled and kissed her long and slow savouring the taste, when he broke away and in a soft voice, “Do you know Miss Weasley, you are worth your weight in Galleons.”

Ginny smiled back, “Glad you have recognised my true value.”

-~-

They set off the following evening to the library to study and watch the Marauders map. After a good hour and a half’s work they packed up and set off to the seventh floor corridor to stake it out. After concealing their bags in the base of a statue, Harry checked the map. Draco Malfoy, Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle were all in the Slytherin dorm having a long and judging by the movements heated discussion.

Harry sighed, “It does not look hopeful for tonight.”

Ginny smiled innocently, “Maybe not, but we can practice staking out under your cloak.”

Taking up position clear of the door under Harry's invisibility cloak, concealed within its secret intimacy of the loosely hanging silky fabric, they soon lost track of time merging their bodies and minds in a prolonged snogging session.

The following evening was proving to be more hopeful as Harry and Ginny packed up before eight and headed off to take up guard duty. Looking at the Marauders Map in the Library the activity of Draco Malfoy and his cronies was suspicious. Pansy Parkinson had been scurrying around the girls dorm and had then met the others in a deserted classroom and left soon after.

Taking up position under the cloak, they watched the dots coming closer on the Map. Soon whispered voices broke a quick kiss to see Draco Malfoy, Vincent Crabbe and a young girl a first year coming into sight.

Harry and Ginny soon realised it was Gregory Goyle transformed by Poly Juice Potion, as Draco Malfoy paced up and down three times they remained silent. The door appeared and Malfoy along with Crabbe walked over to the door they stood and looked down at the young girl. “Now remember the signal.”

“Crabbe and I just need to move a few things around, so I can start work we won’t be long!”

“But why me?” She spoke with a deep un-natural voice

Draco snarled, “We need a lookout I don’t want Potter walking in on us, or catching us when we leave here. Now wait up on the window seat.”

With that he turned, walked through the door and slammed the door shut. As he bolted the door it disappeared from view and the little girl turned slowly walking off towards the window seat up the corridor. Harry and Ginny set off in pursuit, when Harry started to drag his foot the girl turned round and stared at the dark empty corridor. After a long pause Goyle turned and started to walk nervously.

Ginny had fished out a musical ghost balloon and had silently been inflating it with her wand. After a couple of seconds Harry with his hand around Ginny started to slowly follow again. Harry dragged his foot again causing Goyle to spin round wand drawn ready to strike, but as a little girl the effect was lost.

Ginny set the balloon off, it made an un-tuneful moaning wailing sound echoing in the deserted corridor. As Goyle stood looking all-around, Harry started to make a couple of suites of armour creak and groan as if coming to life.

And for icing on the cake Nearly Headless Nick appeared up through the floor, Goyle turned and ran as Nick looked confused and glided off towards the little girl. Harry and Ginny cracked up under the cloak after they had disappeared.

Harry checked the Marauders Map and sure enough Gregory Goyle was back in the classroom he had been in earlier. Hiding behind a bookcase and much to Harry’s relief no one else was prowling around.

“Ready?” Harry asked.

Ginny nodded, “I can see more clearly with the cloak off.”

Harry removed it and stood ready as Ginny examined the wall where the door should be. It took awhile, but Ginny trusted her vision and slipped her hand into what appeared to be a solid wall. Harry watched transfixed as Ginny's fingers, then her hand seamed to slip into a stone joint.

Gingerly in complete silence she slid the bolt back, causing Harry to jump when the door suddenly appeared. Ginny put her hands up onto the door, as if looking through a window from a lit room to a dark scene outside.

After a minute Ginny stepped back, “They are quite long way away from the door sort of that way.” As she pointed, “They can’t see the door.”

Harry breathed a sigh of relief, “We should put the cloak on just in case.”

Ginny nodded, “Good idea.”

Once covered and wands at the ready Harry turned the handle and slowly opened the door its hinges creaked slightly. He could hear Crabbe groaning and cursing as he move something around in the distance. Harry shut the door and bolted it before slipping his hand around Ginny's waist. Slowly with wands raised they set off, down one isles of the cathedral sized storage room of unending stuff and junk.

They came to a cross isle and a small open area, stepping to one side they could see Malfoy and Crabbe, struggling to move a box that even with magic seemed to be reluctant to move.

Harry whispered, “Let’s go down this isle I don’t want to be caught if they suddenly finish.” Ginny nodded in response.

They walked down an isle two away and came to the clearing where a number of large boxes and pieces of old dilapidated furniture had been stacked. This clearing was an oases amongst the racking and Harry holding Ginny close could see what Malfoy and Crabbe were up to, as the stood hidden in the shadows at the edge under the cloak.

The heavy case they were moving was placed down on another box. As soon as Malfoy lifted the charm on the case that Crabbe had been guiding, it crushed the crate below with a sickening sound of splintering wood. A pungent odour wafted into the air. “Careful,” Malfoy hissed.

Malfoy now turned his attention to the large wardrobe sized cupboard in front of him. “Now we are getting somewhere.” He chimed gleefully and strode forward grasped the handled and pulled. It did not move, spying the key he turned it and the lock gave a satisfying click and the door open.

Malfoy lit his wand and eagerly peered in, “Are good, Warrington did now cause any further damage.”

Crabbe stood behind him and uttered, “There’s nothing in there.”

“Of cause not you fool there’s not meant to be.”

“Oh,” He uttered. “But you said it’s was broken and you had to fix it, so if things don’t vanish in it, it should have stuff in it.”

Malfoy stood hands on hips, “Idiot! … people thing it’s a vanishing cabinet but its not.”

Crabbe grunted, “Oh!”

“Its linked to the other cabinet in Borgin's shop, remember?” Malfoy hissed.

Harry let out a sigh of recognition, Ginny looked at Harry's face and moved the weight on her feet making a minute scuffing noise.

Malfoy spun round wand ready, “What was that! … there’s someone in here.”

Crabbe, “It’s probably a rat.”

Malfoy voice tensed, “No its Potter! … He’s got an invisibility cloak remember on the train.”

Crabbe muttered, “Yeah but.”

Malfoy hissed, “Fool!” and more in desperation than with any certainly uttered. “Accio invisibility cloak.”

Harry tensed and made to grab the cloak as did Ginny but it did not move, but to late Harry realised. Although they could not be seen by Malfoy, there movement had fanned the cloak and it had disturbed some dust off to the side, Malfoy now knew that there was someone else in the room.

Malfoy shot a stunner off wide of the mark, exploding some jars several racks away to Harry's right.

Crabbe grunted, “Accio cloak.”

Pointing his wand vaguely in there direction, Malfoy realised to late what the fool had uttered. A number of dust covered old cloaks flew at them, quickly covering Malfoy and Crabbe in various old robes and cloaks.

Harry raised his wand and uttered, “Expelliarmus.”

As Ginny followed with, “Petrificus Totalus.”

Wands flew into the air and arms and legs snapped together. As the dust settled Harry removed the cloak, pocketing the captured wands and walked over to them pulling off the pile of cloths. “Games up, Malfoy.”

Ginny chimed in, “Not so cocky now with you dusty second hand old robes, but they do suit you. Although I would be careful with the fox fur collar, it might bite … you being that you are a ferret and all that.”

Harry smiled at Ginny and pulled out the Marauders Map, examining it, but he could not find Dumbledore. Seeing Professor McGonagall in her office he made up his mind.

“Ginny go fetch McGonagall, I’ll stay and watch these two take the cloak.”

Ginny nodded and walked over to Malfoy, “Just one thing.” And stamped her foot down hard on to Draco Malfoy's face hearing a crack as his nose broke. Ginny slowly removed her foot as blood ran across his face. “Debt settled!” she exclaimed and set off.

Ginny was glad she had the invisibility cloak because she ran into Filtch and his cat, but dodged round them with ease. Then she came across Snape walking at a pace towards the main hall and stood to one side to let him pass. When she knocked on McGonagall's door the response was frosty to start with, it being close to curfew. Until she saw the blood on Ginny’s shoe.

“Are you all right? What’s happened to you?”

Ginny looked down, “Oh sorry I must have trodden in something.”

But McGonagall accompanied Ginny back, after hearing about the linked cabinet to Borgin and Burke's shop and the immediate danger it presented. By giving a secrete access to Death Eaters straight into Hogwart's. She sent a Patronus to Dumbledore without further question.

Later, Harry and Ginny sat and listed as Dumbledore examined the cabinet after Professor McGonagall had escorted Malfoy away. First to the hospital wing and then securing him along with Crabbe and Goyle, now returned to his usual troll appearance in the dungeon cells.

Finally he turned, “You have both done the school a great favour tonight and set back Voldemort’s plans, well done. Proving that the power of love is not to be discarded, or looking at Ginny, seeing the light in a different way is not to be underestimated.”

He stood and beamed at them over his half mooned spectacles.
Reviews 4
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear