Search:

SIYE Time:7:42 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Memoirs of a Red Headed Witch
By My Wicked Quill

- Text Size +

Category: Pre-OotP, Post-OotP, Post-HBP, Post-Hogwarts, Post-DH/AB
Characters:All
Genres: Action/Adventure, Comedy, Humor, Romance, Songfic
Warnings: Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations, Violence
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 136
Summary: Ginny Weasley was always overlooked. Always the youngest, always the smallest, and was never really given the chance to let her voice be heard. But sometimes the best insight comes from those who were always in the background. Her story of redemption, loyalty and love, proves that she was never just the Weasley brothers' little sister.
Hitcount: Story Total: 177819; Chapter Total: 7148
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
One of my personal favorite chapters to write. Please Enjoy and drop a review I'd really like to know what you all think of this one!




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


"You say you’re leaving as you look away,
I know there’s really nothing left to say,
Just I’m here whenever you need me I’ll wait for you,
So I’ll let you go. I’ll set you free
And when you see what you need to see
When you find you, come back to me..."
-Come Back to Me, David Cook

I remember when he left. We all saw it coming, we knew that something had to give; this sluggish struggle against invisible forces could only go on for so long. No matter how hard we tried to deny it.

My brother, my best friend and ex-boy-friend had a mission, and there was absolutely nothing we could do to stop them.

****

The night wore on; I had left Harry’s room after controlling my stomach and placed myself by the window in the sitting room. It wasn’t exactly exciting, watching the blackened sky; there was silence, darkness…and nothing else.

I used that time to organize my thoughts and set a plan as you might call it, a strategy of how I would handle being around Harry at and before the wedding. But of course with that thought brought the death of Dumbledore, the major reason to our break up. Then that lead my thoughts to the betrayal of Snape, then the war, Voldemort and my nightmares. Nightmares which had turned into witnessing the deaths of my friends again…Sirius, Cedric, Dumbledore…

I wasn’t surprised to find myself tearing by the time I couldn’t add any more to the list. It was like fighting quicksand; everything at some point only brought you down. It was as though someone was having a grand old time writing the tragedy of our fate. Making things only get worse and worse, and earning millions of galleons while doing it. As I thought about it, it truly was a grand idea…what a story our experiences would make…maybe Hermione would be up to it. She could transform it into a series, having all witches and wizards clinging on to her every word. We could even release it to the muggles; they would fall in love with the books but never even suspect it to be true.

Harry of course would be the main character; the tittles would be ridiculous, something along the lines of Harry Potter and the Diary of Tom Riddle…or better yet Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets! We would all add input and make sure to leave nothing out…


It was during my incoherent daydreaming that the distinct pop of apparition came from outside.

“MUM!” I screamed, but it was in vain as she had heard it too. We both rushed to the back yard only to find a rusty old oil can on the ground. “Mum?”

“That was Ron and Tonk’s port key. They should have been back first.” She explained as her face turned unusually pale.

The lump in my stomach grew heavier.

“Next should be your father and Fred’s, then Harry and Hagrid’s, followed by Remus and George’s within the minute,” she divulged. Why she felt she needed to keep that information until then was beyond me.

And as though on cue, a pop announced the arrival of yet another port key, this one in the shape on an ancient shoe. “That’s not dad,” I whispered.

She swallowed, “Nor is it your brother.”

“What’s going on mum? Where are they?”

“Ginny, does it look like I have any clue?!”

Truthfully, I knew it was a stupid question for me to ask; she would have obviously told me. “Yeah…I guess you’re right.”

“Back inside then, the next isn’t due to arrive for another fifteen minutes or so.”

We paced. Dear Merlin did we pace. Up and down, left and right. Weasley woman should not be left behind for anything, it didn’t suit us. It seemed to take forever for the next pop to come.

There were two figures in the yard, my heart went wild as it realized who it must be. Third was,

“HARRY!” mum cried. An enormous shadow hit the ground when it landed and was now clambering up to its feet; there was only one person I knew who was that big.

When we reached them I could hardly think straight, I was searching for injuries, anything really, while my mother questioned them. Even in the complete darkness with only limited moonlight, Harry was still just as handsome as always; his eyes seemed to glow in the contrast with the darkness around us.

“As soon as we reached the barriers of the wards there were Death Eaters everywhere,” Harry explained. At the mention of Death Eaters my palms broke out into a sweat, I swallowed. The instant image of all those I cared for surrounded by Death Eaters was sickening. Harry was practically begging us for forgiveness with his eyes, as though it was his fault, as thought we would ever blame him for something like this.

Stupid git.

He continued to tell us that Voldemort had caught up with them.

“Thank Heavens your safe then!” Mum pulled him into a fierce hug, and I had wanted to follow her example but I still hadn’t found the will to approach him yet. But of course all of a sudden my mother rushed inside to get something for Hagrid, leaving me alone with Harry to explain things.

Without thinking about it, the moment he turned to me I just spat out all the information I knew. I told him the order in which everyone was to arrive. Or well…supposed to arrive.

Mum finally returned with what seemed like a bottle of brandy, and as she handed it to Hagrid a shimmering light began glowing a few feet away, “Mum!”

Within moments Lupin and George appeared, and Harry was helping Remus carry my obviously unconscious brother into the house. It was a mad scramble as the lot of us rampaged into the house; I was personally desperate for some kind of light source. However it was close to impossible to not notice the dark stains covering most of George’s robes and face. I had seen it enough to know what it was but still in those first few moments I didn’t let myself feel anything until I saw proof, and even after, I promised I would hold it together.

After all, because I was left behind I had something to prove didn’t I?

But it was inevitable; he was my brother, and so when light finally flowed in I gasped. George was missing an ear.

Many things happened in succession, as Harry stepped out of the way once dropping George at the sofa, my mother stepped in and Harry was being dragged into the kitchen rather harshly by Lupin. The sight wasn’t anything nice to watch, “Harry!?” I called after him beginning to follow.

“Ginny! I need your help here!” Mum warned. Torn, I looked back towards the kitchen.

Suddenly I found myself bent over George helping my mother wipe off the blood and end the source of the bleeding. The adrenaline made everything hyperactively clear. George’s shallow breathing, my mum’s frantic but purposed hands... the light glow of the lamp.

“Oi! Le’ go of him! Le’ go of Harry!” Hagrid’s booming voice in the background was clear as well. I shifted George’s head again to give her a better shot with her wand.

“I’m sure he’ll be fine. I’m sure it’s just the ear. It’s not fatal. I’m sure many people have lost an ear.” I didn’t even think my mother was talking to me anymore.

“Wha’ was tha’ about?” Hagrid’s voice roared yet again.

What was what about? Where the bloody hell was everyone?!

“Mum. When is the next port key supposed to arrive?”

“What?” she asked not really listening.

“The next port key? When is it supposed to arrive?”

“Um… I believe,” she sighed taking a slight second to check her watch, “in two minutes.”
“Right, thanks.”

There was hardly any blood left now. “Ginny, rearrange the pillows here like this to prop his head up some more.”

I did as I was told. As I took George’s head, Lupin, followed by Harry and Hagrid, abruptly dashed back through the room. Dropping George’s head, I stood.

“Ginny!” Mum yelped when my brother’s head landed with a thump.

They rushed back out to the yard without even a glance in our direction. “Mum it’s the port key!”

“GINEVRA! I need your attention! Your brother is missing an ear for crying out loud!”

“He has another one, mother!” I hated to sound so unconcerned but I really had no control in what I was saying for I was too distracted trying to make out the two new figures outside.

“Merlin help me these children…” she frustratingly muttered.

I knew it was Hermione by the large brush around her head. I breathed a sigh of relief, at least she seemed conscious.

I sank back down to the ground and took a look at my brother. Even without a second ear he was still handsome. “It’s Hermione and Kingsley. They seem alright.”

“Good. Good. That’s good.” Even though the whole in his head was cleaned up mum was still working I watched her fluttering hands work.

“Why won’t he wake up? What do you think he was hit with?”

“I’m not sure, some kind of…cutting curse…”

“SNAPE?” Harry’s voice burst out, loud enough to hear from where I sat.

Snape. Sectumsempra. “Never mind. I know what he was hit with.”

“What-” but she was cut off when Hagrid and Harry re-entered.

“Is he alright?”

“It won’t grow back, I doubt that any Skele-Gro or spell would work, but he’s alive. That’s all that matters.” Harry nodded at my mum, and then turned to me.

“That was Hermione and Kingsley in the yard just now wasn’t it?” I asked

“Yes.”

“Thank Merlin.” I whispered catching his gaze. The green eyes I was so used to looking into, and for a while I did without having to sneak to do it, stared back the way they did before Dumbledore died. It was a warm feeling to have Harry back, right there, next to me, how could I have been so nervous with his arrival? In that moment I could almost forget that anything had changed…that we were still together…

“I’ll prove who I am, Kingsley after I’ve seen my son, now back off if you know what’s good for you!” My father’s voice right then was like a cold bucket of water on a hot day. Totally surprising and startling, but refreshing all the same.

It made sense now why Lupin had grabbed at Harry when they first arrived, it seemed the order was checking to see if there were any intruders. The paranoia was at an all time high. And after that night I knew it was only going to get worse.

Fred entered behind dad, I don’t think I had ever seen him so solemn…so…pale. Mum lost it at that point, she began to sob. “Oh thank goodness you’re alright Arthur!”

It was a miracle to say the least when George chose that moment to come back to the world of the living; so to speak, it was as though the mere presence of his twin roused him. It was so sweet.

And then the first thing out of George’s mouth? He had everyone leaning in like we were about to hear some kind of last will and testament, each of us hanging on a string, not even daring to speak as his eyes fluttered open and his eyes focused, and what did he do?

He told a joke.

And I knew that they at least were going to be ok.

Harry caught my eye again, and gave me that same motion of the head to follow him outside as he did the first time he kissed me. It wasn’t time to think about that though. There were people missing. We weren’t home free just yet.

But I followed of course. “Ron and Tonks should be back by now.” I said the second we were out of earshot.

Harry said nothing and I studied his face, he was feeling guilty again. Most likely he hadn’t stopped it in the first place. I was worried about my brothers; he was worried about his best friend and the only people in his life he knew he could trust. At that moment we only had each other and maybe that’s why I took his hand. Because I wanted him to know that I was always going to be there for him, maybe I was just feeling selfish and didn’t want to let him go. But whichever reason I found it didn’t matter much when Harry didn’t let go.

We walked over to the small group consisting of Lupin, Hagrid, Kingsley and Hermione and watched the skies no one seemed to notice we had even joined them. Silence was soon met with a loud pop as Tonks and Ron both landed a broom that had materialized out of nowhere.

I smiled, Ron was alright as was Tonks, I could only think of one person who would be happier to know that, and she was inside. “I’m going to tell mum and dad you’re ok Ron.”

Mum was just as happy as I thought she’d be, and they both followed me back outside to greet him. While everyone was trying to explain to Ron of what happened to George before he walked in and fainted at the sight, the arrival of Bill and Fleur came with the news.

Mad-Eye was dead.

I almost thought it impossible; he was so tough, so strong.

But Cedric was smart.

Sirius was brave.

And Dumbledore…was the greatest wizard of our time.

There were no exceptions in war.

I had my first sip of firewhiskey that night as we toasted to old Mad-Eye. I felt terrible with myself that the last time I ever spoke to him had been heated words where I was questioning his skills and strategies. And it turned out he was right, the worst had happened I would have been a liability. But I’d never have admitted it aloud.

The next issue was the one everyone had hoped wouldn’t come about but naturally it wasn’t something that could be ignored. And of course Phlegm would be the one to bring it up and not in the nicest way either. How did they find out Harry was being moved that night?

Harry spoke up when Fleur was looking accusingly at Hagrid. “If someone made a mistake and let something slip, I know they didn’t do it on purpose. I trust everyone standing in this room; none of you would sell me out to Voldemort for anything.”

He had really had always been so trusting, Harry was more like Dumbledore than anyone ever gave him credit for.

I sipped my drink a bit more, enjoying the buzzing feeling I was getting in my ears hoping that if I drank enough of the stuff then nightmares may just stay away, maybe this would work better than a dreamless sleep potion. Hopefully it would work, if not, I might as well not even try going to sleep. All I would see was Tom throwing Mad-Eye through that damned veil right after Sirius and Dumbledore…or something symbolic like that.

“I’m not going to stay here.” Harry’s voice snapped me out of it, “it’s dangerous for any of you to be near me I won’t risk any of you like that.”

His nobility was interrupted by several protests.

“It’s not me I’m worried for!” Of course it wasn’t I never was, sometimes he was just so selfless it made me sick. On that note I retreated up stairs warily, hoping to actually not get sick (being the youngest and smallest had its perks sometimes you just slip by without being noticed and get to do things like pour yourself another glass of the forbidden firewhiskey) and not necessarily wanting to hear the rest of the conversation. I had it once with Harry and I had no intention of listening to it again.

Thankfully the moment I hit my bed, I didn’t move again until the next morning.

****

Mum threw herself back into the preparations for the wedding, but everyone else was just as somber as could be. The death of another ally was taking its toll.

“She got to me. Harry hasn’t even been here for twenty-four hours and she has already cornered me about him!” Ron grumbled making his way into my room the next day.

“What are you going on about? And where are Harry and Hermione?”

“Hermione’s showering and Harry’s taking a kip.”

“At noon, in the middle of summer?”

“He said he had a headache-”

“Headache?”

“Ginny! Would you stop with the interrogation, he had a headache it’s not the end of the damned world.”

“Yeah well do you know why he had a headache? It could be his scar hurting him.”

Ron stared at me for a while; I was lounging on my bed with the latest Quidditch Weekly pretending to read it, honestly my head was pounding so badly it wasn’t even worth a try.

“Well you don’t look any better than he does, maybe you both just don’t react well to firewhiskey.”

I dropped the magazine to the ground and my head into my pillow face first, “What do you want Ron?”

“To thank you for the heads up, it gave me a chance to get my story straight and I knew what I was going to say to mum.”

“So you mean mum has already tried to get information out of you, like what you three are up to that you can’t tell anyone else?” I asked dryly.

Rolling his eyes he started walking out, “It’s not going to work Ginny. By the way I’d take a kip too if I were you, if mum sees you like this she’ll have your head.”

Groaning I pulled my covers out from beneath me.
***

I wasn’t one for eavesdropping. Usually I let the extendable ears do the job but considering the fact that I didn’t have any with me at the time I had to do what I had to do. I knew once Ron had told me she had cornered him that Harry was up next on her hit list.

“Ron and Hermione seem to think that the three of you are dropping out of Hogwarts.” I heard my mum ask Harry at some point over the next week in the kitchen.

The opening of the conversation instantly caught my attention and suddenly I remembered throwing that into Ron’s face, I told him the only way he wouldn’t have to worry about people asking them all sort of questions was if they weren’t going back to Hogwarts at all. I had even laughed at the fact.

“Oh, well, yeah. We are,” was his reply. They weren’t going back? Sliding my back against the wall I managed to sit on the steps. They weren’t going back? Harry, Ron and Hermione…not at Hogwarts?

“May I ask why you are abandoning your education?”

“Well Dumbledore left me…stuff to do.”

Stuff? Without even my consent the first thing I thought of was the words horcrux and prophecy.

“Well really Harry I believe Arthur and I should know!”

“Dumbledore told me not to tell anyone else,” Harry responded guiltily. He would have told me, had Dumbledore not died, had he had the chance to ask him if he could. I knew Dumbledore would agree with me that I had a right to know, I was Harry’s bloody girlfriend! Not to mention I’ve been alongside Harry the whole time in this fight with Voldemort, my ankle was sacrificial proof! And now I was just left out cold like my mother. It was just so unfair! My nails dug painfully into the palms of my hands.

“You’re barely of age any of you! I don’t understand why it has to be you when anyone in the Order could simply-”

“No, it’s got to be me Mrs. Weasley.”

Of course it did. Harry was the Chosen One. I wasn’t paying attention to the rest of the conversation and so I was startled when Harry found me on the steps.

“Ginny?”

My face heated up. “I was just-er-well…”

So much was said between us in that cramped staircase, and yet maybe nothing at all, it could have been all in my head but Harry was about to say, “Gin-”

“Ginevra! Come here please.”

Clearing his throat Harry merely nodded and continued up the stairs. I took a moment to collect myself.

“Yes mum?”

“Eavesdropping isn’t flattering you understand me? I’ve taught you better than that.”

“Yes mum.”

“Here,” she said handing me a sponge, “Those dishes won’t clean themselves.” With a bit of magic they could I thought, but didn’t dare say aloud. Undoing her apron my mother began to walk away when she turned abruptly and laid a hand on my shoulder. I wasn’t sure what she was going to say, something probably along the lines of how everything was going to be ok, Harry would come to his senses, and if he didn’t I was better off without him or some rubbish like that. But she just squeezed my shoulder and proceeded to leave only throwing, “Would you and Hermione please change the sheets for Mr. and Mrs. Delacour in Percy’s old room,” over her shoulder

“Sure mum, whatever you want.”

***

“You’re my best friend right Hermione?”

“Of course Ginny,” she replied stuffing the sheets under her side of the mattress.

“We can tell each other anything can’t we?”

“Your side looks a mess are you even paying attention?”

“Are you?” At that she stopped what she was doing to meet my eyes.

“Of course we can tell each other anything, why?”

Ignoring her protests I sat with a thump on the half-made bed. “Because lately I just feel that there’s so much you’re keeping from me. And I don’t know why.” Playing dumb I thought was a good tactic.

“I don’t know-”

“You know about the Prophecy Hermione, and you’re going off with Harry and my brother to Merlin knows where doing Merlin knows what!” So it wasn’t as easy as I thought it would be to play dumb.

Hermione was shocked beyond words, “How did you-”

“Why does it matter how I found out? The point is I’m being left out again, and it hurts more than any other time before.”

The silence was thick enough to cut with a knife as we both waited for the other one to give. When she just stared blankly I gave in smoothing out the sheets and finishing up without another word and without another glance.

“Ginny I’m…I can’t-”

“Forget it, I knew you weren’t going to say anything, why should you? Ron wouldn’t and Harry can barely look at me let’s just keep it a clean break yeah?”

She swallowed and I could see the tears welling up in her eye lids, but I couldn’t make myself feel guilty.

“Thanks for helping; I expect mum will be keeping us all busy.”

And with that I left the room.

Keeping us busy is exactly what she did, I was pretty obvious what her plan was, mum was no bimbo. With all the chores she was throwing around it was virtually impossible for Ron Harry and Hermione to be in the same room together- alone- for longer than two minutes. It seemed she didn’t want them to have any chances at planning this “crusade”.

“Ginny be a dear and help Harry set the table would you?”

By this point there was not even a reason to say anything you just did what you were instructed. She left us alone ironically, and purposely. The last time Harry and I had ever been alone together it was during a rather intense snogging session. That is just to say the awkwardness was there.

“I think mum thinks that is she can stop the three of you getting together and planning, she’ll be able to delay you leaving.”

“And then what does she think’s going to happen? Someone else is going to kill of Voldemort while she’s holding us here making vol-au-vents?”

I figured that was what this was about, from what I had put together Harry was indeed the Chosen One and that these Horcruxes had something to do with Voldemort ever since the funeral. I just didn’t know what that had to do with a Horcrux, or what that was, why it had to be them and how they were going to do it. I doubted I was going to get anymore out of him however.

“So it’s true then? That’s what you’re trying to do?”

“I-not-I was joking,” he replied nervously. I hated to admit it to myself but he looked just so cute when flustered. I found it amusing that I got more out of Harry than I did from Ron or Hermione, how had that happened? I was grateful either way, even if he did regret telling me.

I didn’t give too much thought to why he told me, after all even though he hadn’t admitted it to me then, I told him I knew he wouldn’t be happy unless he was hunting Voldemort, I knew he was the one who had to finish it, and he knew I knew that even though he had just tried to pass it off as a joke. But still I liked to think he told me because I still had some kind of influence over him.

That night at dinner when we were smashed together at the table it was rather obvious by the way Harry was trying so desperately not to make any contact with me, though it was inevitable considering the lack of space there was. I made him nervous, and that was better than nothing right? I would have grinned had the conversation of the table not been so dreadful, Mad-Eye’s body had still not been found.
***


“Hi guys,” I heard Hermione’s voice come from Ron’s room. She was with Harry and Ron? And they weren’t busy with some chore, and I happened to be able to hear the conversation? It was almost too good to be true. A quick thought of going into the espionage Auror business came to me. “Ron’s mum didn’t realize she asked me and Ginny to change the sheets already.”

Ah, so that meant I was free too.

I settled myself in the hallway inconspicuously that way if anyone did find me that time it would look innocent. They talked a bit about Mad-Eye, and other things, I was just about to give up and walk away when Hermione caught my attention, “I’m just trying to decide what books I want to take when we go searching for all the horcruxes.”

I held my breath, so they were going after Voldemort by going after the horcruxes?

“That makes sense, since will obviously be hunting down old Voldy in the library!” Ron’s sarcasm was ignored.

I was hoping that they’d explain everything as though they had no clue as to what they were doing, but I knew that was only hopeful thinking.

“Listen,” said Harry, “I know after Dumbledore died you both said you would come with me but I don’t think that’s such a good idea.”

I could almost picture the other two rolling their eyes, “Harry. You listen we are coming with you, it’s our decision.”

Them three going off hunting Voldemort, I had known it from the start.

But it couldn’t have been mine. I was so upset I ran; my heart breaking all over again. Harry said nothing else to argue with them, but me? He would never hear another word. Slamming my door I didn’t understand what made me so different, he had told me I meant so much to him, if I did wouldn’t he want me there with him the whole time? What changed? Why? Was it all a lie, everything we shared?

There was only one way to find out, suddenly I couldn’t wait for Harry’s birthday.

***

“Oh do you not look so darling!” Fleur’s English was improving that was for sure, her eye sight however was left to be desired.

Mum was still not decided, “Are you sure that it isn’t…too…low cut? Ginny is only 15 after all.”

I rolled my eyes, “I’ll be sixteen in two weeks mum!” That didn’t mean however I completely disagreed with her, but the cut wasn’t bothering me, it was everything else.

Fleur played with the bottom, fluffing it out a bit more, “Of course not, it is ze latest style in France at ze moment.”


Being a bridesmaid wasn’t one of my favorite hobbies but considering it was my brother’s wedding how could I refuse? But the moment Fleur unzipped the garment bag and revealed the dress I wanted to run the other way.

I. Did. Not. Look. Good. In. Gold.

My red hair clashed and my freckles seemed to pop out even more. Couldn’t the color have been green? Maybe the same shade of Harry’s eyes? No. It had to be bloody gold. I wanted a drink, a firewhiskey could have sufficed.

Just as I was going to ask if I could get off the pedestal Fred and George skipped into the room, I nearly groaned. “George!”

“Fred!”

“Do you see that girl?”

“Which girl? The one who’s positively glowing?”

“She could light up a room that one.”

Mum rolled her eyes, “Boys, doesn’t your sister look beautiful?”

“Well mum we can’t really answer that now can we Fred?”

“Nope but it think we have a solution.”

Together they both neared the door, and yelled out, “HARRY COULD YOU COME UP HERE FOR A MINUTE!”

I could’ve have died on the spot. “What the bloody hell are you two thinking?”

“Ginevra language!”

“’Arry?” Fleur asked looked at me quizzically, “Oh ‘ow wonderful! You two will look lovely together at ze wedding!”

My face was as red as the anger bubbling up inside me.

“Won’t they though?” Fred sighed.

“It’ll be so romantic!” George exclaimed.

“Get. Out.” I said through clenched teeth

“Oh Gin-Gin, we are only trying to help!”

“You and Harry need to get your acts together!”

“Don’t think we missed the little act at dinner the other night-“

“It seemed as though you were both trying your hardest not to make contact.” They wiggled their eyebrows suggestively.

It seemed that mum had had enough, “Alright! That’s enough everyone out, Ginny you can get out of that dress now. Make sure to be careful when you put it away.”

“Yes mother dear.” I muttered as the door closed.

But no sooner than it closed there was another knock, flustered and already half out of the dress I went to the door, “I said get out! That’s another way of saying go aw-”

As you could have guessed it wasn’t the twins, it was Harry. Clutching the unzipped dress tighter to my body I kept the door as closed as possible still able to see his face. “Er-uh yes?”

He seemed unable to speak, and I realized he must have noticed my sate, it wasn’t anything bad but unexpected I’m sure. I could only imagined what would have happened if we were still together. I blushed.

Clearing his throat he looked at his shoes, “I heard my name? Someone asked me up here?”

“Right. That was Fred and George playing some joke. Don’t’ worry about it.”

“Oh ok, right then…um…I’ll just go.” I nodded and watched as he walked away, “Ginny?” he turned around again obviously having something on his mind.

“Yes?”

He stared at me struggling, I really had no clue what he was thinking but in the end it didn’t matter, “Uh, never mind.” And he was gone.

Closing the door finally I sighed turning to face my mirror, really what did he ever see in me? A load of red hair, illuminating freckles and a pale complexion?

I hated that dress.
***

The pile of presents on the kitchen table only made me smile the morning of July 31, 1997.

“Ginny where are you going? Aren’t you going to wait for Harry to wish him a happy birthday?”

“Of course I am, I’ll be back,” I told her, lying. Mum only smiled and returned to her cake.

I didn’t go back, not for a long while that day; I remember pacing up and down my small room with the same thoughts running through my head. I was Ginny Weasley, not scarred easily, a bold person, I had six older brothers for crying out loud I had handled things far more reckless than kissing a boy, especially a boy I had kissed before. Then why was I so bloody nervous?

I needed to know where we stood. Harry was leaving very soon and I wanted to wait for him, but what if he came back and my waiting was in vain? I needed to give him a reason to remember me, if there was any way I could change his mind about leaving me I would take it, and I just hoped all these questions would be answered with what I was going to do. Besides when I first got this idea a few days before it was just to “lift Harry’s spirits” so if I didn’t get any answers maybe I would still succeed in doing that.

The moment I heard the trio head back up the stair I took a breath and…stopped thinking.

“Harry will you come in here a moment?”

Hermione tugged Ron away and I thanked her in my mind. He entered my room and I vaguely thought of the fact that it was the first time he had ever been in my room, but I pushed it away and concentrated on my task, and realized I had no idea what I was doing. “Happy seventeenth.”

Harry looked just as nervous as he had every time we were in the same room together. “Yeah…thanks.” He wouldn’t look me in the face; I hoped that was because it would weaken his resolve. “Nice view.” Was he seriously going to talk about my window?

“I couldn’t think what to get you,” I started.

“You didn’t have to get me anything-”

“I didn’t know what would be useful, nothing to big because then you wouldn’t be able to take it with you,” I chanced a step closer, he didn’t seem to object. “So then I thought. I’d like you to have, I’d like you to have something to remember me by, you know if you meet some veela when you’re off doing whatever you’re doing.”

“I think dating opportunities are going to be pretty thin on the ground, to be honest.”

And then I knew that was my cue, he obviously wasn’t thinking of anyone else, it only made sense for me to wait for him. I smiled, “There’s the silver lining I’ve been waiting for,” and I went in for the kill, I kissed him. I’m not sure actually how it technically happened who moved first but we were kissing and that’s all the mattered.

I missed the feeling of his hair, I almost forgot how smooth it was, and how it felt to have one of his hands in my hair and the other on my back. He was kissing back unlike any other time in the past. It felt as though the rest of the world was slipping away I felt home…and then my git of a brother barged in.

I was so mad that the moment I had worked up to was ruined, I thought maybe Harry would just slam the door closed and we’d either continue what we had started or at least talk about what had happened, but he didn’t. I turned my back to them, “Well happy birthday anyway Harry.”

“I’ll see you later,” he told me and followed my brother out. The door closed behind Hermione, and I was alone again.

Just like that, one moment I had him in my arms and the next the world took him away again. I wanted to scream! I wanted to cry, but I didn’t. What was the point? It didn’t matter to Harry whether I kissed him or not, sure he kissed me back but it was probably only because I caught him by surprised, I’m sure he would have pushed me away a second later anyway. I couldn’t blame him; he was a seventeen year old boy after all.

I watched him get into an argument with my brother outside my window; Ron was shouting at him, I’m sure with some overprotective rubbish. And Harry seemed to be backing off. He had his arms up, and he looked sorry and regretful, if anything, that’s what pushed me over the edge. I fell back onto my bed, no questions answered.

But still no regrets. That damned Potter knew how to kiss.
__________

Later that evening at his party my mum was making her way with the cake when Harry caught my eye and smiled warmly, I grinned back and rolled my eyes, I couldn’t really be mad at him could I? He had been polite and not demanded any explanation on my part and above all, Harry was my friend, I would be loyal to him not matter what happened. But since I couldn’t blame him I blamed myself for my mood, it had been a stressful day especially since I could hardly look at him now without wanting another kiss.

Fred and George seemed to notice.

“Drop the cake-”

“We’ve got something better,”

“And by the looks of it you need it.”

Sighing I placed my piece of cake back on the table; Ron picked it up just as quickly and I followed the twins back into the house.

“We nicked this from the cupboard,”

“And usually we would never let you have some but,”

“It’s a party-”

“And there’s a wedding tomorrow,”

“In which you are a bridesmaid.” George finished. Once we were safely up in their room they handed me a bottle.

I looked at them bewildered, “Firewhiskey?”

“Well it was originally for Harry since he’s now of age but it looks like you could use it more.”

“Really?”

“Really,” they answered together.

I smiled, “Well then, bottoms up.”

***
I was more than thankful when the twins snuck into my room first thing in the morning with some hangover potion, it made me feel loads better. Physically and emotionally I felt like it was the perfect day for a wedding even if I still wasn’t completely warmed up to the bride yet.

The twins left and I couldn’t fall back to sleep, not that I would have been allowed to anyway with my mother hounding my door every five minutes screaming for me to get up. Hearing the door being opened again I threw the covers back, “Ok I’m up I’m up-” but again it wasn’t who I thought it was at the door.

“Where were you last night?” whisper-yelled Hermione at me silently locking the door behind her.

I nestled back into my pillows, “What do you mean where was I? It was Harry’s birthday we were all celebrating.”

“No we all weren’t! You left in the middle of the party with Fred and George and no one saw you for the rest of the night.”

I sat bolted straight up, “People noticed?”

Hermione smirked, “No, only I did, lucky for you.”

I let out a breath, “Yeah, lucky for me.”

“You missed out on a lot let me tell you.”

I shrugged stretching out my numb limbs, “What? Did Charlie and Ron get into a fist fight over the last slice of cake?”

“No you twit, the Minister of Magic paid us a visit in the middle of the evening.”

It took a moment for that to sink in, when I did my eyes nearly jumped out at her, “The Minister? Here? Again? Why?”

Hermione flopped onto her cot in the other side of the room, “I knew that would catch your interest,” she said smugly.

I rolled my eyes, “I’m dying for more Hermione please oh wise one tell me the secrets of the meeting with Rufus Scrimgeour.”

“Sarcasm doesn’t get you very far, Ginny.”

“It gets me far enough thank you. Were you going to tell me or not?”

“He brought over the Will of Albus Dumbledore.”

“The will? Why would he do that? And why would he do that now? Dumbledore’s been dead for more than a month.” The information was interesting though, seems she was right, I did miss a lot. But I had too much of a good time with my brothers to care. Somewhere deep down though I truly was kicking myself.

“Apparently the Ministry has the power to confiscate items in a will for examination purposes.”

“I’m sure that didn’t go over very well.”

She sighed, “No it did not.”

“So what did it say? The will I mean.”

“Dumbledore had left items for Harry Ron and me.”

“You’re joking.”

“No, I’m not.”

I almost wanted to laugh; I shouldn’t have been so shocked Dumbledore really was pushing the whole golden trio idea. I mean he didn’t even suggest to Harry that he should let his girlfriend in on the inner most important details of his life! Maybe it was just too much to ask, after all Dumbledore didn’t’ leave me anything.

I was being silly, but it still hurt. “So er- What did her leave you then?”

“He left me his copy of the Tales of Beedle the Bard-”

“The storybook?”

“That’s the one. He also left Ron his deluminator, and Harry the snitch he caught in his first game at Hogwarts.”

I nodded, “That’s…nice.”

She laughed, “We have no idea why he left these things to us either, but what was more interesting was he left another item to Harry.”

I shrugged, “Everyone knew Dumbledore had a soft spot for Harry.”

“Not the fact that he did but what he left him, the sword of Godric Gryffindor.”

This time my jaw dropped, “You’re not serious.”

“No I’m Hermione.”

“Ok the joke really is getting old.”

“Sorry,” She grimaced, “But it’s true, only Harry doesn’t have it now.”

“Why not?”

“Well apparently it wasn’t even property of Dumbledore’s to give away-”

“That’s rubbish! If that sword belongs to anyone it belongs to Harry! He killed the basilisk using that thing, it was bloody fantastic!” Even though I was technically unconscious at the time the sight I saw when I came to didn’t leave much to the imagination, images of Harry and the sword over came me for a moment, I remembered all my little girl fantasies when I considered Harry my knight in shining —more like bloody- armor.

“That’s what we said,” Hermione agreed, “But then Scrimgeour began asking questions as to why Dumbledore would leave us anything at all and-”

“And Harry blew up.”

“How did you know?”

How did I know? How did I know? Well maybe it was the fact that I knew Harry than anybody else! Maybe it was the fact that I was not just some stupid little naive girl who had no idea what we were up against! “Lucky guess.”

“Yes, well there isn’t much we can do about it so let’s just get ready for today shall we?”

Not much we could do huh? If it were up to me I would have just up and taken the sword, Dumbledore wouldn’t have left it for Harry without reason, he was the most brilliant wizard of our time, and there must have been an important purpose.

Little did I know I had taken those thoughts to heart.
“Yeah, sounds good.”

“Oh and Ginny? I lied I wasn’t the only person who noticed your absence last night, Harry did too.”


Ok. So maybe the dress wasn’t all that bad, after my hair was done and a few glamour charms were set in place, easing out my freckles. Standing in front of the mirror I couldn’t help but wonder what Harry would think. He was obviously still attracted to me, but that wasn’t something anyone should take to heart. Too bad Fleur’s vision of Harry and me together at her wedding wasn’t going to be possible, considering it was doubtful he would come near me and the fact that he had taken poly juice potion and had taken the form a boy down the lane who coincidently had red hair. He was to be introduced as cousin Barny.

“Ginny are you ready?”

“Yes mum!” With one last look in the mirror I walked out of my room and down into the sitting room where the wedding party was waiting for the cue to begin down the aisle.

Fleur look dazzling, I couldn’t lie; her dress was a shimmering white absolutely perfect for a mid-summer wedding. The straps where thin and the fabric clung loosely all the way down to the ground, her golden hair was piled up on the crown of her head with soft tendrils falling to her neck. It seemed however there was a problem with the tiara.

“It is just so ‘eavy! I do not want to be ‘ude but-”

“Don’t worry dear, I know what’ll do the trick,” my mother said with a wave of her wand. “How is that?”

“Oh zank you Molly! I do not know what I was tinking agreeing to zat Muriel.”

I laughed, “Trust me everyone can sympathize.”

The ceremony started shortly after that, and as I made it down I aisle I kept my eyes focused on my brother, who happened to look like the cat that ate the canary. But of course I couldn’t hold out that long and glanced over at the red head seated next to Hermione. The only red head who was not my relative, he looked as though he was about ready to eat the canary. I smiled smugly at my own joke. That was when I really started to like the dress.

My brother’s wedding was like a dream, for the most part, the time we actually had went by with ease and romance.

About halfway through the ceremony however I couldn’t help but feeling the burning sensation at the back of my head of a particular person watching me. If Harry really did regret breaking up with me, or if he just regretted kissing me he was still a randy teenage boy and so when I turned around and sent him a saucy wink, not only was it fun but I felt he deserved it.

A while later everyone was on the dance floor, the twins were flirting shamelessly with some of Fleur’s cousins, Charlie over by the bar discussing dragons with Hagrid, mum serving food and greeting each guest personally, and Harry, sitting down with a glass of butterbeer. He couldn’t have been any more predictable if he tried.

“Hey Ginny!” An old familiar voice called out from behind me.

“LEE!” I laughed pulling him into a hug. I had a lot of memories with Lee Jordan, him being the twin’s right hand man they were rarely ever separated while at school. He was actually the one who taught me how to thwart Fred and George.

He smiled and spun me around, “Ginny I have to say you are gorgeous, of course you always were, your brothers must still be giving you a hard time with the over protective rubbish aren’t they?”

“Naturally! And thanks for the compliment you always were the charmer.”

“So Weasley got yourself a boyfriend?”

I blushed, but replied with the first thing that came to my mind, “Yes actually, but he’s really the jealous type so you’d better be careful.” I said it with humor as to not hurt his feelings.

“Oh you’re breaking my heart Ginny! Is he here now though?”

“Er-no-but-”

“Then dance with me there’s no harm in that now is there?”

I shook my head laughing, “No I guess not.”

I danced with practically everyone, got a load of cheek pinches, pats on the head and a thousand comments on how beautiful and grown up I was. It was fun, the only thing that would have made it better would have been if Harry had asked me to dance, but as it was he wasn’t dancing with anyone.

“Is the bridesmaid too busy to dance with the groom? Or can she spare one song?”

I looked up into Bill’s scarred face; he was still so handsome you would barely believe he had ever faced Greyback. “I can spare as many as you want, it’s your day.”

Bill and I danced for a bit, until he noticed my preoccupation with watching Harry. “So Fred and George have been going on and on recently about you and Harry.”

“Oh really? And what have they said exactly?” I asked keeping my voice under control.

Bill shrugged, “Only that you two have been acting odd around each other this summer. They reckon it’s because you fancy each other. Rather than fighting like cats and dogs like Ron and Hermione.”

“Yes well those two are the ones who need to get their acts together, there’s nothing between Harry and I. We’re just friends.”

“It’s funny; those are the same exact words Ron uses every time it comes up.”

“Because it’s true.”

“I don’t know Ginny,” he smirked twirling me around, “You both sound too well rehearsed.”

“Rehearsed?” my voice cracked.

“I’m a curse breaker Ginny, noticing and studying things is what I do.”

“You’re wrong.”

“You’d tell me if I were right wouldn’t you?”

I hated lying to Bill, anyone else I don’t even blink, but I’ve always been so close to Bill, it hurt to lie so straight forward. “Of course I would.”

I found Luna eventually and we had a few laughs observing the crowd and I realized just how much I missed my friend, she was so…refreshing.

“So he hasn’t asked you to dance yet?”

“Who?”

“Harry of course.”

I almost choked on my butterbeer, “Harry isn’t even here.”

“Oh that’s right; he changed his name to Barny.” She nodded in understanding.

I just stared at her, “How did you know?”

“If you didn’t already know wouldn’t you have been able to tell?”

As always Luna made me think, “I guess so.”

“So why haven’t you danced with him?”

“He hasn’t asked.”

Luna swayed to the music and her bright yellow robes followed her, “Then why don’t you ask him?”

It was the best suggestion I had heard all day. “You know what? I think I will.”

“Alright then,” she called after me, “Just don’t let him convince you to change your name too, Ginevra is uniquely you!”

I was making my way through the dance floor when it happened. Not more than four feet away from me did a silver patronus appear in the form of a lynx. It was Kingsley’s.

“The ministry has fallen. Scrimgeour is dead. They are coming.”

All hell broke loose people were running and Disapparating screams were heard all over the yard. I broke out into a run knowing I had to find Harry but not knowing why. This dreaded feeling came over me when he wasn’t seated where I had seen him not two seconds before.

“Bill!”

“Arthur!”

Everything was a blur as I pushed person after person out of my way. And soon there were other people in the yard, people in masks and cloaks. But I didn’t let myself panic like all the others, I had to find Harry, I had to find Harry.

And finally I spotted him. Across the dance floor beneath the tent that was coming down.

There were sparks of light and magic been thrown about, people running and screaming for others all around tables being overturned but still in the moment everything around me slowed down. And I knew that was it, I wasn’t going to make it to the other side to meet him. Harry was standing with Hermione and she called for Ron, when my brother appeared I knew there were only seconds left.

Harry saw me with only milliseconds to spare. I wanted to say goodbye, to wave or something, but I couldn’t. I couldn’t move I couldn’t feel, or hear or see anything else. Harry saw me then grabbed Hermione’s hand. Harry looked at me painfully with regret, and then…

He was gone.

And I didn’t even get to say goodbye.

All that hoping that he’d change his mind was for nothing. All the wasted time trying to get information out of them went in vain; I was left with nothing but bits and pieces I would have to put together.

I knew I couldn’t stand there starring at an empty spot forever there was dangerous chaos ensuing around me but I couldn’t find it in me to care, or at least move. They were gone and I was left behind. I had no idea when or if I would ever see them again and we didn’t even get to say goodbye.

“GINNY!”

“What is she doing?!”

“GET HER OUT OF HERE NOW!”

I felt arms grab at me and my feet began to move with the rest of me though I didn’t know where I was going. They weren’t coming back. They were going to go kill off the most dangerous wizard of all time…without me.

If one thing was for sure Fred, George and I were going to meet again that night.

For there was so much to toast to.
Reviews 136
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear