Search:

SIYE Time:9:13 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


You Just Know
By LoveIsMagicHarry

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP, Post-DH/AB, Post-DH/PM
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 11
Summary: Lily Luna asks Harry how he knew he wanted to marry Ginny.
Hitcount: Story Total: 6023



Disclaimer: J.K. Rowling owns this world and the characters, and although this story is mine, it would be nothing without her. I didn't create the magical world of Harry Potter, for if I did, it wouldn't be nearly as miraculous. All hail JKR.



Author's Notes:
It's very fluffy and not very good, but it's the first fiction I've ever gotten published on this site, so please owl me of what you think of it. Much appreciated, as I am an aspiring writer who needs all the help she can get.




ChapterPrinter


“Dad, tell me again when you knew you wanted to marry Mummy.”

With her big brown eyes, fiery hair and feisty personality, Lily was the spitting image of her mother. Now, she gazed imploringly up at her father. His bright emerald eyes twinkled down at her.

“Well,” he began with a wistful smile, “It all started the summer before my sixth year at Hogwarts…. Your mum and I became close friends that summer, and I could feel that something had changed between us.”



It was the last night before they were to board the Hogwarts Express. For the first time in his life, Harry was not looking forward to the end of the summer. He was eager to return to Hogwarts, but the thought of not waking up to bright sunshine, not laughing and playing Quidditch, and not having more adventures like any other teenager made him gloomy. He wondered to himself why this was. A certain fiery red-head came to his mind, but he pushed the thought away. Why was he thinking of Ginny? They had become close over the past weeks. He had found that Ginny could, to his surprise, read him and understand him better than ever Hermione, with her mothering behaviors, could. Ginny was fun and a good laugh, and he liked being around her, but she also knew when he needed to be alone, or when he needed to talk to someone. She was unlike any girl he knew. She wasn’t self-conscious or shallow, and she wasn’t afraid to get dirty or messy. Gin wasn’t prissy and she stood her own with her many brothers. He smiled, remembering the prank they had played on Ron together just last week, involving Hermione’s knickers, Ron’s face turning beet red, and gut-busting laughing for Harry and Ginny.

He was brought back to the present by a rough elbow in the ribs from Ron. Harry looked blankly around the Burrow’s kitchen table. “Mum asked you a question” Ron said baldy as he stuffed a fourth serving of casserole into his mouth. All thoughts of Ginny were furiously pushed out of his mind as he tried to enjoy his last dinner of the summer.
Later that evening, the last of the dishes had been cleared from the rather large and crowded Weasley table, and, although Mrs. Weasley protested, Harry insisted on washing the dishes.

“Why don’t you just go play chess with Ron or relax with the others, Harry dear?” she suggested.

But Harry was resolute. “It’s the least I could do Mrs. Weasley, really. You’ve done so much for me.”

“Oh, Harry” Mrs. Weasley went to him and pulled him into a suffocating hug while Fred and George mimicked them behind her back.

“And you, boys,” she started angrily as she turned to the white-faced twins. “You would do well to learn a thing or two from Harry. Isn’t he sweet?” And she turned back to Harry, once again fondly exclaiming over him.

Later, Harry was up to his elbows in soapy water, admiring the view in the window above the sink. Gnomes scampered stealthily through the hedge towards the garden, and the sun was just beginning to set, turning the hills beyond the Burrow golden and majestic. He couldn’t imagine a happier place on earth.

Lost in thought, he didn’t hear Ginny come and stand beside him.

“It’s not much, but it’s ours,” she murmured softly.

He looked down at her. “It’s brilliant,” he said as he smiled fondly at her. She returned it and began to rinse the dishes in the sink.

“You don’t have to-“ he began, but stopped himself. He wanted to spend time with her. As a friend, of course.

The wireless was playing softly in the corner, and the summer evening cast a quiet and comfortable feeling in the kitchen. He felt content. He looked down at Ginny. She was concentrating on rinsing the many dishes, and Harry felt a strong urge of something he couldn’t explain, or, for that matter, understand. All of a sudden, an image flashed through his mind: it was himself years from now, washing up after supper, listening to the wireless and admiring the view. Then he saw an older-looking Ginny next to him, and she began to dance. They laughed, and Harry had never saw anyone look happier. That was when he knew.

Almost two years later, he and Ginny offered to clean up after dinner. Tomorrow they would go back to school to finish their seventh year together, and then Harry would begin Auror training. He was sad that the summer was over, but he was ready to start a life without Voldemort’s shadow looming over him. The first half of the summer had been taken up by funerals, speeches, and efforts to rebuild Hogwarts. There hadn’t been much time to spend with Ginny, just to reconnect and be together. He, Hermione, and the Weasleys had been at the Burrow, but there was a noticeable difference with Fred gone.

Tonight, he and Ginny wanted nothing more than to spend a quiet evening together before the hustle and bustle of school took over their lives.

“Do you remember,” he said, breaking the comfortable silence between them, “ the first time we washed dishes together? The summer before my sixth year. It was an evening just like this, but there was so much different then. Voldemort was still alive, I hadn’t told you that I loved you, and Fr-“he faltered. “Fred was still here.”

“Of course I remember,” she said, her eyes with that familiar blazing look in them. “I remember everything.”

“That was when I knew,” he said quietly.

“Knew what?” She locked her eyes with his.

“That I wanted to spend the rest of my life with you.”

He tipped her chin up and kissed her lips softly.

As the sun set over the house, the young couple watched with their arms wrapped around each other as their world was bathed in soft pinks and golds. All was well.



“But, Daddy, how did you know? All you did was wash dishes,” Lily pressed urgently. “I don’t understand.”

“You will someday, Lily. When you love someone, you know that you want to spend the rest of your life with them, because you can’t see your life without them. You just know it.”
Reviews 11
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear