Search:

SIYE Time:22:30 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Afterglow: A Continuation of the Harry Potter Series
By Skies

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/AB
Characters:All
Genres: Drama, General, Romance
Warnings: None
Rating: R
Reviews: 4
Summary: *** The author has been reminded via the e-mail address on file that this story is listed as incomplete and has not been updated in over 2 years ***

This is my attempt to tell the story of what happened after the end of Deathly Hallows, the end of the main story not the epilogue. Obviously, the main focus of this story will be the budding relationship between Harry and Ginny, though I will try to involve all characters to some degree. This is my first fan fiction so I am very eager to receive any reviews and comments. Note: The R-rating is because I may make the call to use language with the characters later on. As I see them aging a few years in the story, it's a very real possibility that a curse might be used somewhere along the line. This allows for great artistic freedom on my part if I should decide to later.
Hitcount: Story Total: 4599



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
This first chapter is probably what you expect it to be. Several of our main players make an appearance and then we are updated on the events taking place in Hogwarts when last we saw Harry.




ChapterPrinter


Ch. 1: Losing Sleep



It was so cold that night. Hundreds of men and women, unified against one force stood vigilant for the return of their hero. The Boy Who Lived was missing and they knew the time had come. They waited with baited breath, gathered together waiting for the turn of events that would define their lives from there on out. Whoever, emerged from that forest would come before them either as their enemy or their savior. A large form emerged from the thick black. Many recognized Hagrid from a distance, but all eyes fell on the bundle in his hands. The body was instantly recognizable by all. For nearly seven years his face had become a common sight to all. Be it for his friendship or what his existence promised.

His very name inspired: Harry Potter. A common name, a simple name, something you'd see in the paper and forget soon thereafter. But not this boy. Hagrid's thick shoulders convulsed and his bloodshot eyes delivered ill news before even the body itself could be seen properly. A gasp and a cry came from the masses gathered as the body of their hopes and dreams of a better tomorrow was delivered to them cold and gone. A cool laugh echoed now and remained constantly on the wind. Voldemort's cackle was a twisting of the knife as Hagrid displayed the broken body in his arms. From here events played close to as they had. Neville's valiant effort, the promise of torment to the crowd, the battle...but now it all went differently at the end. Harry Potter was dead

I'm dead.

and no force could rekindle his lost life. In this time, all those gathered died by the hands of the dark forces around them. In his minds eye, Harry can see them writhing in pain, left to suffer while the Death Eaters continued their malicious work. He sees Malfoy forgoing all dreams of justice and honor and killing his classmates while laughing viciously. Ron and Hermione die in a corner. A brave last stand where they die together but still alone. In this place, it was all done and over with. Everyone died. And everyone was burned. His friends, his teachers, all dead together. He sees them burning now and cries out from a place he cannot name. Their bodies ash and leave his site. Ron, Hermione, Hagrid, George, Fred, Percy, Luna, Ms. Weasley, Mr. Weasley

Ginny!

His eyes shot to life and he awoke sitting up and sweating profusely. His throat was sore and he briefly wondered if he'd cried out in his sleep. It didn't matter. It was over. He looked at the clock nearby and it dawned on him. Less than 12 hours ago he'd stood and faced the most powerful and cruel wizard to ever live and through a miraculous turn of events had lived to tell the tale. It was very early. His body still seemed numb beneath him but he was now struck with a restless pull to move himself. He had lived so long in the shadow of his responsibilities. Now seemed the perfect time to start his own life. His real own life. He had to get hold of Ron and Hermione. They obviously want to know what happened in greater detail, his previous explanation being rushed and through a strong weariness. He had to find the teachers and speak to them about what happened as well. If anyone was in charge at this point it was McGonagall. He would have to find her soon. After that, a quiet place at the burrow to plan his future. Maybe revisit his missing year at Hogwarts, look for a job.

The wealth of possibilities inspired a new urge to get out of bed and get started. Still it was quite early so he would at least settle for a walk to clear his mind. He eased slowly out of bed and placed a robe on. He immediately noticed Ron was not there. Obviously he was with his family now. The room was actually quite empty, so people must still be moving about the castle. What in the world should he say to Ron? How do you console someone for this kind of loss? Hermione was there now though. He'd have an ear to confide in. Harry couldn't suppress a smirk at this as he turned to leave.

Come to think of it, wasn't there some kind of rule about not wandering after hours? As Harry descended the stairs, a small place in Harry's mind began to wish dearly that Filch and his ragged cat would try and stop him.

So sorry, sir. It's just that I felt the need to stretch my legs a bit. You see I'm quite spent from saving the whole of the wizarding world less than a day ago. What were doing at that time? Threatening a Death Eater with detention? Something like that?

Harry smiled again and he was very aware of how good it felt to really mean a smile again. He was free to live now and all was

“Oh!”

Harry was startled by the sound. He had figured the common room empty at this time. His shock was furthered by the source. Ginny Weasley, in a robe much like his own with its Gryffindor logo on the right chest, was curled up in a small chair. One he had sat in only a few months ago himself as she leaned on his legs and teased her brother playfully, as if the world wasn't preparing to crash around them. She stood up quickly and clutched a piece of paper close to her stomach with both hands. The room was warmly, yet dimly, lit but he could see her eyes were red but dry.

“Oh...” was all Harry could manage in return, still quite shocked himself. Surely he could find something better to say. Wasn't this the moment he'd waited on? Months and months in the woods, thinking of this one girl, this one moment. Say something Potter!

“Umm...I'm sorry. I didn't...I mean...” ...a deep breath... “I didn't know anyone was down here. I'm sorry, Ginny. I didn't mean to startle you.”

She eased herself, but remained rigid in posture. Harry was quickly reminded of Ms. Weasley when she suspected her boys were up to no good.

“It's fine. I just needed to...” the words fell away and she seemed to resolve to leave them unspoken

An awkward silence fell between them now for several seconds.

“Ginny, are you all right?”

It was a very honest question Harry felt. Her brother was dead, some of her friends as well, and a war that had been a part of both of their lives for a long time had ended. Harry was concerned for her. He had never forgotten her face.

Ginny looked directly at him, unwavering. “I'm fine...really, thanks.” She seemed determined as always to be strong.

“Good.” It seemed so hard to speak now. What do you say in this situation? What's the right thing to do?

Harry was so lost in thought, he almost failed to notice her turn and make for the stairs leading to the girls beds.

“Wait. Hold on.”

“Yes?” She seemed short now and perturbed.

“Look, whatever's wrong...I...well, I'm...you should know...”

“Harry...”

Her voice was very soft. Harry looked at her and noticed her eyes seemed glazed in the light. She descended the steps and stood in front of him. He could now make out lines down her cheeks. She hardly ever cried and those thin lines worried him greatly.

“I know your worried, you always are, but I don't want you to be, okay? Not about this. I mean, it's very sweet...and I appreciate it. But I just need some time, okay?”

A small hint of concern was on her face now, like she'd said too much. But, for Harry, all the awkwardness of the situation melted from his shoulders because he knew now how she felt. He knew exactly what it was to need to be alone with ones thoughts.

He gave her a small smile and rubbed her arm reassuringly. “I understand. I do. Believe me I...I really do.” He paused briefly and spit out what he wanted her to know. “If you ever need to talk, don't hesitate, just ask. All right?”

She nodded slowly and Harry could tell that while she heard every word she was eager to go upstairs. She was still holding on to that piece of paper.

“All right. Good night, Ginny.” He almost kissed her forehead, but decided against it. Whatever happened between them later, for the moment at least, Ginny needed time to collect herself and he would not complicate things for her. Besides, that would all come in due time. He would let things stand and wait until she was ready. He just silently wished he knew when that was.

“Good night, Potter.” And with that, she gave him a small smile and squeezed his hand as she made her way back up the stairs. Harry's heart leaped at her touch and her smile, and he knew she'd be fine. The door shut behind her and Harry made for the portrait. He'd just opened it when he heard Ginny's voice behind him calling his name. He turned to see her peeking out from the door to where she slept.

“Yes?”, he said, curious of her intentions and at the same time berating himself for thinking as much.

Ginny seemed to steel herself, “I missed you, and I'm glad you're home.”

Harry looked back at her and had the immediate urge to run up the stairs and hold her. Instead, he simply replied, “Me too, Ginny. I'll see you in a few hours all right.”

She nodded her head and the two exchanged good byes one last time. Harry's walk was uninterrupted by any janitor's of any kind. He walked through the devastation of the halls and a small part of him ached to see this beautiful place that he had called home for so long broken and battered. The occasional muffled voice reminded him that people were still up and moving. Thankfully, he passed none. He tried to think of all the things he had intended. What to do now? Where to go? Where to live? Instead, he now only thought of a pretty red haired girl who by now was fast asleep still clutching a small scrap of mysterious paper. These thoughts stayed with him long after he returned to his four-poster bed and on through the night till morning.


__________________ ________________________________________ _________________________



The next day came with a bitter haze. Dust and smoke still hung in the air and everything seemed to be seen through a grainy filter. Harry awoke late that day to Ron encouraging him to get up. He didn't ask any questions and Harry was grateful for it. He'd much rather tell the story once and not to both Ron and Hermione separately.

“How you feelin' mate?”

Ron obviously was concerned for his friend but Harry knew what he felt was nothing compared to Ron's emotions. Your brother is dead, your classmates are dead as well and probably still laying out there somewhere, and now you've got the girl of your dreams with you. It's like getting punched in the face and kissed at the same time. Still hurts. Harry worried about the stability of their new relationship. It quietly dawned on him that Ginny was right. He did worry about everything.

“I'm fine. You?”

“Gettin' there, I suppose. Just had the longest night of my life.”

“How's your family?” Harry asked unsure if he should approach the topic.

Ron looked away and took a small breath liked he'd been asked this before, multiple times, and all ready knew exactly what he was going to say.

“Mum and Dad are worst for the wear and George...well, obviously there's just not much to do for him but be there for him. Bill and Charlie and Percy are helping me take care of them, but Percy's nearly as torn up as George. He was there, you know? Not too say Bill and Charlie are doing any better. Anyway, Ginny's probably taking it the best, which takes a lot off my shoulders now. I feel like I'm lookin' after my whole family now.”

Harry couldn't help but feel a twinge of pride in his friend. He was facing a crisis like an adult and holding his chin up high. They had all grown since they first met, and Harry saw that more than ever in his best mate. Ginny's name reminded him of the events of last night, but it was probably best to belay that for the moment. Still, whether he wanted to or not...he worried.

“I'm sorry Ron, and if you need anything, lemme know all right?”

“Thanks, mate. Anyway, Hermione's waiting outside the portrait. We gotta go meet Ms. McGonagall. Or the Headmistress if you like.”

Harry smiled at the title Ron had intentionally put just a little too much grandeur too. But Ron had not smiled or acted in anyway as he normally did. He was obviously tired, but there seemed a bigger weight on his shoulders.

“Ron?”

Ron spun quickly and looked at Harry with burning eyes. He seemed eager to move on. To keep moving. Maybe that made it all easier to deal with, Harry thought.

“Nothing, mate.” Harry walked down the stairs beside his friend and threw an arm around his shoulders, patting his opposite shoulder firmly and pulling away almost as quickly. Ron made only the slightest gesture at this, but Harry knew he had done enough.

This was something Ron wanted and needed to deal with on his own. Harry couldn't help him here, though he'd do anything if asked. Here again Harry would wait on the sidelines for his friends to adjust to their loss and while the idea made him a little lonely, he knew it was for the best. He'd be there when times were better. He knew.

Hermione waited just beyond the portrait. As soon as Harry walked out she threw her arms around his neck and hugged as hard as she could. It was a small but wondrous comfort for Harry to know he had such good friends. When they separated, the three briefly discussed what they thought was about to happen.

“Well, obviously she wants to know about what happened to you, Harry.” Hermione spoke with a slight hoarseness easily gained by one who had worked and spoken constantly through the night. Harry suddenly felt quite ashamed to have spent the night asleep in a warm bed while others worked. However, when he thought back to his condition, it was evident he was on his very last leg. He would have gotten in the way and been made a spectacle to slow down the work that needed to be done. He knew this, and still felt that he should have been there. Some things never change.

Ron started a little, “I doubt it'll be that simple, l- Hermione. Don't forget we got a whole years worth of explaining to do about where we were and what happened.”

“So no more of this was discussed last night then? We'll be telling it all for the first time?” Harry was distinctly amazed neither had been cornered and interrogated as soon as possible.

“Ms. McGonagall made it clear that me and Ron were to be undisturbed and left to ourselves. She also guessed where you were. Speaking of which, do you feel any better, Harry?”

“Yeah, I feel a lot better. I just knew staying would cause a ruckus and I was so exhausted I couldn't see straight. I just don't know how much help I could have been.”

Ron had been yawning but snapped his head up at this. “Listen mate, if anyone deserved to lie down for a bit it was you. No one's worried about you helpin' enough. That's for sure.”

Harry smiled at this and thanked Ron quietly. Hermione suddenly turned quickly at a yell of her name from down the hall. It was Neville making his way slowly towards them. He just now seemed to notice Harry.

“Harry? Harry, there you are!”

Neville started in a mild sprint but quickly abandoned it, panting a little. He was obviously just as tired as anyone else there and his bruised face still bothered Harry. Somethings were just impossible to forgive Harry thought. Harry grabbed Neville's hand and quickly through the other hand around his shoulder. Harry had gained a large amount of respect for Neville since his brave charge against Voldemort and his killing strike on Nagini. Not to mention his faith in Harry and his defense of the students at Hogwarts over the school year. Neville returned the gesture with a smile.

“How you doin' Neville? You look like you need to lie down for a bit?”

“Oh, I'm doing fine Harry. Just a little tired from the events, you know?”

A thought crossed Harry's mind then and he couldn't help himself from smiling slyly. “I guess showing off that fancy sword to the witches about could be tiresome.”

Neville blinked then laughed suddenly at this as if embarrassed at the possibility. Ron and Hermione both looked at each other in mutual amusement.

“You'll make me blush, Harry. Anyway, Hermione, could I borrow you for a second?”

“Sure. We've got to head to the Headmast...well, Mistresses office and its on the way. What do you need?”

Hermione and Neville began to speak together about moving and cleaning various areas of the castle. Harry and Ron hung back and Harry used the distance to sneak a question to Ron.

“What are they goin' on about, then?”

Ron leaned to his side a little and continued the low whisper as well. “Hermione and some of Dumbledore's Army have been up all night trying to repair some of the damage to the castle. It's easier than you think, least that's what Hermione told me. They really knew what they were doin' when they built this place apparently. Hermione said there are some old magics in areas of the castle that nearly do the work for you. They still think it'll be a few months though.”

Harry nodded his head at this. The fact that work was already being done to repair the castle was encouraging. They were all beaten, but not surrendering. Or maybe it was all just like it was with Ron. Maybe, everyone just needed to keep moving. Harry felt a little helpless now, but prophecy fulfilled or no, he had the strong need to help his friends who had never abandoned him.

Thoughts of his friends did bring up an interesting point, though, and whether it was the proper time or place or not, Harry though it was worth mentioning.

“Whatever you say...love.”

Ron flushed at this, “What?”

Harry laughed a little, “I heard you earlier. You nearly called Hermione 'love'.

Ron turned and looked at Hermione who noticed and smiled back at him, unaware, Ron hoped, of what he and Harry were discussing. Harry couldn't repress his smile with all the force his body could muster.

Ron then sucked in a wad of air quickly. Harry couldn't tell but thought that just maybe Ron was trying to puff his chest out a bit.

“So what? I mean, you saw what happened last night? Afterward, when all the confusion and battle died down, and we said good night to you, we had a long walk. We got a lot of things off our chests and ...” at this point he was smiling a little “she feels the same way. But listen mate, we're keepin' this quiet for a little bit. It's not like its bad news, its just I don't won't my mum to have to deal with one more thing right now, all right?”

This last bit Ron spoke very urgently. Harry thought back to last night and his run-in with Ginny. He was suddenly very happy with his decision to wait. He had been right in his thoughts, at least according to Ron.

“I get it. I'll be quiet, mate. If that's what you want.”

“Thanks, Harry.” They were nearing the entrance to the office when Neville excused himself and ran back down the hall before turning to some other part of the castle. Harry and Ron were approaching Hermione, when Harry worked in one last jibe.

“Ready, love?”

“Piss off, mate.” Ron grinned as he said it.
Reviews 4
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear