Search:

SIYE Time:22:44 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Flying Free
By A Drop of Fire

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/AB
Characters:All
Genres: Drama, General
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 5
Summary: Takes place four days after the Final Battle. Harry, Ginny, Ron, and Hermione attend the Memorial Service with something special planned.
Hitcount: Story Total: 5058



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
This story just came to me while I was on vacation. I decided I'd post it. If you're reading my other story, To Live Is To Fight, don't worry...I'm working on the next chapter...it's just taking me a while...anyways...I hope you like this little fic!




ChapterPrinter


Flying Free



The sun rose slowly above the distant horizon, light streaming across the Hogwarts grounds, illuminating the destruction of the final battle that had taken place only four days earlier. The orange light slid up the castle walls reflecting off the many glass windowpanes and gently waking the remaining fighters from their fitful sleep. Harry Potter, The Boy Who Lived and The Boy Who Won, was among those who chose to remain in the castle.

The light seeped into the seventh year dormitory where he was hunched over, his back resting against the headboard of his bed, glasses askew. He had tried to avoid sleep at all costs, fearing the dreams that he knew would come: The images of Voldemort standing before him, wand ready, the Killing curse already forming on his lips…Ron and Hermione kissing…Ginny running from the Room of Requirement, ready to fight…Fred’s face frozen in a laugh as he was killed in the explosion…Remus and Tonks lying on cots, wide eyed, staring into nothing…The Weasleys crowded around their lost son, Mrs. Weasley and Ginny in tears, George staring blankly at his dead brother, his other half…

However, sleep had at last claimed the seventeen year old hero. Yes, the sleep was plagued by horrible memories, but it was sleep nonetheless. Harry was able to escape the present, escape the sensation of being torn between life, hope, and joy or death, grief, and guilt. Even in his troubled sleep, he could find a small bit of happiness and revel in it, ever so briefly, watching as the smiling faces of loved ones swam underneath his closes eyelids.

But, alas, the sunlight landed on his face and Harry jerked awake. His green eyes looked around the room, stopping on the still sleeping figure of his best friend, Ron Weasley. He was snoring soundly, having taken a Dreamless Sleep potion the previous night. Harry had refused Mrs. Weasley’s offer of the potion, preferring to the struggle against sleep. He did not know why he passed up the chance at true sleep. Maybe it had to do with the fact that he did not want to forget what had happened, even for a moment. He wanted to remember the lives that were gone, remember what it took to save every one that still survived.

Tearing his eyes away from Ron, Harry dragged himself off his bed and got dressed. It was only when he was opening the dormitory door that he remembered what was happening that afternoon–the Memorial Service. He could not believe that he had forgotten. He had talked to Ron, Hermione, Ginny about what he wanted to do at it, had planned something. It had been all he could think about for three days. Sighing, Harry glanced back at Ron and stepped out the door, closing it softly behind him. He made his way down the stairs to the common room, which already held a large amount of people for so early. The entire remaining Order of the Phoenix was there along with all the other Weasleys. All the heads looked up as Harry stepped into the room, but he was seeking the youngest Weasley. He saw her sitting in a window seat, staring out at the ground and began to make his way over to her.

People stared at him, even after three days had passed since the battle. Some patted him on the back and others whispered praises. Harry wished they would stop, stop staring and talking. Sitting down beside Ginny, he softly said, “Hey, Gin.”

She turned toward him, her red hair rippling in the early morning light. Her eyes were bright, but there was a sadness hidden in their chocolate brown depths. Ginny was handling Fred’s death pretty well. She was strong, but every once in a while, she would break down. Harry was always there to comfort her, but he could not lie and tell her the pain of the loss would disappear. He had realized that after having lost his parents and Sirius. Ginny leaned towards Harry and kissed him lightly on the lips. She pulled away and whispered, “Hey.”

They sat quietly in the window seat for a few minutes. Ginny turned back to look out at the Hogwarts grounds, her fingers absentmindedly tracing patterns on the knee of Harry’s pants. Harry pulled her hand off his leg and held in lightly in his own. Ginny didn’t turn away from the window, but her face angled slightly towards Harry, waiting for him to say something.

“Gin, let’s take a walk.” Harry stood up after Ginny had nodded her head. He pulled her up off of the seat and they walked to the portrait hole. Harry pushed it open and they stepped out into the hall. The Fat Lady’s portrait closed with a dull thud. They started through the castle, noticing that the house elves had repaired a large amount of the damage from the battle. Professors and other witches and wizards were helping to clear up the ruble-strewn passageways and repair other damages done by the Death Eaters. Harry and Ginny reached the Great Hall and out through the open doors into the grounds.

Here too, people were milling about, fixing the outside of the castle. Others were father off into the grounds setting up for the Memorial Service. Harry led Ginny to his favorite tree by the lake–the one the Marauders had once sat under, James Potter casually catching his snitch. The two settled at the base of the tree and sat watching the people move about them. They sat and talked, even shared the occasional kiss.

The sun rose higher into the sky. The witches and wizards setting up for the Memorial Service had placed rows and rows of white chairs across the green grass in front of Dumbledore’s tomb. A small stage had been Conjured between the chairs and the tomb. In the center stood a podium with a few more white chairs on either side of it. It was almost time.

At two o’clock, an hour before the ceremony, Harry stood up, Ginny following. She looked at Harry as he stared at the rows of chairs. Ginny reached up a hand and placed her palm on his cheek. Harry turned into her hand to look at her. “Are you ready for this, Harry?” Ginny asked, thinking of what he had discussed with her, Ron, and Hermione.

Harry looked into her warm brown eyes and saw the lingering sadness along with something else–love and hope. His eyes reflected the same–adoration, sadness, but a hope for the future, when the pain would lessen. Harry found his voice and said, “Yes, but are you? I mean what about Ron and the rest of your family?”

Ginny’s eyes seemed to fill with sorrow but it was quickly replaced with that hard, blazing look that Harry had grown to love so much. “Harry, what you are going to do is more than anyone could ever hope for. You’re giving Fred, Remus, Tonks, and all the others a proper farewell–something everyone will remember. Everyone’s going to love it and Ron wouldn’t be helping if he didn’t want you to do it!”

Harry smiled softly and, together, they made their way back to the castle to change into their dress robes and give the dead one final goodbye.

~**~**~

At three o’clock witches and wizards from all over England were seated in the white chairs waiting for the Memorial Service to begin. The members of the Order of the Phoenix were seated near the front, along with the students that had fought in the battle. Harry, Ginny, Ron, and Hermione were seated directly in front of the podium. Kingsley Shacklebolt, the new Minister of Magic, was standing behind the podium. Various ministry officials were seated in the chairs behind the podium. The Hogwarts professors were seated with the ministry officials. The noise died down as Kingsley began to speak. His deep, soothing voice rang out across the grounds and captured the audience.

“We are gathered here today to remember the lives that were lost in the battle for a better future. The family members and friends that we have lost can never be replaced, nor can they be forgotten. They willingly threw themselves into battle, knowing that they may not come out again. This is a difficult time for everyone, torn between rejoice and sorrow. It is hard to believe that there will be a bright, hopeful light of tomorrow while we are surrounded by so much death and despair…” Kingsley continued, reducing the crowd to tears. He finished speaking and turned to glance back at Professor McGonagall who sat holding her wand in her lap, waiting to be called forward. Kingsley looked back at the audience and said, “Now, before we say goodbye one last time, we would like to thank those students who fought four days ago. Professor McGonagall?”

Minerva McGonagall stood up and took her place behind the podium as the Minister stepped down. “On behalf of the entire Hogwarts staff, I would like to present students with special services to the school awards.” The professor started calling names of the students who would receive the awards. Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Neville, and Luna were among these.

McGonagall finished calling names and stepped down. Kingsley took over once more. “I would also like to reward some very special people who made our victory possible with Orders of Merlin. First, to Miss Hermione Jane Granger, Order of Merlin Second Class.”

The audience erupted in cheers. Hermione’s eyes were wide, her mouth open in a small “O” of surprise. Ron nudged her and she stood and walked to the stage. She reached the podium where Kingsley handed her a plaque and placed a silver medallion around her neck. Hermione’s face reddened as she looked at the audience, a wide smile on her face. She took the seat on the side of the stage that Kingsley directed her to sit in.

“Second, to Mr. Ronald Bilius Weasley, Order of Merlin Second Class,” Kingsley boomed out through the crowd.

Ron’s face blanched and then, almost immediately, reddened to the famous Weasley blush. The rest of the Weasley exploded into cheers as Ron made his way to the stage and accepted both the plaque and silver medallion. He took a seat beside Hermione.

“This war cost us all a great effort. But without this one person, our hope would have been lost forever. He has been the wizarding world’s hero since the age of one. Now seventeen, he has proven himself yet again as the savior of not only our world, but that of the Muggles, too. I give you, Mr. Harry James Potter, Order of Merlin First Class.”

Harry stood to deafening roars and accepted his plaque and gold medallion. Kingsley rung his hand and smiled at him. Harry, however, did not take a seat like Ron and Hermione had done. He instead stood next to the Minister and whispered something in the older man’s ear. Kingsley nodded and took a seat as Harry stepped behind the podium. The audience immediately fell silent, the purpose of the ceremony falling back over them like a thick black veil. Harry looked around at all the faces of people he knew and loved. He took a deep breath and began to speak.

“While I’m greatly honored with this award, I am not the true hero of this war. The real heroes lie in those who willingly gave their lives to defeat evil. Every person who has died for the hope of a better world is a hero. The dead have saved this world by paying the highest price. Their absence, now, burns our hearts with grief and sorrow. But they would not want us to dwell on their deaths. They would want us to move on and be happy. The pain of losing a loved one will never disappear, but over time it will lessen. We must all live our lives thinking only of happier times with lost loved ones. I wanted to speak at this ceremony to give all our friends a proper goodbye–one that will set them, and us, free, free to begin again and to have a better life…If Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger and Ginny Weasley would all join me on the stage.”

Harry walked around the podium and stood in front of it. Ron and Hermione stood and joined him on his left. Ginny moved out from the audience and stood on his right. All four pulled out their wands and held them at the ready. Harry began to speak once more. “To those we have lost, may your souls find peace, may all of you fly free.”

The four teenagers waved their wands and hundreds of white doves were appeared out of thin air. Ginny took hold of Harry’s hand as everyone watched the white doves fly up into the sky. Harry spoke softly so only Ron, Hermione, and Ginny could hear. “To my parents, Sirius, Remus, Tonks, and Fred…fly free.”

He pulled Ginny closer to him as they watched the pure white doves fly off into the blue sky, the sun shimmering and glistening on the tips of delicate wings. The late spring breeze blew over the ceremony as gentle as a sigh and the doves disappeared into the warm light of the sun.

~Fin~
Reviews 5
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear