Search:

SIYE Time:12:32 on 18th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


A Time To Live
By megant0412

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/AB
Characters:None
Genres: Romance
Warnings: None
Rating: G
Reviews: 24
Summary: *** The author has been reminded via the e-mail address on file that this story is listed as incomplete and has not been updated in over 2 years ***

Ginny finds Harry alone on the day after the final battle. A short but sweet fic about learning to live again.
Hitcount: Story Total: 5976



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
So I've been reading Harry Potter fanfiction for years now, but I've never been brave enough to submit anything... until now. I know my writing is a work in progress to say the least, but I would love it if you would review and tell me what you liked, what you didn't like, what I could fix for next time, yada yada yada. I thank you kindly, enjoy!




ChapterPrinter


Harry sighed. It was over… or it was just beginning, depending on your point of view. So where was euphoric feeling he was supposed to have? Where was the sense of accomplishment? Why on the day after defeating the darkest wizard of all time was he sitting alone, feeling miserable? Deep down, Harry knew that a day would come where he would feel alive again, when he would feel like he belonged with all the other survivors of this war, instead of in the other world he almost ended up in. But right now all he could do was sit alone and hide. At least that's how Ginny finally found him, hiding in the astronomy tower.

"Harry finally, I've been looking for you for ages! No one has seen you since... since yesterday. Mum's going spare, she said something about feeding you. I reckon she thinks you haven't eaten in months. Ron and Hermione are looking for you too, and Hagrid was so shaken up, and just about a million people want to thank you..."

"Ginny, breathe, you're rambling… I just need some time before I have to go face everyone. Before I have to listen to them thanking me for saving them, before I have to pretend I'm happy when so many people aren't even buried yet. Before I have to face Teddy and know that I couldn't save him from the same fate as me, that he'll never know his parents, except in photographs and stories. I just need..."

"What you need, is to be down there with the people who love you, who are grieving just as much as you are!" Ginny sat down next to him and put her head on his shoulder. She paused and spoke with watery eyes. "Harry I know its hard, but we have to honor their memories. We have to really live, now more than ever, because… because they can't any more." She was crying softly now and Harry took her hand.

"I'm sorry about Fred," Harry said very softly. "I know it doesn't bring him back, but I was there, and he died with a smile on his face, laughing at a joke Percy made if you can believe it. He died happy." Neither spoke for a few moments until Harry said quietly, "I missed you this year."

"You're a prat you know, right?" Harry looked up in surprise. "For leaving me behind."

"Ah, that…"

"Yes Harry, that." There was a moment's pause.

"You know, I reckon I am?" She looked up quickly and saw his smirk. Torn between the need to hex him for all of the fear and doubt and anxiety he put her through in the last year, and the need to snog him senseless, because he was sitting there next to her alone for the first time since his birthday last year, she managed a very unladylike snort of laughter. This made him laugh as well, and soon they were both laughing rather madly, as only people who have had very little sleep, near death experiences, and feelings of anguish and joy all at once, can. Ginny stopped very suddenly and turned to Harry.

"Harry, do you think it's okay that I'm laughing like this? What with Fred and all? Does it make me… a horrible sister?"

"It doesn't make you a horrible anything. I think it's like you said before, we have to live and be happy for them, for all of them, and if anyone would want you to be smiling and laughing, it would be Fred." Ginny nodded but seemed unsure.

"I thought you were dead last night, Harry. I think my heart actually stopped beating when I saw Hagrid carrying you. It was like every nightmare I've had this past year except I was awake and you were right there in front of me. Lifeless, and small, and… dead." She took a deep breath and continued, "Is it wrong that in time I can get over Fred's death, when I don't think I could live without you?"

"It sounds no worse than me. Why do you think I didn't let you come with us? Do you really think it was because I didn't think you were capable, or that I didn't want you there beside me? It was because I knew I would always choose you over everything else. It was because if you were ever in danger I would put you before me, and before the promises I made. I left you because I loved you. Because I'm in love with you."

"I love you too, Harry."

And with that he leaned in and kissed her very softly on the lips. It was simple and nothing like their frenzied kiss last year in her room, but it was a kiss that held a promise. A promise of many tomorrows and a future rid of fear. It was a kiss… that was yet again interrupted by Ron Weasley.

"Am I ever going to be able to walk into a room and not see you groping my baby sister? By the way, everyone is looking for you, they seem to think you saved the world or something, they want to thank you and all that rot."

"Imagine that," Ginny said wryly.

"Where's Hermione?" questioned Harry, who was craving the chance to give Ron a taste of his own medicine. "I'm surprised you aren't snogging in some broom cupboard."

"Did they finally get together?" said Ginny. "I was beginning to think they'd never figure it out."

"Yeah it only took them being in the middle of a war to get it through their heads, and Hermione, being the brains and all, finally decide to start snogging him right in the middle of everything. It was a bit revolting really."

"Oi, I'm standing right here you know!" exclaimed Ron, whose ears were beet red, although he looked faintly pleased. "Anyways you really should go down there, everyone wants to talk to you. And Andromeda is here, she wants to talk to you. "

"You don't have to go down there yet if you aren't ready yet. We can sit up here awhile longer." Ginny said consolingly, and squeezed his hand.

"Sitting, is that what they're calling it these days?" said a still faintly red Ron.

"You really don't know when to call it quits, do you Ron? Which I might add is completely hypocritical, since I never comment on your love life…"

They continued to bicker and Harry smiled faintly. There would be rocky days ahead of them all, but together they would get through it. Together, they would start to live again.

"You know you guys, I think I'm ready to go downstairs now…"

Reviews 24
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear