Search:

SIYE Time:13:00 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


I Can't Unlove You
By greybackfenrir

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Angst, Fluff, Songfic
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 13
Summary: Harry ponders his decision to break things off with Ginny when he arrives at the Burrow for Bill and Fleur's Wedding.
Hitcount: Story Total: 5363



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
OK, I heard this song the other day on the radio and I just couldn't help myself! : p I know this scene has been over done, but I just felt like this worked for that setting. Mostly just fluff, but who doesn't love fluffy stories? The song is I Can't Unlove You by Kenny Rogers . Also it is the song he performed while on American Idol for all of you who remember or care to know! : ) Enjoy and Please Review!




ChapterPrinter


Postcards and letters
Pictures made to last forever
To be boxed up and tossed away
Nick-Nacks and Souvenirs
In an afternoon their out of here
They disappear without a trace
What they mean to me can never be replaced


Harry sat silently by himself on the floor of his bedroom in Privet Drive, his school trunk open in front of him. Sifting through the inside he brought out a small box which he carried over and poured its contents across his bed before plopping down in front of the small pile.

A small smile tried to form on his lips as he looked at the letters they had passed off to each other in the corridors between classes when they didn't have the time to stop and speak. He felt a tug in his heart at the way she always signed her name in red with a little heart to dot the i in her name. Sighing resolutely to himself he placed these back into the box.

Looking at what was left on the bed made him regret his dumb and noble decision to walk away more than the letters he had kept. A wizard's photo of the two of them leaning beneath a tree next to the Black Lake that was taken by Colin Creevey just after they had returned from Hogsmeade after the Quidditch Final. Ginny and Harry in the picture were holding hands and laughing at Ron who was not in the picture, but behind Colin copying the way he was hopping around snapping the pictures.

Along with the photo was one of her ponytail holders which he had stuck into his pocket during a prolonged snogging session so it wouldn't become lost. He had 'accidentally' forgotten to give it back, but had hung onto it because it held the scent of her, which drove him mad for her. Almost unwillingly Harry placed the photo and ponytail holder back into the box, but placed it back inside his trunk after holding it over his trash bin unable to let go of the box. He took a deep breath before shrinking his trunk to pocket size and apparating away to the Burrow.

I can't unthink about you
I can't unfeel your touch
I can't unhear all the words
Unsay all the things that used to mean so much


Harry steeled himself as he apparated into the gloriously decorated back garden of the Burrow with a soft 'pop' and made his way onto the back porch and knocked softly on the door.

"You made it!" Ron yelled as he flung open the door, pulled Harry inside and pounded him on the back.

"Ron, don't hurt him!" Hermione yelled at Ron from the table where she was sitting with Ginny.

Harry slid into a seat away from Ginny, putting on a false smile, trying to avoid eye contact and stop his eyes, unsuccessfully, from sneaking an unnoticed glance at her around Hermione. He sat and tried to act normally during their conversation and trying to ignore the burning of guilt building in his stomach, managed to break away from the others by feigning sleepiness.

I wish I could unremember
Everything my heart's been through
I'm finding it's impossible to do
Oh, it's no use
I can't unlove you


Harry had fallen into a light doze when a soft voice and knocked sounded outside Ron's bedroom door.

"Harry, dear," Mrs. Weasley called through the door. "It's time for you to get into your dress robes and meet up with the others downstairs."

Harry groaned as he sat up wondering to himself why he even agreed to come for this in the first place. He knew there was going to be no way for him not to notice Ginny out there in front of everyone even if he was allowed to hide himself away in the back of the crowd, which the Weasleys would be sure he was seated with the rest of the family in the front. He crawled from the bed and made his way over to robes Mrs. Weasley had picked up for him two days ago.

To Harry's surprise, as he pulled them from the bag, she had selected a dark shade of royal blue. Once in them he thought that they complimented him very well even though, as usual, his hair wouldn't lie flat even if he charmed it. Harry left Ron's room with his head down and made his way into the crowd where he tried to mingle in an out-of-the-way manner as to not gather too much attention to himself.

In this dance of old songs
Like time they go on and on
I guess I could learn to do the same
I could wake up without you
These two arms not around you
Tell myself it's meant to be this way
No matter how I try
Some things I can't change


Harry made it through the service without staring at Ginny for too long in the dress that Fleur had picked out . Though all he wanted to do was run up to the front of the service and plead his ignorance to her. He had found a table back away from the main crowd that circled around the dance floor watching the newly married couple start their first dance together as husband and wife.

He watched as Ron and Hermione joined in followed by Mr. and Mrs. Weasley as the band continued playing an older Muggle song Harry couldn't recognize right away. Just staring into the crowd he finally spotted Ginny dancing with her brother Charlie and laughing at something he had just said. His head sank as he saw that their break up didn't seem to have the same effect on her that it was having on him.

Harry stood and made his way onto the porch, he felt a small hand grab him around the arm. Turning and fully expecting to see Hermione scowling at him for trying to sneak away, but instead he came face to face with Ginny.

"Trying to disappear without giving me at least one dance, Harry?" She asked her own sadness showing in her eyes.

"No, I was just...er...looking for more butterbeer." He lied unconvincingly.

"Well, considering the butterbeer is over there and not inside I'd say you were headed in the wrong direction." She replied pointing to the other side of the garden.

Harry nodded and with a small smile. Ginny pulled him out onto the dance floor as the band started up another slow song. Slipping his arms around her waist he pulled her close. When she put her arms around his, he let her draw his head down into the crook of her neck where he inhaled her flowery scent.

"Ginny, I can't-"

"Let your heart think for just this one time, Harry, and not your nobility." She whispered.

Harry let her lead him through the entire song, but when the band started up with a faster paced number they continued to sway together at the edge of the dancefloor, listening to nothing but their own breathing and heartbeats count away what may be the last they would ever see of each other.

I can't unthink about you
I can't unfeel your touch
I can't unhear all the words
Unsay all the things that used to mean so much


Harry stopped dancing and took a step back away from Ginny, but keeping his hands on her waist he stared down into into her chocolate brown eyes.

"Gin, I can't unlove you!" He blurted out, his face blushing red at admitting his true feelings, before he could stop himself.

"Harry, I can't unlove you either." She replied softly her own blush showing through her make-up that had been applied for the wedding.

The first true smile in two months sprang onto Harry's face as if he had been hit with the world's largest Cheering Charm. Ginny loved him! His heart burst with excitement at now having everything out in the open with her. Slowly he leaned forward and captured her lips in his; her arms going back around his neck as he drew her back into his arms and as close to him as possible. The world around them faded and it was just them sharing a moment of devotion to each other where there was no quest for Horcruxes or Voldemort hanging over their heads.

I wish I could unremember
Everything my heart's been through
I'm finding it's impossible to do
It's no use
I can't unlove you
Reviews 13
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear