Search:

SIYE Time:6:01 on 16th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Underneath It All
By PatronyBologna

- Text Size +

Category: Summer Jobs Challenge (2006-4)
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley
Genres: General
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 13
Summary: Things are never what they seem. Somewhere, underneath it all, lies the truth. Getting there is the hard part.
Hitcount: Story Total: 4544



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
Directly after HBP, follows canon (for the most part).
This is probably way off the mark for this challenge, but there you have it. There's too much of this, and not enough of that. I think I took the road too long and smelled too many 'roses' along the way.


References:

Mandy Brocklehurst, SS, US Edition, chapter 7, page 119.
Locket, OotP, chapter 6, page 116 and HBP chapter 20, page 437.
'Bait' HBP, chapter 30, page 646.




ChapterPrinter


Underneath It All




Click, click, click… Click, click, click.

It was the only sound to be heard in the wood paneled, plainly decorated waiting room. Even though there was plenty of reading material to be had; the coffee table offered a week and a half’s worth of The Daily Prophet editions and three months of Witch Weekly issues, one of which had Viktor Krum as the cover story, she would have none of it. Her eyes, like her knee, nervously bounced back and forth between the side door leading to the back and the receptionist desk just beyond a pane of glass that was littered with so many notices, regulations, and requirements that only a tuff of the witches graying hair could be seen through it.

Then finally it happened. The door swung forward and a lanky form shuffled through. With his eyes diverted to the floor, the seventeen year old red-head gave nothing away.

“Ron?” An eager Hermione pushed up from the rickety, spindled chair and gingerly approached him; the top of her head barely met his slumped shoulders.

He loosely reached around her waist as her eyes searched upward, trying to read his. “Ron?”

She was met again with no response, verbal or otherwise. “Oh Ron, it doesn’t… Aaahhh!”

“And you thought I’d fail?” Ron said incredulously, slowly setting her back down after a few spins. “How bad do you think I am, anyway?”

“I don’t think that-“ Hermione started to back pedal.

“You?” He laughed, “Don’t think?”

“I mean I just-“

“You just what?” Ron still held her close, clearly enjoying the fact that he had momentarily gotten the better of her.

There was an annoyed cough from behind the glass.

“Don’t be a prat.” She whispered with a smile and playfully pushed herself away. “Have you seen Harry?”

“No, he went with another examiner.” Ron shrugged and followed Hermione back to the row of chairs that lined the wall.

“It shouldn’t be long then.” The chair clicked as she settled back in.

“Honestly, I had my doubts.” Ron admitted, slouching into the chair next to her. “I know how important this is, you know, if I failed I’d slow-”

“But you didn’t.” Hermione took his hand in hers. “I knew you wouldn’t.” She said with a squeeze. “You were so close last time.”

“That’s not what it looked like a minute ago.” He mocked with an unusual spark in his eye.

“Oh, just wait.” She teased, “You’ll have yours.”

“Sure I will.” He squeezed back, believing it to be an idle threat.

The door swung forward again, prompting Ron and Hermione to let go of each other’s hand. A very serious looking Harry purposely walked through, folding his Apparition certificate as he did so. “Ready?”

“Ready.” Ron answered back, he and Hermione filed in behind him and into the empty elevator, except for the usual flock of internal ministry mail, at the end of the hall without another word.

It wasn’t until they had reached the Department for the Detection and Confiscation of Counterfeit Defensive Spells and Protective Objects, where Mr. Weasley’s new office was, that Harry spoke again. “Can we be quick?”

“Yeah, Dad won’t mind.” Ron answered and tapped the door with the back of his hand.

“It’s open.” Mr. Weasley’s called out over a mountain range of paperwork and mish-mashed trinkets lying here and there amid the parchment.

“Hey, Dad.”

“Mr. Weasley.” Both Harry and Hermione echoed.

The patriarch of the Weasley family set down his quill, spun his seat around, and leaned back into his chair. “Well?” He said expectantly, pulling off his horn-rimmed glasses and resting his elbows on the curved arms of the chair.

“Passed.” Ron shrugged off the accomplishment as his dad smiled with measured pride.

“We’re all official.” Hermione said, putting a hand on Harry’s shoulder.

“And of age.” Mr. Weasley said knowingly.

“We can’t stay long.” Ron piped up.

“Just be sure to be home later this evening.” From the tension brought in by the three of them, especially Harry, Mr. Weasley understood his discomfort. “Molly has a little something for you, being your birthday and all, Harry. If you don’t, she just might hunt you down and you know there’s no stopping her.”

For the first time that day, Harry smiled. “I wouldn’t miss it.”

“Good.”

“Later, Dad.” Ron nodded.

“See you later, Mr. Weasley.” Hermione smiled and followed closely behind Ron.

“Harry?” Mr. Weasley said, suddenly getting up out of his chair.

“Just a minute.” Harry waived off Ron and Hermione, both taking their cue and shutting the door behind him.

There was a thick moment of silence between the two, and Harry knew what was coming.

“The wedding is in eight days.” It was a loaded statement.

“I know.” Unfazed by the implications hidden beneath such a statement, Harry blinked.

Mr. Weasley met his eyes with pleading sincerity. “Just give us that.”

Harry hesitated for a moment, the thought of Ron telling his Dad about their plans, flashed in and quickly out of his mind. He knew Ron better than that.

“You know we consider you as one of our own, Harry, and even though parents aren’t usually skilled at Legillimency, they do know their children.” Mr. Weasley paused again as if he was deciding what to say, though his eyes never left Harry’s.

“Mr. Weasley,” Harry started, “I can’t-“

“Just know that we love all of you.” Mr. Weasley raised his hand to stop him, “And we trust you.”

“Does she?” He asked tentatively, imagining Mrs. Weasley grasping at her chest with one hand and her clock in the other, wrecked with anxiety over what she suspected him, Hermione, and her son Ron, of doing.

For a second, Mr. Weasley stumbled on the open-ended question.

“Mrs. Weasley?” Harry clarified, though the fact that he had to, told him Mr. Weasley was, if not by the way of Mrs. Weasley, in tune with their daughter as well.

“She’s a mother, of course nothing gets by her, but she wouldn’t let you know it.” Mr. Weasley chuckled, “I wouldn’t be surprised if she, well…” He mumbled something else under his breath and turned back to his desk, shaking his head and replacing his glasses.

With the conversation at an end, Harry reached for the cool iron of the door knob. “Better not keep them waiting too long.”

“Try to have a happy birthday, Harry.” Mr. Weasley settled back down into his paperwork.

“Ginny’s birthday, but I can’t promise.” Harry pulled the door open, catching Mr. Weasley’s acknowledgement before he slipped through.





The trio had Apparated just inside the grounds of the Burrow where they could talk in the privacy of the shade trees by the pond.

“Happy birthday, Harry.” Hermione settled down beside a trunk by the waters edge, unbuckling her sandals.

“Yeah, for what it’s worth, happy birthday, mate.” Ron took a seat next to Hermione and unlaced his trainers as well.

“Thanks.” Harry sighed as he slid his back down the side of a nearby tree, finally resting on an exposed root at the base of it. “Sorry about that, back at the Ministry.”

“About what?” Ron smiled, “I wouldn’t want to stay a moment longer, either.”

“I’m just...” Harry too pried off his trainers; both Ron and Hermione were already dangling their legs in the tepid, shallow water of the pond.

“Did anything happen earlier this morning?” Hermione asked, she could tell that he was in the middle of something, “At your aunt and uncles house?”

“Nope, nothing.”

“You don’t feel any different?” She asked, wiggling her toes in the water.

“Nuh-uh. He knows I’m unprotected now.” Harry joined his friends, taking the spot on the other side of Hermione.

“So you’re a bigger walking target.” Ron splashed, “We’re used to it.”

“Thanks a lot.” Harry splashed back, getting more of Hermione, then Ron.

“Have you thought of what you’d like to do today?” Hermione nudged him.

“Just think, Harry. You can do anything you want, anything.” Ron said lazily, lying back into the gentle bank and folding his arms underneath his head to cradle it. “So what’s it going to be? You only turn of age once, you know, better not waste it.”

“I have no idea.” He answered pathetically. “I can’t stop thinking about what I need to do.” Hermione cleared her throat, “What we need to do, before we go.” Harry finished, correcting himself.

“When are we leaving?” Ron tried to ask causally, all three were quite aware of the danger they would putting themselves in and the prospect of returning whole and unharmed, bleak.

“I told your Dad, in no uncertain terms, that it would be after Ginny’s birthday.”

“You told Dad?” Ron bolted upright, squinting at the sudden burst of mid-morning sun. “What? Why’d you do that for?”

“I didn’t, exactly.” Harry shrugged, “He just knew, and so does your Mum.”

“I didn’t tell him.” Ron continued, looking towards Hermione for support. “We haven’t breathed a word of it, not a word.”

“It’s okay. That’s what he told me in his office.” Harry pulled his jeans up to his knees, letting more of his legs sink into the water. “I don’t think he wanted you to know that they know… but they don’t know exactly.”

“Oh, that explains it.” Ron mumbled, flipping a pebble into the water in frustration. “Why does he tell you and not me?”

“Ron, I’m sure your dad just didn’t want to make things harder than they are.” Hermione tried to bring him some insight. “This way it’ll be easier when we leave, if that’s possible. It won’t be such a surprise.”

“You can still change your minds.” Harry offered them yet another out, knowing full well that they wouldn't take it.

“Nah, I didn’t sign up for one of those summer jobs Mum wanted me to, so I have nothing else better to do.” Ron smirked, his stomach growling. “After Ginny’s birthday it is, that still leaves today wide open.”

“He doesn’t have to decide right now, Ron.” Hermione rolled her eyes as Ron’s stomach gave another loud grumble. She knew Ron had skipped breakfast that morning in a feeble attempt to lighten his load before Apparating. “But let’s get you something to eat.”

“It can wait.” Ron brushed it off.

“Oh, go ahead.” Harry shrugged, “I’d like some time, if that’s okay?”

“Sure.” Hermione was first on her feet and quick to pull Ron to his. “You want lunch? We could bring you something later.”

“I’ll be up in awhile, thanks though.” Harry gave a short smile, trying to dissolve the worried look on Ron’s face. “I’m okay, really.”

“We’ll see you in a bit, then.” Hermione handed Ron is trainers with his socks stashed inside them, scooped up her sandals by the heel straps and headed off towards overgrown path to the Burrow with a bewildered Ron in tow.

“Later.” Harry smiled, and then returned his gaze to the shadows on opposite end of the pond.



He had been up all night, not sure if the blood protection his aunts’ home gave him would have a sudden or dramatic effect when he reached legal age. Every second after midnight seemed to take an eternity, and listening to the echoing, completely unconcerned snores coming from Dudley’s and Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia’s room, it was hard to listen for possible intruders or the quiet 'pop’ of someone Apparating. Even though Order members were stationed outside, providing an ever-watchful eye, he remained on edge. He only felt somewhat relieved when Lupin arrived at the agreed time to take him to meet Ron and Hermione at the Apparation Licensing Department of Ministry of Magic.

There was no ceremony, no good-byes, no 'come in for a visit', from the Dursleys, not that he was expecting it. Dudley, the lump of a man he was growing into, Harry assumed was having his usual lie in and was nowhere to be seen. Uncle Vernon sat in his chair in the parlor, hiding behind his morning paper, trying to pretend that nothing of any consequence was happening. But the quiet, jovial tune he was humming gave him away as he rustled the page to straighten it out. Aunt Petunia, in her apron between the kitchen and parlor, stood with her arms folded. Closed off and cold. But Harry thought for an instant, on his last look at number four, Privet Drive, that he saw fear in her heavy eyes. Whether it was for him or herself, he wasn't sure. Afterall, he did not need to tell her who Voldemort was and what the death of Dumbledore meant. There was more to Aunt Petunia and somehow knew that he would be back before his journey was over; just when or exactly why, he wasn't sure.

Not that the Burrow was completely safe by any means; it did offer the some security, comfort, and much needed rest. Taking a measured chance, he laid back against the bank, as Ron had done earlier, and let his eyes finally close; the gentle lap of the pond and the sound of the summer breeze as it moved through the trees and tall grass, lulled him into guarded sleep.

He could tell from the glowing orb inside his eyelids, that it was just passed noon. Not quite wanting to head up to the house yet, knowing that she would be there, he pulled his now pruned legs out of the water and tried to think of what he would say, what she might say, when he saw her. She had stayed in his thoughts since Dumbledore’s funeral, but now that he was finally here, it put a new sense of urgency to the matter, to which he still didn’t have an answer for.

His attention was caught by the snap of a twig and a rustle of the grass along the path. His first instinct was to grab his wand, but a flash of the long, crimson hair he had become so familiar with, steadied his hand. She was barefoot, dressed in only her swimsuit and a pair of khaki shorts. She was beautiful. With his heart in his throat, he quietly eased himself further up the side for the bank and next to the tree root where he left his trainers.

Apparently, she had not seen him, and at this point, he wasn’t sure if he wanted to be seen. Harry couldn’t help but watch as she slid off her shorts and teetered on the ledge of the dock as if she was waiting for something. Then in a blink, she was gone.


Taking the opportunity for a quick getaway, Harry made his way further up the bank and around to the path leading back to the house.

“Harry?” Whether or not he was ready, Ginny was. He didn’t want to turn around. “Harry, wait a minute?”

He could hear her swimming closer. Knowing that it would have been easier to just keep going, he turned around and walked down to the end of the dock. Ginny was trying to pull herself up out of the water.

“I don’t know why Dad never built a ladder.” She rolled her eyes, hanging onto the edge with one hand and brushing way the wet stands of hair that had stuck to the side of her face, “It would make this so much easier.”

“Really?” The words just popped out of his mouth, “I don’t remember it being that hard before.”

“Thanks.” Ginny mumbled, then tried and failed again, to pull herself out of the water. “A little help, please?”

“What?”

“Your hand?” She reached out of the water towards him.

“Oh, yeah, sure.” He could have smacked himself as he crouched down next to her, setting his socks and trainers down and offering his hand. “On three?”

“Whatever.” She sighed, grasping tightly just above his wrist.

Harry pretended that it didn’t matter; that she was there, hanging onto him. His heart had moved again and he thought that Ginny could hear every pounding beat inside his chest. The creature was alive and well.

“One, two…”

That was all the further he got. The next thing he knew, Harry was under the water. In an instant of clarity, he understood. He let the coolness of water calm him as he pushed himself deeper into the pond, holding steady until the moment he would have to surface.

He could see the bottom portion of Ginny; half treading water, half swimming towards the center of the pond, looking in each direction for him. Before he could think the better of it, he swam just underneath and to the side of her and gave her leg a quick, downward pull. He continued to drag her under the water until they were face to face, keeping one arm around her waist and using the other to keep them submerged.

With a sad smile, she looked back at him through the semi-translucent water; their eyes connecting for the first time since the funeral. Joining in his effort to keep them beneath the surface, even for just a moment longer; Ginny pushed the water upwards, the movement swirled her hair around and above them. It was surreal.

Unwillingly giving in to the need for air, Harry gently stopped her arm and cupped his hand to the side of her face, pulling her close as he lightly pushed off the bottom of the pond, slowly floating towards the rest of the world that waited just above them.

Still holding onto one another, they broke the surface and gasped for air. Harry could feel the warmth of her breath on his face and drank it in while he had the chance, their legs working together to keep them afloat. It took a minute to slow his breathing, but Ginny was still gasping.

“Ginny?” He spluttered, “Are you alright?”

“I’m sorry.” She said between quick breaths, breaking free from his hold and heading back to the dock. “I shouldn’t have.”

“Gin?” This time it was Harry who reached out for her hand. He had just missed her fingertips, but nevertheless tried again, lurching through the water. “Wait.”

Holding onto the side, Ginny didn’t face him. Her gasps came at irregular intervals, trying to get her breathing under control.

“Gin, what’s wrong?” There was seriousness in his voice.

“I’m sorry.” She said faintly, this time she really was trying to push herself up onto the dock and couldn’t do it.

With his concern for her growing with each second, he got up out of the water and lifted her up out of it; kneeling down beside her as she lay against the sun-bleached planks.

“Ginny, you’re scaring me.” Harry wiped her eyes clear of water, hoping that she would look at him back up at him.

“I’m sorry.” She gasped again, turning away.

“Are you hurt?” He asked, looking her over for any obvious signs of an injury. “Did I hurt you?”

Ginny shook her head no.

“I’m taking you back to the house.”

“I’m fine.” Forcing herself to take long, deep breaths, “Just stay here with me for a minute.”

“I wasn’t planning on leaving just yet.” Harry wiped what he now knew were tears from her eyes and realized the cruel irony of his own words.

He gave her all the time she needed, not once moving from her side. He summoned his glasses out of the pond and put a cushioning charm on the dock. Harry neglected to dry his clothes; the warmth of the sun was doing the job already.

“I didn’t know you were down here.” Ginny started quietly. “I knew that you were coming today, but when I saw Ron and Hermione in the kitchen with Mum, I assumed that you weren’t here yet.” Ginny pulled herself up, leaning back on her arms, careful not to look directly at him.

“I came down here because I couldn’t wait in the house any longer. Wondering when I’d hear your voice, trying to figure out what I would say when I finally saw you again.”

“I did come back with Ron and Hermione, but stayed here at the pond for the same reasons.”

Ginny blinked, causing a single tear to fall, although she never actually cried. “I just wanted to get away for a minute. I’ve been coming down here a lot lately so I can clear my head, to think things through, makes sense of it all.”

Harry kept silent, watching her intently.

“When I saw you on your way back, I got this crazy idea.” She briefly smiled at his matted, damp hair and splotchy t-shirt. “I thought that if you were to, uh… go for a swim, that it wouldn’t make it so…”

“Hard.” He finished for her with half a smile.

“It was stupid, I know.”

“It wasn’t.”

“I was starting to worry when you didn’t pop back up and get after me for pulling you in.” Ginny spoke a little faster as she went, like if she stopped she wouldn’t get it all out. “It would be easier, us- this- if we could pretend, forget that… And then under the water, I… you and me- under the water… I couldn’t help it. I panicked.”

“I kept you down too long, didn’t I? I thought you were okay- I thought that-“

“No, Harry.” Ginny whispered, now sitting fully upright with her arms wrapped around her knees. She kept her eyes on the water ahead of her, watching the sunlight dance on the surface, wanted to be below it again. “I panicked because I didn’t know if I could do it anymore. I didn’t want to do it anymore.”

“Do what?”

“Let you go.” Ginny went straight to the heart of the matter. “I’ve spent this last month telling myself every minute of everyday that I had to be strong. That I couldn’t fall apart when you were around, that I wouldn’t let you know how much it hurts.”

“Gin-“

“I didn’t want to breathe, Harry. Down there it was just us. No Voldemort, no ‘saving-the-world’ and noble causes, no secrets… just us.” Ginny shifted uncomfortably, embarrassed by what she was about to confess. “When we made it back- we were so close- I wanted to- I thought that you- I’m sorry.”


“No, I’m sorry.” Harry hung his head and looked away. She was right, he did want to kiss her, to tell her that he loved her still; it wasn’t fair to her.

“I’m sorry.” He muttered again, it was his turn to confess. “I don’t want to hurt you. I don’t want it to hurt. I don’t want to make you feel like this is your fault. It’s not. You were right, under the water it was just us. It wasn’t you, Gin, it was me.”

Ginny’s shoulders fell; like the weight had been lifted by what he had said.

“I still stand by what I said that day.” Harry continued, “I don’t want that to be you. I don’t want him to know.”

“I know, I know- I understand.” Ginny said, her eyes now finding his. “But did you ever stop to think that maybe it doesn’t matter anymore. Everyone saw us together at school. Nobody knows what happened between us. Do you think that I’m off the hook because you’ve broken up with me? He won’t care either way. You said it yourself, he used me as bait before, and he’ll do it again whether you still have feelings for me or not.”

“Ginny, you can’t come with me.”

“Ron and Hermione are.” She argued back.

“They’re different.” Harry took a second, realizing what she had just said and chalked it up to a woman’s intuition, she has a knack for knowing more than she should and just what to say.

“I’m no different, Harry.” Ginny was determined. “Let me help, give me something to do. You can’t expect me to sit here, not knowing whether or not- I need a job.”

“I can’t tell you what you would need to know.” Harry resisted her offer. “It’s too dangerous… I promised-”

“You don’t have to. I can help in other ways, I’m resourceful.” Ginny said with a smirk, “You’re forgetting that I grew up with a house full of brothers.”

“I don’t want you to get hurt.”

“Nobody’s safe.”

“Promise me you won’t go looking for trouble.” Harry could tell that this was a losing battle. “Promise me that you won’t put yourself in danger, and if it finds you, run- getaway- do whatever it takes, just don’t-”

“I promise.” Ginny crossed her heart.

“And that you will do as I ask?” Harry added sternly, remembering one of Dumbledore’s requests for keeping him safe. “No matter what it is?”

“Who do you think you are, anyway?” Ginny mocked, getting up off the dock. “You’re certainly not my Dad, definitely not my Mum, and not even close to being one of my brothers, but it’s not like I do what those idiots tell me to anyway.”

Harry was on his feet and tried his best to tower over her. “Ginny?”

“Harry.” She shot back, pulling on her shorts, completely unintimidated.

“Ginny?” Harry asked again, his patience wearing thin.

Ginny picked up his trainers and headed for the path at the end of the dock. “Let’s get some lunch.”

“Ginny!” He jogged up alongside her. “I need to hear you say it.”

“Oh, I almost forgot.” She suddenly stopped, turned and planted him with a playful kiss on the cheek. “Happy Birthday.”





Ron and Hermione sat at the end of the dinner table playing chess while he and Ginny ate. It was only after his third roast beef sandwich that Mrs. Weasley had stopped fussing over him and returned to fussing with the wedding details that were spread out over the rest of the table.

“Ron, dear?” She asked, rifling through one of the many stacks of parchment on the table.

“Yes, Mum?” Ron answered in between explanations to Hermione on how best to take his knight and why it was worth sacrificing her rook for it.

“I have some errands for you, if you wouldn’t mind.” Finding the list that she needed, Mrs. Weasley straightened up to look it over, making adjustments here and there.

“Sure, Mum.” He answered.

“I would ask Fred and George to pick them up, but they won’t be in until later this evening and I don’t have time to run to Diagon Alley this afternoon.” Mrs. Weasley folded the parchment in half, slipped in a galleon and a knut she pulled from her apron and handed it to her son.

“No problem.” Ron smiled and pocketed the list. “We’ll leave in just a minute.”

“Mum, can I go?” Ginny piped, not wanting to miss out on an opportunity to leave the Burrow, especially when she knew Fleur was going to be around.

“It’s fine by me as long as you stick with your brother, but the decision is his to make.” Mrs. Weasley resumed her fidgeting.

Ron looked to Harry first, not sure how to answer Ginny. “I uh… um… “

“Please?” Ginny asked again, adding particularly to Harry, “I’ll do whatever you say.”

With a quick nod, Harry gave his answer to Ron who replied. “Sure. We’ll need to go by Floo then.”

“No, we don’t have to.” Harry finished the last of his pumpkin juice. “I can take her, if that’s all right, Mrs. Weasley?”

“Harry, you just got your license this morning, dear.” Mrs. Weasley was surprised by his offer.

“I’ve done it before.” He admitted; it was too painful to mention with whom. “It’s not a problem.”

“Are you sure?” Mrs. Weasley asked, weary of the situation.

“He can do it, Mum.” Ginny added. “We’ll be alright.”

After a long pause and many glances between Harry and Ginny, Mrs. Weasley gave her approval. “Just be careful.”

“I will.” Harry nodded.

“Thanks, Mum.” Ginny bounced up off her seat and darted up stairs to change. “I’ll be right down.”





“Just hold on tight and close your eyes.” Harry whispered into her ear as he curled her hand around his upper arm. “It feels like you’re being squeezed really hard, like you can’t breathe, but it’ll stop soon. Whatever you do, don’t let go.”

“Never.” She nervously smiled.

“We can go by Floo, if you want to?” Harry asked, just in case she changed her mind.

“Let’s go.” Ginny squeezed tighter onto his arm. “I’m ready.”

“See you there.” Harry said to Ron and Hermione.

“See you there.” Ron nodded.

Two cracks later, Harry and Ginny were the only ones left in the yard, a moment after that, it was empty.




“That was fun.” Ginny sarcastically said, rolling her shoulders back and shaking her head. “I see what you mean.”

“Alright, first stop,” Ron took out the list his mother had given him, “Eeylops Owl Emporium.”

“What for?” Harry asked

“Errol’s been sick lately.” Ginny replied, “Mums been giving him a potion to help him feel better, she’s probably out.”

“What else is there?” Hermione asked, peering over the list.

“Uh, Flourish and Blotts, Madam Malkins, I could use your help with those.” Ron answered.

“I’d like to go to Gringotts first, if that’s okay.” Harry added, “I won’t be long.”

“Gringotts it is.” Ron tucked the list back into his pocket.

They weaved their way through Diagon Alley, stopping periodically at various street stands selling their wares to what passer-bys there were. The entered the cool stone façade of Gringotts bank and headed for the admissions desk just before the main office.

“Excuse me?” Harry asked the young witch behind the desk, she was bent over in her chair, fishing out a file from underneath it, completely unaware of their presence.

“Just a minute.” Her sing-song reply bubbled up; she was still bent over.

“Can I help you?” She asked before for she recognized who was talking to.

“I need to access my vault.” Harry said. “Usually I see Griphook.”

“Okay… uh,” She pulled out another file with a stack of papers, “Name?”

“Harry Potter.” He could hear Ginny chuckle behind him.

“Oh!” She looked up from her paperwork, “I’m so sorry, Harry. I didn’t realize it was you.”

“Mandy? Mandy Brocklehurst?” Ginny slid around Harry. “Hi, how are you?”

“Fine thanks.” Mandy smiled, she seemed grateful that someone remembered her. Mandy was always the girl in the background, seen but not noticed.

“You’re in Ravenclaw, aren’t you?” Ginny continued pleasantly, “I’ve seen you at Luna’s table.”

“Yeah, that’s me.” She blushed, “Harry, what can I do for you today?”

“I need to access my vault. I usually see one of the goblins for that.”

“Oh, of course, I already asked you that didn’t I? I’m supposed to give you this,” She tore off the perforated tab at the bottom. “Number 54, they can help you down at…” She checked a box lit up with different colored lights and numbers, “Station B.”

“Thanks, I’ll be right back.” Harry took the number, and headed to the main lobby.

“What are you doing here?” Hermione asked, “I didn’t know students were allowed to work here.”

“Its part of the summer job program, Professor Flitwick set it up for me. I’m supposed to greet customers and direct them to where they need to go and keep track of little things like that.”

“That sounds interesting.” Hermione said, “Do you like it?”

“Yes, I do.” Mandy beamed, “I didn’t think I would at first, I’m usually pretty shy, but I really have been enjoying it.”

“How long have you been here?” Ron asked, “Our brother and his fiancée work here too. Do you know them? Bill Weasley?”

“I don’t know anybody except for my mentor.” Mandy shrugged, “I’m not allowed to be back with the goblins, or the money, or anything with any real importance. But I do get paid for my time. The goblins opened up a small account in my name and a knut is deposited for every day I work, that will gain interest the longer I leave it in.”

“It sounds like a great start.” Ginny smiled.

“Yeah, and if I do a good job, take the required classes, and keep my grades up, I can apply for an internship after graduation.”

“That’s wonderful.” Hermione was impressed with her dedication and planning.

“Thanks.” Mandy was flattered by the compliment. “But I need to get back to work. There’s a waiting area just through those doors, I’ll be sure to send Harry there when he’s done.”

“No problem, it was nice talking with you. Enjoy the rest of your summer.” Ginny waived goodbye and held the door for Hermione and Ron.





Twenty minutes later, all four were back in Diagon Alley and starting on the list Mrs. Weasley had given Ron.


“Flourish and Blotts, its two stores down.” Ron checked the list again. “Mum needs some sort of book or something.”

“I can help with that.” Hermione offered, “I know just where to look.”

“Harry, I’d like to peek in the junk shop, if that’s okay.” Ginny asked. “Sometimes they have interesting stuff and I'm out of ideas for Bill and Fleurs wedding gift.”

“Do you two mind?” Harry consulted Ron and Hermione.

“We got it.” Ron waived the note and then checked Hermione’s wrist watch. “How about we meet back at here in ten minutes?”

“Is your watch broke?” Hermione asked, glancing down at the thin gold chain leading down into his right jean pocket.

“No, I just can’t read it yet.” Ron shrugged.

“Then why do you wear it?” Ginny giggled.

“I don’t know, I guess because I like it.” He pulled it out of his pocket and checked the odd planetary dial and equally confusing hands, then clicked it shut again. “I’ll figure it out. Ten minutes from now?”

“Okay.” Harry made note of the time. “Ten minutes.”






After getting yelled at by a ladies enchanted, silver-plated hand mirror, which apparently didn’t like to have members of the opposite sex gazing into it, Harry checked the time.


“Ready?” He circled back down to the front display case where Ginny had her nose plastered up against it. “What are you looking at?”

“Oh, its nothing.” She stood back up, “Just a whole lot of stuff.”

Harry slid the sign that read “Knut For Your Loot” and looked through the glass to get a better look at what seemed to be a mess of odds and ends; mostly ornate buttons, tarnished silver wand cases and snuff boxes, old bent coins, broken bits of jewelry and the like.

“Yeah, it’s a whole lot of stuff, alright. Come on, they’ll be waiting for us if we don’t leave now.”

“Thanks for letting me look.” Ginny slid past Harry who was holding the door for her as they headed back out into the alley.

“You’re welcome.” Harry glanced over to the boarded up windows of Ollivanders and wondered what had happened to him. He still had questions that needed to be answered.

“Sad, isn’t it?” Ginny said, realizing what he was looking at. “I hope he’s okay.”

“Me too.” Harry had a feeling that he wasn’t.









“Ginny and I can go to Madam Malkins and pick up your Mum’s order while you and Harry and get Errol’s potion.” Hermione reasoned, taking one last look at the list. “They’re right across the street, so we won’t be far apart and then we’ll be finished with the list.”

Harry mulled over the suggestion, “We’ll walk you there and we’ll meet you inside when we’re done.”

“Whatever you say.” Ginny smirked.

After dropping off the girls, Harry and Ron headed over to Eeylops across the street. The rusted bells above the door jamb warned the shopkeeper of their arrival. Harry thought it was rather redundant, since the screech and tawny owls were doing a perfectly good job of it on their own.

“I’m glad Pig’s settled down a bit.” Ron poked his finger in a cage full of small, grey-speckled owls before continuing down the crowded aisle. “I think the potions are against the back wall.”

“Ahh! That smell is enough to melt your wand!” Someone yelled from across the aisles of the shop.

“Get in there, boy, it won’t kill you!” An older mans voice barked, “Clean it up!”

“No way.” The younger voice returned.

Both Ron and Harry were trying to ignore the argument, but it just so happened that it ran into them.

“Umphf!” Ron took the brunt of it.

“Slow down, Mate!” Ron reached out to help who ever it was that ran into him, up off the floor.

“Sorry, thanks.” He brushed himself off, his pant legs were covered in feathers and owl droppings. “That guy’s a slave driver.

“You’re fired!” The older man yelled; it was followed by a loud crash.

“Well I quit!” He hollered back.

“Ernie!” said Harry and Ron.

“Oh, hi!” Ernie tried to clean off his hands before offering it to Ron and Harry. “Sorry you had to hear that.”

“Don’t worry about it, we're here for some potion.” Ron tried to ignore what just happened.

“Against the back wall, two aisles over.” Ernie turned and gave the general direction.

“Summer job program?” Ron asked, after seeing Mandy, he wasn’t surprised by meeting his fellow students in Diagon Alley.

“Yeah, great program it is, too!” Ernie was sure to exaggerate the last bit, his temper just below the surface of his usually mild-mannered, likeable behavior. “I applied for Slugs and Jiggers Apothecary, but there was a mix-up somehow and this was all that was left. I was supposed to earn points for potions class; that was the whole point in taking a summer job.”

“You could get credit for potions?” Harry asked.

“Yeah, Professor Slughorn said it would give me a head start on seventh year classes and that he knew someone that would help me out.” Ernie took out his wand, finally giving up on brushing off the mess, and cast the scourgify spell to finish the job. “Instead I get to scrap off owl crap by hand. Apparently, the old coot doesn’t believe in using magic to do it."

“It scares the owls.” Ernie growled, imitating his recently former boss. “I’ve put up it for two weeks now.”

“What happens now that you’ve quit?” Harry asked.

“Don’t know, don’t care.” Ernie scooted past the two, “It’s not worth it. Anyway, I’ll see you later. I’ve had enough of this place.”

“See ya.” Ron said just before Ernie made it to the door. “I wonder who else we’ll run into today.”

“If it’s just Hogwarts students, I’m okay with that.” Harry picked up a large bag of owl treats for Hedwig, grabbed the potion and headed for the counter.

“No kidding.” Ron grunted.






“Does she really want gold and cream dress robes for her wedding party? If I may, I’d suggest Whispered Nothings, it’s a sheer pink color, or there is a new Shimmering Starlight Lilac material that would be perfect for an outdoor garden wedding. I’ve helped six other summer brides choose their colors in the four days I’ve been working here.”

“No, really, we just need the fabric samples my Mum ordered.” Ginny sighed, trying to get Lavender to stop with all the suggestions. “Five colors; cream, gold, blue, sliver, and yellow.”

“You’re a bridesmaid, right Ginny?” Lavender flipped through a fabric swatch chart she grabbed off the table and held it up to her in the mirror. “Look at this yellow, see how it has bronze flecks woven in, it would go so much better with your complexion… Well, as best as any creamy yellow would, green is more your color… but see how this one washes you out? I just have an eye for these things.”

“Lavender, I don’t think that Ginny has a choice in the matter.” Hermione gave it a shot, which was promptly ignored. She knew Lavender was still upset with her for being friends with Ron, however silly it was.

“Oh, no.” Ron whispered behind a tall rack of formal cloaks. “I’m not going any further.”

The two had stopped the moment Ron recognized the voice. “You get the girls.”

“Look, if I have to trudge through the foofy, frilly girl department, then so do you.” Harry cringed at the prospect, but was putting up a good front. It could be worse he thought, at least it wasn’t crammed full of knickers.

“You’re a lot of help.” Ron mumbled and stepped out from his hiding place.

“Ginny, you would look best in this iridescent emerald green.” Lavender grabbed her by the shoulders and directed her onto the pedestal in front of a large three-way mirror and shoved a dress robe over her head. “Look! See how it accents your hair! And when you turn…” Lavender rotated Ginny around, “See the crimson highlights, the blues!”

“Harry!” Ginny ripped the robe off of her head. “Good, you’re back!”

“Can we have the ordered samples please?” Hermione asked again, now that Lavender was frozen stock-still at the sight of Ron standing in front of her. The only thing that moved was the bright yellow measuring tape draped around her neck.

“Just a second, I’ll wrap them up for you.” Lavender disappeared into the back.

“Thanks.” Ginny jumped down off of the pedestal. “One more color suggestion and I would have-”

“I liked the green.” Harry cut her off.

“Oh, thanks.” She smiled.

“Here you go.” This time it was Madam Malkin who returned with the package. “Tell your mother to let me know what the bride chooses and that I’ll need at least two days before the wedding for fittings.”

Swallowing hard, Ron took the package. “Thanks.”

“Is everything all right?” Madam Malkin asked.

“Just fine.” Hermione said; she could see Lavender peering around the corner. “Miss Brown was very helpful.”

“She is, isn’t she!” The seamstress was proud of her new protégé. “I’ve had so many good things said about her. Brides can be so jittery and difficult to deal with, but she’s handled them like a pro. I haven’t seen so many summer weddings since…” She trailed off, realizing the reason for all the nuptials. “I’ll be sad to lose her when school starts back up, that is if the Board of Governors decide so, Dumble-.”

“I’m sure they will.” Ginny was positive. “Thanks again.”

“See you in a few days.’ Madam Malkin waived them out the door, puzzled that they left so quickly.








Mrs. Weasley had prepared Harry’s favorite dishes and decorated the garden just for him while they had been in Diagon Alley. All the Weasley’s, except of Percy, who according to Ron, using a few choice explicatives he was sure not to let his mother hear, was still being a prat. He opened gifts from them all, including Hagrid, Lupin, and Dobby, (purposely forgetting Kreacher’s and sliding it into the rubbish bin with the rest of the wrappings), and did his best to enjoy the rest of the evening.

Stealing a moment alone in Ron’s room, Harry sat on the edge of his bed, holding one of the many reminders of what he lost, what he stood to lose, and what needed still to be done. He traced the outside of the fake locket with his finger, every bump and curve renewed his endeavor.

He could hear the conversations float up into the open window from the garden below; Ron and Hermione’s laughter at Fred and George’s antics, Mrs. Weasley getting after them and Mr. Weasley’s lackadaisical enforcement to what she was saying. Fleur was doting over Bill, who didn’t mind it one bit. It was the gentle pressure on the bed that startled him.

“Hey.” Ginny whispered, leaning her head on his shoulder.

He hid the locket in his fist. “Hey.”

“It’s my turn to ask if you’re okay.”

“Yeah, I’m fine.” He slid the fake horcrux underneath his pillow. “How’d you get in here? I didn’t hear you at all.”

“I have my ways.” She winked, but then nudged her head towards his now empty hand. “I miss him too… I’m not supposed to know, am I?”

“No.” Harry sighed, “You’re not.”

“I saw a locket like that today.”

“I’m sure there are a lot like it.”

“Now that I think about it, this one reminded me of the one we found at Grimmauld Place. I remembered it because the darn thing was so heavy and nobody could open it.”

Harry’s heart had stopped, not believing what he just heard as the pieces clicked into place inside his mind. “You saw what?”

“A locket.”

“What did it look like?”

“It was dingy gold and had scroll work on the sides. The center was smooth.” Ginny recalled it perfectly, “It had an ornate ‘S’ engraved on the front. I had thought that I’d seen it before, but couldn’t place it until now. It was the one we found in the upstairs drawing room- the one with the tapestry, in the glass cabinet.”

“Knut for Loot, Mundungus.” He said to himself.

“Ginny, are you absolutely sure.” For the second time that day, he was holding onto her and holding is breath.

“Yeah...” She paused, “Absolutely.”

“I have to go.” He quickly kissed her and hopped off the bed. “Thanks, Gin.”

He flew open his trunk, grabbed his cloak and shoved it and the locket inside his pockets as he ran through the door and down the stairs after Ron and Hermione.

“Just doing my job.” She said to the empty room and comfortably curled up at the foot of his bed, waiting for him to return.






A/N: I've gone out on a limb here, I'm sure a lot of us are sitting on, and have made a few well-founded assumptions for this fic. In HBP, when Harry was kneeling besides Dumbledores body, (excuse me while I grab my Kleenex again) he was holding the fake horcrux where he reads the note. Right after, Hagrid tries to get him to go, and it wasn't until Ginny took his had that he left. It does not say when he pocketed the locket, but I'm assuming that Ginny got a look at it and put the two together. The note was crumpled up in his hand, so I don't think she knew about it and the initials R.A.B.

And I'm sure I'm stepping in it big-time here, but I really think Ginny is an animagus. A cat. (So many references to count... 1...2...3...) I think it's how she will be with Harry, without actually 'being' along with him as he, Hermione, and Ron hunt for the remaining Horcruxes. Who knows... at least it'll be worth a good laugh when I find out how wrong I was!

Thanks for reading!
~Patrony :)
Reviews 13
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear