Search:

SIYE Time:14:45 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Truly Enviable
By Lady_Ancora

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 5
Summary: Set in HBP: Love is love. And love is hurt. Where there is love, there is hurt. Where there are lovers, there are those who envy them. This is a one shot about missed chances, regrets and what-if's. But it might just be that it is never too late for love.
Hitcount: Story Total: 4599





Author's Notes:





Huge thanks to my beta cwarbeck, this story wouldn't be here without her!

I wasn't sure if this story has enough of Harry/Ginny in it, but in my opinion it's whole lot! Please give it a try, and review!

LadyAncora




ChapterPrinter





Truly Enviable



Hermione Granger sat under a huge willow tree by the Hogwarts lake. Some books were spread on the grass next to her, but each and every one of them was closed, because it was one of those days again. One of those days when she felt like hexing everyone who passed her way. One of those days when she asked herself whether this life was truly worth living. And also one of those days that eventually, would pass.

Hermione gave a barely audible sigh and let her eyes wander over the lake. The surface could easily be used as a mirror, since the sun was shining perfectly bright in a cloudless sky. And even though she would have only needed to bend forward slightly to see her reflection — she was afraid of what she might find staring back at her.

The brown-haired girl silently laughed to herself when she remembered how naïve she had been.

Hermione had always believed in the concept of one true love. There had been times when she had sworn to herself that she would always keep on believing in it. But it got harder every day, with every moment that passed, with every aching breath she took.

Some time ago, Ginny would have told Hermione that she and Ron seemed to be meant for each other. Ginny would have told her that almost every day. And even if Hermione had pretended to find it annoying — every time Ginny would say it, Hermione was secretly thrilled to hear it. But Ginny had stopped telling her that a long time ago.

And how could Hermione blame her? After years of her and Ron denying it, she could very well imagine that Ginny had eventually given it up as well.

Time had made its choices and it had chosen for her to be the one left behind. She felt like no one would even care if she died tomorrow. No one would miss Hermione Granger. Harry was too distracted with Ginny nowadays and Ron would only mind, perhaps, that he wouldn’t be able to copy her homework any longer. But what was that worth? It was bloody cold comfort.

Hermione’s glance wandered further over the surface of the lake and eventually came to rest on the opposite shore where she caught sight of a red-headed girl and a raven-haired boy quite distracted in one another. Hermione was so happy that Ginny had finally gotten the guy she had dreamed of since almost forever. And they were so in love that for a lonely girl like Hermione, it was really hard to watch the couple without becoming jealous of their happiness.

It was no silly romance thing between Harry and Ginny. She could sense that, everyone could. And even though Hermione tried to stop watching them all the time, she couldn’t seem to tear her eyes away. And the sight immediately brought tears to her eyes.

Being the smart one hadn’t been enough. Believing that someday love would come and get her hadn’t been enough. Because what could she do if Ron wasn’t the slightest bit interested in her?

He had broken things off with Lavender, but that didn’t mean that he liked her now. If Ron fancied girls like Lavender, then hell, Hermione could bury herself right now. She couldn’t be further away from being like Lavender. She had too much self-esteem, too much strength of character; she certainly didn’t want to be the kind of girl that Lavender was.

That was what really hurt Hermione. She wanted to meet someone who was different. A guy that didn’t judge a girl only by her looks. Because she was more than that.

Hermione knew that those types of guys might have already passed her way, but a certain red-headed Weasley boy had kept her from even noticing them. Love had caught her in its trap, but since this bloody Love-game seemed to be played differently from how she thought it was to be played, she would rather it had not caught her at all.

All this misery she was feeling could be traced back to Ron. She could turn it every way round, but she always came to the same solution.

When she had been with Viktor Krum in their fourth year, Ron had been the jealous and mad one. Hermione had to admit that she had been very thrilled with that and it might have been the main reason she had even snogged Viktor. But she could not tell Ron that. Not any more.

Because it was the other way around now. Hermione would have never believed that she would ever be as jealous as she was now. Ron was the popular one now and she was the hurt one. She was playing that part now.

Hermione knew perfectly well that she had made at least as many mistakes as Ron had. She did not blame him that they had not worked things out, but she blamed him that she could not get him out of her head. Not even now, when it probably was too late.

They had their chance and neither of them had taken it, so what was left between them?

She snorted at this wonderful insight and continued feeling sorry for herself. Having Harry and Ginny in perfect view, snogging cozily, did not really help improve her disposition either. Hermione hated them that second; hated herself, every other couple and everyone else who was happy — because she was not. This terrible feeling that overcame her every once in a while, made her cry, made her hurt, and made her selfish.

Seeing Harry and Ginny, she couldn’t help but wonder why she, of all people, had to be so sad?

She watched them lying in the grass, Ginny looking up at Harry and smiling brightly at him. Harry bent forward and gave her a kiss.

Hermione turned her eyes away and stood up. She could not do that to herself anymore. It was like breaking her own heart and she really didn’t need that. She began walking towards the castle, her books pressed against her chest, her tears falling silently.

Understanding the other, without words...

Being respected and always cherished...

Loving and getting as much love in return...

That was happiness.

Ginny and Harry probably didn’t know it, but they were like that. The way Harry always defended Ginny, especially when Malfoy began to insult her... it made every girl dream that they had a boyfriend who would do the same for them.

Walking faster, Hermione kept her eyes on the ground because she knew that her eyes had to look very red and puffy. She had always been the strong one, the one who played it cool and never showed any emotions on the outside. But for some reason, she could not handle all her hurt feelings right now. Her tears were flowing freely so that everyone could see.

Hermione wiped over her cheeks with her sleeve. She thought of lying down on the grass and waiting for her knight in shining armor — preferably Ron — to come and save her. To wipe away her tears and tell her that everything was going to be okay.

But Hermione knew that if she did that, the only people who would probably cross her way were Malfoy or Pansy Parkinson. Hermione sighed sadly.

The sounds of bickering came from around the corner and made Hermione look up. The voices sounded familiar but before she even got the chance to figure out who they belonged to, Lavender came into view with Ron walking next to her.

Lavender was obviously trying to convince Ron of something, and there was a note of desperation in her voice. However, she seemed to be having little success because Ron looked as if he might walk away at any moment.

Ron suddenly looked up and met Hermione’s eyes for one second. And in that second she realized that he knew — everything. Everything, from the tears she had just cried for him, to the kisses she had given Victor Krum to make him jealous. And it was in that same second, that she saw it in his eyes — he felt the same way about her.

Suddenly, the moment was over. Hermione remained where she was, dazed and startled, trying to sort her mind. Ron threw her one glance over his shoulder, but quickly looked away when Lavender began yelling at him again.

Hermione silently watched them walking away and she knew Lavender’s attempts to convince Ron to take her back would fail.

She had seen it in his eyes. She had seen so much more in his eyes in that one second. Probably more than he would ever tell her, probably more than she should ever know.

She would have what Ginny and Harry had now. She would someday have what she was envying now. She would be protected, like Harry protected Ginny. She would be loved, and cherished, and she would never need to envy Harry and Ginny again.

As Hermione stood there under the slowly setting sun, a faint smile formed on her lips and the soft wind began to finally dry her tears.


El Fin




Reviews 5
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear