Search:

SIYE Time:11:36 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Worth Fighting For
By SunDevil05

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 41
Summary: Ginny finds out just what it is that Harry is fighting for.
Hitcount: Story Total: 7189



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.





ChapterPrinter


A/N: Hello, hello again! I'm back with a one shot! I hope you all enjoy and please remember to leave a review!

DISCLAIMER: Just playing in JKR's world. Though I wish it were mine.





Worth Fighting For



She listened as rain continued to pound against the glass pane of her window. The wind howled; the eerie sound of it mimicked the moans that the ghoul in the attic was making. The strength of the wind blew the flimsy branches of a tree nearby against her window, making a scratching sound that was not at all comforting. Every now and then, the light of the pale moon would illuminate her bedroom, but it would quickly pass with the movement of the dark clouds.

She shivered. A rainy night in November was not something she enjoyed. It was freezing outside and it wasn’t much warmer inside the house.

It was a terrible night and Ginny couldn’t help but wonder if the weather was the same where her friends and her brother were. Of course, for all she knew they could be enjoying a nice night with clear skies and a light breeze. Or, she thought, they could be caught in a cold and drafty cave as a blizzard blew outside; each of them shivering as they struggled to stay warm.

No matter how many scenarios she thought up, her speculations were only speculations. The truth of the matter was she did not know where her friends were. Their letters never revealed their location and most of the time they were only a few words long. Every so often she would get a letter where they would ask her to look up something and send them the information. Ginny always did what they asked in hopes that whatever she was researching would lead her to a location but she never had such luck. It had taken some time, but Ginny had finally come to terms with being left behind.

Ron, Hermione, and Harry were on a mission of finding . . . something. Ginny was never told what it was they were after as well as where they were. The trio thought it would be too dangerous to let anyone else know what it was they were looking for. Ginny found it infuriating that they were so secretive about it and no matter how much she pushed, none of them would budge.

During Bill and Fleur’s wedding, Harry had pulled Ginny aside and told her they were leaving the next day for their mission. Ginny had asked where they were going, but he had refused to say. She had a spectacular row with him, demanding to go and help but in the end she had lost and stayed behind.

Ginny despised having to stay at the Burrow. She didn’t even have school to keep her busy as Hogwarts was temporarily closed due to the events at the end of her fifth year. She felt utterly useless. However, when the first owl had arrived for her from the trio, Ginny’s heart leapt. They had needed her help after all and she couldn’t feel happier! Even though all she was doing was research for them, it was better than doing nothing and she was able to help in some way.

Without fail, each letter would tell her how they were doing and it came as simple as “All is well”; that was all Ginny needed to know about them to feel assured that they were safe. What troubled her though was that the letters never once came from Harry.

She would be lying if she said Harry’s breakup with her did not affect her. Once she was in the confines of her dormitory after the incident, she broke down and cried. She understood why he did it and she had been expecting it, but it still did not change the heartache. Ginny knew he had to do this if he were to be happy. He couldn’t be until he had ended it all. She would wait for him no matter how long it took. After all, she had already waited for years for him; she could wait a littler longer.

Ginny rolled onto her side, pulling her blankets tighter around her and sighed. Her eyes caught the moonlight on the glass of a picture frame sitting on the small table next to her bed. Sitting up, she reached out for it and held it in her hands. It was of her and Harry, taken not too long ago. There were in the common room, Harry with his arms around her and both of them smiling. Every so often, the Harry in the picture would nuzzle the neck of the Ginny in the picture or kiss the top of her head and her smile would widen. Ginny remembered when Colin had asked them if he could take the picture and they happily agreed.

Tap, tap, tap.

She froze. That did not sound like the wind of rain.

Tap, tap, tap.

The tapping sound was more persistent now. She looked at the window and her jaw dropped in surprise. She scrambled out of her bed and went to open the window.

“Harry!” she whispered as she opened the window and stared at him hovering on his broomstick. “What are you doing here?”

Harry flew inside her room and carefully slid off of his broom while Ginny quickly shut her window. He was soaked from head to toe and was shivering. Ginny rushed over to her wardrobe and pulled out the warmest blanket she could find. She gave it to him.

“Thanks,” he whispered as he wrapped it around himself, letting a shimmering cloak fall from his hands. She watched as he pulled out his wand and muttered a Drying Charm. Within moments he was dry but he was still shivering. He sat on her bed.

“What are you doing here?” she asked again. He looked at her for a long while before speaking.

“I nearly forgot how beautiful you were.”

Ginny felt her face heat as a blush spread in her cheeks. She was thankful it was dark.

“Where are Ron and Hermione?” she asked sitting next to him.

“Back where we set up camp for the night,” he replied.

“Do they know you left?” she asked. He shook his head.

“No. I left during my watch.”

“They’ll go mental when they see you’ve gone,” she said already picturing Ron and Hermione waking up in the middle of the night to find Harry gone.

“I plan to be back before they see I’m gone,” Harry replied. “I just . . . I had to see you.”

Ginny stared at Harry in slight shock. “What? Why did you need to see me?”

Harry sighed and closed his eyes. He leaned his head back and remained silent. Ginny watched, her eyes mesmerized by the expanse of skin on his exposed neck. She remembered that he liked to be kissed there. She had enjoyed the groan he had made the first time she had kissed him there and whenever they had been alone, she would do everything to hear that sound again.

“I had to remember what I was fighting for,” he said quietly. Slowly, he turned his head and looked at her. She felt her mouth grow dry at the look in his eyes. “I had to see what was worth all this.”

Ginny stared at him, licking her lips as she felt her heart beat faster.

“And I’m worth it all?” she asked. “I’m worth fighting for?”

Harry simply nodded and suddenly stood up. He shrugged the blanket off of him and began to pace in front of her.

She watched him. He seemed to be battling with himself on what to say.

“There’s been one thought going through my mind ever since . . . well . . . for a while now, but it’s been stronger since we left on our mission,” he began.

“And what’s that?” she asked.

Harry paused in his pacing and looked directly at her. “You.”

His gaze was piercing and Ginny felt her breath catch in her throat.

He dropped on his knees in front of her. He looked at her hands, almost afraid to touch them. It was as if touching her would break him. He licked his lips.

“I’m sorry I haven’t written. It’s just too painful for me to and I can’t really say what I need to in writing. I can’t stop thinking about you, Ginny,” he whispered. “But if I do, I don’t have any purpose for what I’m doing. I mean, I want to protect my friends, but I want to protect you more. The thought of us having a future together keeps me going.

“I keep running every memory I have of you through my mind. It’s like my strength for fighting him, Ginny. You’re my whole reason for being out there. But I needed more than just my memories of you; I needed to see you. I just needed that reminder of what I’m fighting for. You’re worth it all.”

Ginny couldn’t speak. She knew Harry cared about her; that he cared very much, but he never told her anything like this before. It was as if he was trying to say —

“I love you.”

Those three simple words meant more to her than anything else. To hear him actually say it to her confirmed everything she thought.

He was staring at her, waiting for a response to reassure him that she felt more or less the same way.

Ginny reached out and held his face in her hand.

“I love you, too.”

He swallowed and in a heartbeat, he swept her into his arms.

It was bliss to be in his arms again. She had longed to feel his body near hers again and now that she was, she felt a well of emotions bubbling inside her.

Harry’s arms wrapped around her and she felt him press a kiss on the side of her head. She had missed this terribly and it was almost painful to have a taste of it again. She wished they could just stay like this forever but she knew it wouldn’t happen. They couldn’t be like this again until it was all over.

“You’ll wait for me, won’t you?” he asked hoarsely.

Ginny pulled away and smiled up at him.

“Of course I’ll wait for you, you great prat,” she replied. “I waited years for you to kiss me. I think I can hold out a little longer to be with you.”

Harry cracked a smile and pulled her close to him again.

Ginny didn’t know how long they stood there in their embrace and it was far too short to her liking.

“I should get going,” Harry said and reluctantly pulled away from her.

Ginny nodded, hating the feeling of loss that swept through her when he stepped back.

He picked up his broom and his invisibility cloak and looked at her.

“We’ll have forever when this is over,” he said. “I promise.”

Ginny smiled softly at him. “I’ll hold you to your word, then. When it’s over, I expect you to be in my arms again and I won’t be letting you go this time.”

“Nothing will stop me from being with you,” he said and mounted his broom.

Ginny went to open the window. She paused and turned around to face him.

“One last thing to make it worth fighting for,” she said.

“What?”

Ginny stood close to him. She reached up with a hand and placed it on the back of his head before pulling his face towards her and kissing him deeply.

Ginny was sure to make this a kiss he would never forget. She poured all her heart into it, hoping that he would be able to feel her love for him. When she pulled away she saw that he had a dazed look on his face.

“Wow.”

Ginny giggled and gave him a second quick kiss on the lips.

“Another memory for you to have,” she said.

He looked at her and smiled.

“Something else worth fighting for.”

They stood there for a few moments, smiling at each other. It wasn’t until for a flash of lighting and a clap of thunder that they broke from their spell.

“It sounds nasty out there,” Ginny said and glanced behind her. She had almost forgotten it was raining outside.

“Yeah,” he agreed. “My invisibility cloak doesn’t do much for the cold weather.”

“Here,” Ginny grabbed the blanket she had given him earlier and handed it to him. “Put a Warming Charm and cast Impervius on it. That should help.”

“Thanks,” he said and took the blanket. He quickly cast the charms and threw it over himself. As he covered himself with his invisibility cloak, Ginny once again made her way over to open the window.

“Harry,” she said. His disembodied head looked up at her. “Do be rather quick with this whole saving the world thing, will you?”

He grinned and began to slowly fly toward her.

“I’ll try my best,” he replied. With a final glance, Harry took off out of her window. She watched him go until he threw the rest of his cloak over his head and he was gone.

Ginny shut her window and stood by it, watching the dark sky wondering where he was in her line of vision. She wasn’t sure how long she stood there watching but she was sure that by the time she stepped away Harry was far away from the Burrow.

Slipping back into bed, Ginny’s thoughts returned to her from earlier. She was in happier spirits though after her surprise visit from Harry. Though she was still not entirely sure of what her friends were up to, she was happy to know that she was worth fighting for.
Reviews 41
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear