Search:

SIYE Time:13:52 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Harry Potter And The Legend Of Infinity
By peskypetunia

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Angst, Drama, Fluff, General
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 268
Summary: So many tiny things can change the outcome of our futures. How much do we already know? How are Ginny and Lily so much alike? Surprise weddings, painful losses, and Ron without a voice, leaves the seventh year at Hogwarts to be the most interesting yet. Please review. We are nearing the end now, best review for the last two chaps gets a preview to the sequel! **NOW COMPLETE PLEASE REVIEW**
Hitcount: Story Total: 113649; Chapter Total: 5451







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Disclaimer: Its her back yard, I'm just playin' on the swings.

Chapter Six
Tales of a Death Eater

Harry and Ron paced through the kitchen at Grimmauld Place. Harry was silently reliving what had happened a few hours ago. They had been at Godric’s Hollow. Hermione opened the gate and trudged through the thick brush trying to find any evidence of the house that once occupied the space. Suddenly she was screaming and speeding toward the body of Draco Malfoy. He had lost a lot of blood and Harry could barely see his chest rise as he tried to grasp for air.

“Moody, get them out of here!” she had screeched and pointed to Harry and Ron.

“Wait, no, I’m not leaving!” Harry bellowed.

“Hermione you can’t take charge,” Ron started.

Dora was already trying to help Malfoy. Hermione slid to her knees and gently cradled Malfoy’s head.

“Remus, go, NOW! We will get him help; get them out of here!” Dora hissed at her husband, conjuring bandages for Malfoy.

Harry felt the awkward compression of instantly Apparating from one place to the next. He and Ron fell into each other as they wretched out of Lupin’s grip. A moment later Neville and Luna appeared with Moody.

“We have to go back; we can’t just leave them there. She’s my friend.” Harry rounded on Remus.

“And she’s my wife, Harry. Hermione was right. If he was there it was some sort of message. Pettigrew must have helped with the attack; he was the only other person who knew where the actual house had been next to Voldemort himself. The girls will be fine; Dora will know to come here.”

That had been nearly two hours ago. He and Ron were making their hundredth pass of the kitchen table when he heard that all familiar crash of the umbrella stand…

“Dora, you two alright?” Remus collided into his wife.

“Fine, fine, we got him to Hogwarts. He should survive, but he will have some permanent damage. Considerable blood loss, the snake attacked him, and he will never be able to use his left arm again. We would have been here sooner but Hermione needed to speak to an old friend. Perhaps we can get some good information out of him. Kingsley was with us and is with Malfoy now. He will be questioned under Veratiserum when he regains consciousness.”

“Are you alright, Hermione?” Luna asked as she patted her exhausted friend’s hand.

“I’m fine, thank you.” Hermione smiled wearily at her.

“Just what the HELL were you thinking, Hermione? Who are you to order us away like that and who the hell are you to take charge?” Ron suddenly began screaming.

“Guess what, Ron? I’m an adult. I can make my own decisions as necessary. He was dying, Ron. I needed to help him; I needed you to get Harry back here so that he would be safe. Didn’t you think that it was a little odd that Draco Malfoy suddenly appears, near death no less, at the former home of Harry’s parents?”

“Yes, but...”

“And if I scream at you to get him or anyone out of a place, wouldn’t that imply that I know that the area might not be safe?”

“Yes, but…” Ron realized he was going to be defeated and looked away from his fuming friend.

“Honestly, Ronald, you don’t think. I know you worry about me, like I worry about you. You’re my friend and I’m yours, but that goes flying out the window when the people you care about are in danger. Don’t ever question me like that again!” Hermione was now screaming at the top of her lungs.

Ron stood in shock as she huffed out of the room and up the stairs. He wasn’t the only one watching her. Luna chased after her and left the room in silence. After a few moments of tension, Moody broke out into a hearty laugh.

“What is so funny, Alastor?” Dora queried.

“Decidedly more terrifying,” he howled.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The next morning Ron and Hermione were not speaking to each other. Harry had too much experience with those two to try to intervene, so when Moody invited him to go along to question Malfoy, he was all too willing to abandon Ron and Hermione to their private war.

Moody pulled out a thin quill and placed it before Harry. Harry tried to count how many times Hermione had told him that one could not Apparate into Hogwarts. and wondered why he naturally assumed that was how they would be getting there today. The familiar yank at his navel brought him out of his daydreams and firmly to the floor of the Hogwarts Infirmary.

Madame Pomfrey, Headmistress McGonnagall and Kingsley were awaiting their arrival.

“How is he, Poppy?” Moody solicited.

“He’s pretty banged up, but he’ll survive, though, he will have to stay here for a very, very long time. Dora said that they were considering telling the press that he had died. It would be one way to keep him safe, but how to keep him away from the students is another matter…” she answered, shifting her gaze from Moody to McGonagall.

“We will manage,” the Headmistress answered crisply.

“Can we get on with this, I’m tired,” Malfoy hissed from his cot.

His beaten body lay limply of the soft mattress. He had a large gash from his left ear to his nose and Harry could see the marks on his neck from where the deadly snake had attacked him.

“Has he been administered Veratiserum?” Moody looked at Pomfrey who nodded.

“Very well,” he growled, beginning the questioning.

“Please state your full name.”

“Draco Seymour Malfoy.” Malfoy looked malevolent having to admit ‘Seymour.’

“When were you attacked and why?”

“Four nights ago, because I failed the task that my Lord gave me.”

“What was your task?”

“To kill Dumbledore.”

“How were you punished?”

“Because I failed, he bound me and forced me to watch as my mother was tortured. He then ordered Pettigrew and Snape to cast various spells on me to bring me to the point of death. He did not care if I died, only that I suffered.”

“What did they do to you?”

“Pettigrew cast a hex that slowly turned the bones in my arm to dust. Snape forced me to take a potion and then suggested that the snake attack me. It bit me several times before I blacked out. The last thing I remember was hearing my Lord banish me to a place where Harry Potter would see me as I died.”

“Why did he want Harry to find you?”

“He wanted Harry to see what he has planned for him and his friends.” With that an evil smile crawled across the broken face.

“Is your family in possession of a dagger that once belonged to Rowena Ravenclaw?”

Harry enjoyed seeing Malfoy trying to fight the effects of the Veratiserum before choking out a small, “Yes.”

“Where is it kept and how could we get to it?”

“It is our most valuable treasure. Father keeps it in a high security vault at Gringotts. Unless you have proper legal ownership of it, you could never get it. Father bought the vault outright and it can only be accessed by the legal owner,” he whispered.

“What does Voldemort have planned next?”

“Various attacks, kill Harry Potter, I am no longer privy to such information.” He was smiling again.

“How do we find him?”

“He’ll find you.”

Moody had asked his final question knowing that there would be no good answer for it. Harry had silently listened. He had let his thoughts dwell on the questions and answers. He thought of his parents and how he wished that they were there to guide him. He thought of Sirius and how he shouldn’t have died. He knew that Sirius would have rather gone fighting if he had to go, but the thought of that evil elf’s betrayal…If Kreacher…

Malfoy was at Hogwarts. Kreacher was at Hogwarts. This could get very ugly.

As Moody and Kingsley whispered between themselves about Malfoy’s responses, Harry abruptly got up and walked out of the wing.

“Kreacher!” Harry called.

The hideous Elf was instantly by his side.

“I hereby command that you are forever restricted to the kitchens of Hogwarts Castle. You may never venture into or outside of the rest of the castle. Do you understand?”

The Elf nodded and was gone. At least he could be certain that Kreacher would never again try to aid the Malfoys. With that worry aside, Harry strode back into the Hospital Wing intending to ask Malfoy a few questions of his own.

“Malfoy, how many Horcruxes has Voldemort made?” Malfoy winced at his master’s name.

“Seven,” he whispered.

Harry inwardly sighed; that was the number that Harry had hoped for and expected.

“What are they?”

“I only know of the dagger; I was never told what the others are.” Malfoy growled through clenched teeth.

Harry saw that Malfoy wouldn’t have anymore information and sat down next to Madame Pomfrey.

“Mr. Potter,” she began slowly.

“Madame Pomfrey?” he raised an eyebrow at the nurse.

“Could you do me a small favor this year, please?” Harry nodded to her question.

“I would like you to never have need for my services ever again, if possible. Do you understand?” A tiny smile played on her sage face.

“Absolutely, don’t get hurt or sick this year or go straight to the morgue, right?” He laughed as she rolled her eyes at him.

“You are worse than your father, you know that?”

“Did he have a natural ability to collide with trouble as well?”

“Let’s just say that he and another mischief maker were known to find my cots quite comfortable.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well if I had ever taken him up on any one of his thousands of offers, I can safely bet that I would have been your godmother.” She winked at him roguishly as he realized that she wasn’t comparing him to his father but really to Sirius.

“Harry!” Moody barked, “We should get going.”

Harry smiled at the Healer and the Headmistress as Moody guided him out of the wing. As they slipped down the passages of the vacant castle, Harry wondered why they hadn’t transported back to Headquarters with the Portkey.

“Well, it seems that we need to get a legal hold of the Malfoy properties. Any ideas?” Moody snarled.

“Maybe if we petition the Minister directly we could work something out,” Harry began.

Minister Scrimgeour would likely help Harry, but it would cost him.

“I can arrange us to have dinner with old Rufus tonight, if you would like me there. We also need to establish a new Head of the Order, and Secret Keeper for Headquarters. Dumbledore’s charm was powerful and lasting but it would be best to redo it all the same.”

“Who would you recommend for the Head and Secret Keeper?” Harry questioned.

“Well, I think that those positions revolve around you and what you need. If I were in your position, I would choose Remus for both jobs, but you would have to delegate a second in command because of his condition.”

“Let’s do one thing at a time. After we deal with the Minister, we can worry about the debate of the new commander of the Order of the Phoenix.” Harry shook his head as he envisioned the members squabbling over the position.

Moody smiled and guided Harry out of the castle and onto the grounds. After a brief visit with Hagrid, Moody returned Harry to Headquarters and immediately Disapparated to the Ministry. Harry hoped that the Minister would be able to help them, but he also hoped that he wasn’t about to sell his soul to get his support.

Harry wandered into the kitchen searching for Ron and Hermione; sadly he found them.

“Ronald, I did what I thought was best; can’t you let me be about it?”

“Hermione, honestly you could have let Lupin or Kingsley take over. Why you? You just have to control everyone and everything. You are so bossy; can’t you ever relax and let someone else call the shots?” Ron spat angrily at her.

“Oh and who would that be, Ron? You haven’t ever made a move to ‘call the shots.’ I’m certainly not going to wait around for you to stumble through when something important is happening!”

“What are you saying; that I can’t make decisions? That you can’t count on me?”

“Oh you can make plenty of decisions as long as they involve your consumption of food.”

“That’s nice Hermione, really. I’ll never know how I ever managed to live a day without having you nag me!”

“And I will never know how I got through all those days without you around; I mean how can I live if you don’t call me names at least once a day? Its positively depressing! If I never hear you call me a ‘nag’ again, it will be too soon!”

Ron stormed out of the room. Harry heard him slam the door to whichever room he landed in as he watched Hermione slide into a chair.

“Hermione,” Harry could see the tears in her eyes.

“I’m fine, Harry, just let me be alone for a few minutes, okay?”

Harry gazed at her knowing she really did want him to leave her alone; he did what he knew would be the only right answer. Luna was playing Exploding Snap with Neville in the library.

“Er, Luna, I think Hermione may need you now.” Harry tried not to sound desperate for his friend.

She was gone in an instant and Harry took her place at the game with Neville.

“I’m sorry I lost you your partner, but I am complete bullocks when it comes to girls.” Neville snorted.

“Don’t worry Harry, Ron will come around. So how did it go with Malfoy; did you learn anything useful?”

“The only interesting thing that interview yielded was that Malfoy’s middle name is Seymour.”

The two boys let out a hearty laugh just before Harry’s card exploded, singeing his finger tips. A few moments later Luna and Hermione quietly inched into the room.

“Harry,” Hermione’s voice quaked. “Could I borrow Hedwig? I would like to send a letter to Mum; I haven’t talked to her in so long.”

“Of course,” Harry suddenly had a brilliant idea. “Before you send her off, bring her to me so that I can send a letter off as well. I left something at the Burrow and need to see if Ginny could bring it to me.”

Hermione raised an eyebrow but didn’t ask any questions. She sniffed and went to find the snowy owl. Harry rushed to a desk and found parchment and ink,

“Dearest Mother Weasley.” He smiled remembering the day she had told off his aunt.

Dearest Mother Weasley,
I don’t know how much you know about what is going on but we are all fine. A bit of an incident happened the other day but we are all fine. No one was hurt. DO NOT WORRY. We do have a small problem though; Hermione is in desperate need for a friend. She and Ron had it out, again, and as I’ve got a lot on my plate and Neville and Luna are getting closer, I’m afraid that she might need someone who can relate to her. Could you see if maybe her parents could drop by or maybe you and Ginny could stop by sometime? We all miss you. You might be surprised to hear this, but Dora isn’t half the cook you are. If you can come we are visiting Lupin’s dog.
Love,
Your favorite brunette son.

Harry quickly reread the letter; he knew Mrs. Weasley would see that he really wanted someone there for Hermione and that they were at Grimmauld Place. When Hermione re-appeared with his beloved bird, he affixed his letter to her leg and watched her sail through the sky before returning to Neville for another game of Exploding Snap. A short while later Neville and Luna left to explore the house, while Harry and Hermione discussed old friends and what Harry would have to do to get the Minister of Magic to help them.

By dinner time Moody had returned to tell Harry they would be having dinner with the Minister and that he should be ready by seven o’clock sharp. Harry tried to flatten his hair but to no avail. Moody collected Harry at four minutes ‘til the hour and they co-Apparated into a private room of a very dirty pub.

“Where are we?” Harry questioned.

“We are in a secure room at the Hog’s Head, in Hogsmeade. I know the owner and can be certain that the room is secure.”

A flash of bright green flames ushered Minister Scrimgeour into their room along.

“Well, I say, let’s eat first and do business later. Wouldn’t you agree, Rufus?” Moody shook the Minister’s hand and led him to a full table.

They ate in silence. Minister Scrimgeour watched Harry darkly and ate in great haste. Harry was privately thinking about the conversation he was about to have and what Hermione had helped him prepare to say. Harry trusted Moody, but hadn’t been able to talk to him privately. He certainly did not want Moody speaking on his behalf. Harry slowly picked at his meal to give himself more time. He gazed around the dark room. The only light was from the fire and the three candles on the table. The stained walls almost whispered the private dealings done in that room. Harry was grateful that the walls couldn’t speak; he didn’t want to know what they had seen. Upon seeing that the Minister was finished eating, Harry cleared his throat and took a deep breath.

“I’m not sure what all Moody has told you, Minister, but I would like to know why you think you are here,” Harry began slowly.

Moody smiled but continued to eat manfully.

“Alastor only said that you need my help and that I was to be here at seven sharp.”

“Basically we need your help. I need your help specifically. I know that you have wanted my help in the past and I have been less than enthusiastic, but I am willing to work with you now,” Harry could feel his face getting warmer.

“I’m listening, Mr. Potter.” The Minister grinned with maniacal gleam.

“Many of Voldemort’s Death Eaters are exceptionally wealthy; I fear that their finances prove to be a great deterrent against the Ministry when working against him. Wouldn’t it be understandable if the Ministry seized the assets of known Death Eaters to prevent their aid to Voldemort? I’m aware that in times of war this is not an uncommon practice among governing bodies.”

“That is not a bad idea, but where would the money go? We would have to keep it somewhere and the people would not look kindly upon the Ministry controlling it. I suppose we could delegate the ‘assets’ to the next of kin that can be proven of legal activities, that is, haven’t sided with You-Know-Who. In order to do all this, though, we would have to bribe the Goblins, how do you think we could get them to agree to that?” Scrimgeour raised an eyebrow.

Harry could tell that the Minister was stalling to tell him what he would have to do to get the Minister’s support.

“Repeal any of the acts written or endorsed by Delores Umbridge,” Moody growled. “Honestly, Rufus, make a pretty little speech saying how comforting it is to know that they are on our side and that we have undervalued them too long. What do you want?”

Harry sat shocked as Moody shoveled a large piece of tart into his mouth. Harry never realized Moody could be so, well…cool.

“I want you, Mr. Potter, to publicly state that you feel the Ministry is working very hard and in the right direction.”

“Minister, I will agree to be your little spokesman, but only as long as you are truly doing good things. Did you ever release Stan Shunpike?”

“We will release him tomorrow. After this news hits the press, we can bury his story in the back of the paper and it will be easily forgotten.”

“Not for Stan it won’t, at least give him a formal apology.” Harry didn’t like how this was going.

“Then you will talk to the press on behalf of the Ministry?” The Minister’s malevolent smile was back.

Harry silently blessed Hermione at this moment.

“No, I will talk to my personal press agent. She will release all my stories and only she.” Harry took a moment to enjoy the fall of Scrimgeour’s face and the rise of Moody’s grin.

“Take it or leave it, Rufus,” Moody spat.

“Fine, but I think I am getting the short end of the stick. Do not make me regret this, Mr. Potter.” He abruptly got up and Disapparated.

Moody leaned back in his chair and Harry exhaled.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Harry stayed up late that night talking with Ron about everything he and the Minister had discussed. Ron flat out refused to say anything about or to Hermione so they kept each other busy trying to think of ways to destroy the tea cup. Around midnight the best friends lumbered downstairs looking for refreshments. As they entered the kitchen their mouths dropped open in surprise.

“Harry!” Mrs. Weasley exclaimed.

“Oh, Harry, you ruined the surprise. We were setting up decorations for your birthday,” Ginny whined.

Large green and blue streamers had been magically affixed to the ceiling. Two monstrous banners shone. The green one said ‘Happy Birthday Harry,” while the blue one said ‘Happy Birthday Neville.’ Harry had completely forgotten that today had been Neville’s birthday and mentally smacked himself.

“Oh, you didn’t have to do all this. Thanks,” Harry’s eyes rested on the youngest Weasley.

Her hair was messily tied up. She had on grey and pink striped pajama pants and a soft pink hooded sweatshirt. The shirt had a large green monster printed onto the front with the word “GROUCH” spelled out underneath.

“We got your letter, Harry. Hermione just went up.”

“Thanks,” he choked out with a great blush.

“Well, I think I’m headed for bed.” Ron said with a great stretch. “Good to see you, Mum.”

He hugged Ginny and patted his mother on the head and retreated to the upstairs.

“I will just finish wrapping your birthday present from Arthur and me; Ginny dear, don’t stay up much longer. We are going to Diagon Alley tomorrow, you know.” Mrs. Weasley embraced her only daughter and ruffled Harry’s hair before disappearing from the kitchen.

Harry and Ginny sat in an awkward silence for a few moments before she finally found her voice.

“So you’re coming back after all?” She whispered over a mug of coffee.

Harry nodded.

“Gin, I hope you and I can be friends this year. I’ve missed having you around.”

“Harry, we will always be friends.”

After another awkward moment of silence Harry tried to lighten the tension.

“So do I get my birthday present? You know if you all hadn’t done this, I would’ve totally forgotten about it.”

“We knew you would forget, and all that I have to give you is a little letter. It isn’t much.” She blushed with great tenacity. “But it might help you remember why you are doing this. Before you ask, Lupin brought a box of stuff over from Grimmauld Place at the beginning of summer. He asked that we go through it and save anything we might want. It was mostly junk or unsalvageable but…” She handed him a very weathered envelope.

With a swift hug and, ‘Goodnight, Harry,’ she vanished down the hall and up the stairs. With great haste, Harry ripped open the letter and read with fury.

Dearest James,
I know that you are very busy working with Dumbledore, and I’m sorry to keep you from whatever insane idea he has cooked up for you and the toddlers you call friends. Please tell Sirius and Remus that they would know what is good for them if they never try to jinx our bed again. I am certain that it was Sirius, and I have a right mind to spit in his general direction next time I see him. Please tell Remus that I took back the handcuffs and the leather boots, and I want to know exactly how he knew my sizes. If only he knew that I already had that pair. I still don’t want to know what they had to do to make that particular part of you anatomy invisible but will you inform them that it had little effect when you consider the outcome. Now I know that you are wondering what that last statement meant. I am sure that you have passed this letter off to Sirius trying to make sense of my ramblings. Remus always was the smarter of the two so maybe he will have more luck. I can tell you this much, if you even think of making him a Maurader, I will personally flame any one who tries it.

All my love,
Lily

Harry re-read the letter confusedly. What had his mother meant? No sooner had he thought it had Moony appeared with a letter of his own clutched in his hand.

“Harry, are you alright? You look like you have walked through a ghost.”

“Ginny gave me a letter for my birthday but I don’t understand it,” Harry handed his mother’s script to Moony.

A tiny grin widened across his face and began howling with laughter.

“Oh I forgot when we got this. Your mum was a class act. She could take on the Mauraders and leave four devastated men in her wake.” He laughed again. “Dumbledore told her that once a week we had a meeting that the men had to attend during the first war. He said it was vital to our mentality, which I suppose was code for a bowling league. We ran off every Thursday and all of the wives threw a fit. Alice Longbottom near hexed old Frank into tomorrow when she found out we weren’t working against Voldemort, but rather drinking at McGillicuttie’s Bowling Barn every week. Lovely Lily sent that letter to James the week after they got back from their honeymoon.”

“Did you really send her those boots?” Harry had no idea why he asked that question.

“No that was Sirius, he did the bed too. I Disillusioned your dad’s… well never mind. Do you realize what she was saying?”

Harry shook his head ‘no.’

“She was telling James she was pregnant with a baby boy. That was the one thing James wanted more than anything else, a son. He wanted you to be just like him and Sirius. When we got this letter, Peter had to levitate the three of us back to your folks’ house because we were so very, insanely drunk. If I remember correctly, Sirius woke up stuck to the ceiling. Your mother wasn’t too fond of drinking, probably because she couldn’t hold her Fire Whiskey.”

“What was your letter about?” Harry quickly changed subjects.

“Apparently there has been a new law passed. Anyone who has been declared a known Death Eater within the past three years has had all their finances and legal holdings stripped. Dora and I have to go to Gringott’s tomorrow to claim the transfer of funds from her relatives to us.”

“Do you know what you will be getting?”

“Not really, but I know who she is getting it from.”

“Oh really, who?”

“She is becoming the legal owner of the entire Malfoy estate.”


A/N: Ok so you have my story as full as it is! Chapter 7 will be up shortly! I love you all please review! Please tell me what you think and if you ever need someone to talk to just contact me!
Reviews 268
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear