Search:

SIYE Time:10:55 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Harry Potter And The Legend Of Infinity
By peskypetunia

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Angst, Drama, Fluff, General
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 268
Summary: So many tiny things can change the outcome of our futures. How much do we already know? How are Ginny and Lily so much alike? Surprise weddings, painful losses, and Ron without a voice, leaves the seventh year at Hogwarts to be the most interesting yet. Please review. We are nearing the end now, best review for the last two chaps gets a preview to the sequel! **NOW COMPLETE PLEASE REVIEW**
Hitcount: Story Total: 113666; Chapter Total: 5514





Author's Notes:
Please Read and Review.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter Fourteen

Time Flies



George had shown steady improvement since his attack, which took place the first week in September. Now nearly eight weeks later, his physical self was what it always had been, but he remained unconscious due to severe magical symptoms. For Harry and his friends, the weeks had melded together into lessons, homework, and the work-study assignments.


Harry had managed to break up the monotony by corresponding with Dudley and Aunt Petunia. Hermione had been very helpful by suggesting he send the letters to her mother, who would then route them to his relatives via Muggle post. So far, the slow system was working splendidly. After George was attacked, Harry had contacted Rita and released a statement. Rita had the story put in a back article of the Prophet and kept it relatively small. She simply said the newest attack on the Weasley’s had driven the family into hiding, and that Harry hoped everyone was demonstrating extreme caution. She put in a little fluff to keep the Minister happy, but for the most part kept it simple.


Sadly, there had been a casualty of war no one anticipated. Because of the growing threat to the school and its occupants, Quidditch had been cancelled. McGonagall declared that Quidditch was an excellent sport, but it was a distraction to students and staff alike. She said she regretted the necessity of her decision but stood firmly by her choice. She had also decided there would be only one Hogsmeade weekend, which would take place just before Christmas and be highly organized and supervised.


Ginny and Harry were getting along as though they had never dated and had always been the best of friends. They both knew this was just a front, but never failed to keep up appearances. For her part, Ginny was now “dating” Colin. Rumors spread like wildfire when they were seen holding hands and sharing a quick kiss or two. According to popular gossip, Harry was secretly plotting to capture Colin and trap him in the Chamber of Secrets. When Ron heard this rumor, he laughed so forcefully he began to choke at the dinner table. Ginny on the other hand, was quite disturbed by the idea and asked Harry to help her put an end to it.


Percy and Krum were turning out to be excellent teachers. Krum was rather more reserved, but Harry assumed he was still haunted by the attack on his family. Percy proved that his enthusiasm for academics had paid off. Not only was he able to improve upon the things the classes already knew, he could point out minor errors and further their study. Soon enough everyone slipped into the standard routine the school year brings and time passed for everyone.


Ginny and Harry had asked everyone to help them with the riddle, but no one had given them a reply good enough for Rowena. Hermione was fascinated by their stories of the founders and she and Ron finally ventured into the Suite before one of Ginny and Harry’s Occlumency lessons. Though they were captivated by the stunning paintings, they were quite disappointed when the founders were decidedly silent.


And so the term progressed and life was almost normal.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


“Harry,” Hermione began early one evening, “Have you figured out how to destroy the Horcrux?”


She, Harry, and Ron had taken to studying in the Founders Suite. With so few people aware of its existence, they could speak freely and study in peace.


“Honestly, I have had only one thought about it, but I don’t know if it will work. Remember when you said a Horcrux is like a magical bank and applying stress to the magical reserve will strain its integrity? What if since no one can touch it, a group of people were to summon it? The magical reserve would be pulled in several directions, thus weakening it. When there is a great amount of stress, one could try to blow it up. After that I don’t know what to try.” Harry watched as her eyes clouded and she began to think heavily about his idea.


I don’t know if it will work, but it is worth a try. I'll owl Remus and ask him to come to the castle after your next Auror training session. That way Kingsley and Tonks can help. We can get Ginny, Luna, and maybe Neville. Hermione, have Susan work the hospital that night in case we need medical help,” Ron provided, already organizing everything in his head.


Ron collected his things and smiled at Harry and Hermione. Harry knew he was going to owl Remus. He waved at them as he strode out of the room and left them to study. Pig flew out to Remus quite often and was becoming rather good at delivering the mail. They had also learned that the communicative techniques on demonstrated the night of George’s attack were to be used in extreme emergencies.

“I was also wondering if you have learned anything about the Legend,” Hermione questioned hastily.


“Sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about,” Harry replied, intrigued.


“According to Hogwarts, A History,” Harry rolled his eyes at her and she smacked his shoulder before continuing, “the Founders Suite was put into existence to keep the most important lessons the founders believed in. Legend has it that should anyone ever find the answers to the lessons, the founders will grant infinite aid to that person. It was dubbed the Legend of Infinity,” Hermione prattled away.


“I hadn’t heard of it, but it sounds interesting. Maybe the next time Godric starts to flirt with Ginny, I will see if he can shed some light on the subject,” Harry responded.


He was pleased to see Gryffindor make a face at him when Hermione turned her back. None of them were exactly sure why the founders spoke to only Ginny and Harry alone, but accepted it in good-natured stride.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


After an intense hour of studying Potions, Hermione left Harry to go back to the hospital wing. Just as she was saying ‘goodbye,’ Ginny and Professor McGonagall came into the room. Hermione smiled at the two women before continuing on her way. To Harry’s surprise Hedwig was perched on his headmistress’ right shoulder.


“Do you have a letter for me, girl?” Harry asked as he reached up to his owl.


“She likes to visit me sometimes. I spoil several owls with various treats. Since she can’t run many important letters these days, I have been using her to write to Molly. I don’t have an owl of my own. I always used the school owls. I hope you don’t mind. She had just delivered Molly’s latest note when I saw Miss Weasley in the hall and decided to bring her to you. Have you written your family lately?” McGonagall asked carefully.


“I don’t mind; I’m glad she can be of use,” he paused when Hedwig ruffled her feathers proudly, “I have been writing to them through Mrs. Granger, but it is a slow process.”


“I thought as much. I believe you have a mirror that once belonged to your father?” she asked.


Harry nodded sullenly as he remembered receiving the gift from Sirius.


“I gave the other one to your aunt. Forgive my meddling, but since the attack on young Mr. Weasley, she has been quite worried about you. She is expecting you to contact her at noon tomorrow. Please use this room; I will have an elf bring up something to eat.” She pulled her thin, tight lips into a smile before she turned and left.


“Well, I never would have thought she would use someone’s owl without asking,” Ginny said with surprise.


“I don’t really mind, I think she has a soft spot for Hedwig though,” Harry mused, as he thought of Hedwig soaring down to him with a new broomstick in his first year.


“Before we get started, I’d like to know why you four only speak when Harry and I are alone,” Ginny clearly demanded Godric, who was blowing her a kiss.


“And I would like to know more about the legend Hermione mentioned,” Harry said enthusiastically.


“The legend is basically a reward for learning the things we feel are the most important lessons,” Rowena answered Harry. “As for your question, Ginny, after you have learned all our lessons, you will understand.”


“Well now, why don’t you just tell us the answers?” Ginny quipped.


“The best lessons are the ones you teach yourselves,” Helga responded mystically.


“The riddle!” Ginny exclaimed, “You have already begun the lessons! They guide us, don’t they?” She spun around to face Rowena.


“You are a very bright girl, Ginny…” she almost continued, but her voice stopped as Mr. Ollivander slid through the passage and smiled at his pupils.


“Any luck with that riddle?” he inquired with interest.


Harry and Ginny shook their heads and began to meditate. Their Occlumency training had improved greatly in the short period of time. Now, they could meditate and call on their body of strength quickly and still keep their minds sharp. Mr. Ollivander had taken to trying to penetrate their minds while they meditated so they could feel a foreign presence. In his absence, they had begun trying to invade each other’s minds but so far had yet to manage anything other than a blinding headache. The hours progressed and soon they said their goodbyes to Mr. Ollivander.


Though their lesson had gone as well as any other, Harry found himself somewhat distracted. Helga had said Ginny was a bright girl. It was a small compliment and made Ginny smile, but something about it lingered. Ginny had said the founders used the riddles to guide them in the most important lessons. What would Rowena Ravenclaw want him to know? What could a person cherish and respect only if they had achieved it themselves?


“What is desired and cherished, respected and encouraged, but can only be given to one’s self?”


Harry couldn’t explain it, but Hermione’s face swam before his eyes as he collected his belongings and began to move toward the exit. Suddenly he stopped short and Ginny walked directly into his back. Harry dropped his bag and turned to square himself with Rowena’s portrait.


“The answer to the riddle is knowledge,” he stated with clarity.


Ginny looked at him for a moment and made her own attempt.


“More than knowledge, the riddle is the lesson itself. A person should love learning, respect the knowledge of others, and teach others what they know. In the end, it comes down to the individual having the desire to learn,” she whispered sagely.


“You are correct, my dears,” Rowena smiled warmly before continuing, “You may ask us any question you like as a reward before you receive your next lesson.”


Harry looked at Ginny in surprise. He had only been guessing but in hindsight, the answer was obvious.


“What have you ever wondered about the founders, Ginny?” he all but whispered.


“I want to know why Slytherin thinks purebloods are better than Muggle-borns. I have always wondered since my first year.”


“The answer to that, my dear, is simply that I don’t anymore. When we started the school, I chose to teach those students who knew our ways and had great ambition. I didn’t have specific prejudices at the time. I fell in love with a half-blood witch in my youth; she was the daughter of a formidable Muggle-born woman. She was stunning, gentle, and above all else, loving. We wed and had a child. Only a few years after our daughter’s birth, she became pregnant again. This time it was to be a male heir to the Slytherin line. She died trying to bring him into this world, and sadly took him with her. I went mad with grief and loss. I lost my son and my lovely wife. I tried to reason she wasn’t a pureblood and her weak blood led to her demise. I was mad with rage and I left the school. Godric tried to stop me, but I turned on him; thus the infamous falling out and my legendary bigotry.”


“I never imagined that would be the story behind the man. I’m sorry if I pried; you seem so sweet in here. I simply couldn’t believe you to be so blind in your hate,” Ginny whispered apologetically.


“Do not become uneasy, child. I let my madness run away with me and I lost everything. My reputation became the one it is today. I lost my daughter, who adopted my ill beliefs, and never saw my grandchildren. Had I not been insane with loss and guilt, I would have made my daughter the center of my universe and cherished every moment I had with my wife’s legacy. My daughter, Persephone, was a replica of the woman who had her. Sleek black hair, aristocratic bone structure, and captivating violet eyes…” his voice trailed off as he gazed at the magnificent portrait opposite himself.


Rowena’s pale face pinked ever so slightly as she listened to his diatribe. Ginny and Harry quickly realized the suggestion Slytherin was making and looked back and forth between the two.


“Let them hear your lesson, Salazar,” Rowena said in a clear voice.


“What is potential?” Slytherin replied in his raspy voice.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


A few days later, Harry was still puzzled by the newest riddle. According to Hermione, potential was the measurement of a person’s current ability and the estimation of what that ability may become. But Slytherin would not want a definition out of some dictionary. He would want them to apply their understanding and take it to a higher level. Harry and Ginny were as perplexed by their newest lesson as they had been by the first.


The conversation between Harry and his Aunt had been most amusing. Though she tried to hide her shock, it was obvious she had not completely understood how they would be speaking. It was a brief chat asking after each other’s health and common acquaintances. She mentioned that Hagar was apparently giving Dudley another chance and that he was doing very well. According to Aunt Petunia, his grades were up slightly and he was doing quite well at boxing. She also explained that Harry should only try to contact her while Uncle Vernon was at work. Apparently, that Sunday he had a meeting with a new colleague. She mentioned the man was very odd, with cold eyes and a hideous wife. She said when they had met them for dinner at a very chic restaurant, the wife, Trixie, kept muttering under her breath, while the man, Fin, hardly acknowledged Aunt Petunia at all.


The following week, she contacted Harry over lunch and asked him to send Hedwig along so she could talk to Mrs. Weasley about getting together for the holidays. Harry agreed, but was nervous. Uncle Vernon surely would not like such a plan; nonetheless, he agreed to send Hedwig out the next day after breakfast.


On Wednesday, Remus, Tonks, Kinsley, Ron, Harry, Hermione, Neville, Fred, Percy, Krum, Molly, Bill, Fleur, and McGonagall all crowded into the Room of Requirement. Harry had asked Molly and McGonagall to shield the group while everyone summoned the teacup. Ron had asked Neville to join them and insisted he be the one to help Harry actually destroy the cup. Harry and Neville would wait until the cup was being evenly pulled before they attempted to bombard the cup and destroy it.


It was most perplexing that when they removed the shields from the cup, Harry felt no pain. He wondered why, but as soon as the question crossed his mind, the image of Molly Weasley appeared in his mind. Her dark, soft eyes and trim figure weren’t exactly a replica of the woman, who was chatting with Fleur, but it was his image of strength and it was keeping him from the unbearable pain.


Ron and Fred were the first to summon the small porcelain cup, after Molly and Professor McGonagall readied themselves to shield anyone. Once it was balanced between them, Hermione and Remus joined. After them, Tonks and Kingsley cast their charms. Next were Bill and Fleur, followed by Krum and Percy. It was a slow process, but they managed to balance the cup between the ten of them.


A reddish haze began to seep from the cup, and Harry threw a tentative hex at it. Though he wasn’t sure if it had worked, he was perfectly aware that something was working. He and Neville shot many curses, hexes, and spells at it in order to completely destroy it. Finally, after an exhausted “Barragio!” from both of them, the cup cracked.


The haze turned from a gaseous phenomenon to the thickness of blood, and it oozed from several tiny cracks in the cup. The magic of the Horcrux pulled into the cup and shot out at all the people. Molly and McGonagall were able to hold a shield over most everyone, but Ron had to dive in front of Fleur to keep a jagged edge of the cup from hitting her. The cup shattered and as the pieces flew at them, they grew dangerously large. The piece left an offending gash in Ron’s left shoulder, and had to be pulled out of the wound.


At long last, the cup let off a shrill hiss and it disintegrated into dust, leaving nothing but smoke in its place. Hermione examined Ron’s shoulder and patched him up quickly, but decided to take him to the hospital wing to get him a painkilling potion. Everyone else cleaned themselves up and left to enjoy some tea in the Headmistress’ office.


While Molly moved around the room pouring tea, Ron entered the office with Madam Pomfrey.


“I have left the girls in charge of the hospital wing, Headmistress,” she began, “Miss Bones is tending to Mr. Malfoy, and Miss Granger is in the office. I have to go to into London to retrieve supplies for some more Pepper-up Potion. I shan’t be gone an hour,” she said as she fastened her cloak.


With a smile and a wave, McGonagall acknowledged Madam Pomfrey and returned to the people in her office. It was quick and insignificant, and Madam Pomfrey swept out of the castle as she had a hundred times before without so much as a second thought. And it was the last time her friends and patients would see her alive.

Reviews 268
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear