Search:

SIYE Time:5:04 on 16th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Weddings, Motherly Advice, and Pining
By shecomesapart

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Other, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley, Nymphadora Tonks
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 41
Summary: "What do you want after all of this?" "I don't know, never really thought about it. What about you, what do you want?" "I want a house in the middle of no where, a yard full of kids, a big black dog that we call Snuffles. You."
Hitcount: Story Total: 5837







ChapterPrinter


A/N: I do not claim to be JK Rowling, nor am I making any money off of this.

This is my first Post-HBP work, I needed a little break from Happily Ever.... Especially after the notebook I use to jot down ideas was destroyed when a soda opened in my purse and soaked it. :( but my first Post-HBP chapter of that work should be up sometime this week, although I'll keep it in that little universe to make myself feel better after the HBP ending. I hope you enjoy this piece





It was the day before Bill and Fleur’s wedding, and unlike Fleur’s sister Gabrielle, who was helping with all the arrangements, Ginny Weasley was up in her room, sulking. It also had a little to do with the fact that all Gabrielle could go on about was “‘Aree,” who happened to be the exact reason why she was sulking. Protective git as he was.

It had been 2 weeks, 3 days, and 9 hours since she last saw him. And tomorrow, he would be here. For a few days. Ron didn’t specify in his letter. Not that she got a letter anyway. No, they were off to do more important things. What, she didn’t know. She had a sinking suspicion her mother knew, but wouldn’t tell her, in fear that her youngest (and only) daughter would run off with them.

Like she would. She knew when she wasn’t wanted.

But that was the thing. She was wanted. And she knew that. And she knew he knew that too. It wasn’t that Harry didn’t love her, she was sure he did. Loved her so much he didn’t want to lose her, and that’s why she was here, and he was there.

She started chewing on her nails, which was sure to piss off Fleur. She was starting to like the French girl, but in her opinion, no one was ever good enough for Bill. At least Fleur and her family would be in London until the wedding tomorrow, so she didn’t have to deal with little Gabrielle. She had only begrudgingly allowed it to slip to Hermione that she was the only girl she ever thought good enough for Ron. And she did it in front of Lavender, just to be spiteful. Stupid boys.

“Ginny, dear, there’s a letter for you!” Her mum yelled up the stairs. “And Remus and Tonks are here as well!” Ginny started to smile, Remus and Tonks never failed to cheer her up. And the letter...it could be from Harry. She ran downstairs, towards the kitchen, to find Hedwig sitting at the table with Remus, Tonks, and her mother. She could feel her heart burst. Hedwig. It could be Harry. He could have written me... she thought, heading towards the snowy white owl and the letter. She grabbed it quickly, ignoring everyone in the room. He finally wrote, he finally...it was Hermione’s handwriting. Her heart sunk.

“Well?” Tonks asked, smiling at her. Ginny smiled half-heartedly, and much to her horror, felt the tears well up in her eyes.

“It’s umm..it’s from Hermione.” Remus swore loudly in response, which caused her mother to break a dish.

“Remus!” she scolded, while Tonks started to laugh. He turned slightly red, before turning to Ginny.

“Sorry, it was just that we were there the other day, attempting to talk him into going back to Hogwarts...Ginny, he literally has a stack of letter’s next to his bed, all addressed to you.” He paused looking for a reaction, but she just took a deep breath. “I told him that if he didn’t send them to you soon, I would start stealing them and giving them to you. And, I really like you Ginny, but he’s getting scary powerful, so I don’t really want to fight him anytime soon...”

“Don’t worry, the only one that will fight him over this will be me.” She said quietly. She looked down at the letter in her hands. “Do you all mind if I kip up stairs to read this?” Her mother looked like she was about to argue, but then Tonks smiled at her.

“It’s fine, we were only just dropping by, weren’t we? We still need to get a wedding present for tomorrow.” Remus looked distracted for a few moments, then nodded quickly.

“Yeah.”


Ginny entered her room, closing the door lightly behind her and then sat on her bed, fiddling with the letter in her hands.
First time she had heard from Hermione too, now that she thought about it. Maybe I should just ignore it. But curiosity got the better of Ginny, and she opened the letter quickly.

Ginny,

How are you? And I won’t accept an “I’m fine,” because I know you aren’t. Of course, that’s even if you write back.

Things are going well here. I swear, it must be the first time ever that your brother is focused on his work. Harry — well, I’ll get to him later.

It’s amazing the amount of books they have here. So many volumes on subjects and topics that the Hogwarts library would never have. That’s really what I’ve been doing, spending my time researching. I’d love to join the boys for practical, but they seem to want to keep me safe. Of course you know about that.

Harry has thrown himself into this training I’m worried about him. And he’s hellbent on going afer Snape, and I think he’s planning on doing it alone. When he’s not training or reading — he’s — he’s writing letters to you. And I know he hasn’t sent them, which makes me kind of worried that they’re letters to give to you should anything happen to him. But even if he hasn’t sent them, doesn’t mean he doesn’t miss you. Because he does. And he’s worried about you. He and Ron got in a terrible argument the other day. Ron think’s he’s being a prat. Of course, so do I, but I can’t help but see his reasoning. He’s lost everyone he’s ever loved — his parents, Sirius, Dumbledore — he just doesn’t want to lose you either. He’s an idiot — but look at his best friend. Not me - Ron. Men are idiots.

I can’t wait to see you at the wedding. I hope Phlegm — I mean Fleur, isn’t driving you crazy. But that’s all for me, Ron wants to add something. See you soon.
Love,
Hermione


G in —

Give me permission and I’ll beat the crap out of him. He may be my best friend, but you’re my sister. And I love you. It’s kind of weird not arguing with you this summer, but I swear I’ll make it up to you at the wedding. We can argue about Quidditch and how overprotective I am of you. Save me a dance though, alright.
- Ron

P.S. Harry tells me to tell you he says “hello.”
Really, I can punch him in the face before he realizes it’s coming.



Ginny crumpled up the letter in her hands, the tears running down her face. She curled up on her bed, and cried until she fell asleep. A nap always put things into perspective.




Ginny awoke to the gentle tapping sounds of someone at her door. She sat up groggily, rubbing her eyes.

“Come in.” She said, yawning. Both Tonks and her mother entered the room, Molly choose to sit on the rickety rocking chair that Ginny kept in her room, and Tonks next to Ginny on the bed.

“Remus has gone to get the three of them, bring them here early.” Molly said quietly. Ginny looked down at her hands, suddenly feeling 10 years old again. She couldn’t do this. She couldn’t be in the same room with him, listening to him laugh, hearing his voice...she thought she could be strong and do this, but she couldn’t.

“Can we say I’m not feeling well? Or better yet, I’m in London with Fleur?” Tonks laughed softly.

“How much do you know about Remus and my relationship?” Ginny looked up at Tonks, totally confused.

“Not much, and no offense Tonks, but what does this have to do with anything?”

“Just, listen to me for a few minutes. It has to do with everything.” Tonks told her. Her mother nodded.

“Ok.” She said, sitting up.

“I met Remus when I was four. It was the first time I had met Sirius too, now that I think about it. Sirius brought him and James to my house for New Years, I think. And Lily. It was their last year at Hogwarts, and Sirius’s first since he moved out, and so my mum told them all to come. And I was four, and James and Sirius thought they would entertain me by playing jokes and things like that, but I know you probably won’t believe it, but I was a serious child. And then James and Lily had to leave to spend the evening with her parents, and so it was just Sirius, Remus, my mum, my dad and I. And I took out a book and started to read, I think it was the Chronicles of Narnia or something like that. Anyway, Remus asked me if I liked the book, and we started talking. And he treated me like a big kid, and I kind of fell in love with him then.” Ginny let out a giggle.

“But you were four!” She said.

“Yes, I was. And then, 3 years later, I saw him again at Sirius’ brother’s funeral. He went with Sirius to keep him calm, as did James. And the lot of us blood traitors and half bloods, and freaks, as my Auntie Bella so loved to call me...we were together. And again, Remus and I talked about books. And I still loved him. So fast forward 19, 20 years, and we meet up again with the Order. And that’s when I really knew. And it’s when he did too. And neither of us let anything happen, at least, until after...” Tonks took a deep breath. “Well, after we dropped Harry off with the Dursley’s something finally did happen. And it was wonderful, and I thought everything was going to be good for now. But then, well, Remus pushed me away. He was too old, too poor, a werewolf, and I was too good for that. So Order meetings became awkward, I’d come here to have a good cry and a chat with your mum, and then try to talk to him, and then start the cycle all over again. And then it finally worked, but well, the lot of you helped.”

“So you know exactly...”

“What’s going on between you and Harry. Yeah, I guess I do. So really, Ginny, your mum and I think that what you should do is have a good cry before they get here, and then go down there, and act like nothings changed.” Tonks told her. Her mother then looked up at her.

“Ginny, he’ll come around. And you know that too. He just wants to protect you, and keep you safe. But he’s being a bit of an idiot. Then again, most men in love are idiots.” She got up and softly kissed her daughter on the top of her head. “Come on Tonks, I’m going to need some help setting the table.”




Ginny came down the stairs right as her family was arriving. Instead of crying like Tonks and her mum had suggested, She took a shower and did her hair, and changed into a light summer dress. Green, to match his eyes. And if he didn’t get that hint he was blind. Charlie was the first to arrive, then the twins, then Bill, and then to everyone’s surprise, Percy. Her father was next. Finally, Remus, Hermione, Ron, and Harry entered the Burrow. Ginny’s heart clenched painfully in her chest as she looked at Harry. She smiled softly at the trio as everyone rushed to greet them. She stood quietly in the background, looking down at her hands. She knew Harry was looking at her. Her mum must have sensed her distress as the crowd left them alone, so she called dinner before Ginny had to greet them.





Ginny sat next to Tonks and her mother, and across from Bill outside, while Harry, Ron, and Hermione sat on the opposite end of the table. She would look up occasionally to find Ron and Harry in heavy conversation, with Ron getting more and more irate, and Harry more and more tired looking.

“So, Ginny, what have you been doing since school ended?” Hermione asked. Ginny looked up quickly, caught unawares. Harry did the same thing, looking right at Ginny.

“Wedding stuff. I’ve had to walk around in impossibly high heels for the past week so I don’t trip while walking down the isle. Of course, Remus, you’re my escort, right?” He nodded. “Then I’m not so nervous, you’re used to having a woman on your arm who’s a klutz.” Remus started to laugh, while Tonks turned red.

“That’s true. But then again, Dora’s never in heels, it’s always flats.”

“Could you not make fun of me, old man?” Ginny heard Harry laugh slight at this. Their eyes caught again, and she smiled at him widely. she would not let him get to her. Not before her brother's wedding.





The evening went by quickly, with Ginny and Harry spending as little time as possible talking to each other. It was just too hard. And now it was 2 in the morning, and Harry was wide awake. Mrs. Weasley had given him Percy’s old room, which was right across the hall from Ginny. Part of him wanted to take out a pair of Extendable Ears, just to listen to her breath, but then another wild idea sprung into his mind.

He had spent the past 2 weeks absolutely miserable, not only because of Dumbledore's death, but because of Ginny. Because he missed her more than he thought humanly possible. He had even realized that he loved her. He loved her more than he had ever thought possible.

He got out of bed, and took his invisibility cloak out of his trunk, placing it over him. Ginny was the heaviest sleeper he had ever met. They had fallen asleep one night in the Common Room together, and when Harry had woken up a few hours later, it had taken him at least 20 minutes to wake up Ginny. So if he were just to sneak into her room, she would never know.

He quietly padded across the hall, and slowly entered her room. She was curled up to one side, sleeping peacefully. She looked beautiful. He knew that since he was already invading her private space, he really should just sit there, and look at her. But the less rational part of him told him to lie down next to her. To hold her in his arms as he did before, to be with her before reality would set in and they would be apart again.

So very quietly, he slid into her bed, wrapping his arm very lightly around her waist. He heard her sigh, and felt her snuggle against him. He could feel the beating of his heart, the steady rise and fall of her breath, and he knew that she was real. And that even tomorrow morning, when they would go back to being horribly polite to each other, or even ignoring each other, he knew that they were real. And that when it was all over this would still be here.




The wedding, to Harry, went by quickly. Maybe it was because he had been staring at Ginny the entire time, who looked gorgeous in her gold gown. He hadn’t even noticed the ceremony had ended, and the reception would soon be beginning until Ron told him to move. Ron started to talk, but he couldn’t hear a word he was saying, Ginny was talking quietly with her father, smiling. And then Bill and Fleur re-entered the garden, and Ginny ran to meet the two of them, but not before nearly tripping on her own two feet. He could still smell her hair, and feel her breathing, even though he had woke up more than 10 hours ago to run back to his room. Suddenly, the sound of Ron’s voice brought him back to the real world.

“Harry, mate, are you listening to me?”

“No, I’m sorry, what?”

“I was just asking if you were going to dance later?” Ron asked with a slight laugh.

“Umm...”

“Because mum wants to dance with all her boys, and that includes you. And I know that Fleur, and Hermione...and I think Ginny.” Both looked over at Hermione, who was now chatting with Ginny and Tonks.

“Ron, I can’t...”

“Yeah, you can’t and that’s why you snuck into her room last night?” Ron told his friend sarcastically. Harry blushed at this.

“How...”

“I came to check to see if you were having any nightmares mate...and you left the door to Ginny’s room opened. Harry, just tell her you love her. I know she says she understands...but it’s not good for either of you.”

“I can’t let anything happen to her...”

“Harry, she’s a Weasley. She was a target before you. She’s a target after you. And you honestly think that Malfoy or Snape didn’t mention that you were together?”

“Ron...” Harry said weakly. He had a point.

“Just think about it Harry. I hate seeing my best mate this miserable, and even worst, I hate seeing my little sister that miserable.”

“Ok.”




Dinner was a grand affair, Mrs. Weasley had gone all out for the small reception. Harry watched as Fleur and Bill danced for the first time as man and wife, and then as Fleur danced with her father. He could see Ginny dabbing tears from her eyes as Bill and her mother danced together. And then he watched, with a very tiny hint of jealously, as Ginny and Remus danced together.

“Looks like his taste in women is getting younger and younger.” Tonks said as she slipped into the seat next to Harry. Harry turned around and stared at her, and she started to laugh. “Relax Harry. I’m kidding.”

“I know.”

“She looks beautiful, doesn’t she?”

“Yeah. Yeah she does.” Harry said quietly.

“You know, its events like this we’re fight for. Happiness like this.” She said quietly. “Think about it.” Why was everyone telling him to think about it?



Harry was talked into dancing with Tonks, Hermione, Fleur, and even her sister (who, for a little girl, was incredibly forward). He was about to sit down again, to watch Ginny as she danced with her brothers, but was stopped by Mrs. Weasley.

“I’d like to dance with all my boys, if you don’t mind...” she said.

“But..”

“Harry, you’re one of mine just as much as the others.” she told him. Harry nodded, then headed out to the dance floor with Mrs. Weasley in tow.

“I’m not very good at dancing.”

“That’s ok.” she said, laughing. Over her shoulder, Harry noticed Ginny slip into the Burrow. “She loves you very much, you know.” Harry looked down at his feet.

“Yeah, I guess I do.”

“And you love her too.” He nodded, not knowing what else to say. He had never said those words out loud, not to anyone, and wasn’t about to start. If he was to say it to anyone, it was Ginny. “Keeping her at arms length Harry, pushing her away to keep her safe...it doesn’t work like that. You’ll still love her, and she’ll still love you. And that’s something You - Know -Who and all his Death Eaters will never understand.” For some reason, although Ron, Hermione, Remus, all of them had told him the same thing, it had only just sunk in. He needed her.

“Thanks Mrs. Weasley.” he said as the song ended. He leaned down and kissed her on the cheek as the song ended, and then headed into the house. He needed to find Ginny.




Ginny was sitting on the steps leading upstairs, a glass of champagne in her hands, staring into space. She heard someone enter the house, and then the sound of footsteps. Footsteps that she knew so well. Harry entered the room, saw her, and sat down next to her on the steps. The pair sat in silence, close together on the old rickety steps. Ginny was the first to speak.

“What do you want after all of this?”

“After all of what?” Harry responded.

“After the war.”

“I don’t know, never really thought about it. What about you, what do you want?” He watched as she took a small sip of her champagne, and noticed that she made a slight face as it went down.

“Too sweet.” She told him, then sighed. “I want a house in the middle of no where, a yard full of kids, a big black dog that we call Snuffles. You.” She said softly. She took a deep breath, and placed her head on his shoulder. “Mostly you. Or whatever you want. And I can wait if I have to. I mean, I thought I could understand why, but I can’t really. But if I have to wait, I will. It won’t be easy, but I will.” Harry took her hand.

“I don’t want you to wait.” he said softly. “I don’t know why I thought I could, but I can’t do this without you.”

“Are you coming back to school?”

“I don’t know. We might. It’s not going to be the same though.”

“Nothing’s supposed to stay the same though. Everything changes. You’ve changed, haven’t you? I mean, you’re not the same boy who asked us how to get on the platform at Kings Cross 7 years ago. And I’m not the same girl who ran after the train.”

“Will things change between us?”

“I don’t know. They might. But I don’t think they’ll change for the worst, if that’s what you’re asking. What we have, even if we don’t...it’s too strong to break, you know?”

“Even if we don’t what, Gin?”
“Even if we don’t say it.”

“That could change though.”

“What do you mean?”

“We could start saying it?” Ginny looked up at him, searching his face. “I love you.” He said quietly. She smiled.

“I love you too.” Without another word, Harry leaned down and kissed her gently. After a few seconds, Ginny pulled away, giggling. “Come on, let’s get back to the wedding.”

“Can’t we just stay here?”

“No, they’ll come looking for us. And it's bad enough Ron knows you snuck into my room last night.”

"You knew?"

"Of course I did. I may sleep like the dead, but I know when someone is in the room. And, you left your invisibility cloak in my room."

"Oh. Right. Forgot about that." He said, smiling at her. He leaned down and kissed her softly.

"What now?"

“Dance with me then?”

“Ok.”

“For the rest of the night?”

“Yeah.”



"Really mum, we should meddle more often." Ron said, looking at his best friend and his sister leave the house hand in hand.

"Oh, you think it works that well, do you?" Mrs. Weasley said laughing. She shared a look with Tonks.

"So what's going on with you and Hermione, anyway?" Tonks asked. Ron's ears turned a dangerous shade of red.


Harry held Ginny close on the dance floor, not wanting to let her go. This was real, and this was what he was fighting for. And he imagined that one day, it would be their wedding, their reception, and they would live happily ever after.







Reviews 41
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear