Search:

SIYE Time:7:55 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


In the Mind's Eye
By KEDme

- Text Size +

Category: Dream Adventure Challenge (2005-3)
Characters:None
Genres: General
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 32
Summary: Harry's had another rough year and now it's time for him to return to Privet Drive for the final time. An unexpected turn of events may make the long summer a little less painful.
Hitcount: Story Total: 5033







ChapterPrinter


In the Mind’s Eye

Finding an empty compartment was not easy, especially as he was one of the last to arrive. Hopefully, Harry told himself, Ron and Hermione had gotten one. He hadn’t meant to be late but Dumbledore had insisted Harry speak to him about his summer arrangements, and then Hagrid had stopped him just before he got on the carriages to say a quick good-bye. All in all, it was fine by him if he never got on the train. He was headed back to the Dursleys for hopefully the last time, and missing the train would be just perfect. Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia could wait on the platform all night for him for all he cared — not that they would. Still, it was a nice dream.

As he dragged his school trunk and Hedwig’s cage along the corridor, he stopped at every compartment to look for his friends, but quickly moved on when he didn’t find them. It was difficult not to feel uncomfortable at the stares he was getting from the other students, especially the younger ones. It hadn’t been that long since the article in the Daily Prophet had broken about the Prophecy, and many of the students still stared at him in awe mixed with more than a little fright. Voldemort’s grip on the wizarding world was getting stronger every day and, although Harry had finally mastered Occlumency this year, it was unnerving to not know what his plans were. Dumbledore was taking no chances after the botched kidnapping attempt earlier in the month, and Harry knew that Order members and Aurors were everywhere. Thankfully the new Minister of Magic was much more cooperative than Fudge had been, and Harry’s safety was top priority — especially since the Prophecy was made public.

Trudging along and meticulously checking each compartment finally paid off when he spotted something very familiar. It was red. Weasley hair red — and it didn’t belong to Ron. Harry’s stomach did that familiar flip when he saw it because he knew what that meant. Ginny was here, too.

The problem with Ginny had been growing on him all year and he was clueless about what to do about it. It had started last summer at Spinner’s End, the cottage where they had all spent the summer before his sixth year at Hogwarts. It had been the best summer of Harry’s life and exactly what he needed after his terrible fifth year. For once, no one pressured him to talk about his feelings or got upset when he yelled. They knew after Sirius’ death that he needed to be treated normally, but they also expected him to be irritable and brooding so they gave him a wide berth and just let him do what he needed to do. It didn’t hurt that his stay at the Dursleys was the shortest yet, a pleasant surprise to him when he was picked up a week before his 16th birthday.

At first it was just Harry, Ron, Ginny, and Mrs. Weasley with various Order members rotating in and out for security. But eventually Hermione and all of the Weasleys (except Percy, of course) had come. Percy had since apologized to the family, but at that time he was still in the hip pocket of the Minister. With only Ron and Ginny there, things had seemed normal at first. He had known Ginny for a long time, but because she had never talked around him, he felt like he was getting to really know her for the first time. It turned out she was witty and smart, she could beat the pants off Ron in chess (which Harry found very amusing), she loved to play practical jokes (but never at the expense of someone’s feelings) and sneak into the kitchen at night, and she looked amazing in a bikini — a fact that Harry certainly never shared with Ron. Once Hermione had come, he found himself alone with Ginny quite a lot, actually. It was during those times that he really got to know her and things went from normal to weird. They’d talk for hours on end — sometimes all night — about everything and nothing. Ron was right about that too… Ginny loved to talk. He couldn’t believe he had never known that about her. How had he missed what an amazing person she was? Pretty soon, he began looking for Ginny first thing and seeking her out in favour of spending time with Ron and Hermione. He didn’t even realise he was doing it until Ron brought it up one night. Of course, Harry denied having any sort of feelings for Ginny. He didn’t know at the time that she had overheard his vehement denial that she most certainly was NOT his girlfriend nor would she ever be, and had been understandably hurt at the tone of his voice. She ignored him after that, and he had gotten quite cross about it because he didn’t know why she was treating him so coldly. It wasn’t until months later that he found out what had happened, but by then the damage had been done.

His problems only got worse after that. It started anew as soon as they got back to Hogwarts, and his name was Dean Thomas. Harry had forgotten that Ginny and Dean were dating. She had certainly never mentioned him all summer, although according to Ginny she had — Harry just always changed the subject or chose not to listen. They had a big argument about that and Harry had landed himself in detention for losing control of his temper and blasting Draco Malfoy (who saw it all and just couldn’t refrain from commenting) unconscious. After that, he was in hot water with practically everyone. Even Ron and Hermione were less than sympathetic about his childish behaviour. Dean, especially, was under the mistaken assumption that Harry was trying to steal away his girlfriend and the interaction among the sixth year boys had been tense for most of the year as a result.

It got even worse once Quidditch officially started. Ginny joined the team as a Chaser, which meant that their problems eventually began to affect the entire team. Ron, who had been moderately tolerant of his best friend and sister’s bickering, finally had enough and took drastic measures to see that the two of them sorted out their differences. He arranged for them to get locked inside the broom cupboard together for several hours and forced them to talk. Once they had stopped fighting with each other, they had a pretty good time and eventually came to an agreement to stay friends no matter what. After that, Harry felt much better but things didn’t really improve with Dean until after Christmas when he and Ginny broke up. Neither blamed the other for the break-up and soon after Dean started dating a fifth year Ravenclaw. Harry had a feeling that Dean didn’t like the fact that he had spent yet another holiday with the Weasley family, although Ginny insisted that she and Dean just never connected; eventually, she said, it became obvious to them both that they were better off friends. Harry had hoped that things would go back to normal between them, but that didn’t happen. One thing or another always stood in their way and nothing had been resolved other than the awkward truce they had established since the broom cupboard incident.

Then Voldemort had almost succeeded in kidnapping Harry. It had taken him two days to find his way out of the Forbidden Forest, and by that time everyone was sure he was dead. In reality, he had come close to dying several times during the ordeal but something always kept him going. After a week in the hospital wing in which he had been visited by everyone except Ginny, exams had come on him so fast he hadn’t had time to dwell on her much. He knew she was busy with OWLs so he tried not to take it too personally when she didn’t come, but a part of his heart that he didn’t even know existed hurt when he thought she didn’t care enough to come see him. He had avoided her ever since.

But here she was, surrounded by all his friends. They had found one of the larger compartments, from the looks of it. Ron and Neville were setting up the chess set, Hermione, Lavender, and Ginny were huddled around a magazine, Seamus was flirting with Luna, who was humming an odd little tune and ignoring him, and no one even noticed that he was standing there in the doorway trying to decide if he should enter or not.

As it happened, Neville took the decision out of his hand. “Harry! There you are. What took you so long? We were beginning to think the train left without you.”

All conversation in the compartment stopped as they became aware that he was there and Harry wholeheartedly wished he had just found a dark corner in a compartment all by himself to hide away in.

“Dumbledore wanted to see me. You know… about summer plans and all,” he said, hoping they didn’t ask.

Ron grabbed Hedwig’s cage from him. “Well, come on! Don’t just stand there all day. Neville and I set up the chess board already. He only agreed to play with me until you got here. Seems he thinks I’m not a fair match.”

Harry couldn’t help grinning. “You’re not. No one likes to lose, Ron. I only subject myself to it because we’re best mates and I know how moody and sullen you get when no one will play with you.”

“Moody and sullen, huh?” Ron said, grinning. “That’s rich coming from you, mate.”

Harry ducked his head. He’d walked into that one, he knew. He literally felt the entire compartment suck in their breath waiting to see how he’d respond. In the past, a statement like that — even in jest — would have had him storming out in a snit, but he’d learned to take life less seriously recently. His recent brushes with death had made him realise exactly how much his friends meant to him and so he offered Ron a half-hearted chuckle. “Good one Ron!” he said sarcastically. “But my moods are nothing compared to yours when you haven’t been able to get Hermione alone for awhile.”

Now it was Ron’s turn to be embarrassed, although the tension in the compartment decreased dramatically, despite Hermione’s shrill admonitions that it was absolutely not true.

Harry flashed her a smile. “You don’t think he’d actually complain to you, do you? No… he waits till everyone else is trying to sleep and then goes on and on about how he’ll just die if he doesn’t get to spend any time with you soon. It’s pathetic, really.”

Not one to be left out of the action, Seamus piped in, “And he’s really loud about it, too. Right disgusting, isn’t it Neville?”

“Er… yeah,” Neville stammered, clearly not wanting to get involved. “But he doesn’t do it often.”

That statement had Ginny perking up her ears. “Doesn’t do what often, Neville?” she asked innocently. Harry could see the evil glint in her eyes and knew she was trying to wind Ron up further. “I have six brothers, remember? I’d say they do it a lot, if you ask me.”

Seamus laughed heartily and even Lavender and Hermione couldn’t help but giggle at the effect Ginny’s comment had on Ron. He was spluttering and huffing and his face had gone from pink to bright red.

“You don’t think I… well, I don’t… You knew where my hands were, you gits!” he shouted indignantly.

“It’s really quite natural, Ronald,” Luna said in perfect sincerity. “It’s nothing to be ashamed of, really.”

“At least I have a girlfriend, Potter!” Ron yelled angrily. “And you!” he said, whirling on Ginny. “You should watch what you say, or I might have to tell Mum!”

Ginny arched an eyebrow, unperturbed, “If the wand fits….”

“Relax, Ron,” Harry said, laughing. “Ginny’s just winding you up. Aren’t you, Ginny?” he asked, looking at her directly for the first time in weeks.

He was surprised to see her blush and look down at her hands which were clutching the magazine tightly, but she composed herself quickly and said, “Sorry, Ron… I couldn’t resist. Harry’s right. I was just winding you up. It’s been such a stressful few weeks with exams and…,” her eyes flickered to Harry, “…everything, I just thought we could all use a nice laugh. I didn’t mean to humiliate you.”

“Yeah,” Harry added. “I’m sorry, too.”

“Me too,” Seamus said.

“They were only joking, Ron,” Hermione said, her lips still fighting a smile. She seemed to be almost happy at the thought that he was pining away for her.

His eyes softened. “Fine, apology accepted. Now, how about we get off this subject and start that game, Harry?” he asked, nudging Harry towards the chess board.

“I have a better idea,” Ginny said suddenly, her eyes glued to the magazine.

“What?” Lavender asked, looking over her shoulder to see what had her so intrigued. “Oooo… it’s one of those get-to-know-you-better articles!” she squealed, clapping her hands like a five year old.

All the boys in the compartment rolled their eyes simultaneously. Ron turned back to the chess board. “No thank you,” he said curtly.

“Actually, Ron, those questions can be quite informative,” Hermione said with authority.

“And how would you know?” he retorted boorishly.

Hermione bristled but it was Ginny who answered. “She knows because we do this all the time, don’t we Hermione?”

“Do what?” Harry asked. He was interested in spite of the fact he had wanted nothing more than a quiet train ride home.

“It’s just something we girls like to do sometimes. We get together on Friday nights once a month and play these silly games. It’s really fun,” Ginny gushed. “We stay up late, do each other’s hair and make-up…”

“Talk about boys,” Lavender sighed, making both Hermione and Ginny blush but everyone else except for Luna straighten up and pay attention. Harry, for one, was wondering exactly who they had discussed, and for that matter what they had discussed. More importantly, did it have anything to do with him?

“Well, honestly!” Hermione said, shooting Lavender a warning glare. “There’s more to it than that!”

Ginny and Lavender exchanged guilty looks, but Hermione persisted. “Answering open-ended questions can really help you get to know people. It’s fascinating, really, how no two people are alike. Everyone answers these questions differently, and how you answer can really be like a window into the individual psyche.”

“Plus, they’re fun,” Lavender added for good measure.

“Wait a minute!” Ron exclaimed, as if he was just figuring something out. “Did you say on Fridays? Once a month?”

Hermione shifted her eyes, but Ginny answered. “Yes.”

Ron turned on Hermione, pointing his finger accusingly. “You said you had a study thing!”

Hermione smoothed out her robes. “I did not. You just assumed it was a study thing.”

“And you never bothered to correct me, did you?”

“Well…no,” Hermione said but countered with, “…but as I recall, this was the same time you were manoeuvring to have a poker night with the boys.” She looked at all of them pointedly in turn.

“How’d you know about…” Ron stammered, flabbergasted. He turned to Harry. “Did you tell her?”

Harry shook his head. They had deliberately avoided telling Hermione about it because they didn’t want to hear her lecture them about the evils of gambling. It was a new thing this year, designed to take their minds off the war and Harry’s problems, to try to be kids for one night a month. Harry hadn’t even told Ginny, mostly because they weren’t speaking at the time. Harry suspected it was Ron, Seamus, and Neville’s way of trying to get Harry and Dean to resolve their issues. It hadn’t been very successful, through. Once or twice they had ended up coming to near blows, but more often than not they tried to put aside their differences for that one night and pretend to get along for the sake of the others. Firewhiskey hadn’t hurt, either. Harry found out later that Ron and Seamus had spiked the butterbeer on several occasions to get them to loosen up and have fun. It worked. Harry turned out to be a horrible poker player — he was usually just too distracted — but always had fun losing; luckily, he could afford to lose anyway. Ron, however, found he had a knack for the game. He was always chuffed to have extra pocket money for holidays and Hogsmeade weekends.

Ginny pulled out a long, flesh coloured string from her pocket. “Do these ring a bell?” she asked innocently.

Ron’s eyes widened and all the boys exchanged looks of surprise. “You were spying on us!”

“Am I, or am I not, a Weasley?” she said, shrugging her shoulders. “We all knew something was up with you lot, but nobody would tell us anything. So we took it upon ourselves to find out the truth. Lucky for you, it turned out to be a good thing. We started our own little girls’ night at the same time, and it became quiet popular.”

“Did everyone but us know about this?” Ron asked the other boys, who all looked like it was news to them as well.

“I didn’t,” Luna said offhandedly, not sounding in the least like she cared.

Ginny looked at her apologetically. “I wanted to invite you, Luna, but it was held in our dorms. I’m sorry.”

Luna waved her off. “That’s alright,” she said. “Fridays are the nights I spend trying to communicate with my Numinous Guide Bird, anyway.”

Hermione blinked, but Harry was confused. “Sorry?” he asked. “What’s a Numinous Guide Bird?”

“It’s the entity that guides my spirit here on earth,” she said matter-of-factly.

“Oh,” was all Harry could think to say.

“Well, go on then,” Ron said impatiently. “What’s this article all about?”

“Interested now, are you?” Ginny teased.

“Just curious, that’s all,” Ron said defensively, his ears turning slightly pink.

“Hmm…” she mused knowingly, “well, to satisfy your curiosity, Ron, it says: You’re about to take the vacation of your dreams. Tell what you would do if money, knowledge, or skill were not a problem or issue.

“That’s it?” Ron practically yelled, sounding disgusted.

“What did you expect?” Ginny asked crossly.

“I don’t know… something more exciting than that, I suppose.”

Harry thought he could be imagining it, but Hermione, Ginny, and Lavender all seemed to share a secret look.

“There’s a little more to it than that,” Hermione said quietly.

“What do you mean?” Harry found himself asking.

“There’s a spell that goes along with it,” Hermione added. “It’s not as strong as Veritaserum, but it is highly persuasive. It makes the person under it tell the truth.”

“Why would someone lie?” Harry asked, confused. “It’s just a vacation.”

Again, that look between the girls. Harry was sure of it this time, and began to feel slightly uncomfortable, like they knew something he did not.

“Sometimes people’s fantasies are rather private, if you get my meaning,” Lavender said suggestively.

Now it was the boys’ turn to share a look, and Harry knew exactly what the other boys were thinking.

“I’m in,” Seamus said quickly.

“Me, too,” Ron said just as eagerly.

“Neville?” Ginny asked. “Do you want to play?”

“Er…” he said hesitantly. “Sure. Why not?”

Then she turned to Harry and he thought his heart would stop in his chest. His breath hitched painfully, but he tried his best to cover by faking a small cough.

Ginny didn’t seem to notice. “Harry?” she asked.

“Er… okay.”

She flashed him a luminous smile. “Excellent!” she said, and Harry thought she sounded extremely pleased. He wasn’t sure why he was so pleased that she was happy, but he felt the warming in his chest all the same and knew he had a goofy smile of his own on his face.

“Luna?”

“I’d love to,” she said dreamily. “And I know the perfect place.”

“Want to go first, then?” Ginny asked her.

“Certainly,” Luna said confidently. Harry wished he had her bold attitude, because he wasn’t so sure about this now that he had agreed. It could have the potential to be very embarrassing.

Ginny pulled her wand and waved it in front of Luna’s face. “Coniectura Veridicus!” A soft blue haze shot out from the tip of her wand and encompassed the blond girl. Her eyes slid out of focus and she appeared to go into a deep sleep.

“Now what?” Ron asked.

“Now we ask her the question,” Hermione whispered. “But be careful.... The rules are that only the question of the day can be asked — nothing else, unless it’s directly related to the question. Otherwise, it’s an invasion of privacy, since she didn’t agree to answer any other question.”

“Luna?” Ginny asked. “Can you hear me?”

Every leaned in slightly to see what she would say.

“Yes,” she replied dreamily. Harry thought she sounded quite normal.

“I’m going to ask you a question and I want you to answer truthfully. Tell me what you see, alright?”

“Alright,” Luna repeated obediently.

“You’re about to take your dream vacation,” Ginny read. “Where will you go and what will you do? Remember… money, knowledge, and skill is not an issue. You can go anywhere, with anyone, and do anything you want. What do you see?”

“I’m in a ship,” she answered flatly.

“A ship?” Ginny asked. “What kind of ship?”

“A space ship. With the aliens.”

Hermione giggled, but Ginny shushed her.

“Where are you going, Luna?” Ginny asked calmly.

“I’m going to Numeron,” she answered happily.

“Is anyone with you?”

“No. I’m all alone,” she said with a smile. “Except for the Numeronians, of course.”

“Of course,” Harry muttered dryly, earning him his own shush from Ginny.

“What are you doing, Luna?” Ginny asked.

“I’m helping them.”

Even Ginny seemed confused by this. “Helping them, how, exactly?”

“Their ship is broken and they need my help to find their way home.”

“Oh,” Ginny said, slightly flustered. She looked at the others for help, but they all seemed just as confused and amused by Luna’s fantasy. “How are you going to fix it?” she asked.

“I’ve already tried everything, but my wand wouldn’t even work. I think the rules of magic are different here.”

“Rules of magic?” Ginny asked.

“Magic works differently here. I don’t understand it, but I want to. They are just as curious about us, you know.”

“Who?” Neville asked. He clearly was not following Luna’s story at all.

“The Numeronians, of course,” Luna answered irritably.

“Oh, yeah,” Neville stammered. “Right.”

“How far are you from Earth?” Ron asked.

“I tried to find out, but the gauge was broken so I couldn’t tell.” She seemed to be listening to something. “They say we’re about a million light years away.”

“That’s the truth,” Ron muttered under his breath earning a loud “shhh” from both Ginny and Hermione.

“Luna,” Ginny said. “I’m going to bring you out of it now.”

Luna looked disappointed. “But I haven’t even gotten to Numeron, yet.”

“We’ll save that for another day, shall we?” Ginny said with forced brightness, patting her knee.

“Alright,” Luna conceded.

Ginny pointed her wand at Luna again and said, “Finite Incantatem!” Looking around at the boys in the compartment she said smugly, “See, it’s that easy.”

“What if you’re asked a question you don’t want to answer?” Harry asked. “Are you forced to answer anyway?”

“It depends,” Hermione said. “Everyone is different. Some are better at resisting than others. That’s why the Ministry doesn’t use this spell under oath. Veritaserum is much stronger and harder to fight. You shouldn’t a have problem with it though, Harry. You’ve already shown you can throw off the Imperius Curse, and there’s no stronger mind control spell than that.”

Hermione’s words made him feel much more confident. The last thing he needed was saying something embarrassing under some ruddy spell.

“Who’s next?” Ginny asked.

All of the boys looked at each other uncertainly but no one volunteered.

“Oh, for heaven’s sake,” an exasperated Hermione said, throwing up her hands. “I’ll go!” Harry was amused to see all the males in the room, including him, take a collective sigh of relief.

Ginny pointed her wand at Hermione and repeated the incantation. “Coniectura Veridicus!”

“Can you hear me, Hermione?” Ginny asked.

Hermione nodded her head.

“Okay, Hermione. You know what to do. You’re about to take your dream vacation,” Ginny read again. “Where will you go and what will you do if money, knowledge, or skill was not a problem. Got it?”

“Yes,” Hermione answered sleepily through the blue haze.

”What do you see?” Ginny asked carefully.

“I see books. Lots and lots of books,” Hermione said with a half smile.

“Big surprise there,” Ron muttered, elbowing Seamus in the ribs.

“Where are you?” Ginny asked, shooting Ron a warning look.

“I’m in the biggest Library in the entire world,” Hermione told them, her grin getting bigger.

“What are you doing there?”

“I’m looking for answers to all my questions. It’s all here. I just have to find it,” she said with a sudden, slight frown.

“Are you alone?” Lavender asked.

“No, I’m not,” Hermione answered. The corners of her mouth turned down slightly and Harry had the impression she was trying to hold something back.

“Ooo… I wonder who’s with her,” Lavender squealed, glancing up at Ron.

“It doesn’t matter,” Ginny told Lavender. “I don’t think she wants to tell us anyway.”

“It’s probably the librarian,” Neville said, trying to be helpful.

“Even better!” Seamus interjected suggestively, rubbing his hands together.

“Hang on, Finnegan! That’s my girlfriend you’re talking about!” Ron said angrily.

“Well, I doubt it’s Madam Pomfrey!” Seamus shot back.

“Hold on… I have great respect for Madam Pomfrey, you know,” Harry said, feeling the sudden need to defend the woman who had saved his life on numerous occasions, not to mention gave him back all the bones in his arm.

“What’s Madame Pomfrey got to do with Hermione’s vacation?” Neville asked, totally befuddled.

“Nothing!” all the girls yelled at once, causing the boys’ bickering to cease. While they had been arguing, Ginny had brought Hermione out of it and now she was glaring at the boys along with the rest of them.

“For your information,” Hermione said, her voice a bit tetchy, “I was about to tell you that Ron was with me, but you didn’t give me time.”

Ron’s ears turned pick again. “I was?”

“Yes, Ron,” Hermione told him, crossing her arms. “You were.”

“So what were you two doing there in the library with all of those books, hmmm?” Seamus said, jabbing Ron roughly in the ribs. “I’m sure you weren’t reading…”

Both Ron and Hermione blushed and Harry distinctly heard Hermione mutter, “Grow up,” amidst all the laugher.

This time Hermione pulled her wand. “Fine, Seamus Finnegan,” she said pointing it at him threateningly. Seamus immediately stopped laughing and paled visibly. “You’re next, then.”

Hermione quickly said the incantation and gave him his instructions. “What do you see?” she asked.

“I see… a big ocean. There’s water all around me.”

“Do you know where you are?” Hermione asked.

“Hawaii, I think. It’s warm and tropical and there are a lot of American girls in little string bikinis.”

All the girls rolled their eyes. “What are you doing?” Hermione asked.

“I’m sitting on the beach being fed fresh pineapple by two very good looking witches,” he said happily with a really goofy smile on their face.

“Do you know them?” Lavender interjected eagerly.

“Yes-“

“That’s not important,” Hermione said curtly. “Now what are you doing?”

“I’m going for a dip in the pool… It’s a private cabana — the girls are there too. They want me to come out but I can’t, so I convince them to come into the pool with me. We’re swimming under the moonlight… One thing leads to another and-“

“Okay, enough!” Hermione said. “I really don’t want to hear the rest. Finite Incantatem!”

Hermione’s face was red, but all the boys were grinning. They could have told Hermione in what direction Seamus’ dream vacation would go, if she had asked. They had been subjected to enough of his fantasies in the dorms this past year to last a lifetime. Seamus had grown quite randy recently.

“Just curious, mate…” Ron said, addressing Seamus. “Why couldn’t you get out of the pool?”

“Are you kidding? I was soaked to the bone!” he said. “I only had on a tiny bathing suit. I’m sure you get the picture…”

“Oh… right,” Ron said understanding exactly what he meant, from the sound of it. Harry just shook his head; it was actually one of Seamus’ more tame fantasies. Then again, he had been stopped before he really got going.

“All right,” Lavender said. “My turn.”

Lavender’s fantasy involved a romantic trip to Paris and an encounter with a mysterious stranger who swept her off her feet. Harry thought the girls let her fantasy go on much longer than they would have had it been one of the boys’. For some reason, they all had the giggles and seemed to really enjoy Lavender’s dream vacation, even though it sounded like one of those cheesy romance novels that Aunt Petunia liked to read. Girls! He’d never understand them if he lived to be as old as Dumbledore…. Neville’s wasn’t much better. He dreamed of going on a trip to the jungle where he found a new kind of plant that cured all sorts of ailments and Ron’s was all about food. He wanted to go to all the best restaurants, be fed grapes and chocolate covered strawberries by Hermione, and order room service. He’d been fascinated by the concept of room service ever since Hermione had explained it to him. Soon, the only ones left were Harry and Ginny.

Harry raised an eyebrow at Ginny. “Ladies first,” he said with false chivalry.

“Gee thanks, Harry!” Ginny said sarcastically.

“Fine, then I’ll go,” he said.

Ginny grinned. “Okay by me. Coniectura Veridicus!”

Harry immediately felt himself slip into a dreamlike state. Vaguely he heard Ginny’s voice asking him a question. Her voice was so musical… it sounded like fairies singing. But she wanted an answer. What had she asked…? Oh, yes… now he remembered…

But this was a tough question. He’d never thought about this before and he had no idea how to answer. He heard her ask it again, more insistently. He searched his mind and one place stood out… the place where he had gone with her… where he had been happy for the first time in so long. He pictured himself with Ginny, laughing in the kitchen, kissing under the stars, doing all sorts of things he had only ever heard about. He heard the voice again and they really wanted an answer, so he did.


Next thing he knew the fog lifted.

“Oh, well mate. Maybe next time,” Ron said sounding odd, for some reason.

“Huh?” Harry asked, confused. He couldn’t remember exactly what he had said. Had it been something embarrassing?

“You wouldn’t tell us anything,” Neville said, relieving Harry’s fears. “Just that it was a cottage and that you’d been there before, and it was the best time you’d ever had.”

“And that you weren’t alone,” Lavender reminded them. Harry looked over at Ginny covertly. She was looking at her hands again and not meeting his eye. She seemed conflicted about something. “You said it was a girl, but you wouldn’t say who,” Lavender added.

“Yeah…” Seamus piped in. “I tried to get you to tell us what the two of you were doing, but your face got all red and you got flustered, then Hermione made us stop.” He sounded very put out about this, but Harry thanked his lucky stars Hermione had stopped him. He knew exactly what he was thinking, and he certainly didn’t want anyone knowing about that.

Out of the corner of his eye he saw Hermione give Ron a knowing look. He was even more surprised that Ron, clueless as he was, actually returned it. They were doing some sort of silent communication thing, and Harry had the horrible feeling they knew exactly what he had been talking about. But if they knew, did Ginny?

“Ginny,” Lavender said happily, totally unaware that anything was wrong. “It’s you’re turn. You’re last.”

Ginny looked up, seeming very unsure and vulnerable. She met Harry’s eye and all he could think about was his fantasy… being back at Spinner’s End all alone with Ginny for the entire summer. Swimming in the lake, lying about in the sun, laughing and talking and kissing… He could feel his cheeks getting warm, but he refused to break eye contact with her.

“Ready?” Hermione asked her, touching her hand gently to get her attention.

Ginny nodded but did not speak. But she didn’t break eye contact with him, either.

Coniectura Veridicus!” Hermione said, pointing her wand at Ginny. Ginny’s eyes slid closed slowly and Harry felt himself shiver, although he was not cold. Quietly Hermione repeated the question. “What do you see, Ginny?”

“Lots of things,” Ginny said, mildly.

“What do you mean?” Hermione asked.

“I’m… taking a trip around the world, doing whatever I like… going wherever I want.”

“Is anyone with you?” Hermione asked.

“Yes…” Ginny said, frowning. “It’s someone I know very well... someone I’ve liked for a very long time.”

“Okay…” Hermione said. Harry was itching to know who it was for sure, but Hermione said quickly, “You don’t have to tell us if you don’t want to. Where are you two going on your trip?”

“The Riviera, Greece, Egypt, Rome, Paris, America… everywhere we’ve always wanted to see.”

“Now that’s a trip!” Ron said appreciatively. “Why didn’t I think of something like that?”

“Probably because you were thinking with your stomach,” Seamus whispered.

“What kinds of things are you doing in those places?” Hermione asked after shushing them.

“Whatever we want... We’re free. Voldemort’s gone-“

Lavender gasped at the name, and everyone but Harry and Hermione looked startled.

“-and we don’t have to worry about being scared anymore, or dying, or saving the world… it’s over. We’re learning how to live and how to really have fun. The more thrilling and dangerous the better… We’re going on a Safari now… backpacking over the Alps… exploring the pyramids… scuba diving in the most beautiful tropical waters… lying on the most beautiful, warm sandy beaches…”

There was something strange happening. As she talked, he began to see himself doing it all… being right there with Ginny as she explored the world and experienced these wonderful adventures. It sounded so amazing, the things she was describing. Harry had never allowed himself to think much about the future. Growing up, he was happy just to get fed a proper meal or to get an old cast-off of Dudley’s every once in awhile. Coming to Hogwarts fulfilled every dream he’d ever had up to that point. After that, his number one dream was to leave the Dursleys for good, and lately it had been even simpler… he just wanted to survive a little longer. Listening to Ginny made him want more. He wanted to do those things… he wanted to be free and to be more than the Boy-Who-Survived-Voldemort. He wanted to live.

The group broke up as soon as Ginny finished relaying her fantasy. Seamus went in search of Dean who was with his Ravenclaw girlfriend, Lavender went in search of Parvati (probably to tell her everything they had been doing), Neville went to track down the food trolley, and Luna just wandered out without saying where she was going. Ron and Hermione shared another look and soon after they disappeared, too. Harry suspected they either wanted to find a private place to snog or they wanted to give him and Ginny some time alone. Or, maybe both.

Harry looked at Ginny shyly, not knowing exactly what to say or do now that they were alone. But he didn’t have to worry long because she was they first to break the awkward silence.

“I was there, you know,” she said, her voice taking him by surprise. It was almost a whisper and Harry had to strain to hear her. “In the hospital wing… I came once or twice at night when you were asleep. I just needed to see that you were all right.”

He noticed her eyes weren’t meeting his, and he wondered why.

“You didn’t wake me up,” he said.

“I didn’t know what to say.”

Her words made him angry for some reason. “How about, ‘Gee, Harry… I’m glad you survived again,’” he said sarcastically.

Her eyes flashed. “I am glad you survived! Merlin, Harry… when I thought you might be dead it felt as if my whole world was crashing down. I was so scared…” Her voice practically broke and she turned away.

He moved closer to her and put a hand on her arm reassuringly. “Ginny… it’s okay. I did survive. I’m fine.”

He felt her shudder and knew she was crying, but she refused to turn around and let him see the tears streaming down her face. All he wanted to do was hold her and tell her that it was going to be all right — to make her believe it.

“I know you are, Harry,” she said, sniffling. “But he’s still out there and he wants you more than ever now.”

He heard her words but the only thing that got through to him was the fact that she actually cared what happened to him. Ginny cared about him! It made his heart soar.

“Ginny,” he said, making her turn to face him. He put his finger under her chin and made her look him in the eye. The pain and love he saw there was nearly his undoing. He realized suddenly that he had never cared for anyone as deeply as he cared for her. Why had it taken him so long to realise this? They had wasted so much time.

“He hasn’t gotten me yet. I’m still here, aren’t I?”

She nodded her head, seemingly unable to speak.

“I know I have a lot going against me, and I know I don’t have any right to ask…” he said hesitantly, trying to muster up every cell of Gryffindor courage he had, “but, could you ever find it in your heart to maybe let me get to know you a little better? Maybe go on a date sometime? Er… just you and me?”

“I’d like that,” she said, sniffing. “But you have to promise me one thing, Harry.”

“Er… okay,” he said fearfully. “What?”

“You have to promise me that one day we’ll get to take that vacation I dreamed about.”

He couldn’t help but breathe a sigh of relief. “It’s a deal!” he said, “As long you promise that one day we can go back to Spinner’s End… alone.”

She smiled. “I’d go to the moon with you, Harry Potter, if you asked.”

He smiled back mischievously. “The moon, Miss Weasley? Really? Don’t you think that’s more Luna’s style?”

She laughed at smacked him lightly on the chest. “You prat!” she said fondly.

Just then the train took a sudden lurch and Harry lost his balance. He knocked into her and they found themselves face to face in a very intimate position. Harry knew without a doubt it was fate giving him that extra push he needed. Slowly he leaned into her and pressed his lips to hers.

He had intended to keep the kiss chaste, but she apparently had other ideas. Before he could pull away, he found her hands around his neck, in his hair… pulling him closer. The kiss deepened and he found himself melting into her with agonizing sweetness in a kiss so complete it blew him away. He had never felt this way before. It was pure bliss, but at the same time terrible torture.

When they broke apart, Harry could barely remember his own name. “Wow,” was the only thing he could think to say.

She grinned. “Wow, indeed,” she agreed.

Just then the compartment door slid open and Ron and Hermione poked their heads in. Seeing their compromising position and the look on their faces, Ron raised an eyebrow. “I’d say they made up,” he told Hermione dryly. “About time, too.”

Hermione’s eyes filled with tears and Harry thought she actually looked in danger of crying. “You two just look so right together!” she sniffed. “I’m so happy for you!” She rushed over and pulled them both in a big hug that had Harry fighting for breath.

Pushing Hermione away, Harry jumped up self-consciously and stammered, “We were, ah… we were just talking.”

Ron jabbed him in the ribs. “Is that what they call it these days? Talking… right.” He was smiling though when he said it; Harry knew at least one of Ginny’s brothers didn’t object to their decision to get to know each other better.

Hermione gave Ron a scathing look that would have cowed even the bravest of wizards. “Don’t tease them, Ron,” she said disapprovingly. “You know how long it’s taken them to get this far. Do you want to ruin it?”

“Hello,” Harry said irritably. “We’re still here, remember?”

“Oh, I’m just so happy for you!” Hermione said again, smothering Ginny with another big hug. Harry thought Ginny looked just as happy as she returned the hug. Girls!

Ron reached up and slapped in on the back. “Good show, mate.”

Harry blushed and looked down. “Thanks,” he said, not knowing what else to say.

“So, how about that game of chess?” Ron asked.

“Sure,” Harry said, shrugging.

The rest of the train ride was spent spending time with his best friends and sending the girl he cared about secret looks. Harry founding himself grinning so much, his face hurt. When they reached King’s Cross Harry found himself alone in the compartment with Ginny once again.

“Promise to not forget me?” she asked him shyly.

“If you promise to not forget me,” he said, moving closer to her. His heart was beating heavily in his chest and he was finding it to difficult to breathe.

“Not a chance,” Ginny murmured just before their lips met again.

The second kiss was just as good as the first one. The only problem was it was too short. As they departed the train, Harry wished furtively that he could rewind the entire year and start again.

Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were waiting for them on the platform. Off in the distance Harry could see Uncle Vernon impatiently tapping his foot as Aunt Petunia fussed over an ill-looking Dudley. All of them glared at him crossly as he stopped in front of the Weasleys to say his good-byes.

“We’ll be checking up on you,” Mr. Weasley said. “Your aunt and uncle have already been warned that there will be no repeats of previous years this summer. We want your last summer on Privet Drive to be as painless for you as possible.”

Harry grinned broadly. His last summer on Privet Drive… That sounded so wonderful!

“We’ll be along to pick you up about the same time as last summer, Harry,” Mrs. Weasley added, giving him a motherly hug. “Professor Dumbledore is going to try to send us to the same place as last year.”

Harry pulled back in surprise. “Really?” he said hopefully. It was too much to dream for… maybe he could go back and rewind things — or at least do them over. This time, he’d do them right, he thought as he stole a glace at Ginny. She was staring at him with a big grin of her own on her face.

When it was their turn to say their goodbyes, Harry found himself lingering a little longer. He stared down at her sad face and smiled. “It won’t be that long,” he said, trying to convince himself as much as her.

“I know,” she said. “Write me?”

“I will,” he promised. He pulled away reluctantly and turned to walk away, but there was a spring in his step that had not been there before. He knew he’d be counting the days until the Weasleys came to pick him up, but now he had so much more to look forward to.

Only a few more weeks, he promised himself, and I can really start to live. Spinner’s End, here I come!

THE END



A/N:
Thank you, thank you, thank you to Melindaleo for all your help on this project. You've been a really great sounding board this past week, and a good friend. All your IMs and encouraging words have meant the world to me. I think I may have given up writing fanfiction if it we're for you. This challenge has been so fun and just what the doctor ordered. Thanks also to Arnel for your super quick beta work. You're a doll!

For those of you still waiting for the next chapter of Shadow of the Serpent.... it's coming. I don't know when, but it IS coming, so don't give up on me yet. I'm still plugging away on it. This latest chapter hasn't stopped giving me fits, but I'm working out the kinks. A good case of writer's block and the end-of-the-school-year mad rush didn't help much either! It's half written, though, so hopefully it will stop fighting with me and let me get on with it so that I can get it out to you!


Reviews 32
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear