Search:

SIYE Time:7:27 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Harry Potter and the Force of Destiny
By Gryphon

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Draco, Malfoy, Albus, Harry/Ginny, Hermione, Granger, Minerva, McGonagall, Ron, Weasley
Genres: Comedy, Fluff, Humor
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 8
Summary: Harry Potter appears destined to have trouble with Devination assignments and finds being late with his predictions can be trouble.
Hitcount: Story Total: 4396







ChapterPrinter


Harry Potter and the Force of Destiny
By Gryphon

Harry Potter had a problem. Why, he wasn’t actually sure. It really wasn’t anything that unusual, but for some reason, this one was grating on his mind more than most. This had been going on for over a week now and he still had no idea how he wanted to handle it and it was really beginning to bother him.

Here he was, sitting in the library trying to decide what to do while all of his friends were having a good time. It was the first sunny Saturday they’d had since the Christmas holiday and he would really rather be outside with his friends. He just shook his head bleakly feeling very much defeated.

He’d thought this type of problem was a thing of the past when Firenze had taken over teaching Divination. At least when Trelawney had been their professor, papers were simple. All he’d had to do was come up with a suitably grisly way of dying and she was happy. Therein lay the root cause of his problem. That approach didn’t work with Firenze. He wasn’t interested in flamboyant deaths for Harry Potter and his friends. He expected something more logical and meaningful.

Since he’d already written several papers on his imminent meeting with Lord Voldemort, he couldn’t very well use that again. He couldn’t imagine what other important decisions needed to be made in his foreseeable future. That was the crux of his immediate problem — to write a paper on the most important decision he was likely to make during the next year, why it was important, and how it would affect his future. Thinking about it brought up other issues for him as he sat in the library while his friends were out having fun.

Life simply wasn’t fair. Why should he be doomed to his fate while Ron and Hermione were so happy now that they were together? Not that he resented them, he was very happy for them. He just wished he had something to look forward to like that.

That thought lead to others that raised another related problem. Did he even know how to love anyone…like that. He’d never known any kind of even friendliness much less love before coming to Hogwarts and meeting Ron and Hermione. The hormones, as Hermione called them, certainly weren’t lacking, but he’d already learned the hard way they could be pretty treacherous. His experiences the past year over Cho Chang were still a vivid testament to that.

Still, something happy to look forward to might be an idea - maybe he could write a paper on making the decision to think more positively or maybe even find a girlfriend. He turned a little pink at the thought of anyone ever finding out, but after all, only Firenze would ever see the paper. After thinking about this new idea a few minutes, he felt a little better now that he had the beginnings of a plan. He packed up his things and started back to the common room to think about what to write. He chuckled to himself; he’d have to be very careful if he were to really write this paper as he’d be quizzed ad nauseum by Ron and Hermione if they ever saw it. A positive decision would still be a good idea. He’d just leave out the girlfriend part. Arriving back at the common room, he settled into a comfortable chair and continued thinking.

“Harry, where have you been all morning?” asked a rosy cheeked Hermione as she and Ron came in through the portrait hole. “It’s really wonderful outside in the sunshine.”

Harry looked up. Seeing their rosy cheeks from the cold just reemphasized his earlier thoughts on happiness and made him long just that much more for some of that for himself. “Erm, I’ve been in the library.”

Hermione looked at him in mild shock as the library wasn’t exactly a favorite place for either Ron or Harry. “Whatever for? We don’t have any assignments this weekend and it’s really nice outside.”

“I was working on Firenze’s assignment,” said Harry, “The one about the most important decision we’ll make during the next year.”

“Harry, even I finished that one last weekend,” said Ron laughing. “Did you finish?”

“Well, not exactly,” mumbled Harry

“Well, how much do you have left,” said Hermione acting more like her old self.

Harry looked a little nervous. “Actually, I just decided what I might write about.”

“What you might write about,” said Ron in disbelief. “Harry, it’d due Wednesday morning.”

“I know, I know,” said Harry. “I’m going to work on it the rest of the weekend.”

Hermione huffed and looked at Ron who shrugged in response.

“I don’t know what’s so difficult about a paper. Even Ron got his done,” said Hermione. “Now, I think we should go eat lunch, take a nice walk to clear your mind, and then you need to write your paper.” After a final disapproving look at Harry, she got up and they left through the portrait hole for the Great Hall.

Sitting down to eat, Ginny joined them and sat next to Harry. “Where were you all morning?” she asked Harry.

“In the library, studying,” Harry said between bites of mashed potatoes.

“He got a lot done, too,” said Hermione looking pointedly at Harry. “He decided what he ‘might’ write about on his two week old assignment that’s due Wednesday morning.”

“I hear you have to write about a really important decision you’ll make sometime during the next year,” said Ginny. “That shouldn’t be too hard, really.”

“Yeah,” said Harry, “except, most of my decisions usually involve less than pleasant subjects.”

“Harry, don’t think like that,” said Ginny sympathetically. “Why don’t you write about a happy decision…maybe something you’ll do over Easter break or maybe this summer. Perhaps you could decide to turn your uncle into a Blast Ended Screwt or something on your birthday.”

Ron chuckled, “You’d probably never know the difference.”

Harry smiled at Ginny’s suggestion. She seemed to have a knack for putting a better spin on things these days. But then, she’d got entirely too close to what he’d had in mind in the first place. Thanks goodness she didn’t suggest getting a date or something.

After lunch, Hermione dragged them all out for a brisk walk around the lake saying Harry would be able to think better if he got his blood flowing. Ginny went with them and kept the subject away from the neglected paper. Returning to the castle, Harry and Ginny went straight to the common room. Ginny said she had some work she wanted to get out of the way since Sunday promised to be a nice day too.

Harry made himself comfortable at the table where he and Ron usually played chess. He guessed he should really say Ron played and he got beat — usually badly. As he got out his parchment and quill, all of his good ideas seemed to evaporate. This was really getting to be frustrating. Turning his uncle into one of Hagrid’s monsters didn’t seem like such a good an idea as when Ginny suggested it.

He sighed and looked across the room. Ginny appeared deep in thought as she worked on whatever she was doing — he hadn’t thought to ask what. That brought back thoughts from earlier in the day. How could he expect to love and be loved by anyone else if he didn’t show at least some interest in things that were important to them? He continued to watch Ginny’s expressions as she worked and decided it would be interesting to know what would cause that many expressions.

She was really quite cute when you came right down to it, not to mention a very sweet person now that he’d got to know her a little better. Would it ever be possible to love someone like her? Could someone like her ever really love him? He began going over the possibilities of what he imagined that might be like. The mental pictures he drew for himself began to gel and got nicer and nicer. As it turned out, it really didn’t take much effort at all to mentally develop their good friend relationship into something very different. This was very surprising as he’d never thought of Ginny like that before. Then it hit him; he could write about a decision to ask her to be his girlfriend. Of course he wouldn’t hand it in, but it would be practice writing about a decision and he might get a better idea for class in the process.

Putting quill to parchment, once he started, the thoughts and ideas seemed to pour out of him. The more he wrote, the warmer he felt and the warmer he felt, the more he wrote, and on and on. It came as a shock that he found himself contemplating holding and kissing Ginny.

Before he knew it, it was dinnertime and Ron and Hermione were asking him and Ginny to eat with them. He had a moment of panic when he thought they’d seen what he was writing, but he was safe. Then he wondered if his looks at Ginny might have given anything away. Luckily, they hadn’t seen or suspected anything. He still hadn’t got any better ideas for his paper, but this writing was kind of fun and it was a lot better than worrying about what to write.

Leaving the Great Hall, Harry said he’d finish up his paper Sunday. The four of them returned to the common room and played exploding snap until it was time to go to bed. He had to make a conscious effort to pay attention to the game and not look too much at Ginny as his evolving thoughts circulated through his mind all evening.

After everyone else had gone to bed, Harry quietly sneaked back downstairs to finish what he had started. He certainly didn’t want to get caught at this point. He hadn’t known it could feel this good to write a paper. That was too bad in a way, because no one was ever going to see it. Several hours later after finishing up, he went over to the hearth and stoked up the fire to a small, but merry blaze.

Making himself comfortable on the couch, he thought to read over his paper one more time and then burn it to be sure no one else ever saw it. He certainly didn’t want anyone to think he’d ever had those thoughts much less make a decision to do anything about them. After finishing the first read through, he made a few small changes and feeling very warm and at piece, decided to read it again one last time before burning it.

As he finished the second reading, he was feeling very warm indeed and…just plain happy. He leaned back and closed his eyes to further enjoy these rare very nice feelings.

“Harry!” said Neville, “what are you doing down here this early?”

Harry jumped as though he’d been stung. It took a moment to gather his thoughts and realize he still had his paper in his lap. He quickly scrambled to fold it and put it in his book.

“Uhh, I was working late and must have dozed off,” said Harry nervously. At least Hermione hadn’t found him. She’d probably have insisted on proofing his paper.

Tuesday night arrived and Harry realized he hadn’t written a paper to turn in to Firenze. He just couldn’t understand how he could have forgot to write one. The more he thought about it, the more he worried. He also knew that if Hermione saw him working on that paper, he’d be severely chastised and would be asked too many questions about the first paper.

As soon as he thought everyone was asleep, he quietly went back down to the common room to begin a new paper — one he could turn in. At this point, he didn’t care what he wrote about as long as it was something reasonably important. No one else but Firenze was going to see it anyway. After thinking a few minutes, he had what he considered a brilliant idea. He’d make the decision to tell Ron and Hermione about the prophesy and the other discussions he’d had with Dumbledore after the fight at the Department of Mysteries. Of course he wouldn’t mention the prophesy directly, but it would serve the purpose.

He finally finished proofing his paper for the third time at 4:30. It was all he could do to keep his eyes open by then, but at least Hermione would never know. She might be totally taken with Ron, but she still found time to “big sister” him more than he felt he needed. Still, it was nice someone cared he supposed. If only he had someone who cared for him like she did for Ron. With that thought he went up to bed after neatly folding the paper and putting it in his Divination book.

“Harry! Wake up,” said Ron shaking Harry’s shoulder. “You’re going to miss breakfast.”

Harry dragged his eyes open and looked at Ron standing by his bed. The curtain had been pulled back and the early morning sun shown brightly into his painfully bleary eyes. Harry dragged himself out of bed not sure if he’d be able to even stay awake much less go to breakfast. In addition to going to bed so late, or rather early he supposed, he’d had trouble going to sleep. It was amazing you could be too tired to stay up yet not be able to sleep.

Of course Ron and Hermione wanted to know why he was so tired. Saying he hadn’t been able to sleep only raised more questions. Even Ginny was concerned about why he hadn’t been able to sleep. Her questions brought a little color to his cheeks since she and his first paper were the main reason he’d had trouble going to sleep. Writing the first paper had brought thoughts to the front of his mind he hadn’t previously entertained. Could he really feel that way about someone? He wasn’t sure how much he had been using Ginny as a convenient person to mold his thoughts and feelings around or if they were real. She’d been very easy to use since he knew her and liked being around her. The other possibility was more worrisome. What if the feelings he’d written about were his real feelings for her.

“Harry, what’s with you today?” asked Ron looking even more concerned as he gave Harry’s shoulder a shake. “We’ve been talking to you and it’s like you aren’t here. Are you sure your scar isn’t bothering you?”

Harry tried to refocus on them. “I’m sure,” he said. “I guess I’m just tired and preoccupied.”

“Well, that much is obvious,” said Ron getting back to eating.

Harry was actually thankful to get out of the Great Hall and into the Divination classroom. At least Ron couldn’t ask him questions and Hermione wasn’t in the class. He handed in his paper along with everyone else and took a seat on the ground against a tree. That Firenze modeled his classroom around the outdoors was a very pleasant change from Trelawney’s stifling room. He took a deep breath and leaned his head back and suddenly felt very much at peace.

“Would everyone please take a seat,” said Firenze after collecting all of the papers. “We’re going to do things a little differently today. Since we’re discussing predicting future decisions we expect to make, I’m going to hand out some of your papers for someone else to read to the class and we’ll discuss the various aspects of the predictions.”

He handed out half a dozen or so and the readings started. Several were pretty silly, but a couple drew some serious discussion. Towards the end of the class, Firenze said he thought there was time for one more and called upon Lavender to read the one she had and she began,

“The Most Important Decision (to me) I’ll Make Over the Next Year
By Harry Potter

There is a girl I need to tell just how much she has come to mean to me. Up until now, I didn’t even know if I possessed to ability to really care about anyone like that, but I think I do. Every time I see her beautiful red hair, it sends shivers up my back and all over…”

Ron looked over at Harry who had obviously been asleep for most of the class and thought, ‘What the hell is going on here? Is that Ginny he’s written about? No wonder he couldn’t sleep if he planned to hand that kind of paper in to Firenze. But then there’s no way Harry ever intended this to be read aloud to everyone especially with Lavender and Parvati in the room. It’ll be all over school by lunch.’ He continued listening with his mouth open.

“…Making the decision to actually share my feelings with her will be one of the toughest decisions of my life. Facing Voldemort will be easy by comparison. That’s not really a decision though. After telling her, I’ll have to face her six brothers and parents and they may not approve of us being together. What really makes the decision hard is knowing she may not feel the same way about me or even be interested in dating me. I don’t know how I could live with that.

That’s why this will be a very hard and very important decision for me to make sometime during the next year.

Harry awoke with a jerk as the end of class bell sounded. He wearily climbed to his feet and followed Ron out of class. He was too tired to notice he was getting strange looks from almost everyone in the class.

“You really had a nice nap in there didn’t you,” said Ron eyeing him curiously.

“Yeah, I guess I did,” said Harry. “How was class?”

Ron’s eyes went up a little. “Firenze had us read each other’s papers to the class and discuss the decisions. A few were really interesting.”

“What do you mean, read each other’s papers?” asked Harry looking a little nervous as they walked towards Herbology.

“Just what I said,” said Ron. “Yours was the last one read, but we didn’t have time to discuss it. Firenze said not to talk to each other about it and we’ll discuss it next class.”

Harry noted Ron was looking at him almost expectantly. He shrugged it off and walked on towards class thinking how glad he was he hadn’t been very specific about what he intended to tell him and Hermione.

“Ron, is everyone looking at me strangely or is it just my imagination?” asked Harry noting he was getting rather more looks than usual.

“Harry, you always attract attention, but when you write something like that, what do you expect?” said Ron.

Harry just shook his head. “It’s just something I should have done a long time ago.”

Ron’s eyebrows went up several notches at that but said nothing. This was amazing, but Harry would tell them when he was ready and given the subject, he didn’t want to press him though he was damn curious.

Harry shrugged again more to himself this time. He guessed everyone was hoping to hear some more of what really happened after the fight at the Department of Mysteries. Well, they’d already heard most of what happened with the fight in ADADA class and there was no way he was going to discuss Dumbledore’s conversation with the whole class. Now that he knew what was going on, it was no wonder everyone was looking at him kind of expectantly.

The rest of the day was relatively uneventful. Harry knew he was getting more looks, but that was just because more people had heard and were hoping to learn a few more juicy tidbits. The only thing remotely notable was Ginny’s absence at dinner and from the common room that evening. Being very tired, he turned in early and thought no more of it.

This just opened up discussion in the common room with no restraints. Ron’s protests that the subject wasn’t supposed to be discussed fell on deaf ears. Hermione of course couldn’t help but hear. Ron only slipped off the hook for not telling her by claiming Harry had been with them any time they could have talked. They were both greatly surprised at how calm Harry seemed about the whole thing. After discussing Harry’s behavior over the last few days they figured something very strange was going on. This just wasn’t like Harry at all even though no one had dreamed those papers would ever be read aloud. Hermione left shortly thereafter to go see why Ginny hadn’t been around since there was no doubt about whom he was writing.

After a pleasantly boring Thursday, Harry woke up Friday morning feeling rested and much better than he had in days…at least until he remembered he had Double Potions all morning. Again, he noted a lot of stolen glances and giggling around him. Once again, Ginny was missing at breakfast. Hermione said she’d eaten earlier as she had several things to do before class.

Potions started badly and went down hill from there. Harry dropped and splattered the contents of a jar of rotted fish guts on everyone and everything near him. Since Snape had been standing near him, it was disastrous. Snape was livid!

“Misssterrr Pootterrr…” Snape drew his name out dripping with scorn. “Just because you’re love sick doesn’t mean you can disrupt my class. That will be 5 points from Gryffindor and I expect this mess to be cleaned up before you leave class.”

“What?” said Harry in disbelief. Looking at Ron, “What’s he mean ‘love sick?’”

“There will be no discussing your problem in my class, Mr. Potter. That will be 5 more points.”

Harry looked at Ron who shrugged and went back to mixing his potion with Hermione. Seeing Malfoy snickering across the room did nothing to improve his mood. Since Snape hadn’t said he couldn’t use magic, he had the mess cleaned up fairly quickly. They all breathed a sigh of relief when the class ended.

“OK, Ron,” said Harry as soon as they were out of the door on their way to lunch, “why would he call me love sick?”

Ron looked at Hermione but she just shrugged. Looking back at Harry, he started to respond when he was interrupted by Malfoy.

“So Potter’s finally decided on a squeeze who’ll give him some and how appropriate that it’s a Weasley. I’ve always said she’s a slu…” Malfoy said before Harry was all over him.

Harry didn’t know what happened, but something snapped. He didn’t bother with his wand. He just dove in with both fists flying and he got in three good blows to Malfoy’s face and a good one to the gut before he was knocked away by Goyle. Before any more could happen, Hermione immobilized Harry, Malfoy, Goyle, and Crabbe who was about to join the fray.

“What is going on here?” snapped Snape as he walked out and viewed the scene. “Who did this to them?” he said looking around those standing around.

“I did,” said Hermione.

Snape scowled even more deeply. “That’ll be ten points for doing magic in the halls and another ten points for fighting from Gryffindor. Now restore them and get them to Madame Pomfrey.”

As Hermione released them from the spell, Ron stepped over to help Harry up. In doing so, he was standing on Malfoy’s right hand when Hermione released him. He immediately let out a strangled scream and looked around for Snape.

“Sorry,” said Ron though he didn’t look it.

Malfoy required help from Crabbe and Goyle since both of his eyes had quickly swollen shut. Ron and Hermione accompanied Harry even though he needed no help.

Madame Pomfrey took Harry and Malfoy in and sent the rest of the students on their way.

“Student’s your age fighting like common hooligans — just what were you thinking?” snapped Madame Pomfrey as she worked on Harry’s bruised cheek.

“Malfoy made an especially vile comment about Ron’s sister,” said Harry.

“Oh, I see,” she said apparently attempting to hide a small smile. After finishing with Harry’s face, she had him sit thirty minutes while she worked on Malfoy.

“You’re just like your father was when he was at Hogwarts. We’ve all hoped you’d find it in yourself to change your ways. In the future, please try not to let us down,” said Madame Pomfrey as she continued treating his two black eyes and a broken nose.

Malfoy just sneered at her and said, “My father won’t always be in Azkaban and when he gets out, a lot of you Muggle lovers will be out of luck.

Madame Pomfrey stood back and gave him a hard look, “I’ve stopped the swelling, but I think I’ll leave your eyes black. Maybe it’ll remind you to be more considerate in your comments. I want you to stay here for an hour and let that nose settle into place.

“Mr. Potter, you may go,” she finished.

No sooner had he left the infirmary than he ran into Dumbledore who was obviously waiting for him.

“Hello Harry,” said Dumbledore. “Lets walk back towards your next class and talk.”

Harry looked at him nervously wondering what this could be about. Dumbledore had seldom come to him to talk and then he’d been in the infirmary.

“It’s come to my attention that you’ve turned in a rather interesting paper in your Divination class. Aside from everyone in the school knowing about it, Professor Firenze thought it important enough to discuss it with me late last night.” Seeing Harry start to look nervous, he continued soothingly, “Now, now, there’s nothing you should be worried about. I think it’s a very good thing for you to do, though I must admit, I’m rather surprised you chose to write a school paper about it. Do you really intend to do it?” he said peering at Harry intently.

Harry looked up at Dumbledore, “Of course, it’s something I should have done a long time ago.”

After a curious glance back at Harry, Dumbledore continued again, “I expected this to happen one day but this isn’t quite how I envisioned it happening. I think you’ll want to keep the discussion in class on as high a level as you can and save the details for a more private discussion. I hope you don’t mind, but we’ve taken the liberty to arrange for Miss Weasley and Miss Granger to be in the class for the discussion.”

“Er, why, Professor?” Harry asked looking very perplexed. He couldn’t see why there was so much excitement over his paper. And, why would Ginny need to be there. He hadn’t really planned on telling her.

“Harry, if you’re going to bring the subject up in class, I think your closest friends should be there. While I think you’ll be very happy with your decision, remember, you are about to share something very special that will have long term effects — very good ones I think. Professor Firenze studied the stars on the subject before coming to me and agrees. This is probably the best decision you’ve ever made.”

Harry was awed to say the least. The twinkle in Dumbledore’s eyes was very notable towards the end. He couldn’t help but wonder why there was so much excitement over telling Ron and Hermione more about the events following the fight at the Department of Mysteries.

Dumbledore left him at the door to Divination where he could see everyone sitting in a circle on the grass. He couldn’t help but note Ron and Hermione were sitting closely and holding hands. They had obviously saved a space for him between Ron and Ginny. While Ron and Hermione had rather strange expressions, Ginny had a small smile for him which he returned. He walked in and took the seat on the ground they’d saved for him. After a searching look at him as he sat, Ginny kept her eyes on Firenze as Ron and Hermione seemed to be doing too. He’d be glad when this was over.

“Now that everyone is seated, we can begin,” said Firenze clopping slowly across the classroom in front of them. “Harry Potter’s paper that you all heard Wednesday should present an interesting subject for discussion to say the least. Harry, would you tell us why you elected to write a paper on this subject and not just do it?”

“Erm,” began Harry, “well, it’s something I’ve wanted to do for a long time and I needed something for a paper. I never expected it to be read in class.” He noted Ginny glanced at him after he finished.

“May I say something?” said Lavender.

“Go ahead,” said Firenze clopping back the other way.

“Harry, you shouldn’t feel like you can’t tell a girl how you feel about her just because of You Know Who,” said Lavender.

Lavender continued, but Harry didn’t hear a word. In addition to turning several shades of scarlet and red, he was in shock. After a few seconds, he picked up his book and noted the folded paper sticking out. It only took a quick glance to see it was the paper he’d intended to turn in. Now he realized the why for everything that had been happening over the last couple of days. He glanced at Ginny who was looking at him questioningly.

A million things were going through his mind. Foremost was that no matter what, he didn’t want to hurt Ginny’s feelings. Taking a deep breath, he tried to calm the Hippogriffs flying around in his stomach.

He leaned over to Ginny and whispered into her ear, “This isn’t exactly how I intended for this to happen. No matter what gets said here, just know that all the feelings I wrote about are true, OK?” As he leaned away from Ginny, she nodded silently looking deeply into his eyes.

As they sat gazing at each other, it must have been several moments before Harry was aware of the discussion going on around him. As he looked around, Ron and Hermione were staring at him as were most others. Seamus was giving him a big grin. Harry thought he had a pretty good idea what would follow as soon as he was alone with his fellow dorm mates. But most of all, he was worried about how Ginny was taking all of this. Now he knew why she’d been so scarce the last few days. He just didn’t know whether it was a good sign or a bad one. The discussions went on for what seemed like a very long time. Thankfully, he wasn’t called upon to participate. It was embarrassing enough listening as everyone else discussed his and Ginny’s dating future.

“And on a final note, I think a big result of this may be that Mr. Potter will daydream even more in my class,” said Firenze looking pointedly at Harry.

That drew a laugh from everyone. Even Harry grinned as he glanced at Ginny. He grew a little nervous when she just looked back with her big beautiful brown eyes peering deeply into his eyes like before.

“Mr. Potter, since I’m sure your mind is elsewhere and you probably have things that need saying to Miss Weasley, the two of you are excused from the rest of my class,” said Firenze. This drew a round of ‘whoops’ and cat calls from the other students.

Harry knew he’d pay for this later. It was bad enough Ginny and Hermione had been invited to the class, but to be given time to talk to his prospective girlfriend… The look in Seamus’s eyes was more than enough to make a good prediction of what was to come. He was just surprised they had waited this long.

He and Ginny gathered their things and left the room. As soon as they were out in the hall away from Firenze’s door, he turned to Ginny. Suddenly, it felt very different standing close to her.

“Harry, if you wanted to date me, why didn’t you just ask me?” said Ginny before Harry could speak. Once again, she was peering intently at him.

Harry took a breath and began. “Ginny, I never intended for anyone to see that paper much less read it to the world. If I hadn’t gone to sleep in front of the fire, I’d have burned it. I stayed up most of Tuesday night writing this one,” he showed her the other paper he’d written. “I was really tired Wednesday since I had a hard time going to sleep because I was thinking about you. I went to sleep against a tree after turning in what I thought was this paper. I thought everyone was acting really strange ever since.”

“I guess that explains why you didn’t say anything to me sooner,” said Ginny. “When were you going to say something to me?”

“Uh, I don’t know,” said Harry looking at the floor. “I didn’t even know if you would date me — I still don’t know.”

“Is that all?” she asked again.

“Well, Ginny, I didn’t even know if I knew how to care for someone like that and…and there are other issues.”

“Harry, Voldemort and the prophesy aren’t good reasons for not following your heart,” said Ginny.

Harry’s eyes opened wider, “How do you know about the prophesy?”

“Dumbledore told me before class while you were with Madame Pomfrey,” said Ginny. “I’m glad I know and it doesn’t make any difference to me. What do Ron and Hermione think?”

“That’s what the other paper was about. I was going to decide to tell them,” said Harry. He just looked at her for a moment. “I guess a lot happened during lunch.”

Ginny grinned for the first time. “Yeah, I guess so. I hear you gave Malfoy a couple of real beauties.”

Harry didn’t grin. “He said some things I didn’t like.”

“I heard. Why did you feel the need to write about your feelings rather than just ask me out?”

Harry took another breath. “I didn’t know what to write about and thought it would be good practice. I certainly didn’t expect the whole school to know about it, especially since that means Voldemort will find out. And Ginny, I’d rather lose you to someone else as their girlfriend than risk losing you to Voldemort or one of his followers.”

“Well, I’m glad I know now,” said Ginny. “I’d just like to have a say in things that concern me.”

Harry looked at her hopefully. “Does that mean you’ll date me?”

“I guess so,” said Ginny with an amused look. “But after what you’ve put me through this week, I expect you to make it up this weekend.”

Harry looked back at her beginning to smile in happy dismay. Had he and Ginny agreed to start dating with him in the doghouse already?

“By the way, I thought you might be hungry since you missed lunch so I brought you something,” said Ginny reaching for her book bag. “Why don’t we go over there and sit. We only have a few more minutes until next class.”

The roast beef sandwich Ginny had brought for him hit the spot. The rest of the afternoon passed very slowly for Harry even though he usually enjoyed Care of Magical Beasts. Even Hagrid seemed to know what was going on. He’d told Ron and Hermione that Ginny had agreed to date him and that for some reason he was in the doghouse already. Ron had started to make a comment but quickly reconsidered after noting the look he was getting from Hermione.

During class, the thing that kept going through Harry’s mind was how he had got himself into this. Ginny had gone from just a good friend a few hours ago to his girlfriend. Actually, he was kind of happy — well very happy. Had he felt this way for a long time and just hadn’t recognized it? Did he really feel this way for that matter? Since he was feeling this way he must really like her. This was all getting very confusing. In any case, there was no way he was going to discuss these thoughts with anyone much less put them on parchment. Ginny was never to know he hadn’t felt this way for very long.

After class, Ginny met them at the castle doors as she’d just finished Herbology. The first thing they saw was Malfoy along with Crabbe and Goyle staring at the point counters in disbelief. It appeared Gryffindor had increased their tally a little rather than lose points for the day.

“What do you suppose he’s so upset about?” asked Seamus who had walked in with them.

“I think he expected to see about 30 points less for Gryffindor,” said Hermione looking very serene.

Malfoy turned around and sneered at them. “You won’t always have your little friends around to get you out of trouble, Potter.”

Harry just ignored him, but Seamus didn’t.

“Draco, don’t look now, but I think you put on a little too much eye shadow this morning,” said Seamus with a very straight face. “I don’t think even your two friends there like you as much with that much makeup.”

Harry was too preoccupied with his thoughts on Ginny to pay any more attention to Malfoy. Something had definitely changed since morning. Suddenly, walking beside her felt entirely different than previously. It wasn’t something he could put his finger on, but it was there. It was almost as though they were two different people. He wasn’t sure he even knew his new self.

His most immediate concern was what Ginny would expect of him as a boyfriend assuming she thought of him that way. Surely she knew how he felt as did just about everyone else since Wednesday. That realization again brought a moment of fear as he realized the word would get to Voldemort and his Death Eaters — probably through Malfoy or his friends. He glanced at Ginny and also realized she must know that too and had said she didn’t care.

~~~~~~

High in the castle in the Headmaster’s office, McGonagall and Dumbledore were peering at a strange looking instrument sitting all by itself on a small table. It was whirring and purring quietly.

“Are you sure this thing is working?” asked McGonagall looking at the instrument skeptically.

“Oh, yes, Minerva,” he said. “I’ve been watching it for several years. It’s only been showing indications for about a week now.”

“But how do you know Harry has really fallen in love?” she asked.

“We’ve had some corroboration, actually,” said Dumbledore. “And then there is prophesy.”

“What prophesy?” asked McGonagall looking at him in surprise.

“Minerva, after the first prophesy, there was a second that Harry and Ginny must never learn about — at least for a very long time. It largely explained the differences between Harry and Voldemort. To paraphrase and keep it short, Harry needs to truly love some one, and not just anyone, to fully unlock his powers and not be seduced by them. It went on to say his true love would be a redhead with lots of brothers.” His eyes were positively twinkling at that statement. “When the first indications here became apparent, I asked Dobby to quietly keep an eye on Harry. All of this started while he was writing his first paper for Firenze. My little monitor showed an even sharper increase when Mr. Malfoy got his black eyes.”

“So you’re saying Harry and Ginny are destined for each other?” said McGonagall in surprise.

“It would seem so,” said Dumbledore. “It would also appear Harry discovered his feelings rather suddenly. I had expected his feelings to develop much more slowly than they did. While I’m very happy for them, I’m also saddened that it’s necessary if we are to defeat Voldemort.”

“Did he show any indications when he was interested in Cho Chang?” asked McGonagall curiously.

“None at all,” said Dumbledore, “But then, Ms Chang didn’t fit the prophesy.”

“Do Arthur and Molly know anything about this?” said McGonagall.

“Certainly not,” said Dumbledore shaking his head. “They’ll find out about Harry and Ginny in good time — perhaps over the Easter Break. As for this prophesy, it must remain between the two of us. I thought you should know just in case I’m not around. Their relationship must be protected as much as we can discreetly do so.”

~~~~~~

By the time dinner had ended that night and they were back in the common room, Harry thought Ginny had forgot about what he’d put her through. She hadn’t. Sitting on the couch in front of the fire, she turned to him, smiled, and put her feet on his lap and smiled sweetly.

“Harry, would you massage my feet for me, please?” she said in her sweetest voice.

Harry looked back at her in surprise. After a quick glance around, he noticed several other people around them had overheard this request and were looking to see what he was going to do. So this was his punishment. Rubbing her feet wouldn’t be so bad, but having everyone know he was doing it… Even Ron was looking at him in amusement.

“Here?” he said glancing around again.

“Where else?” she said with an amused expression.

Harry looked down at her feet in his lap. She was wearing some kind of slip on shoes and socks that disappeared up under the trousers she was wearing under her robes.

“Well?” she said encouragingly.

“You want me to take your shoes off?” asked Harry hesitantly.

“Of course,” said Ginny still smiling.

Harry carefully picked up the foot closest to him and slipped her shoe off. He couldn’t help but wonder if she was curling her toes to make it harder for him. After getting both of them off, he started to squeeze and rub the foot closest to him.

“Harry, you need to take my socks off if you’re going to do a proper job of it,” said Ginny teasingly.

Harry looked up and around again. He’d hardly ever touched a girl anywhere before and she was asking him to…well only partially undress her. He couldn’t help glancing at Ron who was sitting back with Hermione with a grin on his face. At least he didn’t appear upset over this. He looked at Ginny and back down at the foot he was holding. He was already getting funny feelings in his stomach just touching her through her socks.

Initially he tried pulling them down by grasping them at her ankles. That didn’t work. He looked up beginning to turn a little pink.

“You’re going to have to pull them down from the top, Harry,” she said now clearly enjoying herself way too much.

Harry had no idea how far up her legs her socks went. As he pushed her trouser leg up, he knew he was really changing colour. He was almost to her knee before he found the top of her sock. No wonder it wouldn’t pull down before. If touching her feet through her socks had affected him before, brushing the bare skin of her lower leg was an exhilarating experience as he pulled the sock down — and he still had another to go.

As he rubbed one foot and then the other, he fluctuated between being embarrassed and mesmerized. He felt he could do this all night if she let him.

“Oi, Harry,” said Seamus who was sitting nearby watching with Lavender, “I think You Know Who has been trying to catch you the wrong way. He should just ask you to rub his feet for him.”

Everyone in the common room got a good laugh out of that one.

“Oh, shut it, Seamus,” Harry responded ruefully throwing a cushion at him.

“Harry, I hope you know what you’ve got yourself into falling for a Weasley,” said Ron grinning broadly.

If all that weren’t enough, he got a real ration of teasing after going up to their dorm that night, especially from Ron and Seamus. Mentioning that he’d rather enjoyed it only made it worse — something to do with being some kind of whipped. After that weekend, he decided he never wanted to make Ginny truly mad at him.

The weeks passed rather quickly. Harry and Ginny became more relaxed around each other as they explored their new relationship. Their first time holding hands had been a real mind blower for Harry. It was nothing like anything he’d done before and much better than the now somewhat regular foot rubs. All of this was dutifully displayed by the strange little instrument much to Dumbledore’s delight.

“Ginny,” said Ron one evening in the common room, “have you invited your new boyfriend to the Burrow for Easter?”

Ginny looked up and glanced at Harry who was sitting next to her, “I thought you usually invite Harry to the Burrow.”

Ron appeared to be trying not to smile as he said, “I used to, but I think your status as his girlfriend takes precedence over my status as a best friend, don’t you think?”

Hermione just sat quietly and watched the exchange with her usual small smile. Ron had been having a good time teasing Harry and Ginny the past few weeks. She was actually rather surprised they were taking it so well. She just couldn’t understand how Harry had kept his feelings so well hidden before writing that paper.

“Harry hasn’t asked me to be his girlfriend, Ron,” said Ginny without looking at Harry.

Once again, Harry knew he was caught. Ginny had agreed to date him, but apparently she didn’t consider herself to be his girlfriend unless she was having him on again. He’d had more than adequate opportunity to find out she could tease him just as well as Ron these days.

Turning to Ginny, he asked softly, “Ginny, would you be my girlfriend?”

“You’re asking me in front of all of these people?” said Ginny with a mischievous grin.
“You should do that in a more private and romantic place, don’t you think?”

Hermione smirked at that. Harry would probably pay for ignoring Ginny for a long time to come.

Harry stood up and held out his hand to Ginny. “Coming?”

“Where,” said Ginny with a very innocent look on her face.

“Somewhere more private and romantic,” said Harry grinning.

“Well, OK,” said Ginny as she stood and led Harry towards the portrait hole.

After they’d left, Hermione laughed and looked at Ron and said, “They’re really having a good time aren’t they?”

Ron chuckled and pulled Hermione a little closer, “I know Ginny’s having a good time at Harry’s expense. The thing is: he seems to be enjoying it all the way.”

“I just don’t understand how he kept this a secret from us for so long,” said Hermione thoughtfully. “I thought we’ve been keeping a pretty close eye on him since last spring.”

“Harry can be pretty quiet about things when he wants to,” said Ron also deep in thought. “He did seem to look at Ginny a lot while he was writing that paper though. I just can’t imagine him writing something like that even if he didn’t think anyone would ever see it.”

“I can’t either,” said Hermione. “I still wonder why he was so sleepy that he was able to sleep through his paper being read. He’s never done that before.”

“I know. We didn’t have any other assignments that would have kept him up either. Did you see his face when the discussion started?” said Ron. “It was almost like he was totally surprised at what was being said even though he knew his paper had been read in class.”

“I’ve been wondering about that too,” said Hermione still deep in thought. “The only thing that makes any sense is that he wrote two papers and handed in the wrong one.”

“Hermione, you and I both know Harry would never write anything he didn’t have to,” Ron said and then paused, “unless he was really distracted thinking about Ginny. I think I’ll ask him what he did with the other paper when an opportune time arises. Speaking of time, how long does it take to ask someone to be your girlfriend?”

“How long did it take you?” said Hermione snuggling a little closer.

“Hmmm. He’d better not take ‘that’ long,” said Ron beginning to turn a little pink.

“Ron, I know she’s your little sister, but she’s almost as old as we were,” said Hermione looking at him softly but meaningfully.

“But…” began Ron.

“But, but, but…no buts,” said Hermione. “They need to enjoy their moments of discovery.”

“Well, all right,” said Ron relaxing a little as he continued grumpily. “They’d just better not discover too much.”

Hermione smiled, “I suspect Ginny will have to take a little initiative. I don’t think they’ve even kissed yet. At least Ginny hasn’t told me if they have.”

“What,” said Ron clearly surprised.

“I think Ginny sees this as her opportunity,” said Hermione with a grin. “I just hope Harry doesn’t do or say anything dumb.”

As time passed and Harry and Ginny didn’t return, Ron became more and more agitated. “What’s taking them so long,” grumbled Ron.

“Well,” said Hermione, “either Harry is getting it very right or said something really wrong.”

“Well, he’d better not have got it too right,” Ron said looking at Hermione with a worried look on his face.

“Oh, Ron, you worry too much. How much can they do their first time really together?” said Hermione.

“A lot!” exclaimed Ron.

It was nearly 10:30 before Harry and Ginny returned. The smiles on their faces went almost ear to ear. This brought a frown on Ron’s face — almost chin to chin.

“Where have you two been all this time?” asked Ron pointedly.

“We went to the room where Harry found the Mirror of Erised,” said Ginny.

“Why would you need to go there?” asked Ron.

“There’s a bunch of old furniture there and there was an old couch we could sit on and…talk,” replied Ginny with a hint of mischievousness in her voice.

“Couch!” exclaimed Ron, eyes suddenly very wide and looking at Harry very dubiously. “Just why would you need a couch?”

“Because it was more comfortable than standing, Ron,” retorted Ginny as Harry looked on looking more than a little worried at the direction of this conversation.

“What?” Ron said jumping to his feet before Hermione grabbed his arm

“Ron, CALM DOWN!” said Hermione. “Can’t you see she’s just having you on?”

“Anyway,” said Ginny giving Ron a stern look, “what I do with my boyfriend is my business.”

“Oh,” said Hermione in delight, “he asked and you accepted. That’s wonderful, isn’t it, Ron?”

“Uh, yeah,” Ron said managing a smile seeing the look Hermione was giving him. “Congratulations. Did she invite you to the Burrow for Easter, Harry?”

“Yeah,” said Harry beginning to grin again. “I’ve never had to work that hard for an invitation before,” he added grinning even wider at Ginny. He hoped he’d have to ‘work’ that hard every time from now on. Judging by Ron’s expression, he’d figured out what ‘work’ meant. He just hoped Ginny’s idea to get Ron past this early on was a good one.

Before they knew it, they were on the Hogwarts Express bound for London. Harry and Ginny had the compartment to themselves for a while since Ron and Hermione had to take their turn looking in on the first year students. Harry couldn’t understand why since most of them were on their fourth ride on the Express, though he and Ginny certainly didn’t object to the privacy.

After watching the scenery a few moments, Harry voiced a thought he’d had for some time. “Ginny, I know you’ve dated one or two other people over the years. Does it always feel this way?” he said turning to face her at the end.

Ginny looked back at him in surprise. “Harry, nothing has every felt like this. Why?”

“I just wondered. I guess I need to confess something to you,” Harry began looking at her seriously. “When I started writing that paper, I had no idea I cared for you like I do now. Once I’d got the idea I couldn’t stop. Every time I had another thought or feeling and wrote it down, something seemed to snap into place kind of like it was always supposed to be that way. At first I didn’t understand what was happening, but I didn’t really care because I was so happy with the way I was feeling. It seemed like with every new thought and feeling, everything felt…I don’t know how to describe it…just very right.”

“Harry, I don’t know what to say,” said Ginny with a small frown. “I thought you’d felt that way for some time and just hadn’t told me.”

“I know. I should have told you but I wanted you so badly by then, I didn’t know what to do. I was afraid you wouldn’t give me a chance if you knew the truth. Then I was worried about Voldemort finding out. I just never thought anyone would ever see that paper except me, but I’m very thankful for the way things have worked out.” Harry was idly running his fingers through her hair as he finished.

Ginny just shook her head a little. “I have to admit, I was more than a little skeptical when Dumbledore spoke to me before your class. I’d given up on you ever caring for me a long time ago. It’s just, I just couldn’t bring myself to have any real feelings for anyone else. You probably don’t know this, but Lavender made a duplicate of your paper while Firenze wasn’t looking and gave it to me. I suppose Dumbledore saw the one you handed in.”

Now Harry looked surprised. “You didn’t believe what I wrote?”

“Harry, I know you and Ron used to make up all kinds of stuff for Trelawney. I didn’t know this wasn’t more of the same,” said Ginny.

“I guess I see what you mean,” said Harry thoughtfully. “I never thought about that. I just wonder why Dumbledore chose to get involved. I’ve never heard of him doing that for another student.”

“I think it’s because he feels badly about the way you were brought up by the Dursleys,” said Ginny as her eyes searched his. “I think he feels responsible for that and would like you to experience love now that you seem ready for it.”

“That sounds like Dumbledore, but knowing him, I bet there’s more,” said Harry beginning to grin again. “In any case, I’m not going to question the results. I don’t think I could be much happier.”

Now Ginny got a mischievous grin on her face. “And just what would make you happier?”

“Ginny, I don’t know if your parents will even approve of us dating much less more,” said Harry turning a little pink.

Since Harry implied the more would include her parents’ consent, she thought she had an idea what he meant and settled for just snuggling up to him very contentedly.

There was another positive side to having the compartment to themselves. They took advantage of the opportunity to get in a little snuggle time. Harry took his book bag that he was using for clothes and transfigured it into a large cushion they used so they could cuddle lying down along the seat and watch the scenery go by. He also changed his cape into a blanket to keep them warm. At least that’s what they did when they weren’t playing lip games, which is what they were doing when Ron and Hermione returned.

“I see we were chaperoning the wrong people,” Ron said as he and Hermione entered the compartment. He was still having a little difficulty thinking about his best friend snogging his little sister.

“Why do you say that?” asked Ginny as she rolled over to face them and wiggled back against Harry. Feeling Harry begin to pull back, she took his hands and pulled his arms around her hugging them to her.

Harry, for his part, was trying very hard not to show his consternation over where he realized his arms were. He was very thankful for the blanket so Ron couldn’t see.

“Well, just how much trouble can first years get into?” said Ron. “They weren’t the ones under a blanket.”

“Ron, you know why we were there,” said Hermione. She turned to Harry and Ginny, “I’m surprised you weren’t on the list to take a turn watching over them. Everyone on the list is in ADADA.”

“What?” exclaimed Harry trying to sit up but Ginny held him where he was.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” exclaimed Ron who had noticed where Harry’s arms were when Harry’s efforts to sit up disturbed the concealing blanket.

“He’s not doing anything Ron Weasley,” said Ginny in a very terse tone, “if I hear anymore about Harry and me you’re going to have more Bat Bogeys than you know what to do with.”

“But, but…” Ron could only sputter as Hermione tried to calm him down.

“Why don’t you guy’s make a pillow and blanket and enjoy the ride too,” said Ginny. “I don’t think we’ll be able to get much snuggling in at the Burrow.”

After a few whispered words and a little nuzzling from Hermione, they had their own blanket and pillow. The next few hours were fairly quiet until they heard the lunch trolley in the corridor.

As they finished up a less than healthy lunch of tasty snacks, Ron asked, “Well Harry, have you planned how to tell my parents Ginny is your girlfriend?”

Harry looked up and at Ginny. “You’ve told them haven’t you?”

“Of course not,” Ginny quipped. “That’s your job.”

Harry looked at her for a moment. Was this a new side to Ginny or had she always been this teasing and mischievous and he just hadn’t noticed. “Oh.”

The afternoon was growing quite gray when the Hogwarts Express pulled into Kings Cross Station amid a great release of steam and squealing of brakes. There weren’t many parents on the platform, but a number of serious looking wizards were evenly spaced throughout the area. Since they didn’t see anyone they knew, they assumed they were all waiting on the Muggle side. They gathered the few belongings they’d brought for the long weekend and queued up to go through the barrier.

Arriving on the Muggle side, they found Molly and Mrs. Granger almost immediately. After hugs all around, they started for the exit. Mrs. Granger would give them a ride to the Leaky Cauldron where they’d Floo to the Burrow. Since her car wasn’t magically modified, it was a tight squeeze until Molly, Harry, and Ginny got out. Ron would accompany Hermione home for part of the weekend.

During the ride and time at the Leaky Cauldron, Harry had to be very careful not to take Ginny’s hand or put his arm around her since he wasn’t sure how he was going to explain their new relationship just yet. After snuggling all afternoon, this was very difficult. He couldn’t believe how different things were now that he’d discovered his feelings for her.

Arriving at the Burrow, they found the twins and Arthur already there. Since it was only Harry and Ginny, it was a relatively quiet homecoming. Molly brought a pot of tea into the living room as they sat down to relax in front of the cheerfully blazing fire for a few minutes before she started dinner. No one seemed to take any special note when Ginny sat next to Harry on the couch. Harry continually worried something would be noticed.

As they finished their first cup of tea, George challenged Fred to a quick game of Exploding Snap. With extra room on the couch, Ginny kicked her shoes off, wiggled around and put her feet on Harry’s lap and wiggled her toes while giving Harry an appealing look.

Harry’s eyes went wide as he glanced quickly at the twins and then Molly and Arthur. Then he looked at Ginny who was still giving him the appealing look as she wiggled her feet for added emphasis.

“Ginny,” said Molly in surprise, “what do you think you’re doing?”

Ginny shrugged and grinned. “I just wanted Harry to rub my feet for me.”

By now, everyone’s attention was focused on Harry and Ginny. Fred and George appeared especially interested.

“Don’t be silly,” admonished Molly. “Come on into the kitchen and give me a hand with dinner before you embarrass Harry any more than you already have.”

“Oh, all right,” said Ginny sitting up and pulling her shoes back on. Finishing, she leaned towards Harry and whispered, “You got off for now.” She leaned a little closer and before Harry could react, get him a quick kiss on the lips and bounded out of the living room into the kitchen.

“Uh, Harry, was that a kiss we just saw?” said George looking intently at Harry.

“Yeah, Harry, and what was all that business with her feet?” said Fred. “It looked an awful lot like she expected you to know what she wanted.”

Looking at the three expectant faces looking at him, he knew he must have turned several shades of red by now. “Erm, actually, I think Ginny just wanted to make sure I tell you we’re dating,” said Harry.

“Dating?” said Fred looking at George. “I’ve never heard of anyone just dating expecting to get their feet rubbed, have you?”

George scratched his head, “Now that you mention it, I’ve never heard of anything like that either. That’s usually the kind of thing I hear newlyweds do for each other.”

“OK, guys, I think we’ve had enough fun at Harry’s expense, don’t you think?” interrupted Arthur.

“Not really,” said George. He looked about to say more but Ginny came back in and sat down with Harry again.

“Have you told them yet?” she asked mischievously.

“Well, he told us you two are madly in love, but he still hasn’t explained why he rubs your feet,” said Fred straight faced.

Ginny glanced at Harry before responding. “We may be, but I highly doubt Harry said that, did he, Dad?”

Arthur chuckled, “I think that’s enough. Now let’s go in and eat before you two get yourselves into trouble with Ginny.”

Over dinner, Harry learned that Arthur and Molly had known he and Ginny were dating almost from the beginning. There was a little more teasing, but for the most part, their new status was happily accepted by the twins. Unfortunately, Harry was sure massaging Ginny’s feet would reappear to haunt him at a later date.

After setting the kitchen straight after dinner, Molly came in and watched her children play a few games of exploding snap. Shortly thereafter, Fred and George took their leave. Arthur and Molly consented to a couple of quick games and then turned in after telling Harry and Ginny not to stay up too late.

Harry noted Ginny’s eyes light up at that. After another game to give her parents adequate time to go to bed, she said, “I guess this means we can have some quality time without worrying about Ron getting in a snit.”

“You aren’t worried your parents might come back down,” asked Harry a little nervously.

“I used to come down and just sit by the fire for a while all the time and Mum never comes down after she goes to bed,” said Ginny with a big grin. “Now, the fire’s to nice to waste and the couch looks entirely too comfortable to neglect.”

Ginny arranged the cushions so they could stretch out comfortably. After enjoying a little very high quality time, they decided to just snuggle for a while. It was very nice not to have Ron making comments or wondering where they’d been and what they’d been doing. After a while as the fire was dying down, Ginny reached down a grabbed the hearth rug and pulled it over them. After getting comfortably covered, she snuggled close to Harry with her head against his cheek and neck.

Molly woke up with her mouth feeling very dry. She must have been breathing through her mouth for it to be that dry. Going to the bathroom to get something to drink, she thought to check on the children. Ron’s door was still open and upon looking in, Harry wasn’t in his bed. She hurriedly checked Ginny’s door which was also open — no Ginny. She breathed a small sigh of relief. After all, they weren’t very likely to do anything too bad in the living room.

She quietly went down the stairs and didn’t see anyone in the kitchen. No one appeared to be in the living room either until she walked over to the smoldering fire. She found them asleep together on the couch under the hearth rug. If she hadn’t been so worried about what she’d find, she’d have thought they looked very sweet like that. After all, Harry’s sudden interest in Ginny was nothing if not very surprising after all this time.

Looking at the clock on the mantle, it was 2:00 AM. She knew Ginny stayed up late by herself quite often when she was home. Surely they wouldn’t have accidentally gone to sleep. Sitting in the chair by the fire she just watched them for a few minutes. The realization slowly crept in that Ginny wasn’t their little baby girl any more. They looked so peaceful and happy. She could only hope that for Ginny’s sake this was for real with Harry.

Now that she’d relaxed a little bit, she chuckled to herself. The whole story about how this came about was hilarious. Poor Harry, he must have really been confused over what was happening and Ron still didn’t know what had really happened. Knowing how reserved Harry could be where girls were concerned, she could just imagine his surprise when he realized the paper he’d thought he’d handed in wasn’t the one that had been read. Even she didn’t know the subject of that other paper. She couldn’t help it when she thought of Ginny’s posts, she started chuckling out loud. The two papers must have been similar enough that Harry didn’t pick up on the mistake earlier.

Molly’s chuckling was enough to awaken Harry. At first he looked at Ginny. Even without his glasses on, he could tell she was still asleep. Without thinking, he gave her a gentile kiss on her head. Then he heard it again. Feeling fear rise in him, he looked over Ginny’s head and could just make out someone sitting by the fire. His eyes went very wide.

Trying to reach for his glasses where Ginny had put them, he disturbed Ginny and she snuggled a little closer with a soft contented purr. With his glasses on, he could see Mrs. Weasley quite sharply. His heart rose into his throat.

Molly couldn’t help it. She knew she should appear upset and stern, but seeing Harry looking so “caught” after kissing Ginny while Ginny just snuggled closer was for some reason just too funny. She started chuckling even louder.

Harry didn’t know what to do. Mrs. Weasley was laughing at them for some reason. Was that what she did before strangling him or something for sleeping with her daughter?

“Harry, dear, don’t look so scared,” she said as she got her chuckling under control. “I know I should be upset with you two, but seeing you here looking so happy together just looked too sweet and…hopefully…innocent. Then I got to thinking about Ginny’s letters of how you got together and I just couldn’t help laughing.”

Harry’s eyes went even wider. He hadn’t considered Ginny might tell her mother about what had happened. “Erm, did she tell you about me writing the paper?” Harry asked softly. Surely she hadn’t told that.

“Yes, she did,” said Molly said more seriously. “Arthur and I are just a little concerned that everything happened so suddenly. We just don’t want to see Ginny…or you hurt.”

Harry couldn’t believe he was having this conversation with Mrs. Weasley much less with Ginny asleep in his arms. “Mrs. Weasley, I don’t pretend to understand it either. I just know I’m happier than I’ve ever been and for some reason, it just seems like it was always supposed to be this way. I know where my heart belongs, now I just hope you and Mr. Weasley are OK with us being together.”

Molly was quite surprised and flattered to hear this from Harry. “Of course we are, Harry. We just think you should be sure and be careful,” she said giving him a look at the end which he understood perfectly. “Now, why don’t we get something to drink and go up to bed…separately.

Harry knew he was turning red as he gently shook Ginny to wake her up. He had a little difficulty as she kept snuggling closer and mumbling not to bother her.

Finally, she woke up enough to say, “What time is it?”

Harry glanced at Mrs. Weasley before looking at the clock. “Erm, it’s 2 o’clock, Ginny.”

“Umm, that’s not too bad,” she said sleepily. “Let’s snuggle a while longer. We just don’t want Mum to find us.” She looked up at him and gave him a kiss and pulled back. “Why have you got your glasses on?”

With a quick glance over to Mrs. Weasley he said, “Because I’ve been talking to your mum.”

“What?” Ginny said coming wider awake. She squirmed around to look behind her and, “Mum!” she exclaimed as she quickly tried to think what she might have just said.

Molly just smiled and shook her head. This was one of those moments she’d always cherish when she thought back on it…she hoped.

Harry woke up the next morning at his usual time. As he remembered what had happened earlier that morning he immediately felt embarrassed. Here he’d barely told the Weasleys he and Ginny were dating and they’d been caught asleep together under the hearthrug. Thank God they were only asleep. On second thought, Mrs. Weasley had seen them kiss. He thought he’d get up and go on down and get something to drink before anyone else was up so it wouldn’t be so awkward. It would also give him time to think before seeing Mrs. Weasley again. Arriving in the kitchen, he was surprised to find Mrs. Weasley already up sipping a cup of coffee.

“Good morning, Harry,” she said. “Would you like some coffee?”

Once again, Harry felt embarrassed. What was he going to say after last night? “Yes, please.”

“I want you to know I was really worried when you weren’t in your rooms last night,” Molly said as she poured him a cup of coffee. “I should have been more upset, but after seeing that you had just gone to sleep and looked so sweet, I couldn’t help just sitting for a minute. You were both really funny waking up.”

“I have to admit, I was surprised,” said Harry.

“Speaking of being surprised,” said Mrs. Weasley smiling, “weren’t you at least a little suspicious about what people were saying to you before that Friday?”

“Well, you see,” said Harry looking around to be sure no one else was there, “the paper I thought I’d handed in was about deciding to tell Ron and Hermione about what Dumbledore told me after the fight last spring. So everything everybody, including Dumbledore, said seemed to fit in. Snape and Malfoy were the only ones who said anything that I should have picked up on. I think everybody in the school knew except me.”

“Oh, so there’s more than we know about the fight?” asked Molly in surprise.

“Uh, I shouldn’t have said that,” said Harry looking nervous. “I never dreamed that paper would be read by anyone other than Firenze. Please don’t say anything to anybody or several of us could be in much greater danger.”

“Does Ginny know?” Molly asked becoming worried now.

“Yeah,” said Harry nodding. “Dumbledore told her while Malfoy and I were with Madame Pomfrey. And please don’t even hint she knows anything to anybody. It scares me more than anything that Voldemort might come after her.”

Molly was silent for a moment. “Harry, it worries me enough that there is more we don’t know and Ginny knows it. But it’s especially worrisome that Dumbledore would personally tell Ginny after seeing your paper.”

“I know,” said Harry, “it bothered me too since I hadn’t planned to tell her. I just thought Dumbledore felt she needed to know what she’d be getting into if she dated me.”

Molly pondered this. Harry apparently didn’t understand that headmasters don’t usually get involved when students start dating. There had to be more to it than what Harry was telling her and apparently he wasn’t aware of it. Well, there was no point in bothering him with it. She’d ask Dumbledore as soon as she got a chance.

“Well, I guess we’ll just have to live with it,” said Molly. “I just want the two of you to be extra careful.”

“I know and we’ll be careful,” said Harry. “You should know, I never intended for anyone to ever see the paper I wrote about Ginny. I’d planned to burn it but got sidetracked. One of the first things I told Ginny was that I’d rather lose her to someone else than lose her to Voldemort.”

Harry had really amazed Molly. He’d never spoken this openly about anything personal that she could remember. That he’d speak this openly said he’d grown up a lot very quickly in addition to falling for Ginny very quickly. She really needed to have that discussion with Dumbledore.

“Morning,” said Ginny cheerfully as she came into the kitchen. She stopped and looked at her mum and Harry. “”Why’s everyone so glum?”

Molly gave Ginny a small smile and went over and gave her a hug. “Harry was just telling me some things about your coming together you didn’t mention.”

Ginny immediately looked at Harry. “Did you tell her about the…?”

“No!” Harry interrupted her since he was afraid she was going to mention the prophesy.

“Now you’re really worrying me,” said Molly full of concern.

“Please, Mrs. Weasley, we can’t say more here,” said Harry pleadingly. “If you really want to know, ask Dumbledore. If he’ll tell you, it’s alright with me.”

Molly looked from one to the other for a moment. Since Harry’d told her to ask Dumbledore, now she didn’t have to sneak around to do it. “All right, I will,” she said.

“Mum, can Harry and I walk into town this afternoon?” Ginny asked changing the subject.

“I don’t think that’s such a good idea,” said Molly quickly. “You can Floo to Diagon Alley if you want as long as you don’t go out into London or Knockturn Alley. If you really want to walk to town, I’ll go with you after lunch.” Seeing the look of disappointment on Ginny’s face, she knew Ginny had wanted to be alone with Harry. Since Harry didn’t look disappointed, it was probably Ginny’s idea and Harry hadn’t been told yet. Well, there was no point in taking unnecessary risks, especially after what she’d heard this morning.

They thought it was a little suspicious when Arthur came home for a while during the morning and that Molly was nowhere to be found. It didn’t take a great leap of imagination to guess where she’d gone and it wasn’t to buy fresh fish for dinner. Arthur acted like he was disappointed that he’d missed her, but he seemed to be straining to say so.

Later in the morning, Molly reappeared and after saying hello and giving Harry and Ginny a long hug, took Arthur up to their bedroom. Twenty minutes later, they came back down the stairs and Harry and Ginny got more hugs. Now Harry was beginning to worry.

“Let’s go sit in the kitchen,” said Molly. After they took seats and Arthur cast several privacy spells, she began. “I suppose you’ve guessed where I’ve been. I won’t go into detail since I know you already know about it. We don’t want either of you sneaking off and not telling us where you’re going or what you’re doing while you’re here. Have you still got the other paper — the one about telling Ron and Hermione?”

“Uh, yeah, why?” asked Harry.

“Do they know about your plans to tell them?” she continued.

“No.” said Harry.

“Well, we all agree they shouldn’t know. In fact no one else should know. That knowledge is simply too dangerous,” said Molly very seriously. “If you have the paper here, you should destroy it immediately.” Seeing Harry shake his head, she continued, “If it’s at Hogwarts, Dumbledore will have one of the house elves get it and destroy it before anyone sees it.

Molly looked at Arthur, then at Harry and Ginny. “We’re happy for both of you that you’re…dating. We just want you to be careful.” Glancing at Arthur again, she took a breath and continued, “If you want some…time to yourselves, let us know and you can use the living room.” Seeing both Harry and Ginny turn a little pink at that while obviously trying to suppress grins confirmed in her mind what Ginny had had in mind.

After a light lunch, they all walked into town where Arthur and Molly were very accommodating about letting Harry and Ginny wander around looking in the store windows. After a while, they went to the market where Molly did buy fresh fish for dinner. Harry learned much of the family would be there that night for their observance of Good Friday since it would be awkward for all of them to go to church.

It was mid afternoon when they arrived back at the Burrow. Harry and Ginny went into the living room. They were both perplexed at the treatment they were receiving. Neither could see how knowledge of the prophesy would warrant this treatment. They were surprised when Arthur ands Molly said they were going upstairs to rest a while before starting dinner and that Percy and the twins would arrive around six.

After they’d gone upstairs, Harry and Ginny just looked at each other.

“Are your parents really telling us to have some quality time?” said Harry.

Ginny shrugged. “I don’t know what Dumbledore told her, but it works for me,” Ginny said as she snuggled closer.

“Doesn’t it bother you your parents know what we’re doing?” asked Harry in surprise. He knew what Molly’d said, but it was kind of hard to believe after being caught the night before.

“Maybe a little,” said Ginny grinning. “It was more fun before we had permission. Wait until Ron hears we can have quality time at home whenever we want it.”

After appropriate quality time, they snuggled up and rested since there was nothing else to do until later. They were resting quite well and thus didn’t notice Arthur and Molly look in on them and return to the kitchen to start dinner without bothering them. They of course also didn’t see the tears come to Molly’s eyes.

When Fred and George arrived, leaving Harry and Ginny alone were not on their agenda after finding them in each other’s arms asleep on the couch.

“Why brother dear, what do we have here,” whispered Fred gleefully.

“I see, I see,” said George equally gleefully.

“What think you we should do,” whispered Fred.

“First, cut the rhymes. That Rhyming Powder wore off hours ago,” said George.

“Kill joy,” retorted Fred.

“Now, let me see, a sticking spell should do quite nicely,” said George. He paused and gave Fred an irritated look. “Now you’ve got me doing it.”

“And we could add a binding spell just to be sure,” added Fred. “Then, we can let Percy find them.”

“You are indeed a genius,” said George. A moment later and the deeds were done.

Going back into the kitchen, Molly asked them, “Are they getting up?”

“Not yet, Mum. They looked so sweet and lovy dovy we thought we’d let them rest a while longer. Percy can get them up when he gets here.”

Molly glanced at Arthur. The twins were obviously up to something. Oh well, it was their hide once Ginny caught them.

It wasn’t long before Percy arrived. After kissing his mum, he went in to get Harry and Ginny up. As he hadn’t been told what to expect, he was quite surprised to see Harry and Ginny snuggled up on the couch under the hearth rug.

“Hey guys, it’s dinner time,” he said.

Harry’s eyes popped open. ‘Not again,’ he groaned to himself. As he made to get up, he couldn’t move away from Ginny.

By now, Ginny was awake too and had also discovered she was tightly bound to Harry and stuck together at the cheek. “Fred and George Weasley,” Ginny yelled, “you’d better get in here right now unless you want Bat Bogeys for the rest of the weekend.”

“Ginny, that was my ear,” said Harry. He’d have rubbed it but his arms were firmly bound around Ginny.

“Sorry,” said Ginny, “but they’re going to be in so much trouble if they don’t get us out of this right now. You’d better hurry,” she added loudly as Harry winced again.

“Did you call?” said George innocently.

Percy meanwhile, had quietly exited the living room not wanting to be caught in the cross fire.

“My oh my, but you two are tight aren’t you,” said Fred.

“Fred Weasley…” Ginny began.

“All right, all right,” Fred said. He took out his wand and remover the binding spell saying, “There, you’re free,” and started for the kitchen.

The ropes vanished, but they were still stuck together.

“Fred, George,” said Harry, “I really don’t want to see a demonstration of what Ginny can do when she’s really mad.”

“Ok,” said George coming back into the room. “No sense of humour in you two. We just thought you’d like an excuse to be together a little longer.” With that, he released the sticking spell and hurried back to the kitchen, probably for his own protection.

Harry and Ginny paid a small price for going to sleep on the couch again. Even Percy made a comment or two, but his were much tamer than the twins’ comments. All in all, it was a very nice evening. After Percy and the twins left, Molly made it clear “permission” didn’t include spending the night on the couch.

Ron and Hermione arrived in time for lunch Saturday. They were surprised to learn they had to get permission to leave the yard. They were even more surprised to see Harry and Ginny snuggle up on the couch after lunch.

“Uh, Ginny, aren’t you a little concerned that Mum or Dad might come in?” said Ron.

“Not really,” said Ginny snuggling a little closer.

“And why not?” said Ron.

“Because she said Harry and I can use the living room if we want some private time,” said Ginny.

“I smell a story here,” said Hermione leaning forward with a growing grin. “What have you two been up to?”

“Not much really,” said Ginny smugly. “Harry and I just went to sleep on the couch Thursday night and Mum found us about 2:00 in the morning.”

“What’d she say?” gasped Hermione.

“I don’t know. Harry didn’t wake me up until they’d been talking for a while,” said Ginny.

Now attention shifted to Harry. “Are we going to have to ask?” said Ron.

Harry grinned. “I just told her how I felt about Ginny.”

“And?” said Ron impatiently when Harry didn’t say more.

“She said we could use the living room if we wanted some private time because she doesn’t want us sneaking off to be alone because of Voldemort.”

“You mean to tell us she’s let you two snog your little heads off with nothing to worry about?” said Ron in disbelief. Harry had to be having him on.

“Uh huh,” said Harry.

“I wouldn’t say there’s totally nothing to worry about,” said Ginny. “That depends on whether the twins are around.”

“Did they catch you too?” said Hermione.

“Yeah they did,” said Harry. “They bound us and glued us together while we were asleep together and let Percy find us. I think they’re still waiting to see what Ginny has in store for them now.”

“It sounds like you’ve been enjoying yourselves,” said Hermione when she finished laughing.

“Well, we’ve played exploding snap and Mum and Dad walked into town with us yesterday afternoon,” said Ginny. “What’d you do?”

“Oh, we went out to eat and saw a movie Thursday,” said Hermione. “And yesterday, we went shopping and some relatives came over for dinner. We didn’t have the use of the living room couch.”

“I still think there’s something fishy going on,” said Ron looking from Harry to Ginny. “I bet if Mum should walk in on Hermione and me, she’d say something.”

“She’d probably want to check with Hermione’s mum to be sure it’s OK,” said Ginny stifling a yawn. “Why don’t we take a short nap and then see if Mum will let us go to Diagon Alley.”

“I don’t believe you two,” said Ron as he watched Ginny turn over and snuggle her face in against Harry’s neck.

Harry, for his part, just grinned back at Ron. He didn’t like it, but Ron and Hermione couldn’t know about the prophesy yet. Why was a good question, but right now, he was satisfied to be holding Ginny in his arms. He was happy to see Ron and Hermione finally snuggle up together too.

Later that afternoon at Florean Fortescue’s, they sat enjoying dishes of ice cream. Conversation had mostly been light subjects when Ron slipped in the question that had been on his mind for some time.

“Harry, what ever happened to the other paper that you intended to turn in to Firenze?” Ron asked.

Harry paused with a spoonful of ice cream in mid air. How could Ron know anything about that? Then for once in his life, he had a good idea in time to use it. “Oh, that,” he mumbled and after a glance at Ginny who was looking at him intently. “No one was supposed to know about that one.”

“Well, what was it about?” said Ron as he and Hermione looked on expectantly.

After looking at Ginny, Harry said, “I’d intended to turn it in instead of the one I did, but I made a mistake. As it turned out, it was a very good mistake. Anyway, the other one wasn’t very good and I burned it.” Harry noted Ginny seemed to relax a little at that statement.

Ron and Hermione looked at each other. Hermione’s guess had been right. There had been another paper.

“Which one did you write first?” asked Hermione.

Harry smiled. “The one about Ginny. Once I got started, I just couldn’t seem to stop.”

“Wow,” said Hermione. “It’s almost like destiny took over and got you two together…at last.”

Harry chuckled, “I don’t know, but if that’s what brought us together, then I’ll be forever grateful to this destiny.”

Far to the north, Professors McGonagall and Dumbledore sat watching the little instrument whir seemingly happily on its table as they ate ice cream of their own.


Reviews 8
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear