Search:

SIYE Time:13:35 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Hide-And-Seek
By Feral Black Gryphon

- Text Size +

Category: Muggle Picnic Challenge (2005-2)
Characters:None
Genres: Angst, Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 33
Summary: ** Honorable Mention in the Muggle Picnic Challenge **
Ginny has an absurd relationship with Harry. She is the only one at Hogwarts with whom he seems to relate. When Harry secludes himself from the world after the events at the Ministry, Ginny takes it upon herself to find him again, not realizing just how deeply this game of hide-and-seek will affect them. ~ This story is rated PG-13 for some language.
Hitcount: Story Total: 4852



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.





ChapterPrinter


Disclaimer ~ The world of Harry Potter belongs to JKR. My only profit will be your reviews. No copyright infringement is intended.

Hide-And-Seek


Feral Black Gryphon



~ o ~ o ~ o ~ o ~



It was a cool Tuesday night in early April. The blazing fire in the Gryffindor Common Room spat sparks that sizzled with steam upon hitting the stone floor, wet with water tracked in by first years. The wisps of steam rose, wavered, and vanished.

‘…each separate, dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.’

Poe. That was what it reminded Ginny of. A poem entitled The Raven, by Edgar Allan Poe, that she had read once in a Muggle literature book she had found in her father’s workshop.

Fifth year Ginny Weasley sat now in the Common Room, staring into the fire, exhausted by a long day that had ended with a bang in Double Potions. Quite literally with a bang. A Hufflepuff in her class, Tracy Nixon, had blown up her cauldron, singeing Ginny’s hair.

Focusing on her surroundings, Ginny registered that she wasn’t alone, although it was getting quite late. The Creevy brothers sat at a table, Colin helping Dennis with Transfiguration. Parvati, Dean, and Seamus were sitting on the coach, heatedly discussing a new band, ‘Phoenix Rising,’ and Harry…

He looked up at her as if sensing her thoughts. This did not surprise her, though. She had concluded over the summer that the pair of them shared an innate understanding of one another. She had been the only person who had truly understood him, to succeed in communicating with him, since the incident at the Ministry. Perhaps that was why he would talk with her now and rarely with anyone else.

“Is something on your mind, Ginny?”

You are, Harry. You are always on my mind, Ginny thought sullenly, knowing that there was no way to express to him how much she worried about him without upsetting him. Knowing that she couldn’t risk telling him all the things she wished she could. He seemed to get the idea though, and looked down at his hands as if suddenly fascinated by them, giving Ginny a view of the top of his head and his messy, black hair.

Hermione and Ron entered the Common Room then, having just returned from a Prefect meeting, and Ginny was somewhat thankful for the interruption.

“Excuse me, everyone,” Hermione asserted. “We would appreciate your attention.” All conversation ended as seven pairs of eyes trained on Hermione and Ron.

“As I’m sure you are all aware,” Ron took over, “attacks on wizarding and Muggle families are at an all time high.” Ginny sensed, more than saw, Harry tense up. Indeed, upon closer observation, she found that he had closed his eyes and that his jaw and his fists clenched tightly. “So, to help reduce stress, Dumbledore advised some sort of outdoor activity.”

“We suggested a Muggle themed picnic,” Hermione concluded. “Does that idea appeal to everyone?” The nodding heads were very nearly unanimous.

“No,” Harry stated bluntly.

“I beg your pardon,” Hermione returned, cautiously, worry etched clearly on her face. She knew what was coming, Ginny supposed.

“I think it’s a terrible idea,” he replied to Hermione. She stared at him as if he had lobsters coming out his ears. He adamantly continued. “What is the point in trying to raise everyone’s hopes? Having a picnic won’t stop Voldemort from killing people!”

Everyone else in the room, save Hermione and Ginny, cringed visibly, and the stillness of the room was tangible. Harry fell into a stoic silence at their reactions. Ginny shook her head.

This calls for action.

“We’re having a Muggle picnic, Harry,” Ginny stated calmly but firmly, “and you will be attending.” She mentally steeled herself.

“Like Hell I’ll be attending! I-”

“You will,” Ginny cut him off, brandishing her wand threateningly for emphasis, “or with God as my witness, I will Bat Bogey Hex you into oblivion!” His eyes carefully followed her wand tip, assessing the situation, she presumed.

“What, do you plan on trailing me the whole time?”

“If it comes to that,” she retorted, locking her warm, brown eyes to his vividly green eyes. For a fleeting moment, she felt certain that she detected an emotion that was neither anger nor grief in those vibrant eyes. However, it was so foreign, so alien to him, that she could not manage to identify it before he had carefully masked himself once again. Somewhere in the back of her mind, she knew that everyone was watching them intently.

“I hope you realize,” he stated simply, “that even if you force me to go, I will be gone the instant you turn your back on me.” Ginny glared at him.

“I’ll just have to make it a point not to take my eyes off of you, then.” Wearing a triumphant smile, Ginny gave Harry a friendly hug, mostly just to irk him, and said goodnight to all before quietly retreating to her dormitory.

~ o ~ o ~ o ~ o ~


After classes and dinner had ended, the following Wednesday evening was devoted entirely to the planning of the picnic. Hermione had created a team of leaders, almost entirely Muggle-borns and half-bloods who best understood Muggle tradition, to help facilitate the event for the benefit of the school. The team consisted of Hermione, Seamus, Dean, Colin, Dennis, Justin from Hufflepuff, Luna from Ravenclaw, Neville, Ron, Ginny herself, and much to his chagrin, Harry. Of course, Ginny had volunteered him for that. Hermione had decided to hold the meeting in the library.

Ginny watched the group, carefully observing each individual’s behaviors. Most were enthused, and none were as excited as Hermione. Actually, the only one who wasn’t excited was…

She felt him watching her. They had been doing this to each other very often recently. One would sense the other watching them, or one would know if the other needed to talk. Of course, Ginny always desired to talk to Harry, just as she knew he always wanted to talk to her. She knew he hid a secret, and she was certain that he knew she was hiding one too.

She turned to meet his gaze, blocking out Hermione, who was still speaking animatedly, taking suggestions and assigning jobs. Ginny could see that he didn’t really want to be there, that he would prefer to be alone, relishing his own misery. That was the problem. She cared about him deeply, and all she wanted was to help lift him up out of the pit he had allowed to trap him. Well, maybe that wasn’t all she wanted.

Ginny turned her attention back to Hermione who was writing assignments in the air with her wand, leaving behind a trail of silver letters. Ginny scanned the list and groaned when she saw that Hermione had placed Ron in charge of the barbecue grill. Making a mental note not to eat at the picnic, Ginny found her name, listed alongside Harry’s, under ‘Recreation Development and Set-Up.’

“…and that leaves Harry and Ginny. It is a reasonably simple job; just make any necessary decisions and preparations for the sack race, the his and her three-legged race, and hide-and-seek, and Justin has suggested that we ought to play this in the dark. With that said, the picnic begins this Saturday at eleven o’clock sharp, so make sure that you take care of your responsibilities before then. I bid you all good night.”

Hermione swept out of the room, and the others filed out after, discussing their tasks with their partners or groups. Harry stood and left with Ginny. It was still fairly early, another full hour until curfew, so the two of them wandered aimlessly, discussing their job. They traversed staircases, turned corners, and trekked down deserted corridors.

“Okay, Harry, what exactly is a sack race?” Ginny asked. Harry smiled and rolled his eyes at her ignorance toward all things Muggle. She tried to look offended, but he just chuckled and answered.

“Everybody involved gets inside a burlap sack, pulled up to your waist. Then you race, trying to be the first to the finish line.” She nodded.

“Okay. And the his and her three-legged race? I don’t know anybody with three legs.” Harry laughed, seemingly genuinely this time, before composing himself.

“In this one, a guy and a girl stand side-by-side and tie their inside legs together. Trying not to fall, they race to the finish line.” Ginny smiled and nodded. That did not sound so hard.

“And what about the hide-and-sneak game?” Harry burst out laughing this time, and it made Ginny feel light at heart. The only time she saw him comfortable, at ease with the world, was when they were alone together. She suddenly found herself wishing that this happened more often.

“May I ask, Mr. Potter, what is so funny?” Ginny looked up at Snape, who had appeared as if from nowhere. His hooked nose loomed out over them, and strings of greasy hair clung to his skull, framing his dark, lifeless eyes. If she was not used to the sight of him by now, Ginny felt sure she would have been completely revolted.

“It was just something I said,” Ginny said, answering for Harry before he could say something to get himself in trouble. Judging the way he was eying their Professor, she felt certain that he would say something stupid if only given the opportunity.

“It is late, Ms. Weasley, and-”

“It is not curfew yet,” Ginny interrupted. “We are working on plans for the picnic. He was about to answer a question I had about a game. Goodnight, Professor,” she said, perhaps slightly more tersely than was necessary, but she hurried Harry along before Snape could reply or dock house points.

Harry stopped Ginny after they had reached the end of the hall and turned a corner. A suit of armor reflected the light of a single torch that burned on the wall.

“I, er, I mean…thanks, Ginny.” She smiled at him.

He’s so cute when he isn’t upset.

“You’re welcome, Harry. Now, about hide-and-sneak.” Harry laughed again. “What?”

“It’s called hide-and seek, Ginny. One person is chosen to be ‘it.’ Everyone else hides. The person who is ‘it’ searches for people. Everyone else tries to get back to the base. If you’re tagged before you get back, you’re ‘it,’ unless you tag somebody else who isn’t at the base yet. Simply put, hide, and then run for the base. If you’re ‘it,’ tag someone and run for the base. Make sense?” Ginny had to think about it for a while.

“Yeah, I guess so. Thank you, Harry.”

“No problem,” Harry replied. Ginny stopped and looked at where they were. She found herself facing the Room of Requirements. “Well, as long as we’re here, we may as well get started.” Harry paced in front of the door thrice and opened it. Inside, Ginny found heaps of burlap sacks, coils of rope, small candy prizes for race winners, and a long list of names.

“What’s this?” she asked, picking up the list.

“A list of partners for the his and her three-legged race. The room knows who will be comfortable racing with whom. It saves us the trouble of pairing people up, and should eliminate arguments over race partners.” Ginny scanned the list.

“Hmm. It tells who you’re comfortable tying your leg to, then?” Harry shrugged.

“Yeah, pretty much. Why?” Ginny raised an eyebrow.

“It paired Ron and Hermione together, for one.” Harry chuckled at this, a deep sound that thrilled Ginny to no end. When he stopped, she continued, this time in a lower voice.

“It’s paired us together, too.” Harry met her gaze. His eyes, carefully trained to reveal nothing, were stunningly bright.

“I don’t have many female friends, and to be honest, you’re the only one I would feel comfortable being tied to.” Ginny smiled mischievously.

“Oh, but Harry, what about all of your lady admirers from the DA?” Harry made a face.

She was referring to a rather large group of giggling girls who had joined the DA this year simply because Harry was running it. As one of them had said at the last meeting, “Quidditch playing is definitely doing him some good.”

Harry chose to ignore these girls, though. When he taught the DA, he became very straightforward and generally silent, only speaking when necessary. His eyes became cold, his face impassive. He acted as if he was performing a civil duty, or acquiescing to obligations unbeknownst to the rest of them. He became indifferent to his personal relationships with people, almost to the point of hostility.

That’s probably what turns those little tramps on, actually, Ginny thought. That, and his abs. His obsessive Quidditch training is probably the best way he knows to deal with what he’s been going through.

Taking a sack, Harry filled it with more sacks, coils of rope, and handfuls of candy. Throwing the lot over his shoulder, he let Ginny grab the list, and together they returned to the Common Room in companionable silence.

She knew it was an ephemeral state, though, for as soon as they passed back into the Common Room, Harry’s presence changed. He stopped looking comfortable and happy in favor of being moody and depressed. He immediately shielded himself, hid himself from everyone else, as if he had something to conceal.

There were very few people left in the Common Room, but Harry wanted nothing to do with socialization. Saying goodnight to Ginny, he set aside the sack and ascended the staircase into the boys’ dormitory. Ginny watched him go. There was something about everybody that Harry could not seem to handle. She knew how fun and caring he could be, but he was constantly hiding from the world. She had a suspicion that she was the one who could find him again, and so she made up her mind. She was going to use this picnic to her advantage. Already, her mind was forming a plan…

~ o ~ o ~ o ~ o ~


On Friday, the day before the picnic, Ginny’s classes ended with Transfiguration. Her classes were growing steadily harder, but she was up to the challenge. Still, having something to do made school infinitely easier, and because Hogsmeade trips had been closed indefinitely due to Death Eater attacks, Ginny was eager for the picnic.

This day, however, she had something else to take her mind off things. She had Quidditch.

Katie Bell had been designated Captain of the Gryffindor Quidditch team early in the year, and Harry had been reinstated as Seeker. Ginny had tried out and received a Chaser position, along with Colin Creevy and a fourth year named Joshua Richardson. Katrina Valiant and, of all people, Neville Longbottom, had been chosen as the teams new Beaters.

Gripping her Nimbus 2002, a new model that was easily a match for the Firebolt and had come out just recently, she made her way onto the pitch for practice.

The broom had been a birthday gift from Harry. She did not know how he even knew when her birthday was, but he had left it on her bed on the eleventh of August. Since then, however, he had completely ignored Hermione’s and Ron’s birthdays. Not wanting to upset them, she hadn’t told either of them that the broom was from Harry, but instead told them it was from a ‘friend’ and left it at that.

Soaring into the air, Ginny observed Harry as he hunted for the Snitch.

Flying is good for him, she thought to herself. He doesn’t have to deal with other people during Quidditch. Since he’s Seeker, he works alone. It’s one of the only things he ever seems to enjoy.

Of course, the only other thing he seemed to enjoy was her company. Nevertheless, flying gave him a chance to be alone, to do what he enjoyed, what he was best at, without being bothered.

Catching the Quaffle from Colin, she passed it off to Joshua for an easy score. She did not know how she did it, but she seemed to be able to play Quidditch perfectly well while focusing on anything else: homework, friends, Harry…

Ginny dodged a Bludger and flew on, still observing the carefree way in which Harry swept across the field in search of the Snitch. She winced as she caught her own pun.

Harry really can be distracting, can’t he? I’m barely paying attention to the practice. Still, Ginny knew she would not fall or crash. She had too much experience at her own brand of multitasking.

Eventually, Katie blew the whistle, and the team landed on the ground. Harry immediately returned to his aloof state of seclusion.

“Pardon me, miss.” Ginny turned, as she did not recognize the voice. She stopped abruptly when she saw that Harry was watching her.

Darn it, Ginny, you need to be more careful! she scolded herself. She avoided Harry’s eyes, hoping that he wouldn’t notice anything. She had to assume that he did not as he said nothing to her on their way back to the castle.

They arrived in the Common Room just as most people began to go to dinner. Ginny was usually hungry after practice, and that day was no different. On her way to the Great Hall, Harry caught up with her and matched his pace with hers. He did not say anything, but she could feel the tension lifting away, dissipating, leaving them both in comfort as they walked down the hall.

Harry paused at the doors to the Great Hall, took a deep breath, and pushed them open. Ginny followed him in, aware that the noise, the clamor, the presence of so many people, was making Harry uncomfortable. With a sigh, she sat next to him at the Gryffindor table. The main topic of choice was the picnic, and Harry decided not to contribute to the conversation.

Somehow I doubt he would have anything positive to say.

Ginny piled food onto her plate. She was confident that this picnic would provide her with an opening to get at Harry. She would bring him around, and she knew exactly where to begin.

~ o ~ o ~ o ~ o ~


The Saturday of the picnic dawned clear and bright. Hermione had gone all out, ordering food from the House Elves and instructing Ron on how to prepare it. By Saturday, he could cook burgers and small steaks without burning them. He had argued at first, pleading with her to let him use magic to cook.

“Absolutely not, Ronald,” she had chastised. “This is a Muggle picnic. No magic is to be used except in emergency situations.”

“Don’t you think you’ve gone overboard, though? I mean, a Muggle costume contest?” She had blushed profoundly at this.

“I…thought it was a nice idea.”

Indeed, even as she and Harry were setting up the races and laying out ropes and sacks, they were both dressed in Muggle attire. Harry was wearing Dudley’s hand-me-downs. His jeans, which Ginny thought to be ridiculously baggy, would have fallen off but for his leather belt, and they were worn and ripped at the knees. He also wore a faded red tee shirt that was much too big. On it was printed an angular word that looked like it could have been ‘jhco,’ or perhaps ‘jnco.’

Ginny had inadvertently dressed to match Harry with a red shirt and a denim skirt. Being a typical male, however, he did not notice.

Once the games were set up and Harry had nailed the list of names for the three-legged race to a tree near the starting line, Harry and Ginny sat down. As promised, she had been keeping an eye on him, but he had not tried to leave yet. However, as soon as more people came, he was liable to try.

“Hey, Ron!” Seamus called mockingly. “Burgers and steak, huh? Did you make any chicken cordon bleu?” Dean laughed, and Seamus, not knowing when to quit, continued. “How about some futon?” Ron gave him a blank stare.

“What was that Seamus? Futon?”

“Yeah, you know, that soufflé thing…” Seamus trailed off.

“I think you mean fondue, Seamus, but considering your intelligence, I guess the mistake is excusable,” Hermione interceded on Ron’s behalf.

“Futon, fondue, what’s the difference?” Seamus, thoroughly embarrassed, left Ron alone after that.

Realizing that she had not been monitoring Harry, she immediately turned, but he was still sitting across from her.

“No, Ginny, I’m not gone yet. I figured it would make you happy if I didn’t run off, so I decided to stick around as long as I could handle.” Ginny gave him a sideways glance.

“Why so determined to make me happy?” Harry opened his mouth, but nothing came out. “Well, as long as you’re being altruistic, maybe we could-” A scream from Hermione cut Ginny off before she had the chance to finish.

“Look! Look! Here they come!” She was literally hopping with excitement as a surge of students poured from the school and headed toward the picnic area by the lake. “Take your places, everyone! Get where you’re needed!” Hermione called out, and Harry led Ginny over to the area they had prepared for races.

“You were saying?”

She didn’t get the chance to say, however, as a mass of students gathered, eager to win the candy prize for the races. Harry did something then that shocked Ginny tremendously. He talked.

“Alright, everybody, listen up. The sack race will be first. Because there are so many of you, we will have a race for each year. First years who wish to compete, grab a sack, get in, and step up to the line.”

Ginny hadn’t seen Harry this gregarious in a long time. She smiled as the first years got into the sacks.

Was I ever that tiny?

Harry gave them a ready, set, go, and off they went. They hopped all the way to the end and, as instructed, turned to hop back. Many fell laughing, and a few crying. In the end, a shy girl named Emily Montague won and stood in the ‘Winners’ Circle,’ a circle Harry had marked in the dirt to recognize the winners.

The second years went, yielding Billy Hess as the winner. The third year winner was Dennis Creevy, and the fourth year was Jacob Rider.

When Harry called the fifth years, Ginny got into a sack. He sent them off, and Ginny hopped like mad. She almost made it, but fell near the finish line. Luna Lovegood won in the end.

Padma Patil won for the sixth years, and with sickening obviousness, bumped into Harry, knocking them both down. As she passed Ginny on her way to the ‘Winners’ Circle,’ Ginny heard her whisper to herself, “I’d love to get into a sack with him!”

Katie Bell won for seventh years, and after Harry and Ginny distributed the prizes, nearly everyone headed toward the area laid out with blankets and picnic tables, eager for food.

~ o ~ o ~ o ~ o ~


Ginny sat on a blanket with Harry, Hermione, and Ron for lunch. To her surprise, the food Ron had cooked was not bad at all. She ate a burger and a steak. Ron ate two burgers, a full steak, and half of Hermione’s steak that she could not finish. Harry amazed everyone, though, by easily polishing off three burgers and two steaks.

“He really ate all of that?” Neville asked Dean.

“What?” Harry defended himself. “I was hungry.” Laughing, Ginny decided that it was a good time to talk to Harry. Her chance was stolen, yet again, when everyone started calling for the three-legged race. Ginny relented to fate with a sigh, pulling Harry up with her.

“Come on, hungry. We’ve got a race to run.” Harry fell into step with her, and they made their way over to the race area. People were already checking to see with whom they had been paired, and nobody complained. Harry tied his left leg to Ginny’s right, and then helped a few first years who were having trouble tying their knots well. When everyone was ready, Harry began.

“Alright, everybody, this is a little different. On top of the hill,” he said while pointing, “is a big rock. The first pair that climbs the hill, touches the rock, and makes it down the hill intact with their partner wins. All clear?” Everybody nodded.

“Okay!” Ginny called out. “On your mark…get set…go!” The teams took off, struggling to move in time with their partner. Harry had his arm over Ginny’s shoulder for stability, although it was not necessary. They naturally moved together like one body, racing up the hill and touching the rock before most groups were two thirds up. They encountered no trouble until, halfway down, another group who had fallen crashed into them, sending them rolling down the hill. Ginny laughed aloud as she and Harry rolled over and over. Eventually they rolled to a stop, Ginny on top of Harry, at the bottom of the hill. Their rope had come undone, but neither noticed.

“We won!” Ron shouted to Hermione. Ginny glanced their way briefly, and then looked back to Harry. He was so close. She could smell him, feel his warmth…

“A nice fall you took, Potter.” Malfoy said, approaching them. “It’s a shame there wasn’t a nice veiled arch to catch you, huh?” Ginny felt Harry stiffen beneath her. His heart was pounding against her chest, and he had gone rigid.

Sliding out from under her, he stood, turned, bolted away, and was soon lost to sight around the lake. Ginny stood up, shaking from head to toe in wrath. Everything had been going perfectly! She turned to Malfoy.

“What’s wrong, Muggle-lover? Don’t you-” Ginny cut him off by slapping him across the face with all of the force she could muster. A red and purple mark, shaped like her hand, appeared instantly on his face. Four long welts also marred his face where her nails had dug into his flesh.

“You slimy bastard!” She stomped down on his foot, leaving him hopping up and down, and turned to find Harry.

Her search was short-lived, as Hermione forced her to help look for Andrew Philips’ contact lens. She tried searching again, but she had to stop to help settle an argument between a pair of second year boys.

Seeing that the sun was setting behind the hills, Ginny got an idea. She raced to the bulk of the students.

“May I have your attention, please? We are going to start hide-and-seek now. I will be it first! The big rock at the top of the hill is the base. Now run!”

“You have to close your eyes and count!” A third year whined, so Ginny hid her eyes and began.

“ONE…TWO…THREE…FOUR…FIVE…SIX…S EVEN…EIGHT…NINE…TEN!” Ginny looked around, but the picnic appeared deserted. “Perfect.”

Ginny set off in search of Harry. She encountered numerous students along the way around the lake, and put in just enough effort to convince them she was trying. She kept going, leaving the game far behind. She passed Hagrid’s cabin, knowing Harry would not seek company.

She did not find him in the paddock where the dragons had been held during her third year either. She was beginning to worry she would never find him when she heard noises coming from behind a bush by the lake’s edge. Climbing past it, she found Harry sitting alone, head resting on his drawn up knees, making choking sounds.

Oh, poor Harry!

“Harry?” He looked up.

“You should leave, Ginny,” he whispered.

“I can’t leave you alone.”

“Just go.” His voice was hoarse and sounded forced.

“I won’t-”

“For God's sake, go!” Ginny flinched at this caustic treatment but did not move.

“I wanted to talk to you before, remember? Let me talk to you now.” Harry looked up at her, eyes reflecting his internal pain.

“I don’t trust myself to be civil right now, Ginny.”

“I’ll take my chances.” Exhausted, Harry relented. She sat next to him, staring out over the lake. “We have a lot in common, Harry. More than you know. You know that we understand each other, and that we feel each other. Do you know why?” Harry shook his head.

“We each have a secret,” she continued. “I don’t know what yours is, but it’s there. I feel it. Now, I am going to tell you mine. We understand each other because Tom has touched us both in a powerful way. He has left his mark on both of us. With you, it can be seen in your scar, but it runs so much deeper than that. It is in our very souls. That is why you are a Parselmouth, Harry. That’s why I am a Parselmouth now.”

Harry stared at her, shock visible on his tear stained face. Ginny, now on a roll, could not stop.

“Tom is terrible, but he has given us an understanding of one another. I trust you completely, Harry, and I would like to believe that you trust me too.” Harry rubbed his eyes and let out a jagged breath. Locking eyes with Ginny, he spoke.

“You’re right. I do have a secret… The prophecy was destroyed Ginny, but not its contents. Dumbledore had a memory of the original prediction. Only I can stop him, Ginny, nobody else, and to do so, I have to kill him. If I don’t, he will kill me.

Upon hearing this, Ginny’s heart skipped a beat. As his revelation soaked in, she felt tears forming in her eyes. Ginny reached for Harry, hugging him tight to her as she cried with him. Eventually she managed to compose herself.

“You can do it, Harry. You care too much about other people to let him go on. You’ll find a way, and I will gladly stand by your side.”

“No, Ginny!” Harry suddenly burst out. “I will not let him hurt you again!” Harry took a deep breath. “I’ve lost everyone I ever truly loved, Ginny. I barely knew them, but I loved my mum and dad. I loved Sirius, and I lost him too. You’re the only one I have left, and I won’t lose you!” Ginny’s mind was reeling as she processed his words.

“Are- are you saying- you-”

“I love you. Yes, I am saying that. Oh, God, I love you Ginny! I have never known anyone who understands me as well as you do, who is as caring and compassionate and honest and…perfect. You mean the world to me, Ginny, and I refuse to let him kill you too.”

Ginny simply could not believe what she was hearing. Harry had turned away from her, his gaze locked on the inky waves of the lake.

“I shouldn’t have told you this now. I am an emotional mess. I guess it’s alright though. Hermione told me last year, anyway.” Ginny did not understand.

“She told you what, Harry?” He slowly met her gaze again.

“That you had moved on. That you had given up or gotten over me or…something.” Ginny looked him straight in the eye, unblinking, and she knew he saw the truth.

“There’s about as much truth in that as there was in my saying I fancied Dean.”

“But, that Corner kid you went out with…”

“A decoy, essentially. It was never anything more serious than that. I knew that, with Voldemort back, you had enough to deal with, so I told Hermione I had given up, knowing she would not press it. You had enough on your plate without having to worry about me.”

“But I do worry about you Ginny,” Harry insisted. “I worry about you every day. I do not want to lose you. I have lost everyone else near to me. That’s why it’s probably better off if I don’t-”

“Please, Harry,” Ginny interrupted. “Do not even say it, unless you want to make me run away.” Harry laughed weakly. “I love you too, Harry.” She reached out a hand and touched his face, making him moan softly. “I’ve been waiting for this for years. Please, don’t make me wait any longer.” Harry began to lean closer, than stopped. She could see him shaking, shivering, ever so slightly.

“I’m afraid, Ginny,” he said so softly that she almost did not hear. “I don’t want to do anything to drive you away. I don’t want to hurt-” Ginny placed two fingers over his lips, then slid her hand back around his neck.

“Just do it. You’re not going to hurt me.” With one last look into his eyes, which she saw were now alive with excitement, she closed her own and let the world go black as she leaned into Harry. He bent down to meet her, and they kissed.

When she was younger, Ginny had often tried to envision exactly what kissing Harry Potter would be like. She had always assumed that it would be soft, sweet, magical. That idea had changed since this year as Harry became more distant, essentially blocking out everyone but her. Now she saw it as something wild, forceful, something almost…angry. It amazed her how much more like the former this kiss was.

His lips felt warm against hers, his arms wrapped tightly around her body. Her hands had made their way into his hair. With newfound courage, Ginny opened her mouth slightly, lightly running her tongue over Harry’s upper lip. It was enough to make him shudder uncontrollably. He accepted her invitation, deepening their kiss.

When at last they broke apart, the taste of Harry fresh in Ginny’s mind, she found herself locked in his arms.

“Wow.” Harry said simply. He had a look of divine ecstasy plastered on his face, and Ginny was confident that she had one to match.

“Yeah,” Ginny agreed. “Wow.” She quickly kissed him again. “So,” she began tentatively, “that’s why you’ve kept to yourself. You were afraid someone would be hurt again.” Harry simply nodded. “I hope you won’t seclude yourself anymore. There is nothing to fear. You will win.” Ginny willed Harry to trust her. They stared into each other’s eyes, and Harry slowly nodded, eliciting a giant smile from Ginny. Then his brow furrowed.

“You did hear the snake! During Quidditch yesterday, a grass snake spoke to you, and you looked around. I thought it was just a coincidence.” She shook her head. “Oh, Ginny! I just noticed…our outfits match.” Ginny suppressed her giggles.

She pushed some of the wind-tossed hair out of his eyes before standing. “Come on, Harry. I left them all playing hide-and-seek, and I was ‘it.’” They walked back toward the picnic, Harry with his arm around her waist, the sun nearly lost over the horizon.

~ o ~ o ~ o ~ o ~


Ginny and Harry joined Hermione and Ron back at the blanket where they had eaten lunch. Ginny could hardly believe that had been only hours before. It seemed almost a distant memory.

The game of hide-and-seek had continued without them, and now they were about ready for the costume contest. Hermione and Ron got up to give the announcements.

“Had a good, long cry over your dead Godfather, Potter?” Malfoy asked from behind them before snickering.

“Actually, I had a good, long snog with my…” He turned to Ginny, taking her hand. “Girlfriend?” Ginny smiled and gave his hand a squeeze.

“Of course, Harry.” Harry smiled and turned back to Malfoy.

“Hey, Malfoy, you got slapped. One of your jilted boyfriends, no doubt.” Harry turned back to Ginny as the two of them laughed. They then turned their attention back to Hermione and Ron as they gave the announcement for the best dressed Muggle boy and girl.

“Thank you to everyone that voted. We have the results here. The award for the best dressed Muggle boy goes to Ravenclaw’s very own…Ian Harding!” Hermione announced. The school applauded loudly for Ian, a very tiny second year. He wore an outfit that looked like it was borrowed from a street gang member, complete with gaudy, oversized jewelry.

“And the award for the best dressed Muggle girl,” Ron announced, “goes to Gryffindor…Katie Bell!” Katie got up, smiling. She wore a pair of camouflage army pants, a hunter green top, and a camouflage cowboy hat. Several of the younger students who didn’t win, including a first year dressed up like a clown, complained loudly.

Ginny laughed and pointed to the boy who was pacing back and forth.

“I’d sure like to see Malfoy in that outfit, wouldn’t you?” Harry chuckled and wrapped his arms around her from behind. He then whispered into her ear, in quiet Parseltongue.

“Thank you, Ginny. I don’t know what I’d do without you.” She smiled as she whispered back in the same manner.

“You’re welcome, Harry. Just remember that if you ever need me, I will always be here for you.”

“What are you two whispering about?” Ron asked, falling onto the blanket next to them. Hermione followed suit.

“Oh, you know, couple things,” Ginny said with a grin.

“Couple things? Ron asked, but Ginny ignored him as she turned to kiss Harry again. The world froze; time itself stopped as she became lost in Harry’s embrace. She had found the Harry she loved, and as long as she stood by him, she felt confident that she would never lose him again.


~ o ~ o ~ o ~ o ~



A/N ~ Thank you for reading my story. This is the first piece I have done entirely in Ginny’s point of view. If you have comments or suggestions, I would sincerely appreciate a review. I apologize in advance for any mistakes: spelling, grammar or anything else. With the deadline fast in coming, I had no time to have this beta read. I have tried to revise it myself to the best of my ability, though, so I hope it won’t be a problem.
Reviews 33
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear