Search:

SIYE Time:22:57 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


A Memorable Muggle Day
By ginnypotter15

- Text Size +

Category: Muggle Picnic Challenge (2005-2)
Characters:None
Genres: General
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 19
Summary: Hermione has a brainwave to celebrate the good April weather by having a Muggle style Outdoors Day.
Hitcount: Story Total: 3213







ChapterPrinter


Disclaimer: This story is based on characters and situations created and owned by JK Rowling, various publishers including but not limited to Bloomsbury Books, Scholastic Books and Raincoast Books, and Warner Bros., Inc. No money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended.

***


"Ron, hey, Harry... I’ve just had a really good idea!” Hermione said, racing up to Harry and Ron. It was their 7th year, and Hermione and Ron were head boy and girl. She’d just had Arithmancy, Harry and Ron Care of Magical Creatures.

“I thought that we could have a muggle picnic, you know, the barbecue, games and things... it’s been so warm for April, we might as well celebrate it!” Hermione exclaimed.

“What?” Ron stared at Hermione like she had lobsters crawling out of her ears. Ron had obviously not been to a muggle picnic before. Harry, however, thought it could be a good idea.

“Yeah, could be good, Hermione. Are you going to talk to Dumbledore about it?”

“Of course, we’ve got time now, if you want to come with me, Ron...” Hermione said.

“But dinner starts in ten minutes!”

“Oh, for heaven’s sake, Ron, you’ll still eat in time! It’s not like you’ll waste away completely if you’re five minutes late for dinner!” Hermione replied, annoyed. Harry could see that another famous ‘Ron and Hermione argument’ was about to start.
“Right, Ok, Hermione, I’ll be up in the tower when you’ve finished.” Harry said, quickly then he turned around and left. Ron and Hermione barely noticed, too busy arguing.

Harry nearly ran the rest of the way up to Gryffindor tower. He wanted to meet Ginny, his girlfriend of 7 months and Ron’s sister, and spend some time with her before Ron and Hermione got back.

“Hiya, Harry!” Ginny said, as soon as he was through the portrait hole. He walked over to the sofa that she was sat on, dumped his bag roughly on the floor and collapsed next to her. Ginny turned and gave him a rather chaste, for her, kiss.

“What have you been doing? You look exhausted!” She exclaimed.

He replied, “Did you know how tiring it is looking after Hippogriffs for three hours?” However, he still had enough energy to give Ginny a dazzling smile, the one that still made Ginny go weak at the knees. The sixth year was suddenly glad she was sitting down.

“You know, I’m feeling much better now though.” Harry said, casually. He leaned over and kissed Ginny, who then deepened the kiss straight away. Eventually, they ended up lying full length on the sofa, and they stayed in this position for quite a while.

“HARRY! GINNY! Blimey, you two. That is not something a bloke wants to see!” Shouted a very loud voice. Harry groaned. Ron. Just who he wanted to see right now. Harry and Ginny untangled themselves from each other and both glared at Ron for disturbing them.

“Ron! That wasn’t necessary! Honestly! What do you think you and Hermione look like when we catch you!” Ginny shouted. Hermione and Ron had been going out together after Ron plucked up the courage to ask Hermione to a ball in 6th year. It was during that ball that Harry finally realised how special Ginny was to him, but he didn’t do anything about it for a few months.

“Anyway, Ron, Ginny, Harry, dinner’s started...” Hermione interrupted the silent feud. This got Ron’s attention. Anything with food and he was there.

***

When dinner was over that night, Professor Dumbledore had an announcement to make.

“Our Head Boy and Girl have come up with a splendid plan for a Muggle style Outdoor Day this Saturday with a picnic. Because it is completely Muggle, no magic will be allowed. Wands are preferably to be left up in dormitories, except for prefects. There will be a barbecue, games, swimming competitions, sack race, egg and spoon race, etc... Also the best dressed Boy and Girl competition. All games needing pairs are to be boy-girl pairs. Prizes from Honeydukes for winners! There will be a full list of activities tomorrow on the notice board. Please sign up for your chosen activities tomorrow or Wedneday. Thank you everyone. You may continue."

Immediately 3 of the tables started buzzing. As predicted, the Slytherins merely looked bored. Draco Malfoy looked at Dumbledore as if he was mad.

“Come on, Harry, Ron, I need you to help me plan!” Hermione said, full of excitement already. Hermione and Ron left the hall. Harry and Ginny followed a few seconds later, holding hands.

***

The following Saturday found the Head Boy and Girl, Harry and Ginny preparing for the picnic outside on the lawn by the lake. Ron and Harry carried out the heavy barbecue that Ron would be using later on (Hermione had persuaded him to run the barbecue, but it took a lot of convincing). Hermione and Ginny were setting out plastic chairs and tables. Hermione placed a big pile of paper plates beside the barbecue, along with rolls, bread, ketchup, knives and forks.

“Hermione! How do you switch the bloody thing on?” Ron shouted. Being a pure-blood, he had no experience of barbecues. Hermione had to rescue him from breaking it.

“What? I really just do that? But... what if it...”
“Ron! Just do it! You’re not going to hurt me! It won’t explode or anything!” Hermione shouted back.

“This is starting to look quite good, isn’t it?” Said Ginny. Harry had to agree. It all looked very organised. Hermione walked over, holding several sheets of paper with competitions and who had signed up for them. Hermione’s excellent organisation had meant that they were ready well before the starting time.

“We’re all ready, all we need now is for people to start turning up!” Hermione said, beaming. Harry grinned. He had a feeling that today would turn out ok.

***

By twelve o’clock, the area by the lake was packed. All the tables and chairs were being used, and many more people were just sitting on the grass. The games were going well, with only 3 injuries so far. Hermione decided that it would be a good time to have a break. Using the muggle loudspeaker, she shouted

“Ok, everyone, lunchtime! The rest of the games will continue in an hour. The winners of all competitions will be read out at four o’clock and prizes afterwards. The barbecue will continue until 7 o’clock this evening, if you don’t feel like dinner in the Great Hall.” Here Hermione was interrupted by a loud groan from Ron. “Anyway, thank you!” Hermione turned off the loudspeaker.

“Honestly, Ron, do you really think that I expect you to run the barbecue until seven? The Creevey brothers are taking over at three o’clock. I just hope they’re as good as you are.” She finished with a smile. Ron had been surprisingly good at cooking, after getting the hang of using the barbecue.

***

At three o’clock Ron was finally let off. The first thing he did, naturally, was to eat half a dozen of his own burgers and hotdogs.

“He really ate all that?” Harry asked Hermione. Hermione nodded.

“Well, he’d been cooking for about 4 hours...” Hermione tried to reason.

“He’s still eaten more in 5 minutes than I’ve had all day!” Harry exclaimed. Hermione could only agree.

***

“I’d love to get into a sack with him!” Harry heard Lavender Brown saying. “Quidditch is definitely doing him some good!” Harry had no idea who they were talking about, until he saw her and Parvati looking over at Michael Corner, who had just got out of the lake.

“I’d sure like to see Snape in that outfit, wouldn’t you?” Harry said to Ginny, pointing over to Michael in his swimming trunks. Ginny replied saying “Yeah, but that would mean taking off his black robes that must be superglued to him or something.” Harry grinned.


***

At four o’clock Hermione stood on the podium to announce the winners.

“Ok, people, would you like to crowd round here? Thanks! Right, first, Egg and Spoon race, winner was Justin Finch-Fletchley! Well done!” As he collected his prize. Hermione continued with “Sack race, winner was Ginny Weasley!” Harry cheered on his girlfriend.

“Girls Swimming, 14 and under: Rose Zellor! Do you want to come up and collect your prize? Right, ok, Girls swimming, 15 and over: Susan Bones! Well done!

“Boys swimming: 14 and under: Euan Abercrombie! And 15 and over: Michael Corner! Well done you two!”

Hermione read the rest of the winners out of the remaining games, such as wheelbarrow race, three legged-race (Harry and Ginny had won that one) and the kite competition.

“And finally, best dressed Boy and Girl go to...Lavender Brown and Dean Thomas!” Well done, you two! You win the largest prizes: A giant Easter egg each from Honeydukes!”

Harry could see Lavender shaking her head at the sheer amount of chocolate that there was in the Easter egg. She was famed for permanently being on a diet.

Hermione was not finished yet, however. She had another idea that would be very popular.

“I am going to organise small football tournament of teams of 5 each. For those who don’t know what football is, it is a very popular muggle sport where you have to, as a team, try and get the ball in a net. There is one person on each team who has to try and stop the other team scoring.

"Right, if you want to, get yourselves into teams of 5, give yourself a name and sign up with me. We will start the tournament in half an hour. Any questions?” She was immediately surrounded by dozens of pure-blood witches and wizards still wondering what football was.

***

Harry thought this was a good idea.

“Hey, Gin, want to get a team together? We could have you, me, erm, maybe Dean and Seamus? Dean’d be good.”

“Cool. And Ron as well, if he doesn’t dragged into organising this thing.” Ginny replied.

Harry and Ginny asked Dean, Seamus and Ron to join them. They agreed quickly and altogether they chose a team name: The Gryffindor Lions. Harry and Dean had a lot of fun explaining the rules of football and how to play it.

“Is it a bit like Quidditch, then, the football’s the Quaffle, kinda thing?” Ron asked.

“Yeah” Dean replied, “Except you’re not fifty foot in the air on broomsticks”.

“Ok... I understand, I think.” Ron said, but he still sounded a bit dubious.

***

2 hours and 4 matches later, ‘The Gryffindor Lions’ had won the ‘Football Cup’. They were quite pleased, considering most of them had a mainly wizarding background. As prizes they all received an Easter egg. Ginny especially was pleased as she had been the only girl on the team.

“Hey, Harry, do you want a burger? The barbeque is finishing soon and I’m really hungry after the football.” Ginny asked.

“Sure”. Harry and Ginny wandered over to the barbeque and got a burger each. They walked over to the lake hand-in-hand, watching the stillness of the water. Harry smiled.

“I love you, Gin”

“Honestly?” Gin half-turned round to look at Harry, who could see hope burning in her eyes.

“Honestly”. Harry replied.

“Good. ‘Cos I love you too, Harry.” Ginny said. And then she leaned over and kissed him.




A/N: This is my first go at writing fanfic. Please tell me whether or not i deserve to be shot for ruining JKs wonderful characters. I hope i haven't. Please review! Thank you to everyone else who already has reviewed!
Reviews 19
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear