Search:

SIYE Time:10:30 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Boy Who Lived Felled
By Gryphon

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:All
Genres: Fluff, Humor
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 11
Summary: Lord Voldemort has failed at every attempt to conquer his arch enemy, Harry Potter, but another is destined to succeed. (I've made a minor correction - I though I'd caught that particular point - Thanks, amulder)
Hitcount: Story Total: 4569







ChapterPrinter


Harry had just walked into the common room after finding his History of Magic class had been cancelled. This was really good since History of Magic was especially tough at the end of the day and a Friday at that. As he started towards the stairs to the boys' dorm, he noticed a new posting on the bulletin board. Walking over to look at it, his eyes went up a notch. There was a schedule of events for Halloween. Classes for the day were cancelled and the day would start with the Quidditch match between Hufflepuff and Slytherin that had been scheduled for Saturday. It was also to be a Hogsmeade day. But what really got his attention was the last item. In past years it would have drawn a groan from him. There was to be a dance after the Halloween feast!

The next thought to hit his mind was Ginny. This would be the perfect opportunity to break the ice with her which he'd been wanting to do for some time. There just hadn't been any convenient occasion or excuse to ask her out before and if the plain truth be known, he'd just been too nervous. Since she'd been on his mind so much lately, he'd been watching her and knew she wasn't dating anyone. But, he also knew she had become very popular and knew it was just a matter of time before someone asked her out. He ran up to his dorm and put his books away. He knew where her last class was for the same reason he knew she wasn't dating anyone. He was just thankful he'd come straight back to the dorm rather than spend the time off outdoors like everyone else was doing. He didn't stop to think it might look strange for him to wait for her to get out of class. He just went.

He also didn't stop to think that he would be there a good half hour before her Transfiguration class was finished. This didn’t dawn on him until after he got there but didn't want to risk missing her by leaving and coming back. He just hoped no one else knew about the dance yet. Taking a seat on one of the benches along the corridor, he settled down to wait. It occurred to him he might be hard pressed to explain why he was just sitting there if any friends came along…Ron and Hermione… but he decided to risk it.

After what seemed like an eternity, class let out. As everyone paraded past him, he got more than a few odd looks. Finally, Ginny came out. Now that the time had arrived, his confidence wasn't what it had been. He stood up and smiled at her. His standing got her attention and she walked over to him.

"Hello, Harry," said Ginny. "What were you doing sitting out here?"

"Hi. Well, I…erm…I wonder if I could have a word with you?" said Harry.

Ginny laughed. "You don't have to be so formal about it, do you? What is it?"

"I… there's going to be a dance after the Halloween feast and I wondered…if you'd like to go with me?" managed Harry trying to smile.

"Harry, you act like that was such a difficult thing to do," laughed Ginny once again. "Ron didn't put you up to this did he?"

"Uh, no. He doesn't know about the dance yet. I just wanted to go with you," said Harry growing more worried. Why did girls have to be so inquisitive?

"Sure, I'd love to go," said Ginny.

"It's also going to be a Hogsmeade day and the Saturday Quidditch match has been moved to that morning," Harry said feeling very happy and much more confident. "Maybe we could make a day of it?" he added hopefully.

Ginny frowned a little before answering. "I promised some of my friends I'd watch the match with them, but we could watch the game with them if you don't mind. I mean, I know you like to go to matches with Ron and Hermione."

Harry breathed a sigh of relief. "That would be great, Ginny."

"It sounds like it's going to be a fun day with the Quidditch match and everything else going on," said Ginny as they started walking back towards the common room.

Harry was happier than he had been in a long time as he and Ginny walked back to the common room. He knew he must have a silly grin on his face, but there was nothing he could do about it. Ginny seemed happy too. The next hurdle was to tell Ron and Hermione since this couldn't be kept secret for very long. This wasn't a great worry as Ron had made the not so subtle hint from time to time that they should go out. He just didn't like feeling like he needed to explain it or get someone else's approval.

As they entered the common room, there was a crowd of people around the bulletin board. The room was literally buzzing with discussion of the dance. Ginny left to put her books away and Harry took a seat near the fireplace and watched the commotion. It wasn't long before Ron and Hermione spotted him and came over to talk.

"Where'd you go after class?" asked Hermione. “It was really nice outside. We missed you."

"Oh, I came back to drop my books off and just didn't feel up to going back out. Besides, I thought you'd like some time alone," said Harry trying to be nonchalant.

"I guess you've heard about the dance by now. I hope you don't wait until the 'good ones' are all taken," said Hermione looking at Harry and then Ron.

"All right, will you go to the dance with me," asked Ron grinning.

"I wouldn't want you to put yourself out asking me," said Hermione glaring at Ron.

"OK you guys. Is there any question about with whom you are going?" laughed Harry.

"It would just be nice if Ron was a little more sincere and romantic when he asks me to do things," said Hermione looking like she was trying too hard to look like she was pouting.

"Got that Ron?" said Harry.

"Look who's talking," said Ron. "I bet you haven't even thought about who to ask yet, have you?"

"Oh, I don't know about that," said Harry guardedly. "I've had my eye on someone for the dance."

"Well, when are you going to ask her?" asked Hermione turning her attention back to Harry.

At that moment Ginny walked up and plopped down in a chair next to Harry. "Hi guys. I hope you aren't giving poor Harry a hard time about anything."

"No. We're just trying to encourage him to get a date before all the 'good ones,' as they like to call them, are taken," said Hermione. "Have you got a date yet?"

"Yeah, I got one right after class," said Ginny giving Harry a smile.

"Are you going to make us ask?" asked Ron impatiently.

Looking at her fingernails, Ginny said, "If you're really interested, Harry asked me."

"Harry who?" asked Ron looking from her to Harry.

"This Harry," said Ginny smiling at Harry.

Ron and Hermione looked flabbergasted. "How did you get a date so fast? They just posted it this afternoon," said Ron.

Harry just smiled for a second. "What do you think I was doing while you were out playing? I just didn't want to wait until the good one was taken. Uhh, I meant good ones." Harry was now blushing. He hadn't meant it to come out like that and now Ginny was looking at him curiously. He certainly didn't want to scare her off since she seemed to have been over her crush on him for some time.

"Harry was waiting for me after Transfiguration. At first, I thought you two had put him up to it," said Ginny.

Ron and Hermione obviously suspected more than was to be learned because they continued to pump Harry and Ginny until supper time. It was a little embarrassing at times, but watching Ginny dodge their questions and laugh was fun. She seemed very comfortable and relaxed about the whole thing. It was almost as if he had changed places with the Ginny of yesteryear. Now, he was the one who was nervous and there were four weeks to go until Halloween.

Asking Ginny for a date indeed broke the ice. They laughed a lot as Ron and Hermione continued trying to get information out of them and this broke even more ice. They continued walking to Quidditch practice with Ron and the other players and sometimes Hermione, but something had changed. Where Ginny had been just another team member before and had mingled with everyone else, now she was mostly with him. In fact, they had even walked down by the lake on the way back from practice a few times as the sun was sinking in the west. It was definitely a different feeling…and a very good one.

Finally, Halloween morning arrived. It was especially great since Halloween fell on Friday and this made for a long weekend. Ron was still asleep when Harry got up, showered, and dressed. He went down to the common room to wait, but he didn't have to wait long before Ginny and a bubbly group of her friends came down the stairs from the girls' dorm. Harry hadn't considered that the 'match' might start with breakfast and that eating with Ginny and her friends wouldn't go unnoticed.

Sitting with Ginny and her friends was certainly a new experience, especially since he was the only boy among half a dozen bubbly girls he didn't know very well. They were all friendly but there were scattered glances and giggles from them and many curious looks from his other fellow Gryffindors. Worst of all were the looks from Ron. Hermione just looked smug, but Ron had either the ‘what do you think you are doing’ or the ‘how could you just abandon us’ look. Harry just shrugged and went on with breakfast. He'd explain this to them later and was sure he'd pay a price in being teased some more.

As they finished eating and started to leave, Harry stopped and told Ron and Hermione he guessed he had forgot to tell them he and Ginny were making a day of it. From the looks he got, he was convinced that had been a wise lapse of memory.

As expected, the game was very exciting. The Slytherin defense was definitely not up to Zacharias Smith and his chasers. But best of all was watching Hannah Abbott fly rings around Draco even though she was relatively new to Quidditch. Both Harry and Ginny were watching their counterparts closely as they would be facing them on the pitch in upcoming matches. Watching a game with Ginny and her friends was very different than with Ron and Hermione. Hermione didn't get very excited even if Ron was playing where as Ginny and her friends were jumping up and down and yelling all the time and Ginny was continually prodding him to do the same. Harry was having the time of his life.

Finally, with an already lopsided score in favor of Hufflepuff, Hannah flew over and appeared to be talking to Draco when her hand shot out past him and returned with the snitch. Draco looked fit to be tied and the crowd went wild, with the exception of the Slytherins who were suddenly very quiet. Before he knew it, Ginny was jumping up and down with her arms around him. Even though Ginny's friends were doing the same to each other, it still felt very good.

Ginny and Harry said goodbye to her friends and started walking towards the gates and Hogsmeade while most of the other students headed back to the castle for lunch. Since they had about an hour to spend before lunchtime, they browsed several stores. They looked at shoes, books, knickknacks, and other odds and ends mostly of interest to Ginny. This didn't bother Harry as he was enjoying watching Ginny having fun and failing spectacularly at being discreet.

It took some doing, but he finally convinced her to let him treat her to lunch at the Three Broomsticks. He had to agree to let her by ice cream later. He didn't tell her he'd owled Madame Rosmerta and asked if she had a quiet corner where they could eat. They arrived and went in where they were very much expected.

"Hello Harry…Ginny. I have your table all ready," said Madame Rosmerta smiling broadly at both of them. She led them to the back of the dining area to a small alcove with a table for two that Harry didn't remember seeing before. "I suppose you'll be wanting a couple of Butterbeers to start or, if I might make a suggestion, we have several special items on the menu today."

"What are they?" asked Harry.

She recited the specials and seeing a look of dismay on their faces offered, "Why don't you let me suggest for you?" Upon getting a nod, she continued. "I know you've got a feast tonight, so I'll keep it simple. Let's start with a cup of she-crab soup and then the Steak, Guinness, and Mushroom Pie. If you're still hungry, there is always desert. If you like, you can share a bowl of the soup and I'll bring more if you like it."

After seeing Ginny smile at him, Harry said, "That sounds good, we'll have it."

"And I tell you what, I'll bring you each a glass of white wine to go with the soup, but the pie should really have Guinness. I'll bring you a taste first and if you like it, I'll bring you each a glass. I think you'll find it quite different from Butterbeer," Madame Rosmerta said as she left to get their orders.

"Harry, that didn't sound like we just walked in off the street for lunch," said Ginny. "We were obviously expected. It sounds very good, and expensive."

Harry looked a little sheepish. "Well, I owled her the other day and told her it was our first date and to see if there was a quiet table since I wanted this to be something really special. I'd say she took care of us very well. As for the other, think of this as a Muggle first date where it's traditional for the guy to take his date out for a nice meal," Harry said hoping she wouldn't say more on the subject. "But anything we do today will be special," he added smiling.

Ginny smiled and started to say something but at that moment, Madame Rosmerta brought their wine to the table. "The soup will be ready in a minute."

"Mmm, this is good," said Ginny after taking a taste. "I've never had white wine before."

"Me either," said Harry taking a sip himself. "It is good. It certainly tastes a lot stronger than Butterbeer."

"Mum let me taste some red wine once but it wasn't like this at all," said Ginny.

"This is the first wine of any kind I've tasted," said Harry. "The Dursleys have wine sometimes, but I'm never allowed any."

"Let's don't talk about them today," said Ginny. "I wonder why they call it she-crab soup."

"Well, we can ask when she brings it," said Harry taking another small sip.

A few minutes later a large bowl of soup arrived with two spoons. Madame Rosmerta insisted on staying to see if they liked it. They had to scoot closer to each other to both get at the bowl.

Ginny took a small taste and her head and eyes rolled back, "Wow! This is to die for," and immediately took another spoonful.

Harry had been watching her and was greatly relieved. Upon taking a taste himself, he understood her reaction. "This is fantastic," he said. "Bye the way, why do they call it she-crab soup?"

"That's because it is made with she crabs," said Madame Rosmerta. Seeing they didn't understand, "It's made from female crabs that have roe or eggs in them. Really, only a few eggs are used as they are too hard to come by. But it is good isn't it?"

"Good doesn't describe it," said Ginny. "I could eat this all afternoon."

"And you'd regret it later," said Madame Rosmerta. "It's too rich to eat very much of it. It's mostly crabmeat and cream. Enjoy. Your pie will be ready in a bit."

Harry and Ginny slowly sipped spoons of the soup relishing every spoonful wishing the bowl would never empty. They were both trying hard not to moan out loud in pleasure. But all good things must end and the bowl was soon empty. While waiting for their pie, they debated whether they could persuade the house elves to serve she-crab soup at Hogwarts. They ate very well, but never anything this fancy. In the end, they decided it would be worth digging their own secret passage out of Hogwarts if there was a chance of getting more of that soup.

Shortly after they finished their soup and wine, Madame Rosmerta brought a small glass of Guinness for them to try. First, Ginny took a sip of the foam, and then a little beer.

"This is very different and strong, but very good," Ginny said passing the small glass to Harry. "The foam is almost better than the beer."

He took a sip and looked to Ginny, "We'll each have a glass."

Ginny giggled a little and said, "I hope we can walk out of here after eating. I've never had that much wine or real beer before. Are you sure you're not trying too…corrupt me?"

Harry laughed with her, "This is very different. We've always just ordered Butterbeer. I can feel the wine a little too. I still can't get over that soup though. That is something else."

"It sure is," said Ginny.

"We'll have to see if they have it next time we come," said Harry.

"That would be fun," said Ginny.

The beer was closely followed by their steak pie. It was delicious, but no match for the she-crab soup. The Guinness also went down very well. As they finished the pie, Harry leaned back and relaxed looking at Ginny and smiled. "I think the feast tonight will be hard pressed to come up to this."

Ginny laughed and agreed, "The drink certainly won't be up to this."

They were sipping at their beer just relaxing after a very satisfying meal when Madame Rosmerta came by and asked if they'd like anything else. They said they were fine. As she leaned over to hand Harry the bill, she whispered conspiratorially to them, "I don't usually serve students wine and beer, mind you, so if you would, let's keep this between just us. I'm glad you’re having a nice first date."

A few moments later, Harry excused himself and went to pay the bill. When he came back he looked crest fallen. "Ginny, I didn't have enough money so we're going to have to wash dishes the rest of the afternoon. I'm really sor…" At that Harry couldn't keep a straight face at Ginny's expression any longer and broke into a laugh. Realizing she had been had, she broke into a relieved laugh too.

They spent the rest of the afternoon basking in the afterglow of lunch as they browsed the various shops. They spent a good bit of time with Fred and George in Zonkos, the store they had recently bought from old Mr. Zonko when he retired. Harry had been surprised to learn they’d moved to Hogsmeade from Diagon Alley. George explained that Hogsmeade was a much better market for their kind of wares.

The twins were surprised and pleased to see Harry and Ginny were on a date and having fun together. They promised not to tell their parents Harry and Ginny were dating as long as they got to be there when the announcement was made. They seemed even happier when neither Harry nor Ginny denied their assumed status - dating.

As the afternoon wore on, they stopped at Honeydukes before returning to Hogwarts where they ran into Ron and Hermione.

"Where have you two been all day?" asked Ron looking at them suspiciously. "We didn't see you at lunch."

"I told you we were making a day of it," said Harry.

"Well, you look like you've been having fun," said Hermione cheerfully. "What have you been doing?"

"Oh, we had lunch at The Three Broomsticks, talked a lot, and since then we've just been browsing. We talked to Fred and George for a while," said Ginny. "And oh my, but you've got to try the she-crab soup next time we get a Hogsmeade weekend if they have it. It's to die for."

"I've heard of that," said Hermione. "It's supposed to be really rich and good."

"It is," reiterated Ginny. "Maybe we could ask them to prepare some next time we have a Hogsmeade weekend."

"All this talk of food is making me hungry," said Ron. "We didn't get as good a lunch as you two obviously had. Why don't we get some ice cream after you get what you want here?"

Harry and Ginny looked at each other and laughed at that truth. Ginny reminded him she was going to buy the ice cream and he didn't argue. He just whispered in her ear he wondered if they had Guinness ice cream. That sent them both into spiels of laughter which left Ron and Hermione just staring at them blankly. In the end, they settled for a small serving of plain vanilla as they wanted to leave room for the feast.

Harry was thankful they didn't have to dress up for the feast and dance. Everything was to be casual and for the first time, the dance was open to all years. Most of the boys and a few of the girls wore jeans or slacks, most girls wore some sort of skirt, including Ginny.

They sat with Ron, Hermione, Seamus, Lavender, Neville, and Luna for the feast as the Great Hall had been rearranged into tables for eight. As always, everyone had at least a few of their favorite dishes. The problem was in not eating too much. As Harry was really looking forward to dancing with Ginny, he certainly didn't want to do that. Finally the feast ended and Dumbledore had his say and introduced the band.

Harry had hoped for a slow first dance since he was more proficient at those, he thought. However, that wasn't to be. The first two were fast. He and Ginny got up and he quickly found it wasn't as hard as he had thought it would be. In fact, he was having fun. This was a big change from the last times he had danced. The slow dance turned out to be the real eye opener for Harry though. Up until now, he'd had very little physical contact with any girl and this certainly wasn't the same feeling he got from a Hermione hug.

"Harry, I won't break, you know," said Ginny.

"I know, I'm just not very good at this," said Harry.

"You're doing fine," Ginny reassured him with a smile.

As they danced and talked more, they gradually moved closer to each other so it was easier to talk. At least, that's what Harry told himself at first. That thought ended the moment he felt Ginny's hair against his cheek…and more. Before he knew what he was doing he had rubbed his cheek gently against hers and kissed her lightly in front of her ear. He stiffened at the realization of what he'd done and started to pull back and apologize, but she held him close and he felt her lips against his neck. When the dance ended, they drew apart and looked into each other's eyes for a moment.

"I…I'm…I didn't…" Harry tried to apologize before she put a finger over his lips.

"You don't have to say anything, Harry," Ginny whispered. "It made me very happy."

"It did?" Harry said softly relaxing and smiling. "I'm glad. I've wanted to do that for a long time now."

They went back to the table while the band took a break. Harry thought the ice cold pumpkin juice hit the spot.

"Ginny, do you get the impression we are being watched?" Harry asked.

"I think a few people may have noticed us, but I haven't really been paying much attention to anyone else," Ginny said.

"It's just a feeling," said Harry. "I've haven't really been watching either. It's just that when I do look up, a lot of people we know seem to turn away."

"Well, I'm enjoying myself too much to worry about who anyone else is looking at," said Ginny.

"Me too," Harry agreed.

"Well, well, well," said Ron as he and Hermione walked up to the table and sat down with a pitcher something very red. "It's good to see you two finally came up for air."

"Ron, we weren't…" started Harry before Ron went on.

"Oh come on, you two even slow danced through half of the fast ones," said Ron laughing at them.

"We did not," said Ginny emphatically, but added softly as she blushed and looked at Harry. "I don't think we did, did we?"

Harry blushed a little. He knew they were in for it from their friends if they had slow danced through even one of the fast dances. He didn't know what to say and knew he must have that silly grin on his face again.

At that moment, Neville and Luna walked up and joined the fun. "Don't you two know how to fast dance?" asked Neville.

"Don't let them bother you," said Luna. "I think it was very sweet and romantic."

"Romantic," said Seamus taking a seat with Lavender. "I was about ready to offer some salt and pepper."

"What?" said Harry obviously not getting it.

"With you nibbling on Ginny's ear and her nibbling your neck, we though you were about to eat each other," Seamus laughed. "You aren't a vampire are you Ginny?"

Now, both Harry and Ginny were red. Harry had no idea anyone had seen that. He was leaning to whisper to Ginny when he heard a small gasp.

"What?" Harry asked turning to see who had gasped.

"It's not polite to whisper," smirked Lavender.

"I just wanted to tell Ginny something without the whole peanut gallery listening," said Harry. "If the whole world must know," said Harry now a little irritated, "I was just going to tell Ginny I think all of you are having us on."

"That's enough you guys," said Hermione. "We've all known about Ginny all these years and we've seen Harry pine away all fall and now that they're finally together, they deserve to get to know each other better and this dance is a perfect opportunity."

"I agree," said Seamus, "just don't do anything too disgusting out on the dance floor."

By now, Harry and Ginny were both scarlet, which was probably why everyone else was enjoying themselves so much. But what began to sink into Harry more deeply was Hermione's comment that they were together. Fortunately for them, it wasn't long before the band started playing again and they got back out on the dance floor.

"I can't believe we didn't notice the music changed," said Harry as he pulled Ginny close to him strongly suspecting they were being observed once again. Since the damage was done, he figured it didn't really matter.

"I know," murmured Ginny. "I still can't believe they just happened to see our kisses."

"I wish Hermione hadn't said what she did about you," said Harry.

"It's all right," said Ginny. "Every one knows I've been interested in you for a long time. I was just wondering how long you've been interested in me…at least I assume you are interested in me after today," added Ginny looking up at Harry.

"I thought you had got over me a long time ago. That's why I've been so nervous this fall. You seemed so self confident and just…friendly last year," said Harry. "And then there was that Michael Corner and you mentioned Dean on the train home last year."

"Harry, were you thinking about this that far back?" asked Ginny not sure whether to laugh or be serious.

"Well, I did start thinking about it over the summer," Harry said a little sheepishly.

"Hey you guys," yelled Ron at them. "In case you didn't notice, the music has changed again."

"We were talking," Harry yelled back to be heard over the music as they pulled apart and began to fast dance. Ron and Hermione were just grinning back at them.

As soon as the fast dance was over, they were back together again. This time they tried to pay more attention to the music.

"Ginny, does all this mean we are more than friends? I mean, I…I…" Harry was at a momentary loss for the right words, especially since he wasn't sure how Ginny felt.

"Harry, we are what ever you want us to be," said Ginny looking deeply into his eyes.

"I…I…might want us to be more than you want, though," said Harry a little uncertainly.

"I doubt that," said Ginny still looking into his eyes.

"Even being a couple?" Harry asked hopefully.

A big smile broke across Ginny's face. "I'd really like that, Harry."

Harry's smile was immediately as bright as hers. He pulled her back into his arms and they were even closer. He closed his eyes and was deeply enjoying the sensation of her in his arms with her cheek against his when…

"Mr. Potter! Miss Weasley!" said Professor McGonagall as she walked past them. "If you are having trouble hearing the music, I suggest you have Madame Pomfrey check your ears."

They grudgingly pulled apart and began fast dancing. I looked like tomorrow was going to be brutal after being broken apart by a teacher. They just laughed at each other. After all, McGonagall almost looked like she was enjoying herself when she broke them up.

All too soon, the last dance arrived. Harry was surprised when Ginny didn't take his hand, but put both arms around his neck and snuggled into his shoulder. He couldn't help it; he planted several small kisses in front of her ear. When the music ended, they just held each other for a moment.

Reluctantly, they separated and went back over to the table for a final glass of juice. Ron and Hermione were still drinking the red stuff Hermione said was a passion fruit drink that she said was very good. They were just happy no one teased them very much like before. After talking for a while, people gradually started to migrate back to their common rooms. Harry was a little surprised Ron and Hermione had stayed for the whole dance, since they usually managed to slip off for a little quality time together several evenings a week.

After a short while in the common room, Ginny said she was going up to the girls dorm to get out of her skirt and shoes. Harry misunderstood and thought she was going to bed. He walked over to the steps with her and turned her to him. He hesitantly leaned towards her and gave her a light kiss on the lips.

At that moment there was a flash and then a lot of commotion behind them near the fireplace. Everyone was leaning over the coffee table excitedly. They looked at each other, shrugged and walked over to see what all the excitement was about since they were obviously the butt of something. Everyone except Hermione was huddled over the low table. Harry and Ginny walked over to Hermione.

"What's going on?" Harry asked Hermione.

"Oh, nothing much," said Hermione in seemingly contrived disdain. "They've had a pool going for weeks now with everyone trying to guess when someone would see you two kiss for the first time."

Harry and Ginny just looked back in shock.

"You mean people were betting on our first kiss? How long has this been going on?" asked Ginny in disbelief.

At that moment Ron came away from the crowd looking disappointed.

"I can't believe this. My best friend betting on my first kiss with his sister," Harry gasped. "At least Hermione has the good taste to avoid that kind of thing."

"Hermione's just unhappy because she bet your first kiss would be on the dance floor," said Ron grinning at Hermione. "She already knew she'd lost."

Harry and Ginny didn't know what to say. At that moment, Collin Creevey jumped up in glee, "I won; I won."

Harry and Ginny didn't know what to think. They talked about it after Ginny got into some more comfortable cloths and decided it all seemed to be good natured. As it turned out, the whole idea had started with the Creevey brothers. Ron wouldn't say when he had bet they'd be seen kissing. After all the years he'd been so protective of Ginny, it was nice to know he was happy with their being together. Harry's only regret was that Sirius wasn't there to know.

Towards the end of November, they received an announcement during supper that the school would be closing completely for the Christmas holiday and they were told the Hogwarts Express schedule. Since Hermione's parents were going to be out of the country, Hermione decided to go to the Burrow since she couldn't stay at Hogwarts. Students were reminded of the threat from Voldemort and Death Eaters and to be cautious. There was also a note for Harry to see Professor Dumbledore delivered by Professor McGonagall.

When Harry arrived at Professor Dumbledore's office, Dumbledore was waiting and ushered him in. After they had both taken a seat Dumbledore began, "Harry, I wanted to let you know that the Weasleys have invited you to the Burrow for the Christmas holiday and the Dursleys have given their permission."

"That's great," said Harry. "Though actually, I'd have been surprised if the Dursleys wanted me for Christmas."

"They did seem rather happy you had an invitation to go to someone else's home," said Dumbledore. "I'm sorry you haven't had a better home life, but there was no one else we could use for the protections we needed to use. In any case, I just wanted to be sure going to the Burrow was all right with you.

"I had considered making special allowance for you to stay here so Madame Pomfrey could check out your hearing since Professor McGonagall expressed some concerns a while back," continued Dumbledore with his eyes twinkling.

Harry almost choked. Was there anyone who didn't know about them slow dancing through the fast songs? Turning red Harry responded, "We were just trying to talk, Professor."

"Ah, the joys of youth," said Dumbledore. "You should enjoy the good times as much as you can, Harry. The two of you remind me very much of your parents after they got together. I suppose I should warn Mr. and Mrs. Weasley about you two."

"Please Professor, Ginny and I want to tell them," said Harry. "Besides, we promised Fred and George we wouldn't tell them until they could be there."

"I don't know if that promise was such a good idea," chuckled Dumbledore. "Fred and George probably have something in mind for you. But on a more serious note, how are you feeling about the events from last spring?"

The smile left Harry's face. "I try not to dwell on it," he said. "I know much of it was my fault for not listening and cooperating and I still miss Sirius a lot. I wish he could have met…known about Ginny and me."

"I don't mean to pry, Harry, but what is your relationship with Miss Weasley?" asked Dumbledore.

Harry hadn't expected that question. After thinking a minute, "Ginny's a wonderful person who makes me very happy. I think she still really likes me. At least, I hope she does."

"Well, if the opinion of an old man is worth anything, I think you are both good for each other. Does she know about the prophesy?" asked Dumbledore.

"No, Professor. I haven't told anyone else," said Harry.

"You'll have to be the judge, Harry, but at some point, depending on how close you become, she should know," said Dumbledore. "Just keep in mind, we still don't know exactly what the prophesy means. I think it is certain that if Voldemort falls, you will play the key role, but beyond that I don't know."

"I guess what scares me a lot is knowing Ginny will expect to be there at the show-down and I don't want her to be in that kind of danger," said Harry.

Dumbledore sat and looked at him for a moment as if in deep thought. "Harry, there appears to still be much you don't understand about our world. In our world, relationships are usually much closer and stronger than in the Muggle world. That Ginny would insist on being with you in times of danger says she cares for you very deeply as you obviously do for her. That she went with you last spring showed a very strong bond as a friend - at least as strong as that with your other friends. It is probably much more now.

"Word has it that you two are a couple," continued Dumbledore. "Have you two discussed that or is it just everyone's assumption?"

"I asked her," said Harry. "She…she said we are whatever I wanted us to be."

"What did that mean to you, Harry," asked Dumbledore.

Harry had the uncomfortable feeling that they were getting far deeper into things than he wanted, but he answered anyway. "That she didn't mind being my girlfriend. She said she would be very happy being a couple."

Dumbledore shook his head and replied, "We should really consider having a special class for students growing up in Muggle homes. It's hard to know what you really need to know and I know I'm probably not the best one for you to be learning this from. In any case, Ginny was telling you she would be happy with as much or little as you were willing to give her. In our world, being a couple is probably somewhere between seriously dating and being promised in the Muggle world. I hope that doesn't scare you, Harry."

Harry wasn't scared, but he was surprised. He'd had no idea being a couple was almost being promised, not that he minded. He felt a little funny about having asking for so much so quickly - on their first real date. Of course, they had known each other for a long time, but still, what had she thought. At the same time, it certainly explained things about Ron and Hermione's behavior. Hermione had probably read all about it somewhere.

"No, I'm actually glad, but if I had known, I probably wouldn't have asked for so much so soon," said Harry.

Suddenly, Dumbledore appeared to be very uncomfortable. "Harry, given what I know of the way the Dursleys have treated you, I feel certain they haven't discussed the…uh…facts of life with you, have they?"

If Dumbledore appeared uncomfortable, Harry was mortified as he thought he knew exactly what Dumbledore meant. He was right! He spent the next half hour fluctuating between various shades of red and going white as Dumbledore explained "things" to him complete with magically created 3D illustrations and even some pictures from a magazine he produced from behind some books on one of the shelves. In summary, he had been reminded that the women in Molly's family were very prolific and that magical and other means of avoiding offspring weren't very effective in her family line - in other words, behave. After all of that, Harry was afraid he'd never return to his normal color.

In parting, Dumbledore said, "Harry, I'm very proud of you tonight. You've really grown this past few months and I think Miss Weasley is a part of that. Even last year, you would never have confided to me any of what we talked about tonight. The only things I ask are that you two be careful and when you are ready to tell her about the prophesy, bring her to my office. I don't think it should be discussed anywhere else. I can be here with you or leave you alone to tell her as you wish."

As Harry went down the stairs from Dumbledore's office, his head felt ready to burst. The amount of information he'd been given, much less the nature of it, boggled his mind. He was grateful to know more about what some things meant in their world, but the rest.

"Harry, what have you been doing all this time?" asked Ginny as she came to him from the bench she'd been sitting on.

Harry's head jerked up. He'd been so deep in thought coming down the stairs he hadn't noticed Ginny waiting for him as he walked out of the stairs. "Oh, hi," he said. He took her in his arms and just held her for a moment. "You're not going to believe this," he said as he took her hand and they started back towards Gryffindor Tower, "but I've spent the last half hour getting 'the talk.'"

Ginny stopped a gaped at him for a second. "You don't mean 'the talk'…as in where babies come from, do you?"

"I mean 'the talk' with magical illustrations and worse," said Harry turning a little pink.

Ginny doubled over with laughter, "I can't imagine that talk coming from Dumbledore. But, what could be worse?"

"Having Dumbledore explain how to a turn a girl on," said Harry laughing and turning redder.

Ginny couldn't laugh any harder. She just looked at Harry and shook with mirth. After she calmed a little, she said, "I just can't imagine Dumbledore describing how to turn a girl on," and started shaking with mirth again.

"I'm glad you find this entertaining because I was embarrassed beyond belief the whole time. It would have been bad enough without knowing it was you he was talking about," said Harry.

That brought Ginny's laughter to a halt. "You were asking Dumbledore how to turn me own," she asked looking at Harry wide eyed.

"Of course not," said Harry. "I didn't ask for any of it. At first he just wanted to tell me your parents had invited me to the Burrow for Christmas." At that Ginny gave him a hug and said she was very glad. "Then he started asking about us. He'd apparently heard about the dance and how everyone considers us a couple. He wanted to know if I knew what that meant. Anyway, I told him I'd asked you and all. He told me what that meant," he said looking into her eyes. "I didn't know at the time."

"How do you feel about it now that you know?" asked Ginny looking back at him.

Smiling back at Ginny he said, "We can be whatever you want us to be." He pulled her to him and held her tightly for a minute as she clung to him too. "I know we haven't been together very long, but that's how I feel."

"Hey you guys, can't you use a little discretion and at least find an empty classroom," said Ron as he and Hermione walked up. "What have you two been doing all this time anyway? What did Dumbledore want?"

"He was teaching Harry how to turn me on," said Ginny rather nonchalantly.

That left everyone, including Harry, speechless for a moment. All Ron was able to do was sputter until he realized Ginny was just having him on. Ron and Hermione got the very short version with strict instructions no one else was to know about this.

The days grew into weeks as December moved on towards Christmas. Harry couldn't believe how great it felt to openly be a couple. The only discomfort was occasionally eating and doing things with Ginny's friends in her year. This always got looks from Ron and Hermione even though they were now a foursome most of the time.

Finally they were on the Hogwarts Express speeding towards London and Platform 9¾. They were all excited, though Harry was a little worried that Mr. and Mrs. Weasley might not be real happy with Harry and Ginny dating much less being a couple. Ron and Hermione discussed interesting ways to break the news with most of them involving embarrassment to him or Ginny. Harry reminded them the twins had to be there when the announcement was made.

Waiting for the twins was not a problem as they were waiting at the station. As Ron and Harry and Hermione and Ginny had decided to share a trunk, there were fewer bags to handle than usual. Mr. Weasley had got a car and driver from the ministry to take them to the Leaky Cauldron and from there they would Port Key to the Burrow. It was always amazing to get into a magically altered car. Mrs. Weasley got in and put Ginny between herself and Mr. Weasley, Ron and Hermione sat together, and Harry got to sit with the twins where he suffered their whispered predictions.

Mrs. Weasley could be heard questioning Ginny all about school. She asked about Michael Horner and whether she'd ever got around to seeing Dean. Harry noted Ginny very deftly avoided the subject of who she might be dating. Fortunately, the ride to The Leaky Cauldron went fairly quickly and they arrived before the questions got too close. Arriving, they all piled out, got their luggage, and went into the pub.

The twins wanted to stay for a drink, but Mrs. Weasley insisted on getting home as she needed to start supper. When they were all touching the Port Key, Mr. Weasley activated it. They arrived at the Burrow door step clutching one another to avoid falling.

"Wait," said George and Fred in unison. "Since this is our Christmas homecoming with Harry and Hermione, everyone has to go in under the mistletoe," continued Fred as a huge sprig of mistletoe appeared over the door.

"I think Harry and Ginny should go first," said George grinning at them.

"No, no, no. Harry dear, you don't have to kiss Ginny if you don't want to," said Mrs. Weasley glaring at the twins.

"It's all right," said Harry as Ginny moved over to him. He gave her a short kiss on the lips and they went in leaving everyone else staring.

"You two should be ashamed of yourselves embarrassing Harry and Ginny like that," muttered Mrs. Weasley.

"I doubt he minded," said Ron as he kissed Hermione and they followed Harry and Ginny. "Her antics don't appear to bother him much any more."

"I want to see George and Fred kiss," said Harry grinning back out the door.

"We're carrying your luggage, so don't push it," retorted Fred.

After they were all inside, Mrs. Weasley ushered them into the living where Mr. Weasley instantly had a brisk fire going. Mrs. Weasley and the girls retreated to the kitchen to make tea which was done with magical quickness.

Mrs. Weasley sat the tray on the coffee table while Hermione sat on the couch between Ron and Harry. Ginny wiggled in next to Harry as there wasn't much room left.

"Ginny, you don't have to crowd Harry just because he doesn't seem to mind," said Mrs. Weasley. "There's another chair over here by us."

The twins looked to be very amused about something.

Harry took Ginny's hand and looked at her and they smiled at each other. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley's eyebrows went up in surprise.

"Mum, Dad, if you're wondering why Harry and I are more comfortable around each other than we used to be, it's because we're dating."

"Aww," moaned Fred and George. "We'd wanted to have more fun with this," continued George.

"That's wonderful," said Mr. Weasley while Mrs. Weasley was trying to assimilate what she'd just heard.

"Yes, it is," said Mrs. Weasley obviously surprised. "But, when…how long have you been dating?"

"Get them to tell you how they got together," said Fred grinning from ear to ear.

As all eyes were on them, Harry suddenly wondered if telling them by owl wouldn't have been a better idea. Then Ginny put him on the spot.

"Well, about four weeks before Halloween, Dumbledore announced there would be a Halloween dance after the feast. They put it on the bulletin board while we were in class, but Harry had the last period off that day and saw it before anyone else. He was waiting for me when I got out of class and asked me to the dance and then the whole day. Everyone knows why I went," Ginny said blushing. "I think the most interesting part is how he came to ask me." Ginny smiled at him as she squeezed his hand.

"Yeah, Harry, just what were you thinking?" asked Fred looking at a furiously blushing Harry in mock amazement.

"Harry, dear, you don't have to talk about it if you don't want to," said Mrs. Weasley.

"Uhm…well…" Harry took a breath. "I guess it goes back to last spring and the fight at the Department of Mysteries. I've always known Ron and Hermione would stand by me, but I never expected Luna, Neville, and…Ginny to risk their lives to help me try to save Sirius. That really started me thinking. Then some comments were made on the train about whom Ginny was and would be dating. I didn't really think about it until this summer. Then I was really nervous. I was afraid I'd waited too long and she was going to start dating Dean."

"Harry, I was just baiting Ron," Ginny laughed.

"Anyway, the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to ask her out. The Halloween dance came along at the right time," said Harry.

"We can't let them off the hook that easy," said Ron. "You should have seen him eating breakfast that morning with…Ginny and her friends. Harry looked to be having a ball sitting in the middle of a bunch of giggling fifth year girls. Then he went to the Quidditch match with…Ginny and her friends…and left Hermione and me to our lonesome. He didn't even tell us he was spending the day with her until breakfast. Then he fed Ginny a grand lunch complete with wine and real Guinness. On top of all that, he followed her around to all her favorite girly stores."

"You mean you fed our baby sister real wine and beer?" asked George.

"And looked at girly things with her," added Fred.

"I didn't think they would serve students anything stronger than Butter Beer at The Three Broomsticks," frowned Mrs. Weasley.

"Madame Rosmerta asked us not to tell anyone," said Ginny. "It was a special favor for our first date. She even had a table for two in a very private alcove."

"It sounds like you had a very nice day," said Mrs. Weasley smiling broadly at them.

"We want to hear about the dance and the YOU KNOW WHAT," said George.

After a moment of silence, Ron spoke up again grinning, "If they won't tell you, I will. They were almost cheek to cheek and nibbling on each other before the first dance was over. By halfway through the evening, they just kept on slow dancing…right through the fast dances."

Ron was obviously having a good time with this as were the twins. Harry and Ginny grinned and blushed. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley seemed very amused.

"We were just trying to talk and dancing close was the only way we could hear each other," Harry tried to explain.

"Yeah, right! Professor McGonagall was even overheard asking them if they were having hearing difficulties," said Ron. "By the last dance, they had both arms around each other."

"What were you doing, Ron," asked Ginny, "taking notes on our evening?"

"Actually, they were being watched pretty closely by a lot of people," said Hermione grinning.

"I was coming to that," said Ron. "Everyone had noticed Harry following Ginny around like a love sick puppy…"

"What?" said Harry. "I was just…" Harry had never considered how others might view Ginny and him.

"You were following her around like a puppy," repeated Ron in glee, "and Ginny didn't seem to mind at all. We were all waiting for you two to start snogging in the halls or at meals."

"Ron," said Mrs. Weasley somewhat astounded, "that's not a very nice thing to say about your sister and Harry."

"But you should have seen them, Mum," continued Ron. "It would have been disgusting if it weren't so funny. Finally the Creevey brothers had the idea to start a pool on when, where, and how long their first observed kiss on the lips would be. Hermione bet it would be on the dance floor for less than two seconds. She lost because Harry only kissed the side of her head and she only kissed him on the neck."

There were gasps from the senior Weasleys and two red faces on the couch. "I thought you were my friend," said Harry.

"I am," said Ron, "but after all the years Ginny longed for you, now you were chasing her - this is too good to pass up."

"Too right you are, brother dear," said George. "We'll have to give the Creeveys an award for carrying on in our tradition.

"After all," said Ron, "everyone assumes they're a couple, which I might add, they haven't denied. Anyway, a lot of us had lost out by the time the dance was over. In any case, Collin caught them on camera in the Common Room and won. We thought he cheated since the flash got their attention and probably shortened their kiss making me lose."

"I can't believe this," said Mrs. Weasley looking like she couldn't decide whether to laugh or frown.

"I think it's grand," said George. "Here we have Harry, who the most evil Wizard known couldn't take down, brought down to puppy dog level by our own little baby sister." Both twins howled at this and even Mr. and Mrs. Weasley laughed.

"Can't you see the Daily Prophet headline," said Fred trying to stop shaking.

"The Boy Who Lived Felled
by a very pretty redhead."

The End
Reviews 11
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear