Search:

SIYE Time:12:05 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Three Wishes
By Professor Scroll

- Text Size +

Category: Haunted House Challenge (2004-5)
Characters:None
Genres: Comedy, Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 20
Summary: After working hard on the Gryffindor submissions, Hermione, Ron, and Harry invite Ginny to a night of fun and games.
Hitcount: Story Total: 5144





Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: The characters and world are from the amazing imagination of JKR. I am just borrowing them.




ChapterPrinter


Three Wishes


“How are we going to decide who designs our two rooms?” asked Hermione Granger, Head Girl and unofficial leader of Gryffindor House, while she paced in front of the common room fire.

Just moments ago, at the Welcoming Feast, the Headmaster had announced that this term at Hogwarts there would be a Haunted House Maze, with a Halloween Party to follow. Each House had to decorate two rooms of the maze, and to get to the party the students would have to navigate through them.

“Well, I’m not very good at this sort of thing, so leave me out,” came a call from across the room.

Rachel, who was sitting next to the wizard, laughed. “I have to agree, Colin. You are hopeless at planning anything, but I’m sure you’ll take brilliant pictures of it all.”

Afraid that his girlfriend would volunteer him, Ron was looking down at his feet, slouching to hide his large frame. “Don’t look at me! I used all my imagination to make up those predictions for that fraud Trelawney in third year.”

Harry looked at his best friend and said, “We might not be able to come up with any great ideas, but Ron and I can certainly help with the heavy lifting.” Over the summer between sixth and seventh year, both of the boys had gotten taller and had filled out. In the eyes of the Wizarding world, they were adults, and when this year was over, they would be leaving Hogwarts forever.

“Count me and my dorm mates in,” said the beautiful Ms. Weasley, while Brittany, Megan, and Rachel nodded in agreement. With the addition of the four sixth year witches, all of whom were unattached, a few more wizards were motivated to help.

“Okay. Volunteers, please move over to the tables in that alcove for a planning session. First and Second years, it’s time for bed. Everyone else, try to keep it down. This is important.”

This little speech caused the common room to erupt with noise and movement. No one wished to upset the Head Girl, and most of the older students knew that if they loitered, she’d assign them to some committee.

The volunteers jostled each other for a seat at the table. When they’d all found a place, Hermione asked Ginny to keep notes, and passed her a role of parchment, ink, and a quill.

One exhausting hour later, they had a very skimpy outline of possible rooms. As it was getting late and classes would start in the morning, Hermione had adjourned the meeting, and had asked everyone to meet back there on Saturday morning for another planning session.

As Ginny rolled up the parchment, she was a little intrigued with one of the ideas. Being a witch, she didn’t get to visit many museums, but this particular kind sounded rather interesting.

Ideas for the Haunted House


1. A cemetery (overused idea)
2. Death Day Party
3. A wax museum, with vignettes of different events that occurred at Hogwarts during the last six years.
a. Professor Lupin as a werewolf
b. Ron regurgitating slugs
c. Hagrid with Buckbeak
d. Snape in Neville’s Gran’s dress
e. Malfoy — the amazing bouncing ferret
f. The Tri-wizard Tournament
g. Fred and George leaving on their brooms while Peeves chased Umbridge around.
h. Thestrals pulling the coaches
i. Neville and Draco’s duel in sixth year

After kissing Ron goodnight, Hermione and Ginny climbed the stairs to their respective dorms.

“I think your idea of a wax museum is brilliant, Hermione,” Ginny said.

“I think it’s workable, but I want to see what everyone else comes up with on Saturday before making any decision. If you have any more ideas, please jot them down. I hope everyone thinks about this during the week. We really need a few more options to choose from.” They arrived outside the door to the sixth years’ dorm, and with hugs and goodnights, they separated.

The committee reassembled Saturday morning but was unable to produce any new ideas. They elected to start with the wax museum, and decided to keep the Death Day Party as a last resort, hoping that someone would have a stroke of genius for the other room before Halloween. The cemetery, of course, was unanimously defeated, as it was not up to Gryffindor’s standards.

Over the next few weeks, the committee spent every free hour adding realistic touches to the museum. Remus Lupin shared his expert knowledge of the transformation from human to werewolf, to perfect his vignette. Neville had even asked his Gran to donate her green dress, vulture topped hat, and red handbag to the occasion, and Hagrid offered to provide and monitor a real Hippogriff and Thestral during the event.

Hermione gently declined Hagrid’s offer, telling him that he needed to attend the Feast.

It was H-day minus twenty-four hours and they still hadn’t thought of a better idea for the second room, so Harry, Ron, and Hermione quickly put together a Death Day Party for their other submission to the Haunted House. As the only three students ever invited to one, it fell to them to remember what the food, drink, and even the music was like. They kindly requested the aid of Moaning Myrtle to make it as realistic as possible.

Halloween dawned clear but cold. Hoping the weather would hold, the committee put the final touches to their rooms, and made their way back to the castle to dress for the festivities.

As Ginny had broken up with her most recent boyfriend over the summer, Hermione invited her to join Ron, Harry, and her that evening. Ginny considered accompanying her roommates, but they all hoped to hook up with potential dates at the party, and Ginny did not intend to become one-half of a couple so early into the term.

* * * *

The sky, although still streaked with reds and purples from the spectacular sunset, was almost dark enough for the stars to appear when the four friends strolled down to the Quidditch Pitch. Pleased finally to be having a romantic night with Hermione, Ron tenderly gripped her hand, and grinned with anticipation for the night’s event. As he spied the first star of the evening, he silently made three wishes, hopeful that at least one of them would come true.

* * * *

Harry and his friends linked hands not wanting to be separated, before stepping through the opening, as they had heard many rumours about the maze. The first room designed by Hufflepuff was a hall of mirrors. Some were warped to make the person standing in front of it taller or shorter. Others changed the viewers into the opposite sex, and another mirror stood the partygoers on their heads. One reflected you as a baby, and as Harry gazed into this one, he tried to imagine his Mum and Dad on the floor playing with him. Still others revealed what you would look like when you were old. The four friends laughed as their reflections changed depending on which mirror they were facing. Ron and Hermione spent quite a while in front of a large one that combined the features of the couple standing in front of it into one person. “Blimey, Ron, is that what your children will look like? I sure hope they’re cuter than that,” Harry teased while he sped past.

He would have liked to linger, and look in the mirror that combined their features to see what his and Ginny’s children would look like, but he didn’t want to embarrass her. He had made plans to ask her a very important question that night. Maybe they could come back later.

Having negotiated the first room without mishap, they were able to continue through the maze. After a few more turns, which reminded Harry of the third challenge of the Tri-Wizard Tournament, they entered what could only have been a Slytherin room.

It was a scene straight from Harry’s worst memories. They were in a circular room, with many doors leading out of it, reminiscent of the one at the Ministry of Magic. Knowing that they couldn’t really be there, Harry knew that they just had to pick the correct door. He watched Ron step forward. Pausing, he looked fearfully back at his friends, before he reached out and opened the closest door; behind it was a brick wall. Laughing at their self imposed terror, they all were relieved, and each chose a separate door to find the exit more quickly. Behind Ginny’s was a window that looked out over the castle grounds. Hermione had a second smaller door, and a third, and a fourth, until it was nothing more than a peephole that looked out over the lake. Harry found only a vacant room behind his door. Then they approached four of the remaining five doors, and taking the handles at the same time, they opened them. Hermione, Ron, and Ginny disappeared. Standing in front of Harry was Lord Voldemort.

Harry drew his wand, waved it, and yelled, “Stupefy”, diving to the side. When nothing happened, he looked carefully around the door. Lord Voldemort still stood there, smiling. He hadn’t moved an inch. “Expelliarmus! Accio Wand!” Nothing happened. Something strange was going on, but Harry wasn’t sure what. Holding his wand in front of him, and expecting an attack at any moment, Harry approached the doorway. He stepped right in front of Voldemort and then through him. What was going on? It wasn’t a ghost, a memory, or a picture. Harry had read about holograms from a Muggle library book last summer, and decided it was a plausible theory.

Leaving that door open, he went to find his friends. The other three doors were also open and Harry found nothing behind them, no rooms, walls, or windows, just emptiness. Where could his friends have gone? Using a navigating charm, he bewitched his wand, like a compass, to point in the direction they had gone. Knowing his friends would never have run from Voldemort and left him to fight alone, he was beginning to worry about them. When his wand just kept circling on his palm, he knew that they were gone. Not again. He couldn’t lose someone else he loved.

Harry sank to his knees, and felt as if he was going to throw up. “Ron!… Hermione!… Ginny!… What have you done with them? Where are my friends? Bring them back!” Harry screamed, with tears in his eyes. “Why do you ruin everything? You’ve managed to kill everyone that I’ve ever loved.” Tears were flowing down his face and he seemed to have lost the will to fight. “Is that what this is about? Are they dead! Have you already killed my friends? If so, what is there to fight for?” With this last comment, his head drooped in despair and he gave up.

Ron ran into the room, followed closely by Hermione, and Ginny. They stopped in shock as they saw Voldemort standing in the doorway over Harry and heard his last heartfelt question.

Ginny pulled out her wand saying, “That had better be fake.” She then stepped in front of Harry to block his view, and kneeling, took his face in her tiny hands. Gently raising his head until he was looking in her eyes, she said, “Harry, it’s not real. No, don’t look at it. Look at me. Nothing will hurt you as long as I am here. C’mon Harry, let’s get out of here.” Like a small boy being led by his Mum, he let her draw him to his feet, and pull him away from that monstrosity.

As Ginny led him towards the real exit, he watched Hermione close the door, and place on it the strongest locking spells that she knew.

“Sorry, mate. The Slytherin’s added a twist to their room. The three handles that we grabbed magically returned us to the beginning. We knew you would be looking for us, so we hurried back. Sorry we were gone so long.”

Harry had a death grip on Ginny, but she didn’t seem to care. He hoped that she never let his hand go. He had wanted to hold hands with her for over a year, but had never expected that he’d owe his opportunity to a stupid Halloween prank. Harry knew who created that door and would take care of him in the near future. But tonight, he and Ginny were going to go to a Halloween party, and maybe he would finally be able to tell her how he felt.

The wax museum was the next room in which they arrived. There were about a dozen people standing around looking at the different vignettes.

Colin, Brittany, and Rachel were standing in front of Snape laughing. Colin hadn’t been present when Neville had faced the Boggart, so he hadn’t seen this before. “Boy! Snape is HOT!” he yelled, laughing.

Brittany replied, “That’s Ms. Snape. Why can’t she be like that in class?”

This eased a little of Harry’s tension. Ron’s next remark also helped. “Malfoy sure looks smashing as a Ferret! Don’t you agree, Harry?”

“Yes, he does!”

Just then, Draco and his cronies arrived in the Gryffindor room. He saw Harry’s group and started smirking. “Did you enjoy our little surprise, Harry?” When the Gryffindor students present moved to stand united between Harry and him, the expression on his face showed that he knew he had made a mistake. Being a coward, he liked to bully people, but not when they fought back. As he passed Harry, he gave him a little shove.

With his hand still held tightly within Ginny’s, Harry decided to ignore Malfoy’s attempt to start a fight, at least until after the dance. Right now, he had things that were more important on his mind.

Spying the white ferret bouncing higher and higher, Draco turned to the next wax carving, which happened to depict Buckbeak. “Hey, isn’t that the monster that almost killed me? He should have become food on someone’s table. We could use his meat to make a wonderful sandwich. What do you think Pansy? Do you have a little mustard?’

“Good thinking. And no, I don’t happen to have any Grey Poupon.”

Ron stepped forward, his wrath palpable, as Draco and his Neanderthal friends exited the room, but Hermione held him back. “He’s not worth it.” As she turned to lead the way out of the room, she saw something that stopped her in her tracks. “How in the world did THAT get up THERE?”

As everyone looked up, laughter exploded around the room. Perched precariously upon George’s Cleansweep Five was a picture of Ron and her snogging in a broom cupboard.

They managed to negotiate the other rooms without mishap, and soon were at the party. They found that it was well worth the trouble to get there. The night sky bathed the revelers in moonlight. The many stars looked so close that if you had wanted to, you could have pulled them out of the sky and given them to the one you loved as a glittering token of your enduring passion. The Weird Sisters were up on the bandstand playing slow ballads instead of their usual faster music. Small tables covered with linen dotted the landscape, many placed behind potted plants, creating secluded hideaways.

Harry chose one of these almost hidden tables. The girls sat and rested, while the boys foraged for food. They piled plates with the scrumptious fair that the house-elves had amply provided. They didn’t have to try to balance filled glasses, as there were already pitchers of pumpkin juice on each of the tables. When they were finished eating, Ron asked Hermione to dance, leaving Ginny and Harry alone.

He had recaptured her hand when he had come back with their food, and he did not intend to let go until she asked him to. “Ginny, would you like to dance, or maybe take a walk?” He wanted to hold her. She really was beautiful tonight. Her vibrant red hair shone and moved with a life of its own, and when she looked at him, her honey brown eyes glowed with something that looked like love, but not having seen it before, he was hesitant to believe it.

“I would love to dance with you, Harry.”

He stood, pulling her out of her chair and towards the dance floor, his eyes never leaving her beautiful face. As he drew her into his arms, he hoped that they would never be empty of her again. She moved and rested her head on his shoulder, draping both of her arms around his neck. He pulled her even closer and cradled her against his chest. They were unaware of their surroundings and didn’t even notice the other students or staff. They only saw each other. When Ginny looked up at him, he forgot that they were on the middle of a dance floor and dipped his head, intent on finally kissing her.

That prat, Ron, broke the magical daze. Dancing close to them with Hermione, he reminded them that they were not alone. “Hey! Hey! That is unwanted physical contact!” Smiling at Ginny and Harry, he glanced pointedly around at all the other interested people who were watching them dance.

“Do that one more time and I’ll hex you into next Tuesday!” his little sister replied.

Harry realised he was only teasing, and trying to get them to notice that they were not alone. Smiling, he added, “Thanks, Ron. We owe you one.” Bemused by the fact that he still had his arms around the one person he wanted to hold, Harry decided to just ignore this interchange and pulled her closer. “Ginny, I have something I need to tell you. Do you think we could go for a walk, or would you like me to tell you here? If you don’t want to stop dancing, that’s okay with me, too.”

“Can we dance a little longer?”

“I’ll be happy to. I love holding you, Gin. In fact, I don’t ever want to let you go. I love you, Ginny Weasley.” Harry hadn’t meant to say that, it had just popped out. He had wanted to do something romantic when he confessed his love, maybe getting down on one knee, or having a bunch of roses. He hoped that he wasn’t too late, and that she hadn’t gotten over him long ago.

Other couples were dancing around them as they stopped and stared at each other. They needed to be alone! Harry led her back to their secluded table. It had been a long and bumpy ride for both of them to arrive at this place in time. Seeing the love reflected from the other’s eyes, they both leaned forward and finally shared their first kiss.

* * * *

Watching Harry kissing his little sister, Ron glanced back at the star that he had wished upon earlier that evening. His first wish had been that he could dance with Hermione without stepping on her toes, as he was not the best dancer in the world. That Voldemort would not attack that night was his second. The third and final wish of the evening was taking place right before his eyes. He had wished that his best friend would finally tell his little sister, who adored him, that he was in love with her.

Not bad. He was three for three.
Reviews 20
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear