Search:

SIYE Time:5:42 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Graduation
By dramaqueen

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 16
Summary: At Ginny's graduation, Harry reflects on his own graduation and has something to tell Ginny... My attempt at fluff!
Hitcount: Story Total: 4359







ChapterPrinter


He ran down the halls of Hogwarts. Had this been a normal situation, he would have stopped to remember everything that had transpired in these halls. However, today was anything besides normal, even for Harry Potter. He slowed down fifteen feet before reaching the great hall, not wanting to appear winded.

Carefully walking through the open doors, he saw Ron and Hermione waving to him from near to the front. As he approached, he noticed their fingers laced together, as he had seen so many times before. Only now, they did not drop they’re hand shamefully.

“Harry!” Hermione nearly shouted. Quickly she gave him a hug and the sat down. Ron reached behind Hermione and gave him a thump on the back and, leaving his arm behind Hermione, he spoke to Harry.

“Nice to see you mate!”

“Harry!” Hermione cried, nearly ignoring Ron.

“Right here,” Harry said, smirking.

“Look!” she said, thrusting her left hand out at Harry. At first, he did not know what he was supposed to be looking at. Then he noticed a golden band around her ring finger.

“You’re joking!” Harry said to them. Ron turned his trademark shade of red and Hermione beamed.

“What’re you doing here mate?” Ron asked. Harry shifted uncomfortably.

“I…erm…have a lot of friends in this year and- why are you here?” he challenged. Ron shrugged.

“See Ginny.” At that point, they had to stop talking because they new graduates were entering. As the ceremonies began, a girl came up to the podium. Actually, she was quite pretty, thought Harry to himself. Then, with a start, he realized the girl was none other than Luna Lovegood.

“Hello,” she started. “As this year draws to a close, it is strange to look back and think that we came here seven years ago, as first years. It doesn’t seem that long.

“We have been taught from our first spell, to the Patronus Charm and beyond. We have our magnificent teachers to thank for that.

“We have also formed close bonds with people we would have otherwise never met.” Harry looked fondly at his friends as Ron squeezed Hermione’s hand. “We have all gone through trials, be them large or small. We experienced pain and love, and we did it together.

“Under our strong headmaster, Albus Dumbledore, we faced the return of Lord Voldemort.” Though Luna spoke without pause, nearly half the audience flinched. “And one of our midst overcame him, though I don’t know if he is here today. He became a friend to me and showed me who I could be.

“I used to be someone they called Loony Luna. Now I am Valedictorian of the Hogwarts Class of 1998!” Luna turned, showing this was the end of her speech. Everyone clapped and cheered so loud she blushed.

“That was nicely done, but I think she didn’t mention a few of the finer points,” Hermione whispered in his ear. Harry grinned.

Professor McGonagall walked to the podium slowly. It struck Harry suddenly that she was probably quite old. She stood at the podium and took a breath. “Today, students who have become like a family are graduating and going their separate ways. Some, in the course of their years, have received honors, or participated in special ceremonies. For that they will be recognized. First, to Mister Jacob Aarons, Huffflepuff, member of Dumbledore’s Army.” At this point, Harry tuned her out, listening only at familiar names. He remembered his own certificate. Harry James Potter it read. Gryffindor, Member, Co-founder, and former president of Dumbledore’s Army, Award for special services to the school–second year, top of class Defense Against the Dark Arts–third year, participant and co-winner of Triwizard Tournament–fourth year, best score of year– Defense Against the Dark Arts O.W.L., special award for services to the school–seventh year, defeater of Lord Voldemort

A lot. That’s what had happened to him over the years, a lot. Now that he thought on it, he was lucky to be alive. In more than one aspect…

“Mister Colin Creevy,” Professor McGonagall’s voice rang in Harry’s head. Quickly he looked up to see that Colin was next in a long line of students. “Gryffindor, Member of Dumbledore’s Army, top of class Charms–sixth year.” Harry looked at Colin. He had grown from a tiny kid to a not-so-tiny man.

Going through everyone, from Jacob down, it seemed to take forever. Finally, finally, after all the waiting, the person he had been waiting for.

“Miss Ginevra Weasley,” Professor McGonagall said, though Harry was hardly listening. “Gryffindor, Member of Dumbledore’s Army, Prefect, top of year–seventh year.” Ginny accepted the certificate, beaming.

Harry’s heart leapt.

********************************

Later, after talking forever with Hermione and Ron, Harry tapped Ginny on the shoulder. “Hey…can, erm…can I talk to you.” He was amazed that he still had trouble talking to her, even after a year of dating. Ginny followed him out of the Great Hall, while Harry wondered at himself for not even being able to grab her hand. We did stop seeing each other,he thought, to console himself.

“Nice to be out of there, don’t you think Harry?” Ginny asked, waving her hand in front of her face. Harry handed her his program, which she accepted gratefully. “What is it Harry? Something wrong?” she asked, noticing the look on his face.

“Well…” said Harry, his hand in his pocket. He was sure going to be embarrassed, but Ginny had once told him exactly how she wanted it. “Can we go over there?” Harry asked, gesturing out the open doors.

“Sure,” Ginny said tentatively. They walked out together.

Taking a deep breath, Harry screwed up his courage, and did it just as he imagined. Reaching in his pocket, he grabbed the small box while he moved closer to Ginny. She didn’t see the box.

“This isn’t exactly how you wanted it,” Harry whispered in her ear. “But it’s all I can do.” Then he opened the box. Within lay the ring he had had Hermione help him pick out the week before. Gold, with a single diamond set in the middle of the thin band. Ginny drew a sharp breath.

“I love you. Will you marry me?” Ginny looked at him, then dropped her eyes to the box in his hands, which Harry tried to hold steady. Just when Harry thought she was going to reject him, she reached into the box and put the ring on her finger.

“It fits perfectly!” she exclaimed. Then she looked straight into Harry’s eyes, and kissed him gently on the lips.
Reviews 16
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear