Search:

SIYE Time:21:12 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


What's In a Name?
By Avery

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Humor, General
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 11
Summary: Perhaps Ginny Weasley wasn't the brightest of sixth years or the most attractive... or the funniest... but she did have a quite unique first name; Ginevra. The story of Ginny's name and then some. H/G
Hitcount: Story Total: 4284







ChapterPrinter


Author: Avery (aka. Kaiyana)

A/N: Obviously Ginny is sixteen in this story, although you wouldn't know by this chapter. There will be more to come... so stay tuned. And please be nice and drop off a review! Thanks.


*


The name hadn't fit, and that's why they called me Ginny. Plain Ginny. I remember the way I had begged my mother to tell me the story. I was only six and I wanted to know how they had come up with my name. The story behind it. The meaning. My mother glanced up from where her dark eyes were transfixed on the floor. With one hand she grasped her wand and was directing sponges to clean the mud that Fred and George had just tracked in, and with the other she stirred a pot of water, which was threatening to boil over. I tugged on her apron, ignoring her current disposition.


"Please mum... tell me!" I whined, pulling a little harder on her skirt. She brushed my hand aside and continued to stir the pot.


"I've told you before, Ginny."


"I forget. Tell me again!" I demanded a little louder, scrunching up my face in frustration. A bang from upstairs suddenly erupted and I could hear laughter from above. My mother frowned and shook her head.


"Fine. But really listen this time, so I don't have to tell you again," she chided. "Before Bill was born, your father told me that it was possible that we might never have a girl. I told him not to be silly, since there was no way of knowing. But your father insisted, saying that for many generations there had been hardly any girls born on the Weasley side. I remember feeling slightly upset, as I hadn't a preference, but did eventually want a girl. With that in mind, your father and I never really discussed a girl's name and the night you were born was... well, rather chaotic. In fact Ginny, you were nameless for almost a month..."



1981


"ARTHUR!" Molly Weasley screamed at the top of her lungs.


The man of the household fumbled with his wand, while holding two bags, and levitating six others, trying desperately to magically open the door to their home. Molly and the children waited beside him, all impatient and cranky. In her arms lay two babies. One was a year old and the other a day old. The remaining five, as they would take to long to name, whined and moaned in the background.


"Hurry UP!" She yelled again, while tending to the tiny Ron and well, the baby. Yes, they hadn't even named their seventh child yet. They were terrible, terrible parents. The problem was they hadn't expected it to be a girl. They had so many ideas for boys names, they were set for life, but when it came to a girl, well, both Molly and Arthur's minds drew a blank. Somehow, they couldn't agree on anything! For a small period of time they had been set on Julia, but then Molly remembered she'd had a nasty cousin named Julia, and it had been scrapped. As you could see, they were in quite a pickle.


"Dad, will you please open the damned door!" Bill cried in his most whiny voice. Molly clucked her tongue in disapproval, but was to annoyed herself to argue.


Finally, the door swung open and the large family rushed inside. The boys were put to bed and at a quarter past Midnight, Molly entered her own room, exhausted from nursing the babies.


"How do you feel?" Arthur timidly asked.


"How do bloody think I feel?" she snapped, but then softened at his hurt look.


"I'm just... tired. And I'm worried that we still haven't found a name for the baby! Imagine what the neighbours will say. If we ever have visitors, we'll have to introduce our daughter as... as... baby! 'Why hello Dumbledore, have you met our daughter baby?!' I just don't know what to do!" Molly lamented, while getting into her nightgown. She slipped into bed and Arthur wrapped his arms around her, comfortingly.


"We'll figure it out. Don't worry."




ONE MONTH LATER




"We didn't figure it out!" Molly cried. Ron and baby sat in matching baskets, while the boys played outside in the yard. Bill had just gotten a toy broom for his birthday, and they were all taking turns on it. George and Fred clapped in the background.


"Dumbledore and guests are going to be arriving in little over an hour and we've made hardly any progress!" she added, while frustratingly scrubbing away a picture, that Fred had drawn on the wall with crayons.


"We thought of Mildred and Katy," said her husband in a weak voice. A tiny smile played on his lips, as he glanced out the window at the boys.


"Arthur, were you seriously considering Mildred? Because if you were, I'll be forced to leave you," Molly joked, although she sounded quite serious to her worried husband.


"Leave it to me, darling. By the time our guests arrive, er- baby will have a name. I promise."


Molly couldn't do anything but nod, because fate had seemingly decided at that precise moment, to make both babies barf simultaneously. Wasn't life grand?




A HALF AN HOUR LATER




He had an idea. Perhaps it wasn't brilliant, but it made sense. Well... it did to him. Bounding up the steps, skipping two at a time, Arthur rushed into his office. The tiny room was filled with strange muggle artifacts and old files from work. He cast the random objects aside and almost tripped on what they called a 'toaster'. Diving into the endless filing cabinet proved to be rather... tricky. Wizard filing cabinets were different from ordinary ones, as the wizard ones were similar to walk-in closets. Arthur opened the bottom drawer and stepped inside. Immediately he fell down and slid along a large tube, which dropped him into a dark room. The opposite wall was covered in drawers and cupboards. Of course, the more expensive cabinet you owned, the nicer the room looked.


"Vacations," Arthur stated in a loud, clear voice. Immediately, the drawers zipped and moved about the room and as abruptly as it had started, it stopped. He walked forward and opened a drawer with the label on the front that read, 'Vacations.'


The Weasley family was... well, not very rich. However, that didn't stop Arthur from collecting information about places that he wanted to visit. It was almost like window shopping. Although, it did help that his department at the Ministry was directly beside the tourism bureau. Throughout the years he had collected over a thousand pamphlets. People at work called him the 'pamphlet guy'. Of course, he hadn't shared any of this with Molly.


"Aha!" he said in a triumphant voice. He briefly glanced at the Italian pamphlet and had only skimmed the pages when a familiar voice screamed, "ARTHUR!"


Hurriedly, he closed the drawer and rushed over to the opening, where the slide had dropped him off. He tapped the wall with his wand and magically the slide turned into stairs. He stared at the long climb up and grumbled, 'We really do have to get a new cabinet.'




ONE HOUR LATER




"Ah, now is this the new baby?" Dumbledore asked the beaming parents. The living room was filled with a colourful display of wizards and witches, who were all tired from the days work, but were quite excited, as they had heard that Molly Weasley had cooked a meal that could easily compete with a Hogwart's feast. Many of the guests were from the Order, but the rest were the couple's friends, who were not as used to being in such strange company. One or two of Arthur's friends from work stared at Dumbledore in awe.


"Actually," replied Molly, "this one is Ron."


Arthur lifted the newest baby into his arms and presented her to Dumbledore. The old man's eyes flashed with amusement, as the child gurgled in excitement. He stretched his arms out and took the tiny baby from Arthur.


"What's her name?"


Molly glanced desperately at Arthur and he nodded reassuringly. She sighed, waiting. Although it had seemed like a good idea at the time, she now wondered what had possessed her to let Arthur choose the name.


"Her name is Ginevra," he stated loud and clear.


"Ginevra," Molly repeated, accepting it as the lovely name rolled off her tongue.


"Ginevra," Dumbledore nodded approvingly. The guests in the room turned to watch as the baby clapped her hands. Smiles tugged at everyone's lips.


"Awww, I thought her name was baby?" yelled George.


*


TBC


The next chapter is finished, so it should be up in a few days. Please remember to review and once again, THANKS!

Reviews 11
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear