Search:

SIYE Time:13:55 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Remember the Lights
By TheHallowsInMe31

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Angst, Romance, Tragedy
Warnings: Death
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 4
Summary: "Promise me that no matter what happens, you will always remember this moment. Promise me Ginny that you'll always remember the lights."
Hitcount: Story Total: 1338
Awards: View Trophy Room


Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights ? J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
I'm hoping this one gets approved. I messaged a moderator to ask if the story was okay. I know this site uses strict rules on what you can and can't post but they haven't reached back to me yet so I decided to go ahead and post and hope for the best. It is a pure Harry/Ginny story with no other pairings so it should be okay.

PS please don't hate me. This one is a tear-jerker.




ChapterPrinter


Ginny was exhausted.

She had been at training camp the past two weeks and true to her nature, Gwenog had run the entire team into the ground. Ginny never thought of how big of a difference going from a Hogwarts house team to a professional team was. She never even considered playing reserve to gain her bearings in the pro league for a few years. She was offered a tryout and subsequently, a chaser position straight out of Hogwarts and immediately jumped at the chance.

She wouldn't have it any other way though. It kept her busy and she was able to push intrusive thoughts of Harry to the back of her mind most days. That's not to say she didn't have her bad days, of course. She still found herself thinking about him late at night after she would return home to her tiny one-bedroom flat she had bought with her sign-on bonus to the Harpies.

Harry Potter.

It had been just over a year since the Battle of Hogwarts. Ginny tried not to think about it. It had been the worst day of her life. Those two days played over in her nightmares constantly. She tried not to think of Harry's broken body. Instead, she focused on other images of the dead. All the other ones who had lost their lives. There had been no comfort that day, at least not for her.

She felt bitter. She tried not to but couldn't help it. She felt bitter at the life that she could've had had everything played out differently. If only Harry had survived. She never thought she would become her own ghost haunting the memories that she loved the most.

"Ginny, what are you still doing here?"

The voice tore her from her thoughts and she looked up to see Charlotte Spriggins, one of the beaters for the Harpies, and her best friend excluding Hermione, staring at her with a thoughtful expression.

"Got lost in my thoughts I guess," Ginny replied with a yawn.

Charlotte looked at her sympathetically. Everyone on the team knew that Ginny still suffered from the battle, from losing Harry. But, by some unspoken rule of consent, no one ever mentioned it or tried to pry details from her.

"Well everyone is going to meet up at Club Fabric tomorrow around 8 p.m. to celebrate making it through Gwenog's hell camp," Charlotte said, "You should come. You need to relieve some stress."

"You know that's not really my thing," Ginny said.

"Oh c'mon Ginny," Charlotte pleaded, "Gwenog is even going this time. It will be fun."

Ginny took one look at her friend's pleading face and replied, "Maybe, I'll think about it."

Charlotte let out a squeal of excitement before hugging Ginny and running out of the room.

Ginny wasn't going to go, of course. She dreaded being around too many people these days and nightclubs were always packed with people. The thought alone made her chest start to ache with anxiety.

Ginny sighed and stood up from the table. What she needed was a nice cup of tea and a long soak in the bath.

She made her way to the apparition point and apparated home with a crack.

Upon arriving, Ginny turned on the light and looked around at her tiny flat. It was nice and neat but not overly so. Her kitchen was connected to the living room to save on space. There was a couch and a couple of chairs in the living room. Against the far wall was a bookcase filled with books and odd keepsakes. One of these keepsakes was a golden snitch. The one Harry had caught, no almost swallowed, in his very first quidditch match. There were no pictures.

Ginny made her way to the loo and shed the clothes off of her aching body as she waited for the tub to fill.

Soon after, she found herself sighing in relief as she submerged herself into the hot water and leaned her head against the edge. Camp had been grueling. She had wanted to play for the Holyhead Harpies ever since she was little though so it was well worth it. If only Harry could be there.

She could almost imagine his grin as he picked her up and twirled her around in his arms as she told him she had made the team. She was living the dream she had dreamed about when she was young. The accomplishment felt hollow though.

Everything felt hollow now without Harry by her side.

She could still remember his bloody body, glasses askew, and the look of absolute determination on his face as he faced Voldemort in the courtyard of Hogwarts.

He had looked at her briefly, only for a moment, but when their eyes locked, she saw no fear in them. She saw only his love for her. She remembered the shouts and the two flashes of green light, one headed for Voldemort, and the other for Harry.

Her Harry.

Ginny had watched, eyes frozen in fear, as his body crumpled to the cold hard stone. He was dead before he hit the ground.

The rest had been a blur. She remembered running to his body, kneeling down, and gathering him in her arms before she started to sob uncontrollably. She vaguely recalled someone trying to pry her away from him but she wouldn't let go.

Later on that day, she found out that Harry had also succeeded in hitting his target and Voldemort was no more.

The celebrations that followed were said to have been legendary. Ginny herself never took part in any of them. How could she when she had lost everything? She couldn't even bring herself to go to the first anniversary of Voldemort's defeat, instead opting to go to Harry's grave.

He never replied back obviously, but she liked to think that wherever he was, he listened to her as she talked to him.

Ginny pulled herself out of the tub, the water well past cooled off now, and dried off before wrapping a towel around herself.

She glanced in the mirror, at the bags under her eyes and her pale skin, before exiting the loo.

She made her way to her bedroom where she donned a pair of faded green pajama bottoms adorned with golden snitches and a t-shirt before sitting on her bed.

Would it always hurt this bad?

Was she doomed to go through life barely living? Harry didn't want this for her. But Harry wasn't here to tell her what to do. She hadn't felt alive, fully alive, in so long.

All she had now were the moments she had shared with Harry. Moments that were now nothing but priceless memories frozen in time, permanently etched reminders in her mind of being in love, and living.

Just living.

She looked at her nightstand, to the only picture in her entire flat, and picked it up with shaking hands.

It was of her and Harry on Primrose Hill. He had taken her there one night and had asked her to marry him.

She found herself drowning in the memory.

{---------}{---------}

"Ha rry where are we?" she asked after she had recovered from the side-along apparition, "And when did you learn to apparate?"

"I learned a couple of weeks ago," he grinned, "And as for where we are my dearest Ginerva, we are in muggle London. Primrose Hill to be exact."

"Why did you bring me here?" Ginny asked, "I know I'm not going to classes anymore with me hiding out in the Room of Requirement but people will notice I'm gone."

"Ginny," he said the grin dropping from his face, "Things are about to get much worse. The battle is coming, soon. I can feel it. I just wanted to spend one more night with you. Just us. No one else. Just in case I don't make it."

"Don't say that," Ginny said heatedly, "Don't you dare say that you aren't going to make it out of this alive."

"It's a possibility," he said eyes now filled with sadness, "I am going to do everything I can to make it back to you, I promise. But if I don't, I wanted to share with you one more special thing in my life."

"It's a park," she said in confusion, "What's so special about a park?"

"It's not about the park," he said now smiling again, "It's about the view."

He grabbed her shoulders and turned her around.

Ginny gasped in surprise. They were on a hill overlooking all of London. She could see all the lights from the cityscape gleaming in the darkness. It was like its own constellation of lights, as if each one were a star.

"Harry," she said, "This is beautiful."

"It is," Harry agreed, "I wanted to bring you here to show you just how beautiful it is, and how even it doesn't compare to how beautiful you are to me."

"And also to do this," Harry added.

Ginny turned to see Harry dropping to one knee.

Was he... Was he really about to do what she thought he was going to do?

He pulled out a small jewelry box and opened it slowly revealing a gorgeous ring and she put her hand over her mouth in shock.

It was a gold band and had three diamonds on it. One bigger than the rest sat in between two smaller ones.

"Marry me?" he asked.

She felt the tears start to fall but she ignored them. She just couldn't take her eyes off of Harry.

"Yes," she said through the tears, "Merlin yes. If I could say yes a thousand times I would."

Harry chuckled as he slipped the ring on her finger and stood up before taking her in his arms.

"You know," he said," My life hasn't always been the best. I never thought I could ever be this happy. Thank you."

"I would do anything for you," Ginny replied as she kissed him.

"Anything?" he questioned.

"Absolutely," Ginny replied.

He turned her back to the cityscape.

"Then promise me one thing," Harry said as he led her to a bench and sat down taking her hand in his as they looked out over London together," Promise me that no matter what happens, you'll always remember this moment. Promise me Ginny that you'll always remember the lights."

He kissed her before she replied, "I promise Harry."

{---------}{---------}

Gin ny was openly crying now as she sat on her bed looking at the picture as she was lost in the memory.

She had kept her promise. She would never break it as long as she lived.

She would always remember the night he took her to Primrose Hill to look at the lights of London.

She remembered his hand in hers as they sat in comfortable silence absorbing the breathtaking view laid out before them.

She remembered a feeling like they were the only two people left in the world. Survivors who had, somehow, made it to the edge of the earth.

That night, the traumas they had lived through just didn't seem to matter. The wounds momentarily closed over and the scars were instantly invisible.

She had not been back there since that night. She couldn't bring herself to go there again. The memory was just too sacred to be tainted.

But Ginny would always remember that night, when it was just Harry and her, sitting in the dark with just dim lamp posts to cast shadows on them, his hand entwined with hers and whenever she caught herself wondering how she would ever muster the strength to survive without him,

She would always remember the lights.
Reviews 4
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear