Search:

SIYE Time:7:26 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Storge
By Shamrock Holmes

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Crossover
Warnings: Mild Language, Violence
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 4
Summary: Black Canary and Zatara of the Justice League are drawn to Godric's Hollow after Voldemort's attack on the Potters. Crossover with Young Justice (2010) and DC Comics in general.
Hitcount: Story Total: 2820; Chapter Total: 344





Author's Notes:
The Myriad of Possibilities Series primarily uses the background from the Harry Potter books, but some elements and scenes have been borrowed from other sources including the movies, Pottermore and my own headcanon, that will be covered where they fit into the narrative. The timeline of the DC Comics elements borrows heavily from Young Justice (2011) and may adapt elements and characters from the comics and several additional other media instalments - including but not limited to Smallville (2001) and Superman and Lois (2021) - and relocates events of Young Justice to the Eighties and early Nineties rather than the New Tens as screened and includes several 'legacy' and original characters as a result. Any other recognisable characters belong to their copyright holders.

This chapter and the following adapt
31.10.81 of Last Daughter of Krypton with some limited changes to accommodate new canon.

Thanks to mystic_magic88 and other members of the Caer Azkaban group for their help on this chapter.





ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter



Pretty Bird Flower Shop,
1870 Park Ave,
Gotham,
CT 06604.
October 31, 11:45 EST.

Dinah poked her head in through the shop's staff door. "Do you need anything before I head up for monitor duty, Mom?"

"No thanks, sweetie. Have fun."

Dinah snorted, 'fun' wasn't a word that she regularly associated with hero work, although she knew that several of her peers - including her boyfriend Ollie - won't agree, then stepped back closed the door and headed out the back door towards the abandoned lot where she'd hidden the Zeta Tube.

Getting there was easy enough, but then things went a little wrong.

The tube didn't activate.

Black Canary scowled. "Override HOJ slash Watchtower, Black Canary One-Three, Priority Yellow!"

The scanner beam activated and flowed up and down her body. "Recognised Black Canary One-Three… System error Zeta-Tube network offline."

Dinah sighed. "Black Canary to Watchtower."

After a moment, the familiar voice of the Martian Manhunter echoed in her ear. "Go ahead, Black Canary."

"The Zeta-Tube's not working. The Computer says the network is offline."

"That could be a problem… I shall run diagnostics immediately. Maintain your position."

"Standing by," replied Dinah.

At a moment later, her cell phone beeped. She removed it and read the message.

It was from Ollie. "Are you free next Friday? Have two tickets to the new show at the Starling Little Theatre?"

"I'll be there,"Dinah replied.



The Watchtower,
Earth Orbit.
11:55 EST.

"R ecognised, Black Canary One-Three."

Looking around the cavernous room, she noticed J'onn and Red Tornado at the main computer bank, looking over something.

"What's up?"

"The latest software patches from S.T.A.R. Labs appear to have been corrupted," replied Red Tornado as she joined them at the console. "We were able to manually initialise your tube individually, but the rest of the system is still offline."

"I'd love to help, but technology and I don't mix."

"I believe that Martian Manhunter and I will be able to restore the system once S.T.A.R. Labs are able to ascertain the nature of the problem."

"Can you route communications and the sensors down the auxiliary console in the library? If you guys are staying up here, I'd like to take advantage of the time."

Red Tornado turned back to the console and touched a couple of keys. "Done."


17:56 EST.

Dinah was deep into a fascinating article in the American Psychologist Journal, when the sensor alert began screaming at her. She scrambled over to the console and pulled up the report. "Black Canary to Meeting Room, we have a situation."

"What is the problem?" asked J'onn. "Can we mobilise members on the ground?"

Dinah shook her head, ignoring that he couldn't see her. "Maybe, but the sensors say that it's a magical explosion in the south-west of England."

"That does limit our options."

At that moment, a tall figure loomed behind her. "I can assist you."

Dinah turned to confirm that it was who she thought it was. "J'onn, I've got Giovanni here."

"Can he teleport you down there?"

The middle-aged man nodded and donned his top hat.

"He says he can."

"Then do so," ordered J'onn. "Red Tornado and I will cover the rest of your shift."

"On our way," confirmed Dinah.

"Ekat su ot Cirdog's Wolloh!" commanded Giovanni, and they disappeared in a flash of light.


Godric's Hollow,
Somerset TA5.
October 31, 22:57 GMT.

When they reappeared on the surface, they were greeted by an infant's cries and a nondescript-looking man in a dark overcoat and a policeman's custodian helmet who promptly called in their arrival to his control room as soon as he walked towards them.

Once he'd joined them by the ruin, Dinah introduced herself and Giovanni, and told him that they were there to help.

"Thank you, ma'am," replied the officer. "I think that we need to get the baby out of there as quickly as possible, then do a more detailed search of the ruins."


Godric's Hollow,
Somerset TA5.
October 31, 22:57 GMT.

When they reappeared on the surface, they were greeted by an infant's cries and a nondescript-looking man in a dark overcoat and a policeman's custodian helmet who promptly called in their arrival to his control room as soon as he walked towards them.

Once he'd joined them by the ruin, Dinah introduced herself and Giovanni, and told him that they were there to help.

"Thank you, ma'am," replied the officer. "I think that we need to get the baby out of there as quickly as possible, then do a more detailed search of the ruins."

Dinah agreed that that made sense, so turned towards her teammate. "Giovanni, can you clear the wreckage and pull the baby out?"

Giovanni nodded, then extended his arms towards the ruins. "Wohs eht regnad!" He paused for a moment, waiting for a reaction, getting none he glanced at the others. "There doesn't appear to be any further danger so... Eerf eht clihc!"

Seconds later, the child's wails increased in volume as the debris between it and the responders were removed by Giovanni's spell, then Dinah quickly crossed the distance and had the child - a boy about a year old - in her arms in seconds. Other than a cut to his head which was bleeding profusely, he seemed none the worse for his experience and quietened as she rocked him.

By the time he'd settled, the two men had joined them. "Can you check him over, sir?" asked the officer. "My skills in the healing arts are limited," Giovanni admitted. "But perhaps... Wohs sih sierujni." The cut on the boy's head lit up briefly, but that was all. "Only the one small wound, it would appear," said Giovanni, pointing a long, graceful finger at the bleeding cut. "Laeh sih dnuow."

Even without the frown on his face, Dinah would've known he was very surprised when nothing happened. Particularly as she'd been expecting a little more herself.

"That is unexpected," said Giovanni. "Perhaps a combination... Mets eht wolf, naelc eht dnuow!"

This time, the spell worked, though perhaps not as well as Giovanni had been expecting as his expression lightened, but he clearly wasn't happy. He turned to the officer. "Do you have an ambulance on the way, Constable…?"

The policeman grimaced. "Special Constable Jacob Smith, sir. Not for at least twenty-five minutes, I'm afraid… two area cars should be here in five or ten minutes though?"

"I would rather not wait," Giovanni said, grimly. "His wound was harder to heal than I expected… I can't guarantee that my spells will hold."

Dinah thought for a moment. She wasn't sure if her plan would work, but she figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. "Giovanni, can you teleport the boy and I to the hospital, but stay on site?"

He paused to consider the question, then nodded. "Not using the same method as before, but yes… you will need to be able to carry him while walking."

"I can do that."

He turned to Smith. "I suggest you have your control room alert the appropriate hospital."

"That would be Bristol Children's Hospital on St Michael's Hill," he told them, then raised his radio. "Cue Pee, Cue Pee, this is Sierra Charlie 2224, receiving over?"

"Sierra Charlie 2224 from Cue Pee… go ahead, over."

"Cue Pee, we've successfully removed an IC1 male, approximately one year of age from the ruins. Juliet Lima wants to transport him direct to Bravo Charlie Hotel for further assessment and treatment, over."

"Standby."

As they waited, Dinah moved over to a nearby tree and rested with her back against it.

"Sierra Charlie 2224 receiving Cue Pee, over."

"Go ahead, over."

"DCI Williams has authorised the transport, he will have someone meet them there, out."

Smith returned his radio to his overcoat, then nodded to Giovanni, who turned towards the largest piece of open space and then raised his arms in supplication. "Nepo a latrop ot Lotsirb Nerdlihc's Latipsoh!"

After a second or so, a golden disk appeared in the air in front of them, Giovanni considered it for a moment, then turned to her and nodded. "It's ready."

Without a word, Dinah shifted the boy in her arms and then walked briskly into the portal and disappeared from sight.


Bristol Children's Hospital
St Michael's Hill,
Bristol BS2.
23:05 GMT.

Dinah stepped out of the portal into a parking lot, and it closed behind her with a snap. After looking around for a moment, she spotted a sign for the 'Paediatric Emergency Department' and decided that that was as good a place as any to look for help and trotted towards the glass double doors carrying her burden.

She was passing an ambulance parked at the same entrance when the doors slid open, and a pair of paramedics came out wheeling a gurney. They spotted her immediately and the elder of the two - a stocky middle-aged man - called it in, while the younger of the two - a long-haired girlish brunette about her own age that introduced herself as Sandra - helped Dinah lay her burden onto their trolley.

They wheeled the trolley through the doors and were met a moment later by a gaggle of medical staff led by a no-nonsense woman with short brown hair and a man with sandy, curly hair. "What have we got, Andrew?"

"Not sure, Dr Samuels," he admitted. "We found them in the ambulance bay when we were on our way out."

Dr Samuels turned to her. "And you are?"

"Black Canary," replied Dinah. "I'm with the Justice League."

The woman nodded briskly. "What can you tell me about my patient?"

"Not much," Dinah admitted. "We pulled him out of the ruins of a cottage out in Godric's Hollow a few minutes ago. There was an explosion… my team-mate and the responding officer are still investigating that."

"Was he injured?"

"A small head wound that my teammate was able to close magically on the second attempt," Dinah confirmed. "He's calm enough now, but he was making a noise when we arrived."

Dr Samuels looked pleased at that. "I think we need to check him over thoroughly just to be on the safe side. Charlie, can you set up for x-rays… let's have head, neck and chest… blood gases…"

The group passed through into the resuscitation room and once the boy was transferred over, the paramedic pair drew Dinah out of the room.

"Let's get him booked in," said Sandra. "Do you know his details?"

"I know the address where we found him," Dinah replied. "Any more than that would be guessing until the team on-site finds out more."

Sandra made a face. "We'll make do."


Children's Ward,
November 1st, 0917 GMT.

Dinah was on her third cup of dubious hospital coffee when a middle-aged man in a doctor's white coat and a turban came up to her. "Black Canary?"

"That's me," replied Dinah, standing up stretching out her hand for a handshake, which the man returned.

"Balkar Qalhari, I'm the consultant here. I understand you brought in our young John Doe last night?"

Dinah nodded, "My team-mate Zatara and I helped the police pull him out of his ruined house."

"Well, I'm pleased to say you got to him on time," replied the doctor. "Other than the cut to his head, he doesn't appear to have any additional injuries."

"No concussion, swelling, bruising…?" clarified Dinah, puzzled.

"Nothing," confirmed the consultant. "He's free to go as soon as you find someone to release him too."

Dinah nodded, "Giovanni and some local detectives have been working on that over-night… we think that the dead couple we found in the ruins were his parents, so it might take some time…"

"I've notified Social Services," added Mr Qalhari. "But with the weekend it could take a day or two for them to send someone over."

Dinah nodded, SCCPS would have had the same issue. "Can you help here till then?"

Mr Qalhari nodded. "We're not busy, that shouldn't be a problem."

Dinah smiled. Her commlink beeped. "Go ahead."

It was Giovanni. "Can you leave the hospital? The senior detective wants to have a meeting on the case."

"I've just got a report from the consultant," Dinah replied. "Our boy's going to be fine, and they'll keep him in until either the police or social services can place him."

"Sounds good," replied Giovanni after a moment. "One of the team should be with you in a couple of minutes."

"I'll be waiting," confirmed Dinah, then turned back to the consultant.

"Unless there's anything else?" asked the man.

Dinah shook her head. "No, that's everything. We'll let you know if anything turns up at our end."

"As will I," confirmed Mr Qalhari and wandered off.

He had just gone out of sight when a red‑headed young man - about her own age but with Superman's height and build appeared, dressed in the cheap suit and tie - a dark blue number with narrow gold and cyan stripes - favoured by junior detectives the world over.

Probably a college tie, thought Dinah. "Are you my ride?"

The red-haired giant's face split in a boyish, friendly grin as he nodded. "T/DC Russell Ripley at your service, ma'am. You can call me Russ."

"Dinah."

"Any word on the boy?" asked Russ as the pair headed towards the exit.

"He'll be fine."


Avon and Somerset CID,
The Bridewell,
Bristol BS1.
0928 GMT.

"Good morning, everyone," said the stocky man that sat at the head of the table. The senior detective appeared to be in his late thirties with prematurely greying hair and a wide, searching expression in a cheap dark suit with a blue tie with silver-and-black stripes. "I am Detective Chief Inspector Tomos Williams. The date is November 1st, 1981… this is the first meeting of Operation Stork, the investigation into the deaths of three unknown adults and the endangerment of a young boy - name as yet unknown - in Godric's Hollow, Somerset on the evening of the thirty-first of October."

Dinah took in the other people at the rectangular table as she sat down. On the opposite side of the table were two women in cheap suits, presumably other detectives - an elfin woman in her late twenties with silvery-blond hair that cascaded down the back of her suit and another a little younger, an inch or two shorter than Dinah herself, with deep-set brown eyes, chiselled features and ink-black hair that hinted some sort of mixed ancestry and a long scar that cut from her left eyebrow to the corner of her mouth that suggested she might have an interesting story or two to tell as well, with her driver taking the remaining empty seat on that side.

On her side of the table was her fellow Justice Leaguer, Giovanni; a short, narrow-faced man with a dark widow's peak, probably an ex-soldier; and lastly a woman that could have been her own double - save for the longer hair, a voluminous and nearly floor-length mane if she was any judge - in a conservative white suit and a pale blue blouse.

"Does anyone have anything to add?"

The ex-soldier nodded.

"Mr Pearce?"

"I've been consulting with my colleagues at the Shaw Building," said Mr Pearce. "And we believe that the third body… the man who was reported to you shortly before the explosion… is a known terrorist who goes by the name Lord Voldemort, real name unknown, who has been active within certain traditional communities in this country over the last decade."

"IRA?"

"No," replied Mr Pearce. "We believe his group is independent of the Irish paramilitaries and has other objective. I'm afraid that further information than that is classified at this time."

The SIO grunted in frustration at that but chose not to pursue the topic. "Do you have anything on the couple?"

Mr Pearce shook his head. "Nothing that contradicts the theory that they are the couple that owned the cottage."

"James and Lily Potter?"

Pearce nodded.

"Anne, do you have anything to add?"

"Not much," admitted the elfin blond. "I've a feeling that the closest neighbour - Bathilda Bagshot - knows something… but other than confirming that James and Lily Potter fit the description of the dead couple and that they had a son called Harry recently, she couldn't tell me anything more."

"Couldn't or wouldn't?"

Anne shrugged, "Hard to say, boss. She's ancient and pretty frail… according to village scuttlebutt she's over a hundred."

"So maybe she doesn't remember any more?"

Anne nodded. "It's possible."

"Holly, anything from the pathologist?"

"Not yet," replied the scar-faced woman. "They picked up the bodies about sunrise, but I haven't heard anything back yet."

"Check in with them after this meeting."

"Will do, boss."

"Mr Zatara?"

"The explosion was definitely induced," Giovanni reported. "Deliberate… not natural."

"Magical?" asked Williams.

There was noise from the other side of the table, Dinah glanced in that direction and saw that Pearce had stiffened at the second question.

"Possibly."

"B y this… Voldemort?"

"That would be my assumption."

"Black Canary?"

"The boy has been cleared by the hospital. No injuries other than the superficial head wound."

"Good, good…. Anne, can you try and find out if there's any next-of-kin details for young Mr Potter?"

His deputy nodded.

"I believe I can cast a spell to answer that question, if necessary," offered Giovanni.

"I'd prefer to rely on conventional methods," replied Williams. "But I'll bear it in mind."

Giovanni nodded, nonplussed by the refusal.

"Well, if there's nothing else, I'll adjourn for the moment?" Nobody had anything to add, so Williams dismissed them, and Dinah rose to her feet.

"Dinah."

"Yes, Giovanni?"

"WDC Goldberg has had a couple of bunks set up for us if you want some rest?"

"I wouldn't mind… I'm a night-owl most of the time, but my body's telling me that I've been on the go since late morning and that it's about four am, so I wouldn't mind a nap."

"Follow me then," said her teammate and lead her out of the conference room and down the corridor.

"How's Zee?"

"She is well. My old friend Tong He Ping is looking after her for the weekend."

"I thought they don't get on?"

"They don't. It would not be a suitable arrangement long term."

"Have you decided what you're going to tell Batman about his proposal?"

"To give my daughter a glorified backstage pass to the Hall of Justice, so that she can hang around with a trio of hormonal teenage boys…"

"That's a no, then?"

"If he had a serious proposal, I'd consider it. But as it is…"

"I can understand that…" Dinah admitted. "I'll pass it on."

"Thank you," said Giovanni, then indicated a door. "This is us."


Little Whinging,
Surrey TW17.
November 1st, 2345 GMT.

The tabby cat, who had been sitting on the wall outside Number 4 Privet Drive watching the comings and goings of the inhabitants all day, was diverted from her steadfast, unblinking vigil by a soft 'pop' that would likely have been unnoticed by any human ear nearby. She turned towards the sound, tail twitching and eye narrowed and was rewarded with a sight that was as familiar to her as her own but had never been seen on Privet Drive.

The man was tall, thin, and very old, judging by the silver of his hair and beard, which were both long enough to tuck into his belt. He was wearing long robes, a purple cloak that swept the ground, and high-heeled, buckled boots. His blue eyes were light, bright, and sparkling behind half-moon spectacles and his nose was very long and crooked, as though it had been broken at least twice. This man's name was Albus Dumbledore.

Albus Dumbledore didn't seem to realize, or perhaps he didn't care, that he had just arrived in a street where everything from his name to his boots was unwelcome. He was busy rummaging in his cloak, looking for something.

After a moment, he located what he was looking for - a device of his own making somewhat similar in appearance to an ornate cigarette lighter called the Deluminator - and activated it, zapping all the light out of lampposts nearby. It was only after he returned the device to his cloak pocket that he appeared to notice his audience, because he suddenly turned and looked at the cat, which was still staring at him from the other end of the street. The cat seemed to amuse him, as he turned to her with a small grin on his face. "I should have known that you would be here... Professor McGonagall."

In a moment, the tabby cat was gone.

In her place stood a slightly ruffled, but rather severe-looking woman who was wearing square glasses exactly the shape of the markings the cat had had around its eyes. She, too, was wearing a cloak, an emerald one. Her black hair was drawn into a tight bun.

"Good evening," said his deputy, a hint of warm in her tone briefly before it returned to briskness. "Are the rumours true, Albus?"

"I'm afraid so, Minerva," replied the headmaster. "The good… and the bad."

"And the boy?"

"Hagrid is bringing him here."

Anyone with the slightest acquaintance with Professor McGonagall would be able to tell from her expression that she was not pleased with this information, and several emotions flitted across her face as she discarded first one argument and then a second, until she lit upon a point that she thought she could and raise. "Do you think it wise to trust Hagrid with something as important as this?"

"Minerva, I would trust Hagrid with my life."

Professor McGonagall looked like she wanted to say more, but her attention was diverted by a low, rumbling sound overheard that gradually built into a roar as a huge motorcycle crashed out of the sky, slamming into a parked car, writing it off and scattering pieces of debris across the street.

The two professors were dumb with shock for a moment. Professor Dumbledore was the first to address the huge, bearded man who was now clambering to his feet, shaking his head. Apparently only a little the worse for wear. "Hagrid, at last. Where did you get that motorcycle?"

"Sorry abou' tha'," said Hagrid, eyeing the wreck. "Young Sirius Black leant it to me. Only, I've never ridden one before and I'm not exactly at me best at the moment…"

Professor Dumbledore was about to ask why his groundskeeper wasn't at his best, when he noticed something that filled him with dread.

Hagrid wasn't carrying anything.

"Hagrid, where's the boy?" demanded Professor Dumbledore. "Where is Harry Potter?"

The bearded man sobbed, "I couldn' find him… the muggles were already swarmin' around the wreckage by the time I got there, so I couldn' get close… Black turned up a few minutes after I did an' he was able to check the wreckage somehow… James', Lily's, and You-Know-Who's bodies were still in the ruins, but Harry was gone. The muggles must have moved him somewhere."

Professor Dumbledore's expression darkened, but once he removed a trinket from another pocket in his robes and consulted it, his expression lightened again. "Well, while I prefer to know where he's gone… he appears to be in good health, if somewhat distressed, so that will be sufficient for the present."

"Then we just give up on him?!" hissed Professor McGonagall.

"Not give up as such," Professor Dumbledore assured her. "However, public morale cannot survive such a quick reversal of our fortunes… everything must be seen to be normal, even if we keep up a covert search."

Professor McGonagall frowned, but eventually she nodded agreement.

"However, there is no further reason to tarry here. We may as well join the celebrations," declared Dumbledore, then turned and walked back down the street. On the corner he stopped and took out the Deluminator. He clicked it once, and twelve balls of light sped back to their streetlamps so that Privet Drive glowed suddenly orange, and he could make out a tabby cat slinking around the corner at the other end of the street.

After considering the two wrecked vehicles for a moment, he drew his wand and Vanished them. He returned his wand to his cloak and then approached Hagrid, offering the other man his arm. Hagrid accepted it and then with a louder pop than before, they were gone.


N/B: The Shaw Building is a possible nickname for Norman Shaw Buildings, Victoria Embankment in London, originally the second headquarters of the Metropolitan Police (ie the original New Scotland Yard), in MoP it is now the headquarters of the Strange Happenings Executive, a UK counterpart of my invention to DC's (American) Department of Extranormal Operations, Marvel's SHIELD, SWORD or WHO organisations or Doctor Who's UNIT and Torchwood Institute.

Reviews 4
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear