Search:

SIYE Time:9:59 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Harry Potter And The Broken Wizard
By Seeker_Quill07

- Text Size +

Category: Pre-OotP, Post-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Luna Lovegood, Minerva McGonagall, Neville Longbottom, Nymphadora Tonks, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley, Severus Snape
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, General, Tragedy
Warnings: Death, Mental Abuse, Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations, Negative Alcohol Use, Spouse/Adult/Child Abuse, Violence
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 14
Summary: Harry's past is slowly breaking him, with the resurrection of Voldemort the future looks even more dark. Will Harry succumb or will help come from friends he never expected to have? Sirius dead in third year. Neville is the BWL. Voldemort didn't keep all his hopes on just Horcruxes. How will our heroes solve this new mystery? h/g r/hr
Hitcount: Story Total: 4378; Chapter Total: 472





Author's Notes:
A huge thanks to Jui (FGHermione) for her great beta work and advice.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


CHAPTER 5

Harry was mentally castigating himself. Why did I blab like a pathetic idiot?

Maybe it’s because you are, supplied his ever-present traitorous mind which always looked for an opportunity to downgrade him.

“You have to stop running from your past, Harry. It’s time you faced it,” said Remus after closing the door of the room behind him.

“I’m not running away from anything, Remus,” snapped Harry. He didn’t like Remus pointing out what he didn’t want to admit to himself.

“You are slowly closing off, Harry. I have observed you. It won’t do you any good. You have to let someone in, Harr-”

“I let you in. I let Hagrid in -”

“Did you really? Because I don’t think so. Half the stuff you said back there is new to me. As time is passing, you are erecting barriers around you, Harry. Maybe you think they will protect you. But they won’t; believe me, they will only make it harder for you to come past them,” Remus said with such emotion that Harry didn’t feel he could deal with at the moment. He instead chose to strike back.

“That’s pretty rich coming from you, isn’t it? You didn’t even have the courtesy to say you were my parents’ best friend for two months from meeting me!” said Harry.

“And I regret it. I regret not being there for you; I still kick myself for becoming so engrossed in my misery that I thought you were better off without me. But after Albus told me what happened, I was ashamed of showing my face to you. Believe me, Harry, I will regret this to my dying day,” said Remus. “And great advice usually comes from people who wished they had followed it…” After a slight pause, he whispered, “I don’t want to lose you too.”

Harry looked up sharply at this; he could understand where this was coming from, how couldn’t he?

Remus had lost his best friends, his family in one night. Two murdered, one believed to have betrayed everyone, and the other murdered by the betrayer. And his friends had thought he was the traitor. He had had to live with that knowledge. And then the truth finally came out; the one who he had thought had betrayed everyone was innocent, and the one believed to be dead was very much alive- and had been the mole the entire time. And then, after finally getting this knowledge, he had to lose his best friend all over again.

He could also remember trying to steal Sirius’ corpse under the ministry’s nose with Remus, who didn’t even get a little rest after the transformation with some help from Dumbledore. So that Sirius could at least rest near his best friends in Godric’s Hollow. It strengthened their relationship.

If anyone could empathize with him, it’s Harry. They were the only living link to each other of his parents and Sirius. He couldn’t lose Remus either.

“You will not lose me, Remus,” said Harry, “we will talk, but not now."

Remus perhaps understanding the underlying plea didn’t press further, at least for now.

Trying to reorient his thoughts took longer than he liked.

“Viktor said he knows someone who wants to get rid of some of his books, books that are dark enough that he didn’t even try to open and wanting to erase his connection to them,” said Harry, explaining the letter.

The thing they have talked about is to search how Voldemort remained alive after taking the killing curse rebounded, though it was. They think Dumbledore already knows or at least has some idea, but as Dumbledore wouldn’t share the information, they’re trying to get some themselves.

“Well, they sound like the type of books from which Voldemort could’ve got the information,” said Remus. “I think sending Dobby to retrieve them is better than an owl post. And how much did he ask for them?”

Remus still looked like he would want to continue the previous conversation. Harry was grateful he didn’t.

“A five thousand galleons, but I think it’s worth it, at least so that it wouldn’t fall in the wrong hands. And I’m thinking of sending Dobby too,” Harry said and called "Dobby!"

With a loud crack, Dobby appeared, his tennis ball-like eyes wide and his bat-like pointed ears quivering with excitement at being called. He wore his trademark mismatched jumper and shorts and socks. But there was a slight air of gloom to him. Which made Harry concerned.

“Good afternoon Harry Potter sir and Remy sir, what can Dobby do for you?” said Dobby," Harry Potter is taking care of himself, I hope."

Remus raised an eyebrow at this.

Harry knew why Dobby was asking this, as Dobby was the one who treated his injuries the last time, and he could still feel a slight pain in his ribs if he did some heavy work.

“I’m fine, Dobby. Is everything alright Dobby? You know you can ask me if you need anything, right?” asked Harry.

Dobby’s eyes slowly welled up with tears.

“It’s Winky Harry Potter sir. She didn’t stop her drinking, sir. Dobby doesn’t know what to do, Dobby is afraid Winky will… will,” and he burst into very noisy tears and flung himself on Harry’s knees.

Harry, who knew that Winky was already in awful shape the last time he saw, could only imagine how she is now. Drunk with barely any coherent thought, thin and fragile... Dobby suddenly looked up with so much hope shining in his eyes that Harry was sure he would have done anything he could if Dobby asked for it.

“Would Harry Potter take Winky as his house-elf? Dobby is sure Winky will get back to normal if she has someone she has to look after. Winky needs to feel belonged in a family. This place also needs a lot of cleaning. That nasty Kreacher is a disgrace for the house-elves. He talks ill about his master and doesn’t do very good work for you, Harry Potter sir. Winky would do great work for you, sir…”

Harry stopped Dobby in his mid-rant and said, “Ok Dobby, Winky can work for me if you think that will help her and keep you happy.”

Dobby hugged Harry, which was surprisingly tight for his small stature and proclaimed,

“Harry Potter is the bestest greatest wizard ever.”

Harry didn’t know how to make Dobby stop saying those things and Remus laughing beside him didn’t help matters.

“Ok Dobby, remember what are friends for? You know the rules, Dobby, say that to her before bringing her here and I need a small favour from you, Dobby,” said Harry.

“Anything Harry Potter, sir,” replied Dobby.

“I want you to go to Bulgaria to Viktor Krum’s house and bring a parcel for me, Dobby. They are very important and take five thousand galleons from Gringotts. The key is in the trunk and deposit the parcel you receive in the trunk too. Is that okay, Dobby?” asked Harry.

“Yes, Harry Potter sir. Dobby will be very discreet with it”.

“And here” Harry handed the piece of parchment of the address in Dumbledore’s loopy handwriting to Dobby," Show it to Winky, and you know where to place the parchment back."

“Thank you again, Harry Potter sir!” and with a loud crack, Dobby disappeared.

“Still very enthusiastic about you, I see,” said Remus smiling.

“Yeah, he is and I think he will always remain like that,” cheerful little bugger, Harry thought fondly

It touched Harry that Remus didn’t even feel the need to question his judgment to give Winky away the address of headquarters.

“Lunch is ready. Everyone come on dears.”

Mrs Weasley’s voice came from the dining room. Dreading to meet everyone again, Harry plastered a smile on his face and went downstairs with Remus, who wasn’t fooled by his smile.

___________

Dinner was an awkward affair. Harry, who didn’t want to broach his past, kept his silence, slowly chewing the roast chicken whose brilliant taste he couldn’t quite appreciate at the moment.

Ginny and Hermione kept their silence but were shooting the occasional concerned glances his way. Fred, George and Ron, who must have understood his embarrassment, acted as though nothing happened and were discussing the Chudley Cannons’ chances this year. (which consisted mainly of Ron’s confidence that they will win this year for sure and Fred and George ribbing him about it.)

Harry was grateful for it. Remus and Tonks were slowly talking at his side of the table. Mrs Weasley, perhaps sensing something, remained silent herself.

Someone or more entering the building broke this slight tension. The distinctive thump of Moody’s stump is audible, along with the calm voice of,

“Hope I am not intruding, Molly,” said Albus Dumbledore. Harry has seen little of Dumbledore except for a few pleasantries now and then.

“Oh no Albus, though it is a surprise. Come and sit down Albus, you too Alastor. There is still more lunch available,” said Mrs Weasley, who is always ready to feed someone or the other.

She had taken it as her job to fatten him up, expressing how thin he was and spooning third and fourth helpings on his plate. And truth to be told, he quite enjoyed her fussing on him.

“Alastor and I have some business nearby Molly and I decided it would be prudent if I delivered the book lists and school letters as the school owls couldn’t enter the building. I also hoped to taste your excellent food Molly,” said Dumbledore, who didn’t lose his charm even though most of the ministry and wizarding Britain think he has round the bend.

Mrs Weasley glowed at the praise and spooned more roast chicken on his plate.

And two sharp cracks echoed at the same time, startling everyone and making Moody whip his wand out and point it towards the source, and looked about to curse whatever he might find there.

Harry, who knew full well the reputation of Moody, took out his own wand and stood in front of the house-elves ready to produce a shield.

"You can lower your wand, Moody. They mean no harm," said Harry, who still found it disconcerting to look into Moody’s face without remembering Barty JR.'s crippled face.

Moody didn’t look ready to lower his wand. Dumbledore assured him, after seeing Winky and Dobby, that they would mean no harm.

After ensuring that Moody lowered his wand, Harry turned around and saw that Winky really did look in a terrible shape. Her tennis ball sized eyes were dull, and she was also quite thin looking.

“Hello Winky, it’s good to see you again,” Harry said kindly.

Winky at once burst into tears and launched herself at his midriff, bawling her eyes out, speaking incoherently.

“Thank you Harry Potter sir, Winky is… proud to - hiccough - Winky will…. everything.”

Harry was at a loss for words and tried to console her and looked pleadingly towards Dobby, who looked as though he would cry from happiness too.

“Dobby told you the conditions for working with me right Winky,” asked Harry.

“Yes Harry Potter sir, but Winky won’t need any day-offs or wages-”

Harry overrode her protestations, saying,

“I will hire you Winky, but you will not be a slave to me. If you don’t want any wages, then you should take something that you may like. You can inform any inconveniences you have about any work and must take the rest. You will have plenty of work cleaning this place and I want you to take it slow-”

“You are hiring a house-elf to clean this building, boy. Have you gone mad? The Order meetings will take place here. She could be a liability. She will know more than she should,” interrupted Moody heatedly with his magical eye fixed upon Harry

Hermione too tried to express her displeasure about hiring a house-elf and also about them being a liability but Ron shushed her.

“I trust her Moody-”

“Well, I don’t trust her, boy,” snarled Moody.

Harry lost his temper and snarled back.

“Then, it’s a pity that I don’t give a rat’s fart about what you think and even more of a pity that this place doesn’t belong to you.”

Moody turned towards Dumbledore for support, who was looking at Harry with those piercing blue eyes, which never failed to give Harry the impression that he was being x-rayed and Dumbledore knew all his fears and insecurities.

He finally said, ”This is Harry’s house Alastor, and it’s his wish whom he wants to bring here. And I trust him to make wise decisions."

“No wonder many are thinking you have gone senile and insane, Albus. Didn’t you learn anything from the past? How many we lost because we foolishly trusted the wrong person,” Moody said, now furious.

“What are you insinuating, Moody?” whispered Harry, who understood perfectly well what Moody was insinuating. His parents, who trusted Wormtail, were foolish, were they? To trust their best friend for whom they would’ve given their lives.

“That was uncalled for Alastor.” Said Remus, who must have thought the same.

“It’s the truth whether you want to admit it or not,” growled Moody.

“What did all your precautions and vigilance bring you, Moody? Being prisoned in your own trunk and being used for Voldemort’s plot,” Harry snarled back.

There was a complete silence. Harry knew it wasn’t Moody’s fault, but all these suspicions and the emotional rollercoaster and Moody saying his parents’ death was because of their stupidity made him lash out.

“That’s what I am saying, boy. You could never be too careful. The whole Order members’ lives are on the line, boy, do you want to endanger them?” said Moody, who too seemed to be wrestling with his temper.

“Winky will not betray Harry Potter sir and that means anyone Harry Potter sir cares about. Winky will rather die sir. Winky will be a good House elf,” Winky said frantically, afraid she might not be taken.

“Yes sir, we is not betraying anyone,” said Dobby, nodding frantically.

Harry, whose anger is now well under control, replied, “I know you will, Winky. Listen, Moody Winky is not a human. That alone is enough to trust her more than many. She never revealed Crouch’s secrets, even after he sacked her. She’s a House elf. Their main aim is to please their masters, whom they respect. If we show her the respect she deserves, I doubt that will be a problem. Now it’s up to you whether you want to continue to use this house as the headquarters or not.”

Moody’s hard stare with both his magical and normal eyes was starting to unnerve him. At last, Dumbledore said,

“Winky can work here. I am sure you understand the sensitivity of the situation Winky. We are, that is Harry is placing huge trust on you Winky. Make sure it isn’t misplaced.”

Harry then turned to Winky, who looked as though Christmas had arrived early.

“Now Winky, I don't know if there is any process for this or not. But my first order is for you to stop drinking and then get back to good health before you come to work.” Said Harry, who couldn’t help but smile at the House elf’s disappointment at not being able to join work now and elation at being once again getting to work in a family ( though it contained only one Potter now.)

“There isn’t any process Harry Potter sir, the master and the elf being in agreement is enough. Thank you Harry Potter sir, Winky can’t be able to thank you enough,” said Winky and bowed low enough that her nose touched the ground.

“No!” Harry said sharply." You bow to one here. Remember that.”

Winky looked like she didn't know what to make of her new master with his bizarre rules.

“You got a letter, Harry Potter which is placed at its usual place(which meant his charmed trunk) and Dobby will now go and do the work given to him sir,” said Dobby, who too looked quite cheerful.

“Don’t forget to bring your girlfriend a nice dress, Dobby,” said Harry, winking at him.

Dobby and Winky blushed if a house-elf could do that. And everyone laughed at his apparent discomfort.

The book lists and school letters remained in their position forgotten in the wake of the heated argument

Moody still looked unhappy with the situation and the others looked as though they didn't know what to make of the situation.

Deciding he needed a bit of solitude before he and Remus went to carry on their business.

“The meal was wonderful as always Mrs Weasley,” Harry said and gave a nod to Dumbledore, he started leaving when Dumbledore said, "Mind is a very complex thing Harry and sometimes relieving some pressure on it helps. Even a huge pile of gold and assets can't do that but also sometimes everything we need is right under our noses. And now I should take my leave too Molly and like Harry said, your cooking is wonderful as always."

With that he and Moody departed, Dumbledore giving a wave, leaving the room entirely confused except Harry.

Harry recalled his encounter with Dumbledore's Pensieve last year.

This Pensieve Harry, helps this old man to relieve his mind of its vast memories for a while. Also helps me examine things in significant detail.

Harry could do with a Pensieve now, but where would he get one? Sometimes what we need is right under our noses. Harry wondered whether the Blacks had a Pensieve and decided to visit the vault, which he avoided until today, and left the room.

Up in his room, Harry stripped to his boxers to change into a different dress and saw his reflection in the mirror. A pale figure with messy black hair and bright green eyes stared back at him.

His body was littered with small scars courtesy of his childhood but the most prominent was the lightning bolt-shaped scar which he was sure Bellatrix carved from a cursed knife to get answers from his mother, he could still hear his mother’s voice pleading and Bellatrix’s maniacal laugh from his encounters with dementors. And the long scar which extended from his torso to his right thigh, from his duel with the fake Moody.

______________________________ ____

A.N: Hope you like this chapter. Thanks to my wonderful beta Jui (FGHermione) for her amazing work. The updating of the new chapters will not be as frequent as my college is reopening.
Reviews 14
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
! Go To Top !

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding 2008 by melkior and Bear