Search:

SIYE Time:14:27 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Don't Give Up On Me
By HappyHouriFanfic

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:All
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Romance
Warnings: Death, Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations, Violence
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 173
Summary: Harry Potter has a destiny to defeat Voldemort and save the Wizarding World, but it’s hard to do when he’s the only one who knows that the Dark Lord has returned.
Hitcount: Story Total: 50409; Chapter Total: 1501
Awards: View Trophy Room






ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


“We should go to Hogwarts and ask--”

“No.”

“Harry--”

“Hermion e, leave it alone for right now.”

The tension in the room was thick and Harry wished that he could go back in time and discover the horcrux on his own so he didn’t have to deal with Hermione nagging him about it, or Ginny’s deep looks that were full of emotions he didn’t want to deal with.

They’d had the thing for more than a week and Harry still had no idea how to destroy it, or if they even could. Hermione had come up with a dozen different ways for them to try and figure it out, but Harry’d found something wrong with each one of them enough to actually win an argument.

He knew he was being a prat, but there was something deep inside him that wasn’t ready to tell anyone else about the horcruxes yet, and all Hermione’s plans included telling someone else.

Ginny was quiet about his request for time so far, but he knew she was still worried about the dream of the snake. He hadn’t had one since and had come to try and convince himself that it was nothing more than a dream. It wasn’t working.

“We should try and figure out where this memory charm is anchored,” said Ginny. “We need to break it.” Harry eyed her closely and wondered what was going through her head. She’d accused him of holding things back from him, which he did, yet it was clear that her own mind had been working overtime. She’d been the strongest proponent for waiting to destroy the charm and free them all from the effects, but it seemed as if she might have changed her mind now.

“We’ve found one horcrux,” she continued. “And we’ll figure out how to destroy it soon enough. The other two...well, we know where they are, at least. And we need to start making a plan to get them.”

Hermione pressed her lips together and picked at her meal, staring down at the food in thought.

“What about--”

Whatever it was she was going to say, however, was drowned out by the flash of the floo and Ron, stumbling through. He was in his work robes, but they were wrinkled and twisted.

Harry stood up so quick that he banged his knees on the table. “Ron! Is everything…?”

“Fine,” Ron said. His hair was in disarray and a bruise was forming at the corner of his eye. A single drop of blood fell from his nose and splashed on the maroon of his robes, soaking into the fabric. “I’m okay.”

“What happened?!” Both Hermione and Ginny rushed forward, tugging at him to sit down. Harry stood, his wand drawn and pointed at the floo, in case someone else should come through.

“Bloody Malfoy,” Ron growled. “He showed up at the shop today, demanding to know where you were, Hermione. When I wouldn’t answer his questions, the berk began threatening me.” A slow smile spread over his face as his eyes met Harry’s over Hermione’s bushy hair. “I punched him in the nose.”

“Looks like he landed one back,” Ginny pointed out.

“Oh, this?” Ron touched his nose, wiping away another drop of blood. “Nah, I barreled through a couple of Aurors out on the Alley to get away. Damned Nott was trying to arrest me for hiding a fugitive.”

Hermione gasped. “Fugitive? I’m a fugitive?!”

“Of course, you are, love,” Ron said. “You didn’t show up to Muggleborn Registration, now did you?” He patted Ginny on the shoulder and took Harry’s spot at the table, digging into the food left on Harry’s plate.

“Registration?” Harry asked. “What’re you--”

“They’re forcing all Muggleborns to register now,” said Ron. “The Ministry makes them come in and give a whole bunch of information. Ran into Dean this morning at the Leaky. He said he didn’t want to, but the girl he’s dating talked him into it. Said they asked him a whole load of questions about his family, who he spent his time with, who he’d gone to school with… All a bunch of nonsense but rather damning when you link everything together.”

“Why haven’t we seen anything in the paper about this?” Ginny demanded.

“Brand new,” Ron grumbled through a mouthful of toast. “Haven’t said much about it in the papers, but I’m betting they’ll have some stupid story to cover it all when they do. Magical genealogy or some such. At any rate, any Muggleborn who doesn’t comply is being called before the Wizengamot. Oh! And you’ll never guess who heads the Committee on Muggleborn Registration...Lucius Malfoy.”

Both Harry and Ginny growled at the name. Harry took her hand, pulling her to sit down next to him on the bench.

He’d been making more strides to try and not distance himself from her, even when he hadn’t meant to do so in the past. Simple things, like holding her hand, making sure they talked at the end of the day, and doing little things together, even if it was laundry or dishes.

“It doesn’t surprise me,” Harry said. “It’s not as if Draco learned how to be a prat from nothing.”

“What are you going to do, Ron?” Hermione asked as she sniffled. Her eyes were shiny with tears and Harry couldn’t blame her for being scared and upset.

“Move in here, I guess,” said Ron with a shrug, “if that’s alright with you.” He looked up to Harry, who shrugged.

“Sure. Sirius said he didn’t care who all lived here. And we’ve sort of been expecting that more people would need a safe place. The girls have rooms ready.”

“Have you told Mum and Dad?” Ginny asked.

“Yeah. That’s where I flooed from,” Ron said. “Mum’s steaming mad--not at me, but at the Ministry. I’ve no doubt they’ve already visited the Burrow, looking for me. I thought it was best if I wasn’t there.”

“Good thinking,” Harry said.

“I hope your parents are safe,” said Hermione.

But Ginny snorted out a laugh. “I pity any Ministry official that comes to arrest Ron and tries to bully my mother.”

Harry pictured it in his mind and had to smile. Mrs. Weasley was as fiery as her daughter and for just a moment, Harry wished that he could be present to witness such an exchange.

“Guess I’m done with my job, too,” Ron said, a hint of regret in his voice. “It was dead dull at times, but...when I was talking to others in the Alley, I think I was actually doing some good, like Moody said. Some of the vendors are starting to notice things that felt wrong. They don’t know why, yet, but when I would complain about the new Ministry regulations or point out things in The Daily Prophet that were off, they would agree and get this...look on their faces.” He trailed off and finished the last of Harry’s breakfast.

“And still they do nothing about it,” Harry said. “I think it may be time to think about breaking the charm,” he said after a quick look at Ginny. “I know it’s dangerous, but I think we’re getting to the point where--”

The sound of someone apparating into the entry hall stopped Harry’s words. He drew his wand again--as did Ginny--and stood.

It was Tonks who came down the stairs, with her scuffed combat boots and her Auror robes thrown on. Her hair was dull brown and pulled back away from her heart-shaped face. Harry noticed how thin she looked and the dark circles under her eyes.

“Figured this was where you’d come,” she said as she slumped onto the bench across from Ron. She gave a longing look to the cup of coffee that Hermione had in her hands and Ginny summoned another cup, pouring some from the carafe for her.

“Did they send you to arrest me?” Ron asked.

“Something along those lines,” she agreed. Reaching into her robe pockets, she pulled out two scrolls and tossed them onto the table. “Those are the summons to appear before the Muggleborn Committee. Surprised we’re actually still delivering them. I’d have figured by now they’d have given up all pretense and started snatching people from their homes.”

“How horrible,” Hermione muttered as she read one of the scrolls.

“D’you think they’ll put my face on one of those wanted posters now?”

Harry and Ginny snickered at Ron’s question as Hermione scowled.

“It’s not a joke, Ronald Weasley. This is serious.”

“Of course, it’s serious, Hermione,” he said, “but you have to admit that the whole Ministry is a joke right now.”

“He’s not wrong,” Tonks said. Her shoulders slumped lower and lower and she was almost wrapped around her cup, sipping at the hot coffee.

“I don’t find it funny in the least,” Hermione said. “They’re arresting people, Ron.”

“They’re doing more than that,” said Tonks. She let out a long sigh and finished her drink before pushing the cup away from her. “They are taking some people from their homes without warning. Amelia Bones has gone missing…” She trailed off and shook her head.

Harry opened his mouth to ask who that was, but Hermione answered before he could get the words out.

“Susan Bones’ aunt,” she said. “She was Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement and on the Wizengamot.”

“Was,” Tonks emphasized. “She was removed from the MLE a few months ago and her standing in the Wizengamot was questionable. She was generally fair and honest, but that might have been what got her in trouble. Rumor is that she was pushing back on some of these laws, beginning to see the cracks in the surface of the Ministry. I doubt we’ll ever find her.”

“You think she was killed?” Ginny asked.

“Fairly sure,” said Tonks. “Moody did a pretty thorough investigation after the Aurors had poked around a little.”

“I can’t believe they haven’t come for him, yet,” Ron said.

Tonks snorted and gave a dismissive wave. “He hasn’t told you? We staged his death more than a month ago. Did a right fine job. In fact, Fred and George were in on it, too.”

Harry rubbed his eyes under his glasses. “I suppose that makes it easier for him to move around in the shadows.”

“Much,” Tonks agreed.

“So, what exactly are the Aurors doing, nowadays, besides prowling Diagon Alley and botching investigations?” Ron asked.

Tonks gave a smirk that slipped away. “We’re busy covering up Voldemort’s crimes,” she said. A heavy silence descended in the room. “You wouldn’t believe some of the stuff I’ve seen. What I’ve had to do...”

Hermione reached out and clasped her hand over Tonks’ on the table. “Surely you don’t have to keep--”

“I do,” Tonks snapped. “We need a spy in the Aurors, one who can warn the Order when Voldemort is on the move or can get a warning to others that might save their lives. They’re already suspicious of me; I’m being watched. I had to deliver the summons to my own father.”

Ginny and Hermione gasped. Harry felt the bottom drop out of his stomach. They’d known that Tonks’ father was a Muggleborn, but Harry hadn’t thought it through enough to realize that he would be in danger. “Is he...did they…?”

“I was able to get a warning to him in enough time,” Tonks said. “He’s on the run.”

“He’s welcome to come here,” Harry said. “We’ve got room.”

“Thanks,” said Tonks, “but he’ll be okay. He’d rather be out there helping others. There are loads of Muggleborns who are evading the Ministry right now. The MLE has pulled in these people they’re calling Snatchers. They’re nothing more than glorified bounty hunters. They get paid per witch or wizard that they bring in and the Ministry turns a blind eye when they’re rough. I wouldn’t want to get caught by any of them.”

“Completely barbaric,” grumbled Hermione. “How can people not see what’s going on?!”

“They don’t want to,” Ginny suggested. “It’s easier to do nothing if you pretend that it’s all sunshine in the world.”

“Maybe,” Tonks said, “but I think people are beginning to break from this memory charm thing.”

Harry looked at Ginny and then cleared his throat. “It’s time to break it, then.”

“Can you?” Tonks asked. She was looking more and more tired, her eyelids heavy and her posture slumping.

“We’re going to figure that out.” Harry looked at Hermione. “You and Ron will be working with that problem. Ginny and I... We have a few other things to do first. And we need to figure out how to break into Gringotts.”

Tonks shot up in her spot. “Gringotts?! What’s in--”

“Nothing,” Ginny said. She summoned Tonks’ cup to her and then floated the rest of the breakfast dishes over to the sink. “You look absolutely smashed, Tonks. When was the last time you slept?”

Tonks narrowed her eyes at all of them, but then shook her head. “A couple of days ago.”

“Are you expected back at the Ministry right now?”

“No.”

“Then go up and crash in one of the bedrooms for a while.”

“I’m supposed to meet Remus--”

But Ginny got that Molly Weasley look in her eye and her hands came up to rest on her hips, cutting off Tonks’ words.

“Go.”

“Fine.” Tonks stood and turned to look at Harry. “You sure you know what you’re getting into with her, kid? She’s bossy.”

Ron guffawed and Harry smiled up at Ginny. “I tried warning him,” said Ron.

“I like it when she’s bossy,” Harry said, shutting everyone up.

Xxxxx

“I have no idea what it could be tied to, Harry,” Hermione said a few days later. She and Ron had traveled to Shell Cottage to pick Bill’s brain again about anchoring a memory charm in an object. They’d even tried it, charming a fountain pen to remove the memory of the conversation from Ron entirely. Even now, he was a little vague on the details.

“It has to be something big,” Harry said as he paced in the kitchen. The entire table was covered by stacks of books and research. While Ron and Hermione had been hard at work on the memory charm, Harry and Ginny had been scouring everything they could find for any mention of destroying a horcrux. Harry was just about to surrender his pride and make a trip to Hogwarts to ask Dumbledore’s portrait, as they’d found next to nothing.

“Not necessarily,” said Hermione.

“It has to be,” Ginny argued. “This isn’t one memory that they’re covering, Hermione, it’s loads--lifetimes’ worth--and it’s over the entire Wizarding World. I’d think that for the object to contain the sheer size of the spell, it would need to be something large.”

Hermione’s forehead creased as she contemplated that. “It’s possible, I suppose, although I still don’t see that it would be necessary.”

“If we did find this object,” Harry said, “will we be able to identify it? Is it even possible to break the spell?”

“Bill and I did it several times,” said Hermione with a rather guilty glance at Ron. Harry wondered how many things he’d forgotten recently as a part of their research. “Bill is working on spell mapping to try and break down whatever it is, but it will all depend on the size of the object, too. And if there are layers of spells. It’s brilliant, and very hard.”

Harry shook his head, overwhelmed by it all. He didn’t care to know the theory behind the magic, right now, only if they could break the spell or not.

“Can we narrow it down by figuring out when the spell was placed?” Ginny asked.

“Not easy to do,” said Ron, “since we’re all dealing with memories altered by the spell. Even the two of you are still missing things, right?”

“Right.”

“It might help us decide where the spell might be centered if we knew when it was cast,” said Hermione. “At the very least, it would give us a better understanding of the spell itself.”

“Then we need a timeline,” said Ginny. “We go back as far as we can with our memories, then start asking others.”

“That’s going to take forever,” grumbled Ron.

Ginny snapped at him. “You have something better to do?”

The two siblings glared at each other. There’d been more tension when Ron moved into Grimmauld Place and realized that Harry and Ginny were now sharing a bedroom. Ginny’d been the first to point out that Ron had eagerly moved into Hermione’s room without hearing a word from either Ginny or Harry about it. Since then, things had thawed, but at times they would argue and gripe at each other before letting it rest.

“We’ll start on a timeline,” said Hermione. “And then we can all brainstorm items that would work for anchoring the charm.”

“Sounds good.”

“Any luck on the horcrux?”

“None,” Ginny said as she shut a book violently. “Not a single word. And I don’t think this is the sort of thing we can take a bash at to see if it responds.”

All three of them looked at Harry and it was clear to him that they’d been secretly discussing his aversion to seeking help to destroy the horcrux.

“We’ll go to Hogwarts tomorrow,” he said finally.

“Great,” Ginny grumbled. “Dealing with Umbridge the Toad should be a pleasant way to spend the day. McGonagall said she’s taken over the entire school now. She was able to send me another round of books, but I got the feeling that it was a whole lot of work to do so.”

“Nothing for it,” Harry said. “We need the information.”

Xxxxx

It turned out that arriving at Hogwarts was nearly as daunting an idea as breaking into Gringotts was proving to be. After sending an owl, McGonagall’s silvery Patronus feline arrived in Grimmauld Place warning that they were going to be up against the might of the Ministry if they still intended to arrive at Hogwarts. They’d been vague in their request, expecting that Umbridge would be monitoring the mail.

But Professor McGonagall hadn’t denied them outright, so Harry determined that they were still going to go. Hermione fretted when Harry pointed out that neither she nor Ron could accompany them, as Umbridge would completely lose her mind if two wanted fugitives arrived at the door. Instead, she gave Ginny a list of books to requests, and grumbled that they’d better take good notes when talking to Dumbledore’s portrait so they didn’t miss any steps. Ginny’d opened her mouth to begin an argument, but Harry whisked her away before it could start.

“You didn’t have to do that,” Ginny said once they arrived on the muddy road outside the Hogwarts gates. “I can take care of myself.”

Harry pulled her to him, resting his hands on her hips. “I know very well how capable you are, Ginny, but I also know when to head Hermione off. You can’t let her get into her stride when she’s ready to argue. She was already annoyed about not being able to come. No need to rub it in.”

“She doesn’t need to be so bossy.”

Harry chuckled and kissed Ginny on the end of her nose. “You can be pretty bossy, yourself, love.”

“You like it when I’m bossy,” she cheekily shot back.

Harry’s eyebrow rose and he might have kissed her, but Hagrid arrived at the gate, his keys jingling.

“‘Lo, yeh two,” he said, “back again?”

“We can’t seem to stay away,” Ginny said as they both gave Hagrid hugs.

“As much as I miss yeh, it’s prob’ly better that yer not here this year.” He sighed and Harry noticed that his tangled black beard was grayer than the last time they’d visited. “Yeh’d have ended up in detention mosta the year, I suspect.”

Ginny smirked. “See, Harry, Hagrid knows to respect my skill as a witch.”

“Oh, I have nothing but respect for your skills, Ginny,” Harry said with a chuckle. “Believe me. But Hagrid and I both know a troublemaker when we see one.”

A grin that was reminiscent of the twins spread across Ginny’s face.

“If I’d been here this year,” she said, “detention would be the least of my worries, I assure you. I’d probably be facing Azkaban.”

A light drizzle began to fall as they walked up toward the castle. Harry looked up to see both Professor McGonagall and Dolores Umbridge standing in the open doors. The moment Hagrid saw the squat toad of a woman, his words died out and he excused himself, leaving Harry and Ginny to walk up the path themselves.

“No killing anyone,” Harry warned Ginny.

“Yes, dear.”

“Mr. Potter,” McGonagall greeted him. “Miss Weasley.”

“Headmistress,” they both replied back and then looked at Umbridge, who had cleared her throat in a most annoying manner.

“Hogwarts is not in the habit of receiving visitors,” she bit out. “This is twice that you’ve disrupted learning with your unnecessary appearances. I demand that you cease this behavior--”

“Dolores,” Professor McGonagall interrupted. “Miss Weasley has been preparing to take her N.E.W.T. level tests at the end of the year.”

Umbridge seemed to swell in place, the buttons on her lavender coat threatened to burst. “Preposterous! She is not a student here.”

“N.E.W.T.’s may be taken by any witch or wizard who provides the proper credentials and can prove they have prepared for them adequately, Madam Umbridge,” Ginny said. “I am in the process of preparing and obtaining those credentials. Headmistress McGonagall has been most helpful in my quest to complete my education.”

This was all news to Harry, but he tried not to look surprised and nodded.

“And what about him?” Umbridge asked as her piggy eyes settled on Harry. “Surely, you don’t need an escort every time you arrive. Does Mr. Potter have nothing better to do?”

“No, Madam Umbridge,” Harry said. “I do not.”

McGonagall’s lips pulled tight into some form of smile and she motioned for them to enter the castle. “Follow me to my office, Miss Weasley, Mr. Potter, and we will retrieve the paperwork that you need.”

Umbridge was seething, but there was nothing she could do other than watch them walk away. Harry could feel the daggers she was glaring at them sink into his back.

Rather than walk toward the Headmistress’s office, McGonagall turned another direction, toward her old offices.

“Professor…”

“Do you remember, Mr. Potter, when we had a discussion about how Hogwarts can change itself depending on the needs of those who teach and attend here?”

Harry remembered the conversation about the stairs to the office on one of his last visits. “Yes.”

“Not long ago, Madam Umbridge attempted to depose me as Headmistress of Hogwarts and take the office for herself. Unfortunately for her, the castle opposes that decision. The Headmistress’s office has been sealed up tight as a drum ever since. Not even I can get inside, I’m afraid.”

Harry’s shoulders fell as he realized that there would be no way to speak to the portrait. “Does Professor Dumbledore have other portraits, Headmistress?”

McGonagall’s eyes flicked to him, sharp and understanding. “I’m afraid not, Mr. Potter. Now, I’ll get the books that you requested, Miss Weasley.”

“I have another list, also, Professor,” said Ginny as she handed over Hermione’s scribbled titles.

McGonagall looked them over and nodded primly. “I will have these pulled for you and sent over as soon as I can.” She glanced around at the empty hallway and then leaned in toward both of them. “After today, visits to Hogwarts will be a thing of the past. No doubt an owl requesting an official decree is currently on its way to the Ministry.” She sighed and let them into her office.

They gathered the books and chatted for a few moments about Hogwarts before McGonagall urged them to be quick about leaving.

“No need to cause more trouble than I already have,” she said. “And, Miss Weasley, I do hope that you consider sitting for your N.E.W.T.’s. It is possible, as you said.”

“I can’t make any promises, Professor,” said Ginny, “but I’ll see what I can do.”

As they made their way down to the gates, Harry glanced back over his shoulder and saw Professor Snape standing in one of the large windows. His sallow face was pinched, but there was a thoughtful look in his expression as he watched them go.

Xxxxx

Harry was frustrated when they returned. The moment they popped back into Grimmauld Place, Hermione had begun badgering them about what they’d learned and how they were to go about destroying the horcrux.

Ginny jumped into the fray, raising her voice against anything Hermione said, which had set Ron off, defending his girlfriend’s honor. Harry already had a headache and was brooding over the fact that he was no closer to destroying the damned locket that he wore around his neck than before they’d left. All avenues that he could think of were now closed.

The more they yelled at each other, the more his head pounded.

“Stop,” he pleaded and pressed his fingers into his eyes. But nobody heard him, and he had to repeat it until he felt like he was yelling. They all blinked at him and Harry realized he must have been yelling.

“Harry--”

“I can’t take this anymore,” he said. “All the arguing and fighting. Just...work things out, please. There’s enough conflict out there; we don’t need it in here, too.”

He walked out, up the stairs, and toward the bedroom, where maybe he could get a little peace. The weight of the locket tugged at his neck and he realized that the chain had rubbed a raw spot near his shoulder. He pulled it off and set it on the bedside table before collapsing into bed.

He could no longer hear them talking downstairs, but rather than helping, the silence allowed Harry to focus on the pain behind his eyes. He removed his glasses, setting them next to the locket, and let his eyes close as he concentrated on breathing through the pain. This felt unlike any other headache he’d had before, and he wondered if it was all the stress of the past few weeks pressing down on him. Or could the horcrux itself be affecting him?

It was an idea he hadn’t thought of before and he reached out, snatching the chain from the table and dangling it not far from his face so he could see the detail there. The S looked like a silvery serpent, swirling through the small windows on the frame.

It was quite gaudy when he thought about it. The locket was large and ostentatious. No wonder it had drawn Voldemort’s attention.

Harry’s head seemed to clear a little and he focused on the snake, remembering how snake-like Voldemort had looked in that dream. He’d been hissing, speaking to his snake and, somehow, Harry’d understood every word. Was it only in the dream?

He thought back now, remembering the high voice, the way the monster had been caressing the scaly skin of Nagini. Harry repeated the words he could remember hearing.

“Nagini,” he slurred. But it didn’t sound the same. He focused on the word and stared at the snaky S on the locket. “Nagini,” he said. It came out as a low hissing sound. The locket in his hand jumped and Harry sat up, clutching the thing and blinking with wide eyes.

Carefully, he set it on a chair that was in the center of the room, replaced his glasses, and stared at it. His heart pounded and his palms grew sweaty.

“Nagini,” he said again. There was no mistaking the jump that the locket made now.

He was about to try it again when Ginny opened the door to the bedroom. Harry blinked at her and then down at the locket, trying to find the words to tell her what he’d done.

“We’re sorry, Harry,” she said as she closed the door and leaned against it. “It’s the stress getting to everyone. We’re stuck here in this place, and neither Ron nor Hermione can leave anymore--”

“I can speak snake,” Harry said.

Ginny blinked at him. “What?”

“I just tried it. I remembered from my dream, when I was the snake, and...and he was talking to the snake. When I tried it, the locket jumped.” Harry pointed to the horcrux that sat alone on the wooden chair.

Ginny took a step forward and peered at it. “Parsletongue?”

“What does that mean?”

“Snake language,” Ginny said. “It’s...it’s rumored that Salazar Slytherin was one.”

Harry swallowed and nodded. “I didn’t know before now. And maybe it’s just the word I’m remembering.”

Ginny came to sit on the edge of the bed next to him. “Say something, then.”

“Like what?”

“Anything.”

Harry thought about it and tried to say her name, but Ginny shook her head. “In English,” she said.

He closed his eyes and pictured the snake again. It was a whisper, but Ginny’s name crossed his lips and she startled.

“Did it work?”

“Was that…?”

“Your name.” Harry wondered what she was thinking. Her face was a mask right now as she looked between him and the locket.

“D’you think that’s how we destroy it?”

“No,” Harry said, more out of a guess than anything, but it felt right. “I think we need another way, but maybe that’s how we open it.”

They both turned to look at the locket. “I wish we knew how to do it.”

“I wish we had help,” Harry said, feeling the return of his headache. He stood and pressed his hands on the side of his head. “Why wouldn’t Dumbledore tell us? Why does it always have to be so hard? If I’m supposed to be this important person who can kill Voldemort, why don’t I already know?”

“Doing the right thing is rarely easy,” said Ginny. “That’s why we’re where we’re at, right? I mean, if we took the easy route, we’d be out there living our lives, never knowing how bad things are.”

Harry looked at her. “Do you think we’d have figured things out? Between us, I mean.”

Ginny smirked. “Have we figured them out now?”

He conceded the point with a tilt of his head and turned back to look at the locket. “Dumbledore told us that he’d give us help when we needed it,” he said, “but no help is coming.’

“Maybe he meant that we needed to find help?” Ginny asked. “We haven’t asked Bill.”

The thought of talking to Bill about this made Harry uncomfortable and he couldn’t say exactly why. But somehow it felt like a puzzle that he needed to figure out himself.

“Maybe that’s the point,” Ginny said as she stood and came to be with Harry. “We need to ask.

It was like a lumos charm in his brain and Harry blinked at her. “You mean…”

“Ask, Harry.”

He swallowed past a dry throat. “Erm, we need some help.” The words sounded stupid as they passed over his chapped lips and seemed to float in the room.

Nothing happened.

He turned his head to look at Ginny, one eyebrow raising, but she was staring out into the room, a strange look on her face.

“Ask again.”

Harry felt stupid, but he wiped his hands on his trousers and cleared his throat. “We need help to destroy this horcrux,” he said. “We don’t know how and--”

A burst of flame and song erupted into the room as Fawkes came to them. Harry felt a wave of hope and warmth fill him from head to toe.

Fawkes let out a long trill and Harry saw he was clutching an old linen bag that was dirty and worn from age. Out of the top of the bag stuck the glittering hilt of the Sword of Gryffindor.

“You brilliant bird,” Harry murmured.

The phoenix hovered in the air for a moment before sort of tossing the bag in Harry’s direction. He caught it and stared as the bird flamed out of existence. When Harry looked at Ginny, she was beaming at him.

“See?” she said. “You need to learn to have a little faith.”

Harry snorted and reached in to pull the sword from the bag. It was just as he remembered, only more brilliant than ever. In the low light of the bedroom, it seemed to almost glow with silver and gold glory.

“Harry let’s destroy it,” Ginny said.

The both looked at the locket, which seemed to be trembling on the surface of the chair, skittering along the wood.

“It’s reacting to the sword,” Harry said. “This is it. This is how we destroy it.”

He felt the weight of the moment as the sword seemed to shine even more in his hands. But then a thought entered his head. He looked up at Ginny, her eyes bright as she stared at the locket.

“You do it.”

“Me?”

“Yeah.” Harry handed over the sword, knowing immediately that it should be Ginny who did it. “I did the diary. You need to do this one.”

“I’m not sure if I can.”

“Weren’t you telling me today to respect your skills as a witch?”

A sort of determined look overcame her face and Ginny nodded once, positioning the sword near the locket, with the tip pointed down at it. “Open it.”

Harry fell to his knees next to the chair. “Try not to take me out in the process, love.” His joke fell flat, and Harry reached for the locket, holding it in place. He focused on the serpent S and tried to recall the low hissing sound needed.

“Open,” he said.

The locket sprang open and Harry blinked at the red eyes looking back at him.

“Stab it, Ginny,” he said. He couldn’t seem to look away from the eyes, but he could see the trembling tip of the sword in his peripheral vision, held there by Ginny.

A voice seemed to emit from the locket, and it made Harry shiver.

“I have seen your heart, Ginny Weasley, and it is mine.”

“Don’t listen, Ginny!” Harry commanded.

“Silly little girl. Little, crazy girl who nobody believes.”

“Ginny,” Harry warned. “Stab it now.”

“How could Harry Potter love someone like you?”

The locket quivered as Harry held it down and he stared into those red eyes, dreading what might happen next if it wasn’t destroyed. Could the bit of soul actually come out and possess one of them?

“He does love me,” Ginny responded. The sword quivered in her hands and she raised it, dashing it down into the locket. The clang of metal echoed in the room and Harry watched as the chair cleaved in two, dropping the locket to the floor. A piercing scream erupted, and Harry clapped his hands over his ears. Ginny dropped the sword to her side and stared down at the dead locket, her chest heaving.

“You love me.”

“Of course, I do,” Harry responded. He wasn’t sure what to do but stare at the locket.

“Lying bastard,” Ginny said to the horcrux.

Harry reached for the locket, seeing that Ginny had broken both pieces of glass. A slow wisp of smoke emitted from it.

“Is it gone?”

Harry lifted it into his hand. It was no longer cold. He hissed at it, commanding it to open, but the locket did not respond to the word. “It’s gone.”

The door burst open, Hermione and Ron were there, wands stretched out in front of them.

“What the hell happened?” Ron asked.

Ginny held up the sword, but it was heavy enough that her arms trembled. “We destroyed the horcrux.”

Both Ron and Hermione blinked at them as they took in the scene. Harry was still on the floor, kneeling next to the broken chair, the locket clutched in his hand.

A slow smile spread over Harry’s face. “Ginny destroyed it.”

“Where’d the sword come from?”

“Long story.” Harry sighed and began to stand. The headache was gone, he realized as he slipped the broken locket into his pocket. “Talk about it tomorrow?”

“You’re really alright?” Hermione asked.

The sword clanged to the floor as Ginny’s arm gave way. Harry watched her, worried that she might collapse, but she seemed to steady herself and gave a nod.

“We’re alright.”

Harry looked at Ginny and took a step toward her. Their eyes met and Harry wondered if she’d ever been more beautiful to him. She’d done it. She’d faced her fears and destroyed Voldemort's power over her. He reached out and twisted his fingers into hers.

Hermione was speaking behind him, but Harry didn’t care. He stepped over the sword and pulled Ginny to him, leaning down to press his lips to hers.

“We’ll talk more later,” he heard Ron say, but Harry didn’t care as Ginny was kissing him back as eagerly. Her hands clutched at him, lifting his jumper as they backed toward the bed. Harry lay down, resting his weight on top of Ginny and welcoming her embrace.

“You love me.”

“I do.”

With one last glance at the door to make sure they didn’t have an audience, Harry lowered to kiss her once more.
Reviews 173
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear