Search:

SIYE Time:19:05 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Memories & The Secret of Hogwarts
By Ruth Ann

- Text Size +

Category: Pre-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure, Comedy, Drama, Humor, Romance
Warnings: Death, Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations
Rating: G
Reviews: 21
Summary: Harry Potter begins his second year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The dreams continue for Harry this time with his newest friend lying cold on the stone floor and the iniquitous voice saying "Speak to me Slytherin, greatest of the Hogwarts four."




Hitcount: Story Total: 10894; Chapter Total: 840







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Memories & the Secrets of Hogwarts

Chapter 6 – Professor Gilderoy Lockhart

September 2, 1992

Harry tried his best to enjoy lunch as much as possible. He was a bit concerned about what Defense was going to have in store for them. Harry wasn’t looking forward to having to sit through a two-hour lesson with Lockhart. Especially after the run-in, they had earlier on his way to Herbology.

Hermione sat next to Ron across from Harry and Neville. She had all of the Defense course books in front of her reading through them when she should have been eating. They had been there for a few minutes when Ginny & Luna joined them.

“How were your classes?” Harry asked as Ginny sat down next to him.

Ginny gave him a sideways glance; he could tell she didn’t want to answer that.

“We had double Defense this morning.” Luna said from her seat next to Neville. “Lockhart gave us a test.”

Both Harry and Neville looked at the girl expecting to say something more.

“It was ridiculous.” Ginny muttered. “the questions on that paper made no sense. I’m not sure what the man is supposed to teach us.”

“We should be thankful to have such a knowledgeable Professor available this year.” Hermione who had apparently been listening as she read ‘Wandering with Werewolves.’ Both Ginny and Luna looked at Hermione like she was batty.

“Professor Lockhart is about as knowledgeable as a flobberworm,” Ginny whispered in Harry’s ear. Harry’s cheeks reddened and let out a small chuckle.

“Don’t worry Hermione I’m sure you will find Professor Lockhart’s lesson effervescent,” Luna said dreamily.

Hermione huffed and closed her books. She stood up and said, “I don’t know why you first years don’t find someone your own age to sit with.” After that Hermione grabbed Ron by the arm and motioned for Harry and Neville to follow as she dragged Ron away from the table and out of the Great Hall.

Neither Luna nor Ginny said anything. Both were doing their best to keep the tears at bay. Harry reached his arm around Ginny and pulled her close. “Don’t concern yourself with what Hermione said. You and Luna are welcome to sit with us during meals and in the common areas. Both Neville and I feel this way. Right, Neville?”

Neville nodded his head and wrapped his arm around Luna. “You guys are welcome to hang with us at any time. Let us deal with Hermione.”

“Yeah Gin,” Harry said. “You are wonderful and I’m sure Luna is as well.”

When Ginny and Luna were done with lunch Harry and Neville decided to walk them to their next class. After dropping Ginny and Luna off at their Charms class they headed to Defense. Harry and Neville walked into the classroom. Neville was going to go and join Hermione and Ron at the front of the class when Harry pulled him towards the back. After sitting down Harry made a show of pulling out all of his course books trying to build a shield between himself and the rest of the classroom. Neville gave a small laugh as he handed Harry a few books to help.

They were only there for a few minutes when Professor Lockhart walked into the room. He turned and faced the class, giving a brilliant white smile. He picked up Hermione’s copy of Travels with Trolls and held it up for the class. “Me,” he said. “Order of Merlin, Third Class, honorary member of the Dark Force Defense League, and five-time winner of Witch Weekly’s most charming smile, but we don’t talk about that. I didn’t get where I am by smiling.” He waited for the class to laugh at his humorless joke. A few people gave small smiles but for the most part, the class just started.

“I’m Gilderoy Lockhart and I am your new Defense Against the Dark Arks Professor. Since everyone brought their books, let’s start with a little pop quiz.” Lockhart said before he passed out some tests. “You have 30 minutes. Starting now.”

Everyone flipped the test over to start. For some reason when Harry saw the questions on the test, he wasn’t surprised. He should have been because instead of questions relating to the actual subject Lockhart was being paid to teach all the questions were relating to Lockhart himself. For example, the very first question on the test was, ‘What is Gilroy Lockhart’s favorite color?’

Harry wasn’t sure what to make of the test. Harry didn’t really know any of the answers because he didn’t actually buy any of Lockhart’s books. He looked over at Neville who looked just as confused as Harry did.

Time passed slowly as Harry and the rest of the class did their best to answer the most ridiculous test questions any of them had ever seen. Soon enough Lockhart called the class to hard in their test.

Lockhart took a few minutes to review the test papers. Both Harry and Neville didn’t bother to put their names on the test as neither knew any of the answers and had stared at the test papers for most of the time. Harry sighed and rolled his eyes when Lockhart reached Hermione’s paper. He seemed to be busy stroking her ego as he gave her points for knowing when his birthday was.

After Lockhart was done reviewing the test papers, he stood at the front of the classroom with his hand resting on top of a covered cage.

“What I am about to reveal is something so terrifying, you may want to scream. I ask you not to and it might agitate them and could cause them to attack. You must not fear, as I am here and nothing shall befall you as long as I am around.” Lockhart said, calling attention to the class.

“Freshly caught Cornish Pixies,” Lockhart said dramatically, and then that he whipped the cover off the cage and revealed the impish creatures. Harry knew that the pixies were more mischievous than actually dangerous, at least with proper adult supervision. Unfortunately, Harry wasn’t sure if he would call Lockhart proper adult supervision.

One of Harry’s dormmates, Seamus Finnigan snorted when he saw the pixies. Lockhart didn’t seem to appreciate the amusement much and called Seamus out in a seemingly friendly way. “Yes?”

Seamus responded that the pixies weren’t exactly what he would call dangerous.

“You don’t think so?” Lockhart asked and many of the class nodded in agreement. “I wouldn’t be so sure if I was you. These seemingly small insignificant creatures can be devilish and tricky little blighters. So, let's see what you can do.”

Harry quickly grabbed Neville by the collar and pulled him under the desks as Lockhart released the pixies from the cage.

Within seconds the classroom was thrown into chaos and many of the students joined Harry and Neville in taking cover underneath desks. The pixies were all over the room. Some zoomed right through the window breaking the glass, while others tore books apart and tried to attack the students.

Lockhart tried to get the class's attention, but he wasn’t having much luck. “Come on everyone,” Lockhart called. “Round them up, they are only pixies.” When no one tried to ‘round’ them up, Lockhart rolled up his sleeves and said what Harry could only assume was some made-up spell because it had absolutely no effect that one of the pixies grabbed Lockhart’s wand and tossed it out the window.

Lockhart seemed stunned for a moment or two before he joined the rest of the class under the desks. Everyone sighed in relief when the bell rang and the class ran for the door.

Harry and Neville let most of the students clear out as they waited for Ron and Hermione to reach the door. Right as they were going to leave the room Lockhart pushed past them. “I’ll just let you four get the rest of them back into their cage,” Lockhart said as he shut the door effectively cutting them off from leaving.

“Can you believe him?” Ron asked outraged.

Hermione quickly immobilized two pixies and said, “He just wants us to get some hands-on experience.”

“Sure,” Harry mumbled under his breath as he froze six pixies.

Neville nodded in agreement and tried to freeze a pixie of his own. It didn’t work out too well and Harry took a moment to show Neville the spell so they could work faster. “Hermione, I don’t know what rubbish you are thinking but Lockhart had no clue what he was doing,” Ron said irritated.

“It’s not rubbish,” Hermione said. “I’ve read his books and he has done all these amazing things.”

Harry glanced over at Neville and whispered, “he says he’s done.”

It took Harry and his friends a good hour to round up the pixies. Later that night Harry sat in the common room with Neville, Ginny, and Luna. He had just finished his homework and was helping the girls finish up their work before bed. The girls had asked the boys how their class was and the boys spent the rest of the time chatting about their day.

Reviews 21
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear