Search:

SIYE Time:3:01 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Aether Continuum Part 1
By Zaphren

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, Harry/Ginny, Other
Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance
Warnings: Death, Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 53
Summary: Two mysterious beings that claim to be Nephalem send Harry's soul back in time to fix the mistakes of the powerful and save his world from more than just Voldemort. This is a change in the Time Travel trope where Harry originally never went to Hogwarts, where events spiraled out of control and Voldemort had risen with the Philosophers Stone and Diary Riddle forced another side to the conflict.
Hitcount: Story Total: 52034; Chapter Total: 1157







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Year 2 Chapter 9: The Woman in White



“I have learned that Ikelius has two reasons for why he visits certain worlds. One has to deal with a specified person or persons. The other is for something. He calls it a ‘she’, but after Lars informed me, ‘It’ is a more apt description.”

From the Journal of Kesh’rak, Chapter 2; Page 23


************************************** **************************************** **********************

Harry hadn’t dropped far, but what he landed on was at such a slant and was coated in some slime that caused him to slide downward. He attempted to pull his wand out, but the ‘slide’ abruptly changed course, flinging him to the side. When his body was once again allowed to follow gravities natural course, he abandoned any thoughts of pulling his wand out. Instead he closed his eyes, tucked his elbows and hoped that his decent didn’t finish at an abrupt end.

After a few more turns, the pipe leveled out followed by the metal beneath him disappearing entirely. His eyes flashed open just as his rear bounced, then skid across the the slick floor. As he came to a stop, he could hear Ron’s screaming voice. As he attempted to gather his bearings, he looked around in the dim light that appeared to have no source. A sudden curse from Ron cause Harry to look at the pipe he’d shot out of, barely seeing the outline of his friend as it reached the part that leveled out. Cursing to himself, Harry rolled out of the way.

After Ron had come to a stop, the boy lay there, staring up at the ceiling with wide eyes and pale face. “Bloody hell, if we never do that again it’ll be too soon.” Harry chuckled as he shook his head. A passageway out that he hadn’t seen at first now drew his eye and the small smile that had been on his face slid off. Nodding toward it, Harry reached a hand out to pull his friend up.

“No point sitting around. Let’s go.” The redhead gulped, but nodded as he accepted Harry’s hand and allowed himself to be pulled up. After patting Ron on the back, the bespectacled boy took the lead, his wand at the ready in case of attack. “Any movement, and you close your eyes. Make eye contact with a Basilisk and it will kill you.”

Ron was quiet for a moment before his whisper nearly caused Harry to jump. “How come no one has died then?”

He took a moment to let his heart settle before he answered. He relayed the scorch marks he’d found on the suit of armour for Mrs. Norris and the hand mirror used by Hermione and Luna, the smoke-like substance that had appeared in Nearly-Headless Nick, who appeared to be the only of those attacked who had seen the creature head on but as he was already dead could not do so again.

Ron looked thoughtful for a moment, but then his eyes scrunched together in thought. “But how’d Ginny get pulled into this?” Harry didn’t answer, he just continued forward wand, light beaming forward unwavering into the gloom. “Harry?”

“I don’t know, Ron.” Harry lied. Before the redhead could say anymore, the boy in front halted and held up a hand. At the edge of the light lay a massive mound of… something. “Stay here.” The bespectacled boy whispered, before crouching and slowly edging his way toward whatever lay ahead of them.

Ron watched with bated breath as Harry neared within a meter. The boy stopped suddenly, where he breathed out sharply, shaking his head as he stood up. “It’s alright, just shed skin from the Basilisk.”

Ron’s eyes bulged at the words. “Bloody hell… that’s… it’s...”

“Yeah, actually seeing the size puts it into perspective, eh?” Harry motioned for them to continue walking. “Mind, the beasts going to be bigger now.” A whimper from his friend caused an emotionless grimace to cross Harry’s face.

It wasn’t long after that the passage opened up into a massive room lit just brightly enough to see across. A massive statue of an ancient wizard covered the opposite wall, statues of wizards, wands held by both hands at the chest pointed downward, and pillars lined the walls around the room. At the giant’s feet, Harry could only assume it was an image of Salazar Slytherin, lay Ginny. She seemed to have curled in on herself, holding her stomach as if it were in pain.

Ron made to dash forward when Harry caught him, pulling him back against the wall and whispered in a hiss. “It’s a trap, remember your promise.” Harry looked around into the room, trying to think fast when all he wanted to do was pull Ginny out and get her and Ron out of there. “I need you to wait here, don’t enter unless I call, I’ll try to draw out Riddle or the Basilisk, possibly both and get their attention.” He hesitated, unsure of this next part. He didn’t want to risk his friends, not before they were ready but the circumstances almost seemed to be pushing them to be involved. He doubted he’d have the time for Dumbledore to arrive, and there had been a feeling in his gut that he wouldn’t be able to do this alone. For now, his untrained friend would have to do.

“When it looks like I have... Whoever is in there's attention, I need you to get Ginny out. Don’t try to help out in any other way.” He pleaded. At first, it looked as though Ron would argue, but there must have been something in Harry’s eyes that convinced him, for his face softened and he nodded. “Right, good luck mate.” Patting his friend on the arm, Harry entered into the Chamber.

As he walked straight to Ginny, her normal ivory skin appearing as a more sickly pale, trying to prevent his hand from trembling he felt as though a presence pressed against his very being. There was no words spoken, but he had the strangest feeling that something had offered something before it retreated. He shook his head and was surprised to find himself stepping next to Ginny’s prone body. He put the presence he felt out of his mind, feeling it was possibly the Chamber itself trying to mess with his mind. Harry knelt next to her reaching to place two fingers on her throat. The next moment felt an eternity before, ever so softly, he felt her heart pump and her life continued to move onward in existence. But it was a weak heartbeat, and breathing out heavily, Harry straightened. His eyes fell on a diary, laying mere inches from her hands.

By instinct, he felt something to his left, causing him to twist and cast a stunner. It soared directly at a figure that he must have missed when entering, but instead of stopping at the man, the spell passed through until struck the wall behind him.

A look of surprise lay upon the handsome face of Tom Riddle, standing as he did when he was sixteen years old, prefect and soon to be Head Boy. The two watched each other for a moment before the teenage Voldemort burst into a cold, almost meticulous cry of laughter. “Potter, I’d have thought knowing who I was you’d have gone for the kill.” When Harry didn’t answer, he continued. “Of course, it would have had the same effect as your stunner. I, unfortunately am not quite… whole.” Riddle’s eyes moved to Ginny, shining with a look of pure lust. Not a sexual lust, at least Harry hoped not, but… something else.

“Let her go.” Riddle again laughed, softer this time, and as he did so he paced to the side. When he stepped, there was no sound, and Harry also noticed that the light from his wand cast no shadow behind his foe. “I’m warning you, Riddle.”

“Or what? You’ll try to blast me? You cannot harm me, Potter, not yet. In the meantime, let us chat.” Riddle said, a smug look on his face.

“There’s plenty of spells that affect ghosts.”

“Bah, ghosts are merely an imprint of a soul left behind due to their weakness, and none would affect me for I am no ghost.” He looked angry as he said it, but it was replaced by a charming smile, but his eyes held only hunger. “You have secret’s Harry, and so do I. What say you to making a trade?”

Harry chanced a glance at Ginny, and in the short time Riddle had been talking, her skin seemed to be growing paler. Riddle himself, now that Harry was looking very closely at him, seemed to be slightly transparent, but growing more solid with each passing moment. “What have you done to Ginny?”

“Ah ah, manners. I’ve already given you a secret, now it’s my turn to receive.” He appeared to think for a moment, grinning evilly as Harry fidgeted. “You promised little Miss Weasley that you would tell her something this summer. Perhaps you could tell me before her?”

Harry stared at Riddle for a moment, he knew the man was trying to buy time, something he couldn’t allow, for Ginny’s life depended on it. It was then he heard a grinding noise from behind him, followed by a shout from Ron just outside the Chamber.

The entrance had sealed itself, and judging by the noise, it had sealed quickly. Harry snarled as he turned back to Riddle, who now had a smug look upon his face and a wand twirling in his hand. Ginny’s wand.

“Fuck off, Riddle.” He said with pure venom. He pointed his wand, not at the specter before him, but at the diary. He cast a severing charm, and watched as the smile left his foes face. Chancing a glance at the book, he noted his spell hadn’t even scratched it. He knew of only one thing that could do what he was witnessing, and his body filled with a cold dread.

“Again, you speak to me with such familiarity.” Riddle was watching him, pure curiosity glowing from his eyes. “You are an enigma, Harry Potter. One I wish to test.” He turned to the giant statue, and when he spoke next his voice seemed to be dripping in pure venom. “Speak to me Slytherin, Greatest of the Hogwarts Four…”

Again, a grinding sound filled the Chamber, only this time from the statue that Riddle faces. The mouth of the statue of Slytherin was opening, and if Harry’s instincts were correct, the Basilisk was waiting within. He moved over to Ginny, gaining hold at the base of one of her arms and began to pull her towards one of the walls. Grunting from the effort, he heard Riddle speaking again but he dismissed the words, and he chanced a glance over while keeping his eyes pointed at the floor. He could see the massive snake, uncoiling itself as its master commanded it. Behind Riddle, Harry thought he saw a flicker light, but shrugged it off as a figment of his imagination.

Harry was able to move Ginny’s unconscious body behind on of the pillars when the snake struck, slamming into the same pillar. As cracks snaked their way up and down the column of stone, and Harry felt once more for a pulse from her, which were even weaker than before, before creating a protective bubble around the young redhead. Taking a deep breath, he shot out from behind casting two quick severing charms in the general direction of the snake. The creature hissed as the spells cracked against its hide, but Harry doubted they had done any real damage. However, he knew he needed to get the beast away from Ginny before he could try to deal with it.

He popped his head out, keeping his eyes down low, and retreated back. The snake hissed in frustration as Harry closed his eyes to register what he’d seen. Riddle was still standing where he had been, gloating over what he supposed would be Harry’s death. Opening his eyes, Harry faced the wall with his back to the pillar, and once again he breathed in before sprinting to the next pillar, sending a blasting hex towards the snake. His hex missed, but caused the snake to hesitate long enough in attack for him to reach his destination. Harry continued this for the next few pillars until he’d reached a corner.

“Stop playing with him, strike as soon as he runs!” Riddle bellowed at the Basilisk, a hint of frustration in his voice. Harry glanced back the way he’d come, Ginny was still protected by the shield he’d placed on her, but she looked even more pale than she had when he’d left her. Biting his lip, he began considering his next action when movement against the wall caught his attention. It was the shadow of the snake, and it looked to be growing as it edged closer. It wasn’t long when, to his right, the nostril of the Basilisk edged around the corner, its tongue flicking out to smell. Before he could think, the presence from before overcame him like the sound of rushing water, so strong that he felt the pressure behind his eyes, and he closed them feeling they’d pop out otherwise. He felt his hand rise up on its own, his feet spreading for balance and his chest filled slowly with breath.

The snake hissed once more, sounding as if it were distant. Harry felt his hand close around something and his body lunged forward. There was a moment where he thought nothing had happened, but it was quickly followed by slight resistance against his thrust. His lunge continued until there was a squishing noise, and the the object was yanked from his hand upward and… was that the creature shrieking? It was so jarring and unexpected that Harry opened his eyes, missing the feeling of the presence had fled once more, and found himself looking directly at the creatures face as it shook its head. Embedded into its eyes was… a sword. Harry could see the hilt sticking into the left eye, and about half a foot of the blade sticking out the other eye. He looked down at his hands, finding his wand to be in his left having no clue when he’d placed it there. He shook his head, what was he doing. The snake was vulnerable now, it couldn’t kill him with his eyes, though its bite was still just as deadly. Riddle cried out angrily, but Harry ignored it.

He held up his right hand once more and instinctively summoned the blade, using his wand would be nearly pointless against the creatures resistance hide. In a puff of mist, the sword vanished before once more appearing and falling into his grasp. He was now able to look at the full blade, clean even though it had just been inside the snakes head. The length, he judged, had to be nearly five feet, double-edged and nearly three inches thick, yet the blade felt weightless in his hand. In the center, etched into the blade, was a lightning bolt nearly a foot long, and it looked just like the scar on his head.

“What the hell?”

Riddle screamed at the snake once again, and Harry looked up. The Basilisk, no longer adorning a sword, had honed in on him and Harry recognized the tensing of a snake about the strike. With the specter of the Teenage Voldemort to his left, Harry dodged to the right as the creature struck. Its head passed him, crashing into the wall and before it could retract from its attack, Harry swung the blade down at the base of its head.

He was almost expecting the blade to bounce off the creatures hide, but it sunk in with just as much resistance as the stab to its eye, slicing through the neck and striking the stone floor. The snake flopped blood spraying from its severed body and coating everything around it, including Harry, in its blood. But Harry had hardly noticed, as he ran down half of the snake’s body until he reached a part he could vault over. As he did, he heard Riddle shout once more, except this time it sounded like the blasting hex. Harry looked at the specter, saw the spell soaring straight at him before it struck his chest.

Pain filled every sense as his momentum was suddenly stopped and he was knocked back into the dead body of the Basilisk. He tried to continue forward, but his body refused to obey and he slumped down onto his behind, back leaning against the beast. He locked eyes with Riddle, who was hunched over as if he’d just run a marathon, wand pointed at Harry.

Harry’s gurgled as he tried to breathe, he looked down to find the robes around his torso torn, his chest blasted open revealing half of his ribcage missing and a gaping hole in one of his lungs. If that spell had been cast with Riddle’s full power, Harry’s body would already decorate half the room.

“That… was everything... I struck… early.” Riddle spoke, breathing heavily. “You forced… my hand, Potter.” He took a step closer, and to Harry, he looked almost solid. Closing his eyes, Harry began to accept that, maybe this was the end for him, but he would save Ginny first. He flicked his wand summoning the Diary from where it had lain forgotten, opening his eyes, and with the last of his strength, held the sword between himself and the book, where it stabbed itself in its haste to follow Harry’s command. He could barely make out Riddle as the man screamed and writhed before his ghostly form shattered into dust.

Laying his head back he felt, for the first time in his life, physical, bone deep exhaustion. This was how he’d die, like he should have the last time he’d fought Riddle. When he’d… when she’d…

His thoughts escaped him.

************************************** **************************************** **********************

A figure stepped out from behind the pillar near where Harry had thought he’d seen a flicker of light earlier. She knew he’d seen it, she’d done so on purpose. She also had wanted to rush out to help him, but fragment of Tom Riddle’s soul would know her for what she was, and she’d be defenseless against him. Luckily, she had spent millennia avoiding beings that were greater than the despicable man would ever even think to be.

Her appearance was never the same, it depended on the most powerful individual that was near. Unfortunately, there was currently someone nearby whose identity was… unique, therefore hers was a mixture of two women. He didn’t know it, but he had received a hint to its true nature. As of now, she resembled a nearly eight feet, stately woman with lightly tanned skin covered in a long flowing white gown that reached her calves. Her ears were pointed, like that of the Nephalem but moreso, and her pupils were catlike. Her eye colour was a vibrant green, much like that of the poor child she neared, and her hair, long and flowing behind her, was a deep auburn.

She knelt next to young Harry Potter, his eyes had flickered as she had knelt but they held no thought and the sword in his right hand vanished into mist. ‘You poor child,’ she thought, placing a hand onto the flesh of his wounded chest. She breathed in, a glow radiating from within her before flowing down her arm and into the chest of the boy. Interestingly, her magic avoided the scar on his forehead, and when she looked closer, she saw the two separate souls battling for control. ‘Oh, Ikelius… what have you done.’ she thought to herself.

Slowly, she watched as the hole in his chest healed, shortly followed by a soft gasp and he weakly coughed. “Shhh,” her voice soft like a mother quieting her babe. Next, his ribcage slowly formed, and she heard movement on the other side of the massive snake. A short moment later the pale, freckled face of a young girl with striking red hair peeked from around the snake.

“H-hello?” her voice was quiet, but once she noticed Harry’s bloody front, she gasped. “Harry! No, no no no, what have I done!” She broke down into sobs, her legs failing to continue supporting her. Grimacing, the woman removed her hand from the still healing body of Harry and moved next to weeping child. She glowed once more, placing her hand on the top of Ginny’s, whose sobs stopped and looked up with eyes still filled with tears.

“Shhh, Ginevra. Your tears serve no one right now, and your guilt is misplaced, child.” She reached for the girl’s hand, who grabbed them without thought and stood. “Come, sit with me. He will live, his soul clung to him as it feared leaving you behind.” The two moved back to Harry, and she placed her hand yet again upon the boy, the glow from her once more streaming into him.

Ginny sat next to her, silent aside from a sniffle here and there. She watched the young girl closely, noting the hollowness of the child’s eyes. She nearly began to give herself to heal the damage inflicted on Ginny’s shredded soul, but a shift in the universe around her gave her pause and a slight frown formed. That man, would he ever believe that he didn’t have to meddle in the lives of his… but what was this? She felt… herself? Yes, it was but… different. She focused her concentration on the boy. She’d need to finish this and leave. After all, his younger version was around and she couldn’t let him get her. Not yet.

************************************** **************************************** **********************

Ginny watched as Harry’s chest reknit itself, the woman beside her glowing. She said nothing, she couldn’t, and whatever this… beautiful lady had done to calm her was beginning to dissipate. She didn’t feel like her ‘guilt was misplaced’, and this… this wound done to Harry was her fault. She’d allowed Tom to control her, to bring her down here numerous times and hurt her friends. She’d allowed Tom to…

The woman stopped glowing, Harry’s wound having finished healing, and she stood quickly before turning to walk away. Ginny almost called out after her, but a quiet whisper from Harry grabbed her attention.

“Mum?” His eyes were flickering open, his right hand moving to his chest, where it felt around before he gasped and fully awakened. “What the…” He stared, wide eyed at it, the only part of him not covered in blood. “How?” His eyes rose up to meet hers, where they widened in recognition. “Ginny!”

She felt shame, guilt, and fear, and lowered her eyes before the last bit of… whatever that woman had done left her and she began to cry deeply. She felt Harry reach out and pull her into an embrace and he rocked her as she wept.

************************************** **************************************** **********************

Harry had held Ginny for… well it felt like hours. She was still sniffling, a sob interrupting every minute now, but she began to pull away. Ginny still avoided eye contact, but he started to wipe away the tears and a stray lock of hair from her face.

“Is… Is he gone?” When he nodded she asked in barely more than a whisper “I’m going to be expelled, aren’t I?”

“No!” He said vehemently, and when she flinched he spoke softer. “No, not if I have anything to say about it. I’ll explain to Dumbledore, he’ll understand. You were possessed by a very dark object Ginny, and not many people could have defended themselves from it.” Her eyes brimmed with tears again, but she refused to let them fall. “Come on, I’m sure Ron’s going spare and we need to get you checked by Pomfrey.”

Ginny put a hand on his bare chest. “It looked like you were dead.” Harry watched as her fingers traced across the skin and he felt goosebumps form.

“I should be. What happened?”

“This beautiful lady, she’s…” Ginny pointed off to her right, turning to look but stopped as she suddenly curled into a ball in his lap, whimpering. “It hurts…” There had been a slight glow about her that he’d not noticed was now dissipating.

“Ginny!” He needed to get her looked at, he was terrible with healing charms and he doubted he’d be able to do anything for her. Waving his wand he levitated her, and summoning the Diary, before setting off to the now closed entrance to the Chamber. As he neared the snakes that lined the wall appeared to move, and he nearly believed they were alive, but as he stepped to the door it still hadn’t opened. In response he slapped the wall, shouting “Open you stupid, bloody-” A grinding noise in the direction of the floor interrupted him, then the door began to slide down into the floor. Fortunately, it had moved just as quickly as it had when it closed, and he was already moving Ginny, whimpering all the while, through the opening before the door had fully opened.

“Miss Weasley, Harry!” Dumbledore’s voice called, and Harry spotted him a bit further into the passage as he stepped through flanked by the Weasley twins and Ron.

“Albus, something’s wrong with her, I don’t… I can’t…” The Headmaster was already waving his wand over the hovering girl, and what he’d seen couldn’t be good judging by the grim look on her face.

“We must get her to Poppy promptly. Fred, George, once we’ve exited the Chamber, could I request you two to run ahead to notify her of an impending patient.” Dumbledore turned, and began walking toward the exit, Ginny floating behind writhing in apparent pain, the twins at each of her sides. Harry was able to get Ron’s attention away from the blood, and the two ran to quickly catch up.

“What happened in there?” Ron asked. Fred and George shared a look but Harry shook his head and up ahead, Dumbledore called back.

“Let’s wait until after we have your sister situated, Mr. Weasley. I doubt Harry wants to recount his tale more than once. I assume the blood on you isn’t yours and the Basilisk is dead?” They were just passing the shed skin, and Harry noticed that Ron was looking back and forth between them and his friend.

“Some of it is, but it’s already been healed.” Dumbledore turned back, a quizzical look on his face. He knew Harry wasn’t the greatest at healing charms, the headmaster’s blue eyes flickered down at his chest for a brief moment, then again to the Diary in Harry’s hand, before turning back to look ahead. Harry would have smiled, normally the Headmaster would have questioned him non-stop over something like this. However, with a student injured, she took precedence, for Dumbledore cared very much for the protection of his students.

Once they’d reached the pipe that lead up to Myrtle’s bathroom, Dumbledore cast a spell, which caused stairs to appear. Except they moved like an escalator. “Come, I fear Ginevra doesn’t have much time.

************************************** **************************************** **********************

Out on the grounds of the school, the sun was setting behind the western mountains. The squid swam lazily on the surface of the lake, wondering why there hadn’t been any student’s out in the afternoon like there usually were. Not even the Groundskeeper had been seen outside of the castle after the Quidditch match.

A surge of air, as if a powerful wind centered from the entrance of the castle rushed over the lake and scaring the squid back into the darkened depths. If it had stayed, he’d have seen the two figures who’d appeared on the steps leading up to the doors. Their colors a stark contrast from each other, for one was clothed in black tattered and ripped robes, the second a white gown reaching her calves. The two were hunched over, each touching an object that lay on the darker clothed figures arm.

The man, Shadow, straightened as he stepped toward the door, and with a sweep of his left arm they opened with the slam echoing over the courtyard. The woman followed this by placing her hand against the door as she passed through them, cracks had form from the man’s magic before appearing to berate him. He smiled gently, his face appearing to strain against it as if it wasn’t used to the action.

The two made their way through the castle, walking leisurely, at least as leisurely beings that stood around nine feet tall could walk. When they reached the stairs, each were easily able to take four at a time. They appeared to know their destination, and sure enough they soon reached the Hospital Wing. The door had just closed behind two young identical red-headed boys when it came into view and they could hear voices from within.

Shadow opened the door, physically time with his blackened hand, and held it for his companion. They entered unnoticed at first, the two boys held the matrons full attention, but once the tall woman had reached one of the petrified student’s, the matron almost turned into a fiery beast.

“What in Merlin’s beard are you doing with my patients?” She shrieked. “Away, out with you before I-” But whatever it was she was about to do, they never found out. Shadow had moved between the two women, and in a flash placed his left hand to her forehead.

Madam Pomfrey froze, her eyes glazed over before she stepped back. Her mind filled with visions, one of a small brightly glowing orb, sized to fit perfectly into the palm of your hand, laying on a pedestal in a dark cave. She saw the man before her and two young men walk up to it before the vision shifted to one of just the Nephalem, the orb in his blackened hand before he crushed it. White wisps burst from his hand, and the vision followed them until they joined into a young, pale skinned newborn girl with a surprising shock of blonde hair upon her head.

The girl grew up in an instant in Poppy’s mind, becoming a young girl, roaming the streets with a young coloured boy in a city she had never seen. Again the girl aged into adulthood, where she lay weeping on who Poppy assumed was the boy she’d seen this unknown woman with earlier. The blonde girl looked almost regal now, and she cried out, a flash of bright light burst from her, encompassing the young man. The wisps of white from before shot off into the distance, where they coalesced, forming into a woman robed in white. Poppy’s vision returned, and she stood blinking up at the man who she assumed has shown her what she’d just seen.

“She will not harm your patients, Poppy. She was created to heal those in need of it.” The woman in white had not reacted to the outburst, and her glowing magic was already working on healing the bushy haired girl that lay petrified on the bed, but the Weasley twins had their wands out, pointing at the giant before Poppy. It didn’t take nearly as long for the girl on the bed to heal as it had for Harry’s chest all those years ago. The damage that had been done to him was physical, where the damage to this young girl was magical, and the matron had already begun working on removing the spell. The giant glanced at Fred and George, a darkness beginning to gather around him. The twins then found their wands ripped from their grasps by an unseen force and soared into the giant’s left hand. “Let us keep this civil, you two.”

After only a few minutes, the bushy haired girl breathed deeply, blinking at the sudden adjustment to the bright light. The woman smiled down at her before waving over one of the young men that had stood nearby watching the tall man warily. Once she had him sitting on the bed, Fred she believed his name was, she moved to the next patient, another young girl with long, nearly white hair. Once she’d begun working, the matron spoke, whose eyes were focused on the first who had been healed.

“How? I’ve never heard of magic strong enough to heal petrification. We have to brew a potion.” She turned to look at Shadow. “You’re the Nephalem that Harry and Albus spoke of.” It wasn’t a question, and he watched as the woman continued in her ministrations before he nodded.

“Yes, but I’m much older than when I first met Harry.” Poppy noticed that he had avoided her question. The woman in white stood, wiping a stray hair from her face. Luna also gasped for breath, and George was called over this time to see to her. The woman stood, glanced at the closed door before nodding at Shadow.

“They’re almost here. I’ll need to tend to her before I finish with the others here.” Not even ten seconds passed when the door opened to reveal Albus Dumbledore, a blood soaked Harry Potter, a nervous looking Ronald Weasley, and lastly, Ginevra Weasley laying on her side over nothing, writhing in pain. Poppy gasped, and was about to call out to Albus, but the woman in white was already at the whimpering girls side, soothing her with almost motherly tones. The headmaster didn’t even appear fazed by the arrival of the Nephalem, and moved to stand next to the Hogwarts Matron, leaning over to whisper into her ear.

“Miss Weasley is perfectly fit physically, it’s what she’s suffering from that I believe to be out of your expertise, Poppy.” She raised her eyebrows in response. “Her soul was… ravaged. I will have Harry explain what happened down in the Chamber of Secrets once Arthur and Molly arrive.”

************************************** **************************************** **********************

Shadow was the last to enter the Headmasters office when Arthur and Molly Weasley had arrived. On his request, the wizards allowed the woman in white, whom Shadow had called The Orb, for she had no name, to join and continue the healing for young Ginevra. Harry had hardly left her side during this time, and as he was going to reveal what had happened in the Chamber of Secrets, sat next to Ginny before Dumbledore’s desk. The Weasley’s that were at Hogwarts had formed a protective arc around the three. The Headmaster himself sat behind his desk, fingers steepled and brow furrowed ever so slightly with worry. The restored victims of the Basilisk had stayed with Madam Pomfrey to begin their recuperation.

Dumbledore cleared his throat, gaining the attention of everyone. “I believe all are here, if you would start when you’re ready, Harry.” The boy sighed heavily before he began recounting his tale. He explained how he first suspected that something was wrong with Ginny in the Common Room, and how Riddle surprised him. The twins and Ron finding him under the words Riddle had left him, he had to explain the Map to the others, but played it that he’d owned it and let the twins borrow it. Mrs. Weasley lightly scolded Ron when Harry explained the two of them dropping down the pipe and into the Chamber, but she hugged him tightly with a proud look on her face as well.

Harry continued, describing his plan to set off the trap to hopefully allow Ron to get Ginny out, but it fell apart before he could really start. Dumbledore noticed that Harry hesitated for a moment, but he kept quiet, certain he’d get the full report after the Weasley’s had left. Next came Harry’s scramble against the Basilisk, and as he came to the part where he’d stabbed the snake, he inadvertently summoned the same blade. Shadow perked up at this point, giving Harry a look of approval before once more returning to normal.

Harry became quiet for a bit after describing the death of the Basilisk, but a gasp from Molly and Ginny, who must have awoken during Harry’s tale, reached a hand up to rub at something on Harry’s face. The boy turned away and it was then that Dumbledore noticed the liquid that filled Harry’s eyes. He quickly blinked them away and after a deep breath spoke of how the Specter Riddle had injured him, followed by him pulling the last ditch effort to stop the Dark Lords teenage self from completing his goal.

Harry tossed the Diary up onto the Headmaster’s desk. “That’s how he was controlling Ginny. The part of his soul within has been destroyed.” Dumbledore picked it up, inspecting it and the hole left by the sword.

“A remarkable work of magic, but rather crude. I’d expect no less from Tom Riddle.” The headmaster mused aloud before setting back down onto his desk.

“Who’s Tom Riddle?” Arthur Weasley asked, his wife nodding beside him.

“Tom Riddle is Voldemort’s actual name, one he hasn’t gone by since before his rise as the Dark Lord we know now.” Dumbledore sighed, standing and looking to ‘The Orb’. “How extensive is the damage to Miss Weasley’s soul?”

It wasn’t the woman who answered, instead Shadow spoke from the back of the office. “It seems that Harry forced Tom into enacting his plan early. His final possession of her nearly shredded Ginevra’s soul into pieces. I’m afraid it will require nearly a year for The Orb to fully heal the damage. Fortunately, I have a plan that will allow Ginevra to be returned within a few months’ time, but it will require her to… leave during that time.”

That proclamation brought the exact response from the Weasley parents that Dumbledore expected, outbursts of refusal from Molly, and resignation from Arthur. Thankfully, when the Headmaster held up his hand, silence fell in the room.

“I fear that you are correct. The damage done to Miss Weasley’s soul is far beyond anything a healer from our world is able to mend.” Harry stood then, with a look that Dumbledore knew meant the boy wouldn’t take no for an answer.

“I’m going with her. I practically ignored her this year, even though she’s my best friend.” For a moment, he looked like that man who’d lost hope near the end, before Shadow had sent him back. The Nephalem was already nodding in agreement, and he even looked happy at Harry’s words.

“Why does she have to leave? Why can’t you heal her here, with her family watching over her?” Molly cried out. She was now kneeling next to her daughter, grasping the girls hand tightly. The Orb reach out with her free hand, placing it on the woman’s shoulder.

“Molly,” Shadow moved to stand in the circle. “There are many power’s in this universe that are after The Orb, and this includes my younger self, who in his current state is perhaps the most dangerous. If we stay here, they will surely find her, but if we leave I can hide all of us while Ginevra recovers. I know my request is unfair to you and your family, but I ask as a parent to another and promise she will return.” The two stared at one another, glowing red and tearful brown, for a few moments before Molly nodded and heaved a heavy sigh that ended in a sob.

“It seems we are all agreed then?” Dumbledore asked the room, and after everyone had nodded he continued. “Very well, I’m sure the Weasley’s would like to spend what time remains with their daughter before their departure. Shadow, Harry, if you two could stay behind, we have a few things to discuss before you retrieve what you’ll need.” Leaned against the wall, folding his arms as the Weasley’s and The Orb left. Harry watched Ginny carefully until the door closed behind them.

Dumbledore once again picked up the Diary, holding it up for the other two to see. “First, the Diary. I presume you understand what this is?”

Harry nodded, “A Horcrux, but this one behaved differently than they should. I think Voldemort placed too much of his soul when he created it.” The two wizards looked at the Nephalem. “You knew about this, didn’t you?” Harry accused the being, who nodded slowly.

“If I may, why did you not tell Harry what he was looking for when you sent him back through the ritual?” Dumbledore asked.

Shadow appeared to think for a moment before speaking. “If we’d done the ritual as I am now, I most likely would have. My past self, however prefers to keep many secrets to himself. At the time I did not feel it prudent to tell you.” He held up a hand, stopping Harry from speaking. “It is in the past, and we must move on. You had more to ask Albus, speak, for we’ll have a visitor soon.” The two wizards exchanged a glance.

“Very well, the second matter. Harry if you could once again show us that magnificent sword, I find it rather odd that it could destroy a Horcrux as only a few things could do so.” Harry summoned it again, placing the sword on the desk, the blade’s end hanging over the edge. Shadow moved over, tracing one of the sharpened edges with his blackened claws.

“This is not any normal sword. It is a weapon forged to match the resonance of your soul. You felt a presence when you first summoned it?” At Harry’s nod he continued. “The blade itself is made of the strongest known metal to the planet the soul inhabits, which on Earth is Goblin silver. Known to absorb anything that would make it stronger. You stabbed a Basilisk with it, therefore it took in its venom, which just so happens to be one of two ways to destroy a Horcrux. These blades are an extraordinarily rare find. Among my people, I only know of three who have been able to summon one. No, I am not one of those three. Our visitor should be arriving… now”

The door to the Headmasters office burst open, and in walked Lucius Malfoy looking imperious. He stopped short when he noticed the Nephalem. Standing behind him, with a dirty rag in its hand, was Dobby the House-Elf.

“Ah, Lucius. Has the Board of Governors sent you about the abduction of Miss Weasley into the Chamber?” Dumbledore asked the man with a pleasant smile on his face.

Lucius looked between the three in the room before stepping between the Nephalem and Harry. “I’m to understand the situation has been taken care of, otherwise you wouldn’t be having a chat in your office.”

“Indeed, it would seem that Miss Weasley was under the enchantment of a Dark Artifact, this one in fact.” Dumbledore held up the Diary. “Fortunately for us, Mr. Potter, during his investigation throughout the year, was able to deduce where the Chamber was, managing to destroy the Diary of Tom Riddle, and the Basilisk that was contained within during his rescue of Miss Weasley.

“I see.”

Harry was watching Dobby throughout the exchange. The House-Elf looked up at him guiltily, then to his master and back before covering his eyes with the rag.

“Mr. Malfoy, if I may?” Harry found himself saying. The man looked down at him before nodding. “I believe I’ve got a proposition for you.”

“And that is?” Curiosity evident on his face.

“I won’t bring the evidence I’ve found on how Ginny got the Diary. In exchange, you will release Dobby here into my service.”

Fury coated Lucius’ face. “Why would I… How do you know my servants name?”

Harry smirked. “During the summer, Dobby here was trying to prevent me from writing to my friends. I eventually caught him, and imagine my surprise when he mentioned his family had a plan that would endanger me at Hogwarts, but they also wanted to change sides, having grown weary of being labeled as dark wizards.” He narrowed his eyes. “You want to be allies, Lucius? Fine, but you should have contacted me instead of placing that damned Diary into Ginny’s cauldron that day in Diagon Alley.”

“You have no proof, and the Wizengamot will not take a House-Elves words over mine, a respected member of society.”

“Probably not.” Harry agreed. “But if you still want that alliance, give me Dobby. We can spend the next year working together and see where we go from there.”

Lucius Malfoy did not have to think hard about the boy’s request. He also cursed himself, perhaps Narcissa had been right and he should have gone straight to the boy. Lucius really was a fool in not listening to her. He’d have to do something to make it up.

Drawing his wand from its hidden place in his cane, he held it tip up. “I, Lucius Malfoy, hereby grant ownership of the House-Elf Dobby, to one Harry James Potter.” His wand flashed, and Dobby burst into tears.

“I’ll contact you at the end of the school year. It seems I may be… busy until then.” Lucius nodded, glancing at Shadow before leaving the room.

“Are you sure that was wise, Harry?” Dumbledore asked.

“No, but maybe we could use him when Voldemort returns.”

************************************** **************************************** **********************

An hour later, Shadow, The Orb, Ginny and Harry stood in Dumbledore’s office, each had a finger touching a strange device on the Nephalems arm. The two humans had their trunks packed, being held in their other hand. Ginny still looked rather pale, but the woman next to her still had her magic coursing through the young redhead. Just before, Shadow had instructed the two to eat a rather strange plant, explaining that it would be needed to acclimate them to the difference in oxygen levels of where they would be going.

Dumbledore and the Weasley’s were there. Molly once again in tears with Arthur’s arm around her shoulder. Ron and the twins each appeared rather excited to see the departure, but Shadow had explained that to them, it would look like the group had taken a portkey.

The Nephalem counted down, and as he reached one, the device on his arm flashed and the group vanished.

A/N: Well, this was massive. There was a point I thought of ending it, but it just didn’t sit right with me. Also, I wanted to point out that with the changes I made to my outline, and saying fuck it to trying to keep it close to the actual canon, I added an OC that wasn’t in the original outline. I will also say, this version of Shadow in this and the next chapter or two is quite different from what we’ve come to know. I will say he’s nearing the end of his journey, and has reached that point that changes him, in my opinion, for the better. Thanks for reading everyone and please leave a review!
Reviews 53
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear