Search:

SIYE Time:7:35 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Accidental Contact
By Emlyn

- Text Size +

Category: The Bond Challenge (2012-4), The Bond Challenge (2012-4)
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: General
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 82
Summary: A chance encounter on the streets of Diagon Alley lead to a life-altering experience for Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley.
Hitcount: Story Total: 22617; Chapter Total: 4065







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter Five


Molly stopped dead upon entering the room. It was obvious to the visitors that Arthur had not forewarned her as to the reason he was seeking her out.

Before any sound could pass her lips, Bill raised his hand for silence and motioned for her to sit down.

“Hello, Mum, Dad. It’s good to see you again.” He walked over and gave his mother a brief hug and shook hands with his father. He grabbed a seat and pulled it closer to the settee upon which Harry and Ginny were anxiously seated.

“I’m sure you’re wondering what we are all doing here, and why Harry and Ginny are here with me.”

His father nodded and his mother simply narrowed her eyes. He knew this was not going to be easy, but was relieved that, so far, things were proceeding better than he had expected.

“The Director of Gringotts recalled me from my dig in Egypt yesterday, because he thought that perhaps I could be of help in dealing with the situation in which Harry and Ginny have found themselves.”

Molly looked like she wanted to interrupt him, but Bill help up his hand. “Please, allow me to finish. I think some of the problems have arisen because people have been too quick to react and too slow to listen.”

Arthur nodded his head in agreement and took his wife’s hand in his own, offering her his comfort and support. He knew that this meeting was going to be excruciating for Molly.

As Bill began to explain things to Arthur and Molly, Harry and Ginny began to visibly relax. It meant the world to Harry to have someone who supported him and believed in him, especially in such difficult circumstances.

It was clear that Molly was not pleased with what Bill was saying, but Arthur managed to keep her sufficiently calm. All that changed, however, when he began to discuss living arrangements and educational plans.

“Absolutely not!” Molly cried. “I will not allow my little girl to live alone with a boy, even if you claim he is her husband. She’s just a baby.”

Ginny cringed. She hated the way her mother talked about her, as if she were still six. She knew she wasn’t old enough to be living on her own, but that wasn’t the issue. Deep down inside, she understood her mother’s feelings. She was not yet ten, and it was expected that she would live at home with her family, at least until she finished at Hogwarts. Now that no longer seemed possible.

Although Ginny wished she could just live at home with her family, she knew her mother would never agree to the necessary living arrangements. Her mother would probably insist that Harry bunk with Ron, and she couldn’t imagine Harry living in the dreadful orangeness (was that even a word? she wondered) of Ron’s room listening to him prattle endlessly on about the Chudley Cannons.

Bill looked at his mother straight in the eye. “Mum, she won’t be living alone. I plan on living there and supervising and caring for them. You’ve raised me to be decent and honourable. I think I can do the same for Ginny and Harry. There will a responsible adult around - me. We are not suggesting that you simply allow them to run wild, not that they would,” he muttered that last under his breath, however he had an inkling that his father had heard his words, from the look Arthur shot him.

“As much as you may dislike it, Mum, the decision of where Ginny lives is out of your hands. It is up to Ginny and Harry, and, at present, they are choosing to live in his family’s ancestral home.” Bill hated to be so blunt, but he knew his mother required nothing less.

“Well, what about school?” blustered Molly, determined not to be thwarted on at least one point.

“Didn’t you hear me, Mum?” asked Bill patiently. “Have you not understood how Dumbledore has interfered where he had no right to, and how he has been the direct cause of Harry being neglected all these years? Can you not understand Harry’s unwillingness to put himself under the authority of a man who does not seem to have his best interests at heart?” He paused to let his mother ponder his words.

After a few moments of silence, he pressed on. “More recently, Dumbledore attempted to prevent Harry from speaking with the Goblins. He encouraged you not tell Ginny the truth about what happened, and, more importantly, he is the one who insisted he would undo the bond.”

Bill looked hard at his parents. “You are aware, are you not, that had he done that, he would have been responsible for at least one, if not both, of their deaths? At the very least the one who survived would have been condemned to a life of loneliness and misery and the surety of an early demise. Is that what you wanted for Ginny? For Harry?”

His parents fidgeted under his gaze.

Bill’s words were harsh, but necessary. He was honestly unsure as to whether or not they were cognisant of the full consequences of Dumbledore’s plan. He noted that his father looked genuinely shocked, whilst his mother was unable to look him in the eye. He suspected she did know of the potential consequences, and had either decided it was worth the risk, or had chosen to believe that Dumbledore had been exaggerating. Unfortunately, he had not. In all likelihood, they would have both been dead within the year, and it was imperative that his parents understood this.

His father spoke up. “Harry, Ginny, I am terribly sorry about all the misunderstandings. I am starting to realise that the Headmaster has not been as forthcoming as he could have, perhaps even should have, been with us. I apologise if our actions have caused you distress.”

Arthur was painfully aware that Molly’s and his conduct had led to a loss of trust between the two couples. There was nothing Arthur wanted to more than to regain his daughter’s trust. It was up to Molly and him, as parents, to demonstrate to Ginny - and by extension, Harry - they could indeed be trusted, and they were dedicated to preserving the well-being of both her and Harry, no matter the cost. Given time he was hopeful that the relationship with their daughter and her bond-mate could be restored. Referring to him as her husband was a bit difficult at the present time, bond-mate was easier to contemplate.

Harry and Ginny exchanged glances, then Harry responded. “We accept your apology, sir. I know this must not be easy for you. I wish that things could have been different. Ginny and I did not mean to cause such a bother, and we apologise for any distress we’ve caused you and Mrs. Weasley.”

Harry paused, then continued, his voice growing stronger as he spoke. “However, you do need to understand that nothing can separate us. We will be together. If you or Mrs. Weasley can’t accept that, then relations between us will be rather strained.” He did look a bit regretful as he finished, but he did not back down.

Arthur nodded his understanding. He couldn’t say he was happy with the situation, but he would do his best to be understanding and supportive. He turned to Molly and was pleased to see that she was smiling at Harry, a bit tremulously, to be sure, but smiling nevertheless. Arthur’s demeanour lightened considerably. Bridges were being built.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx


Over the next few days, Harry and Ginny were the recipients of several owls. A week later, they had heard back from all five schools. One more had been unable to accommodate them, due to lack of facilities, but the other two had responded enthusiastically. They now had three schools to consider.

One was in Wales. Harry, and Ginny, was surprised to learn that there was more than one school of magic in the British Isles. He had, wrongly, assumed that Hogwarts was the only school in Britain. When he considered the fact that Wales was its own separate country, the concept of there being a magical school in Wales made more sense.

The second school was in Ireland. Unfortunately, they soon learned that it was more of a day school than a boarding school, especially in the upper years, and commuting was not a feasible option for them, as Harry owned no property in Ireland. It was with great regret that they crossed that particular school off their list as it had looked quite promising.

That left them with two schools to choose from. After reviewing all the information they had received, and several consultations with Bill, and even one with Director Ragnok, they decided they would attend Baron Hill on the Isle of Anglesey or Ynys Môn, as it was know in Welsh, in Gwynedd. The school had been open since the end of the Second World War and was fast gaining a reputation for providing a top-notch magical education.

Baron Hill was perched on a hillside overlooking the Menai Strait and had extensive grounds. The climate there was much milder than at Hogwarts. Both Harry and Ginny were quite excited to learn that the school had stables, and students could take riding lessons if they chose. Ginny had always loved horses, and this was a dream come true. The crowning glory, however, in Ginny’s mind, at least, was that Baron Hill wasn’t all that distant from Holyhead, home of the Holyhead Harpies, her favourite Quidditch team.

Many of the classes were similar to those offered at Hogwarts, but some were quite different. Baron Hill didn’t ignore the Muggle world and provided classes in foreign languages - Welsh was mandatory - science, and maths. History covered both magical and Muggle history.

They also provided an introductory course to the magical world, and, for those who would were interested, offered electives in Magical Law and the Wizengamot, Elementary Wards, Curse-Breaking, Wand Lore, and Broom Construction. Both Harry and Ginny were fascinated by the class listings and couldn’t wait for the term to begin.

Although Baron Hill was quite a bit smaller than Hogwarts, and lacked its history and reputation, it sounded innovative and forward-thinking, which appealed to Harry’s Muggle background. The deciding factor, however, was that they welcomed Ginny’s attendance, despite her age, and were willing and able to provide quarters for them to share. In their return missive, they indicated that they had had other students in similar situations.

Harry wondered at that, as he was unfamiliar with the way the magical world functioned, but Bill explained that some members of the magical world - Veelas and werewolves, for example - mated for life, and when they met their bond-mates they formed a bond with them, similar to the bond he and Ginny shared.

Harry found that quite fascinating and secretly hoped that there was another bonded couple at the school, so that he would not feel quite so unique and alone. Whether or not that would be the case, he had the distinct impression that the school would be welcoming of him no matter what.

Bill was also rather intrigued with the school’s position. It certainly appeared that Baron Hill’s policies were not quite in alignment with those of the Ministry. Not that Bill objected to that in the least. The Ministry’s attitudes towards other magical beings, including Goblins, were reprehensible, in his opinion. Voldemort and his followers were not the only ones who were proponents of pure-blood prejudices.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx


Se veral days later, they met with the elder Weasleys for supper and announced their decision. Mrs. Weasley was rather skeptical - she had never heard of Baron Hill - but Mr. Weasley was a bit more open-minded, as he had a colleague whose daughter attended the school.

“You never mentioned that to me,” chided his wife.

“Actually, Molly, I have. Maximus is full of stories about Hyacinth’s experiences at school.” He looked appraisingly at her. “I expect that you were simply expressing your loyalty to Hogwarts by turning a deaf ear to tales praising another school. It’s not always easy to hear about activities and classes our children are missing out on.”

Molly huffed at the thought that her children might be receiving a second-rate education, after all the greatest wizard of their age, Albus Dumbledore, was the Headmaster of Hogwarts. If he was overseeing her children's’ education, then it must be far superior to anything they might receive elsewhere.

Privately, Arthur wondered if the education his children were receiving really was up to snuff. He questioned Severus Snape’s ability to successfully teach youngsters. Professor Binns was a disgrace. The Divination Professor was a sorry excuse for a witch, let alone a teacher. And the post of Defence Against the Dark Arts was supposedly cursed. No teacher lasted more than a year, and the teaching quality was declining steadily.

Arthur decided it might be wise to consider enrolling some of his other children elsewhere. He would wait to see how Harry and Ginny fared during their first term, and then re-evaluate his options. Whilst Percy was thriving at Hogwarts, Fred and George were, not exactly floundering, rather they were not living up to their potential. Baron Hill might be just the right environment in which they could flourish. Hmm, I’ll just have to sit down with Bill ask for his input. This could prove to quite interesting…

“What courses do they offer?” asked Molly brusquely, still not willing to believe there could be a school comparable to her beloved Hogwarts.

Bill fished the brochure with the list of courses out his rucksack and passed it over to his mother.

Ginny and Harry sat sipping their tea whilst the adults poured over the brochure. They had been apprehensive about this meeting and were quite chuffed to see it going so smoothly.

Harry found it quite fascinating to watch the Weasleys interact with each other. He was impressed with how well both Mr. Weasley and Bill had subtly defused Mrs. Weasley, and was thankful for their intercession on Ginny’s and his behalf.

Whilst Arthur peppered Bill and Harry with questions about some of the Muggle courses, Molly looked over at Ginny, a tender smile on her face. “I read that they have stables there. You’ve always wanted to have a horse. Now you’ll finally have a chance to learn to ride.”

Ginny’s face lit up with excitement and wonder. “It will be smashing, Mum. I can’t wait. And they have swimming, and we’ll be able to take walks to the village, and I’ll be able to study maths. I always regretted that Hogwarts didn’t offer maths. Arithmancy is similar, but you have to wait until Third Year to study that.”

Molly was delighted to see how enthusiastic her daughter was about starting school. She was less excited to learn that Bill’s school-to-work transition at Gringotts had been hindered by the lack of upper level classes at Hogwarts. Classes that were available through other schools.

Molly was unaware that Hogwarts had not adequately prepared him for his chosen career. She had been blinded by her certainty that Hogwarts was the best school out there, and she had simply binned the other acceptance letters her children had received. Perhaps she had done them all a disservice.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx


“ Harry, I’ve spoken with Director Ragnok about your godfather. We must tread very carefully. Director Ragnok has discovered that Minister Fudge was one of those directly involved in sending Sirius to Azkaban without a trial.”

Harry stared at the older man, a frown on his face. The news sounded rather grim. He wanted, more than anything, to secure his godfather’s freedom. The problem was, he had no idea how to accomplish his goal. Unfortunately, it sounded like no one else had any brilliant ideas, either.

Bill paused, and ran his fingers through his hair. He really wasn’t certain what to tell Harry. The chances of securing a trial for Sirius Black, at this point in time, were slender. Fudge would not appreciate the negative publicity such a trial would generate, and he and his supporters were capable of wielding a great deal of power.

The other issue concerned Sirius’ health and welfare. If they were to attempt to bring him to trial, chances were high that he would not live to stand trial. It was for this reason that there was a high level of secrecy surrounding his discussions with Director Ragnok. It would not do for anyone associated with Fudge to hear even a whisper of their plans.

Bill knew that the only way they would succeed in freeing Harry’s godfather, is if they secured allies - powerful allies. And that would be hard, considering Harry was not attending Hogwarts, which the majority of British witches and wizards attended for their schooling. It would be that much harder for him to make connections with those whose parents or guardians may be of assistance.

“Does this mean there is nothing we can do?” Harry asked despairingly.

Bill ruffled the younger boy’s hair. “No. It simply means we have to be careful. Very, very careful. If word of this gets out, Sirius’ life may be in danger. While you are off at school, we will be working on building support and making plans.”

“But that could take years!” Harry was beyond frustrated. Why did his life always have to be so complicated?

“Patience, grasshopper. We will work as quickly as we can, but we cannot afford to make mistakes. A man’s life is on the line.” Bill pulled Harry into a quick hug. The boy was getting better at tolerating them. “Your job is to do well in school. To learn all you can and take care of my sister.”

Harry gave Bill a look that implied he was dimmer than a troll.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


Ha rry and Ginny sat facing each other on their bed, the night before their departure for Baron Hill. It had been an eventful month, and they were both glad for an opportunity to experience normalcy, for a change.

“Are you scared, Harry?”

“Yes, I am. Are you?”

“Petrified. At least if I was going off to Hogwarts, I would know someone there. I’m going to miss seeing my brothers this year. I don’t actually know their friends, but I’ve heard stories, and I recognise names. Where we’re going is a complete unknown. And the Muggle subjects. I’ve never had to bother much with them. What if I’m not good enough? What if I make Dreadfuls in everything?”

“Ginny, you are such a goose. You’ll be brilliant.” Harry reached over and tickled her side.

Ginny scooted away, shrieking, then turned around and launched a counter-attack. Harry curled up in a ball and tried to roll away from her questing hands, but she sat on his legs and pinned him to the bed.

Suddenly the door flew open, and Bill appeared in the entryway. When he saw what the two were up to, he simply laughed. “You had me scared there for a moment,” he remarked between peals of laughter. “If you’re going to torture each other, keep it down, or you’ll find yourselves in danger of being hexed.” He backed out and closed the door behind him.

Harry finally flipped Ginny off of him, and caught her hands in one of his own. “Pax!” he entreated. He sat up and pulled her up next to him. They leaned back against the head of the bed.

“Ginny, what if no one likes me? I’ve never had a friend before. I don’t know how to be a friend. And school. I don’t know how to do well at school. Living with the Dursleys only taught me to how do poorly. I don’t want to disappoint you or Bill, but I don’t know if I can be a good student.”

Ginny lifted his arm and dropped it over her shoulders. She scooted closer, leaned her head against his chest, and closed her eyes. She loved being close to Harry. It felt so nice. She was so thankful that the school wasn’t going to separate them. She’d be lost without this closeness.

“Harry, you’ll be brilliant, too. You’ve been a wonderful friend to me, and you are so smart. I’m always amazed at how quickly you absorb knowledge.” She leaned over and kissed his cheek. “Seriously, we have each other. Together we will succeed. And we will make Bill proud. I don’t know about you, but I want to make the sacrifices he’s made worth it. He’s given up so much for us; I don’t want him to ever regret it.”

Harry looked into the intense face of his bond-mate and couldn’t help but agree. Bill was fast becoming his hero. Harry was already starting to grow his hair out, in imitation of the way Bill wore his. It wasn’t quite long enough to tie back yet, but it was much more manageable, plus Ginny liked it.

Bill had persuaded him to wait on an earring until he was older, on the off chance he changed his mind and decided he’d rather not wear one. Harry was certain of one thing, however, when he grew up he wanted to be as noble, honourable, and self-sacrificing as his brother.

Reviews 82
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear