Search:

SIYE Time:9:57 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


To Protect a Family
By Jewels

- Text Size +

Category: Wanted: Dead or Alive Challenge 2012-3, Wanted: Dead Or Alive Challenge (2012-3)
Characters:None
Genres: Drama
Warnings: Death
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 9
Summary: The war is over and Harry and Ginny have moved on with their lives together. However many Death Eaters were unaccounted for at the end of the war and the family Harry's built for himself is threatened by them when they try to extract revenge. What lengths will Harry go to in order to protect his family?
Hitcount: Story Total: 8933; Chapter Total: 2793





Author's Notes:
I'm writing as fast as I can and I'm trying to make the deadline. Fingers crossed, wish me luck, and please review :)




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Ginny awoke the next morning to discover Harry sleeping in a chair and slumped over with his head on her stomach. She ached all over, but was happy to see that he looked okay. His tall wiry frame looked uncomfortable hunched over, his glasses were askew and frown lines creased his forehead showing how concerned he was for her. Her night had been restless and painful as her knee cap reformed and the muscles and nerves slowly unravelled. She noticed a glass of water sitting on her night stand and took a few small sips moistening her dry lips and parched throat. A gurgle caused her to look over and see Teddy staring at her through his play pen. "Morning Teddy. Were you a good boy for Harry last night?" she softly asked him. A chuckle near her stomach diverted her attention back to her handsome husband. "Morning luv, what's so funny?"

"He had quite the scare yesterday and was restless most of the night. He really only quieted down when I held him. I think he needed the reassurance that everything was alright. I spent most of the night holding him and staring at you. Trying to memorize every detail; your beautiful fiery red hair, warm chocolate brown eyes, every tiny freckle, your long silky smooth legs that go on forever, an arse I could never get tired of watching from the back of a broomstick and two perfect breasts that…"

"Harry!" she exclaimed awash with embarrassment.

"You're an angel, Gin. My angel, and I almost lost you." Harry cupped her hand in both of his and gently brought it up to his mouth where he caressed it with his lips. "You were brilliant, luv. Absolutely brilliant. Teddy's fine because of how well you protected him." Harry lowered her hand back to the bed and placed his hand lovingly over her stomach. "Our baby's okay too," he told her quietly.

A choked sob broke through her lips as she sagged in relief. "Merlin Harry I was so worried, but I was too scared to ask." Her body started to shake from the all of the pent-up emotions she had been feeling since the attack first began, and Harry rocked her gently in his arms trying to soothe her chaotic nerves. Ginny gained control of herself fairly quickly and within moments she was quiet and content snuggled in her husband's arms where she felt safest.

"Are you in a lot of pain, baby? I can have the healer give you a pain potion."

"A little, but it's bearable at the moment. Will you bring me Teddy please?"

"Of course, luv." Harry leapt off the bed and scooped Teddy up into his arms. "Here ya go trouble, let's sit with Gin."

Ginny cuddled him close to her and examined his heart shaped face, rapidly changing hair that was settling on red and all of his visible limbs.

"He really is okay, Gin. I promise, he didn't get a scratch on him." Ginny nodded her head to acknowledge his statement, but her eyes remained fixed on her adorable godson cuddled in her arms. "I'm going to go get Healer Gray, baby. I'll be right back."

"Okay, luv" Ginny said before lifting up Teddy's shirt and blowing a loud raspberry on his stomach, igniting Teddy's squeals.

Harry shook his head and chuckled as he left the room. His family was safe for now. He just had to make sure they stayed that way.

************************************

Harry returned with Healer Gray in tow about ten minutes later. He took Teddy from Gin so the Healer could examine her and quickly sent off two patronuses causing her to quirk an eyebrow in his direction. Harry smiled and winked at her so turned back to the healer and promptly swallowed the pain potion he was pushing on her. After explaining how to use the crutches she now found herself saddled with for the next five days, Healer Gray left saying her discharge papers would be ready by noon. Just as he was leaving, Neville and Seamus bounced through the door and strode over to her taking turns to engulf her in hugs.

"Merlin, Ginny! You nearly gave me a heart attack seeing you like that yesterday," Neville's arms squeezed her tight, his relief evident.

"Oi Neville! Enough of that! No hogging the pretty lass!" Seamus smiled widely at her before wrapping her in his arms. "It's good to see you're fairing better, luv. Don't know what that poor bloke you've married would do and anything ever happened to ya."

Ginny smiled brightly at them both and swiped away a lone tear that trickled down her cheek. "You both came to help yesterday?"

"Aye lass. Harry asked, so we were there. There's no where else we would have been."

"Thanks Seamus."

Neville rolled his eyes, "You and Harry are my best friends. There's nothing I wouldn't do for either of you."

Ginny's watery smile turned to him, "Love you too Neville. It goes both ways," she said softly.

Harry cleared his throat in the awkward silence that descended upon the room. "Well Gin, the guys are going to stay here with you and visit while I take care of a few things. I'll be back by noon to pick you up and we'll all head back to the house. The three of us have some things to fill you in on."

"Okay sweetie. Are you going to leave Teddy here with us or take him with you?"

"Although it would be better to leave him here, I need to have him with me. We shouldn't be too long. Is there anything special you'd like for dinner tonight?"

"Shepherd's pie?"

Harry chuckled, "Shepherd's pie it is, Gin. Whatever you want." He leaned down and gave her a quick kiss and then brought Teddy down to her so she could do the same. He looked over at his mates, "Thanks guys, I'll be back soon."

************************************ ****

Harry apparated to the gates of Hogwarts and sent his patronus to Professor Flitwick. Five minutes later Filius joined him at the gate wearing his travelling cloak and greeted Harry enthusiastically.

"Sir, I hate to trouble you, but I need a Fidelius charm placed on my home and you're the only one I trust to cast it properly. Would you mind coming with me now and helping me."

"Of course Mr Potter, but why now? The war is over."

"My family was attacked yesterday sir. While the war may be over there are still many Death Eaters unaccounted for and I will not risk my family for some psychos' plans to gain petty revenge. I will protect my family by any means necessary and at all costs."

"Merlin, was anyone hurt."

"Ginny was, but she'll be okay. She's being released from the hospital at noon which is why I was hoping the charm could be performed before then."

"Lead the way, Mr. Potter."

With two soft pops they disappeared form Hogwarts and reappeared in Godric's Hollow.

"I assume you're going to be your own secret keeper, is that right Mr. Potter?"

"Yes sir, I brought Teddy with me because he'll need to know, but I wasn't sure how I'd tell him if he wasn't part of the original casting."

"Good thinking Mr. Potter. Let's begin."

***************************** ***********

At 11:45 Harry hurried back into his wife's room with a sleeping Teddy in his arms only to find her playing poker with Neville and Seamus and by the looks of it, cleaning house. He stood in the doorway staring at the scene and chuckled amusedly before interrupting them. "Are you ready to go, luv or should I come back later and give you a chance to completely clean them out?"

Seamus' dumbfounded expression said it best. "Blimey Harry, she's a bleedin' sharp! Haven't seen anything like this since Fred and George were at school and I don't reckon they could even take her."

Laughing uproariously Ginny gathered up her winning and reached for her crutches. "Come on slow coaches, I want out of here and Harry's back to spring me. If you're good Seamus I might show you a couple tricks later on."

As they approached the door Harry stepped inside and sealed the door. "Before we leave the room I need the three of you to read and memorize this," he said as he held the paper up for Ginny to read before handing it to Neville. Once Seamus had seen it too Harry burned the paper and unsealed the door. "Think about what you read as you floo. See you there." Harry cast a quick silencing ward around the floo and threw in some powder, "Number 6 Potter Lane."

A few minutes later all of them were settling themselves in the living room while Harry took Teddy up to bed and Ginny sent Seamus in to the kitchen for drinks.

"Hey Gin-Gin, what's with all the Corona? What is it?" Seamus asked from the kitchen.

"It's a muggle beer. Harry and I tried it on our honeymoon in Mexico and we both really like it. It's quite common in North America, but not so much here in England. We get it ordered in for us. Feel free to try it, but if you'd rather have Guinness there should be a case in the cold cupboard to the left of the fridge."

Harry joined Seamus in the kitchen a moment later and began quickly making a platter of sandwiches and opened a couple bags of crisps. Once everyone was comfortable and started to eat, Harry gained their attention. "Ginny, Seamus and Neville came to see me last night at the hospital. Kingsley has over-ruled any Aurors from using the valid Dead or Alive law. He hasn't managed to overturn it, but since he's the Minister and the Aurors work for the Ministry he can limit their power. Seamus and Neville both turn in their resignation and want to help us."

Ginny looked at both of their friends in turn before focusing on her husband. "Help us with what Harry?"

Harry quickly stood up and began pacing. "The war is supposed to be over Gin. It's supposed to be safe. I almost lost you yesterday…I almost lost my family from sick psychotic criminals that are determined to take you away from me. They are determined to make me pay for destroying Tom. I WON"T let that happen Ginny! We deserve to be safe and happy. I refuse to live in fear and I won't have you, Teddy, or our children placed in danger because people are hell-bent in destroying me. I will protect us by ANY means necessary. I'm going to hunt them down and do what the ministry refuses to do…take them out permanently."

"Harry, you are no longer talking about self-defence."

"It is defence, baby! They are threatening us and I'll do what I must to make us safe and defend our family."

Ginny stared deeply into his eyes. Brown meeting emerald, losing themselves in the other, reading their very souls. "You're right Harry. What do we need to do?"

Harry smiled and walked over to her hugging her closely before returning her to the sofa. "It will be okay Gin. As long as I've got you we'll be fine."

Ginny kissed him softly, "I won't stay behind Harry."

"I'm not asking you to. I promised I'd never leave you behind again. We'll do this together."

After a few moments Seamus cleared his throat and pulled a piece of parchment from his coat. "This is a list of all the unaccounted for Death Eaters, forty-two in total plus the two you killed yesterday which I've already crossed off the list."

"Seamus and I were discussing it last night and we thought it would be prudent to have Harry, Seamus and I work on tracking and gathering intel on them this week while Ginny's laid up. We can meet every evening, share information and collaborate together on how we're going to handle it."

"That sounds good. I hate being laid up, we still have Teddy with us until Andi gets back on Friday and I can spend the time researching things on my end and ordering supplies we're going to need."

Neville fidgeted nervously a moment before looking at Harry and broaching the subject that had been on his and Seamus' mind. "Harry, are you going to bring Ron and Hermione in on this?"

Harry shook his head. "There's no point. Hermione is back at Hogwarts doing her seventh year and she would never approve of it anyway and I definitely don't feel like being lectured by her. I won't tell Ron because although he would want to help, he'd never keep it from Hermione and in the end he'd side with her. No, we'll always be close, but I'm not bringing them in on this."

"Okay Harry, we just wanted to know where you stood on that and what to expect. We both felt Hermione would be a handful."

"Harry, there's someone I would like you to consider bringing in on this. My brother would be a huge asset to us with the connections he and Fred made over the years. He has suppliers everywhere and has always been very skilled at gathering intel. Plus, he's very close to both of us and he would want to stand by us and do this."

"I agree, Gin. Do either of you have an issue if I bring George into this?" Harry asked while looking at Neville and Seamus.

"No, we're fine with that."

"Aye, sounds like grand idea."

Harry stood up and pulled on his coat. "Guess I'd better go invite him to the party."

***************************** *******

Fifteen minutes later George floo'd over to the Potter home followed quickly by Harry.

"So, Gin-Gin, what's this I hear you guys are on a top secret mission and would like my help if you can manage to recruit me?" he asked playfully while waggling his eyebrows.

Harry headed into the kitchen to start preparing dinner leaving the others to explain the situation and bring George up to date.

"Good to see you George," Ginny said smiling widely at her brother. "We had a bit of trouble yesterday hence the house being placed under a Fidelius."

"Yeah, Harry mentioned something about that briefly and said that you were hurt. Are you okay now?"

"I'll be okay, George. I'm mostly healed but I'm stuck using these crutches for the next five days."

"Blimey Gin! What happened?"

"The house was attacked by Death Eaters yesterday. I was home alone with Teddy at the time although fortunately we were in the backyard. That bought me some time. I was hit in the arm by a cutting curse, my knee was shattered by a reducto and I had a slight concussion when my temple impacted the ground. I managed to get a message off to Harry first before they found me, and he alerted the Aurors before showing up to save the day before they had time to finish me and Teddy off."

George sat down heavily with his head in his hands. "Merlin I almost lost you yesterday, Gin. I've already lost Fred and I almost lost you too." He began rocking back and forth slowly, lost in his own nightmares with silent tears streaming down his cheeks. After a few minutes he took a fortifying breath, "I won't lose another member of family. What's the plan?"

"The plan Georgie-boy, is to spent this week researching and gathering intel on this list of forty-two unaccounted for Azkaban escapees, then acting on a secret, but legal law, putting them down for good. Each one we bring in dead or alive earns us 1000 galleons under this law. Harry took out three from the list yesterday. Two permanently and one injured, but alive, so they've been crossed out already and Harry is entitled to collect 3000 galleons so far," Seamus explained patiently.

"What is the plan for the money once we're done and we've collected?" George questioned.

"I actually have some thoughts on that."

"Go ahead, luv." Harry said as he walked back into the room and sat beside on the sofa.

"Well, there are so many orphans because of the war. Magical England has over 195 orphans currently with nowhere to go. If homes can't be found they'll be sent to muggle orphanages. This is something I feel really strongly about. I think the money earned through the law to go towards opening a magical orphanage for children across the UK. If Harry agrees we can personally match whatever we earn and through careful fundraising and additional donations, we could make it happen. We could help all of those children." When she stopped talking she saw all four men staring at her mouths hanging open in shock. "What? You don't like the idea?"

"It's bloody brilliant Gin! I love the idea and we can definitely personally match what we earn," Harry exclaimed and kissed her on the cheek.

"The House of Longbottom will also match what we earn. I love the idea Ginny."

"Weasley's Wizard Wheeze's will donate twenty-five percent of this year's profits to it too."

"Well lass, the only thing you've left to determine is a name. Personally I think 'Potter House' has a nice ring to it."

"Nice one Seamus, I think we should put it to a vote. All in favour of the name 'Potter House' say aye."

Three shouts of, "Aye!" rang in the room as Ginny and Harry looked at each other in shock.

Finally Harry began laughing, "Guess it's called 'Potter House' luv, great idea."

Ginny smirked and joined him in laughter, "Guess so."
Reviews 9
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear