Search:

SIYE Time:4:23 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


To Protect a Family
By Jewels

- Text Size +

Category: Wanted: Dead or Alive Challenge 2012-3, Wanted: Dead Or Alive Challenge (2012-3)
Characters:None
Genres: Drama
Warnings: Death
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 9
Summary: The war is over and Harry and Ginny have moved on with their lives together. However many Death Eaters were unaccounted for at the end of the war and the family Harry's built for himself is threatened by them when they try to extract revenge. What lengths will Harry go to in order to protect his family?
Hitcount: Story Total: 8960; Chapter Total: 2431





Author's Notes:
Well the story's moving along pretty good. With any luck I'll make it before the contest deadline, however if I don't I'll still finish it off. It's been a lot of fun to write so far. Please read and review. As a new author critiques are greatly appreciated.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


The next morning Harry woke up and found Ginny curled up against him. Her head rested over his heart, her arm across his chest and their legs tangled together. Harry smiled. He loved waking up every morning with Ginny. Together they could do anything. He reached down and caressed her stomach thinking about their baby. He heard Teddy's happy gurgles coming through the monitor and realized his godson had probably woken him. He kissed Ginny on top of her head and carefully worked his way out of the bed. Ginny mumbled in her sleep, but cuddled down as he re-arranged the comforter around her and softly stroked her fiery tresses off her face. Harry threw on a pair of jeans and walked down the hall to his godson's room. "Good morning Teddy," Harry said as he smiled brightly at the baby and leaned over the crib to pick him up.

Teddy smiled and squealed at Harry while his hair rapidly changed from turquoise to black. He settled contently in his godfather's arms as Harry carried him down to the kitchen. He put the kettle on and warmed up Teddy's bottle. After pouring a bowl of cereal and cup of tea he took his breakfast and Teddy's bottle to the sofa and began to feed Teddy his bottle. Teddy tried to help hold it himself and Harry chuckled at his godson warmly as he sipped his tea. After breakfast Harry put a fresh banishing diaper on Teddy and got him dressed. Harry and Teddy were playing aeroplane when Ginny came in and started laughing when she saw them. Smiling she walked over to her boys and gave them each a kiss before heading to the kitchen for a cup of tea.

Harry placed Teddy in his playpen with his wolf stuffy and toy snitch before heading up stairs to get dressed for work. A few minutes later he was back downstairs and kissing Ginny good morning. "Can I make you anything to eat Harry before you go?"

"No thanks baby, I had some cereal already."

"Did you decide what you're going to do?" she asked quietly as she drew circles on his chest.

Harry smiled lovingly at her and pulled her closer into his embrace. "Yep. Knowing how you feel and with the baby on the way there's really only one course of action. I don't want to be an Auror anymore and I don't want you and our family to worry or be in danger. I'm going to hand in my resignation to Kingsley and Gawain Robards today. Then I'm going to come home spend some time with my beautiful wife and wonderful godson. I love you baby."

Ginny squealed and hugged him fiercely before claiming his lips in a searing kiss. "Oh Harry, I'm so happy! Thank you! I love you so much and I can't wait till get home." Harry sported a dazed look on his face as Ginny pulled back from another passionate kiss. "Go luv, the sooner you resign the sooner you can come home to us."

Harry chuckled. "That's all the incentive I need. I'll be home as soon as I can Gin." After one more quick kiss Harry walked over to Teddy ruffled his hair and kissed him good bye before flooing to the ministry.

Harry tripped out of the floo, but managed to catch himself at the last second. "Ruddy floo," he murmured as he made his way towards the Auror offices.

"Harry-mate, what has you in such a good mood?" Seamus questioned with a cocked eyebrow.

"Two-right Seamus, I don't believe we've seen Harry smile like that since his wedding. Something you'd like to share with us mate?" Neville added while lightly chuckling.

Harry's smile threatened to burst from his face. "Well, you already know I have the love of a good woman, so I guess the only thing I have to add is that I'm resigning from the Auror office. I'm not happy here. I've changed and this isn't what I want anymore."

Shocked silence met his announcement and it was several minutes before Neville responded. "Good for you Harry. I've been thinking about it a lot myself, but haven't decided yet."

"Me too," Seamus quietly added. "You're right we have changed. It isn't what I expected or maybe I just expected to like it more." Neville nodded in agreement. "Any idea what you're going to do Harry?" Seamus continued.

"No, I have lots of ideas but nothing concrete. I think I'm going to take some time off and spend it with Gin and Teddy. Andi will be back soon, but Gin and I want to be there and help her with Teddy as much as possible. It's been great having him while she got away for a bit so maybe all of us will do some travelling together when she gets back. Anyway, I should go and tell Gawain and then let Kingsley know. Gin's waiting on me." Harry's smile lit up again when he mentioned his wife. "We'll have you guys over for dinner soon, take care."

Seamus and Neville took turns slapping him on the back and wishing him luck as he headed for the Head-Auror office. Harry knocked on the door and entered when Gawain gave him the okay.

"Morning Potter, what can I do for you?" Gawain asked brusquely.

"Well Gawain, I'm here to turn in my resignation. This isn't what I want to do anymore."

Robard's mouth dropped open and a pregnant silence filled the air before he composed himself. "Very well Potter. I'd hate to lose you, but if that's your decision then I'm not going to try to change your mind. Good luck," Gawain stated before promptly returning to the paper work on his desk effectively dismissing Harry.

Harry left the office and headed up to the Minister's office only to be told Kingsley was in a meeting that would last all morning. Not wanting to wait around, Harry sealed his resignation letter and explanation and handed it to the secretary to deliver when the meeting ended. That done, Harry decided to swing by Quality Quidditch Supplies on his way home and pick himself up a new broom since he had never replaced his firebolt from the war. With all the extra free time he was going to have, a broom would be a worthwhile purchase and he couldn't wait to take Teddy for his first broom ride. Grinning ear to ear he made his way to the apparation point and disappeared with a soft pop.

********************************

After Harry left for the Ministry, Ginny tidied up the kitchen and started a load of laundry. Checking on Teddy and seeing that he had drifted off to sleep, she decided to have a quick shower and dress for the day. Not knowing how long Harry would be she decided to put Teddy in the snuggly and head out into the back yard to work in their garden. A few minutes later their front door exploded in a shower of splintered wood caused by an extremely powerful reducto curse. Ginny's head snapped up at the sound and she saw people streaming into her home. She quickly cast a disillusion spell on herself and Teddy and then a silencing spell on Teddy and her feet. Her heart was pounding in her chest, but after her last year at Hogwarts those spells were second nature and one of her main survival tactics. Inside her home was being destroyed as they searched for her and while she normally would have started an offensive attack, Ginny knew she couldn't while she had Teddy with her and she was greatly out numbered to boot. Ginny took a few deep breaths to control her nerves and then tried to figure out the best way to get help. Harry would be here soon and she didn't want him coming into this alone or unprepared. He wouldn't know where she or Teddy were and that would make him reckless. Finally deciding what to do, Ginny looked to see if anyone was looking her way and then silently sent a message to Harry with her patronus. Unfortunately someone from the upper floor saw the ghostly image and spells immediately began raining down in her vicinity. Ginny threw up a shield and tried to move away without giving up her position. Having Teddy strapped to her limited her movement and ability to duck and dodge spells. Trying to remain invisible was their only chance, but that was proving nearly impossible with the amount of spells being thrown her way. Her shield collapsed for the third time only she was unable to get it back up before being clipped by a diffindo curse that grazed her left arm, leaving a gash from her elbow to shoulder. She cried out and blood started to drip heavily from the fresh wound. At that point the disillusionment spell gave out and Ginny found herself visible and surrounded in a semi-circle of death eaters.

"My, what a pretty little wife Potter managed to land himself. We're going to have some fun, Pretty, and send a message to your half-blood husband." The death eaters laughed insanely and the silencing charm on Teddy wore off allowing his cries to join their laughter.

A purple spell was sent her way only to be stopped by her quickly erected shield. Again she was bombarded with spells until her shield broke from a reducto curse that shattered her right knee causing her to scream out again and fall to her side striking her right temple against the ground. She gripped her wand firmly and fought to remain conscious while her head swam with pain.

"We'll have our revenge for our Lord. Potter will be made to suffer, to lose everything he holds dear to him just as we have. We the Dark Lord's most faithful and devoted are going to destroy him." Maniacal laughter greeted his announcement and a crucio was thrown towards her and the infant.

Ginny wrapped her arms around Teddy to cover him the best she could and closed her eyes, bracing herself for the pain that was sure to come. She couldn't move and there was nothing to summon quick enough to intercept the spell. She only prayed it wouldn't hurt her baby.

**********************************

Harry had just finished paying for the two new firebolts he had decided to buy for him and Gin when a horse patronus appeared in front of him and Ginny's voice became audible. "Harry, Teddy and I are in the back yard, safe and hiding, but you need to alert the Aurors and get home because we're under attack by death eaters and completely outnumbered. Hurry Harry, I love you."

Panic began to consume him as he heard her message. Ginny and Teddy were in trouble. They needed him. He quickly sent off patronus messages to Neville, Seamus, Robards, and Kingsley then disillusioned himself and apparated straight to their back yard. His heart nearly stopped at the sight that met him when he appeared. His wife visible and bloodied laying on the ground and trying to protect Teddy while a crucio was fired at her. Harry immediately conjured a wall to take the spell which exploded on impact and sent debris bouncing off his young family. Before the Death Eaters had time to react Harry went on the offensive and began hurling lethal spells with deadly accuracy. Within moments spells were being flung at the death eaters from the house too as the Aurors began to arrive. Noticing they were out numbered the death eaters quickly apparated away leaving the two Harry murdered and one injured behind.

Harry ran over to his wife and collapsed on the ground beside her. "Ginny!" he cried. "Oh baby it's going to be okay, I'm here luv," tears poured down Harry's face as he stroked her cheek and then removed Teddy from his wife's arms.

Ginny looked at her husband, a brief smile gracing her face before promptly passing out.

Neville ran over with an emergency portkey for St. Mungo's and handed it to Harry. "Go mate, we'll take care of everything here."

Harry nodded, held Teddy tightly and grabbed Ginny before activating the portkey.

When they arrived in St. Mungo's Harry instantly began yelling for help. Two healers and an assistant answered his call and they were rushed into an examination room. Teddy continued to scream and Harry tired to soothe him while checking him for injuries. When none were found he continued to comfort his godson while looking worriedly over at his wife. Even though she unconscious her wand was still tightly clasped in right hand. He stroked her face while the healers began healing her injuries and shoved potions down her throat.

"I'm Healer Gray. Are you a relation to the young lady?"

"She's my wife." Harry choked out his eyes brimming with tears. "Is she going to be okay?"

"She's quite a mess, but she'll be fine in a few days. How did this happen?"

"Death Eaters attacked our home looking for revenge. How about the baby is it okay too?" Harry quietly asked half afraid of the answer. He had no idea what Ginny had been hit with before he arrived and the thought of anything happening to his child caused bile to rise up in his throat.

Healer Gray's eyes widened and he quickly scanned Ginny's stomach. After a few moments he turned back to Harry, "Your baby is fine. It seems healthy and strong," he said with a smile.

Harry let out the breath he hadn't realized he was holding and sank onto the bed beside his wife. Teddy was sleeping contently against his shoulder, soft sniffles punctuating the air. Harry placed his arm behind her head and gently cuddled her to his chest as he cried in relief.

The assistant Healer walked over to him after a few moments with a clipboard full of forms. "Sir, I'm sorry to interrupt, but I really need you to fill out these forms for your wife."

Harry took a deep shuddering breath, kissed his wife and then turned to the young woman, "Of course, just let me get my godson settled." Harry got up and conjured a play pen, adding a couple of cushioning charms and then carefully placed Teddy in it without waking him. With that done he pulled a seat over to his wife's bed and sat down ready to fill out the forms. Once he was finished he handed them back to the assistant and she left the room. Harry held Ginny's hand and gently coaxed her into releasing her wand. He placed it on the side table and softly poured his heart out to her.

Ten minutes later Healer Gray re-entered the room. "Your wife's knee cap is shattered Mr. Potter, so we're going to give her skele-grow. She's going to be in rough shape till tomorrow morning and will probably feel pretty tender for about a week."

"I understand Healer Gray. I'm not going anywhere."

**********************************

Later that evening, Harry was awakened from his nap by a knocking at the door. As he sat up, the door opened and in walked Neville and Seamus. "How's she doing Harry?" Neville asked.

"She's going to be alright. They healed the cut on her arm right away and gave her a couple blood replenishing potions. She's got a shattered knee cap which she's re-growing right now with skele-grow and a slight concussion from when her temple hit the ground when she fell. The Healer said she'll be mostly healed by tomorrow, but tender for the next week. Thanks for getting there so quickly, I couldn't have protected her for much longer. We were so outnumbered."

"No problem Harry," said Seamus. "Any time, and I mean that. Just ask and we'll be there."

"Thanks Seamus." Harry looked down at Ginny and lovingly caressed her belly. "I almost lost my family today. They could have killed her or Teddy or our baby." Their breaths hitched at the mention of a baby and Harry glanced at them with a tortured look on his face. "We only found out about the baby last night." Harry glanced down and continued to caress his wife's stomach. "They went after my family," he gritted out through clenched teeth, anger replacing his anguish. "The bloody war is over, we're supposed to be safe!"

Silence descended the room for a few moments before Harry turned and conjured a couple chairs for them, silently offering for them to join him. Once they were seated Harry softly spoke, "So who's going to fill me in?"

The two young men looked at each other and Neville began to speak, "We found two dead death eaters and one seriously injured. A good chunk of the house was destroyed, but we've managed to repair most of it. With any luck they'll be finished by tonight. Kingsley is going spare and has over-ruled any Aurors from using the valid Dead or Alive law. He hasn't managed to overturn it, but since he's the Minister and the Aurors work for the Ministry he can limit our power."

"Bloody dragon dung is what it is!" shouted Seamus.

"Getting upset isn't going to change it Seamus," Neville reminded him. "Besides it's not like we have to worry about it anymore," he added with a smirk.

Harry looked on confusedly while a feral grin spread across his mates' faces. "What do you mean guys?"

"We no longer work for the ministry, Harry."

"Yep, turned in our resignation as soon as we got back to the office. Neither of us was happy there and we figured you were going to need our help."

Chuckling Seamus shook his head at the expression on Harry's face. "Harry-mate we both saw the look in your eyes when we showed up. They threatened your family."

"We know what you're going to do Harry, but you're going to need help. We're your mates. We love you and Gin and we want in on whatever you're planning."

"Nicely said Neville," Seamus said while cocking an eyebrow at Harry. "Well, what do you say mate?"

Harry looked from one to other and then glanced at his wife and godson. Turning back to face his mates his face held a calm relaxed expression. "Thanks guys. Let's meet tomorrow night. Gin will want to be part of it. I'll key you into the wards so you can floo in. I'll be putting our place on lockdown before I bring my family back there."

"You got it Harry. See you tomorrow." Neville and Seamus both stood, vanished their chairs and took their leave. Tomorrow would be the start of something big.
Reviews 9
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear