Search:

SIYE Time:1:40 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Keep It Together
By CLee

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley
Genres: Angst, Fluff, General, Romance
Warnings: Mild Sexual Situations
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 7
Summary: The night of the wedding Ginny decides to show Harry a different side of her, one he won't forget.

This story was written way before Deathly Hallows was released. I've just now found the courage to post it. Like many other writers, I wanted to write a happy ending for Harry and Ginny. This is my take of a memorable night.
Hitcount: Story Total: 6132



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.





ChapterPrinter


Keep It Together

“But mum, it has ruffles!” Ginny Weasley tossed unruly long red strands of hair over her shoulder as she huffed herself up to 5’1” of defiance. Although small in stature, Ginny could be quite imposing when she was angered. To nearly everyone except her mother that is.

“I don’t care young lady. This is your brother’s wedding. You will wear the robes!” Molly Weasley proclaimed, drawing herself up as well.

Oh my. Here we go, thought Hermione as she watched from the sidelines. No one in their right mind stepped between Ginny and her mother during an argument. No one, except Mr. Weasley, and maybe Harry. Unfortunately, Harry was still at Privet Drive, Ron being with him. For just a few more hours, she sighed. And as for Mr. Weasley, Order business and security concerns for the wedding kept him away more often than not.

The wedding in question was scheduled to take place tomorrow. The entire Weasley family, a few close friends, The Order of the Phoenix, and of course Harry and Hermione, would all be there. Hermione had chosen to return to the Burrow after spending the first part of her summer with Harry and Ron in Little Whinging. She reasoned that Mrs. Weasley would need her help planning and organizing Bill and Fleur’s wedding. And of course she wanted to check on Ginny. Make sure her friend was prepared to handle being around Harry again after their breakup.

Assuming we make it through tonight in one piece. Hermione thought to herself as she watched the escalating confrontation taking place in front of her.

“You will wear these robes, exactly as they are, during the wedding! Are we clear?!!” shouted Mrs. Weasley.

Quite suddenly, Ginny went very, very still. In a slow, deliberate movement, she shook her head once. “Yes mum.”

Mrs. Weasley stared at her youngest child. Not quite believing that she had agreed at last. Holding her gaze for a full minute, she at last turned to the doorway of Ginny’s room. “Well, all right then.” Mrs. Weasley seemed a bit flustered for a moment. She turned back to Ginny as she stood in the doorway, looking as if she expected another argument. When Ginny said nothing, she smiled at the girls, bid them goodnight, and shut the door.

Hermione faced Ginny full on so that she could question Ginny’s about face. What she saw was a cold, calculating, blue flame fire in her friend’s normally warm brown eyes.

“Oh no.” Was all that Hermione said.

Ginny smiled and quietly said “Mum said that I have to wear these robes for the wedding, exactly as they are. She said nothing about after…”




The day of the wedding dawned bright and early upon the burrow. Not that anyone was allowed a moment to watch the sun rise. Mrs. Weasley went from room to room, magically making the beds after first dumping their human contents on to the floor. After such treatment, it wasn’t long before all the occupants were up and down to the kitchen for breakfast.

Ginny was no exception. She sat at the table, bleary eyed and yawning after having spent many hours after the rest of the house had settled to sleep, pouring over old Witch Weekly’s style section until she found what she was looking for. The picture she finally snipped was tucked away in her top bureau drawer for later. After the wedding…

Just as Ginny was pouring her juice, there was a knock on the back door. Charlie, in town for the festivities, pulled out his wand and went to answer it. After a few muffled words, he opened the door to reveal a very happy and smiling Ron, as well as a very tired but relieved looking Harry, escorted by Mr. Weasley and Tonks.

There was a high pitched squeal and then a streak of bushy brown sped toward Ron and Harry, hugging them in turn.

“It’s great to see you too Hermione,” exclaimed Harry as he unwrapped her arms from around his neck. She quickly turned and hugged Ron for a second time, much to the amusement of his family members watching from the table. Everyone except Ginny. She was watching Harry. And Harry, he seemed to look everywhere but at her. Mrs. Weasley bustled over to the boys, shooing them to empty seats at the table.

Hermione kept up non stop prattle about the events at the burrow, questions about events at Privet Drive, etc. Ron answered back as he could, despite stuffing his face with eggs and kippers, browns, and sausage. Harry’s answers were mostly shakes or nods of his head as he too devoured his breakfast, which he did without looking in Ginny’s direction.

After a few moments, Ginny stood up from the table, intending a quiet retreat only to be stopped by her father.

“What’s the matter Gin-Gin? Not hungry?”

She quietly turned to look at her father, keeping her eyes from Harry’s corner of the table.

“No, I’m not really hungry. Thought I would get a start. Loads to do today.” With that she turned back and headed up the stairs, entirely unaware that a pair of sparkling green eyes were at last following her every movement.




It was amazing how many ways two teenagers could avoid each other if they wished. With food to prepare, a house and yard to decorate, and a garden to de gnome, Harry and Ginny managed to avoid each other the entire day. Harry was finally starting to relax. Seeing Ginny at breakfast had been harder than he thought it would be. She had been so pale and sad looking. Dark circles marred her freckled ivory skin, just under her eyes. He would bet that she hadn’t been sleeping well. He had felt her gaze upon him in those few moments before she left the kitchen. It had taken all of his will power to avoid meeting her gaze. But somehow, he had held out. Maybe he could get through this wedding after all.

Currently Harry was slouched in his seat, next to Ron and Hermione, and surrounded by Order members who had casually wandered to seats that completely surrounded the trio. Harry almost snorted as he watched Tonks try to appear casual as she meandered to the last remaining chair making up the Trio’s perimeter. She nearly made it before tripping over an older witch’s parasol and falling flat on her face. Glancing around, Harry noticed that the other order members pretended not to notice although he did catch Shacklebolt rolling his eyes.

Up in the front stood Bill, looking dashing is his black formal robes; hair pulled back and secured in a ponytail. The scars from Greyback’s attack were not an angry red anymore; although, nothing would make them disappear. His hands were clasped in front of him and he rocked back and forth on the balls of his feet. Next to Bill stood Charlie, also in a set of pristine black dress robes. Although, his were set off with a pair of black leather dragon hide boots. He, in contrast to Bill, seemed very relaxed, almost bored. Despite his outward demeanor, Harry did notice that Charlie’s eyes were very alert and examined every witch and wizard who arrived.

The twins, Fred and George, were currently on the best, most gallant behavior. They were escorting the arriving guests to their seats under the watchful eye of Mrs. Weasley. Mr. Wesley was shaking hands and greeting those arriving at the designated apparition area. Only Percy Weasley was not present. He had simply not responded to his mothers’ invitation and attached letter. A fact that brought sadness to Molly Weasley’s eyes and was discussed by her children in low, angry voices after she had left the room.

Ginny was also not present of course. She was currently inside the burrow, getting ready for her place in the bridal party. Fleur had asked Gabrielle and Ginny to be bridesmaids at the wedding. Harry’s mind wandered to how he thought Ginny would look in her bridesmaid’s dress. And then the dress shifted in his mind to a long flowing white concoction with lace and pearls and a long row of tiny buttons in the back. Buttons that he would undo one by one on their wedding night…

The first strains of the bridal march rudely interrupted Harry’s daydream. In a way it was a relief as Harry had forbidden himself to even think of Ginny in that way until after the war was finished. He reminded himself that he could get through this wedding and be on his way. And he would be able to take the vision of a sweetly smiling Ginny in beautiful robes with him on his journey.

The guests all stood as the bridal party began their parade. Ginny was the first to come out of the burrow. And she did not look happy.




Ginny Weasley was not happy. All day long she had avoided Harry as they did the many overwhelming chores before the wedding. And then Fleur had arrived with Gabrielle, and Ginny had been whisked away into Bill’s old room to get ready for the wedding. Fleur had brought an army of beauty witches and wizards to assist in the preparations. Ginny was poked and prodded, curled and made up, and then stuffed into her ghastly ruffled gold robes. And now she was walking down the aisle in the Burrow’s backyard, with the man of her dreams, the love of her life, standing in the crowd, and she looked like a muggle princess! This is not how she wanted him to see her! Just for once, she wanted him to see her as the woman she was becoming. Not the little girl everyone else thought of her as!

But, as this was Bill’s wedding, and Ginny would do anything for Bill, she stiffened her spine, held up her head, and proudly walked down that aisle. After all, her time was coming. Soon. And with that thought Ginny Weasley smiled. But there was nothing sweet about her smile.




Soft, slow music drifted from the wizard wireless, magically amplified to be heard all over the burrow and down to the pond. Fireflies danced around and fairies lighted every corner and bush. This is what they mean by a magical night thought Harry as he watched from a corner table as Bill and Fleur whirled around the dance floor one last time before departing for an unknown honeymoon destination. Once again Harry’s eyes drifted around the room looking for the elusive site of Ginny’s red hair and golden robes. Still not there. Harry was positive. After all, if she had been, he would have felt her. Where was she? He shifted once again in his seat. It’s not like her to just disappear. He would have worried except that Hermione has vanished also. And Ron wasn’t worried. He had just shrugged off Harry’s questions and told him that the girls had something to do. If she didn’t return soon, she would miss Bill and Fleur’s departure.

But he needn’t have worried. At that moment, the constant chatter had stopped for just a second before picking up again at a renewed rate and volume. Heads turned, jaws dropped. Harry turned also, momentarily forgetting his search. Stepping out onto the Burrow’s back lawn was Hermione, and an unearthly goddess. Said goddess had fiery long red hair, pale almost luminescent skin, and long gossamer legs revealed beneath mid thigh length golden robes.

“Ginny” he breathed into the night air.

But this was not the Ginny he had known. This woman was not a child. Her eyes sparkled with mischief and laughter. Her hair was flowing and curl free. Her dress seemed molded to her shape, and what a shape it was. There were no ruffles in sight! And best of all, her lips were slightly curled as if she knew the sensations she caused and craved it.

She was breathtaking.

Harry automatically started forward, not thinking, just reacting. Only to find his way was blocked by other men who had the same reaction. This gave Harry just enough time to remember why he had pushed her away. Why it was so important to keep her safe. A few deep breaths later and a whole lot of “Keep it together.” Mantras inside of his head, and Harry stepped back into the shadows.




Ginny felt lightheaded. She knew she looked good. Not as good as the magazine model from the picture she had clipped, but bloody hell she was giving it her best. Ginny knew the trio was leaving after tonight. And so help her she was going to give Harry a memory of her that he would not be able to forget.

With a squeeze on the arm of her best friend and conspirator, Hermione, she headed off in search of her prey, giving her friend a chance to deal with an outraged Ron. However, before she could get very far, she found her way blocked by a barrage of admirers. Not seeing a shock of messy black hair in the lot, she swallowed her disappointment and instead, produced a radiant smile. She accepted the offer of a dance from the nearest extended hand and moved to the floor. If she hadn’t gotten his attention yet, she would now.




What the hell was Ginny doing dancing with that French git? They were too close. Too bloody close. Now what did he think he was doing with that hand? No bloody way! Now wait... she had spun herself out of the git’s arms into the arms of another git. Now THEY were too close. And why is she smiling like that?

“Keep it together. Keep it together.”

Harry’s mantra repeated in his head over and over. But its volume decreased with the increasing volume of his own heart pumping a primal rhythm of rage. And yet he was able to keep from leaping through the crowd and beating the wanker into the ground. That is until she spun into the arms of git number three who tightened his arms around Ginny's waist and hitched her leg up over his hip. Weasley brothers from various sections of the dance floor were suddenly on the move. But they needn't have bothered really.

Without consciously knowing what he was doing, Harry had stepped forward. His hands came out, slightly from his side, his fingers fanned open. He took another step. Revelers moved out of his way. At first it was simply a response to the dangerous look on Harry's face. It was if the crowd parted with a knife. But as the amount of people thickened, the closer he got to Ginny, Harry’s hands lifted higher from his sides. His fingers flexed so hard that the veins in his hands stood out. Those standing in Harry’s way felt themselves lifted and moved out of his way. And to the astonished eyes of those who watched from the sidelines, this was done with no wand in his hand, no words from his lips. It didn’t seem as if Harry himself knew what he was doing.

Voices hushed as guests turned to watch the show. Harry stalked across the dance floor, a man with a purpose, only stopping once he had reached her side. Without even glancing in the direction of her hapless dance partner, he was thrown to the side with a flick of Harry's wrist, right into the arms of George and Fred, who smiled at him in a wholly evil manner.

Admist gasps of surprise and the urgent whispers surrounding them, Ginny was very calm. In fact, she wasn't surprised by Harry's actions at all. She simply looked into his eyes as he looked into hers. Like opponents in a fighting ring, they circled each other, never breaking eye contact. In one smooth move Harry reached for Ginny. He brought her closer until their bodies were flush, their eyes still locked hungrily upon each other. They began to dance, audience completely forgotten.

Harry grasped her waist and held on with a heated urgency. Ginny could feel pure heat radiating from his body through the thin silk of her altered dress robes. His normally cool green eyes seemed to shift and flow as though made up of liquid luck. And the full power of his stare never wavered from her eyes. But Ginny was not frightened. She was enflamed.

Now that she had his undivided attention Ginny decided to push it further. Their bodies were entwined from just above the waist to their feet. The song's thumping rhythm penetrated every pore of her body, pumping the blood harder and faster through her veins. Even the lanterns surrounding the dance area pulsated in time with the beat. It was now or never. Ginny purposely added an extra swing of her hips to the dance steps, making sure she remained in full contact.

Harry gasped a sharp heated breath and a decidedly Weasley blush crept above the neckline of his dress robes. Ginny felt his hands dip even further below her waist, inching down over the curve of her bottom. His lips were now incredibly close to her mouth. Ginny knew then that Harry would never again think of her as a little girl in ruffled robes, he finally saw her as a woman. Unfortunately, her brothers had also realized this. Ginny saw flashes of red moving through the crowd.

"We need to go for a walk Harry." she told him, her voice low and husky.

He nodded and grabbed her hand, pulling her through the crowd and into the bracingly cool evening air. They ran through the trees to the small pond behind the Burrow. Sounds from the party faded away leaving singing crickets and the croaking of frogs from the pond. They stopped at the edge of the water next to a large tree. Harry swung Ginny around so her back was against the trunk of the tree. And before she could say a word, he covered her mouth with his. At first she was cheering him on and mentally giving herself a hi-five. But a tiny little worm of conscience wriggled and squirmed it's way out from under the mental pillow she was trying to smother it with.

He broke up with you... He doesn't want you anymore... He's going to leave you...

Ginny turned her head to the side and broke the kiss. Harry simply began kissing her neck right below her earlobe and rendering Ginny completely and wonderfully dizzy.

"Harry, we need to stop." she managed with great difficulty.

Harry stopped moving his lips only to put his head against her neck where his breath skittered across her skin causing goosebumps to pop up across her body. He stayed that way for a few very long and torturous minutes while Ginny heard him struggle to get his breathing slowed down. Finally, he raised his head and Ginny immediately felt the loss of heat. He stepped away and the cool air that was once refreshing suddenly turned chilly. He lifted his head and once again pierced her with his gaze.

"What can't do this. We broke up. Remember?" she whispered into the void between them.

Harry ran his hands through his hair, not caring that he was ruining the effect of his carefully applied Sleekeazy hair application, borrowed from Ron for the occasion. Not that it had managed to tame his hair much Ginny thought with an inner smile. She wanted to reach up and help him smooth his hair down. But she kept a mental hold on her instincts. She was not his girlfriend. And that a decision she had been given no say in. In fact, he hadn't even talked to her about it. Ginny felt he last of her desire slide into another passionate emotion, pure anger.

"And what the hell was that Harry? I was enjoying myself in there and you had to get all mental and possessive. I'm NOT yours! You gave up that right. Remember?" her sudden tirade started out soft but slowly gained in momentum and volume. The last word was punctuated with Ginny's finger in Harry's face and her voice a bit on the screechy side and loaded with emotion. Months of confusion, sadness, anger, and therapeutic talks with Hermione blazed to life in Ginny's turbulent brown eyes.

"You're right." the whisper barely reached Ginny's ears.

"What?"

"I said you're right Gin." Harry finally met Ginny's eyes. Where hers had been hard and blazing, his were soft and hurt. "I told myself I could get through this wedding, seeing you, without hurting you anymore. But then I saw you dancing so freely with those blokes, and looking like that..."

"Like what Harry?"

"Like you know, THAT. I mean, you were pretty in your dress robes during the wedding, but when you came out of the house after ...wow. You looked incredible. I mean, you look incredible." She felt his gaze rake over her form and just barely stopped herself from preening.

Ginny smiled a bit. "Thanks Harry". She moved a step closer.

"I know we broke up Ginny. And I know you don't understand them, but I do have my reasons. Believe me, if I could change things, I would. I would never give you up. I've been avoiding you today because I didn't want to cause you anymore pain. And then I saw you, looking like you do, and dancing with all those guys..."

Ginny could see the emotion wash over Harry's eyes which was in stark contrast to the liquid power gaze from the dance floor scene. It was like the magic had taken him over back then but now he was just Harry. Sad Harry. Her Harry. She took another step closer.

"I was enjoying myself...at my brother's wedding Harry. Despite what I've said about Phlegm I'm really happy for Bill. He's really happy. And I want to be happy too."

"I understand Ginny, but..."

"No Harry, I'm not finished." Ginny interrupted.

"We all know what's coming, everyone here knows. And the way I see it, we can worry and spend our time hiding and scared, or we can enjoy our time and fight Voldemort with the things he has never had; love, and family, and happiness!" Each declaration was punctuated with a step, bringing Ginny within a breath of Harry's face.

She watched the struggle taking place in Harry's expression.

It's a good thing he's not a poker player...he would never win with that poker face.

A few silent moments passed before Harry reached up and placed his hand against Ginny's cheek. "Ah Ginny..." he whispered before gently touching his lips to hers.

Their last kiss was all passion. This one was full of tenderness and swirling emotion. Ginny clung to Harry, grasping first his shoulders and then his neck as if she was afraid to let go. When they parted, Harry leaned his forehead against hers.

"You know I still have to go, don't you?" he breathed.

"Yes Harry, I know. And I understand. Just don't forget what's waiting for you, yeah?" She felt herself close to tears, knowing this would be the last time they spoke in a long time.

"I won't forget Ginny. You keep me together."
Reviews 7
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear