Search:

SIYE Time:0:00 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


At Night She Spreads Her Wings (or, Amazon Warrior Dreams)
By AoiKazeToMidoriAme

- Text Size +

Category: Girl Talk Challenge (2010-3), Girl Talk Challenge (2010-3)
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, James Potter, Lily Potter, Luna Lovegood, Neville Longbottom
Genres: General, Humor, Romance
Warnings: Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 11
Summary: Ginny has been watching and wanting Harry for as long as she can remember. So has Harry's mother. And she's now tired of watching them both doing nothing fast. Its time to watch them Spread Their Wings. Its time for Amazon Warrior Dreams.
Hitcount: Story Total: 8495; Chapter Total: 2233





Author's Notes:
This is chapter two. Hopefully it is much more polished that the first chapter was when it his validation. Chapter's 3-5 should be coming fast and furious, hopefully very shortly. This one took much longer than I planned, but it is also much longer than I planned. Hope you enjoy it.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter Two: Of Love and War: Where Naught is Fair (prt. 1 Love)



It was only hours later, as she lay in her quiet four poster, her room mates having long ago drifted off into dreaming, that Ginny began to be less impressed with their late night talk. Doubtless, it did of course mean something wonderful the way he’d spoken to her frankly and seriously. The way he’d pledged that he’d keep her safe because he couldn’t stand to lose her belonged to that knight in shining armour he’d never known he was. She doubted he’d ever come to understand that. He’d always been her knight though. At first it was in her childhood daydreams and then, later, he slew a pair of very real dragons over her lifeless form.

No, the problem was the very beauty of those words, the magnetic and magical quality of his eyes earlier that night made her imagination, once again, go into overdrive. She couldn’t stop thinking about it. Did he mean those things as she did? Could he? Would he ever turn a conversation they’d had over and over hours later when he ought to be in bed; searching for any hidden meanings, any signs that it could mean she felt for him as he felt for her? She doubted it. But she wanted it, and the want outweighed the doubt so significantly that it seemed to balance with reason.

After all, it wasn’t long ago that the two of them were holding hands in Hogsmeade, even if Hermione’s take on that date was true, and Harry had been left bewildered, confused, and alone by the end. But they had kissed, apparently, in the room of requirement after the D.A. met one night. Was that kiss so clumsy as to be dismissed so easily? Ginny hoped so. She knew she’d be dismissing Michael shortly. After all, she doubted she could look him in the eyes after the route her mind would be taking anytime they were in a dark or quiet place together.

She was quite suddenly utterly fed up. Fed up with Harry’s rare but confusing attentions and fed up with her own interpretations. Mostly, she was fed up with herself and her inability to get him off her mind. The way the fire lit up his eyes, or the feel of her body against his in the dark. She knew his the feel of his lean but firm form would dominate her dreams for weeks to come. She wanted those abdominals under her finger tips once more and she was sure she’d wake aching for them more than a few times before term was out. She was suddenly far too frustrated as she realized even in her anger at him he drove her thoughts, heart, and hormones wild.

“Dammit!“ She cursed her randy nature, her frustration, and herself. Finally, she cursed him and his confusion, loudly. “Dammit Potter!” Her frustration spent, and her room mates possibly now awake, she let the tension sap from her as she fell asleep whispering, “Bloody hell, just what am I going to do with you Potter.”


……………………………….......
Darkness closed it seemed with only the briefest surcease. Soon morning seem to come with blinding clarity. Morning, and a beautiful, tinkling, melodious chuckle. Ginny cursed whoever that was. It was always that way with other girls, them and their stupid bloody beautiful giggles. She bet Harry would like the sound of that laugh, it sounded just like his rare bursts of mirth. Maybe they would get together and make beautiful laughing baby Harry’s.

The laugh came again, bright and melodious. Ginny cursed it silently in her mind, and tried to roll over, deeper into the blessed covers. Suddenly, a voice echoed out from behind her turned back.

“You’re right, in a way you know. That is part of the reason Potter and I finally got together. That and I spent one too many nights falling asleep just as you did, with a curse against him on my lips. We even named our child Harry.” Ginny’s eyes snapped open. She did not know what was going on, but she did not like it. And that, that possibly meant it was probably time to solve it with a well placed curse. You did not wake Ginny Weasley up with a silly stupid laugh, read her mind, then talk about having had babies with Harry Potter. Oh, they would regret their loudness in the morning, Gryffindor was about to have one less girl. She sat up and rolled over, but as she did, the laugh echoed out again as she reached for her wand. The brightness really was blinding.

“Well, I’m afraid you’re wrong there. You see, it wasn’t Harry I had babies with.” The laugh burst forth in another melodious giggle. It sounded far, far too happy for this early in the morning. The rest Ginny would work out once her wand was in her hand. She groped for it again.

“It was his father. And you are asleep dear. This is a dream.” The voice paused as Ginny’s eyes began to clear out the blurs. Everything seemed to be so foggy. She blinked sleepily. She wasn’t sure she could deal with something this complex right now. It was far to early. She kept groping about her desk where she thought her wand must be.

“Its in the covers dear, where you dropped it last night worrying about him.” She seemed to kindly want to refrain from using his name. Ginny turned her head towards the sound from where it had been seeking a wand like shape in the covers. Her fingers closed on the smooth wooden shaft. She thought it must be time for some answers. She’d get them one way or another. She could out curse anyone, and who ever this delusional girl was… Her thoughts trailed off as she found the source of the voice.

There stood a slim, beautiful figure. Fiery tendrils escaped from her pale and friendly yet elegant face. Her skin, unlike Ginny’s, was like living white satin, though some how also sanguine and healthy looking. It held a bright liveliness to it. Her form too was slim in an elegant way. It carried a maturity to it Ginny suddenly decided. A youthful kindness that only enhanced its attractiveness. And it was certainly attractive. Her hips were rounded in a gentle curve over her legs. Her waist dipped in over her slim hips. Her breasts rounded out her silhouette with their own perfect pert roundness. They sat tall and proud on her chest, noticeable yet somehow perfectly proportional to her long lines in a way Ginny’s had never been. She’d only just begun to be comfortable with her own young breasts recently. Ginny felt her initial surge of resentment turn a bit towards jealousy. Her foggy mind still trying to make sense of her claims. Her claim on Harry. Was a perky full rack and a nice laugh really what would win Harry over?”

“Oh, no certainly not dear. Though yours are certainly nicer than mine were at that age. Mine just never quiet had that perfect round perky shape yours do. I was always more of an awkward lanky girl. But, I suppose there are certainly at least two additional benefits to carrying around a second small person in your uterus for nine months. James certainly appreciated them. Of course,” and a smile lit her face suddenly, “James always appreciated everything about me. Was one of the things that made him so deeply difficult to resist all those years. At least, once I realized he was even more earnest than even he knew.” She smirked mischievously here, “I thought it was darling, and he hated the word. So I used it whenever I could get away with it. Especially after we’d recently made up. You an get away with things then by the way dear.” She smirked some more, and something suddenly hit Ginny all at once like a railroad car.

“You, you’re,…Harry’s mum? Lily, I mean umm, uh, Mrs. Potter?” Ginny suddenly felt rather panicked for a variety of reasons. She wasn’t sure if the most important was the fact that she was meeting Harry’s mum, whom she’d already tried to hex, the fact that Harry’s mother was apparently a master legilimens and she had a long history of thinking very dirty thoughts about her son, or the fact that she was supposed to be dead.

“We’ll have to train you up a bit in that department I think, when the time comes. Being naughty I mean. Don’t want you not getting what you want out of Harry when you get the chance.” Here she winked and Ginny was suddenly very, very self conscious.

She wasn’t quite sure what that mean, but she was sure that it was quite dirty. She thought of another, brand new reason to be alarmed. Apparently Harry’s dead mother was intent on having rather risqué girl talk time. Ginny despised “Girl Talk“, especially the kind that you just knew came in capitalized letters. In fact, this seemed rather more like The Talk, which Ginny was even less okay with. She hadn’t liked it when she got it from her own mother. Of course, her own mother made it more awkward with all kinds of strange euphemisms, which Ginny didn’t think Lily Potter seemed the type to use but…Ginny’s thoughts were suddenly interrupted with a startled confirmation.

“Oh no worries dear, we won’t be using any of those silly Molly Weasley style idioms. I prefer much more direct entendre. It is better when it is direct and up front don’t you think?” Suddenly Ginny felt herself blush as she worked on what exactly was supposed to be better “up front.” She was definitely not comfortable however, no matter what the circumstances or words used, discussing what she may or may not want to do direct and up front with Harry. Especially not with Harry’s mum.

Thankfully, Lily Potter seemed to grasp that, as she went back to Ginny’s earlier statement instead of continuing on. To answer what I think was supposed to be a question; "yes, I am Lily Potter, Harry’s dead mum. “

Ginny thought she might have gotten light-headed at this news, especially since she was apparently privy to Ginny’s thoughts, and she had earlier been having some really rather pervy ones about her son. Although strangely, she seemed remarkably okay with that actually. That didn’t quite seem to sit right, and Ginny rather thought…

“You’d be surprised what you’re okay with once you’re dead actually.” Lily Potter cut her off again. “It really rather gives you a marvelous perspective. Besides, I’ve grown rather fond of you, and I’m really rather fond of poor Harry, so I think I ought to make sure you are both as happy as is utterly possible. That means you get The Talk since James and I can’t get into his head to give it to him. Something about that stupid curse scar and old Moldy-short’s chewed up soul being around at night. James and I never were able to figure it out, but it puts off a whole lot of negative energy we can’t get through. So you, deary, get our full attentions, as poor Harry has been sadly poorly educated on the manners of pleasing women.”

Ginny decided at that moment that this must be her dream, as only she would have a dream where her long time oblivious crush’s dead mother wanted to teach her how best to have her wicked way with said boy. She also figured this seemed like an opportune time to change the subject, before she started thinking on just what her wicked way entailed and got extremely awkward pointers from this strange motherly apparition.

She settled on more questions. “Umm, where exactly are we?” There was grass all around her Gryffindor four poster, and a clear blue sky above.

“Where does it look like?” Lily’s smile was now a bit more mothering and a bit less suggestive sisterhood, though her eyes remained playful.

Ginny looked around more closely, drawing her curtains farther back on all sides. It seemed very familiar. And then her eyes found one particular tree, where she always used to lay her brother’s broom when she was tired of riding and wanted a look up at the sky. “The Burrow?” she asked.

“Very good, though you ought to know it, as it is your dream and this is where you ought to feel most comfortable. I myself have only been here a few times, though we visited the Burrow too often in the old days of the war to discuss strategy. And that, my dear, is the second reason I’m here. While you may have long longed for my son, that is not ample enough reason to bring me into your mind. I’m here because I think you two are indeed perfectly matched. Only you have shown the kind of strength Harry will need beside him in this war. While Neither James nor I can see where this battle will take him, he is destined for great hardship and strife. You, my dear Ginevra, are strong in spirit, will, love, and magic. Only someone like you can hope to love Harry like he needs yet stand shoulder to shoulder with him when the fires of war ignite. Those are coming I’m sorry to say, far too hastily. It will be every bit as bad for families like yours this time as it was the last, even if Voldemort still hides in the shadows of his own supposed death. That is a warning that would leave most scared or running, but you stand tall. That is why I am here, in this meadow of yours, ready to teach you. To teach you the twin deadly arts of love and war, for here the two are twain, and you are at the crux.”

Ginny had been concerned at her declaration of the violence of the war, yet ready to deny her fear or flight as soon as that point was breeched. Yet Lily had plowed on, leaving her feeling a bit unworthy of her praise, but proud, for she knew it was true, just as she pledged, she would be there for him, no matter what.

“That why I’m here tonight Ginny.” Lily said. “Because your pledge rang true, and because you called out my name.” Her face was gentler, her voice less force of nature and more mother nature. “Well, I suspect you were calling out at Harry, but I too am a Potter now, and I’m not picky.” She grinned again, “I used to curse Harry’s father just the same at night. It became a bit of a problem in the dorms. No one was getting any sleep. I was spitting mad at James, and the other girls were spitting mad at me.”

“In any case Ginny, if you really aim to deal with a Potter man, you’ve got to have a bit of training up. I’ll teach you just what you need to get through to Harry, and just what you need to keep each other safe. There are after all, many secrets arts only we women can comprehend.” Again her smile made Ginny think of a very sexualized spider, one about to lure it’s prey in before sinking its fangs in deep.

“An apt comparison, and I’ll teach you the same my fiery lass. I am to have grandchildren you know, Molly and I are alike in that.” Ginny was not entire sure just who the intended prey was at this point, but she rather thought she might be on the menu. Also, she was wondering when she was going to get a chance to speak. This mind reading thing had serious disadvantages, although Lily’s open expression often left little doubt as to what was going through her mind. She figured she ought to say something at this point though.

“Errr, well, thank you for what you’ve said Mrs. Potter. I won’t ever abandon him. But, I don’t understand why you think I’m worth it. I mean, I do care for him, but that doesn’t mean he sees anything in me. And, well, I don’t really want to prey on him, I want him to like me for me. I don’t think I can be anyone else, even if that’s what Harry might like.” Ginny was nervous, because she was in essence rejecting this apparition, or at least part of what it had to say. She figured she’d better hurry on before she botched this up any more. “But, err, the part about learning to fight, to keep each other safe, I’d like that. That’s important to me. I’d, um, really like it if you could teach me some of that.”

Lily Potter smiled down at her, then replied. “That, Ginny-my-girl, is exactly why I chose you. It is also precisely why Harry will too. That or I’ll have to blame his father’s genetics for the penchant to stupidity and send poor James to the spiritual doghouse with Sirius for another lifetime or so.” At Ginny’s confused and nervous look, Lilly granted her a smile and went on. “However, who you are is exactly why you are just what Harry needs, and I wouldn’t change a thing even if it wasn’t. You’re a wonderful, vibrant young fighter who will surely steal his heart. I’m going to teach you other things. Things about being a woman and getting what you want.” Her smile turned positively wicked here, and Ginny felt again she was being drawn into a much more sexual world than her mother would ever willingly allow her exposure to.

Again Lily read her thoughts though, and Ginny began to grow almost frustrated with this situation and her silent lips.

“I think however, that Molly Weasley is certainly all the mother you’ll ever need. I don’t aim to do any of her job for her. What you do need is an elder sister, and a guardian. I’ll be the elder sister, and you can become your own guardian. You’ve certainly got the power. For tonight though, I think we’ll stick mostly to confidant. You could also use someone to explain Harry a bit to you, as he’s as confusing as a boy can possibly be at times.” This last bit was spoken with a bit of an understanding grin, and Ginny felt her earlier frustrations let out in a burst of emotion.

“Yeah, I suppose I could use that too. He’s just so…” Ginny searched for the right word, “confounding. I don’t know what to do. I wish I could attract him the way Cho does. Only, sometimes, he opens up to me, and I feel like he…” she paused again, searching, “…really sees me, you know? Like its me he sees, and me that he knows he’s talking to. Like its me he wants to talk to. And then, then I think, ‘maybe he is interested, maybe he does care,’ though I suppose tonight he took care of that, he let me know he really does. Just not what that means.” It all seemed to come out in a rush for Ginny, and she wasn’t sure if any of that had been logical or intelligible, but Lily Potter once again seemed to understand.

“Boys can often be confounding, but if you want my opinion, him talking to you like that is more than poor Cho is ever likely to get. She’s too stuck in the past to ever really stay in the present with Harry. And he was never interested enough in her to share with her like that.” Lily seemed to think here, and an imaginary breeze seemed to ruffle her long white sundress. She looked so elegant.

She began again, “Ginny, did those pledges tonight mean something to you?” She waited for Ginny’s resounding mental affirmative, then continued on as Ginny shook her head, Ginny’s eyes betraying the depth to that statement’s truth. “Then as noble, honest, and good as Harry is, do you think he meant it any less?” She paused again, letting Ginny digest this.

“Don’t worry Ginny, not about things like that. I might not have been there to teach my boy honesty and virtue, but he sure learned it well from somewhere. You should never have reason to doubt him on that front. I’ve watched him many a year, and if he tells you something, it will be so. He cares too much for you to tell you lies about things such as that.” She waited for Ginny to conjure words this time, instead of just a nod.

“But,” Ginny started slowly, hesitant to let her foolish crush out to anyone and half afraid of the answer, for it would change things somehow, “but how does he mean it?” Her eyes betrayed her emotions, and Lily’s patient look gave her the courage to continue.

“When he said, ‘I couldn’t lose you like that,’ and ‘you’re important to me’ do, do you think he meant us in general, his friends and acquaintances, or, or did he mean me specifically. I just, they way he said it, it sounded like, like I was important to him, like I was especially important to him.” Ginny paused shyly again, “I, I want that, to be important to him.” She paused again, then said, with an uncharacteristic quietude that came out as something just above a whisper, “like he is to me.”

This seemed to cause Lily too to become more serious, more still. She looked out over the grounds of the clearing beside the burrow, and Ginny followed her gaze, the Burrow’s peace and familiarity of it calming her, bolstering her. Lily sat down beside her silently, almost as if she were weightless, while Ginny gazed. Ginny supposed she might be weightless, but didn’t feel brave enough to ask. After a moment of this, with them both staring into the distance, both seemingly taken aback, Lily spoke again.

“Just how is he ‘important’ to you? You care for him, yes, as more than a friend.” Ginny shook her head in the affirmative. “How much more?” Ginny stared down at her hands again, unsure how to proceed. Lily waited for her, as Ginny contemplated her hands. She’d always liked them. The fingers were sort of long, as if she were a graceful musician, except, instead of the slim elegant feminine hands, her palms were both long and wide, giving her a perfect grip on the quaffle. That was what she loved most about her hands. They never failed her, never dropped what she latched onto.

Lily interrupted her musings as she tried to reflect on the relationship between her hands and her association with Harry. “Do you love him?”

Ginny thought on that, still staring at her hands, twisting gently around each other, pulling on one another, executing a sort of slow motion dance, a courtship of one another. She imagined Harry as her left idly, and herself as the right.

Lily interrupted her again, as she avoided answering the question, avoided thinking on it too hard, wondering how much Lily Potter really could glean from her open mind. Did she love him, what was love? “Do you care for him as deeply as you do your family. If you had to give up flying forever to be with him, could you?” Ginny thought on this for a moment. She loved her family, loved them deeply. Could she distinguish between them and Harry? If they were all in trouble, would she go to Percy or Charlie over Harry, could she make a decision? She didn’t think so, that would be like cutting off her left hand. Her hand that was Harry. What about flying, if someone said she would be happy with Harry, maybe forever, if she only gave up nicking her brothers brooms for the rest of the life, could she do it? Maybe. What if Harry couldn’t fly, or they were muggles? Would it be so hard then? Somehow, thinking of Harry unable to fly took some of the thrill of it away. What would it be like not to fly, to get around as muggles did. She supposed she could always take an aero-plane. That’s what they did to fly, wasn’t it? That would be fun.

“I think that’s a yes to the first one.” Lily’s word broke her concentration.

‘Dammit!’ Ginny thought, she’d forgotten about the mind reading. Oh well, no sense hiding her thoughts.

“You care for him as you do your own family, I’d say that means you love him.” Was that love, having a brother, she didn’t feel brotherly towards Harry. Again, Lily’s words broke into her mind.

“No dear, that’s not what that means. It just means you love him, like you do your brothers, or mother, or father, or dearest friends. It doesn’t mean you are in love with him, only that you care about him. I’ve always thought there to be a subtle difference. I may love Sirius like a brother, but I’ll never be in love with him. Only time will bear out your feelings on that front with Harry. I can’t tell you what its like, I suppose its different for different people. Poets have written about it for centuries, though I’ve never found any of them to be particularly accurate. The second question though, that’s a start. What it means, is are you prepared to make sacrifices to be with Harry. Is your togetherness important enough to sacrifice some of the things that you enjoy.”

She continued on. “If the answer is yes, than maybe you’re starting to feel part of what having a loving relationship might entail sometimes. It means you’re mature enough to face hardship for the one you love. As much as some say love is about selfishness, real love never is. It is, as they say, patient and kind. Like Harry. Not that he would ever ask you to give up flying, it means enough for both of you he couldn’t do that. And he’s not like that, not selfish.”

Ginny sat and thought on that, thought for a long time. Lily Potter sat softening her dress, playing with the fabric a bit, and looking out onto the meadow. Ginny did the same, staring out across it. Her hands played with each other some more, and she even got up the nerve to study Lily Potter some more. Her face seemed real, not like a ghosts at all. She wanted to touch it, but supposed that belonged to a later time. Still, she looked so elegant. After a while, she spoke.

“Mrs. Potter, I think I understand. I guess, I guess really, I don’t know the answer to that question myself. Not yet, not completely. I don’t guess I can expect any different from Harry. We never really know ourselves, but I guess loving someone is accepting that, and accepting them the same way. I can do that. I will do that, and Harry, he’ll do the same, just like he always has. And one day, if you’re right, we’ll know exactly how we feel about each other, and suddenly that question won’t be so hard anymore, and we’ll have an answer to one another.”

Lily smiled down at her. “For the most part, yes. I think that is exactly how it happens. But, when it does, or maybe even before, you feel its effect, the wonderful marvelous effect of being in love. And its extraordinary. It makes you feel as if anything is possible together. Except, in your case, with Harry, as extraordinary as you are, I think it just might be. And that, perhaps, will be important. You have a long road before you, and for that road to start, so must we.”

She sat up abruptly with this, and strode into the meadow. “Now its time for all this mushy stuff to be over with, and the spells to start a-flyin.’ Tell me Ginny, what’s the worst hex you’ve got, because I think you need a signature. A very definitive signature.” Ginny struggled out of bed as she named off a few curses.

“No, I don’t think those will quite do. A girl’s got to get noticed, after all. Now, have you ever heard of the Bat-Bogey hex? I’ve always found it very effective, for lads and enemies alike. And I think you just might have the skill to pull it off marvelously.” A flick of her wand and an ominously colored spell accompanied her words.

Ginny grinned, now this was advice she could use. She leapt out of bed and took a stance next to the outside post. “Could you show me that one again please?”


----------------


Hour s later, when Ginny awoke, she had the sense of it all having been very, very real. That felt wonderful. So did hitting Malfoy from behind as he mocked Harry at breakfast. After all, in love and war, naught was ever fair.

Oh yes, this Lily Potter was going to be mighty useful, whether or not she was just a hallucination of Ginny‘s overheated imagination toying with her tormented psyche.
Reviews 11
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear