Search:

SIYE Time:5:47 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Dreams that Guide Us
By redheadedfervor

- Text Size +

Category: Girl Talk Challenge (2010-3), Girl Talk Challenge (2010-3)
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Lily Potter
Genres: Comedy, Romance
Warnings: None
Rating: PG
Reviews: 24
Summary: Ginny Weasley doesn't know what to feel. It has been drawn to her attention that a certain Boy-Who-Lived might be beginning to see her as more than just his best mate's little sister. But Ginny now has a boyfriend, and after having given up on Harry, she's afraid to hope again only to be hurt. To make matters worse she's having a strange, reoccurring, dream about a girl with long red hair and Harry's eyes. She couldn't be more confused.
Hitcount: Story Total: 13518; Chapter Total: 2528





Author's Notes:
I know it's been an INCREDIBLY long times since I last posted but as it is life sometimes gets in the way. Anyway here you go! Read, review, and enjoy.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Ginny awoke feeling frustrated, she stretched her arms above her head and sighed heavily. Her body was tired from practice last night and she wanted nothing more than to just stay hidden underneath the duvet all day long. But the promise she had made to Dean the night before edged its way back into her thoughts, and so somewhere she found the will to get out from under the covers. She told herself that she today she was going to do her best to keep her promise.

However, her efforts turned out to be anything but what Ginny had hoped for. She thought that her conversation with Dean the previous night, would have given him a bit of hope to mend their relationship. Unfortunately his outlook had only worsened and he had now shut down completely.

Ginny had tried very hard to make him feel better, she joked with him and had been trying her best to be kind and attentive to him. She’d slipped her hand into his as the walked through the corridors, only to have him pull away. She asked him questions about muggle football, a subject Dean was normally always more than willing to talk about, but not today. He told her that it was “all too complicated to explain”.

Any gesture of kindness seemed to be of absolutely no use, as he barely spoke to her. To make matters worse, anytime she would pass Seamus Finnegan in the corridors or in the common room he would glare at Ginny as if she had just intentionally stomped the life out of a pygmy puff.

At lunch, Ginny tried to make friendly conversation. Dean contributed only head nods and one word answers. She could feel the irritation beginning to boil up in her blood. She was running out of ideas for new approaches, and she knew her breaking point was drawing near.

When her free period came round, she decided that she needed a break, an hour alone to regroup. She found that she was very tense, she was frustrated with Dean, and was finding it very difficult not to be angry with him. Why couldn’t he just try? She was trying her bloody arse off! And it made no difference to him. It seemed apparent that her attempt at a fresh start had made no effect on Dean at all.

As she opened her Herbology book underneath her favourite oak tree near the Black lake, she tried to clear her mind of all ill-natured thoughts toward Dean.

“Hey there, Ginny.”

She looked up to see Harry walking toward her, for the first time all day she felt like smiling.

“Oh hi, Harry,” she replied.

“Is it alright if I join you?” he asked politely.

“Sure,” she said instantly, but after thinking about it for a moment, she reconsidered, if Dean saw her sitting with Harry...

“Um-actually, Harry, you know, I should probably focus on my studying... alone. So...I can’t really talk right now,” His face fell, and he looked down at his toes.

“Oh-right, yeah, sure. You’re busy, sorry, I didn’t mean to bother you,” said Harry quickly as he turned to walk away.

The look on his face made Ginny feel as though she really had squashed a pygmy puff.

“Harry, it wasn’t a bother,” she called to him as he began to walk away. He stopped and turned his head toward her. “It’s just-well- I’m trying to concentrate... and to be honest I’m not myself today, I don’t think I’d be very good company, sorry.”

“It’s alright, I get it. I hope you figure it all out, so you can get back being yourself tomorrow. I like you, when you’re you... Good luck with the Herbology,” he said with a stunning smile.

As she watched him leave, the weight of Harry’s words hit her. All day she’d been trying to be someone else to make things right with Dean. Why should it matter if she sat with Harry under the oak tree and did her revising with him? Dean didn’t control her, no one did. Ginny was her own person, and she could do as she ruddy well pleased. The more she thought about it, she realised that she had been tip-toeing around Dean’s emotions for months now. She’d been modifying herself to just shut him up or to keep another row at bay, it not something she was proud of.

What she and Dean once had together was no longer there, they had evolved into new people, and there was no going back. Ginny then resolutely decided that she wasn’t going to pretend that any longer. She would break up with Dean the next time she was alone with him. It wasn’t healthy holding onto something that no longer existed, just to stay within the comfort of normality.

Later that evening as she ate dinner in the Great Hall, Ginny sat next to Dean but she did not try to engage him in trivial conversation, she just went about her business, as if it were any other night. She chatted pleasantly with Hermione, and paid no attention to Seamus when he shot her dirty looks from across the table. By the time she was finished with dinner, she decided that she would stop by the library on her way to the common room to return some Charms books that she was finished with. She got up from the Gryffindor table and began to make her way toward the entrance hall.


“Can I walk with you, I want to talk,” Dean said quite seriously, from behind her. She turned around to see him standing behind her. It was the most he had spoken to her all day, and she was a bit surprised. Of course, now that the day was nearly over, he wanted to talk.

“Alright,” Ginny agreed, “but I need to stop by the library to return some books.”

Despite Dean’s urgent desire for converstion, they walked in silence.He appeared to be deep in thought. Ginny went about her business in the library and when she was finished, she made her way to the seventh floor, with Dean trailing behind her. It was only when they were outside the portrait of the Fat Lady, when Dean seemed to find the words for which he’d been searching.

“I’m sorry, I’ve been a complete prat all day. You’ve been trying so hard to be kind to me, and I’ve done nothing but pout. Can we start over?” he asked hopefully.

Ginny turned to face him, she looked at him.

“You know Dean, I don’t really think I want to start over again.”

He blinked at her for a moment, as if this had not been the answer that he’d been expecting.

“Why?”

“Well I’ve been doing a lot of serious thinking about our relationship today, and honestly I think it’s time that we ended this,” she replied slowly. Dean looked as though someone had just stunned him.

“All because I was in a foul mood today?”

“No, it’s not just because of that. It’s because this just isn’t working anymore, can’t you see that?”

“I know that it’s been... different, but isn’t there some way we can fix this, please?” he asked softly.

Ginny sighed, he was not going to make this easy on her. However, she knew that she had to remain firm. There was no going back now.

“Dean I’m very sorry, but I just don’t see any way for this to get better. We irritate each other, we can hardly have a comfortable conversation anymore, and it’s really not healthy for us to keep it up the way things are. I don’t like the person I am when I’m with you Dean. You’ll always be very dear to me, but I think it’s for the best if we both just go our separate ways.”

Dean sighed deeply, his eyes traveled to his feet, and his body began to stiffen. His expression was cold.

“I guess Seamus was right,” he mumbled to himself bitterly.

“Right about what, exactly?” Ginny asked.

“Well he told me that I should have given up on you after I told you that I loved you, and you didn’t say it back. I told him that I thought you’d come around eventually... but now I think maybe he was right, you don’t give a damn about me. Maybe you are heartless” he spat at her.

Ginny knew that he was upset and that she should probably just let it go, but on second thought, he’d been a complete arse to her. What reason did she have now to hold back? She couldn’t think of one. So she glared at him as she felt her face heat up, and finally she let the cork that had been stuffed in her mouth all day pop out.

“I am not heartless! How can you say that!? For your bloody information, you stupid git, I have been trying very hard to mend this ruddy relationship! You’ve been so jealous, so stubborn, and so completely unresponsive to any of the things that I’ve done to make you feel more secure, that I am at my wit’s end!”

“If you had been anyone else and were treating me the way you have been lately, you would have had a face full of bat bogies so fast that you wouldn’t have had time to even blink! And no, I don’t love you, love is a very complicated emotion, that doesn’t just happen because you want it to. Just because I didn’t swoon and praise Merlin, the moment the words left your lips does not mean that I am incapable of love. It means that I had respect enough for your feelings to be honest with you about mine!”

“You should be mature enough to be glad that at least I was completely straight forward with you, and didn’t lead you on! However, it appears you have the maturity and emotional range of a flobberworm! So you can run along and tell dear Seamus whatever you like about me, but it will not change the fact that you too had a part in bringing this relationship to an end, you prat!” Ginny was nose to nose with him when she finished, her body was shaking with fury. Her hand was clenched tightly around her wand and she was desperately trying to hold back the urge to hex him.

But judging by just how wide Dean’s eyes were, she knew that he was already regretting his earlier statements. And though she knew it was probably wrong, the fear she could see in his gaze, gave her quite a lot of satisfaction.

“Well you’ve certainly put him in his place, my dear,” said the Fat Lady as she studied Dean, “he looks as though he might wet himself.”

If she hadn’t been quite so angry Ginny might have found the Fat Lady’s comment entertaining, but as it was she just wanted to go up to her dormitory and be alone.

“Jobberknoll,” she said curtly. The Fat Lady, who was still obviously finding Dean’s expression humorous, swung forward between giggles.

“Ginny, wait! I-” Dean stuttered as Ginny stepped into the portrait hole.

Ginny heard him, but had no desire to talk with him any longer, so she determinedly continued on her way. Just before she reached the other side of the portrait hole she felt herself being pushed. She lost her footing and almost fell to the ground. Dean attempted to catch her, and together they stumbled into the common room.

Almost as if she were a spring, Ginny popped up and was on her feet. Dean was still on the floor, looking very bewildered. Ginny glowered at him. As though they could feel the heat of Ginny’s anger emanating from her being, the other Gyffindors in the common room went silent and began shifting uncomfortably.

“YOU BLOODY PUSHED ME!” she shouted.

“N-n-no... I-I... you fell...I caught you...” Dean stammered.

“If there had been any small glimmer of hope for you to redeem yourself Dean Thomas, it’s gone now! I can ruddy well get through the portrait hole on my own, and I can ruddy well make it through life on my own! We are SO over!!”

Ginny was so angry that her vision was blurred, she stormed up to her dormitory, and angrily put on her night gown. She jumped onto her four-poster, ripped the curtains shut, and began beating the pulp out of her pillow. Her thoughts were not coherent, all she could feel was emotion, and before she could stop it she was crying. Which of course only made her more angry. Ginny hated crying. She shut her eyes as tightly as she could and prayed that sleep would come swiftly.





“I am so not in the mood to play the guessing game tonight,” Ginny said irritatedly as Lily Potter approached her in the dream again.

“Then stop trying to guess,” Lily replied simply, “Why don’t you just talk to me?”

“Am I allowed to do that?” Ginny asked tentatively.

“Will you stop trying to question everything, Ginny, just relax a little. Of course you’re allowed to talk to me,” Lily laughed. Under normal circumstances, Ginny might have been offended at being laughed at, but for some reason Lily’s laughter made her feel more at ease. And soon she was speaking, though she didn’t really know what she was going to say.

“Are...are all boys complete and total prats?”

“Yes, they are,” Lily answered with that sympathetic smile someone always gives when they are giving the harsh facts of life.

“I thought so,” Ginny said solemnly.

“They’re all prats, but then sometimes they surprise you. It may take them forever to get it right, but eventually they come around, or at least the right one does.” Lily said as her eyes travelled to James, who was sitting under the tree and smiling brightly at her.

Ginny looked at them and suddenly felt very hopeful. Maybe dreaming about Harry’s mum and dad wasn’t so terrible after all.
Reviews 24
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear