Search:

SIYE Time:20:11 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Gift of Love
By Potterfan922

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, Girl Talk Challenge (2010-3), Girl Talk Challenge (2010-3)
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Lily Potter
Genres: Angst, Drama, Fluff, Romance
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 42
Summary: Ginny Weasley never thought Harry could ever have feelings for her. With Lily Potter’s help, Ginny learns that anything is possible if you’ve got enough nerve. And that is what makes all the difference.
Hitcount: Story Total: 13733; Chapter Total: 3006





Author's Notes:
Here is the conclusion! I hope everyone has enjoyed it. I really enjoyed writing this story. Please read and review.

I have some plot bunnies hopping around for a series of one-shot sequels called Conversations with Lily. But my next adventure is to complete my story, Secrets.

Please note, I borrowed a defining line from DH. Those words belong to the great JK Rowling.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


On a warm, May morning, Harry found his four-poster bed almost as he left it a year ago. Bruised, bloodied, and relieved all at the same time, Harry was finally able to sleep soundly. It was all over. He was free to live his own life. And he knew one thing: he wanted Ginny Weasley to be a major part of it.


On the other side of Gryffindor Tower, Ginny slept in her own dormitory. Ginny went through hell the previous night. She lost Fred, Colin, Remus, and Tonks. Yet Harry, the person she held most dear, did find his way back to her in the end. Ginny was able to sleep soundly for that reason alone.


Harry started to stir. His nose twitched. Something soft was tickling it. He opened his eyes, noticing a halo of red was splashed over his face. Gently removing the red locks, Harry came to his senses. He was not in his four-poster bed. He was on the Common Room couch. Ginny was sleeping soundly in his embrace. He was puzzled about how that happened. But after the last few days, nothing surprised him.


Harry gently nudged her. “Ginny,” he whispered. However, she just nuzzled herself closer. He tried again, kissing her forehead. “Ginny, wake up.” It was broad daylight outside, and anyone could pass by them. He was particularly worried about anyone with red hair passing by. As Ginny began to stir, all paranoid thoughts seemed to vanish.


Her deep brown eyes slowly opened, slightly dazed. Without thinking, as if it were the most natural thing in the world, she started to kiss him. He returned her advances, leaning into her. It was not a desperate kiss like they shared on his birthday. It was a kiss of affirmation of the love they had for each other. It was a promise for what their lives would have in store from them: lives free of darkness and despair. Her arms wrapped around his neck, playing with the hair at the nape. Merlin, she missed that hair! He gripped her tighter, reveling in her unique floral scent: the scent he longed for during those long months apart.


After many long moments, when they had their fill of snogging each other senseless, they slowly moved apart, sitting up on the couch. Ginny smiled at him, and reached up to caress his cheek to make sure he was real. Harry was there, alive and well. He really didn’t die, like she thought he did a few hours earlier. Her protection worked, and she was in his arms at last.


A look of pain appeared on her face as she took it all in. She looked as if she was trying to suppress her tears. Harry noticed. “I’m so sorry, Gin. If I would have worked things out sooner, maybe Fred…”


Ginny put her finger on Harry’s lips to silence him, “Harry, listen to me carefully. I don’t want you apologizing for Fred or anyone else. It was Voldemort that caused their deaths, not you. Not you! If I ever hear you blame yourself, I’ll have to acquaint you with some of my Bat-Bogey friends.” She paused. “Yes, I am devastated about Fred, but I guess I am in shock. What’s bothering me is… I thought you were dead, Harry. I saw Hagrid carrying your body. I thought…” For once in front of Harry, Ginny succumbed to tears. “I wanted to die.”


Harry wiped her tears away with his thumb. “I’m so sorry, Ginny. I never wanted to hurt you.”


Her voice was deliberate with raw emotion. “You went to him, Harry. You met him in the forest. Why? Why didn’t you fight?”


“I had no choice, Ginny. Please trust me. It had to be this way.”


“But why did you have to go him in the first place? I don’t understand…”


“I do,” said Lily warmly, walking forward from the shadows.


Ginny and Harry both turned towards the voice. Harry stood up, but couldn’t move once he realized who it was.


“Mrs. Potter?” Ginny asked, standing. She was surprised to see Lily. Up until this moment, she was certain that she was awake. Harry was beyond confused.


“Mum?” Harry asked, bewildered.


“Hi, Baby,” Lily sweetly greeted Harry. She smiled at Ginny. “It’s nice to see you again, Ginny.”


Harry looked from Lily to Ginny back to Lily again. He lost all ability to speak from the shock.


Ginny explained. “Harry, we are dreaming. We must still be in our poster beds. Isn’t that correct, Mrs. Potter?” Lily nodded, beaming at Harry.


“It’s true, Harry. I called you and Ginny here. I’m sorry I couldn’t meet with you before. It was impossible until now,” Lily said, looking Harry up and down, admiring her grown son in person.


Harry replied, “Wait. I’m asleep, but this is real?” He looked at Ginny curiously. “How did you know that?”


“Yes, Harry. Ginny knows because this is not the first time I visited her in her dreams.” Ginny looked sheepishly towards Harry, while Lily explained. “I’m sorry, Honey. Voldemort prevented me from visiting you. Now that you are free of him, I can finally reach you.” Lily walked over to Harry, embracing him. Harry slowly brought his arms around her, afraid she would disappear. When he realized she was as solid as he was, he hugged her firmly as if his life depended on it. It was his turn to succumb to tears. She rubbed his back affectionately. Ginny was beaming at the reunited mother and son.


“Shhh, Baby,” Lily replied. Harry released her, looking at her at arm’s length. He remembered looking in the Mirror of Erised all those years ago. This was so much better.


“Mum? It’s really you?” Harry asked, swiping his tears with the back of his hand.


“It’s really me, Baby.” She had tears in her eyes as well. “I visited your dreams today to explain some things to the both of you. Maybe you should both sit down.”


Harry and Ginny returned to the couch, while Lily sat by the fireplace. “Harry, you need to know that I have always tried to reach you in your dreams. I trained to learn how to do it. It is a skill that is not unheard of, but it is rare to master it. Your father hasn’t been successful, and he wishes he was able to meet you. He sends you his love.” Harry nodded, not trusting his voice.


She continued. “I have watched over you your whole life. But I never understood why I couldn’t reach you. I finally found out the reason during your sixth year. I was fed up with Dumbledore’s way of treating you. I entered Dumbledore’s dreams, chastising him for keeping information from you. I felt that you needed to have all the information if you were going to defeat Voldemort.” She looked away from him. “I was wrong. Dumbledore told me about the Horcrux in your scar. I knew then that you would one day have to sacrifice yourself to defeat Voldemort.”


“Wait? What’s a Horcrux? What does that have to do with your scar?” Ginny asked, looking at Harry.


Harry turned to Ginny, sighing. “A Horcrux is a part of someone’s soul that was placed in an object. Voldemort made them. With a Horcrux, you can never die. That was Voldemort’s secret.” Harry looked sympathetically. “We didn’t realize it at the time, but his diary was the first Horcrux that was destroyed.” Ginny’s eyes widened, and she physically paled in shock. Harry continued, “That was what Hermione, Ron, and I were tracking down all this time. We were trying to find and destroy them.”


“And your scar?” Ginny asked, starting to tremble.


“A Horcrux, Gin. I discovered that fact during the battle. That was why I had to go to him last night. I had to die if Voldemort was to be destroyed.”


Ginny turned from pale gray to green. Comprehension dawned on her face. “Mrs. Potter, you knew about Harry’s scar when you visited me. That’s why you told me about the ritual.”


Harry looked up quickly in surprise. “It was you, Mum? I can’t believe it. Why would you do that to her?”


Lily replied. “Harry, I knew you would someday face him with the intent of letting him kill you. I also knew that my blood protection was weakening. Dumbledore seemed to think that the fact that Voldemort took your blood when he regained his body would anchor you to life. I wasn’t so sure since my protection was compromised... You and Ginny are soul mates, Harry. Performing the ritual would create an indestructible bond. Harry, let me ask you this. What was your final thought before you were going to die?”


Harry looked straight into Ginny’s eyes. “My last thought was of you, Gin. I was remembering our first kiss in the Common Room just before I was engulfed in the green light.”


“True love conquers all, Harry. I believe it wasn’t Voldemort that tied you to this world. It was Ginny.”


Harry looked up at his mother and to the woman he loved. He noticed both had tears in their eyes. Harry felt a knot in his throat. He spoke with emotion. “Mum, Ginny, I love you both so much. I don’t know what to say.” He looked at Ginny first. “Gin, I overheard you and Hermione arguing about the ritual. I didn’t want you to die for me. That’s why I broke it off with you.” Ginny nodded mutely.


“Harry, I knew you would push Ginny away to keep her safe. That’s the only reason why I approached her,” Lily reassured.


“Mum, you gave your life for me. Gin, you were willing to do the same. It was love that saved me in the beginning and in the end. How can I ever thank you?”


“Harry, there is only one thing I want for you. Be happy, Baby. You are free to live your own life. That is what I gave my life for. I want my son to live his life with the woman he loves.” Lily gave Ginny a warm smile, which she happily returned. “I see a wonderful future for the both of you. I can’t wait to look down on my grandchildren.” She winked at them.


“But what about you, Mum?”


“Harry, a wise man once said that death was the next great adventure. He was right. Where we are… I can’t describe it. It really is the best place. Don’t be sad for me or anyone else who has passed.”


“Will we ever see you again, Mrs. Potter?” Ginny asked. “I hope this isn’t good-bye.”


“It is never good-bye, Ginny. I will always be a part of your lives. I definitely plan to enter both of your dreams again. Harry, I want a relationship with you. And I love you like a daughter, Ginny.” They both beamed at Lily.


In the distance, the sound of fireworks could be heard in the late afternoon sky. Every color of the rainbow was illuminating the Common Room. It was even starting to rain stars. Harry looked over to Ginny, but she slowly faded from view. He looked at his mother with concern.


“Not to worry. Ginny just woke up. The celebrations outside must have startled her. We don’t have much time before you go.”


“I don’t want to leave you, Mum. I just got you. It’s too soon.”


“I know, Harry. I promise to visit you soon. Just remember, it was all worth it. I love you, Harry.” Lily said, as Harry started to fade.


“I love you, Mum,” Harry whispered in his sleep. Harry’s eyes slowly fluttered open. He smiled. All was well.






Reviews 42
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear