Search:

SIYE Time:2:15 on 19th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Up on the Roof
By SunDevil05

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 15
Summary: Breaking away from the chaos of their family, Harry and Ginny escape to the roof for a moment of peace.
Hitcount: Story Total: 5609



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
Hi all. Just a little one-shot I whipped up. This is part of my Adventures series and takes place in between Adventures in Courtship and Adventures as Newlyweds when Harry and Ginny are engaged. it is not necessary to have read either story to understand this but there are a few references to events in Adventures in Courtship. I hope all enjoy this excuse for fluff!

Thanks to my wonderfully awesome beta!




ChapterPrinter


Up on the Roof


Ginny stared up into the endless night sky. It was filled with clouds, many of which blocked the moonlight from illuminating the Earth below. It was rather quiet outside. The only sounds she could hear were Harry’s breathing from next to her and the gentle sway of the trees in the cold breeze. It was peaceful and calm, something Ginny had been craving ever since she and Harry had announced their engagement, and exactly what she needed.

She closed her eyes enjoying the cold wind lightly whipping across her face and the warm feeling of Harry’s hand in hers. She felt like she could stay like this forever.

“Why are we out here?” Harry’s voice broke the comfortable silence that had set upon them.

“Because you wanted to escape the chaos that is my family,” she explained.

Really, she couldn’t blame him for wanting to get away. Her family, well in particular her mother and Fleur, had been badgering them constantly about wedding plans and it was driving them both up the wall. Earlier that night, during dinner, it had been at its worst especially since the wedding was less than four months away. Harry seemed to have had sensed her aggravation and immediately following dinner he had murmured in her ear about getting out for a while. Ginny had readily agreed.

“Actually I asked you if you wanted to be alone,” Harry clarified.

“And I said yes and here we are,” she replied with a roll of her eyes.

“I did have somewhere warmer in mind you know.”

“Where then?”

“Dunno. Maybe we could have gone to your bedroom or back to my flat.”

Ginny smirked to herself. Of course he would want to go one of those places. The closer and closer they got to the wedding the more Harry seemed keen on enjoying their physical relationship, despite the fact they had agreed to wait until their wedding night to give each other to one another.

Ginny sighed as she tugged her hand out of his grasp. She brushed her hair out of her face.

“But those are places where we could be interrupted,” she explained simply.

“And we can’t be interrupted here on the roof?”

“Who would think to look for us here?” she laughed and finally turned her head to the right to look at him. She watched his profile as he stared up at the sky like she had been doing before. “Besides you took me up here once ages ago. Don’t you remember?”

He chuckled and turned to look at her. He wore a grin. “Not hard to forget that. The Minister had just tried to use me as his poster boy and Draco Malfoy had attempted to kill you.”

She nodded as she reminisced with him. “And we told each other we loved each other for the first time.”

“That was the best part of that night,” he added.

“Yeah, it was,” she agreed. “And after we had gone inside that pig Scrimgeour tried to have you arrested.”

“Wonderful man, wasn’t he?” Harry sighed. “Maybe we should invite him to the wedding?”

Ginny snorted. “Right, and while we’re at it let’s make your cousin part of the wedding party, better yet, replace Ron as the best man with him.”

“That will go over well with your mum and Fleur — how did she get involved with all of this?” Harry asked. He reached out and touched her hand with his.

Ginny sighed and rolled onto her back again. She felt Harry take her hand in his. “I have no bloody idea, but they are both turning this into a circus.”

“We could elope you know,” Harry suggested lightly.

“You do remember what happened when Charlie pulled that off with Tabitha, right?” Ginny reminded him.

“She got over it eventually,” Harry muttered. “But they didn’t have to go through everything that we’re going through. It would be nice, wouldn’t it? Just us.”

She contemplated it for a moment. It sounded like really good idea right about now. No seating arrangements or tablecloths. No dress fittings and faking wedding plans. No members of the press trying to get the “exclusive interview” with them and definitely no Molly and Fleur Weasley controlling every last detail.

But then again eloping meant their family and friends would not witness the special moment in their lives. No one would be able to share in the joy of their union and she wanted that.

“We aren’t eloping, Harry,” she sighed and looked back at him. “We can survive four more months.”

“All right,” he resigned and squeezed her hand in his again. “I suppose we can keep putting up with all this.”

She nodded. “We can.”

They fell silent again, each of them staring up at the dark sky above them.

It was some time later when Harry broke the peaceful silence.

“We’re going to be married in four months.”

Ginny turned to look at him and found him staring at her intently. “Yeah,” she whispered. “We are.”

He pushed himself up on his side leaned over her. She moved her head to look straight up at him.

Harry reached with his right hand and gently caressed her cheek with the back of his fingers. He smiled gently. “I get to call you my wife.”

She returned his smile and nodded. “That you do.”

“I can’t wait,” he whispered and leaned down to place a loving kiss on her lips.

He began to pull away, but Ginny was quick to snake her left hand into his hair and brought him into another kiss. She parted her lips just enough to deepen the kiss and Harry willingly obliged.

It was some time later when Harry finally rolled onto his back, breathing heavily and looking dazed and delighted.

“Bloody hell,” he breathed. He turned to look at her, a large grin on his face. “I’m so glad I get to snog you like that for the rest of our lives.”

Ginny laughed and rolled onto her side, snuggling into his side. He snuck his left arm beneath her and curled it around her, pulling her as close as he could. Ginny brought her left leg up to rest on top of his own leg and placed her hand on his chest.

The moonlight caught in the diamonds of her engagement ring and for a moment she stared at it, entranced by the way it glittered.

“You know, I think this was very smart of you,” he said. Harry pressed a kiss on the top of her head. “I’ve got myself one clever fiancée.”

Ginny turned her head to peer up at him. He wore a rather proud look on his face.

“Why’s that?” she asked.

“Well you had the brilliant idea to come up here,” he replied. He waggled his eyebrows at her, “And that led to some very fun times.”

She giggled and began tracing circles with her finger on his chest. “I am rather clever, aren’t I?”

He squeezed her in response. “Yes you are.”

She sighed, settling against his side again. She laid her hand flat on his chest.

“You know we get to do stuff like this for the rest of our lives,” she said quietly.

“I know,” he replied. His fingers that were resting on her side began to slide gently up and down. “I’m looking forward to more of these rooftop snogging sessions.”

Ginny smacked him lightly on his chest. He made a small noise from the impact.

“Is that all I’m to you,” she asked, “someone to snog in the middle of the night on top of a roof?”

He was quiet for a moment, clearly thinking of the proper response.

“If I say yes —”

“Harry!” she cried and sat up. She twisted to glare down at him.

“I was joking!” he laughed at her indignant look. “Come back down here. You were nice and warm and I like holding you.”

She looked at him shrewdly. He returned her look with one of innocence and apology.

“You didn’t answer me,” she said and turned her back on him. She crossed her arms over her chest and held her chin up stubbornly.

She heard him sigh and felt him sit up. He kissed her shoulder in apology.

“You know I like spending time with you,” Harry muttered in her ear. He kissed her again this time just beneath her right ear lobe. “And this is a just another way where we can be together.”

Ginny glanced sideways at him. He had a rather pathetic look on his face and she found herself giving in to him. He smiled and wrapped his arm around her waist. They resumed their previous position and stared up at the stars once more.

Ginny closed her eyes. Harry’s body was warm and she found his familiar arms and breathing to be comforting. She could easily fall asleep right here next to him on the rooftop of her childhood home. She smiled lazily at the thought that in four more months she’d get to sleep next to him for the rest of her life.

“I really do like this,” Harry said after a few minutes of silence.

“Mmhmm,” she hummed. She kept her eyes closed and sighed dreamily.

“It’s unfortunate that we can’t do this once we get married,” he said sadly.

That caused Ginny to open her eyes. She lifted her head and peered up at him with a slight frown. “Why?”

“We’re going to be living in my flat, love, remember? We won’t have access to a roof,” he explained.

She bit the corner of her bottom lip in thought. She smiled hopefully. “Well, we could always fly up there like we did tonight.”

Harry shook his head with a loving smile on his face. He lifted his right hand and tucked her hair behind her left ear. “My flat’s in Muggle London. I don’t think we can go zooming around on our brooms.”

“It would give the Muggles something interesting to talk about,” she shrugged.

“True, but then we’d have the Ministry coming after us,” he reminded her.

“You just have to take the fun out of it, don’t you?” she pouted.

He laughed and pulled her so she was lying on top of him. His arms wrapped around her waist to keep her in place while she cupped his face in her hands.

“Well, if you want a roof we can always just get a house,” he suggested.

Ginny blinked down at him and thought over his words. She hadn’t thought about them getting a house; she just assumed they would be living in his flat once they were married. In fact, she realized, they hadn’t even discussed where they would live once they were husband and wife. The idea of a house was appealing yet somewhat scary.

“A house,” she said slowly. “We haven’t talked about getting a house.”

“I know,” he grinned. “Perhaps we ought to.”

Ginny pulled herself out of his grasp. She sat cross legged in front of him with a thoughtful look on her face.

“Perhaps,” she agreed.

Harry pushed himself up into a sitting position. He placed his hands on either side of him and leaned backward slightly. “So, do you want a house?”

Ginny nodded. “One day.”

“When would ‘one day’ be?” he asked.

Ginny shrugged. She wasn’t quite sure when she wanted a house. Of course she wanted one someday but not now. It was just going to be her and Harry. They didn’t need a lot of space when they were starting out.

“I don’t know,” she answered honestly. She scooted around so she sat next to him and mimicked his position. She looked up at the sky again, watching as a cloud slowly moved in front of the moon.

“Do you want one right away?” he asked her.

Ginny felt him lay his hand on top of hers. She sat up and linked her fingers with his then turned to face him. He was looking back at her, a sincerely curious expression on his face.

“No,” she shook her head. “It’s just us. We don’t need to have a whole house like that right now. Your flat is just fine for the time being.”

Harry seemed to consider her words for a moment before nodding. He brought her hand up to his lips and gently pressed them to her fingers and smiled at her. “All right. The flat for now and whenever we’re ready, we’ll have our dream home.”

“Exactly,” she agreed and returned his smile.

“So,” he sighed after a moment, lowering her hand and toying with her fingers, “what do you want your dream house to be?”

Our dream house,” she corrected him. “It’s going to be our house, Harry, it’s what we want. So you first, what do you want it to be like?”

Harry frowned, all his concentration appeared to be focused on her fingers. After a few moments, he looked up at her. “I never thought about it. I never thought I’d actually live past seventeen, let along get married to you and have a house. I honestly don’t know what I want.”

Ginny felt a twinge of anger toward anyone and everyone who’d made Harry’s childhood the way it was and forced those thoughts into his head. She hated the fact that he had gone who knows how long believing he wouldn’t live long enough to have a life that he deserved. But she pushed it all back. That was in the past and it would stay there. Now was a time to move forward and to think about the future they would be building together.

She tugged on his hand to gain his attention. He looked up at her.

“If you could have one thing in our future home, what would it be?” she asked.

Harry looked down again and quickly looked up again. He had sheepish look on his face.

“Well,” he began, reaching behind him with his free hand and scratching the back of his neck, “I’d like to have a Quidditch pitch?” he asked more than stated.

Ginny grinned at him. “A pitch?”

“Yes,” he defended himself and looked determinedly at her, “not a big one, but you know one that’s big enough for family pick-up games and allowing our children to practice. What’s wrong with that?”

Ginny laughed and leaned forward to kiss him on the nose. “I love it. We’ll have a small pitch then.”

He smiled and returned her kiss. He pulled back and squeezed her hand that he still had clasped in his own. “All right, so we’ll have a pitch. That’s about all I can really think of. What do you want?”

Ginny bit her bottom lip as she contemplated what to tell him. If she were honest with herself, (and it was a bit embarrassing that she had thought about it before) she had thought about this on a few occasions. She only had a few things that she really wanted in her future home. Small things but they seemed to be important to her. She really didn’t care about the size or how many bedrooms it had, as long as she shared it with Harry that was all that really mattered.

“Love?” Harry called. “You all right?”

Ginny blinked. She hadn’t realized she had been silent for so long.

“Sorry,” she apologized. “Got lost in my thoughts.”

He smiled and waited for her.

“Honestly,” she began, “it doesn’t matter to me. As long as we’re together we could have a twenty room mansion or in a one room shack and it would still be our home.”

“But,” he nudged her, sensing that she had more to add. “You have a few things you want.”

Ginny rolled her eyes. “A few, one being having enough space for a Quidditch pitch in the back garden.”

“What else then?” Harry asked with a grin. He reached out with his free hand and cupped the side of her face. “What else do you want in our dream home?”

She licked her lips before answering. “Well, not a lot. Just a few things. A nice large dining room so we can have the whole family over for dinner. I want everyone to be able to sit comfortably in one place without using Enlargement Charms. And I want it to be large enough to hold any future Weasleys and Potters that will be added to our family.”

Harry thought about it for a moment before nodding his head in agreement. “I like that.” He kissed her knuckles and brought their hands back down. “Anything else?”

She nodded. “I want our bedroom to face the back garden and I want a window seat to look over it so we can watch the sun rise and watch the sky like it is tonight. I want to sit there and watch our children play and family getting together. And that’s it.”

“That’s all?” he questioned and let go of her hands. He shuffled around so he was on his hands and knees and leaning toward her. “A pitch, a big dining room and a window seat in our bedroom.”

Ginny nodded. “Yes. That’s all I want in our dream house. I’m good with anything else. Oh, there is one more thing.”

“And that is?” he questioned.

“We have a roof so we can do this whenever we want.”

He laughed and readily agreed. “Yes, we have to have a rooftop to do this as often as we want.”

Harry slowly advanced on her. Ginny leaned back on her hands as he came closer to her. He stopped only when she could barely keep her torso up with her own hands.

“I think all those things are absolutely brilliant,” he whispered as he wrapped his arms around her waist and laid her back down on top of the roof.

“Yeah?” she asked.

“Yes,” he replied and settled against her side. Ginny turned towards him and snuggled in next to him. He kissed the top of her head once she was settled. “I promise that someday we’ll have all those things in our home. You’ll have your dream home.”

Ginny smiled against his chest and buried her face against his neck. “I told you as long as I’m with you it doesn’t matter where we live.”

She felt him smile against her hair and he heaved a sigh.

“I know,” he replied. “But I want to give you the house you want, Ginny, and someday I will. And I promise we’ll have a rooftop where we can escape together and be like this whenever we want.”

“I like the sound of that,” Ginny murmured. She pulled her head back to look up at him. “I can’t wait to have nights like this in our own home.”

“Me too,” he grinned. He pushed himself up and gazed down at her. He leaned down, his lips hovering just above hers, “I love you, Ginny.”

“I love you, too, Harry,” she whispered and he closed the distance between them.

And as they laid there upon the rooftop of her childhood home, sharing tender and loving kisses, Ginny couldn’t help but think about the day they would get to do this on top of their own home for the rest of their lives. She couldn’t wait for more moments like this up on the roof. And not just any roof . . . their roof.
Reviews 15
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear