Search:

SIYE Time:0:57 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Save Me
By JulietteFox16

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, Post-Hogwarts
Characters:None
Genres: General
Warnings: Mild Language
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 16
Summary: Evan Dursley is a mild mannered reporter working for the Daily Prophet. Harry Potter is a legend throughout the wizarding world as a hero, and a mystery since all anyone knows about him is that he shows up when people need help. Not even star reporter for the Daily Prophet Ginny Weasley can tell that they're actually the same person.
Hitcount: Story Total: 9655; Chapter Total: 2941





Author's Notes:
This is my first story up here and I'm putting it up on this site because one of my reviwers on ff.net recommended it. This story is based off of Superman because I can't help but to see all of the parallels between the two but it won't follow any exact story from Superman, it's simply based off of it. If you have any questions feel free to message me and I'll answer them as soon as possible.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


The day the Dursleys found their baby nephew on their doorstep they knew everything was going to change. When Petunia saw her sister’s son she took him in as her own and Vernon quickly followed that sentiment. Dudley and Harry were inseparable from the moment they met. After the tragedy of Halloween Harry Potter found a home with the Dursleys, but his new parents couldn’t shake a feeling of uneasiness.

So they packed up their home and two sons and headed off to the country, to where the farm Vernon’s father had left him was. They also changed Harry’s name to Evan Dursley so as not to look suspicious (and so that no wizards could find them). The only magical being who knew anything about them was Albus Dumbledore and he would never betray the small family. In fact, he made sure that no one even remembered that Lily had a sister who was still alive-everyone thought she died in a car crash two years before that Halloween and that she had never married.

For almost ten years the family lived peacefully on the farm. The three males worked the farm together while Petunia took care of the house. Thanks to Dumbledore Evan fit in perfectly with the family. He had brown hair, bordering on black, which was kept tamed through certain spells, and he wore thick glasses that his brilliant green eyes. Both boys were in shape from working on the farm, although Evan was always smaller than Dudley.

Then, a few days after Evan’s 11th birthday Professor McGonagall, Deputy Headmistress of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry appeared on their doorstep. They’d been expecting her, of course, and ushered her into the living room and called the boys in from the barn. Once everyone was sitting McGonagall began her explanation.

“I am here as an envoy to acquaint you, and your family, with magic. Our society has existed for hundreds of years and you will find a wealth of opportunities available to you.” Her tone was stern and Evan exchanged an annoyed glance with Dudley. “There are two levels of magic, the primary and the secondary. During your first year at Hogwarts you will take a class in each of the primary magics, which are Transfiguration, Charms, and Defense Against the Dark Arts.

“After your first year your specialization will be evident and you will continue with that primary only throughout the rest of your seven years at Hogwarts. Specialization is the primary magic that works for you. Everyone can work only one primary magic, although there are few truly exceptional people who can do a spell or two of another primary.

“The secondary magics you do not specialize in. There are many different types, such as potions, divination, flying, herbology, etc. During your third year you will choose which secondary magics you wish to take courses in, although you will have potions, hebology, and history of magic beginning in your first year. Do you have any questions?”

The Dursleys did their best to make it look as if they were hearing all of this for the first time and Evan quickly though up a question, so as not to appear too knowledgable. “So I’ll only learn one of the primary magics because I’ll only be able to do one, but I can learn as many of the secondaries as I want?”

McGonagall nodded and took a sip of her tea. “Exactly. Whenever you are ready to go I will take you and your family to Diagon Alley to purchase your school supplies.”
“How much is this all going to cost? Farming doesn’t exactly bring in the big money, you know.” Vernon asked and Petunia placed her hand on his arm.

McGonagall gave a small smile while she placated their monetary concerns and then the five of them prepared to portkey to the Leaky Cauldron. The trip was relatively uneventful, although Evan and Dudley managed to convince their parent to buy a snowy owl they later named Hedwig, a name they discovered in one of Evan’s new books, and to stop for ice cream. The most memorable part was when Evan received his wand and Ollivander told them the story of how Evan’s wand had a brother wand and how they should “Expect great things from you, Mr. Dursley.” (Dudley had teased Evan about that for awhile afterwards).
Once the shopping trip was over McGonagall escorted them back to the farm and then left the family to sort out their day. After she left the four went to the kitchen and Evan let down his glamours with a sigh of relief. His dull olive eyes became emerald and the glasses were removed and his hair became ebony and impossibly messy. Petunia smiled and shook her head at him.

“You’ll have to get used to those glamours soon, at school you won’t be allowed to take them off.” Harry rolled his eyes in response.

“I know mom. Don’t worry-I’ll be careful.” Vernon chuckled and ruffled Harry’s hair and Dudley laughed with him.

Petunia began to make dinner while Harry and Dudley set the table. “Of course you will son. You know what will happen if you don’t.” Vernon said in a menacing tone, which caused the others to burst out laughing. “What’s so funny, you lot?” he blustered, “I mean it!”

“Of course dear,” Petunia said with a wave of her hand, “of course.”

The small kitchen filled with the family’s laughter once more, as it had so many times before. That room was the gathering place for the Dursleys and had born witness to many events over the years. Harry sighed in contentment as they sat down to dinner, knowing that even if he didn’t fit into the wizarding world he would always have a home here.

PAGEBREAK PAGEBREAK PAGEBREAK PAGEBREAK

Evan sat on the Hogwarts Express for the last time as he watched Hogwarts disappear into the distance. He smiled as he thought of his seven years there, and of all the friends he had made during that time.

Luna Lovegood was his best friend, and the only one who had ever figured out who he really was, Harry Potter. She was a year his junior and in Ravenclaw to his Gryffindor, but they were always close. She was also the only one of his friends to ever visit the farm.

His other two really good friends were Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley. The two were in his year and in his house, although Hermione specialized in Transfiguration, Ron in Defense, and he had, supposedly specialized in Charms. He hadn’t actually specialized in any of the primaries, he could do any spell out there, that was what made him so special.

Not that anyone besides Luna knew that he hadn’t specialized, well Dumbledore knew as well. In fact it was Dumbledore who had taught him Transfiguration and Defense when he had had to pretend to specialize and had chosen Charms to ‘specialize’ in. Now, after hiding in Hogwarts for seven years he was ready to face the world as Evan Dursley, the newest addition to the staff at the Daily Prophet.

Of course, he had also faced the world as Harry Potter. When he had saved the Philosopher’s stone, Ginny Weasley, Sirius; he had had to leave his disguise behind so as not to be discovered and so the legend of Harry Potter, the Boy-Who-Lived and the one who appeared when someone needed help, was born. With the return of Voldemort during his fourth year he had been forced to dive even deeper into hiding and any hope of revealing who he was disappeared. Evan Dursley would continue to be flesh and blood while Harry Potter, the real one, would remain a legend.

No one knew who Harry Potter was, besides their savior, and he was determined to keep it that way. After all, because no one knew he was Harry Potter, no one treated him differently than any other person. No one even knew where he lived because no one remembered Lily’s sister, except for Sirius Black.

During Evan’s third year the man had escaped from Azkaban and had come to Hogwarts to find Pettigrew. When Sirius had found him as Evan Dursley, he had escaped from his friends and was exploring the shrieking shack; he had known exactly who ‘Evan’ was, because he remembered Petunia Evans-Dursley. After hearing each other’s stories it was agreed that Sirius would live on the farm, as their dog. If Sirius was cleared then he couldn’t live with Harry, because that would have been suspicious, but no one would question a dog living on a farm.

Life was going well for Evan, or it would have been if not for the girl known as Ginny Weasley. After years of knowing the girl, who had always managed to get into arguments with Evan whenever they saw each other, Harry had fallen in love with her. Of course there was no way he could ever tell her that, especially since he couldn’t even tell her his real name. Not to mention the fact that they were barely friends at absolute best and often acted as if they were bitter enemies. Knowing that Ginny would start work with the Daily Prophet next year, she was already interning there this summer, his future was beginning to look a bit dimmer, as his plans to escape her for awhile and hopefully get over her that way, were crashing and burning.

Not that he could really bring himself to really care as he watched her laugh with her brother and friends, his friends too. As they pulled into the train station he said goodbye to them, promising to keep in touch before he spotted his parents and brother and hurrying towards them, and home.
Reviews 16
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear