Search:

SIYE Time:22:23 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


When Life Hands You Lemons, Make Mischief
By casually_a_weasley

- Text Size +

Category: Holidays, The Marauders Map Challenge (2008-6)
Characters:None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Comedy, General, Humor
Warnings: Mild Language
Rating: PG
Reviews: 8
Summary: *** The author has been reminded via the e-mail address on file that this story is listed as incomplete and has not been updated in over 2 years ***

*** The author has been reminded via the e-mail address on file that this story is listed as incomplete and has not been updated in over 2 years ***

Snape seemed to be having some bowel problems judging from the amount of time he was spending in the loo, because Merlin knew he wasn’t washing his hair.

Ginny Weasley, newfound possessor of the Marauders Map, has a few surprises coming her way over her Christmas break. After all, when you mix together a mass murderer, the Weasley genes and one certain Harry Potter, messes are bound to ensue. A adventure of hilarity, discovery and just a little holiday magic.
Hitcount: Story Total: 7796



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
It`s unbeta`d and short, but this is my first attempt at writing in nearly two years, R & R please, as always.




ChapterPrinter




Chapter 1: Because Weasley Men Like Their Bits Intact

Ginerva Weasley — Ginny if you please — knew several things for a fact. One, you must never look a gift hippogriff in the mouth, two, never question what is put into the pea soup at The Leaky Cauldron, and three, that she was unavoidably surrounded by morons.

“Fred, if you don’t hand me back my essay, I’ll....”

Oh brother-or brothers as the case may be. Ginny Weasley had six, and while they mostly came in about the same size and shape, some were more unaccountably irritating than others.

“You’ll what Ron?” mocked George.

“I’ll...I’ll hex you into tomorrow,” quipped Ron smugly, whipping out his wand from the pile of parchment that littered the commons table he was working on.

Unfortunately for Ron, and his ever dwindling pride, he had snagged his quill instead of his wand and now stood ink splattered and brandishing a rather pathetic looking feather. Of course, as in all embarrassing situations, the twins took notice.

“Gonna hex us Ronnikins?” Fred laughed, while George hiccoughed from behind. “I was quite sure even a pillock as thick as you, knew you use a wand to cast a tickling jinx not a feather.”

Ginny had had enough. She had a two scroll essay due for Snape tomorrow, and sod it; she wasn’t going to lose points to the greasy bat because her brothers wouldn’t be quiet. “Would all of you just shut up!”

Except Ginny chose an inopportune time to turn and yell at Fred and George. Looking back to yell at Ron, she saw him pick up his open ink bottle and fling it at the twins, and Ron not being known for his exceptional aim, smacked his sister in the forehead with glass container and spraying ink everywhere.

Now the Weasley boys new some things for a fact as well. One, never cross a niffler in mating season, two, never leave their food under their bed for anytime longer than a month and three, never, ever get their sister mad.

Ron took a flying leap across the sofa and clumsily scrambled up the stair case. The twins nodded to each other, threw a stink bomb and by the time the smoke —not the smell- had cleared they were gone.

Ginny Weasley stood dripping ink onto the carpet, with ears red enough to match the bump on her forehead and one thought in her mind. I am surrounded by morons.

***

It took Ginny a good hour before she had fully scrubbed the ink out of her hair and scourgified it off her clothes, so, by the time she stomped back to the Gryffindor Common Room she was the only one there.

Scowling, and muttering threats to no one, she settled in for a long night of frogs livers and crushed beetles. Barely a minute after resuming her work, Ginny was startled by the twins helping themselves to the seats beside her.

Her scowl deepening, she opened her mouth (to curse them or curse at them she wasn’t yet sure) when the twins interrupted.

Both raised their hands in a gesture of surrender. “Stop. We come in peace!” George said, conjuring a white flag.

“Get it,” added Fred. “He’s one piece, and I’m the other!”

Ginny look less than impressed.

After they finished guffawing, Fred and George took on unusually sombre faces. “Oh fairest sister,” started Fred.

“Of kind and generous heart,” continued George.

“We have come begging for forgiveness.”

“For our heinous and outrageous crimes.”

“We are dogs,” cried Fred, wiping away a fake tear.

“Scum!” agreed George, resuming his theatrical sobs.

But Ginny’s scowl had yet to lift.

“We’ve brought bribe!” chimed in Fred. This at last piqued Ginny’s interest and she looked at the twins.

“I knew that would work,” said George.

“The ladies always appreciate a good bargaining chip,” agreed Fred.

Ginny growled.

George grinned at his sister’s natural impatience and reverently pulled out a piece of worn parchment from his robes. Both twins looked up at her with satisfaction.

Ginny however scoffed. “A piece of grubby parchment. I expected better, even from you two.”

George clutched his heart. “You wound me dear sister. A piece of parchment?”

“This is much more than a scroll. This is a secret to all of our nefarious ways,” continued Fred.

Ginny simply arched an eyebrow in a how-dumb-do-you-think-I-am fashion. Fred merely smiled and touched the tip of his wand to the blank parchment.

“I solemnly swear I am up to no good.”

Instantly the map showed intricate line patterns and various name scrolls dotting along the parchment.

For once Ginny was struck speechless. Well, for a few seconds anyways. “How in Merlin’s name did you two get a hold of this?”

George shot her a very pleased look, “Filched from Filch.”

“And he hasn’t strung you up by your ankles yet?”

“Our ankles and hides remain intact.”

“Well sister, now that we’ve established our perfectly rounded behinds are still attached to our bodies, let us get on to business...”

***

It had taken two hours and some very uncomfortable realizations (Snape seemed to be having some bowel problems judging from the amount of time he was spending in the loo, because Merlin knew he wasn’t washing his hair) for Ginny to become wise in the ways of the Marauders Map.

She sat in one of the armchairs by the fire admiring her newfound gift. Tracing the corridor lines with her fingers, she followed the paths of familiar and unknown Hogwarts residents, mesmerized by the sheer idea that she held a tool quite this invaluable. Thinking of all the yet-to-be done pranking now possible, her eyes wandered over the marks showing the Bloody Baron and Grey Lady floating together towards the grounds. The Grey Lady seemed to exit quite quickly though, for someone so morose, which drew her attention to another figure on the map.

Ginny’s eyes widened. “Sirius Bla-“

Ginny twisted around, ears straining to hear someone padding down the stairs. “Mischief managed,” she whispered hurriedly. Stashing the parchment behind the cushion, she looked up innocently at her late night intruder. Only she knew — but of course never ever fantasised about - this intruder.

Harry Potter stood in the middle of common room entirely unaware that he had company. Oblivious and grumpy, he collapsed into the nearest sofa.

“If Ron has one more bowl of curry and bean chilli before bed I’m going to...”

“Throttle him? You’d be doing us all a favour, except mom, I don’t expect her to be too chuffed. Although you could always just stick a cork in him. Although of which end I’m not sure.”

Ginny, astonished by her own ability to now speak in Harry’s presence, nearly missed Harry jump in surprise.

“Ginny? I didn’t notice you down here,” Harry spoke when he regained use of his nearly swallowed tongue.

“Well unless you know any other red head with a death wish against Ron...” Ginny answered, awed by her lack of stuttering.

Harry seemed to notice too. “I almost forgot what your voice sounded like.”

“Yeah well, when you keep a secret that nearly gets everyone killed, staying quiet doesn’t seem like a very good option anymore,” Ginny muttered darkly.

Even Harry could see the conversation was taking a turn for the worse and tried to switch topics. “So what are you doing down here so late?”

“I was trying to finish and essay for Snape, but decided to take I break. I’m assuming Ron’s noxious gas left you unable to breath, let alone sleep?”

Harry laughed. “It’s like trying to sleep in Hagrid’s dung heap.”

Ginny giggled. “Well, I think I’m off to bed, I’ll just have to finish my essay over lunch tomorrow.”

Walking up the stair case, with scrolls and books in hand, Ginny left behind a pair of curious eyes and a question about a mass murderer she never asked.

***

Ginny had nearly forgotten about the map until Christmas, finishing up all the work she had avoided all term. However, when she recovered the map her hiding place, she had few wicked ideas springing to mind.

Deciding to put aside her ideas for torturing Ron, Ginny discovered that the one thing she wanted presently was to go outside. With Sirius Black on the loose, Ginny’s mothers’ paranoia had reached an all time high, and has disallowed any of her children to go outside unless it affected their education. With threats of life-time groundings ringing in her ears, Ginny decided to make a break for it on the Sunday evening before Christmas. Gathering up her winter cloak and hat, she made her way through the castle, careful to watch the map for one of her brothers sneaking around the corner. Pushing her way through the front door, Ginny tasted her first breath of fresh air in a week. Meandering over to her favourite oak, Ginny settled down to watch the giant squid lazily make ripples across the water with its tentacles.

Setting down the map, Ginny closed her eyes and enjoyed the surprisingly mild winter weather. That is until the gooseflesh rose on the back of her neck and her hackles raised. Scrambling to a standing position, and facing her unknown assailant, Ginny peered by dim moonlight at the creature facing her from ten feet away.

Her first irrational thought was of the Grim. However, when she failed to drop dead, she realised it was nothing more than that of a stray.

Loping towards her, the dog stopped at her feet. Black, scruffy and half starved, the creature was almost as tall as her waist. Reaching out a tentative hand, Ginny gingerly patted the beast. When it failed to bite off her hand, Ginny figured it safe to sit down, and when the dog followed suit, Ginny scratched the dog behind its ears and heard it make a low almost purring-like sound. After a few minutes of scratching, and her hand tiring, Ginny turned to stare curiously at the dog. Cocking her head, and the dog mirroring her, Ginny figured she should just throw sanity to the wind and name the poor thing. I mean I’m already out here with Sirius Black on the loose and cavorting with a possibly rabies-infected dog; people don’t get much crazier.

“I kind of like Gertrude as a name,” Ginny stated. “What do you think?”

Whinging, the dog actually looked offended. It turned around and lifted it’s tail, exposing Ginny to some very telling anatomy.

Ginny coughed, unsure how to act after just being flashed by a mutt. ”Well then...something tells a more masculine name is in order. Hmm, Fluffy will have to do.”

When the dog made to growl again, Ginny shot it a stern look. “You deserve it. Flashing poor, innocent girls. Appalling.”

The dog whined in apology, and Ginny decided to leave it at that. Bidding her canine friend goodbye, Ginny ran back up to the castle, missing that the map pointed out that her newest acquaintance was not exactly who she thought him to be.
Reviews 8
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear