Search:

SIYE Time:11:33 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Reindeer Whisperer
By Spenser Hemmingway

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, Post-DH/PM, Holidays
Characters:None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Fluff, Humor
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 4
Summary: What starts out as a nice Christmas excursion turns into something far more for Harry, Ginny and their family. Will the toy elves rise up in rebellion again long holiday hours without overtime pay? Will Neville succumb to a life-ending paper cut while trying to wrap his gifts? Will the werewolves feast on reindeer flesh? Of course not! This is a family story after all and good old Spenser and I are far too sentimental. Read on true believers! Ho, ho, ho!
Hitcount: Story Total: 4920



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
I’ve heard it said that we are all the sum of out memories and experiences. We in turn impart all that to the future through our children. This is as much a family story as it is one about our favorite Wizarding couple. As always, no reindeer, rabbits, or hedgehogs were injured during the writing of this story. Merry Christmas, and thank you for reading! Eric B.




ChapterPrinter


The Reindeer Whisperer

By Spenser Hemmingway


“There’s nothing sadder in this world than to awake Christmas morning and not be a child.”–Erma Bombeck



“Another magnificent Christmas tree my dear! Splendid indeed!” Ginny told Harry in her best mock stuffy genteel voice. In reality, she was working hard to keep from jumping up and down with excitement at the sight of what we had brought back to the farmhouse–-an eight-foot Turkey spruce that their boys had discovered the previous summer.

“It really is nice, isn’t it? I’m glad you like it so much Ginny. I can’t tell you how much we hated to cut it down,” Harry told her. We could see how hesitant he was to explain the rest of our little excursion that morning.

“I can understand your not wanting to take away something so beautiful,” she admitted. “They certainly are a rare variety for Scotland. Actually, I’ve never heard of… Wait one–-where are Neville and Rosalyn?”

“Well…uhm Ginny, it’s like this…” Ron began. His expression matched Harry’s and mine.

“Oh no, not again! You promised you would look after him this year!” she shouted at the three of us. She was almost smiling though, which hardly seemed appropriate, but wasn’t unexpected. “What was it this year? Neville went through the ice again crossing Miller’s pond? He wasn’t attacked by another roving band of killer snowmen, was he? Was this tree infested with Siberian saber-tooth fizgigs? Those put him in the infirmary for three days that Christmas.”

“No…no, it wasn’t any of those things. You know that Neville has never suffered the same Christmas disaster twice unless…” Harry’s voice trailed off, and I could see that both he and Ron were smiling now, but it was at my expense this time.

“Harry, you didn’t allow Spenser to use the saw?” Ginny yelled again, raising her hands in exasperation. I have this tiny, little sort of…bad luck streak around tools.

“No, no, no!” Ron and Harry said together.

“Come on Ginny. You know that Harry hasn’t let me near tools since the day I accidentally tied myself to the shop pillar with his carpenter’s tape measure.” Did I actually include that in this story? See what happens when you marry your beta reader.

“Ginny, Neville’s going to be fine,” Harry quietly began to explain. “You see…there was this flock of amorous nearsighted penguins, a Tasmanian water balloon juggler…oh right…and those three nuns on snowshoes who…”

“Enough!” Ginny barked. She wasn’t amused any longer. “Harry, why do you let him make up such drivel? Do you have to encourage his fantasies? Spenser, why must all of your wild stories include penguins? You have really overused that plot device.”

“Ginny, there really were…”

“No Ron!” she told at her brother, matching her gaze to her words.

“It’s the truth Ginny. The nuns and the juggler…”

“I said enough Harry! Now all of you need to wash up for lunch. Where are the children?”

“They wanted to go off and dump fetid garbage and dead mice on the Widow Klefner’s front door step. Ron, could you help me clear snow from the woodshed after we eat. I’ll get you that heavy sap kindling you wanted.”

“Right Harry.” Her brother made it five or six steps before Ginny blew up again.

“They’re what?”

“If you don’t believe anything else we’ve told you Ginny, then why should you even pause a second to think about what the kids are actually doing?” She spun back to me with eyes that were about to shoot daggers, or probably something worse. I wanted to finish explaining everything, but my cohorts were already inside. So much for loyalty and mutual support.

“Spenser?”

“They wanted to see something Albie found a draw or two over from where we got the tree. They’ll be fine. You know that they’ll be fine. By the way, you can contact Sister Esmeralda Gabriele Schmitz about what happened to Neville and Roselyn; she’s on the Floo at the Convent of Our Lady of the Blessed Bricklayers–-Hogwarts Class of Fifty-one. The Burgess Meredith/Danny Devito Penguin Preservation Society will back our story up as well. I didn’t get the juggler’s name.”

I couldn’t tell if Ginny believed me–-her face was as frozen as my now gloveless hands. I was suddenly very tired and no longer hungry, so I walked off toward my path home instead of to the warm meal inside the Potter home. If I had known the story that would be produced that day, I would have rushed to their front porch with my quill and pad.


*****



“Albie will you please slow down! What’s so important?” James called after his younger brother as the small group ran to keep up. It was a familiar enough section of the forest near their home, but the snow was deep, and they only had the trail Albus broke to ease their progress.

“Don’t call me Albie! Only Dad and Mum…”

“…and Jennifer get to call you that,” James finished. It was such a familiar exchange that neither Albus nor my daughter bothered to blush again at the reference to the mutual crushes they’d had almost since birth. The two had been best friends for just as long, but despite others’ joking, remained oblivious to anything more. “Slow down! Lily’s legs are too short to keep up in this.” James’ admonition brought a fierce look from the tenaciously independent little girl, but also caused their brother to finally hold up a bit.

“What were you doing out here Albus?” Brenda Llewellyn asked. She was the only one of the group who hadn’t grown up exploring those woods, and, while curious, was also apprehensive about where they were going.

“I was looking for some larger holly bushes. I wanted to get some for wreathes; to surprise Mum.”

Albus stopped, turned, and walked back to his classmate, offering her a reassuring smile. Don’t look for them in Harry’s biographies, but Brenda’s parents had been wonderful friends and an enormous help to Harry and Ginny during the final days of the Great Wizarding War. Both Albus and Jennifer had pressed to have Brenda enjoy the experience of actually cutting down a Christmas tree before the girl travelled back to her home in Wales for the holidays. She returned an appreciative smile of her own, and Albie (yeah, I know–-my daughter says that I shouldn’t call him that either) took it as permission to rush off again toward his mysterious destination.

He ran all out for another minute or two, vanishing over a high point several yards ahead of the others. Reappearing just seconds later, Albus waved them on. The smile had been replaced with a look of worried concern, which surprised everyone and caused them to finally rush forward themselves with Jenny taking the lead.

“What’s so bloody important?” James asked again. “Did you find a pink dragon or something?”

“No–-in fact I found a rabbit, and he’s hurt, or sick, or something.” Albus’ reply got Brenda’s attention especially. Her father Brandon had gone on to become an Animal Healer after graduating from Hogwarts. He had a reputation as being one of the finest in Europe. “Brenda, there’s something you should know about this…”

The young Witch didn’t give him a chance to finish his explanation, rushing past him several paces, but then stopping dead in her tracks. James, Jenny, and Lily all shared her expression once they’d joined her there. Okay, I’ll use one of my five Galleon words, flabbergasted, to describe the collective reaction.

“Crikey! That’s a rabbit?” James somehow managed to sputter.


*****



“You’re not really angry are you Ginny?” Harry asked. He intentionally softened his voice hoping her mood would match the courtesy. She remained quiet at first, concentrating on the stew she was building at the stove. The wonderful smell of Christmas cookies and gingerbread also filled the room, but it didn’t lift anyone’s now subdued moods. Even her ever-hungry brother hadn’t commented about it on his way upstairs to the cache of dry clothing he kept there.

“Yes, I am… No…no I guess I’m not really. Poor Neville. I really was hoping that he could get through one year unscathed, and I suppose that I’m upset with myself for thinking it humorous again. It’s always humorous. I laid into poor Spenser because…I have to wonder sometimes if the accidents are arranged just for the sake of one of his stories. He doesn’t do that though, does he? He doesn’t need to. It seems that our lives have been one outlandish adventure after another, as if someone out there was creating it at a Muggle keyboard. Crazed drunken house-elves…flying bathtubs…giant mice…that Scottish snow-snorter dragon that tried to eat Luna…”

“To be fair, that did scare Spenser half to death. Something else is bothering you, isn’t it?”

“I promise I will apologize to Ron when he comes down, and to Spenser the next time I see him, and I apologize to you now Harry.” Ginny stepped in and gave her husband a brief but very tender kiss. “Rabid penguins Harry?”

“The little guys stampeded. Forty or fifty little tuxedos charging the juggler (he had one on as well for some reason) who let go with his water balloons. The one hit the nun, and she and her gang mistakenly laid into Neville. Now he’s scared of circus clowns, geckos, and crazed…”

“But what were they all doing…?”

“Ginny what’s wrong?” Harry wasn’t going to allow her to change the subject again.

“I really don’t know,” Ginny admitted more quickly than she had intended. “Just as Ron and you returned…just as the snow began to fall again, I felt the strangest thing.” She set down the large spoon and moved to look out their large kitchen window. Where were the children? Ginny could barely see the barn across their yard in the building storm. Albus, James, and Jennifer knew the woods and mountains around Hogsmeade as well as they did their own bedrooms; the boys would look after Brenda and Lily. Still, if Ginny’s force of will could do so, she’d have reached out into the forest and pulled them all safely home that instant.

Crack! As if responding to her silent request, the sound of an Apparation startled Ginny from her worried thoughts. She moved to the door, but Harry was already there, pulling it open to admit James, Albus, and…

“What is that thing?” Ron asked from behind them before Harry and Ginny could. Neither had heard him enter the kitchen.

“A rabbit. We’ll explain later. We need help,” James stammered. He was obviously scared about something or for someone.

“You’ll explain now!” his mother told him in her patented don’t argue with me voice.

“The short, fifteen second version,” Harry sternly clarified.


*****



Our cottage is situated roughly a mile away from the Potters’ farmhouse, but with the blowing snow hitting my face as I walked, it felt as if it was twice that. While the family did keep its London Grimmauld Place house, with James and Albus in school, the Hogsmeade farm had become almost their exclusive residence. It had always been the site for their Christmases. Ron and Hermione, in turn, lived maybe three miles further north. We had been neighbors since just after graduation, which made the holidays all the more special.

Ginny’s reaction to our outlandish explanation hadn’t really upset me too much. After all those years I was actually used to it. Something else was eating at me, and I couldn’t decide what was wrong. The increasingly harsh weather almost felt good as I walked, helping to ease my headache and my angst. For some reason, we rarely Apparated between our homes. It was almost as if it were poor manners or something. I also needed the exercise.

The forest surrounding the path was in fact very beautiful in the afternoon light and with the snow draped over it that way. It was all very Christmassy, but the setting didn’t alleviate my bad feeling. Neither did the sight of Rosalyn Longbottom and her son Matthew running to intercept me. Her hand was heavily bandaged, which I didn’t remember being injured during the nun attack. Their faces confirmed and intensified my worry.

“All right…what’s wrong?” I shouted to them over the wind. “Where’s Neville? What did you do to your hand Rosie?”

“They’re keeping him overnight at St. Mungo’s. Sister Blutogaard did a real job on his head with the snowshoe.” She smiled then. “I did as much to Hannah Abbott’s jaw. The woman never gives up. She somehow found out Neville was coming there, and she showed up with flowers and in a Santa suit with a ridiculously short shirt. The hussy has been trying to steal Neville away from me almost since our honeymoon.

“I…guess I can understand that.” Yes, true believers, if you haven’t figured it out yet, this is my alternative universe. I’m the crazy American who came to finish school at Hogwarts, met the pretty blond girl, and decided to stay. Oh, and our Rolf Scamander lives in south Florida where he operates a nudist beach (new meaning to the term naturalist). “Now once more–-what’s wrong?”

“Aunt Ginny just Flooed your house Uncle Spense. She needs you back at the Broom Farm.”

“What? Why? Where’s your Aunt Luna?”

“She told us that you can’t come home until she’s done wrapping presents. I’ve never seen anyone try to wrap a hedgehog…oh I’m sorry.” Matthew’s expression changed dramatically after revealing the gift, but there was clearly something more. “Aunt Luna said that she had to wait to see if Nicholas would Floo from America like he promised.”

My son had returned the favor and opted to attend my old Wizarding academy in the mountains near Salem as an exchange student. No, the other one–-Salem, Oregon. After graduating, he enrolled at Anacreon University where he was studying Arithmancy (mostly Muggle mathematics). Nicholas wrote us about how he wasn’t sure if he would be able to travel home to Scotland for Christmas–-he was behind in some of his schoolwork. We suspected that he had met a girl of his own over there. I could understand what Luni was feeling–-her wanting to speak with him. First things first however.

“Ginny was upset with me when I left. Blasted penguins! Why would she…?”

“Brenda and James came back to the house without the others,” Rosalyn quickly interjected.

It took me perhaps two heartbeats to understand, disregard our custom, and Disapparate back to the Broom Farm. I was already running when I materialized–-to the porch steps and through the front door within five seconds. Rushing up the stairs ahead of me was James; he seemed to be carrying a large bundle of towels…no, blankets. Despite calling out in a loud voice, he didn’t hear, or was simply ignoring me. I was running again to catch him. I finally did at the door to one of the guest rooms where the teenager hesitated.

“Mum and Dad went out after them. Uncle Ron left with Brenda to fetch Doctor Llewellyn–they’re not on the Floo. We need to be quiet in here. He’s finally sleeping.”

“He? Who’s he?” I asked, quickly lowering my voice at James’ pleading look.

“The rabbit…the white rabbit we found. He’s sick.”

“Rabbit? Who…Babbity Rabbity?” He didn’t answer, but instead slowly opened the door for me. That sufficed. “Holy hoppity, hop, hop! That’s not a rabbit! That’s…okay, I guest it is a rabbit. We probably don’t want Elmer Fudd to hear about this one. All right Jimmy m’boy, start at the beginning, and explain to me what’s going on.”


*****


Earlier



Lily Potter is her parents’ daughter. Pretty and freckled like her mother, she also inherited Ginny’s temper and stubborn streak. From Harry, she acquired a need for glasses, a strong desire to stand up to bullies (even at that age and size), and most especially a predilection for getting into (and an uncanny talent for getting out of) trouble.

“Ouch Lily! That hurt!” James shouted, clutching the shin where his sister had just kicked him.

“You’ll get worse than that if you mention Grandmum’s stewpot and the poor rabbit in the same breath again,” the six-year-old replied in a surprisingly ferocious voice. Albus and Jennifer stepped in between the two, but the little girl forcefully pushed through them. “I want to help the bunny!” she demanded.

“No, you’re too little. Let us handle this,” James slowly told her in a quiet, infuriated tone of voice. He instantly regretted speaking to the small child that way, but the damage was done. They each took a step away from the other.

“Lily sweetheart, maybe it would be better if Brenda had a look,” Jennifer began.

“Her dad is a vegetarian after all.” Albus knelt down next to Lily hoping to press his point and to calm his sister if he could. He should have known better.

“I believe that he means my father’s a veterinarian. We eat meat…as long as it isn’t someone we knew. We need to move the poor thing out of the snow. I think under the circumstances we can safely lift him; maybe that bare spot under the tree.”

The boys stepped in to help, while Brenda did her best to see if the furry, long-eared guy had any obvious injuries. Jennifer held back, staying out of their way, knowing that their friend was extremely knowledgeable about such things. Everyone fully expected Brenda to follow her father into his chosen profession. Still further off now, Lily was again…no still fuming.

“You can’t help cut down the tree. It might fall on you,” Uncle Ron had told her.

“Why don’t you let us carry the tree Lily,” Dad had said. “It’s heavy and we’re not going to levitate it–-tradition.”

“Don’t try to pet the penguins, kiddo. They’re foaming at the mouth. See what they did to that juggler,” Uncle Spenser had warned.

Kiddo? I am not a baby! I’m a big girl! I can help! I can help! The trouble was that they never let Lily do anything of the kind. She was only good for frosting sugar cookies, or playing with her toy ogre, or looking cute for the Christmas card photographs.

Lumos. James, could you hold the light up so I can see his eyes. Oh Crikey!” Brenda gasped. “Look at his eyes!”

They’re not paying attention to me! They don’t need me! They never need me! I’m not even going to ask them again, Lily thought. She decided what to do then.

“We need to get him back to the farm right away,” James told the group.

Of course, we do! I can help! Please let me help! No, you won’t let me will you. I’ll go find my own bunny! Maybe Mr. Rabbit has a friend! Yes, that’s it! I’ll go find his friend, or his mummy, or… I’ll just go and… Lily had no idea what she needed to do exactly, except that it had to be something. She had to get away from the others. I’ll show them that I’m not a baby! Naturally the little girl then acted just like one.

Lily was several feet back from where the others tended to the rabbit. She was able to slowly back away, trying not to make crunching sounds in the eight-inch-deep snow. Bright enough to understand, Lily then stepped into the area tramped down with their arrival, knowing that it would help mask the direction she would first take. She was very pleased with herself when she made it out of sight into the heavy woods without anyone noticing. No, that just confirms that I’m not that important. I’ll show them! Lily lifted her chin and decided on what she thought would be a good direction. She began to run then.

It was to Jenny’s credit that only two or three minutes passed before she noted Lily’s absence and raised the alarm. It was to the older brothers’ embarrassment that they hadn’t. Leaving the rabbit to James and Brenda, Albus joined the other girl in trying to locate the six-year-old. He suggested that perhaps his sister had merely needed to go use the little Witch’s tree, but the toilet paper was still in Jenny’s daypack, and Lily had been ordered repeatedly not to go off on her own. The girl obviously didn’t think much of being ordered about.

It took less than five minutes to determine the route Lily had taken, but five more following the footprints yielded nothing. That was when the snow began to fall…heavily. The wind picked up as well, but even with the protection the trees might afford, Albus and Jenny knew that it would be getting much colder soon, and there wasn’t much time left until sunset. He left his friend to mark to trail, and rushed back the way they came for the others.

“You need to get the rabbit home, or he’ll die!” Albus shouted after explaining the situation to James and Brenda.

“Our sister may die if we can’t find her!” James correctly countered.

“Brenda doesn’t know the way back, and she’s not licensed to Apparate–-you are James! You could be there and back with more help in five minutes!”

“You could lead her home.” James knew that it was a wasted argument. His brother was unlicensed as well, it would cost them at least three quarters of an hour in getting that help on foot, and there wasn’t a snowman’s chance in a dragon’s lair Albus would ever separate himself from Jennifer. “Blast it!” James yelled, but immediately grabbed a hold of Brenda and the rabbit, Disapparating home.

Albus took a deep cleansing breath, lifted his face to the sky to gauge the weather and allow the snow’s cold to help clear his thoughts. Three maybe four seconds elapsed, but no more before he was again jogging off to find his friend and baby sister. He forced himself to ignore how the snow was already covering the impressions left on the ground.


*****



Over the next ninety minutes, luck was with the fifteen-year-old. That is if you include bad luck in that description. When Albus had returned to where he had left Jennifer, she had not been there, correctly guessing no doubt that she had to move on immediately or risk losing Lily’s trail completely to the falling snow. Now the boy was on the verge of panic having lost two of the people for whom he cared most in the world.

Without the tracks to follow now, Albus resorted to crisscrossing the area, working in a general direction, and screaming the girls’ names as he went. To his credit, the boy was keeping a cool head (no pun despite the weather) and acting in a rational manner. The fear would come later. The cold would catch up with him as well then. For the moment, he had a duty to find two people he loved.

The sun was well below the treetops if not yet the horizon when the first help arrived–-his parents in that case. Matthew Longbottom and I were far off to the east, closer to where we had brought down the tree. James and Ron had gone directly to where they found Mr. Bunny, who was, at that moment, being treated by the good Doctor Llewellyn and his assistant Nurse Brenda. It was Harry and Ginny who first came across the nearly frozen Albus. The sight naturally scared his mother, more so when she thought of her little girl in similar condition. They immediately ordered him home, but he was his parents’ son as well.

“No Mum I will not. I love you, but there is no way I’m giving up!”

“Young man you will…”

“Young man Dad? How old were you when you saved Mum from the basilisk? How old were you when you faced the dragon in the Tri-Wizard competition? How old were you the first times you faced Voldemort?” The boy was screaming now, as scared at being sent away as he was at the thought of losing the girls. Neither parent missed that it was one of the only times Albus had ever used Voldemort’s name. “Dad, you were only a couple years older than I am now when you finally defeated him. Please…please don’t tell me I’m too young to help.” Albus paused here and took a deep breath of the cold air, again feeling the need for it. “We told Lily that she was too young to help and that’s why she ran away I think. She could have helped somehow you know. We could have let her. We didn’t believe she could do it, and that was as bad as not paying attention to her when she left.”

Harry’s face was dark. He didn’t move at first, but then took a step toward his son, drawing his wand as he did. Albus expected a mild stun bolt followed by a quick Apparation home for those words to his parents. Instead Harry applied a quick warming charm, and then looked his second son straight in the eyes, finally grinning at him.

“Albus, you’re as dense as your father,” Ginny said before Harry could offer any comment. “As soon as we get home, I expect you to take Jennifer into the parlor to show her the garlands you made–-the ones hanging in the corner.” Fortunately, she offered Albus a quick smile as well. “Don’t wait for the celebration after she wins the Quidditch cup for you.”

“What?” the confused boy asked.

Without another word Ginny turned and started into the darker part of the forest, in a direction Albus hadn’t searched yet. She somehow felt that it was the right way to go. Harry moved to catch up with her, while Albus trailed behind.

“Garlands Ginny?” Harry whispered to her, almost as much at sea as their son was.

“Yes Harry, right there below the mistletoe he’s forgotten he hung. Our boy is growing up Harry, and I think he needs a bit of a nudge forward.”

Harry smiled, drifted off to the left, and raised his now lit wand to increase the illuminated area. It didn’t help much, and, for some reason, the locater spells didn’t at all. They had moved into that area nearer the school that was the Forbidden Forest Its enchantments had been known to hamper some magic just as Hogwarts did. At least the charm he had placed on his glasses was keeping them clean.

Harry thought about the day he had taken his little girl to get hers at the Diagon Alley optician. She was too young they said for vision corrective spells–-something he had never bothered with either. Lily had been so proud to be given a set that was identical to her father’s. Harry was proud of her in turn, and a bit amused as well when his four-year-old daughter’s accidental magic formed jet black circles around her brothers’ own eyes. They’d resembled raccoons for a week, and never again joked about Lily’s eyeglasses.

Ginny was thinking of the girl as well as they moved forward–and another day in the Alley. It was Lily’s fifth Christmas, and she’d asked to see the charmed carousel on display near Fred and George’s joke store. Lily had pulled away as Ginny talked with Susan Bones and her Muggle husband. The man was a plumber, and was offering her all manner of non-magical, yet extremely sensible tips about weatherizing water pipes. Insulation? Was that what he called it?

Finally noticing that Lily had wandered off, Ginny scanned the crowd around the wooden horses, eventually spotting her on the far edge of a parted crowd. Lily had her hands on her hips (as she would do when cross or displaying her stubborn streak), and was looking up, shouting something at a much older blond boy, probably twice her height. Is that Draco Malfoy’s son? Ginny wondered.

She started moving in that direction to rescue her daughter–-too late. Malfoy made the mistake of bending down to taunt Lily, and the five-year-old responded with an upward swing of a very heavy purse, which knocked the boy back and drew blood from his nose. Lily had been carrying her mother’s purse for her, and it was laden with a fair number of Galleons fresh from Gringotts for their Christmas shopping. Ginny grabbed Lily’s hand, gave Malfoy a look that dared him to come near her daughter again, and quickly led the girl out of the courtyard.

“I’m sorry Mum. No, I’m not. He was telling everyone that there was no Father Christmas; that his parents gave him everything he asked for. He was making my friends cry. I probably broke his face, didn’t I? Oh…does this put me on Santa’s naughty list?” It didn’t. Lily received a nice ice cream sundae for her brave stand.

The storm was beginning to let up, but the sun was gone and not even a hint of moonlight appeared to replace it. Harry and Ginny came closer to combine their wands’ glow, which did improve the illumination, but over a narrower area. All at once Albus came barreling past them, almost knocking his parents down and scaring them with the realization that he had found something…no someone they hadn’t seen.

Ten or twelve yards ahead of them, huddled under the low hanging branches of a Zoolahbang oak (named for the renowned Wizarding arborist and three-time all Britain curling champion Paul Bunyan Zoolahbang), was my mostly frozen daughter Jennifer. Albus slid more than ran the last few steps to her, and instantly had her in a tight embrace (which he later unsuccessfully tried to explain away as simply being an effort to warm the girl). She began to cry when she recognized who it was, and then so did he (something he also denied).

“I couldn’t find her! I couldn’t! I should have waited for you Albie! Uncle Harry…Aunt Ginny I couldn’t…I couldn’t…” Albus applied the warming charm, and pulled her closer again, just for extra measure no doubt.

“It will be fine now Jenny,” Ginny told the girl. See, the snow has stopped. I have a very good feeling suddenly. Yes, yes…I know where Lily is now.”

“You do?” the two teenagers said together.

“Come on Harry. You two catch up with us when you can. The moon is finally coming to help now, and you should be able to follow our tracks easily enough. We’re turning west.” Ginny looked to the sky and squeezed Harry’s hand when she noted he was looking up as well. The clouds had unexpectedly parted almost as if by someone’s hand. The forest was brighter then, and for some reason so was Ginny and Harry’s moods.


*****



Lily Luna Potter was, and is, every bit as stubborn as I’ve made her out to be in this story. She was not stupid however, despite what her little stunt might suggest. Ten minutes after leaving her brother and friends her fiery anger had abated and she felt embarrassment replace it. How could they stop treating her like a baby if acted the way she had? The fear came next. Snow was falling hard and…that tree ahead of her looked familiar. Was she running in circles? She called out several times but doubted…no knew it was a waste of energy. The heavy snow was muffling everything. Lily was on her own.

Naturally, Lily had nowhere near the experience in the woods that her brothers did. They never seemed to want to bring her with them when they went exploring. The few times that Mum had made them take her, the trips had been cut unexpectedly short. They didn’t want their little sister tagging along. The memory suddenly made her angry again, and the little girl wisely stopped herself before allowing it to once again control her actions.

On the other hand, Uncle Rebeus had always been willing to take time to bring Lily with him into that sector called the Forbidden Forest. That scared her mum at first, but, in time, even she welcomed the chance to improve on Lily’s education. What had her adopted uncle always said to do when lost? It was better to let the others find you–-stay in one place. It was essential however that you have protection from the elements. Lily’s face was completely numb from the cold. The girl looked to her left and saw the ground rise from where she was, perhaps to a hilltop. That would help if the snow eased and someone was searching from a broom.

Lily began to climb. Despite sore, cold muscles, and a hungry feeling building in her stomach, she knew it was important to keep going. The increased exercise actually warmed her, but Uncle Rubeus had also warned her about sweating too much in the cold. When you stopped, it could freeze to you. After perhaps ten minutes, Lily reasoned that she had gone as far as her legs would carry her. She was suddenly so tired. She needed to rest…to sleep for just a few minutes, and then she could start on to the top again.

Like Jennifer would do, Lily selected a spot under a canopy of low hanging branches with a patch of clear ground and a bed of pine needles to lie on. Removing her heavy jacket, she used it instead like a blanket and her own arm as a pillow. She was soon on the edge of sleep, hoping for visions of meeting her own funny-looking white rabbit.

Instead, she found herself dreaming of just the weekend before and a trip into Hogsmeade Village with her parents. Her brothers would be coming home soon for the holiday break, and, as always, the family was preparing a wonderful feast for them. It didn’t matter that Hogwarts was only a few miles from the Broom Farm, or that they saw James and Albus at least at every school Quidditch match. The homecoming meant the official start of Christmas, and that, in turn, brought with it Mum’s cranberry glazed hams and Grandmum’s famous moonberry pies.

Lily walked down the street in her dream, each hand joined in one of her parents’. The shops were beautifully decorated. Three different choirs they passed regaled them with magnificent carols. The candy store almost literally called out to Lily, but its wonderful treats would have to wait until after her important mission. There he was before her. The man she needed to see. The man the merchants had set up, protected from the weather by a rustic hut they had assembled for him and his numerous visitors. It was Father Christmas.

No, Aunt Luna had explained. It wasn’t really him. That gentleman was terribly busy that time of year preparing for his special ride. This was one of her Uncle Nicholas’ helpers, but any messages would be passed along she assured Lily. Aunt Luna would know. Santa was her godfather after all. Nicholas Hemmingway had been named for him in fact.

Lily walked up to the hut, a bit surprised that the other children she had remembered as being there were nowhere to be seen. She turned to comment about this, but her mum was gone–-so was her father. Lily was suddenly very frightened.

“It will be fine Lily. I believe that you wanted to speak to me.”

She faced Father Christmas again, and began to walk toward him. Something was different this time. “How do you know my name?”

“I know a great many things my dear.” He smiled, and Lily knew.

“Wait…you’re the real Father Christmas! You’re Aunt Luna’s Uncle Nicholas!” she somehow managed to whisper.

“Yes, I am, and you may call me that as well. I’ve already told your brothers that they may do so. Now Lily, I believe that there is something special that you would like for Christmas. I would very much like to hear you tell me about it.”

“I…I can’t.” Lily turned and began to walk away. “I’ve been too naughty. I ran away.”

“You’re very sorry for that aren’t you?” Somehow, he was now walking beside her. He startled her even though Lily knew it was a dream. “I believe that you’ve learned more than one lesson today.”

“All I wanted to do was help the poor bunny rabbit. No one wanted me to. No one thinks I can do anything.”

“Lily, I think that you will find that they all regret treating you that way now, but please remember that you are still only a little girl. That can be quite a challenge for everyone sometimes. Ho, ho, ho! It can also be a lot of fun as well. Now, what would you really like for Christmas?”

“I’d like an official Red Ryder carbine-action two-hundred-shot range model air wand…oh, with a telescopic sight please.”

“I don’t think so my dear…you’ll shoot your eye out. Is there anything else?”

Well I had to try. “Yes Santa…I mean Uncle Nicholas. I’d like to go home now. I want my mummy and daddy, but…I want them to let me help sometimes.”

“Ho, ho! Now that is much, much more sensible my dear.”

Lily saw him reach out and felt him brush her cheek with his gloved hand, and then gently close her eyelids.


*****



A moment later she woke to someone…no something nuzzling her side. Reopening her eyes, Lily found that she was no longer in Hogsmeade, but rather back under the tree with…no, this she wasn’t sure she believed. It was a reindeer, and he was wearing a whistle around his neck and a blue baseball cap on his head.

We’ve been expecting you.

“Excuse me did you just say something?” Lily asked, jumping to her feet. For some reason she was warmer now, but that didn’t help her legs, which were still asleep. Lily stumbled back and grabbed a branch for support. “You can talk?”

We can communicate when we have to, and if the boss permits it. You’re a Witch aren’t you?

“I’m a very tiny Witch Mr.…”

Comet. Do you know anything about flying? I mean on a broom obviously, but even that would be a help this evening.

“My dad builds racing brooms, but he won’t let me fly one until I’m eight.”

Looking past the reindeer, Lily saw a number of them of different sizes and ages prancing about a large clearing that she hadn’t remembered seeing earlier. At several places around the edges, there were torches to illuminate the area. To its center was a large bonfire about which a few of the deer were warming themselves. Occasionally one of the animals would take a running leap into the soft breeze and then take to the air, spurred on by others with coaches’ hats. Was this one of the reindeer games Lily had heard about?

“Oooh…may I please watch for a while? Please.”

You can do better than that. You can help. I seem to have this one new recruit named Olive, and she needs a bit of an encouraging pep talk…I mean if you’re up to it. We’ve really never used female reindeer on the teams, and she’s a bit intimidated.

“I thought that there were just eight of you. Excuse me–-there would be nine with Mr. Rudolph.”

We’re the anchor team. The boss uses relay sleds going around the world like he does. So, can you help us?

When I began to actually write down this story, I confirmed one thing right away with my Luni. Reindeer do indeed love to receive hugs from little girls such as the one Lily delivered.


*****



“Hello dear Father.”

“Good evening daughter. Are you well?”

“Quite well Father.”

“Glad to hear it. Nasty weather we’re having.”

“Yes, it is, but I foresee an early spring. Mother’s begonias should be outstanding.”

“Quite right my dear.”

Yeah right! Like that’s how I’d ever greet my little girl after she scared ten years off my life! When Matthew and I were able to join up with Harry and Ginny’s little party, I tackled my daughter, and came close to cracking her ribs with that hug.

“Spenser,” I finally heard Harry say, “I know that you and Albie aren’t related by blood, but…”

“What?” I finally let go of Jenny and she began desperately sucking for air.

“Between the two of you the poor girl is going to need Ron’s old Keeper’s armor. Come on–-we’d best be going. Ginny knows where Lily is.” Harry moved to follow his wife, and the rest of us fell in step close behind them.

“Huh, how?” I called to him, almost running to keep pace.

“The same way that Albie and then you found Jennifer no doubt,” Harry replied without looking back.

A quick glance at the boy and my daughter, only inches apart, told me the rest, and I laughed. “Well it’s about time they started to figure it out–-and at Christmas time too. Nice touch for the story.” Only Matthew heard me, and not surprisingly didn’t understand.

Another ten minutes of travel brought us over a small rise and within sight of a large, flat clearing maybe fifty yards off. It was well-illuminated and had the large bonfire in its center as I described earlier. I could barely make out what was happening down there, and I, for one, was extremely curious. If Ginny and Harry were, their suddenly turning back toward the trees belied it. I was a loss until Nicholas stepped out to meet them. No–-not my absent son, but rather the jolly old guy after whom he was named.

He spoke with Harry and Ginny for a few minutes, and the kids and I gave them their privacy–-reluctantly. After almost an eternity, the older gentleman started toward us while the couple walked off in the direction of the reindeer games. Again, we respected their unvoiced request to let them go on alone. One thing I noticed, and I somehow knew from where they came, Harry and Ginny were both carrying brooms.

“Good evening Nicholas. How are you?”

“Fine Spenser, fine. This was a nice break from the workshops and Mrs. Claus trying to fatten me up with Christmas cookies.”

“You and Sandy are still on for dinner on the twenty-eighth aren’t you?” Yes Nicholas’ wife is Sandy Claus. What else would you expect? “Luna’s planning on making eggplant parmesan.”

“We’ll be there. Now go ahead and ask Spenser.”

“Boy, you are good. I think I know though. Lily doesn’t need a whole search party rushing in there. She just wants to talk to her mommy and daddy. You got involved because…”

Because Lily is my goddaughter’s goddaughter, and because I really did need an hour away from the Tickle-Me Troll Dolls. I do need to get back now however, and you, in turn, need to get these teenagers back to the farmhouse as well. Luna and Rosalyn are there, and very worried about their own children. We’ll see you next Thursday. I’ll bring the wine. Oh, and could you ask Lily not to leave out the cinnamon butter cookies this year. I think that I’m mildly allergic to the hazelnuts in them. Thanks Spenser.”

“Thank you, Santa.” With a twinkle of his eyes he was gone.


*****



Lily let out a wild whoop as she banked hard to the left. Ginny cringed at the sight, especially since the child was only holding onto the reins with one hand. She and Harry had warned her about that, but they couldn’t blame the girl’s exuberance either. Lily did grab on tight as she directed Olive into a barrel roll, but let go completely, waving both hands over her head as they came out of it and began another steep climb.

Harry maintained his position to the reindeer’s right with Ginny on the opposite side ready to react if something went wrong. It wasn’t easy. No broom ever produced could match the speed of one of Santa’s team. It was amazing that only an hour before Olive wasn’t expected to ever fly.

Uncle Nicholas and Comet had wanted to have Lily spend some time with the youngest reindeer that evening simply as a token gesture to cheer both up. What happened, however, was nothing short of miraculous. Where the coaches had encouraged, trained, and advised, Lily resorted to soft conversation and paying close attention. She told Olive how her family didn’t seem to have faith in her either…they never gave her the chances to do the things she knew she could do. All too often…almost always…they never let poor Lily join in any Wizarding games.

Perspective, kind words, and the girl’s ability to listen…all of it did far more than rigid instruction ever could for Olive. The two began to walk about the clearing. They talked some more (or the equivalent in the reindeer’s case), and about nothing in particular for the most part. Sometimes they would stop to watch the other reindeer play. Once or twice Lily would ask a question or point something out to her new friend. She marveled at how a deer could actually laugh in its own way.

Lily began to skip as best she could in the snow. It was an art that all small girls have mastered at that age. Olive saw and matched Lily with her own four-footed gait. Stopping after several minutes, the girl whispered something to the reindeer, who then nodded, lifted her chin to sniff the air, and then moved off alone at a much faster cadence. Lily didn’t notice when the coaches approached, or that her parents were with them. The child’s eyes…everyone’s were on Olive as she broke into a run, bounced, and then leaped onto the wind, flying off into the night.

The reindeer were speechless (well…you know what I mean) at seeing the other reindeer not only up in the air but soaring about as if she was born to it. Comet, Cupid, and Dasher all tripped over each other with compliments to Harry and Ginny about their amazing daughter. Lily finally noticed they were there and ran to them. It was every bit the reunion I’d had with Jenny, but with a few stern words thrown in–-very few for the moment. It was a time then just for more hugs.

Olive remained in the sky for perhaps another five minutes, coming to earth again just feet away from the three Potters. The reindeer insisted then that she be permitted to give Lily a ride. Ginny, while anxious, knew that they had to allow it, both for the girl and for Olive, now that both had acquired their confidence. Magically, a small saddle appeared on Olive’s back, which Harry carefully inspected before lifting his daughter aboard.

He and Ginny understood then the early Christmas gifts they had been given. Harry’s broom was a one-of-a-kind custom-made model branded with the name Arabel. It was the very same one that his father had flown at Hogwarts when he played Quidditch there. The younger James would take it with him when he returned to school after the first of the year. Ginny, in turn, held the famous Tromed Love, completely restored. It had been the first broom Harry had built, named such to mock the Death Eaters (essentially Voldemort spelled backward), but supposedly lost during its first and only race.

Olive once more amazed the audience when she instantly took to the air again without so much as a step for the typical running start. Harry and Ginny both told me later that they had never expected to hear a herd of reindeer oooh and ahh that way. Just as they were about to follow them up, the couple was approached by who they believed to be Prancer. He offered them further compliments regarding Lily, and then pleaded with them to allow the wonderful girl to help them with future training.

“We’ll think about it,” Ginny told him, which I’ll take the liberty of translating as an emphatic yes.

The air show lasted maybe twenty minutes, and toward the end they noted how most of the herd had taken to the sky to join them. It even turned into formation flying of sorts, and I, for one, dearly regret having missed it. Lily guided Olive into a flat trajectory, and she begged the deer to give them every once of speed she possessed in order to race the brooms. Olive complied, but only to a point, wisely remembering the young age of her passenger. As a grand finale, two dozen reindeer came on line and as one performed a perfect super dooper double looper that the parents easily matched.

The flight moved off to the Broom Farm then, circling it long enough to get our attention, and to teach the older children a lesson about what small six-year-olds can sometimes accomplish. A short time later inside, the boys received a severe lecture about looking after their sister. Lily underwent her own scolding and was given a parchment full of chores as punishment (it was much longer than some children’s Christmas wish lists). Regardless, when Mommy and Daddy tucked their little girl in that night, they couldn’t miss the great smile Lily had as she fell to sleep.


*****



Christmas proper in Hogsmeade always begins the day before. Our families put the final touches on decorations, complete our gift wrapping (the hedgehog unfortunately got away), and most especially shift into high gear with some serious cooking. Everyone gathers late in the afternoon at the Broom Farm for an incredible meal, to which we all contribute. Our home, as is Ron and Hermione’s, is every bit as large as Harry and Ginny’s, but theirs has the Weasley-class kitchen and dining area, and it’s always been the obvious choice. It was also the closest to both the school and the actual village, from whence a number of visitors always dropped by for a bowl and a plate of Christmas pudding.

By early evening we had all thrown in with a share of the cleanup, gathered our portion of the leftovers, and moved off to our respective homes. The next day Hermione would host a noon brunch, allowing the adults to display our new sweaters and the children their new toys. Lily was especially proud of her new Red Ryder wand, and not at all annoyed when five different people applied a protective charm to her glasses. Luna and I actually received the best gift out of the group, and my wife’s spirits were finally lifted when our son appeared at the brunch with a new fiancée named Sara. Yes, in fact she does have fiery red hair, deep brown eyes, an infectious smile, and just the right smattering of freckles across her face.

That night everyone was always completely exhausted, but it was a good kind of exhaustion. Lily was bundled up all snug in her bed with her new toy wand clutched in her hands and the reindeer figurine she’d found in her stocking looking on from the nightstand. Albus hadn’t returned yet from walking Jennifer home, and would be a while yet since he and I were having a little friendly talk. I guess that it won’t hurt to tell you how two years later, almost to the day, my little girl had her own fiancé.

“Would you like some more pumpkin juice Ginny?”

“Please.”

The woman felt as if she would never be able to rise from the kitchen table but looking across to the sink and its stack of dishes, Ginny knew that she eventually would have to. Frumpy was not going to be burdened with those. House-elves deserved days off at Christmas as well. A knock at the back door suggested that she would have to get up sooner rather than later. Ginny silently thanked Harry when he went to answer it first.

As he opened the door, they saw that their visitor was an extremely pleasant looking man with a long tan winter coat and a brown fedora hat. He had a wonderful smile that immediately drew you to him and just a touch of mischief in his eye. Both Harry and Ginny decided they liked the gentleman on the spot. He removed his hat, tucked his chin just a tad, and was clearly embarrassed with the intrusion.

“Uhm, uhm I’m…I’m very sorry to bother you at this hour, but I’m looking for a friend of mine. I was told that he might be here.” His breath spelled of firewhisky, but those eyes were clear, and his speech was not slurred in the least. “My diminutive new acquaintance here brought me.”

Looking past him, Harry saw the Christmas elf–-taller, ornately dressed, and with more humanlike features than Dobby or Frumpy’s variety would have. The little guy gave the Wizard a quick wave and popped off then.

“Excuse me, my name is Elwood P. Dowd. I’m from America and in Scotland with my niece and her family for the holidays. Ah yes, my friend came over with us as well. He knew of your village and its wonderful taverns, and he suggested that we visit. Actually, I wouldn’t have been able to find it without him. You see, I’m not magical the way you and he are. I’m…uhm…I forget what he called me.”

“You’re a Muggle?” Ginny asked, joining Harry at the door and immediately motioning for their visitor to come in out of the cold.

“That’s the word. Yes…thank you my dear. I don’t suppose that you’ve seen him?”

“He wouldn’t happen to be a six-foot white rabbit, would he?” James stood at the kitchen door with the large bunny, and his and Elwood’s and respective smiles told the others that this was who the Muggle was seeking. The rabbit hadn’t been sick…exactly. They had had a bit too much at the Three Broomsticks one day, and both had gone off in different directions to sleep it off and to enjoy their hangovers. In the rabbit’s case, that meant the woods where they’d found him.

“Hello Harvey. Are you ready to get back to Glasgow now?” As a reply, the rabbit hopped over to and then out the door, pausing just long enough to nod a quick thank you to his hosts those past three days. “By the way, Harvey’s a pooka if you didn’t know. Most non-magical people aren’t able to see him for some reason. You have a wonderful evening now and thank you. What’s that Harvey? Yes, you may have a window seat for the flight home.”

Harry slowly closed the door after them, and then turned to face Ginny. She returned his baffled yet amused gaze. Neither knew what to say after that strange, strange visit. Ginny finally stepped over to fetch the pitcher of pumpkin juice from the table, taking it then to the large icebox they’d inherited from her Great Aunt Tessie. Harry, tired, and with muscles sore after the day, almost made it back to his chair. Unfortunately, Ginny made her little discovery first.

“Sweet chocolate sauerkraut! The wascally wabbit! Harvey ate the entire carrot cake we had left. I was hoping to make it last until Sunday…teenage boys or not! Where is he? Where’s my wand? Where are my roasting pans? I’m going to fricassee him!”

Harry couldn’t hold in his laughter, try as he might. Our boy moved over to Ginny, took her in his arms, and gave his wife her final Christmas gift. No, those two never needed the mistletoe in the corner.

“Happy Christmas Ginny. Go to bed now James.” The boy was still at the kitchen door watching his parents with a stupid, silly smile on his face.

“Happy Christmas Harry…mmm…ho, ho, ho!”

Mischief managed!



A/N: In the credit where credit is due department: The Red Ryder wand is obviously a twist from the movie A Christmas Story. Sandy Claus was thought up for a nice film called Snow; the super dooper double looper from Santa Claus: The Movie; and of course, the six-foot white rabbit Harvey is from Jimmy’s Steward’s classic film of the same name. Apologies to Mr. Devito and the late Mr. Meredith who both portrayed the Penguin; to all Tasmanian jugglers and to reindeer trainers everywhere; to the magnificent Mel Blanc who brought Bugs and Elmer to life. Remembering those from my school days, I was in point of fact quite kind in my portrayal of the nuns. Anacreon University is from my two actually published novels–-The Juggler’s Girl and Fifty-One Main Street Katie (with T. J. McGowan). Nicholas and Jennifer (Luni or Loony) are my children’s name.
Reviews 4
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear