Search:

SIYE Time:22:39 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Promise
By hgromance

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:None
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 2
Summary: Songfic. Harry realizes that his strength comes from his love and tries to earn it back. Sequel to One More Day but can be read independently.
Hitcount: Story Total: 4362



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
This is the sequel to One More Day but it's not necessary to read that one first. I want to thank Simple Plan for creating such a wonderful song called Promise. It just seemed to fit Harry's POV. This is how I had imagined it should have gone in the books.




ChapterPrinter


Promise



Brea kdown
I can’t take this
I need somewhere to go
I need you
I’m so restless
I don’t know what to do


It’s been several weeks since the end of term, since the end of Harry’s happiness. Harry’s happiness died when Dumbledore had been murdered. He had a job to do now. A job that would eventually lead him to fulfill his destiny, to kill Voldemort. Harry had been dating Ginny and he’d been deliriously happy, until Dumbledore’s death. He felt it necessary to leave her in order to protect her.

Most of the time, he could be found in his room. When he first returned to Privet Drive, he’d been numb. He spent hours lying on his bed staring at the ceiling. Now, the four walls were beginning to close in on him but he couldn’t leave. He paced back and forth from his bed to his door. He wished something would happen so he’d have something to do. Something to keep his mind off all the pieces that were his heart.

Ginny! I miss you so much. I don’t know how it happened in such a short time, but I love you. I hope you can forgive me. I don’t know how I’m going to stand being back at The Burrow, seeing her, being close but not being able to touch her. I’m just going to have to endure it.

I’ll let you be right
If it stops you from running away


Harry finally arrived at The Burrow. Mr. Weasley and Ron greeted him. Molly left the kitchen to give him one of her typical Weasley hugs. The youngest Weasley was conspicuously missing. He found her in the kitchen helping prepare lunch. He stopped in the doorway and stared. She looked good, amazingly good. His resolve nearly crumbled when she turned and their eyes met. He was unsure if the tears he saw were due to the onions she was chopping or to something else. She quickly turned away and he sighed.

Lunch was nearly unbearable. He had no idea what he ate; he couldn’t taste any of it. Of their own accord, his eyes kept finding Ginny. She still had the power to mesmerize him. Each time he looked at her, he got the feeling being apart wasn’t right. He was afraid his heart was right but he was also afraid it was too late. He’d hurt her, he knew he had. He didn’t deserve another chance. He’d already been given one and look what he’d done with it. She looked up at the same moment his eyes found her, again. His heart did its little dance it always did when he and Ginny had been together. He looked away first.

He sighed when she fled the table. I’m not sure I can do this. I thought I was doing the right thing, but I don’t know anymore. I don’t know anything anymore. Harry glanced at Ron, who glared back. Ron still hadn’t gotten over Harry breaking it off with Ginny.

When he couldn’t eat anything else, he excused himself and went up to his room. He flopped stomach down onto the bed. His elbows rested on the pillow, his head in his hands. He was so confused. Dumbledore’s words kept repeating themselves in a haunting mantra. He couldn’t possess you because of your capacity to love. It was your heart that saved you. Being able to love is your greatest strength.

He was finally beginning to understand what it was Dumbledore was trying to tell him. When Ginny had been in his life he felt like he could take on anything and win. Now, he didn’t even feel like fighting. Maybe I was wrong to push her away. How do I fix it?

Harry left his room and went in search of Ron. He and his dad were in the living room finishing a game of chess.

“Harry, want to play?” Ron asked.

“Sure.” Harry was a bit distracted and knew he’d play worse than ever, but it was something to do until he could figure out a course of action.

Part way into the game, Ginny stepped into the living room. She froze when she saw him. Harry looked up and their eyes met. He almost admitted everything, that he’d reconsidered and wanted her back but she turned and practically ran outside. What if she doesn’t want anything to do with me anymore? How can I talk to her if she won’t stay in the same vicinity as me?

Without you I go through the motions
Without you it’s just not quite the same
Without you I don’t want to go out
I just want to say
Don’t walk away


After the game he went back up to his room. He collapsed onto the bed and stared at the ceiling. If I can ever get her in the same room, I’ll just tell her how I feel. With any luck she’ll take me back. Please, please, please let her take me back.

A knock on the door startled him out of his reverie. When the door opened revealing Ginny, he leaped off his bed. She’s here! I can’t believe she’s really here, in the room with me. She doesn’t look happy to be here, that’s not a good sign. She took a breath like she was about to say something so he said the first thing that popped into his mind.

“Gin, I need to tell you something.”

Harry motioned for her to take the seat at the desk. He waited to see what her reaction would be. After what appeared to be a great debate, she took the seat he offered her. She continued to watch him warily. He sat on his bed, back braced against the wall. Now that she was here, he seemed to be tongue tied.

“I’ve done a lot of thinking since I came back here. Being here, seeing you again made me realize I wasn’t really living after I left. Oh, I ate, I slept, I wandered the house when I felt up to it, but I did it because I had to, not because I wanted to. Somewhere along the line, I realized the color had gone from my world. I didn’t understand what it meant until I came back. Dumbledore told me something at the end of fifth year that I hadn’t understood until now. He told me my heart had saved me from Voldemort’s possession that year. He said that my ability to love is my greatest strength. I guess, what I’m trying to say is that I don’t want to go out there and face Voldemort without us being back where we were. I was strong then because of you. Without you I’m nothing. ”

By the time he’d finished that little speech, his voice shook with tears he refused to shed. Ginny stood up and fearing she was about to leave for good, he jumped up and reached out toward her.

“Don’t walk away,” he begged.

Give me this chance
To make the wrongs right
We’ll be just fine this time
I promise I won’t let you down
If you take my hand tonight


“Please, Ginny. Can you find it in your heart to take one more chance? I know I messed up and don’t deserve it. I’ll do anything to make it up to you. I know we can make it if you’ll just try. I swear to you that if you say yes you won’t regret it. I won’t let you down again.”

Harry held out his hand and waited. She stood there studying him. Suddenly she launched herself into his arms and knocked him back onto the bed. She removed his glasses and kissed him everywhere, eyes, nose, chin, before connecting with his lips. The kiss Harry gave her reinforced everything he’d said to her. It was a passionate kiss filled with longing, love, and promise.

Finally, Ginny pulled away, tears running down her cheeks.

“Everything you said, you promise?”

Harry smiled, happiness filling him to overflowing, tears leaking from his own eyes.

“I promise.”
Reviews 2
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear