Search:

SIYE Time:19:19 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


What Could Dancing Do?
By GinnyMarie

- Text Size +

Category: "Baby, It's Cold Outside" Challenge (2008-1)
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Comedy, Fluff, General, Humor, Romance, Songfic
Warnings: Intimate Sexual Situations, Mild Sexual Situations, Sexual Situations
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 14
Summary: After months of no contact with each other, Harry and Ginny are thrust together during a blizzard due to extenuating circumstances. Will one be able to convince the other to stay?
Hitcount: Story Total: 6344



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
Hullo!

I know it has been quite a while since my last story, and I apologize to the extreme for this. I have had some health issues lately that prevent me from writing and reading. Also, my hard drive died on me, and I don't know if it will be able to be recovered. My dad doesnt think so, but I'm still attempting to see if it can be. All my stories were on there. O.o

Anyway. This is for the challenge. The setting of this is a private joke between my friends and I. I think you will understand it, and if you do not, let me know in a review or private message.

Thanks to Adam, Diya, Skylar, and I'm sure there is someone else for reading over this. And thanks to Katie for beta-ing. I greatly appreciate this. *hugs all* Yes, even you Adam.

I love the ending. And a lot of this cracked me up while I was writing it.

And oh my...a challenge done by me thats actually under 10000 words? O.o




ChapterPrinter


What Could Dancing Do?



Ginny Weasley’s limbs shook as a shudder ran down her spine.

It was the dead of winter in Scotland and here she was, out in the middle of a blizzard, attending to Slinker Grattings for her Care of Magical Creatures class. Although she knew it was her weekend to tend to creatures’ habitat, this fact did nothing to ease her shivering body. She was very miffed, however, that even though her warmest cloak was wrapped tightly around her frame and she had two warming charms in place, neither things seemed to do much for the cold.

“Honestly,” she said harshly to the freezing, thin air. “I must be the only person in all of Scotland that is mad enough to be out in this weather.” After a few more minutes of making sure the environment for the Slinker Grattings was fully established, she gratefully stood from her post, headed up towards Hagrid’s cabin, and slipped inside.

As she entered, a fire roared up in the fireplace and Ginny felt warmth flood over her immediately. Hagrid, upon seeing the snow covered grounds at breakfast, had given her permission to kip into his cabin for a cup of tea, after she was finished with her duties, of course.

Rubbing her stiff hands together, she picked up the small kettle from the table, filled it with water from the tap, then set it over the fire to heat. Finally, she peeled off her snow-crusted cloak, hanging it near the fire to dry, and plopped down into one of the large, pillowed chairs surrounding the hearth.

--

I really can't stay (but, baby, it's cold outside).
I've got to go 'way (but, baby, it's cold outside).
This evening has been (Been hoping that you'd drop in)
So very nice (I'll hold your hands, they're just like ice).
My mother will start to worry (beautiful words you're humming)
And father will be pacing the floor (listen to the fireplace roar).

--


Ginny was just starting to drift off a bit when a knock sounded at the door. Slightly startled, but thankful for the distraction, she stood and went to the door. Opening it revealed a black-clad figure huddled up against the swirling snow. The figure bustled inside and pealed off his cloak before turning to look at her. She felt a small thrill of satisfaction when she saw his eyes widen in alarm then dart around for an escape.

“Hi Harry,” she said softly. His eyes locked on hers for a brief moment before he looked away and began scratching the back of his neck.

“Hello Gin,” he replied in a gruff voice, studying the wall intently. “Is Hagrid going to be back soon?”

Ginny felt a stab of pain when she noticed that he still wouldn’t look her in the eye, but at the same time, she expected it. He hadn’t looked at her properly since Dumbledore’s funeral when he had broken up with her. She fought back the anger that inevitably followed the pain and answered his question.

“I don’t know when he’ll be back. I was out back attending to the Slinker Grattings for my Care of Magical Creatures class. He wasn’t here when I got here, and that was at least an hour ago.” She stared intensely at his face. He had dark circles beneath his dull eyes, a sure sign of having gotten no sleep in months. It broke her heart to know how much he was suffering.

“Oh, okay. I’ll talk to you later, I suppose,” Harry said as he hurried to sling his cloak back over his shoulders but Ginny put out a hand to stop him.

“Harry James Potter,” she said sharply, sounding like her mother, “you are not going back out in that! It’s a blizzard out there.”

“Ginny, I…” Harry stuttered. “I can’t stay here. I really can’t.” He glanced the small room nervously. “If I do…well, I just can’t.” He jerked away from her and swung his cloak on.

“At least stay long enough to get warmed up a bit?” she said, stepping a little closer. “Have a cup of tea. I’ve already got the kettle on.” He looked uncertain for a moment but when a shiver ran through his lanky frame, she knew she’d won him over.

--

So really I'd better scurry (beautiful, please don't hurry)
Well, maybe just a half a drink more (put some records on while I pour).
The neighbours might think (but, baby, it's bad out there)
Say, what's in this drink? (no cabs to be had out there).
I wish I knew how (your eyes are like starlight now)
To break the spell (I'll take your hat, your hair looks swell).
I ought to say no, no, no sir (mind if I move in closer?).

--


“Fine, but just long enough for a cup of tea,” he told her sternly, finally holding his eyes on hers for longer than a second. When they finally broke eye contact, Harry removed his cloak once again and hung it next to hers before seating himself in one of the chairs. “How are you doing, Ginny? I haven’t talked to you lately.”

“That’s not my fault, if you remember,” Ginny replied succinctly as she took two mugs, a store of tealeaves, and cream and sugar from one of the cupboards.

“Ginny,” he said in warning. She let the store of tealeaves fall to the table with a loud thump in upset. She was really growing tired of this wolf and mouse game they seemed to be caught up in.

“Dammit,” she swore. “You know, Harry, someday we are going to have to talk about what happened.”

“Someday, yes,” Harry said quietly. She turned around to see him staring into the fire, the flickering flames reflecting in his glasses. “After everything is safe again.”

“The world is never going to be safe, Harry, and you have to accept that fact,” Ginny told him softly. His head spun to look at her and she knew he saw the truth in her statement.

He nodded before speaking again. “I know the world will never be safe, but right now it is worse, and I don’t want to endanger your life like that. I’m sorry, Gin, really, I am.”

His voice caught and she realised that it caused him a lot of pain to not be with her. She turned back to the table and put the tealeaves in the cups, then stepped over to the fire to take the kettle off the spit, bringing it to the table to pour.

“Two sugars and a cream, right?” Looking over her shoulder, she saw him nod. She spotted a few cinnamon sticks in a jar in the middle of the table and decided to grind a bit in each of the cups, like Charlie did for her when she was younger. It usually calmed her nerves if she was upset. She hoped it would relax Harry just a bit.

“Here.” She handed him his mug, went to the wireless to switch it on, and then settled in the seat across from him.

He took a sip and a puzzled look came over his face. He took a longer drag of the tea and raised an eyebrow. “What’s in this?”

“Cinnamon,” Ginny answered with a smile as she breathed in the smell of the tea. “It helps relax you. Charlie used to make it for me when I was younger and mad at something the twins had done to me.”

“Oh. It’s good, Gin.” He took another drink of the tea and closed his eyes, leaning his head on the back of the chair.

“Harry, don’t,” she said after a moment. He looked up at her, a question in his eyes. “Don’t call me Gin,” she elaborated as a pain shot through her chest.

“But, I’ve always called you Gin,” Harry argued confusedly.

“No, you haven’t. You started calling me ‘Gin’ when we started dating last year. Before that, I was always ‘Ginny’ to you.” She met his eyes briefly before breaking contact and staring into the flickering flames. She felt his intense stare burning into the side of her head. She saw, from the corner of her eyes, the hurt look painted firmly on his face. She felt guilty yet, at the same time, she knew it was necessary to tell him this; he couldn’t keep calling her that. It only made her want to be with him more.

“I’m sorry, Harry,” she whispered.

--

At least I'm gonna say that I tried (what's the sense of hurtin' my pride?).
I really can't stay (Oh, baby, don't hold out).
Ah but it's cold outside (baby, it's cold outside).
I simply must go (but, baby, it's cold outside).
The answer is no (but, baby, it's cold outside).
The welcome has been (how lucky that you dropped in)
So nice and warm (look out that window at that storm).

--


“It’s fine,” he responded gruffly. She heard rustling and looked over to see him standing up. She scrambled to her feet just as he was swinging the cloak on. “I better go. Ron and Hermione…well, we have stuff to do. They’ll get worried.”

“Harry,” said Ginny with some worry. He opened the door but didn’t step out of the cabin. Puzzled, she came up behind him. Peering over his shoulder she found that the snow had increased by at least a foot and it was still coming down. Harry glanced back at her before stepping out onto the porch, looking as if it were the last thing he wanted to do. She stepped out into the cold behind him, her arms crossed over her chest.

“I’ll talk to you later, Ginny,” said Harry. He gave her an awkward side hug before stepping into the snow. She watched in amusement as he was immediately succumbed to the knee in snow.

“Harry,” she said, stifling her laughter. “I think you might not want to go out there just now.”

He waded towards her, climbed up onto the porch, and sat down with a thump, staring helplessly at his snow-covered legs. “I have to go though,” he said. “I really shouldn’t stay.”

“And how, pray tell, do you plan to get to the castle?” she asked as she knelt next to him. “We can’t even see it from here because of the snow. Besides, it’s far too cold out here for you to even attempt to go to the castle.”

“Ginny, what will people think if they find out we were both down here…alone…in Hagrid’s cabin?”

“Hopefully dirty things,” she joked but sobered at his glare. “Honestly, Harry. You’ll catch your death out there. I’m sure people will understand that we both got trapped down here.”

“Maybe we should see if the Floo is connected,” Harry suggested as he stood and walked back into the small house and straight to the fireplace, he desperately searched the mantle for Floo powder.

“Harry,” Ginny said, “how large is that fireplace?”

He looked over his shoulder at her before looking down at the fireplace. “It’s about average size,” he said.

“Could Hagrid fit in there?”

“No, probably not.”

“Could he fit in most fireplaces?”

“Nooooo,” he said, drawing the word out. He faced her, an annoyed look on his face.

“Then would there be any reason for him to have Floo powder?” She watched as comprehension dawned on his face and threw his cloak off his shoulders and settled back into the chair. Ginny smiled slightly and bent down to pick up his cloak, hanging it up once again. “Harry,” she began awkwardly when she caught him shivering. “You should take the trousers off.” She felt her face heat up but continued, “It’s not good for you to be in wet clothes. You might catch something.”

“I’m not taking off my trousers, Ginny,” he answered through gritted teeth. “I’ll take them off when I get to the castle.” In one quick motion, he grabbed his cloak again and rushed past her, opening the door and running straight into the snow. She just shook her head, grabbed her own cloak, and followed him out into the cold.

She couldn’t help but laugh when she found Harry face down in the snow, not moving an inch. “Harry,” she called. His hand rose in a rude gesture, which only caused more laughter. She stepped into the snow, sinking down in it until it was just above her knees and was forced to drudge towards him. “Up you come, Harry.”

It took several attempts to get Harry out of the thickening, wet snow. The first two ended up with him sinking farther into the white bank and the third attempt had him up at first then falling back down. Around the fifth try they were finally successful; Ginny, however, ended up flat on her back, her bright hair flecked with bits of white.

“Well, look what you’ve gotten yourself into, Weasley,” mocked Harry with a smirk.

“Get me outta here, Potter,” she warned as she sat up. She glared at him, though only her head and shoulders were above the snow and she was glaring at him. He reached forward and pulled her up and out of the snow, both stumbling backwards onto the porch, Ginny sprawled on top of Harry. It seemed like forever before either of them made a move to stand, but when they did it was a fast scramble from the ground. Awkwardness filled the air as they stood on the porch until Ginny made the first move and went back inside.

“I’m fre-eezing,” she stuttered, ridding herself of her soaked cloak and looking down at her waterlogged clothes. “There’s nothing for it,” she said as she began unbuttoning her trousers.

“Ginny!” Harry’s voice cracked. She stopped turned to see him with wide eyes staring like a deer caught in the wand light.

“Harry, I am freezing. My clothes are soaked. I am taking them off. I will leave my knickers and bra on, so just act like we’re at the pond or something and I’m in a two piece bathing costume.” She turned back and let her trousers drop to the floor before pulling her shirt over her head. “I suggest you strip down too. You’ll get sick otherwise. Trust me.”

She turned back to Harry to find him without his glasses on, staring at the far wall. She decided then and there that he was too noble for his own good. With a sigh, she went to the linens cupboard and took out two heavy, patch work quilts, throwing one over herself and handing the other to Harry.

“I’m covered up. You can put your glasses back on now,” she said as she slid his glasses onto his face. He closed his eyes immediately and she let out a sigh. “Harry, open your eyes. I’ve got a blanket around me.” He squinted one eye open to check and, seeing it was safe, opened both.

“Ginny,” he said through gritted teeth, “never, ever do that to me again.” The giggle that escaped her lips caused a glare to be sent in her direction. “I’m serious. You…you just have no idea what that did to me.”

“Got you all hot and bothered, did I?”

He continued to glare at her for another moment. Then, turning his back, he took his shirt off and then shucked his trousers. “You better not be looking.”

“Parish the thought,” Ginny said in a mocking tone. “I would never do anything like that.” Harry turned around to meet her eyes with another intense stare. She was hit with a moment of light-headedness and she acutely felt all the blood pumping through her veins. His chest was more defined than the last time she had seen him without his shirt and his boxers were a bright red. “How about you take off those pants too?” she suggested playfully.

“No,” said Harry sternly as he wrapped himself in the blanket she had given him. “Is there any more tea?” he asked in a poor attempt to change the subject.

“I can make some more up,” she said with a smirk. “It will only take a moment.”

She turned the wireless up before setting to the task of making the tea once again. One of her favourite songs was playing and she began belting out the lyrics as the band sung them.

“Oooh,” she sang. “I forgot to mention one little thing.” In most circumstances, she would admit that she was singing slightly off key, but to her, this was acceptable; her brothers were Fred and George, after all, who were as tone deaf as they came. “Baby, it seems that someone was spreading rumours about you and me. Someone said there was dancing, singing, and moving to the grooving.” She heard a tortured laugh and looked around to see Harry trying to mask his amusement. “Are you laughing at me?”

“Of,” he said between snorts, “course not. Why would I be laughing?”

“My singing isn’t that bad,” she told him crossly.

“Just a tad off key,” he coughed and smiled.

“I really should hex you, you know,” she said to him as she put the kettle back on the fire after pouring a bit of water into each of their cups.

“Probably, but you won’t,” he said self-assuredly. She turned to look at him and her heart stuttered. He was smiling, truly smiling, for the first time in six months. She felt happy to know that she had put the smile on his handsome face. He was all the more handsome when his face was lit up in glee.

They were quiet for a few moments before he stood up to get his cup of tea. She had been mesmerised for a moment and forgotten about the warm beverage.

“Thanks for the tea, Gin…Ginny. It’s really good.” He offered her a shy smile and as he took a drink she saw a flash of his toned chest peak out of the blanket.

“It’s no problem, Harry.” There was an awkward silence after that and Ginny wanted nothing more than for it to disappear. Luck came her way when she noticed a slow song playing and an idea struck her. “Harry,” she said quietly.

“Hmm?” he asked, looking at her.

“You didn’t dance with me at the wedding,” she stated matter-of-factly. “Dance with me now?” She gestured towards the wireless. “Please.”

“Ginny…”

“Harry, what is one dance going to do?”

“It could do a lot.”

“It could, but then again, it could do nothing. Shouldn’t you take that chance?” He studied her for a while before nodding, placing his cup on the table and stepping towards her. She put her cup, scarcely touched, on the table as well and wrapped her arms around his neck. The blanket fell down around her like a sleeveless dress. She felt his hands tentatively rest on her waist and she leaned her head on his shoulder.

--

My sister will be suspicious (Gosh, your lips look delicious),
My brother will be there at the door (waves upon a tropical shore).
My maiden aunt's mind is vicious (gosh, your lips are delicious).
Well, maybe just a cigarette more (never such a blizzard before).
I got to get home (but, baby, you'd freeze out there).
Say, lend me a coat (it's up to your knees out there).
You've really been grand (I'm thrilled when you touch my hand).
Why don't you see (how can you do this thing to me?).
There's bound to be talk tomorrow (think of my lifelong sorrow),
At least there will be plenty implied (if you caught pneumonia and died).
Really can't stay (get over that hold-out).
Ah, but it's cold outside (ah, but it's cold outside)…
Where could you be going?
When the wind is blowing,
And it's cold outside?
Baby it's cold, cold outside.

--


Before she knew what happened the two of them were softly kissing as they swayed to the music. She briefly registered the name of the song as ‘There’s Nothing More Dangerous Than A Boy With Charm,’ before succumbing to the taste of him. She had missed this so much; never before had she felt so at home than when she was in his arms and she knew, deep down, that his arms were the only ones she ever wanted to be in.

Soon they weren’t even dancing but instead urgently kissing one another. She felt the blanket drift to the floor and delighted at the feel of his hands on her bare skin as he buried one in her hair and let the other rub circles on her back. Their tongues fought for control and she eventually let his win, knowing she would get her chance to explore his mouth soon enough. Her hands, which had been safely in his hair, began wandering the contours of his chest and back, pushing his blanket away to get more access to his glorious skin.

She would later reflect that they had gotten carried away but laying in his arms afterwards, wrapped in blankets and in front of the fire, she felt nothing but bliss and contentment. She let her index finger trace his muscles as his hand played in her hair and she knew that he was just as happy with the way things had turned out as she was.

“Harry?”

“Mmm?”

“What are we going to tell people if they start wondering what happened down here?” she asked as she looked up at him.

“The truth,” he said simply. “We got holed up here because of the blizzard and since Hagrid doesn’t have a need for the Floo we had no way of getting out. We attempted to, but that that venture wasn’t successful. All we have done is sit and talk things out.”

“Are we back together then?” her eyes, she knew, were shining with hope and when he placed a kiss on her lips that was all the answer she needed.

“Yeah, we are,” he said softly, staring at the ceiling. “But I may not be here.”

Ginny sat up, adjusting the blanket to cover her, and looked at him. “What do you mean?”

“Ron, Hermione, and I have to leave the castle soon. We have stuff to do,” he said sadly.

“Well, I’ll come with you then,” Ginny said with defiance, already knowing his answer would be no.

“You can’t Ginny. We won’t be gone long, hopefully. A month, at most.”

“When are you leaving?”

“In the next few days. McGonagall knows, of course, and she’ll make appropriate excuses for us,” Harry said as he sat up and hugged her to him. “I’ll be back, I promise.”

He guided her back down and she felt tears prickle in her eyes. “If you…ever change your mind…about leaving…leaving me behind…”

“I won’t.” His voice was stern and she nodded, deciding to just enjoy the moment with him, knowing it might be the last one for quite a while. “I love you, Gin.” Tears welled up in her eyes, spilling over her bottom lids and she attacked his lips with hers, kissing him deeply and thoroughly.

“I love you too, Harry,” she whispered in his ear. A little while later, as they were once again recovering from their activities, a particular thought ran through Ginny’s head and she snorted. “Harry,” she said with barely giggles. “I’ve just thought of something.”

“What’s that?”

“We could have used a drying charm on our clothes,” she said. His eyebrows rose for a moment before he began laughing.

“Yes,” he said after a moment, “we probably could have. But I think I quite like how things turned out, don’t you?”

“Mmm,” she agreed as she hovered over him. “Definitely.” She kissed him again, knowing that she would never tire of his taste. For a moment, they were so caught up in each other that neither heard the sound of the front door opening and big boots coming in.

“Blimey!” a booming voice called.

Immediately the two detached themselves to look towards the door where a large silhouette stood.

“HAGRID!”


A/N: Thanks for reading. Reviews appreciated. ^_^

Reviews 14
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear