Search:

SIYE Time:11:06 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Now and Forever
By Abraxan

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley, Ron Weasley
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Fluff, General, Romance
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 238
Summary: Harry’s first year in Auror School and on the London Lions is marred by his memories of the war.
Hitcount: Story Total: 143244; Chapter Total: 5590





Author's Notes:
Since this and the next chapter are shorter than usual, I’m uploading both at the same time! ENJOY! Many thanks to my brilliant Brit-picker, Kelpie, and my fabulous betas, Alexander, Asad, Iris and Rich! Thanks too to Mark Anders Harrison for help with a Latin incantation, and Mike McKean for his help with a sports question!





ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Harry was sleeping better since staying with Remus and Tonks, but he still had nightmares fairly often. His current pleasant dream became frightening, with the sound of a woman crying out somewhere nearby. Harry moaned in his sleep, trying desperately to recapture the cheerful dream he’d been enjoying, but the woman cried out again. He sat up, his eyes wide. That was no dream!

Harry grabbed his glasses and shoved them on as he ran for the door, his wand at the ready. He heard Tonks cry out again. Merlin zoomed over his head and flew into the open door of Remus and Tonks’ room. “What’s going on?” Harry cried as he rushed into the room.

“She’s in labour,” Remus said. “Oh, Merlin, I’m glad you’re here! Could you get the midwife for us? The baby seems to be coming fast. I’m afraid to leave her.”

Merlin flashed out of sight.

“Is there anything I can do?” Harry said, standing uncertainly just inside the door.

“Yes!” Tonks cried. “My back! Please, Harry, can you ease the pain for me?”

“Yeah, I’ll try,” Harry said, sitting on the edge of the bed. He tried to keep his eyes on Tonks’ face. He wasn’t certain he was ready to see a woman give birth, but he was here and she said she needed him, so he’d do what he could. He slid his hand under her back and used his healing gift to spread warmth and comfort through her taut muscles. “I don’t feel any injury,” he said hesitantly.

“I’m not injured, I’m just in―” she gasped and grunted, then continued, “―labour. It’s hard work and makes your muscles ache.” She moaned a bit more, then sighed. “You have wonderful hands, Harry. Thanks.”

Harry smiled, amazed that Tonks could go from crying out in pain to giving him a tired but cheeky grin in a matter of moments. “What happens now?”

Tonks snorted. “The baby arrives at some point.”

“Well, I knew that, but―” Harry was interrupted by the arrival of the midwife, who didn’t seem to appreciate being transported via phoenix.

“Get off me, you bloody bird! What do you think―oh! Professor Lupin! And Tonks. So it’s time, eh?” the woman said, bending to examine her patient. “You, boy, out! And you too, Professor!”

“They can stay―” Tonks began.

“No, they can’t. If I need ’em, I’ll call ’em,” the old woman replied.

“I’m sorry,” Tonks said as the two men left the room, followed by the bossy midwife.

“I’ll be right here if you need me,” Remus said just before the midwife slammed the door in his face.

“I thought husbands were with their wives when they had babies these days.” Harry frowned at the door in confusion. “I can see why she’d throw me out, but why you?”

“Madam Ophelia is old, and old-fashioned, as well. She doesn’t think much of men, and certainly not around pregnant women,” Remus said, sighing heavily. “She wasn’t our first choice of midwife. I suppose her daughter’s busy with another delivery tonight or she’d be here. I’d hoped to be with Tonks for the birth.”

Harry grabbed his godfather’s arm and shook it. “Remus! It’s your wife, your baby and your house! Go in there and stay!”

Remus looked at him for a long moment, then nodded. “You’re right.” He opened the door and was met with a tirade from the midwife. Remus turned and raised his eyebrows at Harry as he closed the door, making Harry chuckle.

Through the closed door, Harry could hear Remus’s calm but determined voice, the midwife’s shrewish tones, and Tonks’s voice over all, demanding quiet and that Remus stay. Harry grinned. Tonks is in charge there. That’s how it should be.

He sat down in the hallway, leaning against the wall, too excited to return to bed. Too worried, too, actually. Women sometimes died giving birth. What was he thinking, wanting Ginny to have loads of children? Why should she risk her life just because he wanted to be surrounded by a big, happy family? He listened anxiously to the sounds coming from the room, holding his breath when things were quiet, nearly jumping out of his skin when Tonks cried out again.

Harry got up and began pacing, wishing he’d managed to sleep through this whole experience. There was no possibility of sleep for him now. He knew he’d be straining to hear what was happening, and if he did get to sleep, he’d just have bad dreams about women in labour. Frustrated and anxious, Harry paced back and forth in the short hallway, only stopping when Remus finally opened the door, his face glowing with joy.

“It’s a boy!” Remus said with laughter in his voice. “A boy! And he’s beautiful!”

Harry grinned. He’d never seen Remus so happy. “Congratulations! How’s Tonks?”

“She’s fine! Come and see the baby,” Remus said, opening the door wider.

When Harry entered the room, he saw the midwife still fussing around, but Tonks was beaming at the tiny bundle in her arms.

Harry stood and looked at her in wonder. She’d been in pain just minutes ago, yet now she looked positively radiant!

“Come on, Harry. Come and see your little brother,” Remus said.

Harry felt gobsmacked. His mouth opened and closed a few times with no sound coming out before he managed to say, “My . . . my brother?”

“By the decree of your godmother, you and Matthew are brothers,” Remus said, leading Harry to a chair by the bed, “and I have to say I think it’s a grand idea.”

“Here you go, Harry,” Tonks said, offering him the baby. “Meet your brother, Matthew Remus Lupin. Matthew for your grandfather Potter who was always so kind to Remus, and Remus for his daddy.”

“I thought about naming him James or Sirius, but I thought you might want to use those names for your sons when they’re born,” Remus added.

Harry felt his gut clench as he took the baby in his arms. He glanced up as Remus made certain the baby was settled properly, then sat down beside Tonks.

Harry swallowed hard as he gazed down into the tiny face. He was terrified to be holding a baby for the first time, and such a tiny one! Hesitantly, he touched the baby’s soft cheek and laughed when Matthew wrapped Harry’s finger in a tight grip.

“Hi, Matthew,” Harry murmured. “It’s nice to meet you. You’re a lucky boy. You have the best parents in the world.”

“And the best big brother in the world,” Tonks said with a hint of her usual impishness.

Harry looked up at her and grinned. “The most surprised big brother in the world, I expect. I didn’t know I was having a brother. Thank you, Tonks. I’m honoured.”

“We expect you to teach him all that big brother stuff, like collecting chocolate frog cards and climbing trees,” Tonks began.

“And flying,” Remus added.

“No problem!”

“You lot need to leave her alone to rest now,” Madam Ophelia said in a stern voice. “And let that baby rest, too. Handling him too much is bad for him.”

Remus winked at Harry before standing to face the woman. “Thank you. I’ll see you home.”

“No, Remus, you stay with Tonks and the baby,” Harry said, uncertain how to get up with a baby in his arms. Remus relieved him of the baby and Harry got to his feet. “If you’ll just give me a moment to change, Madam Ophelia, I’ll be happy to take you home.”

“As long as there are no birds involved,” the midwife sniffed, giving Merlin a wary look.

Merlin, who’d stayed perched on the curtain rod ever since bringing the midwife to the house, ruffled his feathers and looked disgusted, then took off for Harry’s room.

Harry managed to hide his smirk. Merlin had said some rather rude things about the midwife, things only Harry could hear. “No, no birds this time.” But I could change into a thestral and fly you that way. The thought of her reaction made him snort with laughter, a fact he did his best to disguise as a cough as he went to his room to change so he could take the woman home.

* * * * *


Harry continued to have frequent nightmares. He offered to go back to Grimmauld Place so Remus and Tonks could get more sleep, since the baby was now waking them several times a night, but they wouldn’t hear of it.

“We’re your family and you need us right now,” Tonks insisted. “You’re staying here.”

Harry squirmed uncomfortably in his chair at the breakfast table, wishing he could find some polite way to refuse his godparents’ kind attention.

“No arguments,” Remus added. “I know you think you’re a bother, but you aren’t. When you become one, I’ll toss you out on your ear, how’s that?”

That was enough to make Harry laugh.

“I have to get to school early today,” Remus said, folding his napkin and standing up. “I’ll wash the dishes before I leave.”

“I don’t have to leave for a while, Remus,” Harry offered. “I’ll clean up here.”

Remus smiled, then bent to kiss his wife and baby. “See you later.”

After Remus left, Tonks walked the floor with Matthew, who couldn’t seem to stop crying, while Harry washed the dishes.

Harry watched her gently patting the baby’s back as she paced back and forth, back and forth across the small kitchen. Matthew had cried quite a bit during the night. Tonks looked exhausted. Harry dried his hands and walked over to Tonks, holding his arms out for the baby.

“You look so tired. I can walk him for a while.”

Tonks helped him get the baby settled in his arms, then sat down again. “I am tired. I never knew such a tiny child could make so much noise.” She smiled wearily. “I think he’s going to be a rock star, he’s got such strong lungs.”

Harry smiled at her small joke. He bounced the baby gently, rubbing his little back as he walked. Matthew gave a resounding belch, then sniffled and sighed. Harry chuckled. “I think he’s tired too.”

“He likes to be rocked,” Tonks suggested.

Harry sat in the rocker and rearranged the baby in his arms, smiling down into the sweet little face. “You’re growing so fast,” he murmured.

“He is. And he’s tired. Look at that yawn,” Tonks said.

Harry sat rocking the baby, who seemed determined not to go to sleep. Every time his eyes closed, he’d jerk awake again.

“Am I doing something wrong? I thought he’d be asleep by now.”

“Try singing to him. That usually works.”

Harry bit his lip. “I don’t know any lullabies, Tonks.”

“That worthless aunt never sang to you, did she?”

He shook his head.

Tonks gave him a sympathetic look. “Sing anything you want, just sing it quietly. He’ll enjoy it.”

Harry racked his brain for something to sing, then finally began a slow, quiet version of the Hogwarts school song.

“Hogwarts, Hogwarts,
hoggy, warty Hogwarts,
teach us something please―”

“Starting his education early, are you?” Tonks teased. She stretched and yawned, relaxing in her chair as she watched Harry singing her son to sleep.

When Harry finished the song, he glanced up. Both Matthew and Tonks were asleep. He stood up and tiptoed over to the bassinet, then settled the baby in it. He draped a spare baby blanket over Tonks and quietly picked up his book bag. He had a little time to study before he had to leave for practice this morning. He sat at the kitchen table, his book open in front of him, but he couldn’t concentrate. His eyes kept wandering to the bassinet, where the baby slept quietly, making soft sounds from time to time.

Harry had never been around babies before. He knew he wanted to have a big family, but he’d worried that he wouldn’t be good with babies. But Matthew seemed to enjoy Harry’s attention, which made Harry feel honoured somehow. He was amazed at the tender feelings that seemed to overwhelm him at times when he was holding his little brother. If Matthew makes me feel this way, I can’t imagine how Remus and Tonks must feel about him. His thoughts turned to Ginny. He felt the familiar warmth fill him as he daydreamed about their lives together.

The baby sniffled in his sleep, startling Harry out of his reverie. He glanced at his watch, then packed his things away and stood up to leave.

Tonks sighed and stretched. “Oh, what a nice nap! And you got him to sleep! Thanks, Harry.”

“My pleasure. Have a good day, Tonks.”

She grinned and wiggled her fingers at him. “See ya, handsome!”
Reviews 238
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear