Search:

SIYE Time:12:22 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Over the Horizon
By Vermouth

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, Post-Hogwarts, Post-DH/AB
Characters:All
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Romance
Warnings: Dark Fiction, Death, Disturbing Imagery, Extreme Language, Sexual Situations, Violence
Rating: R
Reviews: 88
Summary: Imagine a world where Voldemort had won. Now imagine a post Hogwarts' Battle Harry stumbling into it... One man: Harry Potter. One goal: to survive. One quest: to do the impossible. One word: Power.
Hitcount: Story Total: 52527; Chapter Total: 2730





Author's Notes:
Chapter filler, I know, but thankfully we're about to gt on with the good stuff. Still in France, so I have no idea when will my next update be. Cheers, peeps.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter Ten

Dragon & Owl

Harry felt a tad awkward. The last time he had felt that uncomfortable was when he was tried for having used the Patronus Charm to defend his cousin and himself against two Dementors. Dementors that had been ordered by none other than Dolores Jane Umbridge, Senior Undersecretary to the former Minister. Of course, he didn't know that last bit at the moment his trial was held, but such was the life of Harry Potter.

It was the feeling of having countless eyes on him that made him so uneasy. He had never done well in the centre of everyone's attention, and that wasn't about to change. No matter that he had been on the Quidditch team, fooled a dragon, battled Lord Voldemort in front of the whole school and more; some part of him would always be that awkward shy boy from Number Four, Privet Drive. He would never understand why Ron liked attention so much.

Apart from having so many eyes on him, the place just gave him the creeps. It was dark and dingy, lit by a few soft, murky yellowish candles, with a black wooden table, black walls and black floors. To cap it all, the people there just made him cringe. He felt like a mouse trapped by a horde of hungry cats. He didn't want to show his uneasiness, because who knows what they might think about him if he did, and he truly needed their alliance. But the fact that they were all covered up like him, and that instead of eyes he could only see two white spots of light. Merlin's beard - that only made him think of zombies.

They seemed a very united group; although wary and alert. He couldn't help noticing that only a few members weren't staring at him like an enemy; among them was their very impressive leader, Dragon. However, the woman on his right, Owl, was looking at him like a predator. Harry guessed she wasn't going to be very nice to him.

Harry didn't know what to make of Dragon yet. He thought it was understandable, since he was covered up and had barely uttered a few sentences to him; but Dragon gave him an odd sense of familiarity. It wasn't his voice that reminded him of someone, for Dragon's voice had surely been modified; it was the way he spoke. But who Dragon really was, Harry didn't know yet.

Dragon snapped him out of his musings by clearing his throat. 'Gryffindor, we are very pleased to have you here. These,' he said, pointing at the group of people around him in general, but not signalling any specific person, 'these are my most trusted advisors and friends, out of the five hundred and eighty people that compose the force that is known as the Renegades,' he explained.

He pushed his chair back and walked to where Harry was seated. 'As you might've guessed, we are the only group in existence that actively opposes the murdering bastard who has appointed himself as Lord Britain,' he continued, emphasising Voldemort's new title derisively. 'We are the few people opposed to him that managed to escape and remain unmarked,' he explained, lifting his sleeve and allowing Harry to see a scarred and muscly forearm, completely mark-free. Lowering his sleeve again, he lifted his gaze to Harry and went on with his explanation.

'This form of resistance, although apparently numerous, is weak in comparison to the Dark Scumbag's forces; which is why we need all the help we can get,' he added, lightly clapping Harry's shoulder. Harry couldn't see, but he guessed that Dragon was genuinely smiling at him under his hood.

'There are many forms of resistance in this group, Gryffindor. Not everyone is suited for fighting, after all,' he said, walking back to his seat. 'Owl here is an excellent dueller, but her impossibly talented mind is one of the greatest pillars of this organisation,' he stated proudly, gripping Owl's shoulder with his gloved hand. Owl lifted her chin, basking in Dragon's approval of her. Harry couldn't help it; he thought she was a bit arrogant.

'Had it not been for her, the Renegades would have fallen and we would never have managed to get as far as we have got,' he said passionately.

All right, so this Owl woman had a reason to look so damned proud. But still, Harry would like her a bit more if she weren't looking at him the way she was, making him feel like a smelly dog. Actually, her pose reminded him a bit of Aunt Petunia's when he was around: stiff shoulders, clenched fists and eyes fixed on him. The feeling of having a magical Aunt Petunia around him just gave him the collywobbles.

'To be frank, we are at a loss when it comes to you,' Dragon proceeded, snapping Harry out of his reverie. Pacing the floor up and down, Dragon assumed a pensive look. 'The Renegades are the only resistance against Lord Voldyturd; as such, we are highly paranoid. We don't accept a new member until we are more than positive he or she will not turn against us. Once we spot a potential recruit, it will take us no less than half a year to inspect their background. If we are satisfied, we will ask the potential recruit to join our ranks. And even then, the number of tests they go through to prove their loyalty to us is endless.'

Owl nodded at that, and then turned to stare at Harry. He could see the sneer and distrust on her face even though it was all covered.

'But with you — the minute I started receiving Snorkack's reports about you — I knew it was different. I cannot explain it, and it frustrates me to no end, but I know that you are the biggest chance the Renegades have at stopping this travesty that has become Britain,' Dragon said fiercely. 'I know I'm not the only one. Many of us have felt the "pull" the minute you came here. We felt drawn to you. But my mind tells me not to trust you until I know why.'

Harry sighed. He had known this might happen. He would have to reveal himself to Dragon. This whole travelling-between-dimensions sure gave him headaches.

He felt uneasy about blowing his cover, but he knew he needed the Renegades. Also, he did feel as if he had known Dragon in his previous life.

'All right, I yield. No offence, but could we possibly speak somewhere private?' Harry asked wearily.

Dragon stared at him for a full minute, and then he gave Harry a barely imperceptible nod and turned around. As if on cue, Owl rose hastily from her seat and grabbed Harry's left arm, her nails digging into his flesh.

'I don't care if I feel this "pull" towards you. I don't trust you,' she whispered menacingly in Harry's ear. 'Until I figure out who you are and what you want, I will hear everything you say to Dragon, too,' she finished, letting go of his arm. She spun around calmly and followed Dragon's silhouette.

Harry rubbed his arm, wincing. That Owl woman was someone he'd have to watch out for. She seemed incredibly protective of Dragon. Maybe they were something more than fellow British man and woman united for one cause? It would certainly explain why she pounced on him like an angry mother-bear.

A softer touch grabbed Harry's right arm and led him gently to the door Owl and Dragon had gone through. 'Don't worry too much about her, Gryffindor,' Snorkack said soothingly as they walked, 'she is one of my dearest friends in the Renegades, and she is a very good person.'

Whatever Owl might be, she still scared the hell out of Harry. Owl reminded him of the Third-Year Hermione, when she went bonkers and slapped Malfoy in anger. It was bloody cool back then when they were kids and her anger was directed at his bigoted arch-nemesis. But now he had this scary woman whispering threateningly in his ear, the one woman who was the brains behind the only resistance to Voldemort and an accomplished dueller. Cut Harry some slack, please.

It was with no small apprehension that Harry closed the door behind him. Dragon was sitting on a couch in the middle of the room, and he already had a glass in his hand of what appeared to be Firewhiskey. He looked comfortable, with his legs on the couch and his free arm resting on a cushion. Owl, on the other hand, looked more like a soldier ready to go into the battlefield. That woman was scary.

Luna took his hand and whispered to him. 'Don't be scared, Harry. You know these people. Once they realise who you are, they will follow you until the Great Snorkack takes them onto the next great adventure.' And with that, she plopped down on the couch next to Dragon's.

'I guess you really want to know who I am and where I come from, right?' Harry asked tiredly. Owl gave him a curt nod, so he drew up a chair and sat on it. Elbows on his knees, he took a few seconds to massage his neck, trying to get rid of his uneasiness. 'I guess, I don't really know how to explain this. I know who I am, but I'm not sure if you would believe me. Technically — I am dead, and I have been since Voldemort killed me as an infant in 1981.'

Owl dropped her wand. Harry smirked, she hadn't expected that. He didn't know why, but he had briefly enjoyed startling the most impressive Owl. Dragon, on the other hand, gave no sign of surprise. He didn't move an inch, and he was still gracefully sipping his glass of Firewhiskey.

'The Voldemort you know attacked my parents' house in 1981, and my infant body has been buried for more than fifteen years -'

'That's absurd!' Owl growled. 'Dragon, have him arrested and taken down to a security cell for questioning!'

Dragon shook his head at Owl and then turned back to Harry, 'I'm also technically dead, but my body was never found. Is the buried child someone else's son?'

Harry sighed again. 'No. It's me. Or rather me from this dimension.'

Hell broke loose. Owl started sputtering and yelling; Dragon dropped his glass on the couch. Only Luna remained calm.

'Sit down,' she said. 'He is telling the truth.' It took a long while to calm down the logical Owl, who kept ranting that alternate dimensions didn't exist. She fought Luna with all of her might, but in the end it seemed that little Snorkack was quite strong as she managed to subdue an infuriated Owl. Dragon was easier to handle, he was so gobsmacked that Luna only needed to perform a Cleaning Charm on the couch.

'I guess there is no easy way for you to believe me until you see my face. I know I have met you in my former life.'

Harry took his wand out slowly, so as not give Owl any reasons to attack him. He brought down all the obscuring charms on his voice and face and lowered his hood, waiting for another round of pandemonium to break loose.

Owl fell from her chair.

'Harry?'

It seemed that Luna had been right. They knew who he was. He remembered that supposedly everyone got dreams in both dimensions about their alternate egos, but Luna had been the only one whacky (or wise?) enough to believe them. Harry hoped that Dragon and Owl would reveal themselves now to him. If they remembered their dreams, recognising Harry wouldn't be a difficult thing. He was, after all, the Boy-Who-Lived and the Vanquisher-of-Voldemort. But would he know who these people were? Harry prayed that Luna was right.

Owl approached him. Harry was ready for a second round of verbal attacks, but he was surprised when Owl knelt in front of him and asked him gently, 'May I?'

Harry had no idea what she wanted to do, but her tone made him nod almost instantaneously.

Owl put her hand on his forehead and remained still for a few seconds, and then gasped, turning around to look at a very expectant Dragon. 'It's him!'

Owl then did something he would never have expected her to do: she engulfed him in a hug and cried in his arms.

Harry didn't really know what to do. He had never had an ounce of skill when it came to crying girls — the Cho episode back in Fifth Year was proof enough of that — but this time, a total stranger whom he supposed was someone he knew in his former life was crying like a lost girl in his arms. The same stranger who had been willing to hex his bits off five minutes prior to him revealing his true identity.

Women were crazy.

Dragon howled with mirth. 'No wonder I trusted you the moment you came here, Harry. How could I not trust my erstwhile future brother-in-law?' He asked happily as he lowered his hood.

Charlie Weasley.

Harry was so stunned he didn't notice that Owl had stopped crying and had slipped away from his arms. Still kneeling before him, she whispered, 'And how could I not feel the pull towards you when you are my erstwhile best friend?' she said, getting rid of all of the obscuring charms that kept her identity safe.

Hermione Granger.

Now it was Harry's turn to sputter. 'How?' he managed to ask, not noticing that Luna was grinning like the cat who caught the canary.

Charlie was the first to speak. 'I suppose you have heard about what happened to the Weasley family here?' he asked with a growl. Harry nodded. 'We were ambushed. I was outside, practising with one of Dad's brooms I'd stolen from his shed. I didn't want my parents to find me with a broom, so I was half-hidden between the trees. Next thing I knew, a loud explosion occurred and a pack of Death Eaters arrived at the Burrow. All of them swarmed into the house save for one. I started running back home,' he said. Harry could almost touch the pain in his voice.

'The one Death Eater that remained outside spotted me. Looking back, had it been another Death Eater, that would have meant my death. I did something foolish, but when your parents and siblings are in danger, what are you supposed to do? Abandon them and hide like a coward? I did what any Gryffindor boy would have done. Armed with a Cleansweep Two, I went to defend my family. The Death Eater immobilised me and Disillusioned me, placing me behind a bush. I remember that he told me "you stupid boy, do you want to die, too?"

Harry wondered briefly who could the Death Eater have been. The situation was screaming 'Snape!' at him, but since this was another dimension, he couldn't be sure.

Charlie now had tears in his eyes, and his voice was breaking. 'I stayed there for hours. I heard their screams, and the explosions and the psychotic Death Eater laughter. But I couldn't move. I couldn't move even after the Death Eaters had left, when everything went silent.'

Harry was looking at Charlie, horrified. He couldn't even begin to imagine the pain he had gone through, and the mental scars he would have for the rest of his life. Having to go through that experience had to be one of the most traumatising things a child could go through. He remembered what he had been told about the Weasley massacre. He had been torn when he heard about it but unlike Charlie, he had not been there, paralysed, unable to do anything while his family was tortured and slaughtered.

'I don't know how long I stayed there, but the charm finally wore off. Shakily, I rose to my feet and walked towards the Burrow. I saw the ominous Dark Mark hovering around my home, so I knew what was inside,' he sobbed. Curling his fist, he punched the couch in anger. 'Nothing can prepare you to see your family reduced to chunks of flesh and bone, Harry. Nothing. I looked all around the house, but nobody was left alive. What was left of my mum, the Death Eaters had put in a stew. Ron's cradle had a charred baby corpse. The rest of my family was in bits and pieces all over the house.'

Harry was crying silently. The Weasleys were his adopted family, and even though his Weasleys were safe, this Charlie's Weasleys had gone through what nobody should. The anger that boiled through him right then would have been more than enough to wipe out Voldemort and his entire army.

'I did the only thing I could: I ran. I found my parents' wands, took the money in the house, the broomstick, and left. I went Muggle, both to hide in case someone recognised me in the Wizarding World, and to honour my dad's bizarre obsession with Muggles. I needed something to remind me of them every day, you know?' he whispered.

'I was adopted and taken to Germany. Under the alias of Pavel Vorskratirov, I went to Durmstrang and graduated with honours. I was never a genius like Owl is, but I was hard-driven. I needed to be the best, so one day I could come back to Britain and avenge my family — and I will. I gave life to the Renegades,' he finished fiercely.

This was so wrong. The Charlie he had known had been laid-back, adventurous and was always ready for a laugh. He had been one of the finest Seekers Hogwarts had ever seen, one that Professor McGonagall talked about with pride in her voice. He had never been as magically gifted as Bill, but he had decided to go off and chase his dream in Romania, where he lived on a Dragon Reserve. The Charlie he had known had fought bravely at Hogwarts, but he wasn't the man standing in front of him. This Charlie was worn, he had dedicated his life to avenge the family Harry loved so much. This Charlie knew nothing of the joy Harry had experienced at the Burrow.

'I'm sorry,' Harry murmured.

Charlie shook his head. 'It's not your fault. But I expect you to blast that tosser.'

Harry nodded. The thoughts of what had happened to his erstwhile family there gave him enough anger to want to obliterate Voldemort right there.

'Charlie, I heard that Ginny had never been found -'

Charlie shook his head again, defeated. 'It's true that her body wasn't found. But she wasn't there. I knew she was dead when I saw Ginny's old teddy bear. I don't know how they did it, but they took something from her every child needs in order to survive: her magical core.'

Harry gasped.

'I don't know how they did it. One of the Lestrange brothers must have done it, they are experts in that field. Ginny's teddy bear had her magic inside it, the magic turned it into a teddy bear that resembled her. Hair, freckles and everything. The bloody bastards turned her into a Muggle so she would suffer more. I know she is dead because no child born with magic can live without it. I spent years studying and hoping my sister would be alive, but there's no way a young child could have resisted the shock,' he finished. Luna had moved next to him and was patting him gently.

Hermione's story wasn't so soul-wrenching. After Voldemort had made his final move, she had fled to France. Her parents were against it, but she managed to convince them that learning magic and how to defend herself would be the only way she would survive. She didn't go to Beauxbatons, she was homeschooled by the most brilliant tutors her parents could afford. She met Charlie "Dragon" Weasley when the first Renegades were on a mission in France, and ever since then she had been one of them.

'But until I met Charlie, I never had any friends. I always had these bizarre dreams about a trio at Hogwarts, composed of Ron Weasley, Harry Potter and myself. Some of the dreams were scary, some were happy, and some were terrible. But I always had you two, and those dreams always gave me the happiness I needed to keep going on. I knew that at least there, I had friends who would be with me no matter what. And I was happy.'

-oOoOoOo Oo-

Charlie "Dragon" Weasley, Hermione "Owl" Granger, Luna "Snorkack" Lovegood and your two favourite dimension travellers, Neville Longbottom and Harry Potter, arrived at the Chamber of Secrets, accompanied by their faithful sidekick Kreacher.

They had received a note from Dumbledore telling them to go to the Chamber as soon as humanly possible, they had some serious affairs to talk about. He had also requested they bring the Sword of Gryffindor. The note had only been for Harry and Neville — but Harry decided that it was best if the Hogwarts resistance had direct contact with the Renegades. He would also like to see their gobsmacked faces when they saw Neville, Luna, Hermione and Charlie.

It had been a very heated debate, deciding whether it was wise to reveal the identities of the three Renegades to the team at Hogwarts. In the end, Charlie won the argument by saying 'we are from this dimension and we need their help. It's not as if I were the long lost son of one of them or the last of the deceased Longbottom line.'

So with that, Harry led them to the Chamber of Secrets and waited for the bomb that was about to land on the people who were loyal to Hogwarts. He couldn't wait for the look on McGonagall's face. In the end it turned out that Harry would have a bomb dropped on him, but I'm getting ahead of the times.

Owl and Hermione had one thing in common: their curiosity. During the time they spent waiting for Dumbledore, Aberforth, James, Sirius and Professor McGonagall to appear, she wouldn't sit down in her excitement. Instead, she inspected the place with the scholarly fervour his old Hermione had. It made Harry very sad that this Hermione never had the chance to dedicate her adolescent years to learn things for the sake of learning like his old Hermione did. Instead, all of her amazing brainpower was focused on how to survive the war.

He had never realised it before, but one of the reasons this war was so terrible was that it not only took lives, but it also took all the hopes and dreams of the good people in Britain. It was unforgivable.

A rush of flames indicated that the rest of the group had arrived. It was pretty neat that Fawkes could flame them all, because if not they would have been hindered by the Parseltongue hitch.

And that's when Harry had the surprise of his life. There was one extra person in that group. It was a boy, a couple of years younger than himself, with the same tousled hair, only a bit lighter, and hazel eyes that were staring at his surroundings in open disbelief. But what was so remarkable was that he could pass as Harry's twin.

Clung.

Harry Potter, meet your brother.

'Sorry about the delay,' Sirius said panting. 'James here had a ruffle with his son. James didn't want him to come and be in the presence of the evil Gryffindor, but Michael refused to obey him, the stubborn runt'

'Hello? Michael is here if you hadn't noticed' Michael said, annoyed. Sitting down in front of Harry, he asked. 'So, what's your story? You are the reason Dad and Uncle Sirius are always arguing. Mind you, they would argue anyway, but you make much more of an interesting topic than "what kind of sandwich would you take to a deserted island?" He asked, smiling at Harry mischievously.

Harry decided then that he liked his brother. His little brother. It sounded foreign even in his mind, but so right at the same time. Harry was so happy under his hood that he thought that memory was one of his few Patronus-worthy memories. He had a brother!

'I — I.. Well, it's complicated. I'm just here to kick Voldemort's arse, that's all,' Harry berated himself for that answer but hey, cut him some slack, he was just in front of his brother.

Michael grinned. 'Alright, you called dibs on him. Then I'll get Malfoy. That Death Eater looks too much like a nasty ferret. Always wanted to Transfigure him into one. I'm sure it'd be an improvement.'

Both Harry and Neville howled with laughter, no doubt remembering the whole "Malfoy the Bouncing Ferret" episode in their Fourth Year.

Dumbledore coughed, interrupting their fun. Inside, he was glad Harry was laughing so freely like that.

Harry looked at him. 'All right, Professor. All of you take your seats and we will begin this session,' he said.

Some new couches had to be conjured to fit all of them. As they all sat, Harry sensed that the atmosphere was somewhat tense. The people he had brought in were very relaxed, but the Hogwarts team, save for Michael were ready to start throwing hexes around. To be honest, if Harry was to meet five people who were all dressed in black and looking all creepy and imposing, he would be tense too.

'Okay, I don't know the reason why you called this meeting, but I have brought three of the Renegades here. One, you already know, and it's Snorkack right here by my side. The other two are Owl -'

'Owl? The same Owl that managed to undo Voldemort's Fidelius Charm on his settlement in Slytherin's Lair, and trapped and sent to their deaths more than one hundred Death Eathers by Transfiguring the location into quicksand? That Owl?' Sirius asked in awe, gazing at Hermione's figure with utter respect.

Owl nodded curtly, but Harry was sure she was blushing under her hood. Harry, on the other hand, was a tad freaked out. He knew Hermione had the brilliance to do that, but he never knew she could be so deadly.

'Yes, it's the same Owl. And this Owl is currently working on getting your tattoos removed,' Charlie said. 'And if you wonder who I am, then you should know that I am Dragon. You also know me by the name of Charlie Weasley,' he added, lowering his hood to reveal a freckly face with lots of red hair framing it.

Harry could hear Charlie's grin when the quiet reunion broke into 'what? No way! Are you serious?' (Yes, Sirius replied to that with one of his Sirius-serious puns.)

After the shock of realising that Charlie Weasley was alive and that he was the founder of the Renegades, seeing the faces of Hermione Granger and Luna Lovegood didn't surprise them that much. It was still shocking, of course, but nothing compared to finding the last of the Weasleys.

Harry and Neville, however, remained silent. They did feel like this was a moment for the rest of the team. They were strangers, after all, and even though they had read about what had happened here, it was not their world. They remained outsiders, somewhat detached. Harry would later acknowledge that part of his standoffish behaviour was due to the fact that his mind couldn't possible assimilate that what was happening around him was real.

Michael, however astonished at the Renegades' appearance, was more interested in the two silent figures that stayed silent while the others rejoiced. There was something about them that was strange. Were they Renegades too? Were they something else? They couldn't be higher-ranking Renegades, since Charlie 'Dragon' Weasley was their leader. So who were they?

'So what about you two? Aren't you going to lower your hoods too?' he asked slyly.

Harry jerked. 'Er, no. Not now,' he replied uneasily.

'Why not?' James asked with a slight edge to his voice. 'Your identity can't be more shocking than seeing Charlie Weasley!'

Harry skirted around his seat while Neville looked simply uncomfortable.

'James, let it go. Believe me, the identity of these two will be the most shocking thing you will ever face,' Dumbledore told him gently. Turning to Harry, he said, 'Gryffindor, you know you will have to stop hiding under your hood sometime soon. Especially after Voldemort realises his nemesis is back,' he told him.

Harry cursed Dumbledore. That sure got everyone's attention, especially his little brother's. That kid seemed too observant to have the Potter genes. Were it not for the uncanny resemblance, Harry would have sworn that he couldn't be the brothers with such a kid.

'The reason we called you here is because we retrieved the Diadem,' Professor McGonagall said.

'How?' Harry asked, impressed at their speed.

James sighed dramatically. 'My son has too much of the Marauder's genes inside him. He heard me and Sirius talking about it, and tried to retrieve it himself with the aid of a very special Potter heirloom,' he growled at his son, who gazed back at him meekly. 'Fortunately, we caught him before he tried anything by himself, or else I'd have no heir. We got into a heavy argument after that and Michael insisted he had a right to fight back in the only way he could, so he helped us plan how to get the Horcrux,' James explained, 'but he didn't take any active part on it. Between Sirius, Professor McGonagall and myself, we Confunded and attacked the patrolling Death Eaters, Obliviating them afterwards,' said James, placing an arm over Michael's shoulders. 'The reason he is here is because he felt attending here was his right as one of the masterminds in the plan,' James finished, looking at his son reproachfully. Harry could see that behind that, James was immensely proud of his youngest son.

Michael ruffled his hair, making it even messier. 'Yeah well, I wanted to meet the guy that gets under my dad's skin. What can I say? Getting this from an insane horde of Death Munchers wasn't so difficult. I'm just brilliant like that,' he said haughtily, making the rest of the group laugh. 'Okay, jokes aside, why this diadem? I never took Voldemort for the girly type.'

Harry was impressed. Not only his brother was incredibly observant, but he was also as mischievous as hell. He had absolutely nothing to do with Harry's personality. He wondered if it was because for most of his life he had grown up in a loving family. Once again, Harry cursed Voldemort for taking his parents away from him.

'No, Voldemort isn't girly. Just really crazy,' Harry explained. 'I suppose it has something to do with being an evil villain. This diadem is also known as the "Diadem of Wisdom" and its rightful owner was once Rowena Ravenclaw.'

'Voldemort was the son of Tom Riddle and Merope Gaunt. The Gaunts, poor and insane due to inbreeding as they were, were the last descendants of the Slytherin line. The blood of the founders is still amongst us, but only the Slytherin line is easy to recognise -'

'Because of Parseltongue right? So that makes you a Gaunt, too?' Michael interrupted, his face pensive. 'I heard Uncle Sirius and Dad say that you were a Parselmouth,' he added apologetically.

Harry shook his head. 'No, I'm not a direct descendant. I'm an indirect one,' he raised his hands in a sign of peace, 'before you start going barmy over that statement, let me explain. Voldemort has the blood and special gift of the Slytherin family, I only have the gift. I received it when he killed my family but failed to kill me. His curse backfired and I got this gift,' he explained.

Harry didn't notice the looks he was receiving from Sirius, McGonagall and Aberforth.

'So, back to where I was. Lord Voldemort used his influence as the Heir of Slytherin to gather followers at school, blinded bigots who were lured to power and to the influence of one of the oldest and most famous families. Being the Heir of Slytherin enhanced his mystique.'

'But also, it's my belief that the happiest years of Voldemort's life, however twisted, were at Hogwarts. He came from an orphanage where he knew only pain, but in Hogwarts he found his home. He may have changed it into "Slytherin School", but Hogwarts remains the only public building in Great Britain that Voldemort hasn't destroyed.'

Neville was smiling under his hood. Listening to Harry explain Voldemort's story, and his rapt audience in front of him brought back memories from their Fifth Year in the DA. Dumbledore's Army was the turning point for Neville, and he would always be grateful to Harry for it.

'But apart from that, Rowena Ravenclaw, Salazar Slytherin, Helga Hufflepuff and Godric Gryffindor were four of the most talented witches and wizards Britain has ever had. If you think about it, what else would be good enough to keep one of the precious shards of Voldemort's soul?'

His audience was pensive. James and Sirius were clearly impressed with the deep knowledge and understanding he had of Voldemort, yet cautious about how he had gained such information. Professor McGonagall and Aberforth were too stunned to talk. Luna was as impassive as before, whereas Harry could see that Hermione's brain was going haywire. Charlie was grinning like a Cheshire cat, and Dumbledore was looking at Harry fondly, the kind of look a teacher would give his favourite student when he answered a very complicated question correctly.

Michael, as always, had to make Harry nervous. 'I suppose that you don't want to talk about how you understand Voldemort's mind so well, but how did you know where the diadem was?'

This kid was going to be the death of him. 'Er, I did my research very thoroughly.'

Michael looked like he didn't believe a word, but he let the matter rest.

'So, are there others? Do you know their location?' Professor McGonagall asked.

Harry nodded. 'Considering Voldemort loves symbolism, and considering that the most powerful magical number is seven, we can count on seven shards of Voldemort's soul in seven different vessels. The last one is the one that is still in his body, and that is the last one that must be destroyed. The first Horcrux he made was a diary, and is currently guarded at Malfoy Manor. The second is Slytherin's Locket, but you can take it off the list since it has already been destroyed. The third is Hufflepuff's Cup, in the vault of the Lestrange Family. The fourth is the Re- a ring,' he corrected himself quickly, he didn't want Dumbledore dying again because of that Hallow, 'and it's inside the Gaunt's Shack. The fifth is the Diadem, which is about to be destroyed. The sixth I have doubts about it. Tell me, does Voldemort carry around a snake all the time by the name of Nagini?'

The others shook their heads.

'Then it's our task to find out what the sixth Horcrux is, and where it's kept.' Harry finished, tired after that long explanation, and completely oblivious to the incredulous looks he was receiving.

'So, can I destroy the Horcrux?' Michael asked.

James and Sirius started protesting, but Harry reassured them Michael would be fine if he was under their watch. Harry got up and gave the sword to his brother, while placing the diadem on the floor.

'Michael, listen to me and listen very carefully. I don't know if you have ever had the dubious pleasure of interacting with Voldemort in person, but if you haven't, make no mistake — this is Voldemort. What is inside of this diadem is as sentient as you, and it will try to break you so that you won't destroy it. It's not a toy, it's the real Voldemort inside,' Harry told his brother seriously.

Michael nodded grimly, all sorts of heroic deeds and adventures wiped from his mind. He didn't know who that stranger was, but he trusted his authority on the Voldemort topic. If it was that serious, he would have to concentrate.

'I'm ready,' he said, determined to destroy a part of the wizard who had ruined so many lives.

Harry nodded and turned to the diadem. 'Open,' he hissed in Parseltongue, ignoring the gasps of the rest of the group.

The shadowy figure of a twenty-something Voldemort arose from inside the diadem. It was not the handsome Riddle that came out of the diary, nor was it the disfigured one that used to reside inside the locket. It was the echo of the Voldemort that went to Dumbledore's office to ask for the Defence Against the Dark Arts post, when he jinxed the job after the Headmaster refused to hire him. He was still Tom Riddle, he hadn't undergone the many obscure rituals that transformed him into the snake-like Voldemort, but his features were already waxy and distorted. All in all, it was a creepy sight.

'Michael Potter. I know of your heart's desire and I can give it to you. You have always wanted your brother Harry back; together we can. Let me channel my power through you and Harry will be with you forevermore,' Voldemort hissed softly, while Michael stared at the smoky figure in a stunned silence.

Harry's heart broke at that. If only Michael knew that his brother was a couple of feet away. But they had to concentrate! This was Voldemort! Shaking off his sadness, Harry yelled 'Michael! Concentrate! Nothing can bring back the dead! Kill it!'

Voldemort turned to Harry, leaving the still gobsmacked Michael alone. Changing from English to Parseltongue, he said 'Ah, the prodigal son returns, I should have expected you wouldn't stay put, would you? Now why doesn't your brother know that you are here? Should I-'

'Oh quit with the hissy fit, why won't you? You are worse than Pansy Parkinson!' Michael yelled and struck the sword on the centre of the diadem.

Voldemort screamed and withered, but in the end, he was gone, leaving a sweaty Michael smiling goofily.

Harry couldn't help it, he went to congratulate his brother, pride running through his veins, while the rest of the group hugged and congratulated Michael and cheered because another shard of Voldemort had been destroyed. Point goes to the Hogwarts' team.

While everyone was talking about the piece of soul that had just been destroyed Michael snuck out and sat next to Harry.

'You must have a very good reason if you are hiding your true self, a reason that probably involves my dad and Sirius,' Michael said quietly while Harry looked at him flabbergasted. 'Yes, I have noticed that you are very patient with those two, even if they don't fully trust you and are sometimes mean to you. That means they are important to you.'

Michael was talking very quietly, but Harry knew this was difficult for him. 'I know that you aren't Remus. You aren't my mum either. I don't know who you are, but I trust you fully. Call me rash, but you have more than proven yourself to me.'

'I inferred that you must be someone Voldemort thinks dead, and one very powerful and dangerous enemy to him. I understand the reason for your secrecy. I know I'm just a kid but I hope that one day you'll trust me enough to tell me the story behind you,' Michael finished quietly and rose to his feet, leaving Harry alone with his thoughts.

Later, Harry realised that Michael must have taken after his mother. He was calm and collected and incredibly intelligent, he had none of the recklessness he and his father shared. All in all, his little brother was a pretty amazing kid. Harry would love to have a brother-brother relationship with him, but how to explain to him that he was the Harry he had never known? And what about James and Sirius, how would they take it? Would they accept him or would they refuse him? It pained Harry to no end.

'Gryffindor, come over here!' Charlie yelled.

'What is it?' Harry asked, still musing about what to do with the Potter family.

'Owl tracked down one of the Death Eater's safe houses. We need you and Avenger to be prepared, we are attacking them one week from today,' Charlie informed him, grinning at the thought of cracking some Death Eater skulls open.

'All right.'

'Also, I have to add that I have tracked down a very important Secret Keeper,' Dumbledore chirped merrily. 'I have good news. Soon enough we will have two very dear members back with us: Remus Lupin and Lily Potter.'

Harry's cover would have been blown if anyone present had seen the look of utter joy that spread on his face at the news of his mum and former professor coming back.

-oOoOoOoOo -

Reviews 88
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear