Search:

SIYE Time:16:13 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


It’s The Great Pumpkin Harry Potter!
By Spenser Hemmingway

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, Post-DH/PM, Holidays
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Crossover, Fluff, Humor
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 9
Summary: Halloween is celebrated around the world, but the tradition that is Trick or Treating actually varies considerably from place-to-place. Neither Harry nor his family has ever had the opportunity to enjoy the experience. Why shouldn’t they learn about it from undisputed authorities? If they’re not available, how about asking that one kid with the big nose?
Hitcount: Story Total: 5034



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
I would like to offer my sincere respect, admiration and apologies to Mr. Charles Schultz. This parody is a loving tribute to the great man’s work. Since childhood, I can think of no one who has caused me to appreciate Halloween more than he did with that one annual cartoon special. If he is looking down and somehow doesn’t enjoy this…I blame Spenser. As always, it’s his fault. Thank you sir. Eric B.




ChapterPrinter


It’s The Great Pumpkin Harry Potter!

By Spenser Hemmingway


A Special Tribute to the Memory of Charles “Sparky” Schultz


“There are three things I’ve learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin.”–Linus Van Pelt



“James! Albus! Get in here this instant!” Ginny was almost amazed that the two boys didn’t run, but rather flew down the stairs before she had even finished speaking. The two had been waiting for her to notice their mischief, she decided. “Would either of you gentlemen care to explain this?”

“That’s Lily’s Halloween costume Mum,” James calmly explained.

Oh, he’s good, Ginny thought. Albus was struggling with a smile, but his older brother had clearly apprenticed long enough with her own siblings to have mastered the look. Unfortunately for them, she was the one person other than their grandmother Molly who was completely immune to it. Ginny was a bit surprised that the boys hadn’t learned that yet.

“That is not a costume young man! You…you turned your sister into a Burundian kowtowing toady!” A very happy little toady she had to admit. Baby Lily was smiling, giggling, and rolling around on her back trying to suck on her webbed toes. No, that wasn’t the point. “It’s bad enough that your Uncle Percy invited two of those creatures from his work to our summer barbeque. They cheated at lawn darts and licked the frosting completely off Aunt Luna’s carrot cake!”

“I forgot about that,” James almost whispered. His expression now was a mixture of embarrassment with just a tinge of regret at their tomfoolery.

“Yeah, Dad turned both of the froggies into something even more horrible…insurance company representatives,” Albus added. “Then Uncle Spenser ate the entire cake, so Aunt Luna wouldn’t feel bad. He was as green as those geckos.”

“We’re sorry Mum. The potion will wear off in another few minutes. Are you really angry?” James asked. The look was gone now, and the ten-year-old appeared to be as mortified about the prank as his little brother was.

“I…suppose not.” Now it was Ginny’s turn to hold in her laughter.

She gently picked up the baby girl and examined her content face. Even with the warts, she had to admit that Lily was somewhat cute. She wouldn’t acknowledge that to her now-cowering sons though…yet.

“I suppose that I can make allowances for our holiday here, but I’ll expect you to do extra chores after we return to England Sunday morning. Let’s see…hmm…yes, I believe that it is time for his annual bath. Boys, when we arrive back in Hogsmeade, you need to visit Mr. Hagrid to…”

“Mum! We are not going to give Uncle Rebeus a bath!” they yelled together. Ginny continued to keep her straight face, and allowed the boys to stew for another full minute.

“As I was saying before being so rudely interrupted; it’s time to give his boarhound a good wash. I need to remember to loan him the herbal shampoo that Fang Junior likes so much. Oh, and no pink ribbons for the dog this year. Upstairs the two of you and unpack your own costumes if you want to go treating.”

“It’s called trick or treating Mum,” Albus reminded her.

“I think that we’ve had enough tricks for one day. American Muggles will probably not be very patient with your mischief, especially those here in Salem. I know that Aunt Hermione has told you the stories about this city.”

“Mum this is Salem, Oregon…not Massachusetts. They’ve never burned Witches here,” James quickly clarified.

“Well, our family will not be the first. Now do as I say and get ready. Cousin…or Uncle…or whatever Michael is and your father should be home from the custom broom show any minute.”

“I’m sure that Dad made a clean sweep of the competition Mum,” James called out as the two ran back up the staircase.

Ginny had to stifle a serious groan at the terrible pun. She did agree with him though. Harry had acquired the reputation of being the finest broomsmith in Western Europe. Another grin appeared as Ginny thought about that, and it became larger still as she watched her daughter transform back to her normal, happy self.

“Lily my love, please promise me that you’ll be the well-behaved child in our family.” The baby’s eyes closed then for a moment and her smile was replaced with a determined grimace. When the cheerful face returned, so did an all-too-familiar odor from her diaper. “No, I suppose that is too much to ask. You have red hair and as much Weasley blood as Potter don’t you?”


*****



“How exactly does this trick or treating work?” Harry asked his host. He almost didn’t expect an answer since Ginny’s Uncle Michael hadn’t said two complete sentences to any of them since their arrival…if that. They knew that it wasn’t any sort of impolite snub; the man had gone out of his way to both invite the family to stay with him and to arrange, first-hand, for Harry to enter the local broom exhibition/competition. He apparently just never seemed to have much to say.

“Mr. Myers…there you are. We have your grocery delivery. The kid that answered your front door said you were here in the backyard.”

Harry and Ginny turned to see a sandy-haired boy who appeared to be almost James’ age, and much too young, they thought, to be employed with such a job. Of course, Harry hadn’t been much older when he had been forced to kill his first basilisk.

“I hope you don’t mind. My mom went ahead and started unloading the bags into your kitchen. Excuse me. I heard what you said. Don’t they have Halloween where you come from?” the boy asked then.

“Yes, they do, and trick or treating in some places as well after a fashion. My aunt and uncle never let me dress up and go out though. I was lucky to get one of my Cousin Dudley’s leftover candy bars. He hated coconut.”

“Wow! Your family really sounds mean. I’m sorry. It’s simple here though. Your kids just walk up to a house and ring the doorbell. Everyone yells ‘trick or treat’, and then they get some candy. My big sister and a bunch of my friends are going out tonight. I’m sure that your family would be welcome to go with them. I don’t think that they’ve ever met anyone from England before.”

“We wouldn’t want to impose. My husband and I would want to walk along with our two sons.”

“That’s okay. A lot of moms and dads like to go out, and some grownups even dress up. Mr. Myers here always wears the same costume–-a white face mask, bloody clothing, and that big butcher’s knife.”

Harry and Ginny turned to look at the man, but only received a silent, non-committal stare in return. Harry made a mental note to ask Ginny’s parents how they were really related to him.

“Actually Ginny, the larger group might be more fun for James and Albus. Why don’t we go talk to your mother young man,” Harry suggested. Ginny’s smile told him that she agreed with the idea.

“Excuse me. What you mentioned earlier…it was almost as if you were saying you wouldn’t be going yourself,” she pointed out as they walked back toward the house.

“Oh no, I’m not. I’m going to go sit in Mr. Gourdlighter’s pumpkin patch at the end of our block.” Harry and Ginny both slowed their pace at this unusual revelation.

“I beg your pardon,” Ginny finally said.

“Every year the Great Pumpkin rises up out of just the right pumpkin field, and flies through the air delivering toys to all of the good little boys and girls of the world. I know that this is the year I’m finally going to see him.”

Well, that’s no more unusual than most of what we experience every day, Harry thought. “I assume that you haven’t met this flying pumpkin yet.”

“I don’t think that those other patches were sincere enough,” he said.

“Sincere enough?” Ginny asked, not entirely sure that she wanted too much of a clarification. Still, even some of Luna’s explanations turned out to be accurate–-more often than she was actually given credit.

“Sincerity is very important. I’ve spent every Halloween since I was six searching for just the right pumpkin patch. I’m going to see him this year. I know it!”

“Good luck then,” Harry told him.

“Thank you. By the way, my name is Linus.”


*****



Ginny made use of her uncle’s kitchen that evening to fix everyone a light meal of stir-fried chicken and vegetables. She naturally reasoned that even Harry and she would be into the candy eventually. Michael Myers had left earlier without a word, and Ginny was slightly put out that his best kitchen knife was, in fact, missing just when she needed it. Was he someone’s stepbrother on the Weasley or the Prewitt side? She decided that it really didn’t matter, and hoped that the man had a fun night himself.

Ginny insisted that the boys help with the dishes before they went out. She came away realizing that if the two were someday as fast on the Quidditch field as they were performing that chore, the school cup would be Gryffindor’s for years. Harry had started work on the boys’ respective future game brooms just days after each of their births.

James and Albus made some final adjustments to their costumes then, which naturally were Wizarding robes and hats. Instead of bristling at the idea of such familiar attire, they were amused at the reactions that were sure to come from the Muggles they encountered. James took the spare myrtlewood wand Harry had carried for years (with strict instructions not to try to use it), while Albus had to be content with an accurate-looking replica of the Elder Wand. Any objection that the younger brother might have had about the non-magic copy was offset remembering he was named for the headmaster who once carried the real one.

A quick look at a local map showed that the address Linus’ mother gave them was less than a ten minute walk away. Harry had enlisted one of Uncle Michael’s teenage neighbors to babysit and to handle their own candy distribution. With those last details handled, the family set off to the meeting site and the beginning of the night’s festivities.

It was a beautiful evening with a clear sky, a full moon, and unseasonably warm weather. Any other day of the year it would have been labeled as perfect, but as they walked, Harry grew more thoughtful and lagged further behind their sons.

“You’re thinking about your parents aren’t you Harry? James and Albus don’t really understand about this being the anniversary of their grandparents’ death.”

Harry was quiet, but only for a few more steps. “It’s good Ginny. I have the prettiest wife, the three finest children and seeing our sons have a great time tonight will be incredible medicine. We’ll talk to them some more about my mum and dad…but not yet.”

“Have I mentioned that I love you Mr. Potter?”

“A time or two, but I really think that you’re just interested in those backrubs I give you. Hold on. Isn’t that Linus over there?”

It was, and the two saw that he was in a heated discussion with a half-dozen other young people. Since he was the only one not in costume, they guessed that Linus was going through with his plans for the night. Harry and Ginny stayed far enough away from the group to allow them some semblance of privacy, but still they couldn’t miss what was being said. Essentially, most of the children were ridiculing Linus, while he in turn stubbornly defended his belief in the Great Pumpkin. The situation once again reminded them of Luna. Neither of them liked what they were witnessing, but both parents knew they couldn’t interfere.

James and Albus rushed forward however, and their timing was actually helpful in defusing the situation. Linus took a moment to introduce the two Potters, and the fascination at meeting the foreigners distracted the children for a few minutes.

“You’re really from Great Britain?” one boy asked. Harry was scratching his head as to why the sheet he was wearing, perhaps to portray the Muggle concept of a ghost, had perhaps two dozen holes cut into it.

“We live in the Scottish Highlands actually. We were born in a small village called Hogsmeade,” James explained.

“That means you’re Scotch,” a dark-haired girl with a bossy voice bellowed.

“No, we decided to dress as Wizards, not whiskey, this year,” James countered.

Harry had to bite his lip to keep from laughing. Ginny couldn’t stop herself. She squeezed Harry’s hand to communicate her own pride in their son’s clever retort. A moment later they saw Linus slip away, and with him was a younger blond girl that reminded them of Luna’s little girl Jennifer. The others didn’t seem to notice, but instead started off in the other direction discussing the candy they expected, the Halloween party that was to occur later, and their various opinions of each others’ costumes.

“You’re supposed to be Wizards?” The bossy girl with the green Witch’s mask asked. “You don’t look anything like Wizards. I know what Wizards look like. I’m an expert on Wizards. I’ve seen all the Harry Potter movies.” Neither Harry nor Ginny could react quickly enough.

“We are too Wizards…and my dad is Harry Potter. Aren’t you Dad?” Albus blurted out. Harry slapped his hand to his face, cringing in embarrassment. These children would never believe in true Wizards, or that he was who Albus said, but it could still be an awkward moment.

“I must admit that you do resemble him sir, despite your age, and your scar is very realistic,” the boy in the holey sheet told him. “It is an excellent Halloween joke sir.”

“Uhm…thank you uh…”

“It’s Charlie sir.”

“Thank you Charlie,” Ginny finished for her husband.

“He can’t be Harry Potter! Everyone knows that he died in Book Seven!” the bossy girl almost yelled.

“Did I?” Harry calmly replied. The girl obviously had never read any of the books in his biographical series. Well the Muggle editions had taken a few liberties.

Ginny and he pulled away again and watched as the group set off toward their first houses. At the end of the procession walked a large-nosed kid in a dog’s costume and wearing aviator’s goggles. Behind him in turn hopped a tiny yellow bird with a very intelligent expression. It was going to be an interesting evening they both decided.


*****



After a couple of houses, Harry and Ginny noted that Linus had been right about it being a simple process. They were pleased to see that James and Albus always remembered to thank the residents for the treats. The boys were having a great time, and it was becoming a memorable experience for the whole family. The costumes they saw were imaginative. Many of the Jack O’Lanterns were carved with incredible creativity. The overall mood was excited, happy, and eager. Only one thing seemed to be dampening the occasion. It was turning out to be a less than memorable Halloween for the boy Charlie.

After each house, the children would gather at the sidewalk to compare what candies they had received. While the Potters didn’t recognize most of the American Muggle treats, they all sounded wonderful regardless. The exception was what ended up in Charlie’s bag…rocks.

At first Harry thought that the boy might be the object of some strange prank. Ginny suggested that Charlie might have actually meant rock candy. After a score of stops, and twenty matching chunks of stone, both Potters were beginning to suspect that something terrible and very deliberate was occurring.

After just over an hour, the girl they now knew to be Violet announced that it was time for the promised party. The Potter boys, as expected, were thrilled at the prospect of this Muggle event. Removing his sheet, they even saw that Charlie was pleased with his invitation. Maybe his night could be salvaged. For some reason Harry wasn’t as sure as the youngster was. Too many bad memories of those Halloweens with the Dursleys filled his head, and he was all at once filled with the strong desire to set things right for the small Muggle. At the front gate to Violet’s house, he took Ginny’s hand and motioned her aside.

“If you can keep an eye on things for a little while, I need to go back and see about something.”

“Harry, if you’re planning on having some fun without me…”

“Ginny, unless I’m mistaken, you and the boys are going to have some of your own fun here tonight.” Harry gave her a quick kiss, and then sprinted back the way he had come. In the event that there weren’t a lot of generous geologists in that city, someone was in for some nasty tricks very shortly.

It took Harry maybe ten minutes to retrace his steps to the first house. Hiding off to one side of its large hedge, he waited another fifteen to ensure that the last of the trick or treating was completed in that area. Finally satisfied that he wasn’t about to interfere with anyone’s fun, Harry drew his wand and started toward the front door. He paused for just a moment when he thought he heard bloodcurdling screams from somewhere off in the distance. He immediately dismissed it as Halloween sound effects. It wasn’t as if there was some maniacal killer running around.

A quick flick of his wand extinguished the porch light, and another unlocked the home’s front door. Harry wasn’t entirely certain what he would say or do inside, but he was sure about what he wanted to learn. He had to find out why Charlie was undergoing such a heartless trick.

Quietly letting himself inside, Harry paused for several seconds to take in this new environment. It appeared to be a well-kept suburban home, owned by a normal middleclass Muggle family. On the entry table there sat a large bowl with a few remaining chocolate bars and pieces of well-wrapped toffee treats. There were no other rocks sitting about that he could see and nothing to indicate that the people were anything other than what they had earlier appeared. On the mantelpiece was a recent portrait of four older children posing with their seated parents in the foreground. No, something wrong may be occurring, but these people weren’t a part of it.

Carefully exiting the house, Harry restored the light, and began to walk back up the street deep in thought. None of it made sense. Why would someone want to pull such a cruel joke on a child, possibly ruining his Halloween? It wasn’t a single someone either. Harry lost track of how many houses they had visited, and each and every one had presented Charlie with a rock. No, that was impossible. That many people working and planning such mischief together was almost inconceivable.

Suddenly it hit him. “I don’t believe it! It has to be that though.” Harry was already running.


*****



“You blockhead Linus! I can’t believe that I did it again. Every year it’s the same thing! We sit in a pumpkin patch all evening getting cold and damp. We miss tricks or treats, and I don’t even get to share my big brother’s candy…he never brings any home! Why do I do it…every year? People are starting to talk about my being out here alone with you. I’m becoming a woman with a reputation!”

“Sally, you’re only eight years old.”

“I’m eight and a half, and I do have a reputation now! If you weren’t my sweet baboo…

“I am not your sweet baboo! Wait…wait, what was that? Did you hear it? Did you hear it?”

Several yards to the left of them the now mostly-stripped pumpkin vines began to rustle. They then began to shift to one side as if something was attempting to pull itself loose from their grasp. Now the growth there was shaking violently. All at once something began to rise up…taller and higher.

“It had better not be that stupid beagle again this year Linus!”

“No…no…look! It’s…it’s… Oh, good grief! It’s Martha Stewart. What is she doing here?”

“Did you know that pumpkin is not only a delicious dessert ingredient, but it is also extremely nutritious, economical, and a joy to work with.” Martha smiled at the two children as she held up a beautiful medium-sized pumpkin. Then without another word, she stepped onto the garden path, and left the two to their arguing.

“Linus you blockhead,” Sally repeated, and then once again laid into the boy. Neither one noticed when the solitary figure appeared behind them.


*****



“Harry, you’re back. Were you able to find out anything?”

“Yes Ginny, I did. What’s been happening here?”

“It’s been very nice. The boys bobbed for apples and enjoyed some wonderful spiced cider. They also had to endure some ridiculous stories about wicked Witches. I just wish that I could have introduced the girl to Delores Umbridge in her prime.”

“Why does that boy Charlie have a face drawn on the back of his head?” Harry asked, craning his neck to get a better look.

“You may not believe this. He was supposed to be the model for a Jack O’Lantern carving Harry. In the end, they were just making fun of him. What are you grinning about?”

Harry had to force himself to stop. He wasn’t amused about the teasing, but rather a bit pleased that he was one step closer to shaping his new theory. He felt more than saw Ginny’s gaze. This was one of those occasions where they didn’t need to communicate. It was an aspect of their relationship that had been in place from the start. Neither understood it, and neither needed to. Harry turned to her then, their eyes met, and he allowed himself to smile again.

“Ginny, how young were you the first time you performed magic, even accidentally?”

“Uhm…you remember that I actually Apparated successfully when I was three. Mum and Dad had no end of trouble after that. I know what you’re asking though. I think that the first time I accidentally performed magic was the Christmas when I was seven. Bill was letting me hold his wand, and somehow I transformed Great Aunt Tessie’s fruitcake into… Oh no Harry! I changed it into a large chunk of coal! Charlie’s candy was magically turned into rocks!”

“I think that’s it exactly.”

“It explains a lot of the conversations I’ve been having with some of children and the other parents. I must have heard a dozen stories, and come to think of it, they all centered on that young man. The question is who is causing it all.”

“Who seems to dislike him Ginny?”

“Everyone for some reason, but especially that loud Witch from earlier. That’s her over there Harry. I think that her name is Lucy. I’m sorry… Maybe I’m not the best judge, and I know that America must have Slytherins, but it just doesn’t seem right. As intense a person as this girl seems to be emotionally, her family would have seen some sign of magic sooner. Maybe I’m wrong.”

“Ginny, there isn’t anyone that I trust with simple instincts more than you. Add to that being a mother, and I think we can eliminate Lucy. I’ve also simply never heard of a Magic reaching this age without someone noticing their capabilities.”

“Who then?”

“Maybe it’s not a who…exactly. I have something else in mind. It just occurred to me. Come on.”

Harry led Ginny over toward where he saw him standing alone. He was facing away, but there was still no mistaking him. They were about to take a great risk even if they were correct. As they walked, Harry pulled his wand then, and pointed it at Charlie. The boy’s attention seemed to be focused on a little red-haired girl across the room.

Scourgify,” Harry softly whispered, and the black marker ink was gone from the back of Charlie’s head. Spinning around at the sensation, he stared wide-eyed at the two Potters. Without a doubt, the boy was confused about what had happened to him. Harry and Ginny avoided Charlie’s intent look, and just passed and just passed on by. She saw where they were going then, and any remaining confusion instantly faded away. Unfortunately, they weren’t quick enough.

“Ack! I touched dog lips! I’ve got dog germs! Quick, call an ambulance! Call a doctor! Someone boil some water! I’m infected!” Lucy ran around the room screaming, waving her hands in the air, and generally acting in an overdramatic manner.

The beagle actually seemed to be offended by the whole thing. All they had been doing was bobbing for apples at the same time. The dog slowly backed away, and Harry took the opportunity to grab his collar and drag him outside. Now it was the beagle’s turn to overact, grabbing his throat and pretending to be strangled.

“Oh, stop it. We all know that you are perfectly fine. Now hold still.” Ginny told him,and, for the tenth or twelfth time that evening, was forced to restrain her laughter.

“Behave yourself or I’ll turn you into…into a cat!” Harry threatened. Either recognizing the wand, or perhaps the thought of going through life coughing up hairballs, caused the dog to suddenly cower down in fear. Glancing at his own feet, Harry saw the same tiny yellow bird kicking the side of his shoe.

“I understand that your name is Snoopy and that you understand everything we are saying. Neither Harry nor I speak dog…” Ginny began.

“I’m sure that you can hear my thoughts though.” Harry and Ginny naturally jumped at this. “Witches, Wizards, and cartoonists all seem to be able to. What do you want? Woodstock, please stop kicking the gentleman.”

“We can begin with some answers,” Ginny told him. “I’ve heard a great deal about you in just the last hour. You walk on your hind legs, talk to birds, know how to type, you’re very proficient with the Cheshire Beagle Spell where you can turn invisible, you ice skate and play hockey, you’re a proficient doctor, lawyer, pilot, and chef, and you’re the only decent baseball player on Charlie’s team.”

“They’re exaggerating…except for the ballplayer part. Dogs are naturals at fetching balls.”

“Do all dogs naturally perform magic?” Harry asked. “I don’t know if it was intentional, but you somehow placed a spell on Charlie’s candy bag turning everything inside to rocks.”

“Woof?”

“Yes Snoopy…rocks,” Ginny began. The dog let out a mournful howl then interrupting Ginny and Harry and she both took that as regret and proof that it had indeed been an accident. “We can replace the candy, but you’re going to have to be much more careful in…”

“We saw him! We saw him!” someone yelled.

The three Magics looked over to see Linus running toward the house, one hand holding the same little girl’s hand and the other a very nice baseball mitt. The din he made brought a number of the other children outside, including a visibly irritated older sister. “We saw the Great Pumpkin! He rose up out of Mr. Gourdlighter’s pumpkin patch! He gave me this great mitt and a baseball autographed by Roy Hobbs. He gave Sally a Wynona Wetsy doll. He really does exist!”

“There is no such thing as the Great Pumpkin!” Lucy told him in a slow, loud, angry voice. She reminded Harry of his Uncle Vernon, including that throbbing vein in her forehead.

“Really young lady? Then who is that? The Red Baron?” Ginny asked, pointing up to the sky.

Flying across the moon, just far enough away to obscure a respectable view, was a figure astride a broom and with what appeared to be an enormous pumpkin on its shoulders. The group, which fortunately didn’t include any other parents for the moment, let out a collective gasp. Harry and Ginny both decided that perhaps they didn’t need to contact the American Bureau of Magic too soon about the incident.


*****



It was almost ten o’clock when the family returned to Myer’s house. The uncle still hadn’t returned, nor had the babysitter heard from him. The teenager explained that Lily had gone right to sleep for her, and Ginny saw that Harry and both her sons weren’t too far behind in that regard. It had been a long day for all of them.

Ginny didn’t feel that she could sleep yet. She had a great deal to think about, including the magical dog, the mysterious flyer, and the ridiculous explanation they had given Charlie regarding the colossal bag of candy he found himself with. The rocks had been a joke pulled on him, while another unidentified friend had followed the group collecting his real treats.

Ginny spent a good hour quietly cleaning the kitchen area, occasionally commenting to herself about how easy it was to identify a bachelor’s home. Finally inspecting the refrigerator, she scolded herself about not examining the grocery delivery earlier. The man hadn’t ordered anything that could be used for breakfast. There were just several containers of ketchup, salsa, and tomato sauce inside.

The hallway clock had just finished chiming the half-hour when she heard the rapping at the kitchen door. It was too late for trick or treaters, and Ginny couldn’t imagine anyone visiting so late or coming to the back of the house.

Drawing her wand, she slowly stepped up to open it. Bit by bit she pulled the bolt, turned the knob, and opened the door. For half a heartbeat, she wished that she hadn’t. There stood a tall man covered from head to toe in…

[♫Schroeder inserts dramatic, scary musical crescendo♫]

“Uncle Michael, you are drenched in smelly pumpkin innards. I’ve just mopped this floor. I’ll fetch you a change of clothing, but you will need to step into your garage to change. You forgot your key again, didn’t you? I’ll put on some water for your tea. Oh, may I have the knife please? I like your mask.”

Fifteen minutes later the two were seated at the kitchen table enjoying an excellent decaffeinated green tea. Uncle Michael’s discarded clothing sat near the back door in a wicker laundry basket, and it was beginning to smell of rotten pumpkin. Atop it was the rubber mask that he had been wearing.

“So, Uncle…you’re the Great Pumpkin, aren’t you?” The man merely nodded at the question. “I suspected that it was you when you took the kitchen knife. You used it to carve your head covering. The rubber mask was to protect you from the slime inside. I wish that you could have taken the time to scrape it out better. Your clothing will require a real effort to clean, even with your Muggle washing machine.” Again, he nodded in agreement.

Ginny rose and fetched more hot water for the teapot. She paused for a moment to study the unusual mask once again. Did it look familiar for some reason?

“I imagine that you’ve been doing this for years. Linus and his mother began to deliver your groceries recently. You decided after meeting the boy that it was it was his turn to meet your character. That was very nice what you did, but a lot of Muggle children saw you flying tonight,” Ginny accurately pointed out.

“Oh dear,” he almost whispered. “I imagine that someone will be notifying the authorities again. I’m still in trouble about that little…mischief with all those teenagers.”


*****



I wrote down this story for Harry and Ginny shortly after they returned to Hogsmeade that weekend. The years passed, and while the tale became a traditional favorite every Halloween with the children, no one ever really bothered to follow up with what had happened that October.

About a week ago the Potters received a nicely typed letter from Oregon that had been forwarded through my old Wizarding school there. After a bit of discussion, it was decided that I tack it onto the end of the story.

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Potter,

I know that it has been a long time, but I was hoping that you might remember me and that Halloween seven years ago. I was the short one with the large nose and overly-protective yellow friend. Let me first say that I am doing well, and with help from the Wizarding Humane Society, I have greatly improved my control of accidental magic. That epidemic of pantsless mailmen was just a little mishap.

Linus is also doing well, and he no longer minds Sally referring to him as her sweet baboo. Their Halloweens are much more enjoyable now. His older sister Lucy is currently residing in the Daisy Hill Funny Farm, and she is fully expected to be eating solid food again very soon.

As for the round-headed kid, my ‘supposed master’ Charlie Brown, he had a very unusual Halloween this year. While he and his friends are obviously much too old to trick or treat, they still hold their annual party at Violet’s house. No, there has been no reappearance of the Great Pumpkin (but there was a multi-state police taskforce that questioned some of the youngsters about someone they suspected of something).

Anyway, this year Charlie arrived a bit late for the celebration. As he entered the room the little red-haired girl he now goes to high school with came running toward him. Without thinking, without planning it, without worrying about the fact that fifty people were watching, Charlie Brown kissed her. I was very proud of him.

I hope you and yours are all healthy and happy there in Scotland. Best regards and hopes that your family has a wonderful holiday season.

Mischief managed!

Snoopy

Reviews 9
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear