Search:

SIYE Time:3:56 on 18th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Need
By iluvfanfics

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Fluff, General, Romance
Warnings: Extreme Language, Sexual Situations
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 725
Summary: Their nightmares and demons bound them together. Their love helped them to survive. Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley knew they needed each other; the trouble was in admitting it.
Hitcount: Story Total: 277248; Chapter Total: 14568
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
A/N: The vows Harry and Ginny speak are taken directly from Karen Marie Moning's Highlander series.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 30

Harry tugged nervously at his collar, resisting the urge to loosen his tie. He’d rejected the muggle bow tie the London shopkeeper had originally offered to go with the black suit, opting instead for a white vest and regular white silk tie, but it wasn’t much more comfortable. He was too nervous to be comfortable.

It wasn’t that he was nervous about marrying Ginny per se. It was just…marriage was a big step. And while he knew this was the right thing, knew that Ginny was his other half, that she was the only one he would ever want to marry, the finality of the step they were about to take was catching up with him.

Not to mention the fact that they’d snuck off to elope, leaving only a brief note behind. He’d deprived Molly Weasley of the chance to plan her only daughter’s wedding and hadn’t even asked Ginny’s father for her hand. Her six older brothers were probably plotting some sort of revenge this very moment.

Harry paced the living room of their beach bungalow with these thoughts swirling in head. He was just about to knock on the bedroom door and tell Ginny that perhaps they should find a fire and Floo her family when the door opened and she stepped out.

All doubts and questions left Harry’s mind when he saw her. He had a vague sense of déjà vu, his mind casting back to being dumbstruck by her in another dress at the Yule Ball his fourth year, but this was beyond anything he’d imagined. This was his bride. In less than hour she was going to be his wife.

Wife. His. Forever.

He’d never been more turned on in his life.

Ginny smoothed down the front of the white silk. The simple dress was strapless and fell just below her knees in full skirt. The rucked bodice gave the appearance of being wrapped tightly around her, but she was actually quite comfortable. It was the only dress she’d tried on and once she’d found it, she knew she didn’t need to keep looking. She’d pinned her hair up and stuck a yellow flower she’d found on a bush outside behind one ear.

The look on Harry’s face said she’d achieved the look she was going for.

“So, um…that bum knee of yours is looking pretty good,” Harry croaked.

Ginny felt her mouth curve into a smile.

“The other knee is looking pretty good too,” he finished.

“Thanks,” she said dryly. “I was going for good-looking knees.”

Harry flushed and groaned. “Sorry, it’s just…damn, Ginny. You’ve got me all tongue-tied.”

“Good,” she said. “’Cause me in a wedding dress is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.”

Harry had no response for that so he just grinned at her and held out his hand for her to take. “You look beautiful,” he said sincerely when she drew closer to him. He bent his head to her neck and brushed his lips over her throat, pleased when he felt her shudder.

“You look very handsome,” Ginny murmured. She brushed imaginary lint of his shoulders as an excuse to touch him, her fingers curling into the shoulder pads underneath his jacket as he began nibbling on the tendon in her neck.

“H - Harry,” she breathed, her head falling back to allow him better access, “we should get going. We have to be there in a few minutes.”

He lifted his head from her neck and nodded, not trusting himself to speak. He was suddenly overcome with the depth of his love for her. She was a part of him. He was so grateful they’d made it to this point – he couldn’t even fathom where he’d be right now if Voldemort had-

”Quit that,” Ginny said sharply.

“Quit what?” Harry schooled his features into a mask of innocence.

“You’re brooding again,” she said, shaking his arm for emphasis. “Stop it. We’re supposed to be happy. We’ve survived and we’re here.” She stepped back and held out her hand. “Now c’mon, it’s time to begin the rest of our lives.”

Harry laughed and allowed her to lead him towards the front door. “Never thought I’d see the day when Ginny Weasley was the positive attitude in the room.”

“It’s amazing how great you feel when your boyfriend kills an evil wizard,” she replied.

“It wasn’t just me,” he admonished her. “You know that.”

“Whatever,” she said dismissively. “Let’s get this over with. How are we getting there?”

“Oh.” He stopped and patted down his pockets. “I’ve got the Apparition coordinates in here somewhere.” He pulled a slip of paper out of his jacket pocket and memorized it quickly before showing it to her.

“Where is it?” she asked, trying to commit the coordinates to memory.

“It’s supposed to be the front office of the Indonesian Wizarding Ministry in downtown Jakarta.” He nodded at her. “You go ahead, I’ll follow.”

She grinned at him quickly before disappearing with a soft pop. Seconds later, Harry appeared beside her in a lobby that looked remarkably similar to England’s Ministry of Magic.

“Do all Ministries of Magic look this way?” he asked Ginny out of the corner of his mouth.

“I think it must be a rule,” she answered.

The place was deserted except for the light from a wall of Floo fireplaces along one wall and a well-lit hallway that Ginny assumed led to offices. Harry laced his fingers with hers and they walked over to consult the directory on the wall.

It didn’t take long to locate the licensing office. They both hesitated outside the door, their hands clasped tightly together.

“It’s amazing how just opening a door will change your whole life,” Ginny said. She met his questioning eyes. “I’m not scared you know,” she said. “Just…reflective.”

“You can reflect later,” he said. “Let’s just get this over with.”

“That’s the sentiment every girl dreams of on her wedding day,” she muttered, but she stepped through the threshold when he opened the door and stopped at the sight of a beaming, elderly wizard who had obviously been expecting them. He had a long white beard to rival Dumbledore’s, and was wearing blue robes of the most garish shade that, combined with his diminutive size, made him look rather like a fairy.

“Mr. Potter and Miss Weasley, I presume?” He had a surprisingly deep voice for such a small person and he spoke in slow, measured tones that rendered his local accent almost unrecognizable.

“Yes.” Harry shook the man’s hand. “Are you Mr. Kalla?”

He nodded. “You may call me Jusef. It is an honour to meet you both.”

Ginny shot a questioning look at Harry and then looked back at Jusef. “You know who we are?”

Jusef shrugged. “What wizard alive does not know?”

“But, you’ve kept our appointment here a secret?”

Harry squeezed her hand. “It was the only way I could get him to agree to a private, after-hours meeting Ginny. Don’t worry – he’s signed a contract. He couldn’t talk about it even if he wanted to.”

She lifted one eyebrow at him. “A contract ala Hermione?”

He grinned back at her in response. “Of course.”

“I will keep your secret, Miss Weasley,” Jusef spoke up. “Do not fear your privacy.”

Ginny nodded. “Right then, can we get started?”

Jusef beamed at them, picked up a book from a nearby desk and motioned for them to follow him out of the room. “I thought, since you were forced to be so private for the ceremony, you might enjoy having it in our gardens. The entire building is built around a courtyard, which is quite lovely this time of year, and a bit more conducive to romance than an office.”

“Thank you,” Ginny murmured as he led them down the hallway and down a series of passages that seemed endless. Eventually they arrived at the centre of the building, and Jusef opened up the glass walls with a wave of his wand. He settled them happily in front of a large bush with tropical flowers Ginny had never seen before and opened his book with a contented sigh.

“A traditional wizarding ceremony always brings out the romantic in me,” he told them. “Are you ready to begin?”

“Wait,” Harry said suddenly. “I almost forgot.” He fished in his jacket pocket and pulled out a piece of parchment that he handed to Jusef. “We want these to be our vows.”

Jusef scanned the parchment and quickly paled. “You realize what these are?”

“Yes, of course,” Harry said. He and Ginny had researched for the right vows for weeks. When she had found these ancient vows in a book in the Hogwarts library, they’d known immediately they had found what they were looking for.

“These - these are ancient soul-binding vows,” Jusef said shakily. “They have not been used in many, many years. You realize that if you use these, they will bind your souls through eternity.”

“We know that,” Harry said impatiently. “We’ve done all the research and it’s what we want. Are you afraid to use them?”

“No,” Jusef answered uncertainly.

“Then what’s the problem?” Harry looked back at Ginny who seemed amused at the look of shock on Jusef’s face. They knew the dangers of binding their souls together for eternity, but he just didn’t care. Harry knew this was the right thing to do, he could already feel his soul reaching for hers.

Ginny’s eyes met Harry’s, and the sudden feeling that she was perched on the edge of a precipice overwhelmed her. Normally, she would have thought once, twice, three times before jumping off, but right now she felt like jumping off without a parachute. It scared her, how much she wanted to bind herself to this man.

“I’m ready,” she said softly. Harry held out both hands for her to take, his eyes telling her that he was feeling the seriousness of the moment. They didn’t need a fancy wedding with all their friends and family – they just needed this moment.

At Harry’s nod, Jusef began reading from the book in his hands. Ginny scarcely heard him focused as she was on Harry. It was only when the ministry wizard began the vow ceremony that she was startled into paying attention.

“Please touch the tips of your wands together,” Jusef intoned.

When their wand tips rested against one another, Jusef turned to Harry. “Harry Potter, will you take this woman to be your wife? Will you swear by your magic to be her protector so that she will always be safe and will never know the harm or evil of the world? To provide for her so that she will want for nothing, to keep her in home and happiness, forsaking all others so that she will be always confident in her choice of a mate?”

Harry tore his gaze away from Ginny long enough to stare incredulously at the wizard. “Um…no,” he said frankly. “If I promised that for the rest of our lives she’d probably kick my arse.”

The look of shock on Jusef’s face would have been comical under normal circumstances. “B-b-but, you have to, it’s part of the ceremony,” the small man stuttered. “You s-said you wanted to get married!”

“I do,” Harry said. “But do I have to promise those things? They’re sort of…”

“Outdated?” Ginny supplied. She bit back a laugh at the look on Harry’s face. It was halfway between distaste and a hint of fear.

“Well, what do you want to promise?” Jusef seemed genuinely confused.

“Well…um….” Harry racked his brain for the words he wanted to say. He wasn’t the best with flowery speeches. He turned back to face Ginny, a determined look on his face.

“Ginny,” he said forcefully, “I swear by my magic to love you until the day I die. I promise to let you be your own person, to not stifle you or shelter you, to let you fight beside me and for me when I can’t fight for myself. In return I will fight with you and for you; I won’t let you give up. I will take care of you, and I’ll let you take care of me. Everything we have been through was worth it to get to this point. Because it means that for the rest of our lives, I can kick your arse in Quidditch.”

If Jusef looked any more shocked, Harry thought he might pass out. But the smile on Ginny’s face and the sparkle in her eyes told him he’d said the right thing.

Jusef swallowed heavily and straightened his shoulders before turning to Ginny. He seemed relieved that Harry was finished speaking.

“Ginny Weasley,” Jusef began, “do you swear by your magic to take this man as your husband? To keep his home and heart happy, to fill his life with love? To be fruitful and multiply? To love and cherish him, forsaking all others and putting his happiness before your very own?”

If Harry hadn’t been holding his wand with one hand and Ginny’s with the other he would have clapped his hand over the wizard’s mouth. He cringed when her eyes flashed; he could almost feel the cold chill of her stare as she faced the ministry wizard.

“No, I don’t think so,” she said icily. “When was that book written anyway?”

“It’s the traditional wizard marriage ceremony used in Indonesia,” Jusef said stiffly. “It’s been used and cherished for generations.”

“Well, I’m not swearing by my magic to do any of that,” she informed him. She turned back to Harry and took a deep breath.

“Harry, you have saved my life more times than I care to count. You’ve saved the lives of my family, my friends and well…the entire world really, but even if you hadn’t, I would still love you. I swear by magic to love you until the last breath leaves my body. I promise to never make promises I can’t keep, but I’ll stand with you and for you. I’ll do my best to fill your life with laughter and love. I promise to hex you when you’re acting like a prat, and I expect you to tell me when I’m being a complete arse. And I swear by my magic that I will shag you as senseless as I possibly can for the rest of my life.”

Her declaration was met with a shocked silence from Jusef and a wide grin from Harry.

“That definitely works for me,” he murmured, his gaze moving to her lips. The ceremony suddenly seemed ridiculously long.

Jusef gave a great sigh and closed the book, resigning himself to this unorthodox couple in front of him.

“Do you have the rings?”

Harry produced two simple gold bands and gave them to Jusef.

His face solemn, Jusef handed Ginny’s ring to Harry and said, “Place this ring on her finger as a symbol of your never ending love and fidelity, reciting the binding vows you have chosen.”

With a remarkably steady hand, Harry took the small circlet of gold and held it on Ginny’s ring finger. He recited the ancient words he’d memorized:

If aught must be lost, ‘twill be my honour for yours.
If one must be forsaken, ‘twill be my soul for yours.
Should death come anon, ‘twill be my life for yours.
I am Given.

The words were old fashioned, but they had been powerful enough when they were written centuries ago. Even though they hadn’t been used in over a hundred years, Harry felt the chill of the binding power run down his spine as he pledged his heart to Ginny’s forever. Even if she never said the words back, he was soul-bound to her, destined to be reborn only loving her over and over again. He would follow her into death and his soul would spend eternity loving her.

Ginny watched the emotion swimming in Harry’s eyes and took her ring from Jusef without hesitation. She repeated the binding vow back to him, her words clear and precise, and her eyes never leaving his.

The moment the vow was said, the final pledge echoed in the courtyard; emotion crashed over her so intensely, her knees buckled. Love for him filled every ounce of her being. It was the most incredible sensation she’d ever felt. They were inextricably linked now, for all eternity.

Jusef pulled out his own wand, touched it to the tips of Harry and Ginny’s wands and said the wizarding binding spell. A gold light shot out of the point at which the three wands met and swirled around Harry and Ginny, wrapping around them until Harry could feel the magic binding their hearts, minds and souls together. It lasted only a minute but for that one bright moment, Harry could feel every part of Ginny as if they were one person in two bodies. Their souls intertwined, fully bound.

Harry returned to himself when the light disappeared, but he would forever carry the memory of the way Ginny’s soul had felt. It was the most beautiful thing he’d ever experienced, and he could tell by the tears in Ginny’s eyes that it had been the same for her.

“W-wow,” Jusef stammered. “That was…that was quite something.” He cleared his throat and pocketed his wand. “Then by the magic invested in me, I declare you to be husband and wife.” He beamed at Harry. “You may kiss the bride.”

Harry let his wand arm fall down to his side and pulled Ginny towards him with the other. The kiss was wet, long, deep and entirely inappropriate, but he simply could not help himself. When he pulled back, Ginny’s eyes fluttered and she smiled softly at him.

“Let’s get out of here. I’d like to start on some of my vows now.”

“Right away, Mrs. Potter,” Harry grinned at her.

It took ten minutes to sign the necessary paperwork, obliviate Jusef’s memory -- despite the contract he’d signed -- and erase any sign that Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley had made an appointment to get married that evening. They filed their license themselves, after Harry had put Jusef to sleep and placed several mild repelling charms on the document so that even those who went looking for it would find it difficult to locate.

They Apparated back to the front door of their bungalow, and before Ginny could say a word of protest, Harry had swept her up in her arms and carried her inside.

“What are you doing?”

“This is how the muggles do it,” he informed her. “It’s tradition for the groom to carry the bride across the threshold after they’re married.”

“Wow, Harry,” Ginny’s voice was filled with awe, “can you believe we’re married? I’m your wife. I mean…your wife.”

He set her on her feet then and mock growled as he yanked her soft form against him. “It sounds even better when you say it.”

He bent to trail kisses along her throat and whispered reverently, “Ginny Potter,” as he pressed his lips to the skin.

“People are going to think we’re crazy when they find out,” she murmured, her head falling back to give him better access.

“Meh.” His hands went to the zipper at her side and slowly lowered it, the rasp of metal on metal filling the otherwise quiet room. The dress parted and slid down her body to collapse in a heap at her feet. Harry wanted to touch, to feel her silky skin with his hands, but he forced himself to step back and look at her. He wanted to remember her always like this; her eyes dark with a growing passion, her skin flushed and covered with the red marks he’d just put on her.

He groaned when he saw what she was wearing – tight, white lace that did nothing to cover the delectable flesh underneath.

“Is that for me?” he asked hoarsely.

Ginny nodded, a seductive smirk crossing her face. “Every girl wants fancy lingerie on her wedding night. Do you like it?”

Harry knew Ginny better than she knew herself, and he could hear the vulnerability she was hiding behind that smirk. She wanted to please him.

He stepped close again and grabbed her about the waist, hoisting her up until she wrapped her legs around his waist and her arms around his neck. He carried her towards the bed, tossing her in the centre as he stepped back to remove his tie, vest and shirt. He toed his shoes and socks off but left the pants on; he wanted her to remove those.

He crawled up over her and groaned when his bare chest came into contact with the soft lace of her outfit.

“I more than like it, Fury,” he whispered, placing a soft kiss on her collarbone.

He slanted his mouth over hers then, and Ginny whimpered – a most un-Ginny-like sound. The kiss deepened and Harry swept his tongue into her mouth, one hand going to her hips to hold them still, another tangling in her hair.

Ginny felt herself surrender as she gave every bit of herself to her new husband. After Tom Riddle had tried to take her soul when she was just eleven, she’d swore she’d never give it away again, but she was fooling herself if she thought she hadn’t given it to Harry years ago. She felt the power of the binding vows they’d taken swirl through her veins and into her heart until her mind was chanting, “I am Given, I am Given…” even while her body was lost in pleasure.

Her fingers curled into his shoulders, the nails making half-moon impressions in his skin and she hissed when his mouth travelled over jaw, down her throat and lower. Her soul opened up even further until there was nothing left to give, nothing left with which to bargain, nothing left to hold back for herself. Harry must have sensed her total surrender because he reached up with one trembling hand and wiped the tears from her face, even while his mouth travelled her skin.

“Mine,” he groaned into her skin. “You’re mine.”

“Yours,” she agreed breathlessly. “Always.”

******

Harry wasn’t sure what other people did on their honeymoons, but he was pretty sure he and Ginny were the only ones who knew how to do it right. It’d been two weeks since they’d arrived in Indonesia and they’d barely left their bungalow or private beach since. Food was delivered to their door and a maid came to clean the place every morning while they were swimming in the ocean. There was no need or desire to socialize with the other guests, and they certainly didn’t fancy sightseeing on the island only to have someone recognize them.

Ginny looked like a sun-kissed goddess by now. Her skin, usually so fair, was a glowing apricot. Her freckles were multiplying at a rapid rate and Harry was hard-pressed to kiss and count them all.

Not that he wasn’t giving the effort his very best, he thought with a smirk.

He lay back with a contented sigh on his beach lounge chair and watched his wife enter the ocean. He wondered what she would do when it was time to go back to England and put on some decent clothes. Ginny wore bikinis almost exclusively now – they’d been forced to charm on disguises and buy her several more on one of their rare trips into town for supplies.

Harry grabbed his nearby wand and reapplied the sunblocking charm to his exposed skin; he’d learned to reapply the charm religiously their first day on the beach when his chest and shoulders had gotten red as a tomato. He’d barely been able to make love to Ginny that night and although she informed him exasperatedly that they didn’t have to shag every night, he’d been determined.

Ginny soon finished her swim and Harry set aside the book he’d been reading as she approached. She had a familiar look in her eye, and he meant to take full advantage. She walked towards him looking like some sort of mermaid, a goddess of the sea with her long red hair, now streaked with gold from the sun, dripping wet and falling over her shoulders and down her back. She stood over him, and Harry stretched out his legs as she slowly lowered herself to straddle his lap. He didn’t care that she was wet from the ocean; her silky wet hair curtained his face as she lowered her cold lips to his. She smelled like the sea and tasted like salt.

He warmed her lips thoroughly, his tongue gliding over hers and his hands sliding over her slippery skin. She pulled back and as he untied the flimsy strings holding her bikini together, she whispered, “Ginny Potter loves Harry Potter.”

*******
Ginny scowled as she looked around the bedroom she and Harry had called home for the past three weeks. She didn’t want to pack, she didn’t feel like packing, and she was irritated with Harry for taking a walk on the beach while she stayed behind to gather the things they’d strewn throughout their tiny beach bungalow.

The fact that she’d insisted he take the walk while she packed for both of them escaped her notice. It’d been a stupid decision anyway.

With a glum sigh, she waved her wand and muttered the packing charm on a pile of clothing the resort had just freshly laundered for them. She wondered how long it would take before the smell of the ocean and suntan lotion left their clothes after they went back to England. She would miss it.

“Ginny?” Harry appeared at the patio door that led to the beach. “Come outside and watch the sunset.”

All too glad to get out of the house, Ginny grabbed a pair of soft cotton pants and a cotton jumper, throwing them over her swimsuit. The beach got rather chilly at night.

She and Harry often sat on the sand to watch the sunset and tonight would be the last time they would get to do so. Harry had promised her they would come back, but Ginny knew that life often got in the way of such things.

They settled on the sand, Ginny between Harry’s bent legs, her back against his chest. He sighed and nuzzled her hair.

“We’ve got to make some decisions.”

Ginny stifled the urge to whine, instead she quipped, “Should I get a quill and parchment?”

“Maybe.” He wrapped his arms around her shoulders from behind and rested his chin on the top of her head. “I think we should be prepared for some anger from your family.”

She agreed completely. Her mother alone would be a mighty force to be reckoned with, and Ginny didn’t even want to think about what her six brothers were going to say about their baby sister getting married the moment she turned seventeen.

Sometimes she couldn’t believe it herself. But then she and Harry would lie in bed late at night and discuss their future and she would get so excited about it she couldn’t wait to start it with him. She never would have dreamed she’d get married so young; she hadn’t even been sure she was the marrying kind, but when Harry had asked her that second time, she knew she could no longer deny what her heart wanted.

“They’ll get over it,” she finally said, somewhat flippantly. “S’not like they can separate us. And I am of age. There’s little they can do, Harry.”

“I don’t want them mad at me,” he grimaced. “They’re the only family I’ve ever had, Ginny.”

“Then they’ll love you, just as they love me,” she told him softly. “They might be mad at us, but they’ll forgive us and keep on loving us. That’s what families do.”

She felt him nod, but knew he wasn’t convinced. Her heart broke for the life he’d lived with those bloody Dursleys; they had never shown him what a true family was like, she wasn’t even sure they knew themselves.

“They’re going to want to know how you’re going to finish school,” he said abruptly. “What are we going to tell them?”

“I don’t want to go back,” she said instantly. “I couldn’t take a whole year away from you.”

“Me either, Fury,” he hugged her tighter. “But you’ve got to take your NEWTs at least. And I know you’re smart, but do you really think you can pass them right now?”

“No,” she conceded. “We’ll have to get a tutor.”

“Okay,” he said firmly. “Then it’s decided. We’ll find you a tutor and you’ll take the NEWTs. Now, when are we going to tell them we’re moving out?”

She shrugged. “I don’t expect they’ll think we’re going to live with them now. We’ll just tell them we’ve rented a flat for a few months while we’re looking for a house.”

Ginny and Harry had rented the flat in downtown Muggle London in secret a few weeks before they’d eloped. Both of them decided they didn’t want to stay there long – they preferred a place that was more private, perhaps in the country, but had decided to wait until they got back from the honeymoon to seriously look for something larger. It was hard enough keeping the flat shopping a secret.

“We’ll stay a few nights at the Burrow,” she decided. “While we move our stuff to the flat. If we ask Mum to help us find a house maybe it will distract her.”

“Things are going to be so different when we get back,” he murmured, his eyes fastened on the setting sun.

“At least we won’t have to worry about my parents grilling us about how we’re going to support ourselves,” she sighed. “Damn smart of me to marry a rich bloke.”

He chuckled. “Yeah, because it was your idea.”

“I said yes, didn’t I? Eventually.”

He snorted. “Under duress.”

“I would have said yes anyway,” she said without hesitation. “I told you that.”

“I know.” She felt his kisses run down the side of her face. “But I like hearing it.”

“Arrogant prat.”

The playful banter continued as the sun disappeared past the horizon. The past three weeks had been a new experience in so many ways for Harry and Ginny; they’d never been together without the threat of Voldemort hanging over them, tainting everything. It was good – being able to sleep together without the nightmares and finding other topics of conversation besides Death Eaters and Dementors.

Not that there weren’t some nightmares. But the really bad ones had faded away over the summer, and Ginny had found that a normal nightmare was a lot easier to handle than a nightmare where Tom Riddle broke into one’s dreams. For Harry, the nightmare ended as soon as he woke up and saw Ginny sleeping peacefully next to him. It was a tremendous relief to wake up and see her there. It almost made the nightmares worth having.

“I wish we didn’t have to go.” Ginny finally gave into the temptation to whine. “I love it here. Everything is just going to be complicated again when we return.”

“We could stay here, you know. We don’t have to go back.”

Ginny considered the suggestion seriously. Never go back to England? How often would she see her family? She’d miss the Burrow and her brothers and being a part of something that she’d helped to save. Her mother and father’s face appeared in her mind; she saw the Burrow and her brothers and Hermione and Professor Dumbledore. If they stayed here, they would all keep in touch, but she wouldn’t be a part of their lives.

“No,” she said, this time with conviction. “I want to go back. I couldn’t stand being separated, even if they all drive me crazy sometimes.”

Harry breathed a sigh of relief. “Good, because although I love it here, what makes it special is that it’s different. If we lived here, it wouldn’t be special anymore. Besides, I’m anxious to start the rest of our lives, Gin. While we’re here, it’s just on hold.”

Ginny twisted her head and looked up at him. “That’s a very good point, Harry.”

He smiled down at her. “I do make them occasionally.”

She stretched up and kissed him. “I love you.”

“I know,” he kissed her back.

Ginny turned back to watch the last of the day’s sun fade away. It’d been a lovely honeymoon, but Harry was right; it was time to go home.

*******

Molly Weasley woke up earlier than her usual time and lay in bed a few minutes before giving up sleep as a lost cause and heading off to take her shower. It was Saturday, and she decided to let Arthur and the kids have a lie-in. Everyone was still staying at the Burrow, despite the fact that they had the rest of their lives to begin. Most of them were waiting for Harry and Ginny to return and for the past few days, the house had a sense of anticipation hanging over it.

Today marked the end of the three weeks Harry and Ginny said they would be gone, but Molly had no idea if they actually meant to return today. They’d only sent one short letter that said they were fine, happy and not to worry. The note had not even been signed, but Arthur had convinced her it was because they didn’t want to risk the letter being intercepted.

She dressed for the day and bustled downstairs to begin breakfast. Two hours later, the smell of muffins baking and bacon frying had dragged even Ron out of bed, and the Weasley family ate a peaceful and quiet supper in the Burrow’s kitchen.

Molly was trying not to listen for the soft sound of dual apparitions, but every little sound was carefully examined before being dismissed. The whole family froze when they heard the clatter of feet on the back porch and two heavy thuds that might have been suitcases hitting the floor. Everyone exchanged glances, but no one moved, afraid to hope their daughter/sister/friend and new son-in-law/brother-in-law/friend had returned.

“Fury? Did you pack the…oh, here it is.” Harry’s voice was heard outside, and a bright smile spread across Hermione’s face.

The back door soon opened, and a small hand with a very visible emerald and gold band on its ring finger stuck in the tip of Harry’s Firebolt with a large white handkerchief tied around the edge and waved it vigorously.

“We surrender,” Ginny’s voice called. “Don’t attack.” She stuck her head around the door frame and grinned when she saw her entire family and Hermione sitting around the breakfast table.

“Anything left? We’re starving.”

“Ginny!” Molly gasped and then jumped up to hug her daughter. The whole family erupted in pandemonium as they pulled a sheepish Harry and Ginny inside. Harry got clapped on the back and threatened at the same time by most of Ginny’s brothers. He gratefully accepted a huge hug from Ron.

“Guess we’re brothers now, mate,” he said to Harry in an undertone. “But you couldn’t have said anything? Bit of a shock.”

“Sorry,” Harry said, for what seemed like the millionth time. “I wanted to tell you, Ron. Really.”

“It’s okay,” he assured him. “I think I get it.”

Harry smiled gratefully then and hugged Ron again, thankful for his forgiveness. Of all the Weasleys, Harry had worried most about Ron’s reaction. A part of Harry was sad that Ron hadn’t been able to stand up as his best man, but he knew that eloping was the best way to do things.

“Okay, okay!” Mr. Weasley eventually whistled for silence and the family settled down, most of them sitting back down in their chairs. Harry reached out and grabbed Ginny’s hand, certain that it was all about to hit the ceiling. They’d been welcomed because they’d been missed, but what would happen now?

“Harry, Ginny,” Mr. Weasley fixed them with a stern glance. “I’m not sure we completely understand why you had to keep your engagement a secret from your family. We love you both, and we would have been - we ARE happy for you. But we understand your need for privacy. Merlin knows what the press would have done with such knowledge. I, for one,” he shot a look at Molly here, “also completely understand your desire to elope and not have a large wedding; but please understand that we’re your family and we’re sad that we couldn’t be part of your day.”

“We’re sorry,” Harry said earnestly. “But it was something we had to do alone. I don’t know how else to explain it.”

“We needed a break,” Ginny said plainly. “And we needed to be married. Those were most important things at the time.”

“But we are sorry if we hurt you,” Harry added.

Mr. Weasley took a deep breath and smiled gently at them. “Welcome to the family anyway, Harry; although you’ve been a part of it long before this.”

“Thanks.” Harry swallowed thickly.

Molly, who had not let go of her daughter this whole time, turned to face her, both hands on her shoulders. “Even though I was deprived of planning my only daughter’s wedding,” she sniffed ominously, “all that matters it that you are happy.” She looked into her daughter’s eyes searchingly.

“And I can see that you are,” she said softly. “You’re practically glowing, both of you,” she reached out a hand to Harry and he took it. “I haven’t seen this much,” she visibly struggled for the right word, “contentment in you, Ginny, in a long time.” She looked at Harry. “And I’ve never seen it in you. You are good for each other, I think.”

“We’re sickeningly happy, Mum,” Ginny told her. “I promise.”

“Then that’s all that matters.” Her mum smiled and hugged both of them at the same time. “Welcome home, dears.”

Reviews 725
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear