Search:

SIYE Time:14:17 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Rebuilding Life
By Kezzabear

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/AB
Characters:All
Genres: General, Humor, Romance
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 1776
Summary: Harry has defeated Voldemort but is going back to his life going to be easy? What will he go back to, the life he once had is meaningless now. It's time to build a new one and to create a new post-Voldemort world. Ginny is there waiting for him, what do they need to do to rebuild their lives?
Hitcount: Story Total: 579777; Chapter Total: 18390
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:

This took a little longer than I had planned but it's here now! Many thanks to parakletos for picking up on a couple of dry parts - I have endeavoured to make them more interesting. Here's hoping I pulled it off. Please spare a thought and prayers for my beta Rachael who's recovering from a serious MVA during the holidays, I hope she's back on deck soon - meanwhile, if the commas are missing, forgive us.


I've decided to change the rating, as a reviewer said, it's outgrown PG-13. I don't plan on things getting heavier than they do in this chapter but there's a certain mature outlook about this story now.


Enjoy the Percy moments!




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


“Got you an appointment at ten tomorrow!” Arthur called cheerily as Harry entered the kitchen for tea, Ginny on his heels. Harry grimaced, he still did not want to talk to Percy at all but he thanked Arthur anyway.

“Appointment for what?” asked Ginny quietly. Harry turned to her but she had made her presence known and he had no chance to answer her. Molly descended on her only daughter and Ginny bore her attentions with good grace, sitting at the table and allowing her mother to fuss over her. Harry, caught Molly beaming at him more than once during the meal and noticed that she piled his plate higher than usual. He took this as thanks for enticing Ginny out of her room.

Ginny was quieter than usual during the meal but it was as if George sensed her need to be distracted and he regaled the table with tales of the shop’s reopening.

“I’m not sure, but I think that there are more single witches than ever before,” he said in an undertone to Ginny at one point. “Plenty of beautiful girls wandered into the shop today and I have more than one date.” He winked at her and Ginny wrinkled his nose at him before smiling slightly.

“You are going to break some poor girl’s heart, George,” said Ron with mock severity. “I’m not sure there’s enough of you to go around if you spread yourself this thin.”

“Thin? You call two dates spreading myself thin?” asked George. “Two is merely making the most of my time, three would be spreading myself thin.”

“So what’s four then?” asked Hermione, eyebrow raised.

“Dangerous,” answered George before reaching for more mashed potato. Ginny laughed and Harry’s heart felt lighter at her good humour.

After tea, when Harry had a chance to explain to Ginny who his appointment was with and why, she looked at him intently for a moment.

“I’m not sure you can convince him of anything,” she said finally.

“Gee, that makes me feel loads better,” said Harry rolling his eyes.

“But it means a lot that you’d try,” Ginny added softly.

“I’d rather stay with you,” whispered Harry wistfully, nuzzling her neck, but she shook her head.

“Mum needs to fuss over me tomorrow,” she explained to his enquiring gaze. “She was frantic today. I could hear her on the other side of the door; I just couldn’t bear to let her in.”

They were sitting together in an oversized armchair by the fire in the living room. They had joined the rest of the family, speaking quietly so that the rest could not hear and no one bothered them as Harry wiped away the tear that ran slowly down her cheek. Molly and Arthur both looked concerned but did not interfere as Harry conjured a handkerchief and pulled her more securely onto his lap to hold her while she cried quietly.

The next morning, as he strode through The Ministry, trying to ignore the people staring at him, Harry wished he was anywhere else but on his way to see Percy. It had been difficult for Harry to leave Ginny that morning. She had looked pale and so small sitting alone in the large chair in the sitting room but she had insisted he go and even as he knocked on Percy’s office door Harry worried about her. He pushed it out of his mind, reminding himself that if anyone could coddle someone out of a funk it was Molly Weasley.

He was startled from his reverie when the door suddenly jerked open and Percy poked his head out, looking first left then right down the corridor in which it was situated. Harry just watched him bemused, as Percy eyed a wizard with a mop and bucket who was slowly mopping the same patch of floor in a circular motion over and over again in front of a door that appeared to be a toilet. Percy reminded him of a spy on a particularly bad spoof comedy. The notion was only heightened when Percy beckoned him with a finger and hissed at him.

“Pssssssssssst, Harry!”

“What?” Harry hissed back in a stage whisper. “Who are we looking for?”

“Stella,” answered Percy shortly. “Hurry up!” He reached out an arm, grasping Harry by the elbow and yanked him inside the darkened office before looking out the door once more. Harry poked his head out the door under Percy’s arm.

“Who’s Stella?” he managed to get out before Percy pushed his head back inside and shut the door with a snap.

“She’s stalking me,” whispered Percy, opening the door a crack and peering out. Harry stifled a laugh with great difficulty and Percy closed the door with a sudden snap.

“She’s coming, get down!” he said as he ducked down so that he was below the level of the window in his office door. Harry just stood there and Percy reached out and yanked him down by one sleeve. Percy cast a locking spell on the door just as the handle rattled and a shrill voice reverberated through the glass pane.

“Mr Weasley, are you in there?” it said. “I’ve got some paperwork for you to sign.”

“She doesn’t sound like a stalker,” whispered Harry.

“Shhhhhhhhhh!” Percy made the sound almost silently and motioned at Harry frantically with one hand.

“Well, I’ll just leave them on my desk then,” Stella’s voice said. “Right next door … I’m sure you know where it is.” Harry heard her heels click clacking for a few steps before another door clicked shut quietly. Percy sighed and flicked his wand to unlock the door and turn the lamps back on.

“Wretched paperwork, always wanting it signed,” he muttered as he strode to his desk which was, as Harry had anticipated, as neat as a pin with papers lined up in meticulous rows in line with the edge of the desk, a row of quills evenly spaced on the desk and four different coloured inkpots in a row next to a pile of thick and very boring looking reference books. The top one was titled ‘Magical Regulations: The In and Outs of Drafting New Items for the Regulation of Cauldron Sizes’.

“So, Stella … she stalks you to get you to … sign things?” asked Harry as he picked up a paperweight and turned it upside down. Percy plucked it from his grasp.

“Yes, she does,” he said in a clipped tone as he put the paperweight back down and then straightened it about two millimetres.

“Sounds more like a secretary,” muttered Harry, picking up a beige quill and wondering where Percy got such a boring colour.

“The fact that she is my secretary is neither here nor there,” said Percy. Harry snorted and tried to cover it up with a cough. Percy glared at him and snatched the quill back, placing it back in its neat place on his desk. Harry did not have a chance to say anything further because the door burst open and Percy paled, ducking under his desk. Harry whirled around to see Bill standing, bemused, in the doorway, holding an armful of scrolls.

“Stella’s gone for tea, Perce,” he called and Harry nearly burst out laughing as Percy, his hair uncharacteristically sticking up, poked his pale face above his desk, his eyes darting about madly.

“Are you sure?” he asked Bill desperately. Bill looked as if he was holding back laughter with great difficulty.

“Yeah, I’m sure,” said Bill, lowering his voice to a conspiratorial whisper. “I watched her buying an Eccles cake and a pot of tea not three minutes ago.” Percy stood up and attempted to look dignified, something which Harry thought he failed to do entirely.

“She’s getting worse,” Percy said in a low voice. Bill merely laughed.

“You’re imagining it,” he replied. “I brought those documents you wanted anyway. Kingsley gave me permission to look at practically anything — you were right.”

“What was Percy right about?” asked Harry, wincing as he realised how abrupt he sounded. Neither Percy nor Bill seemed to notice.

“I was afraid I was,” muttered Percy as Bill handed him the scrolls. Percy began scanning the documents and muttering to himself.

“What was he right about?” Harry asked Bill again.

“The copy of your statement that went to the courts was incomplete,” said Bill gravely. “It affected the outcome of some of the trials.”

“Which trials?” demanded Harry.

“Lucius Malfoy’s for a start,” said Percy looking up from the parchment in his hand. “Things were a tad chaotic right after … well, at the time. We had an admin assistant in charge of the written statements.”

“An admin assistant with no idea what he’s doing by the look of things,” said Bill. “The git left out an entire page!” Percy shuffled the parchment and uncharacteristically swore.

“Listen to this,” he said. “Captured by Snatchers and carted away … after that Mrs Malfoy was sent to check on me.” Harry stared at the parchment in Percy’s hand.

“But what about the whole ‘imprisoned in Malfoy Manor where Lucius was hiding Voldemort’ part?” he asked in shock. “No wonder he was able to use that testimony to get himself off!” Percy nodded gravely.

“I’m afraid no one really noticed the discrepancy at the time,” he said. “We were a bit busy and pre occupied.”

“But didn’t anyone search the Manor?” demanded Harry.

“I just spoke to Dad, he reckons an Auror or two went around and Malfoy was very co operative about things,” shrugged Bill. “Kingsley’s been tied up with ministerial stuff and I guess if they only had half a statement to go on …”

“Ollivander was imprisoned in that Manor for more than a year!” bellowed Harry. “How does it not get properly searched?” He had quite forgotten the original reason for his visit to Percy and was utterly furious. Things were starting to make sense however. How could Lucius Malfoy retain money and influence unless the full scope of his activities had been hidden?

“What sort of incompetent nitwit leaves out an entire page when doing a copying spell?” said Percy as he stared in wonder at the parchment in his hand. “This is what happens when you don’t use a scroll.” He shook his head at Harry.

“You’re blaming me for this now?” asked Harry, furious that Percy was apparently intent on blaming him for just about anything. “You know what? You can just piss off, Percy.”

“Now, Harry-”

“Don’t you ‘Harry’ me!” said Harry through clenched teeth. He strode to the door and yanked it open. “Is anyone good enough for you Percy?”

Bill took a step towards him.

“Now, hang on-”

“No, I’m not going to hang on, Bill,” answered Harry. “If all he wants to talk about is whether or not I use scrolled parchment then let Ginny at him!”

“What’s Ginny got to do with any of this?” asked Percy. Harry shut the door deliberately and turned to face Percy.

“If she gets wind of the fact you think we are too serious or that she should, what is it, ‘play the field’ a bit more before settling down,” said Harry, crossing his arms, “then you’d better get familiar with a counter hex for the Bat Bogey hex.”

“Sixteen is awfully young-”

“She’s seventeen,” interrupted Harry pointedly. “And you know it.”

“Sixteen, seventeen, same thing,” said Percy waving a hand dismissively.

“It is not the same thing!”

“The fact remains that you two are very young to be getting involved and doing things like buying pets together,” said Percy officiously, the parchment forgotten on the desk. “What’s next? Are you going to buy a house, ‘shack up’ together? It’s inappropriate behaviour and you’re too young!”

“I already have a house,” said Harry coolly. He glared at Percy. “And you know what? Ginny is welcome to ‘shack up with me’ anytime she likes.”

“Why … well …” Percy seemed lost for words.

“Oh relax Percy,” said Bill sounding quite amused. “They are both living at home with Mum and Dad. Ginny’s virtue is perfectly safe.”

“That’s not the point,” muttered Percy mutinously as he straightened the pile of parchment containing the trial proceedings information.

“Then what is the point?” questioned Bill. Percy seemed to struggle for a moment, opening his mouth and closing it again several times in quick succession.

“Ginevra is special,” he finally managed.

“So is Harry,” Bill reassured him and Harry felt himself turn a brilliant shade of red.

“But how does she know she’s making the right choice?” Percy asked Bill quietly. His demeanour changed, he sounded softer somehow and as if he was pleading with his older brother to explain things to him.

“Trust her Percy,” was all Bill said softly. Percy’s eyes flicked from Bill to Harry who stared at him defiantly.

“But … what if it’s the wrong choice?” Percy looked back at Bill.

“Trust her,” Bill repeated. Percy sighed.

“But she’s just a little girl,” he whispered.

“She’s not,” said Harry. “She’s not a little girl anymore. Voldemort changes things. She grew up a long time ago, Percy.”

“I didn’t pay enough attention to her in her first year,” murmured Percy looking out of the window in his office. Harry noticed it was raining and wondered who was in charge of the weather outside Percy’s window.

“None of us did,” answered Harry.

“She hasn’t been a little girl since then, Percy,” said Bill. There was a long silence. Eventually Percy looked up at Harry.

“You saved her,” he stated quietly. Harry nodded uncomfortably.

“Still think she could be making the wrong choice, Percy?” asked Bill.

“You were only twelve,” was all Percy said as he looked at Harry. “You could have died.” Harry shifted uneasily.

“She would have,” Harry whispered. His heart clenched as he thought about how his life would be different if she had.

“Ginny is special,” said Percy helplessly.

“I know,” Harry answered. “I know she’s special.”

“She’s been hurt enough.”

“You think I would hurt her?” asked Harry. “The last thing I ever want to do is hurt Ginny. She’s my world.”

“Ginny trusts him,” interjected Bill. “She knows what she wants and she’s an adult — you have to let her make her own decisions and take her own risks.”

“When did she grow up?” whispered Percy brokenly as he slumped into the chair behind his desk. “I missed it, didn’t I? I missed so much.”

“Don’t miss anything else, Perce,” said Bill softly, sitting in the chair opposite. “If there’s one thing we need to take away from this war it’s that there’s no time to waste. We can’t afford to miss things.” Percy stared at the paperweight on his desk for a moment before picking it up and turning it over in his hands. He looked up at Harry who was standing, staring at him.

“You don’t want to miss anything do you?” Percy asked Harry. “You don’t want to waste any more time.” Harry shook his head.

“I know we’re young,” he said. “I do know that, but that doesn’t mean we don’t know what we want. It doesn’t mean we’re making the wrong choice. We’ve been through a lot and no one else makes me feel the way she does. I’m not stupid; I know she’s loved me for years. I’m not going to hold anything back from her now, not now that I understand how she feels.”

“You really are in love with her,” said Percy. Harry just nodded. “Does not holding anything back include … well …”

“Oh Merlin, whatever you do, don’t let Ginny hear you ask that!” exclaimed Bill. Harry couldn’t help it, he laughed.

“Well, it’s a matter of propriety,” protested Percy.

“It’s also none of your business,” said Harry crossing his arms over his chest. “But for the record, no, and Merlin help me that is the last time I am answering that question! Besides, if she has her way the next time you ask it you won’t like the answer.” Percy paled but Bill laughed and Harry blushed.

“You know, you’re going to have to conquer that embarrassment,” said Bill. He rose and clapped Harry on the shoulder as he made his way to the door. “You need to be able to look us in the eye, or we’ll know.” Harry shook his head as Bill opened the door to the hallway.

“If putting up with you lot doesn’t prove I’ll do anything for Ginny, what will?” muttered Harry mutinously. Bill chuckled as he stepped into the hallway.

“I’ll see you at home, Percy,” he said. “On Saturday, for your birthday, and we all understand one another now, don’t we?”

“I’ll try to be a little more … understanding of your relationship with Ginevra,” said Percy, addressing Harry.

“Do more than try, Perce,” Bill warned him and Percy nodded stiffly.

“I’d better get this information sorted out,” Percy said as he gathered up the scrolls Bill had brought. “I don’t know what we can do about it now, but this sort of error cannot be allowed to go unchecked.” He bent his head to his desk and Harry took that as his dismissal and turned to follow Bill but Percy stopped him.

“Harry, I - well, here, I’d like you to have this,” Percy said and he turned to one of the bookshelves lining his office and selected a book which he thrust at Harry who took it tentatively. He turned it over to read the title inscribed on the front. ‘Your Year as Head Boy and How to make the Most of It’ by Herbert Hornblest.

“Er, thanks, Percy,” Harry managed to say, attempting to look grateful. He assumed he succeeded as Percy seemed to sense nothing amiss.

“It was very useful to me, I assure you,” he said stiffly to Harry.

“Thank you,” Harry said, and he meant it. No matter how difficult Percy was to get along with, giving him this book meant he was making an effort. The fact that Harry had no intention of opening the book was neither here nor there.

****************

Harry spent the rest of the week helping Ron and George in the shop while Ginny helped her mother with various spring cleaning tasks at home. Part of him liked the routine that getting up in the morning and going to work afforded and it was a bit of a novelty to spend the day looking forward to being with Ginny but he had become accustomed to spending his days with her and he missed her terribly at first. Ginny had laughed at him and launched into a long winded recount of how her father used to greet her mother after a day at work. By paying particularly close attention to the freckles on her shoulder, Harry had been able to divert her attentions and Ginny had conceded that in fact being away from each other was a torture they should not soon replicate.

Although he spent his days waiting to see her again, Harry spent every evening with Ginny, taking long walks around the garden or curling up together in the oversized armchair by the fire. Harry listened to Ginny talk about going back to school. He had his own fears that he confided in her.

“Sometimes I think I’m a bit old to be going back to Hogwarts,” he said one evening, as they sat in front of a low fire that took the chill off the brisk evening air. “I should be out there, helping Kingsley. Percy said there are still followers of Voldemort out there.”

“Not Death Eaters,” asked Ginny in alarm. Harry felt her stiffen.

“No, they have all the known Death Eaters,” said Harry, stroking her arm softly in an effort to soothe her. “Just people who are mostly pretty ordinary except they believe in the Mudblood rubbish and want to keep up the fight.” He ran his hand up her arm and felt her body mould back into his.

“I suppose there will always be Dark Wizards, won’t there,” said Ginny idly, trailing a finger up his thigh. Harry tried to hold onto the thread of the conversation.

“Yeah, I suppose,” he breathed as he lowered his mouth to kiss her neck.

“And someone has to catch them,” Ginny added, beginning to draw little circles on his leg.

“They do,” Harry agreed, his mouth hovering over her ear.

“Someone like you,” Ginny said slowly as she trailed her fingers higher on his leg.

“Absolutely,” said Harry as he fastened his lips on hers. His fingers tangled in her hair and trailed down her back. Sitting as they were in the chair, facing one another with Ginny’s leg thrown over his, Harry found the route up Ginny’s thigh and around the delectable curve of her derriere quite easily. With his hand there he found he could pull Ginny closer to him as he kissed her. Sometimes it felt like he couldn’t get close enough to her, like he just wanted to crawl inside her body and only then would he be close enough to her.

With Ginny’s hands exploring his chest and back under his shirt and his hands pulling her closer, caressing her bum and tangling in her hair to gently pull her head back and expose her neck for him to feast on, Harry had quite forgotten where they were until Ron interrupted them.

“If this is what you get up to when I distract Hermione, maybe you should be packing for Hogwarts,” said Ron, standing in the doorway, a smirk on his lips as he watched Harry, blushing fit to rival any Weasley, rebutton his shirt.

“We need to pack eventually I guess,” said Ginny as she pretended to smooth Harry’s hair. Harry could feel her fingers gently massaging his scalp and knew her intent as not to groom him. He closed his eyes and leaned into her touch. “After we go shopping that is. I don’t know what you did to your cauldron and your scales are completely missing.”

“You really are packing his trunk for him,” marvelled Ron as he sat down on the couch opposite. Ginny scowled at him but Harry was secretly glad they had been interrupted. He didn’t know why but he didn’t want to talk about his future and with Ron there they would not soon return to that conversation. He knew it was coming however.

Was his career going to be an Auror like he had planned? He thought so, but he had no idea how Ginny would feel about it and he wanted too badly to hold onto the carefree remnants of summer to find out. As Ron and Ginny began a lively argument about the prospects of the Canons in the new Quidditch Season, Harry’s mind turned over and over, wondering whether or not he should become a full Auror or not.

Percy brought both welcome and unwelcome news to his birthday party. Harry had collected Teddy that afternoon, to finish his aborted visit and Molly had made a feast. The family, including Harry, Hermione and her parents and Penelope ate outside in the garden. After the main course had been devoured Percy rose and made a stiff and formal sounding announcement.

“I’d like to thank you all very deeply for being here today,” he said. “It really means a lot to me.”

“Means a whole bunch to us too!” shouted George from the other end of the table.

“Thank you, George,” continued Percy as if the interruption was welcome. “I just wanted to say that … well … I’m sorry I haven’t kept in touch and er, I know I’ve missed a lot but …”

“Yeah, you’re sorry and Harry was right and Ginny’s grown up, right?” called George. Bill hid his smile behind his serviette, Charlie grinned at his fork and Molly hissed at George to be quiet out of the corner of her mouth.

“I have been … wrong about a number of things,” Percy stumbled out, glaring at George before his eyes flickered to where Ginny was sitting, her head on Harry’s shoulder while he traced his fingers up and down her arm. “I just wanted to apologise for my, er, mistakes and I look forward to moving on from here as it were.”

“That sounds good,” said Ginny softly, straightening up a little. “I think moving on is a good thing to do right now.”

“Hear, hear!” called Ron. “It’s a good time to move on to cake!” Harry saw his eyes flicker to George and had a sudden suspicion that Ron was anticipating more than cake.

“Oh, of course,” muttered Molly as she leapt to her feet. “I’ll just go and get it.” Penelope jumped up to help and Ron sat back in his chair smiling smugly. Percy did not seem to notice but George was looking at Ron strangely. Harry thought he looked a little sad.

“What are you up to?” muttered Ginny, poking Ron in the arm.

“Nothing, nothing at all, are we George?” replied Ron with a grin. George shook his head and looked away, staring out over the darkening garden.

Molly soon bustled out with a large vanilla cake. Unlike the cakes she had made for Harry this one wasn’t shaped as anything interesting. It was a rather yellowish looking rectangle with a row of even white candles. Harry thought it suited Percy perfectly. The family began singing Happy Birthday, everyone singing at a different speed and pitch. Percy stood stoically during the entire performance although he seemed to be twitching just a little. Harry and Ron finished a entire minute after everyone else in the droning monotone they had affected throughout the whole thing and George sat up a little straighter, he glanced at Ron who looked back at him. Both of them wore silly grins.

Percy leaned over to blow out the candles but they wouldn’t go out. Percy frowned at them and tried again. Ginny giggled. Percy, getting out his wand, fixed George with a glare.

“Finite Incantatum,” he commanded rather officiously waving his wand over the candles before trying to blow them out again.

Nothing happened.

“I say, that’s a good bit of magic George,” said Arthur wonderingly but George looked at the candles suspiciously.

“It wasn’t me,” he frowned. “We were planning to turn his hair into fireworks when he blew them out but he probably just nixed that spell now. Ron? What did you do?”

“Nothing!” protested Ron. “Why are you blaming me? Maybe you did the spell wrong!” George sighed heavily and closed his eyes.

“Probably,” he said softly. Suddenly Hermione snorted. All eyes turned to her as she lost her battle with laughter.

“Hermione?” asked Ron wonderingly. “Was this you?” Hermione just smiled and shook her head.

“Well come on then Percy,” interjected Mr Granger suddenly. “Blow them out I’m sure it won’t take long just give it a good couple of blows.”

Percy tried to blow the candles out ineffectually. He was going red in the face and sweating but the candles stubbornly stayed lit.

“Do you think the candles are faulty, Molly?” asked Arthur as he tried to blow them out, Percy was looking a little green from hyperventilating.

“Well, how on earth do you make candles faulty?” Molly scoffed incredulously. “That is definitely some odd magic. Now which one of you charmed them after Hermione’s father brought them back?” She eyed her children in turn.

“Dad bought them?” asked Hermione, her eyes lighting up. Harry looked at Mr Granger, noting for the first time that the older man had a suspicious twinkle in his eyes. Mr Granger winked at him and Hermione doubled over with laughter and Harry suddenly knew what was going on. Ginny narrowed her eyes as Harry dissolved in laughter, he and Hermione looked at each other and burst into fresh peals of laughter.

One by one the wizards around the table tried to magically put out the candles. Percy even managed to land his wand in the cake where it wobbled precariously as Charlie inadvertently charmed the knife to dance across the table. Suddenly Ginny gasped. She rounded on Harry and Hermione who were now holding each other up and gasping weakly as Charlie danced out of the way of the knife, the candles still burning merrily on the cake.

“Alright,” she said. “How do Muggles make candles that don’t blow out?”

“Muggles?” echoed George, looking up from where he was trying to extract Percy’s wand from the cake.

“Muggles?” asked Arthur excitedly. He turned to Mr Granger. “You bought these in a Muggle shop?” Hermione’s father nodded, his eyes brimming with mirth.

“Muggle candles? They’re Muggle candles?” asked Ron rather stupidly.

“Amazing,” said Arthur incredulously as he began circling the cake and examining the candles as if he were an archaeologist inspecting a newly discovered ancient ruin. “This is brilliant! How do you turn them off?” Mr Granger reached over and pinched the tip of the candle between his fingers. The flame vanished, leaving a trail of smoke drifting up from the cake and several wizards staring at it in wonder. Harry and Hermione burst into a fresh round of laughter and Ginny began to chuckle.

Harry tried to control his laughter and looked up at Percy who was standing behind his cake, his icing covered wand now in his hand, his face illuminated by the remaining candles. The knife danced a tango in front of him, occasionally flicking into the cake and sending up little spatters of icing onto his previously impeccable pin striped robes. Arthur joined in the laughter and Bill and Charlie were grinning gleefully. Molly had pursed her lips but Harry thought it looked just like she was trying to prevent the laughter escaping.

“That’s brilliant!” Ron breathed. “That is totally cool, isn’t it George?” George nodded morosely and slipped out of his chair.

“No cake for me,” he said quietly and he padded softly across the garden. Ron didn’t notice as he began gleefully helping Mr Granger put the candles out and talking animatedly to him the whole time. Ginny squeezed Harry’s hand before letting go and slipping off into the darkness after George.

“Well, sir,” said Percy as the knife finally lay down, shuddering a little as if it were panting, exhausted, “that was a very good joke indeed. I say, well done.” Harry and Hermione finally got themselves under control and with a flick of Molly’s wand the exhausted knife began to cut the cake.

It took quite some time for everyone to get served because the knife, possibly protesting the abuse it had received, took it’s time slicing the cake. Ginny wasn’t back yet from talking to George and Fleur soon handed Harry a fussy Teddy.

“Oh ‘e ees too cute,” sighed Fleur wistfully as she watched Harry situate Teddy comfortably in his arms and begin to rock him.

“Which one,” asked Bill cheekily. “Harry or the baby?”

“Zey are both zee cutest,” she replied. “Look at ‘ow ‘Arry looks wiz zat leetle babe. Oh and zat little nose.” Teddy responded by elongating his nose sleepily until it stuck out rather like Snape’s had before he sighed, snuggling into Harry’s chest, the nose going back to normal.

It was after he had taken Teddy inside and put him in the cradle that Harry found an opportunity to pull Percy aside. He motioned to Ron with his head and Ron must have sensed Harry’s urgency and joined them.

“What’s going on with this trial stuff?” Harry asked in an undertone. “Are they going to do Malfoy’s again with the full statement this time? Have they searched the Manor yet?” George had materialised from the shadows at Ron’s elbow. Harry glanced over to see Ginny talking to Fleur. He rather thought they might have been talking about him if the way they both looked up at him and giggled was any indication. He felt his face heat up. He forced his mind back to Percy.

“Legally, it cannot be changed,” Percy was saying, shaking his head. “He’s being very altruistic into the bargain.”

“Smaller words, Perce, smaller words,” interjected George. Percy sighed heavily.

“He’s giving a lot of money to charities,” he said, glancing at George. “In particular the fund being set up to help orphans and other … victims of the war begin or resume Hogwarts.”

“Is that how he got onto the Board again?” asked Harry bitterly. “Throwing around his money, making himself look good; I bet he doesn’t care one thing about war orphans.”

“Yes, he definitely bought his way back onto the Board,” agreed Percy. “And his wealth has nothing to do with the war, he had it before. There’s not a lot the Ministry can do.”

“Surely someone can search the Manor,” spat Harry in exasperation. “There were people held prisoner there!”

“Kingsley’s been trying to set up the paperwork but it’s a mountain of red tape,” said Percy. “Even with additional statements, Malfoy’s solicitors are turning the whole thing into a screaming mess!” Harry tried very hard not to yell at Percy; for once it wasn’t his fault.

“Say Percy,” began Ron, “are there many kids who didn’t get to start Hogwarts last year, being Muggleborn and all?”

“I don’t know, Ron,” Percy shrugged. “I haven’t had a lot to do with that area but I imagine there are also a lot of students who missed a year like yourselves, on the run or in hiding.” Harry was suddenly reminded of the Dursleys. They’d been in hiding, he should go and see them maybe. Dudley had wanted to see him but he felt no such obligation to his Aunt and Uncle. There was only a week before school went back, he really should make the time.

He was jolted from his thoughts about visiting Dudley before he went back to school by Bill’s voice. Harry was startled, he hadn’t noticed him join them or Charlie sit next to him.

“Gringotts has been trying to sort out money that was abandoned by Muggleborns during the war,” he said. “Well I wouldn’t say abandoned so much as forcibly given up. But yeah, there are a lot of starting students this year, they keep traipsing into the bank, changing Muggle money or trying to re establish a connection with the bank.”

“There does seem an awful lot of titchy midget types this year,” added Ron. “They come in the shop with their big wide eyes as if they haven’t seen magic for a year!”

“Well, probably some of them haven’t, Ron,” added Charlie. “Big job for the Head Girl and Boy this year.” He elbowed Harry in the ribs and Harry just shoved him back.

“Some people are still being educated at home but I heard that now the war is over that some students who weren’t sent in the last two to three years may be sent to Hogwarts now,” added Percy, ignoring the horseplay.

“What’s the big deal about the last couple of years?” asked Ron.

“Harry was a nutter,” said George as he plucked grapes from the bunch in his hand and threw them in the air trying to catch them in his mouth. “Then he was right, then he was on the run and the bad guys were in-” George began choking on a grape.

“That’s a brilliant assessment,” said Harry dryly as Ron pounded George on the back. “It makes me sound so stable and reliable.”

“We don’t love you for your stability, mate,” said Charlie, ruffling his hair.

“Geroffame,” Harry growled, batting Charlie’s hand away.

“He’s such an easy target,” said Charlie, laughing. Harry just scowled at him and tried to flatten his hair.

“When are you going home again?” he asked pointedly. Bill roared with laughter.

“It’s my job to tease you,” answered Charlie with a grin. “It’s what older brothers do.”

“I am starting to see the value in being an only child,” muttered Harry.

“Oh Harry, you don’t mean that,” said Hermione from his elbow, shaking her head solemnly. Harry smiled and shook his head; he didn’t mean it in the slightest. He liked nothing better than being part of a large loving family.

“No, Harry likes everybody’s nose in his business,” said George, reaching for another piece of cake.

“Yes, that’s been a highlight,” said Harry dryly.

“Who’s in Harry’s business?” asked Ginny sharply. Harry whirled around, startled, he hadn’t known she was approaching.

“Only you, little sister,” answered George. He stood up and grabbed Ginny, dancing her around the lawn in a waltz as a new song came over the WWN. “The rest of us just stay right out of it.”

“Really?” asked Ginny sceptically.

“Merlin’s honour,” replied George solemnly. “So, could you spill a few of his secrets? We need something on him.” Ginny laughed as George continued to waltz her speedily around the lawn to the fast number currently playing from the wireless.

*****************

The next week was very busy. After Teddy went back to Andromeda on Monday, Harry found himself caught up in the preparations for returning to Hogwarts. He and Ginny had not returned to the conversation that was sure to lead to discussion on his career but by the end of the week Harry was feeling easier about his decision to return to Hogwarts. He wasn’t sure everyone would have made the same choice in his position and he was a little nervous. He knew he could not remain as shielded at Hogwarts as he had once done although the temptation was there to try and use it a shield. Harry was also unsure if he would be able to live within the confines of the school now. He was older, he had spent the last year most definitely not in school and the adjustment was probably going to be hard. He was torn between wanting to start his life as an adult and being with Ginny.

It was Ron who helped him settle his feelings about going back to Hogwarts. Late one evening Ron walked in on Harry giving Ginny a goodnight kiss in their room and had made disgusting gagging noises until Ginny left the room after throwing a pillow at his head.

“You and my sister are about the soppiest couple I have ever met,” Ron started as he flopped onto his bed. “Anyone would think you were about to be separated for a year the way you two carry on every night.”

“I don’t think we could be separated for a year,” said Harry as he lay on his own bed, staring at the ceiling. “Sometimes I wonder if the only reason I’m going back to Hogwarts is to avoid that, because I don’t want to face it.”

“Yeah it’s not anything to look forward to,” sighed Ron heavily. Harry looked over at his best mate who looked rather melancholy.

“Sorry mate,” he said quietly. “I sort of forgot …”

“S’okay,” Ron made a shrugging motion. “If me and Hermione’d just been separated for a year I might think differently about it.”

“Do you think it’s going to be hard?” asked Harry, turning on his side and propping his head up on his arm.

“Yeah,” answered Ron. “It’s going to be awful. I’m going to miss her so much.”

“Do you wish you were coming back?”

“Some days I do,” sighed Ron. “But it wouldn’t be the right decision for me.”

“Do you think it’s the right decision for me?” asked Harry, flopping onto his back once more. “What if I’m only going back so I don’t have to be separated from Ginny?”

“Maybe that’s a good enough reason for you,” said Ron simply as he sat up and swung his legs over the side of the bed. “Hermione’s not Ginny, she doesn’t need me the same. I reckon Ginny needs you.”

“She’s strong,” said Harry.

“I know,” agreed Ron. “But even strong people need other people. It’s not just Ginny either. You need her.”

“What makes you say that?”

“You’re happiest with her,” Ron said as he pulled his shoes off and peeled down his socks. He paused and looked up at Harry seriously. “When you got together with Ginny you looked … different. Like nothing could bother you. I didn’t realise it was her that made you look that way until she wasn’t there anymore.” Ron balled his socks up and threw them into a corner that may or may not have contained other dirty items of clothing.

“And that’s a good enough reason?” clarified Harry.

“It is,” insisted Ron, his voice muffled as he pulled a pyjama top over his head. “She needs you and you will worry about her if you are not with her. I didn’t imagine how much you missed her last year. I’m not that stupid.” Ron struggled with the sleeves of the top.

“But what about all the stuff I could be doing-”

“Is anything more important than Ginny?” asked Ron. Harry sat up and stared at Ron.

“Nothing,” he said seriously. “Nothing is more important than Ginny.”

“And anything that’s important enough will still be there when you finish,” Ron said urgently. “George needs me more than Hermione right now, but no one else needs you as much as Ginny does. They might try and say they do, but that’s where you belong; with her. I know I said you were soppy … but I wouldn’t want you to be anything else.” Ron shrugged.

“We’re going to miss you,” Harry said.

“Oh you won’t have time to,” scoffed Ron as he scooted underneath the coverlet. “You’ll spend all your time looking for hidden spots to snog in. Oh there’s this one spot, behind the statue of the troll on the fifth floor, it’s got a camouflaged door but if you wave your hand over the wall three times you can see it. There’s a little room in there, perfect for snogging, or a bit more, if you know what I mean.”

“I can’t believe you just told me to … do a bit more with your sister!” exclaimed Harry. Ron looked sheepish.

“George is running a book,” he confessed. “I’ve got two Galleons on before Halloween.”

“I … well oh that’s just …” Harry stopped, speechless. “I’m going to the loo.” He turned to leave.

“Honestly Harry,” said Ron. “You could do anything with your life right now but if making yourself happy isn’t a good enough reason to go back to school, I don’t know what is.” Harry smiled slightly.

“Making Ginny happy.”

***********************

Th e Burrow became a hive of activity as Molly mended socks and hemmed robes. Harry put off going to see Dudley until it was too late to do anything about it. He promised himself he’d send him a Christmas card. While her parents, assisted by Molly arranged most of Hermione’s new school things, Hermione was frantically collecting together all her books. One day at breakfast she startled Harry and Ron by dashing into the kitchen and slamming her tiny beaded bag on the table.

“How could I be so stupid?” she exclaimed, frantically scrabbling at the clasp on the bag. “I’ve been looking for half my books for three days. I would like to know how I forgot they were in here?” She yanked the bag open and thrust her arm inside. Soon she had extracted books, clothing and other small items, heaping them carelessly on the table in a haphazard pile. As Hermione pulled a large picture frame from the bag, Ron dived to catch a small book that had been knocked from the pile on the table.

“I guess you haven’t given your books much thought lately,” said Ron, eyeing the old and somewhat tattered copy of The Tales of Beadle the Bard he held in his hands.

“Well you’ve kept me rather otherwise engaged Ron,” said Hermione absently as she waved her wand at what appeared to be an empty picture frame. Harry realised it was the frame from Grimmauld Place that hung in the bedroom he and Ron had shared. Hermione had removed the blindfold spell but Phineas Nigellus was nowhere to be seen. Ron put the book back on the table and stood up to slide his arms around Hermione’s waist.

“Well, what say we get engaged in something else right now and forget these musty old books,” he said, bending to nuzzle her neck.

“Ugh, not in front of me,” George said as he came into the kitchen and slid into a chair at the table.

“Ron,” Hermione protested weakly, “I really need to sort out my things for Hogwarts.”

“There’s loads of time,” Ron said, running a hand up her back. “Several days in fact; Harry hasn’t even started packing yet.” Hermione looked disapprovingly at Harry who attempted to avoid her gaze.

“Could it be that young Harry here has been engaged in other activities also?” George asked. Harry took a piece of toast and headed for the door to the hallway before he answered.

“It could be that Ginny has started to pack Harry’s trunk for him so that he has time for other activities,” he called as he darted out the door and took the steps two at a time up to Ginny’s bedroom. He and Ginny were going to the Ministry for Ginny’s Apparition test after which they were heading on to Diagon Alley to do some shopping for Hogwarts and Harry was looking forward to the two of them having a day out. Ginny had been quieter than usual lately but was slowly returning to her normal disposition. Harry hoped a day out would brighten her even more.

Harry absently pushed open the door to her room without knocking and was startled to see Ginny standing in the middle of her room, surveying her bed, which was covered in clothes, something she was wearing very little of.

“Oh, sorry,” murmured Harry as his eyes travelled up her body, taking in all her curves.

“You don’t look very sorry,” said Ginny, turning to him, her hands on her hips but she was smiling. Harry had the grace to blush. He took a step backwards.

“I’ll just, er, wait outside,” his eyes lingered on her and she shrugged as she turned back to stare at her bed.

“You can wait in here,” she said as she bent over to rearrange the clothes. “I daresay the scenery is better in here than on the landing.” Harry could only agree with that assessment as he watched her choosing her clothes for the day. He marvelled at the care that went into the decision. At least ten items of clothing were strewn across her bed, several still on hangers. Three pairs of shoes were lined up in front of her and as he watched she held up and discarded several items, comparing them with and matching them to other items.

Ginny peered out the window and then looked back at the bed. This action seemed to help her decide something because she sent four of the items back to her wardrobe with a flick of her wand. Then she held up one of the pairs of shoes to a pair of trousers before shaking her head and sending both items back to the wardrobe. She stood back, head tilted to the side, hands on hips, her eyes flickering over the remaining clothes on her bed.

Ginny picked up a green blouse and a brown skirt. She held it up to herself, eyeing the combination before discarding the green blouse and reaching for a white cardigan. Ginny peered out of the window once more before selecting a pair of sandals. Harry watched her body move as she made her final selections; it was doing crazy things to his insides.

“You know,” said Harry conversationally, trying to keep his voice even, “I just pull out a pair of jeans, check to see if the t shirt on top of the pile is clean and grab my trainers.”

“Yes, well, you’re a boy,” muttered Ginny, searching a small box on her dressing table.

“You are definitely not a boy,” Harry said, crossing the room and sliding his arms around her waist, unable to stop himself any longer. Her skin was soft and warm under his fingers as he ran his hands across her exposed belly. He bent his head to drop a kiss on her shoulder before Ginny turned in his grasp.

“I bet you’re glad about that then?” she asked with a grin. Harry nodded, his fingers ghosting up her back.

“So very glad,” was all he managed to say before he gave in to his impulse to kiss her. Ginny responded eagerly and Harry dragged Ginny down onto her bed with him. He ignored her protests that he was sitting on her clothes and dragged her into his lap. He trailed kisses down her neck and tangled his fingers in her hair and Ginny’s protests about crumpling her clothes died on her lips just before Harry covered them with his own.

The sensation of Ginny’s skin under his fingertips was intoxicating. Never before had he been able to roam over so much of her exposed flesh unencumbered. Her familiar curves were more enticing, unconcealed by clothing and it was if his mind stopped and his hands took over, sliding under the remaining thin fabric, his fingers trying to rid her body of the flimsy garments she still wore. Ginny gasped and murmured against his lips.

“Harry, stop,” she moaned softly. Harry pulled back a little and looked at her questioningly.

“What’s wrong?” he asked her quietly. Ginny bit her lip and dropped her hands from around his neck, smoothing his shirt across the shoulders and pulling his hands into hers. She looked down at their clasped hands.

“I want to wait,” she whispered so softly Harry could barely hear her. “I-I’m not ready for this. I’ve been talking to Mum a bit about it … you know, when to … and you were right, I was just trying to escape my thoughts. I’m only seventeen and it’s a big step. I—I can’t. I just … I’m sorry.”

Harry squeezed her hands because she still wasn’t looking at him. Ginny raised her head and Harry pressed a kiss to her forehead.

“No need to be sorry,” he said. Harry stood up, pulling Ginny with him. “I’ll wait downstairs.” Harry slipped out the door, closing it behind him. He let out a sigh and leaned his head against the smooth wood. Although he had no hesitation taking Ginny’s lead, he had to admit that he wouldn’t have been sorry if they’d taken the next step right then. Slowly, he made his way down the stairs and back to the kitchen. Molly was busy with some pots and pans; Ron and Hermione were gone. George looked at him as he slid back into his seat and moodily buttered a piece of toast.

“What’s up with you?” George asked.

“Nothing,” said Harry, trying to act nonchalant.

“Rubbish,” scoffed George. “You’re all grumpy and you look like you’ve just missed out on a lottery.” Harry shifted uncomfortably in his seat as he chewed his toast.

“I’m fine,” he insisted. Molly turned from her place near the sink, abandoning the pan she was scrubbing.

“You do look a bit flushed dear, are you sure you’re alright?” she asked, looking at him concernedly. Harry avoided her gaze by scooping more scrambled eggs onto his plate. He wasn’t hungry but he was desperate for something to occupy himself.

“I’m fine, really,” he tried to assure Molly, who eyed him carefully.

“Very well,” she said eventually, peering out the window. “Where is Arthur with those eggs? I’ll need them if I’m to do any baking today.” She wiped her hands on her apron and untied it, hanging it on a hook near the back door.

“I know!” cried George suddenly. “You look like you’ve been turned down! I’ve seen that look before.” He nodded sagely. Harry flushed a brilliant shade of red. Molly turned to look at him, her hand on the doorknob. Harry became intensely fixated on the tabletop. Molly didn’t say anything but slipped quietly out the door.

“George!” hissed Harry. “Do you mind?” George just grinned at him.

“She won’t hold out forever,” was all he said. “Patience is a virtue in matters of this, er … delicate nature.”

“Shut up,” Harry whispered frantically, certain Molly would be back at any moment to tear him limb from limb for even thinking of her daughter in that way.

“Why Harry, I am just trying to give you the benefit of my vast experience,” George said loftily. “Keeping it to myself would be doing a great disservice to you.”

“Oh really?” asked Harry sceptically. “Vast experience? When exactly do you have your two Galleons on? Just do me a favour, stay out of my sex life!” At that moment Arthur , who was carrying a basket of eggs, opened the door and strode into the kitchen, his wife on his heels.

“That’s very good advice for all of us,” was all Arthur said as he put the eggs on one of the sideboards and sat down at the table. Harry, completely mortified and turning a fetching shade of red, if the warmth flooding his face was anything to go by, murmured something entirely unintelligible and bolted from the kitchen. He couldn’t be sure but he could almost swear he heard laughter floating up the stairs after him.

Harry wasn’t watching where he was going and bumped into Ginny on the second landing.

“Where are you going?” she asked him. “I thought you were going to wait downstairs?”

“Oh, well, your father walked into the kitchen while I was telling George to keep his nose out of our sex life,” whispered Harry. Ginny blanched.

“Oh, that would have been a bit embarrassing,” she muttered.

“A bit?” he asked incredulously. “Try a lot! I know me and Dad had a conversation about … things, but, well, I still don’t want to be put on the spot like that. Did you know George is running a book on … well, you know … when?” Ginny looked at him as she reached for his hand.

“I’m sorry,” she said. Harry looked at her in confusion.

“What for?”

“Well, that this whole … situation has become a matter for speculation,” she apologised. “It’s not something that should be up for discussion with anyone else at all.” Harry shrugged.

“Not much we can do about it now,” he said. “Let’s go into Diagon Alley. I’ll buy you an ice cream.” He tugged on her hand as he headed back down the stairs. Ginny was looking thoughtfully at him and reached up and kissed him on the cheek.

“You are awfully tolerant of my family,” she said.

“They’re the only one I’ve got,” said Harry simply. “Come on.”

********************

Harry had been in Diagon Alley every day that week but he usually Apparated directly to the shop and stayed there. It had been reported that Harry Potter was working at Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes, so finding him wasn’t hard but so far people had been respectful and although they’d come to stare, Number Ninety Two Diagon Alley was almost a haven. Possibly it was the influence of the makeshift shrine at the end of the counter that made people stop and think. The picture of the twins at Bill’s wedding stood next to the chipped plaster statue of Fred from the Quidditch game they had played at Hogwarts in the week after the war and George had draped Fred’s Gryffindor scarf over them both. In any case, within Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes Harry Potter was stared at reverentially but nothing more.

Harry found that actually walking around Diagon Alley was a vastly different experience. Florean Fortescue insisted on talking to him for several long minutes and by the time he left the ice cream parlour there was a crowd outside that took half an hour to get through. Ginny’s hand never left his own but his remaining hand was caught up in handshakes and he was kept busy acknowledging all those who fervently offered their thanks to him. He had just reached the opposite footpath and, undecided whether to buy owl treats or robes first, he leant down to consult with Ginny. Harry brushed the hair out of her face and as his fingers caressed her cheek he realised she was trembling.

“What’s wrong?” he whispered to her, squeezing her hand. Ginny shook her head wordlessly and Harry pulled her closer, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. “Too many people huh? Let’s go find somewhere … quieter.”

“No, I don’t care how many people,” whispered Ginny furiously. “I just wish they’d leave you alone.” It was then that Harry realised she was not trembling with fear, but with anger.

Putting his head down and pulling Ginny close Harry headed for Madam Malkin’s but he had only taken a couple of steps when he was blinded by a camera flash and halted by a pair of bright red high heels. His heart sank and he groaned.

“How lovely to see you, Harry,” Rita Skeeter purred seductively, her jewelled glasses glinted as she tilted her head to one side in an obvious attempt to be coy. It looked ridiculous on a woman of her age and Harry fought the urge to laugh.

“I’m afraid I haven’t any time right now,” Harry muttered. “Now, if you’ll excuse me.” He made to push his way past the reporter but she held her ground infuriatingly.

“Still with Miss Weasley I see?” said Rita Skeeter, a smirk on her lips. “Are you getting sufficient … recompense for your attentions?” Harry glowered at her as he caught sight of her Quick Quotes Quill hovering slightly behind her left ear and the camera flashed again.

“No comment,” he said through gritted teeth.

“How is Miss Granger taking all of this?” pressed Rita. “I mean you practically left her at the altar for this …” She looked at Ginny disdainfully and Harry felt the beginnings of a headache pounding at the base of his skull and moving up his head to throb behind his ears. He wasn’t prepared for this, had not expected it and had not a clue what to say.

“Leave him alone,” he suddenly heard Ginny grind out from between clenched teeth. He watched as Ginny drew herself up to her full height and advanced on the older woman. “Just. Leave. Him. Alone.”

Rita Skeeter looked for a moment at Ginny before she flicked her wand at her floating Quick Quotes Quill, summoning it back to her bag. She jerked a thumb at her photographer and gave Ginny one last final glance before she stalked off down Diagon Alley, her heels clicking on the cobbled pavement.

Ginny’s words seemed to have an effect on the entire crowd and it was as if they took her words to heart and parted slightly to let him and Ginny squeeze through and finish the rest of their shopping. The only problem they encountered the rest of that day were a few giggling girls who seemed to be following them. Ginny fixed them with an icy stare and once they left Quality Quidditch Supplies Harry didn’t see them again.

Harry still felt like he was being watched but every time he looked up at anyone they looked away. Ginny, however was looking straight ahead and seemed to be holding the gaze of several people. Harry grinned as he sensed the protective aura that bristled from Ginny as they wandered around Diagon Alley and he fell in love with her just a little bit more.

*****************

Harry, Hermione and the Weasleys arrived at Kings Cross shortly after half past ten on the morning of September First. Kingsley had sent ministry cars and no mishaps had befallen them as they prepared to go back to school. Harry felt a strange jolt, like a half forgotten memory, as he looked up at the ceiling of the station and he felt a pang of sorrow mingled with lingering peace as he remembered his experience with Dumbledore in the realm that was not quite death.

Ginny looked a little pale and she clutched Harry’s hand a little tighter as they approached the wall between Platforms nine and ten. Ron and George had accompanied them and Harry noticed Hermione clung a little closer to Ron than she usually did. Charlie was going back to Romania later that morning, having been convinced to extend his holiday long enough to see them off to Hogwarts. He and George amused themselves by spotting wizards among the crowd of Muggles. Just as they were about to file through onto the Platform one by one Bill and Fleur came rushing towards them.

“Oh good, we caught you,” said Bill, slightly out of breath. “Is Percy here yet?”

“Percy?” asked Ginny. “Are you all coming this morning?”

“Sure are, squirt,” said Charlie, pulling her into a hug. “Special treat for our favourite girl.” Ginny smiled.

“Not all of us,” George said suddenly, looking forlorn. Ginny threw herself at him and engulfed him in a hug.

“Oh, George,” she murmured into his shoulder. George pulled her close.

“I’m sorry he couldn’t be here,” he apologised. “I’m sorry Fred couldn’t come and see you off on your last year at Hogwarts.” A lone tear rolled down George’s cheek. Ginny wiped it away with her sleeve.

“He’s here,” she whispered, barely loud enough for Harry to hear. “I can feel him.” George smiled tearfully at her.

“I know,” he replied. “But it’s not the same.” Ginny shook her head.

“I know it’s not,” Ginny said softly. She cleared her throat. “Let’s go through.” George nodded resolutely and he let Ginny go and he headed for the wall along with Bill, Fleur and his parents.

“I’ll just go through the Muggle way with Mum and Dad,” said Hermione. “I’ll meet you on the Platform.” She and her parents hurried off to a small, deserted ticket office a short distance away.

“I didn’t know there was a Muggle way,” said Harry, amazed again at how much he still didn’t know about the wizarding world.

“Of course there is,” said a voice behind him. “There would have to be wouldn’t there or every Muggle who leans against the wall would fall through.” Harry turned to see a tall blond boy eyeing him disdainfully. There was a shorter boy standing next to him and a short mousy woman behind him.

“Really Gerald,” the woman protested. “There’s no need to be so rude.”

“Well, mother, perhaps you should go the Muggle way,” answered Gerald. “I’m sure I can figure out a simple thing like getting onto a train platform.”

“We’ll show you,” said Ron good naturedly. “These two are going to Hogwarts too. I can show you the Muggle entrance if you like?”

“Oh no, no. I’ll say goodbye here,” the woman said. “I’m not sure I want to get all caught up in that magic stuff.”

“Really, mother if it is such a trial for you, why are you sending us both to Hogwarts?” asked Gerald pointedly. “I know I would much rather continue my education at home as I have experienced these past three years.”

“You know that isn’t possible now,” uttered the woman in a pained tone. The smaller boy bounced impatiently on his toes.

“Oh come on Gerald, it’ll be fun!” he exclaimed. “I heard there’s a giant there and you have to wrestle a troll and you get to sleep in a tower!”

“Gilbert, I don’t care if I get to sleep on a bed of roses, I don’t want to go,” Gerald sniffed. “Mother, I do wish you’d reconsider. How do we know it’s safe now anyway? Because some little man came along and convinced you?”

“It’s got nothing to do with that professor person!” cried Gilbert. “He said that Harry Potter bloke fixed things, didn’t he Mum? All those reasons Dad didn’t let you go before are fixed now, so we can go! I got my letter this year! I’m not missing Hogwarts because you have a thing against little people!”

“Maybe Hagrid should have been sent to this lot?” Ron muttered under his breath to Harry who stifled a snort.

“Oh great, you little pipsqueak, now you’ve made her cry,” Gerald hissed at his younger brother. “I told you not to mention Dad!” Their mother was crying in earnest and Ginny hurried over to the woman.

“What happened to your dad?” asked Ron.

“Went to work one day and never came back,” said Gilbert simply. “He worked at that Ministry place. Never came home one day. Some little bloke in a purple top hat came and made us go into hiding, said it was on account of there being a war on. I dunno, I never saw no fighting or nothing.” The small boy shrugged.

“Father had kept his job at The Ministry, despite the dangers,” Gerald interjected. “It was rather foolish of him in light of the fact that he curtailed my attendance at Hogwarts because of those very dangers, starting with that Harry Potter fellow.”

“Dad reckoned he was seein’ things,” said Gilbert in a low voice. “Changed his mind about a year later, but still wouldn’t let Gerald go to school. He’s been taught at home, but now we’re going to Hogwarts.”

“So, your dad kept you home on account of Harry Potter being supposedly off his rocker?” asked Ron pointedly, glancing sideways at Harry as he spoke to Gerald.

“Oh yes,” replied Gerald officiously as his mother blew his nose loudly on a handkerchief Ginny offered her. “I got my Hogwarts letter three years ago, but it was just too risky for me to go. Apparently, so they say, he turned out not to be crazy, but Dad said there was a war on by then so he taught me at home, in the evenings.”

“His education’s woefully behind,” interjected Gilbert gleefully. Gerald slugged him on the shoulder.

“You don’t know that,” he muttered angrily. “I am a very bright young man.”

“Blimey, this one’d get along well with Perce,” muttered Ron.

“So, we’re going to Hogwarts now,” continued Gilbert, bouncing on the balls of his feet. “Mum says we need to go cause she can’t teach us no magic. She’s Muggle, you know. I’m so excited, I thought I was gonna miss out on Hogwarts, but I get to go and learn how to fly a broomstick and to play Quidditch and make potions and all that stuff. I went and got my own wand and everything! And you know what else?” The boy lowered his voice to a conspiratorial whisper.

“What?” asked Ron in an equally conspiratorial tone.

“I heard that Harry Potter was going too,” said Gilbert, looking around furtively. “That will be so cool.” Gerald sniffed disdainfully.

“Overblown tripe,” he stated definitively. “As if he ended an entire war, he’s only seventeen.”

“Eighteen,” uttered Harry automatically.

“You take that back!” said Gilbert through gritted teeth as he turned on his older brother. “He did, I read that bit of newspaper and you don’t know what you are talking about!”

“Stop it both of you,” scolded their mother suddenly. “You both know as much as each other and scrapping about who has the better opinion isn’t the way to go, now come and say goodbye to your old mum and don’t forget to send me one of those eagles when you get there safely.”

“Owls, mother,” said Gerald. “Owls carry letters, not eagles.”

“Bird, same as the other,” said the woman dismissively. “Now, Gerald Chumley, you look after your little brother, do you hear me?” Gerald nodded stiffly. Mrs Chumley turned to her younger son and attempted to smooth his hair.

“I’ll write as soon as I get there, Mum,” Gilbert said excitedly. “I’ll tell you what House I got sorted into and whether or not you have to take a test like he says you do because he isn’t right about everything. Just like he’s not right about Harry Potter!”

“How do you know he’s six foot tall?” sniffed Gerald. Harry looked at Ron ruefully as the latter tried not to burst out laughing.

“Of course he’s tall!” cried Gilbert indignantly. “All heroes are tall! Is Superman short? Batman’s not a midget!”

“Boys! That’s enough!” Mrs Chumley cried. “Now these nice young people are going to Hogwarts too and they will show you how to get onto the Platform, I’ll see you at Christmas.” The two boys hugged their mother goodbye.

“Here Ginny, you show ‘em how it’s done,” said Ron, taking hold of the boys’ trolley. Ginny smiled at Gilbert and offered him her hand.

“Just walk straight at the wall here,” she said. “Mum always said do it at a bit of a run if you’re nervous.” Gilbert looked suddenly nervous. He looked back at his mother uncertainly who tried to nod encouragingly at him.

“Er, well, perhaps we don’t need to go at all,” Gilbert said backing away a little. Ginny smiled a little mischievously at him and leaned close.

“If you come through with me we can go and find Harry Potter, I’ll introduce you,” she said in a loud whisper.

“Do you know him?” asked Gilbert, his eyes as wide as saucers. Ginny nodded, the hint of a smirk twitching at the corners of her mouth.

“I bet it’s just a rumour that he’s going,” said Gerald rolling his eyes. “And I bet she doesn’t even know him. If you’re not going through that wall Gilbert, I will.” With that Gerald walked purposefully to the wall, hesitated only a moment before closing his eyes and walking forward. Gilbert gasped.

“Cool,” he breathed, grabbing Ginny’s still outstretched hand and tugging her towards the barrier. “Come on, I don’t care what he says, if you say you know Harry Potter, then I reckon you do.” Gilbert waved at his mother as he and Ginny stepped through the barrier and disappeared from sight.

“Come on mate,” said Ron, still pushing the other boys’ trolley. He turned to Mrs Chumley. “We’ll see them on the train for you and Harry here will make sure they write home tonight.”

“Harry?” Mrs Chumley’s eyes went wide. “Are you … Harry Potter?”

“Yeah he is,” said Ron, chuckling. “I can’t wait to see the look on those boys’ faces when they find out!” Mrs Chumley smiled slightly but her face was worn and tired.

“I just … it’s hard without their father. I don’t know what happened to him and it’s been very hard on them,” she said. “I do hope I’m doing the right thing. That Flitwick man … oh I’m worrying too much, they are sensible boys.” She stopped abruptly, still looking worried.

“Don’t worry,” said Harry quietly. “Hogwarts is a very safe place, they’ll be fine.”

“You’ll look after my boys?” Mrs Chumley suddenly asked fearfully. Harry swallowed and nodded.

“Sure,” he said, feeling an obligation to the fatherless boys.

“Thank you,” she whispered. She looked longingly at the wall before melting into the crowd. Harry Stared after her, lost in thought. He was woken from his reverie by an elbow to the ribs.

“Come on mate,” Ron urged. “You don’t wanna miss the train.” Harry grasped the handle of his trolley, nodded slightly and he and Ron headed for the wall between platform nine and three quarters.

The two of them emerged into the mist that surrounded the platform, rolling off the brilliant red steam train. Gerald and Gilbert had not gone far and were still staring in awe at the Hogwarts Express.

“Wow,” said Gilbert as the mist cleared a little and they could see the people on the platform bustling about stowing trunks and cages, waving cheery goodbyes to family and exchanging hugs and kisses. Harry watched as he saw classmates greet each other and first years stare up in wonder at the brilliant red engine as their parents smoothed their hair and delivered what were obviously lectures on staying safe, eating their vegetables and writing home.

He felt a pang that he had never had his parents there to do that for him but as his eyes swept the platform and he saw Molly and Arthur chatting with Dean and Seamus’s parents. Molly and Arthur had been there for him and there were now and he felt a rush of warmth and affection for them. As if she felt his eyes on her Molly looked up at him and smiled before returning to her conversation.

Hermione had donned her Hogwarts Robes, her Head Girl badge was gleaming on her chest. Harry saw Neville’s grandmother emerge from the mist near the end of the train, her vulture hat bobbing precariously. Neville trailed after her, clutching Trevor. He looked up at Harry, his face brightened and he waved.

“Hi!” he shouted and Ron and Harry each raised a hand in greeting. Hermione and Neville both began hurrying towards them just as Dean and Seamus hung out of one of the windows near the front of the train and began waving madly.

“Hiya!” Dean called out and suddenly Harry realised people were being to turn and stare at them. He reached unconsciously for Ginny’s hand and held it tightly. She squeezed back.

“This is brilliant!” exclaimed Gilbert while Gerald sniffed disdainfully.

“Why aren’t you in your robes?” Hermione demanded shrilly of Harry as she reached them. “You’ve got to set an example!”

“Calm down, Hermione,” said Ron, winding his arms around her and pulling her close. Harry saw a measure of desperation in Ron’s embrace that he hadn’t noticed before and as he watched Hermione smile softly as Ron whispered something in her ear, he felt a sudden ache in his own heart at being away from Ron.

“He’s got ages to get changed and get out his shiny new badge,” continued Ron. “It’ll be fine.”

“Well it is best he starts off on the right foot,” said a new voice directly behind them and Percy strode towards Ginny, giving her a perfunctory kiss on the cheek and extending a hand to shake Ron’s. “Do have a good year at Hogwarts Ginevra. I am very pleased I was able to make it this morning.”

“Have you met young Gerald?” deadpanned Ron, indicating the blond boy standing a few feet away, trying not to look excited by the Hogwarts Express and the hustle and bustle. Percy shook Gerald’s hand and they commenced a conversation immediately. Harry caught Ginny’s eye and jerked his head imperceptibly towards Percy and Gerald and she smirked. The group began to move away from the barrier slowly and Molly looked up.

“Percy Weasley! There you are!” she exclaimed loudly. “I thought you weren’t going to make it to see Ginny off!” She bustled over to them, fussing over Percy and greeting Gilbert and Gerald warmly. Anyone who had not been staring at them now began doing so and Harry felt his face heat as the platform fell almost eerily silent.

“Why are they all staring?” asked Gilbert anxiously into the silence.

“Don’t let it worry you,” said Ron. “It’s me. I’m extremely famous.” Harry caught Ginny’s eye and the two of them grinned at each other.

Ron!” exclaimed Hermione. Gilbert was looking at Ron with wide eyes.

“Are you really?” he said, bouncing a little on his toes. “What’dya do? Did’ya fight a dragon? Or maybe a troll, or a werewolf?” Harry stifled a chuckle.

“No, not all of them,” said Ron seriously. “At least not all together.” Gilbert’s eyes grew wider, the first year was clearly impressed.

“You have fought a dragon?” he breathed.

“Don’t be ridiculous, Gilbert,” sniffed Gerald impatiently. “No one fights dragons. No one who’s sane goes near dragons.”

“Hands up if you’ve been near a dragon!” said George cheerfully. Harry, Hermione and Ron looked at each other and burst out laughing and Charlie snorted while slapping Bill on the back.

“Been near a dragon, Bill?” he chortled.

“It was chained up in the bank when I went near it,” protested Bill. “I’m not the fool who does it on purpose Mr Dragon Handler.” Gilbert turned to Charlie.

“You’re a dragon handler?” he asked, his little face tilted to take in the older man. Charlie nodded and Gilbert turned to his older brother. “See, people do go near dragons. You don’t know everything!”

“Alright, alright everyone,” broke in Molly, a smile on her face. “It’s time to get on the train before you miss it. Bill, Charlie, put the trunks on the train. Now off you two go, go and find a carriage. Have a good time!” She waved Gilbert and Gerald off as they still argued about dragons. Molly’s smile had turned a little tearful as she looked at Ginny. George had engulfed her in a big hug and Ron was clinging to Hermione. It was as if Molly saw no option left and she swooped on Harry and pulled him into an embrace.

“Oh, do be careful dear,” she said.

“If I get into trouble this year,” started Harry as he pulled out of her embrace and shook Arthur’s hand, “then there is something seriously wrong with me!”

“Just don’t go looking for trouble,” Molly said firmly as she straightened his jumper, fussing over him as if he were one of her own sons.

“I won’t,” Harry smiled at her softly. She patted his cheek and turned to Hermione who was looking very teary. Harry looked up at Ron.

“Seeya, mate,” he almost whispered. It was unbelievable, they all knew this moment was coming; they had for months but now that the moment was here there was something surreal about it. As if it wasn’t really happening as if they’d never really understood that it would. Molly released Hermione and began fussing over Ginny as Bill and Charlie wandered back over to say their goodbyes. It was as if everything else existed outside the three of them.

“You’ll write, won’t you,” Hermione asked Ron.

“Every day,” Ron said with such solemnity that Harry rolled his eyes.

“Sure, Ron.”

“I’m going to miss both of you,” Ron said quietly and then he hugged Harry, who was not as surprised he once would have been.

“We’ll miss you too,” Harry answered for them both.

“Look after my girl,” said Ron as Hermione burrowed her way between the two of them, winding her arms around Ron’s neck as Harry pulled away. Somehow though, Hermione ended up in Harry’s arms and the cocoon around them was broken, Molly trying to hustle them onto the train as it whistled shrilly.

“Now, write when you get there!” called Molly as Harry clambered up the steps to join Ginny who was already on the train, hanging out of a window near the door of a carriage near the engine. “And make sure you eat properly!” Harry pulled Hermione onto the train after him and the three of them hung out the window.

“Have a good year!” called Arthur.

“Be good!” smirked George.

“Look after my baby, won’t you Harry?” said Molly as she stepped right up to the train.

“I can look after myself mum,” said Ginny, rolling her eyes expressively.

“Well then, you look after Harry,” was all her mother said, her eyes suspiciously wet. The train began to shudder like it was about to move and Ginny’s brothers and father were all waving and cheering when suddenly Percy put his arm around his now sobbing mother.

“Don’t worry, Mother,” Harry heard him say, just before the Hogwarts Express pulled out of the station. “They will look after each other.”
Reviews 1776
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear