Search:

SIYE Time:15:49 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Rebuilding Life
By Kezzabear

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/AB
Characters:All
Genres: General, Humor, Romance
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 1776
Summary: Harry has defeated Voldemort but is going back to his life going to be easy? What will he go back to, the life he once had is meaningless now. It's time to build a new one and to create a new post-Voldemort world. Ginny is there waiting for him, what do they need to do to rebuild their lives?
Hitcount: Story Total: 580303; Chapter Total: 18406
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
It's time to go home! Enjoy!

Thank you to parakletos and Rachael who made sure this chapter made sense to people who are not me.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Arriving back at the hotel in Origin Alley late on Friday, Harry had been relieved to find Ashley and her band of giggling girls were gone. Harry and Ginny went shopping the next morning with Ron and Hermione to get a wedding gift for Bert and Jonathon, finally settling on a huge frying pan and egg flip for Jonathon’s cooked breakfasts and a set of dishes for Bert’s cereal. At the Post Office Ginny discovered that Percy had sent the paperwork for Dora along with a written lecture on the importance of caring for one’s pets. Ginny grumbled over the missive.

“Git,” she muttered after folding the parchment into a precise square. “I have a pet already and he thinks I am going to kill this one? Mental.” She and Harry left Ron trying to convince Hermione to come into the sports shop whilst they went to arrange to collect Dora from Seth the next day when their return Portkey had been scheduled.

They arrived promptly for Bert and Jonathon’s wedding and were ushered into a large upstairs room by Gavin the barman. Bert was wearing a simple red dress and greeted the group enthusiastically.

“It’s heaps good that you could come,” she said, waving her bouquet around enthusiastically. Jonathon wandered over and, slipping an arm around Bert, shook hands all round. Hermione frowned.

“It’s traditional not to see her until the ceremony,” she said. “Is the ceremony going to be … here?” Bert laughed.

“We’re not the traditional type are we?” she said. Fleur just shook her head as Ernie’s magnified voice rang through the room.

“Gather ‘round you lot; wedding’s about to start!” Jonathon led Bert over to where Ernie was waiting near the window and the guests crowded around them as an old wizard began the ceremony. Harry realised with a start that it was Old Seth and that he had done something … interesting with his hair. The way it was plastered down on either side of his head and tied back reminded him fondly of Hagrid. Bert and Jonathon stood in front of Old Seth, their friends gathered around, holding hands and looking at each other as if they were the only two people in the room. Harry looked at Ginny who was watching them with a far away look on her face.

The ceremony was not long, nor was it overly flowery. Seth launched straight into the vows. Harry watched Ginny smile softly as Jonathon repeated his vows.

“Do you, Alberta,” intoned Seth, and Bert grimaced. “Do you take this man-”

“What d’you think we’re here for?” Bert answered cheekily. “Course I do.” The assembled guests laughed, except Fleur, who’d pursed her lips and raised an eyebrow. Old Seth pronounced Bert and Jonathon bonded for life and they kissed enthusiastically to a chorus of catcalls and whistles.

“Let’s get this party started!” called Ernie, in a clear effort to break them apart and food appeared on the tables lining the walls and trays of drinks began floating around. Handing Ginny a drink, Harry pulled her down into the chair next to him as they watched Bert and Jonathon dance. Ginny gave him a strange look before she fixed her eyes on Bert and Jonathon twirling on the dance floor and sipped at the drink. Harry got the distinct impression he’d thwarted her attempts to sit on his lap, but Bill was watching him so he didn’t say anything about it and he courteously got her a dessert and then sat and ate his own, not sharing a plate as they had become accustomed to doing.

Harry insisted on trading partners with Ron twice during the dancing, during which he held Ginny almost at arm’s length until George came up to them a little drunkenly and forced them together by draping his arms around their necks and declaring his love for them, before being dragged off to dance by a stately blonde who was probably the incredible face sucking Amy. They gorged themselves on mountains of food and plenty of drinks and Hermione and Fleur had to concede that a good wedding didn’t have to have menus and planning and colour matching.

“This is rather fun, isn’t it?” said Hermione in a giggly voice as Ron, perhaps loosened by drink, twirled her flamboyantly around the dance floor as Harry danced stiffly with Ginny, who seemed resigned to his behaviour and had stopped trying to get closer to him. Harry felt like something was missing, but he was determined to prove to Bill that he could be trusted with his sister’s honour and her heart.

“Brilliant party,” Ron added, “but I’m telling you, Jonathon is in a whole heap of trouble for not recommending these Lolly Gobble Bliss Bomb things earlier!” He shoved a handful of the caramel covered popcorn into his mouth as he watched George, who was declaring his love for a witch in a painting, two light fittings and a pot plant.

“He might have daft planning ideas, but he livens up a party doesn’t he?” said Ron, as he twirled a giggling Hermione away. George had been particularly lively that evening but Harry was unsure how much of that was actually George, how much of it was alcohol and how much of it was Ernie, who had proved to be quite the prankster when he and George turned the bridal party blue moments into the first dance.

The evening was winding down when Harry was pushed into the middle of the floor with Ron by Bert and Jonathon during a ridiculous Muggle custom involving Jonathon flinging Bert’s garter around the room after removing it from her leg. The garter landed on his head despite his efforts to avoid it.

“Look who’s gettin’ hitched next!” crowed Ernie as Harry, blushing furiously, grabbed at it and pulled it off his head.

“Natural Seeker’s reflexes,” slurred George, throwing an arm around Harry. Bill frowned at the scrap of lace and elastic in Harry’s hand. He hurriedly stuffed it into George’s shirt pocket to get rid of it as a giggling Hermione dragged a reluctant Ginny into the middle of the room. Despite her best efforts to avoid it, Ginny caught Bert’s bouquet.

“Oh look, you’re also getting married next,” giggled Hermione, as Ginny stood scowling at the bouquet in her hands.

“Isn’t that sweet,” said Ron and Harry glowered at him. Ginny put the bouquet down on the table and backed away from it as if it were on fire.

“You’re getting married! You’re getting married!” chanted George in a singsong voice as he pranced around the room, waving his wand dangerously. Ernie grabbed his arm and began whispering furiously in his ear. Within moments they had simultaneously conjured two enormous flashing arrows that floated in the air above Harry and Ginny’s heads, ‘NEXT TO GET HITCHED’ engraved on them. Bill was frowning again but Harry wasn’t sure what he was supposed to do about what was apparently a coincidence. He glanced up at the arrow and stalked away from it but found that it was still right there above his head when he got to the bar in the corner. He noted with some amusement that Ginny’s arrow was having trouble keeping up with her as she darted between guests, her wand outstretched, trying to get a clear shot at a laughing George. Harry caught Ginny’s eye and motioned towards the door with his head. Ginny ginned at him and darted between several guests to stand in the doorway while Harry wandered casually up to George who was cowering behind a potted fern.

“Say George, how about I sneak you out of here?” he whispered conspiratorily. George nodded fervently. “Get rid of the arrow.”

“Okay, just keep me away from Ginny,” muttered George.

“Let’s go outside, she won’t find you there,” said Harry. “I’ll distract her and you can come back in.” His feint worked perfectly. George ran straight into Ginny, who was lurking in the doorway.

“Take the arrow off, George, and I’ll let you keep your other ear,” she smirked. Defeated, George agreed. The three wandered back into the wedding celebrations and Harry sat heavily in a chair and sighed.

He was taken by surprise when Ginny sat on his lap, draped her arms around his neck and kissed him. It took all of his resolve not to press her body to his and run his fingers up into her hair. Bill grunted at Harry’s show of restraint. A few days ago Bill would have been encouraging him to take advantage of the situation. Ginny pulled away and gave him an odd look and he smiled at her reassuringly. She didn’t seem all that reassured, sighing heavily and turning to Bill, who was watching Fleur talk animatedly to Hermione. Ginny wrinkled her nose at him. There was a gleam in Bill’s eye as he watched his wife hungrily.

“Can you not lust after your wife like that in public, thanks?” she said as she stood up and elbowed Bill in the ribs.

“I stop when you do,” Bill shot back. Ginny looked at him askance.

“What are you on about?”

“If you look at Potter like that, why can’t I look at Fleur like that?” Bill whispered furiously. “If it’s good enough for you, it’s good enough for me and at least I’m married!”

Harry noticed that Bill had dropped the use of his first name. At the same time a corner of his brain was screaming at him that Ginny looked at him as if she wanted him and that could only be a good thing. As Ginny and Bill held a furious conversation conducted in undertones, Harry realised that if Bill only saw that, perhaps he wasn’t able to really see how he felt about Ginny. Harry hadn’t been aware Ginny was looking at him like she wanted to ‘throw him on the table then and there’. He thought Bill might be slightly exaggerating about that however. If Ginny was looking at him like that, he suddenly thought in horror, what was written on his own face half the time?

“Oh for heaven’s sake, Bill,” hissed Ginny, rousing Harry from his thoughts. “I’m seventeen, quite capable of having a — a one night stand if I wanted to and you can’t say anything about it. You certainly can’t say anything about my … status with my boyfriend!”

“Oh and what is your … status, Ginny?”

“With respect, that’s none of your business,” interrupted Harry.

Bill narrowed his eyes at Harry but did not get a chance to respond because Ernie announced that Bert and Jonathon were leaving on their honeymoon and the guests were required to see them off. Perhaps Jonathon was watching George more than anyone realised because he tucked a vial of hangover potion into Hermione’s hand as he and Bert bid them all goodbye.

“It’s been ace getting to know ya,” said Bert as she hugged Hermione. “Have a good trip home Mr and Mrs G!” Hermione’s parents nodded and smiled as they bid farewell to the couple. Jonathon shook hands with Harry and Ron before turning to George.

“Take care, mate,” he said, pulling George into a hug. “Send me a Cocky — an Owl, whatever you send to get a letter here, y’know if you need anything.” George nodded mutely and hugged Jonathon back.

“Well I hope youse enjoyed ya stay here,” said Jonathon to the group at large. “Back to Old Blighty for you lot now, hey? ‘Ave a good trip!” Then Jonathon and Bert were swallowed up in the crowd of their friends as they made their way to the door. The last Harry saw of them Ernie and George were pelting them with rose petals as they ran laughing into the upstairs corridor to the Dripping Bucket and headed downstairs. The party continued long after the newlyweds had left. Ron and Harry found George much later, in a corner, swearing undying allegiance to Gavin the barman and it took both of them to get George back to the hotel to sleep it off.

*********

When Harry crashed into Ron, toppling them in a tangled heap on top of Stoatshead Hill, he pondered briefly why they had still not got any better at Portkey travel. He conceded that Ginny’s decision to have Fleur carry Dora was a wise one. Fleur was standing solidly next to the abandoned Portkey but Ginny looked as though the air had been knocked out of her. George had stumbled on the landing and was now merrily somersaulting down the hill on purpose. Mr and Mrs Granger simply looked terrified. Hermione and Bill had managed near perfect Portkey landings and were organizing the bags and deciding who would Apparate her parents back to the Burrow.

They had left a rather cold and damp Sydney night and arrived on what promised to be a glorious summer’s day and Harry stripped off his jumper before accepting his bag and Ginny’s. Mrs Granger jumped as a loud crack heralded George’s arrival back to the top of the hill.

“George! Stop doing that!” scolded Hermione as she shoved his bag at him. “You know it startles my mother!” George looked sheepish.

“Sorry Mrs G,” he said as he hoisted the bag on his shoulder before Disapparating with an equally loud crack. Hermione shook her head at the empty space where he had been.

“I bet that git’s gone to scoff breakfast,” grumbled Ron as he hauled himself to his feet.

“Ron, we just had dinner!”

“So?” Ron followed George with an echoing pop. Hermione shook her head as she began Banishing the shrunken boxes containing her parents’ belongings. Harry assumed she was sending them to the Burrow and he wondered if they were all going to fit in the old house. He slowly got to his feet and hoisted his and Ginny’s bags onto his back.

“How come these are heavier than they were when we left?” he complained.

“Bags are always heavier when you come back from a trip,” said Mr Granger genially. “I’m really not sure how it happens but it is fascinating.” Harry nodded politely, trying not to laugh as he caught Ginny’s eye.

“Right, are we all ready to go then?” asked Bill, the pile of boxes now gone. Taking Mr Granger’s arm, he Disapparated with him and Hermione did the same with her mother. Fleur, grasping Dora’s carrier, smiled and said she’d see them at home and she too was gone. Harry and Ginny stood alone on top of Stoatshead Hill. Holding out a hand to her, Harry expected Ginny to let him Apparate her home but she only grinned at him and took off down the hill, her hair flying in her wake. Harry called to her but she didn’t answer so he followed her. Halfway down the hill he caught up to her and, grabbing her arm, he pulled her to him. She was laughing heartily and Harry joined in as he flopped breathlessly to the ground, bringing her crashing down on top of him.

“What game are you playing, Miss Weasley?” he asked.

“Oh, I’m not playing games, Harry,” she said. “It was just that we’re alone and I didn’t want to go straight home. I just wanted you all to myself for a little while.” Harry smiled as he tucked a lock of hair behind her ear.

“You want to walk home?” he asked. “It’s a nice long walk … all alone.” Ginny smiled and, taking out her wand, Banished their bags and clambered to her feet. She held out a hand to Harry and he stood up, wrapping his arms around her for a quick kiss before they ambled home to the Burrow.

As they wandered along a narrow path that wound past a small stream that merrily danced and rippled over rocks and stones Ginny gathered flowers and gave them to Harry to carry so that she could weave herself an elaborate floral ensemble as they walked.

“I used to do this all the time when I was a little girl,” she said, as she concentrated on linking two daisies together and joining them to a longer chain draped around Harry’s neck. “Bill used to help me when he was home from Hogwarts. When I got tired he’d put me up on his back and carry me home. He let me make him all sorts of flowery jewellery.” She paused as she joined up the daisy chain she had been creating and draped it over her own shoulders before starting on a circlet for her head.

“One day he helped me weave the most beautiful veil of flowers for my hair,” she paused and looked at Harry thoughtfully. “I told him it was a bridal veil and that I was going to marry a noble hero who would come and rescue me from a big monster.” She looked back at the flowers in her hands and added some more to the circlet.

“Of course, at the time, I thought Ron was a big monster,” she grinned and Harry laughed.

“Did your noble hero have a noble steed?” asked Harry. “All the Muggle fairytales have the hero ride in on horseback, a white horse usually.”

“Oh no,” Ginny said. “My noble hero had a noble steed but it wasn’t a horse. He was going to have a dragon. All noble heroes ride dragons.”

“Of course.” Harry picked a stray flower from the side of the path and tucked it behind her ear.

“Bill let me pretend he was a horse though,” said Ginny wistfully. “Sometimes he’d be the noble hero. He used to make up stories for us to play act.”

“He said he used to tell you stories,” mused Harry as he picked up a long stick and trailed it in the water. Ginny looked at him sideways.

“Is that the big secret he wanted to share with you the other day?”

“What?” Harry looked at her, startled.

“When he made the big production of you two packing,” Ginny explained. “He wanted to talk to you.” Harry nodded as he scooped up a handful of smooth pebbles from the bank of the stream. He threw them into the water, each one making a satisfying splashing sound as it fell.

“He was asking my intentions,” said Harry.

“He was what?”

“Asking my intentions,” repeated Harry, throwing the last stone into the stream.

“Your intentions?” asked Ginny slowly. “Who does he think he is?” Harry looked up at her tone; she appeared livid. Harry shrugged.

“He was concerned we’re moving too fast and that maybe I won’t stick around as long as you want me to.” Ginny said nothing but her back was ramrod straight and she’d stopped ambling along slowly and was starting to stomp menacingly along the little winding path. Harry could see the top of The Burrow’s tallest chimney in the distance; they were nearly home. He hurried up to Ginny, putting a hand on her arm.

“I think I am old enough to figure out my own relationships,” said Ginny icily, she paused. “That’s why you’ve been avoiding me!” She rounded on Harry then and he took a step back.

“I have not,” he said weakly. But she was right, he had been avoiding her. Not that he’d refused to see her but he had stopped touching her as often since his talk with Bill. Bert and Jonathon’s wedding had been torturous. He had been unable to shake the feeling that Bill was watching him and spent the day self consciously second guessing every interaction with Ginny. Harry had wanted nothing more than to simply hold Ginny but he’d only held her hand for most of the day. Harry was roused from contemplation of the day before when Ginny stopped in front of him. They were not far from The Burrow’s gate and wouldn’t be alone much longer. He looked up at her and her eyes were searching his intently.

“I’ve missed you,” she said quietly and Harry’s heart broke in two at the sadness in her voice. He had missed her as well. He’d missed holding her in his arms, missed kissing her neck, and missed tangling his fingers in her hair. Whatever Bill’s problem was, he’d have to get over it, decided Harry as he reached for Ginny and kissed her. Her fingers went up his arms, across his shoulders and into his hair and his arms snaked their way around her waist, pulling her as close as he could get her. As if releasing all the pent up emotions from the last three days Ginny all but attacked him as she kissed him hard and then made her way down his neck. Harry returned the favour gladly, pulling away only when he heard some familiar deep voices. Ginny’s brothers must have come to find them.

“Well, they are taking their bloody time, aren’t they?” Bill’s voice floated through the trees still screening them from the Burrow.

“Oh gee, I wonder why!”

“Surely not the fact that you’ve been keeping a beady eye on them for three days straight,” said George, his voice heavy with sarcasm.

“That was very responsible of you, Bill.” Percy was there too, Harry groaned mentally.

“It’s no wonder they want some time alone.”

“Don’t you think it’s all a bit fast?”

“No, I don’t,” Ron’s voice was getting closer. “I don’t call two years fast. You know as well as I do that being apart last year was torture for them. What is wrong with you anyway? Why is this suddenly a bee in your bonnet? You didn’t have a problem before. In fact you said Harry was family.”

“There is a time and a place for these things, Ronald,” said Percy. Ginny was still in Harry’s arms but she stood up straighter and her face barely masked her fury.

“What things?” Ron’s face was screwed up in bewilderment as he rounded the corner of the little path on which Harry and Ginny were standing. Percy was blushing as he came around the corner after Ron.

“Things of an, erm, intimate nature,” he eventually said, stopping short when he realised Ginny was standing right in front of him.

“Intimate, huh?” she demanded. Percy had the grace to look a little embarrassed.

“Yes, it wouldn’t do to … ah … that is to say, become … intimate while, er-”

“Not you too,” groaned Ginny.

“They’re not shagging,” supplied George helpfully and Harry felt a hot flush creep rapidly up his neck and blossom on his cheeks.

“Oh, I er, assumed,” said Percy, looking more uncomfortable than he ever had.

“Common theme,” muttered Ginny. She was looking intently at Bill who was steadily avoiding her gaze. There was an uncomfortable silence before Ginny pushed past her brothers and stomped up the little path back to The Burrow and stalked out of sight. Harry was left standing there, uncomfortably aware that he probably looked exactly like he’d just been thoroughly kissed. He stuck his hands awkwardly in his pockets and kept his eyes fastened on a tree over George’s left shoulder.

“We decided to walk,” he volunteered eventually. George raised an eyebrow at him.

“Walking, huh?” he said with a grin. “I don’t look like that after I’ve had a walk.” Harry shook his head and started off up the path.

“Nice love bite, mate,” said Ron as Harry passed by. He froze as Ron and George burst out laughing.

“I don’t think it’s Ginny’s virtue we should be protecting,” said George as he slung an arm around Harry’s shoulder and leaned in to inspect his neck. Harry shrugged him off irritably and strode up the path. He didn’t care if the others were following him. He just wanted to somehow get inside and cover the love bite before Molly or Arthur saw it. Unfortunately Molly accosted him as soon as he was in sight of the house. She hugged him fiercely and then took a good look at him while he tried to avoid her gaze and edge towards the house.

“It’s wonderful to have you home again Harry, dear,” she said patting him on the cheek. “Why don’t you come in and get cleaned up and I’ll get you something to eat.” Harry mumbled wordlessly and stepped over a discarded wellington to get through the kitchen door.

“Ah Harry,” Arthur called from the table where he was reading the Daily Prophet. “Good to see you, good to see you. Enjoyed your trip then?”

Harry saw that he was sitting with Mr Granger who was marvelling over the sports section. Mrs Granger was sipping a cup of tea and staring avidly at the spatula turning pieces of bacon by itself. Molly pushed Harry towards the sink and gestured to him to wash his hands.

“Don’t bother with going all the way upstairs or the other boys will be back in and have inhaled the lot before you’ve had a look in,” she fussed. “Here, dear, you might want to just dab some of this on your neck …” Molly pulled him over to the fireplace so he could look in the mirror over the mantle and handed him a small tub. She bustled back to tend to the stove and Harry looked at Arthur out the corner of his eye.

“If it’s gone, George will have less to rib you about,” he said casually turning a page. Harry stared at him for a moment before carefully applying some of the thick purple paste to his neck and watched as the mark disappeared.

“Thanks,” he mumbled, sitting down and giving all his attention to screwing the lid back on the jar. Molly took the jar from him and put a plate of bacon and eggs in front of him just as Ron led his brothers inside. He and George were still laughing heartily and Percy and Bill were still glowering but all four of them sat at the table and began eating. George took a look at Harry’s neck and sighed, muttering something about Harry being the favourite. Molly started asking them about their holiday and they were soon joined by Ginny, Hermione and Fleur who came down the stairs, having freshened up. Harry sat silently, pushing food around his plate as the chatter went on around him, late morning sunlight spilling through the window as they enjoyed brunch.

“-the possums can be quite a menace, especially if they get into your roof,” Mr Granger was saying. “They can chew through the electrical wires which is rather dangerous.” Harry tuned him out. Arthur was listening avidly to him with Hermione explaining the finer points of electricity and Muggle building techniques.

“-so then he realises that he’s been talking to Harry the entire time!” Harry listened with one ear as George and Ron recounted the high points of their holiday to their mother. His other ear was listening to Percy who was treating Ginny to a monologue about pet care.

“It really is something you have to take very seriously; after all, another being is relying on you to basically sustain its life,” droned Percy.

“Well, I’ve managed to keep Arnold and Pig and Crookshanks alive all year, but yeah, I guess it could be a problem,” said Ginny, rolling her eyes. Percy didn’t seem to hear her.

“I hope you are prepared for the realities of owning a pet,” he said pompously as he meticulously cut up his breakfast. Ginny pulled a face at his bent head. “When the paperwork arrived on my desk, I was surprised to see, Harry, that you had bought Ginny a dog.”

“Ginny bought her,” murmured Harry, “not me.”

“Well, perhaps technically she chose the animal-”

“I am right here, Percy,” Ginny sounded annoyed, “and it isn’t like I don’t already have-”

“-but who paid for her?” Percy finished. Harry looked up at Percy slowly and put his fork down deliberately before pushing his chair back and standing up.

“Thanks for the food, Mrs Weasley,” he said. “I’m going to go and see Teddy.” He stalked out the door, letting it slam behind him. He was about to Disapparate when it banged open again and Ginny hurtled out.

“Harry-”

“What?” he snapped. “What does he expect? What does he think is going on?”

“Percy hasn’t been around, he doesn’t get it. Give him some time to-”

“Time? He doesn’t need time he needs to use his common sense,” spat Harry. “He’s always been like this. He doesn’t like me.” This, on top of the altercation with Bill the day before, made him feel extremely nettled.

“Look, Harry, I know he wasn’t very tactful but-”

“I think tactful is the last thing Percy and Bill care about being right now,” Harry said fiercely. “They don’t like me, probably never have. I wouldn’t be surprised if nobody else does either-”

“Oh, you know that isn’t true,” said Ginny, rolling her eyes.

“Yeah, well then, why does it feel like that?” demanded Harry.

“Don’t be ridiculous-”

“They probably think I’m just passing the time, amusing myself,” said Harry. “What was it Rita said, ‘enjoying the spoils of war’?”

“Oh,” said Ginny, faintly, “that’s what this is about.” Harry had no idea exactly what revelation she’d just had and he didn’t care to know.

“I can’t deal with them right now,” he snapped. “I’m going to go and see Teddy.” He knew he shouldn’t be snapping at Ginny but he was stung by Percy’s attitude and not willing to bend.

“Oh, am I not worth it?” she asked, an eyebrow raised and the beginnings of a temper on her face. “Am I not worth you standing up to them then, instead of running away?” Harry just looked at her in confusion.

“I don’t know what you are going on about,” said Harry. “But I’m not going to stand around here and listen to those two drone on and — and question me about something that’s obvious to the whole world!”

“That’s running away.”

“Look, I’m not running away,” he said, sighing as he ran his hand through his hair. “And you are worth it. I don’t want to — I just need some … time — space, something. I’ll be back later.” Harry saw the disappointment on her face as he Disapparated. What he didn’t know was exactly who that disappointment was directed at but somehow he thought it might be him.

Harry felt disgruntled and irritated when he got to Andromeda’s. Spending time with his godson went a fair way to fixing his mood but he did not feel in any hurry to go home although he knew he couldn’t put it off indefinitely. Between Bill’s sudden, inexplicable mistrust and Percy’s pompousness Harry was feeling nettled and ill at ease. At least Teddy had been pleased to see him and his eyes lit up when he saw Harry and his hair went black. When Harry picked him up the baby babbled at him and grabbed at his glasses with his pudgy little hands. Harry was amazed at how much he had changed in the week he had been gone and he spent the afternoon playing with and holding Teddy. The time zone change meant he’d been quite tired and he fell asleep on Andromeda’s couch with Teddy curled on his chest, waking a few hours later to find Teddy chewing on his chin. Andromeda was watching him from a nearby armchair, a pair of knitting needles click-clacking nearby as she directed them with her wand.

“Ginny Firecalled, looking for you just now,” she said. “There’s a birthday tea tonight. I think she was worried you weren’t coming home.” Harry began tickling Teddy but didn’t say anything about going home.

“Do you think he missed me?” Harry started talking aimlessly. “I missed him. I’ll miss him while I’m at Hogwarts but maybe McGonagall would let me come see him, do you think?”

“Harry, what’s the matter?”

“Do you think - would it be alright if Teddy came to stay for a little while?” Harry ignored Andromeda’s question. “I’ll be back at school in about two weeks. That’s not very far away is it? It’s crept up so suddenly. So, can Teddy come and stay for a little while?”

“Harry,” said Andromeda firmly, “you can’t use Teddy to hide from whatever problem you are having with your family.”

“I — I wasn’t, I didn’t … that’s not what I’m doing,” stammered Harry. “I just missed him.” Andromeda came to sit on the couch next to Harry.

“I know you didn’t mean to,” she said softly, “and of course Teddy can go and visit you for a few days. But something is wrong.” Harry sighed and put Teddy down on the play mat at his feet, dangling a toy over his head.

“Ginny’s got six — five brothers,” he said heavily. “It seems that at least two of them are having … trouble with how fast our relationship is moving. Percy thought we were already intimate and has obviously forgotten that even if that were the case, Ginny is an adult and capable of making her own decisions. Bill just thinks … well, I have no idea what Bill is thinking actually.

“He was fine a few days ago! Now he’s like some sort of guard or sentry over Ginny’s happiness or something. I don’t get it. I thought he trusted me. I thought he liked me. Since Ginny’s birthday he’s just been really weird. Like he thinks I’m going to hurt Ginny or something. It doesn’t make any sense!”

Teddy began to squirm at the changing tone of Harry’s voice and complaining about something. Perhaps he could no longer see the toy Harry had been holding because he grunted and rolled over, holding his little head up for a few seconds as if searching for something before his face fell onto the play mat and he began chewing on it.

“I didn’t know he could do that!”

“Oh, he just started rolling about two days ago,” said Andromeda proudly. “Isn’t he the most clever thing?” Harry scooped Teddy up in his arms and began cooing to him that he was such a clever child. Andromeda sat silently for a moment. Harry knew she was watching them.

“Has Bill seen how much you love Ginny?” she asked suddenly. Harry looked up at her in confusion. Andromeda continued. “When you love someone it is written all over your face. In fact it’s quite a mesmerising thing to watch Harry Potter love someone.”

“Well of course he knows how much I love her,” said Harry, blushing slightly at the compliment. “I’m always holding her or kissing her.” Harry looked down at Teddy who he’d laid in his lap in order to better play with his feet. The baby was blowing bubbles at him and Harry felt an immense rush of love for the small child and bent to press a soft kiss to his forehead. He stroked the hair off Teddy’s forehead and began speaking nonsense to him.

“No Harry,” said Andromeda quietly. “I don’t mean does Bill know you love Ginny — but has he seen you love Ginny? Has he noticed the two of you together or heard you talk about her? He knows all this already but now that Ginny’s an adult, about to make her way in an adult world, he’s probably scared for her. It’s a scary world out there.”

“The whole point of my life was to make it a less scary world,” muttered Harry mutinously and Andromeda laughed.

“He knows you love her, up here,” she tapped her head. “But he wants to know it here.” Andromeda placed her hand over her heart. Harry looked at the woman helplessly. He knew instinctively that this is what Ron had been perhaps the first to see. Ron could see how much Harry loved Ginny by the way he held her and touched her. Charlie saw it in the way he looked at Ginny. George knew it too, by how Harry spoke about her. Harry remembered how Charlie and George had seemed awed by the realisation. Harry was fairly certain Molly and Arthur could see how much he loved their daughter. They trusted him with her without question. Bill and Percy didn’t realise how much he loved Ginny. It was startling information with a simple solution; find a way to show Bill that he loved her more than life itself.

“How on earth do I do that?” he demanded, “and what about Percy?” Andromeda shrugged.

“I don’t know everything, Harry,” she laughed. “Come on; let’s pack Teddy a bag and you can go and show off his new skill at home.”

Harry liked the sound of that. Home. He suddenly felt a lot better about going home and he felt a terrible guilt about abandoning Ginny the way he had. If Bill needed to see Harry show how much he loved Ginny, today wasn’t going to get him very far. He readied Teddy for the journey and helped pack his clothes and milk and toys. Thanking Andromeda and arranging to bring Teddy back in a few days, he clutched the child and his three bags and Disapparated home to the Burrow.

**********

George and Ron were duelling tables on the lawn and to Harry’s surprise, Charlie was egging them on from a deck chair on the edge of the lawn. He raised a hand in greeting and Charlie waved back. Harry could hear Molly’s voice floating through the kitchen window, demanding that they put the tables down.

“Harry!” called Ron, getting distracted and sending his table crashing to the ground. “You’re back!”

“Oooh, you’ve brought a friend,” added George, putting his table down considerably more gracefully than Ron. “Look, ickle Harry fits right in, bringing home unannounced visitors.” George came over and relieved Harry of two of the bags, ruffling Teddy’s hair as he did so and Teddy turned his hair Weasley red and blew a bubble at George.

“Good move though,” added Ron as he took the baby and blew a raspberry on his tummy. “All the females will forget they are cross with you if you wave the midget in their face.”

“They’re all cross with me?” asked Harry apprehensively. Charlie chuckled and shook his head.

“You’ve been gone a while, mate,” answered Ron, “and you took off without sorting things out with Percy. Mum’s in a bit of a dither.” Harry sighed and took a quietly protesting Teddy from Ron.

“And Hermione wanted to open your Hogwarts letters together and you’ve held it up,” added George. Teddy shifted restlessly and squealed loudly. As if in response, the back door flew open and Ginny poked her head out. She stepped out quickly and strode across the lawn.

“There you are!” she hissed. She had reached the place where he stood in the middle of the lawn, surrounded by George, Charlie and Ron and slapped him on the arm. “I have had to listen to Percy all day. Thank goodness he’s gone to get Penelope and I’ve only had to listen to Bill for the last half an hour.” She rolled her eyes sarcastically. Harry just looked at her and then turned Teddy to face her.

“Sorry?” he tried, hoping his face matched Teddy’s, innocent and adorable. Ginny sighed and took Teddy, rubbing his nose with her own. She turned and headed back towards the house and Harry let out a breath. Ginny stopped dead and turned around.

“I would follow me if I were you, Potter,” she called before waltzing back into the house. Ron snickered and Charlie clapped him on the shoulder.

“I’d say you’ve got a chance to redeem yourself,” he said jovially and took the remaining bag from Harry’s shoulder, giving him a little push. Harry looked apprehensively at Ron and took off after Ginny, slipping inside the door after her to find Molly, Fleur and Hermione already gushing over Teddy. Ginny’s arms were free so Harry tentatively wrapped an arm around her shoulders and pressed a soft kiss to her cheek. Ginny turned her head so that she was looking into his eyes before putting a hand on his chest.

“I’m sorry,” he offered. “I didn’t know how to deal with … well, I shouldn’t have walked out like that.”

“Perhaps not, but I understand why you did,’ she said as she slipped an arm around his waist. Harry pulled Ginny close. “You need to talk to them.”

“I know,” Harry sighed heavily. He stared moodily at the small fire flickering in the kitchen fireplace. Ginny turned his head gently to face her own. Harry saw understanding in her eyes but also something that said she wasn’t willing to deal with things alone, that she expected him to be there to back her up. He bent down to kiss her, trying to tell her, as his lips caressed hers, that he was sorry; to assure her that he was there for her. Perhaps she understood because when he pulled back she was smiling softly at him.

“Charlie came for my birthday,” she said.

“It’s not your birthday,” said Harry smiling back at her.

“But it’s a birthday dinner,” she argued.

“Oh, is a piece of stale mudcake in Yackandandah’s best pub not a good enough birthday dinner for milady?” teased Harry. Ginny crossed her eyes and poked her tongue out at him. Harry didn’t get a chance to respond because Molly swept by at that moment, Teddy on her hip and waggled her finger at him.

“You’ve been gone all day, young man and that will not get you out of helping,” she scolded with a smile. “Now go and help the boys set up. Go on, off you go.” She patted him on the arm and took Teddy into the living room. Ginny pushed Harry outside again and he found himself ducking a pair of duelling tables just as Neville Apparated onto the lawn and was struck with a flying chair propelled by Charlie. He was uninjured and Ron and Harry caught up with him while they were supposed to be setting the table.

“What happened with you and Parvati, mate?” asked Ron, carefully placing forks on top of the tablemats Harry was laying out. Neville, following with the knives, just shrugged.

“Who says you have to stick with the one girl?” he said. “We had fun but it wasn’t a forever thing.” Harry could see Bill with a tray of glasses out of the corner of his eye and carefully avoided looking at him.

“Well you don’t have to stick with the one girl but how do you know she wasn’t the one?” argued Ron.

“Just because you two figured it out doesn’t mean we all have,” said Neville.

“Figured what out?” asked Ron absently as he took the glasses from Bill. Harry watched Neville roll his eyes at the back of Ron’s head.

“Who you want to be with,” said Neville. “We’re not all as lucky as you two.” Molly bustled out then and began berating them for taking too long and organising them like a mini army to bring dishes out until the tables were groaning with the weight of the food she had prepared. Percy had arrived back with Penelope just as all the setting up had been done and when they weren’t fussing over Teddy the women were exclaiming over the ring on her finger. Percy looked inordinately proud of himself and stood discussing marriage and the future with his father and Mr Granger, both of whom were looking just a little bored, their eyes glazing over.

“Of course, these things take time,” Percy was saying, oblivious to his bored audience. “Penelope and I have been together for quite some time, you understand, but rushing into things would be inappropriate. It’s simply not possible to be aware of what one wants while one is still in school and certain aspects of a relationship really should wait, don’t you agree, Father?” Arthur jerked as if he’d been abruptly woken.

“Ah, oh, yes Percy, absolutely,” he murmured before excusing himself, leaving Mr Granger to fend off Percy on his own.

“Take young Ron for example,” Percy continued, blind to the fact that Mr Granger wasn’t really listening to him in the slightest. “I’m not at all sure he hasn’t rushed too quickly into his current liaison. I’m sure they are getting up to all sorts of inappropriate activities and they should just slow things down to a proper pace.” Harry thought Percy must have completely forgotten that he was telling Hermione’s father that she was moving too fast with her boyfriend, because who on earth would say that? Well, Percy would apparently. Luckily for Hermione, Bill came along before her father actually started listening to Percy and persuaded him that Penelope needed help to show her ring off to Fleur.

“Fleur is going to make me pay for that later,” remarked Bill as Mr Granger wandered off to the punch bowl, intent on refilling his drink. He grinned lasciviously. “I’m sure I can think of something to make it all better.”

“Oh yes, because you’re allowed,” muttered Ginny sarcastically. Bill glared at her and opened his mouth but did not get a chance to say anything as Molly, Teddy still on her hip, called them to the table. Bill was dragged to sit at the other end of the table by Fleur and Harry and Ginny joined, George, Hermione, Neville and Ron, putting as many people between themselves and Percy as they could.

“So, not that it isn’t good to see you, Neville,” began Ron, as he heaped mashed potatoes on his plate, “but why are you here?” Ginny rolled her eyes at him.

“I invited him, he’s my friend,” she said. “You know what they are don’t you? Luna was going to come but she’d already arranged a date with a boy from Hufflepuff.”

“I thought she was going out with Dean,” muttered Harry. Ginny nodded.

“Oh she was, but she isn’t anymore,” she said, “can’t say I blame her.”

“I can’t keep up,” Ron grumbled. Harry suddenly felt uneasy, like he was being watched. His eyes darted to the other end of the table where Bill was talking to Charlie animatedly but no one seemed to be looking at him. Percy was meticulously cutting up his meat and did not spare anyone a glance. Scratching the back of his neck Harry shrugged off the feeling and started eating.

Harry was part way through his meal when he felt something rub against his legs. Peering under the table he realised it was Crookshanks. He didn’t think anything of this except in the next moment he suddenly heard a loud bark and an excruciating pain shot up his calves and then tore across his thighs. Crookshanks yowled as he leapt over Harry’s shoulder and Dora tore across the lawn yapping loudly on the heels of the terrified Kneazle. Ginny and Hermione were out of their chairs at once, chasing after their pets.

“I thought she was locked up!” screeched Hermione. “You know she goes nuts at Crookshanks and Mum and Dad!”

“She was!” bellowed Ginny. “I don’t know how she got out!” Percy sat there shaking his head as Ron, Bill and Charlie scrambled after the fighting animals. Dora chased Crookshanks up a tree and Pigwidgeon joined in the cacophony, fluttering around the Kneazle’s head like a fluffy ping pong ball while Liberty suddenly swooped in and Dora began alternating her yapping between the owl and the pussycat.

“I didn’t think she was responsible enough for a pet,” intoned Percy as he continued eating. Harry pushed back his chair and inspected his legs which had been used as Crookshanks’s climbing post. His trousers were ripped and blood was oozing from several deep scratches. Molly bustled over and began tutting over the state of him.

“I’m fine, Mum, really,” said Harry as her hands inspected the scratches on the inside of his left thigh. Molly seemed oblivious to his discomfort as he squirmed in the chair while she pulled the ripped fabric aside to get a better look at the scratches. Hermione hurried past and into the house with Crookshanks and Ron was carrying an excitable Pigwidgeon. Charlie had managed to convince Liberty to stay away from Dora, who was being held by Bill and Ginny. Harry forced himself to stop squirming as Molly tended the scratches.

“There’s nothing there, Ginny,” he heard Bill say suddenly, sweeping his lit wand in an arc, the other arm still pinning Dora to the ground. Dora was growling fiercely, but given that Crookshanks and the birds were gone, Harry could not work out why she was growling.

“I’m telling you, I heard something,” insisted Ginny, stroking the Creeler to try and calm her.

“How could you possibly hear anything with all the noise these animals were making?”

“Something’s watching me,” was Ginny’s insistent reply. Harry hissed sharply as Molly accidentally poked his leg with her wand.

“Oh, sorry dear,” she murmured absently, her eyes on Ginny.

“It’s dark and there’s nothing out there Gin, you can’t know you’re being watched,” Bill said, shaking his head.

“I know when I’m being watched, Bill,” Ginny answered. Her voice sounded cold and as she stood up she stared at her older brother as if daring him to defy her claim. Dora had settled down, but she was still standing stiffly and her eyes were trained on a point in the distance beyond the black cloak of darkness that fell outside the lamps they had set up on the lawn.

“There you are dear,” said Molly, patting Harry on the knee. “All fixed up, shouldn’t even scar. Lord knows you don’t need any more of those.” Harry just smiled wryly at her and ruefully inspected his ruined trousers. He looked up to see Ginny pulling Dora by her collar over to the shed where she’d been locked up for the night and went to help her. The dog was still straining at the spot beyond the tree and started whining.

“See, she knows there’s something watching too,” murmured Ginny as she tried to pull Dora in the opposite direction. Harry joined Ginny in dragging Dora back to the shed.

“You felt it too?” he asked Ginny quietly. She looked up at him suddenly and their eyes locked and slowly she nodded. They reached the shed and pulled Dora inside. Ginny began making a fuss of the dog who began to respond once they got her away from the tree and the unseen presence. While Ginny played with Dora, Harry leaned against one of Arthur’s workbenches and watched them together. It didn’t take long for Dora to curl up in her basket and Ginny came over to Harry, encircling her arms around his waist.

“Crookshanks got you, huh?” she smiled. Harry grimaced.

“Yeah,” he said. “I had your mother inspecting my legs.” Ginny wrinkled her nose at him.

“That’s my job,” she said huskily and reached up to kiss him. Before long, Harry had Ginny seated on the bench and he stood between her knees as he kissed her fiercely. Dimly he realised she had wrapped her legs around his waist and he pulled her closer to his own body, running a hand up her back and into her hair. Ginny’s hands were all over him, trailing along his chest, scratching up and down his back and dancing up and down his arms. When her fingers tangled in his hair and gently scratched his scalp, Harry heard Ginny sigh contentedly in the middle of the kiss, but she did not stop kissing him. Harry didn’t know how long they stayed in Arthur’s shed, kissing, touching one another. Long enough for Ginny to unbutton his shirt, her fingers leaving scorching trails across his chest and long enough for Harry to snake his hands under her shirt.

The door to the shed suddenly flew open with a bang. Harry and Ginny started and pulled away from each other. Bill was standing in the doorway and the look on his face was pained. Harry instinctively went to button his shirt but Ginny put out a hand to stop him.

“Yes?” she asked her brother coldly. Bill just looked at her. “Is there a problem?”

“Can I speak to you for a moment, Ginny,” asked Bill. Ginny looked him squarely in the eye.

“Sure, fire away” she replied. Bill glanced at Harry.

“In private.”

“No,” said Ginny calmly. “If you’ve got something to say to me, you’ve got something to say to Harry.”

“Is that the way it is now?” asked Bill. “Are you even your own person any more Ginny?”

“What?”

My sister isn’t some man’s shadow,” spat Bill. “She makes her own decisions and she doesn’t spend her life in some bloke’s pocket!” Ginny simply stared at him. Harry felt intensely embarrassed and wished he could be somewhere else; anywhere else.

“Is that was this has all been about?” Ginny said quietly. “You think I’ve sold out; become some sort of pathetic doormat?”

“Three months ago you were at school, Ginny,” Bill began. “A school girl; you are still a school girl. How can you be ready for all this? Do you have any idea how he looks at you?”

“Like he wants me,” said Ginny promptly and both Bill and Harry blushed at her admission. She continued in a voice that wavered slightly, yet she sounded stronger than she ever had before. “I’m not stupid and I’m not a little girl. I know what it’s like to be an adult, Bill. I might look like a school girl but until you understand what went on in that school last year you won’t know just how much of an adult I am.” She hopped off the bench and walked over to her brother. He stood defiantly, arms folded near the open door to the shed and he melted only slightly when she reached up and touched him on the arm.

“It’s not too fast,” she said, softer now, but just as strong and clear. “Harry and I share things and you need to get used to that. We share Dora, we share a vault, and we share our lives, Bill. That includes physical affection.”

“So, you share a bed too then?” asked Bill matter of factly.

“No,” said Ginny. “Not that it’d be any of your business if we did.” Bill shifted uneasily.

“I don’t think it’s possible for Ginny to be in anyone’s shadow, Bill,” said Harry, still leaning against Arthur’s workbench. “I love her; I don’t think you realise how much. I don’t want to turn her into someone she’s not. Ginny makes her own decisions.”

“We make them together,” said Ginny, turning to Harry. He inclined his head; that was true. More and more, they were making decisions together.

“But it’s moving so fast,” Bill protested. “How can you possibly know what you want?” Ginny looked at Bill as if he had two heads.

“I have wanted Harry since I was eight,” she said. “Do you really think this is going to change for me? I know exactly what I want and that I’m ready for it.” Harry shifted uncomfortably. Bill seemed at a loss for words.

“But seventeen is a bit young to be intimate-”

“Why is it always about that with all of you?” snarled Ginny. “We’re not intimate and it’s not any of your business!” She stormed out of the shed and Harry shot a reproachful look at Bill as he followed her, pausing briefly.

“I know what I want Bill,” he said quietly, buttoning his shirt. “Maybe, if it’s written all over my face, you’d better read all the lines that are written there.” He followed Ginny into the night and found her at the foot of Fred’s grave. She was standing stiffly, her arms folded across her chest and her eyes glittering in the dim light. Harry couldn’t tell if her eyes were glistening with tears or anger and he stood quite still, only a few feet away, unsure what to do or say.

“Fred would have been happy,” she said softly. “He would have understood.” Harry said nothing, unsure if Fred would have been silent on the matter. He’d always been the first to tease. Perhaps it was just easier to believe that the people who were no longer here would have acted just like you wanted because they could never let you down. Until he was fifteen his father had been like that.

“He would have teased mercilessly,” Ginny whispered, “but he would have been the first to say ‘be happy’. He wouldn’t have wondered endlessly or cared if we were …” She trailed off and Harry saw a lone tear roll down her cheek before she swiped at it furiously. Ginny wandered to the headstone and knelt down, reaching out to trace the words engraved there.

“Guess what, Fred?” she said, her voice wavering. “I’m seventeen now, all grown up; all legal. I got Harry, did you know that … well … before? Mum’s thrilled. Ron and George are planning the wedding. Bill’s being a git, thinking like a boy.” She stopped and sat in silence for several long minutes. Harry cleared his throat nervously.

“I’ll just-”

“Do you want to have sex?” Ginny asked abruptly as she turned to face him, her voice more like a stinging slap than a seductive caress. Harry had absolutely no idea where that came from or what the correct answer was. Did he say yes, even though they weren’t ready for it so that she wouldn’t think he didn’t want to, or did he say no, so that if she wasn’t ready for it she didn’t feel pressured? He eventually came up with what he thought was a safe answer.

“Why are you asking, Ginny?”

“Just answer the question!”

“No!” he blurted eventually. “Well, yes actually, but-”

“Not very decisive, Potter.”

“Ginny-”

“Boys only think about one thing,” she began, “and you’re a boy. My brothers are boys and they seem positively obsessed with it all. It was all I heard about last-” She stopped abruptly and turned away. Harry was very confused. Until now Ginny had been the one who seemed to be pushing for a more physical relationship. She had been more comfortable with his physical reactions to their closeness than he had been and she had never stopped a single one of his advances; that was left to him. He knew one thing though, there was never going to be anyone else for him. Ginny was it and everything, and he did want very much to make love to her, they just weren’t ready.

There were things that worried him about what she had been through last year. The closer they got to the new year at Hogwarts, the more he noticed. He couldn’t put his finger on it but something lurked in his thoughts, nagging at him that he hadn’t discovered all her secrets yet. So he did the only thing he could think of. Approaching her from behind he slipped his arms around her waist and put his mouth next to her ear and then, whispering to her, told her how much he wanted her.

“One day, Ginny, I promise I’ll act on that,” he finished. “But right now isn’t the right time for us.”

“I know,” she sighed. She continued quietly. “Most of the boys were obsessed last year. When things got really bleak they’d talk about not wanting to die without … well, without experience. Some girls got talked into things they regretted later.” Harry held her, listening as she revealed part of what had gone on the year before.

“Everyone assumed …” she swallowed heavily, “assumed that I was … experienced. A number of boys anticipated that I would be … willing.” Harry stiffened.

“What! Did they … what happened — are you alright?” Harry’s words tumbled out; he could barely think. Only one thought was clear and that was if anyone had forced Ginny to do anything they’d have him to deal with, they’d be sorry they ever met him and they’d certainly not do so much as look at Ginny ever again.

“No, nothing happened, but there’s a few sixth years out there now with a healthy fear of my Bat Bogey Hex,” said Ginny wryly. Harry laughed grimly. “The last one was a Slytherin though and I ended up in detention. Neville started walking me between classes and staying with me when Luna couldn’t. That just made it worse. Then they thought me and Neville …” Harry pressed a kiss to the side of her neck and breathed in the scent of her hair. He was going to thank Neville next time he saw him.

“I’m sorry, I’m so sorry you had to go through that,” he murmured. Ginny sighed.

“It’s just how it was. The Ministry was taken over, you were on the run and we were probably going to lose the war,” she continued. “Between that and the way Hogwarts was being run, Filch started to run out of cupboards in which to store actual brooms. They were being put to a lot more, ah, creative uses, probably from about the first week. I can imagine it seemed more bearable to lose yourself in someone, even a relative stranger, than deal with what was happening.” She fell silent and Harry contemplated her words.

“Of course, Neville and Luna and I were dealing with events rather differently than everyone assumed,” said Ginny as her fingers stroked Harry’s hands which were holding her close. “Seamus came and told us there was a rumour about the three of us. We kept disappearing to the Room of Requirement, plotting to get that sword out of Snape’s office. Malfoy had started spreading … well, let’s just call it an unsavoury rumour regarding the three of us. Next time I came across him it took both Seamus and Neville to hold me back.” Harry chuckled despite the serious nature of the conversation.

“I’m sorry I missed that,” he said, “seeing you all fired up. I wish you didn’t have to be though. Malfoy had better just keep out of my way.” Ginny sighed softly.

“It was just so hard,” she admitted. “There were more Slytherins than Gryffindors I think, certainly in Seventh year. Neville and Seamus were pretty much outnumbered. You and Ron and Dean didn’t come back and Malfoy was Head Boy. Michael and Anthony would have been really helpful to Seamus and Neville if they spent less time acting like obsessed boys.” Somehow Harry knew Ginny was rolling her eyes.

“It sounds like you and Neville held it together then?”

“Well, not at first,” she admitted. “But it didn’t take til Christmas for people to figure out the lay of the land. Once there was less obsession and more … well, taking Neville seriously, Malfoy couldn’t turn around without the combined forces of the other houses in his way.”

“People still assumed though,” Ginny sighed. “When Luna didn’t come back to school after Christmas Michael had the gall to ask me if I’d arranged it because I was sick of sharing Neville … he deserved to figure out how to get off the ceiling by himself. I don’t know why Neville helped him by informing McGonagall.”

“You stuck Michael Corner to the ceiling?” asked Harry, amused.

“Well, it’s not like I used a Permanent Sticking charm,” she said defiantly. “He was only up there for three hours before McGonagall and Flitwick got him down. He’s lucky I didn’t hex his bits off.”

“Ouch,” grimaced Harry, “you’re vicious Gin.”

“Yes, well then he’d have hard a hard time following his obsession with Orla Quirke,” said Ginny with glee. “Or maybe not so hard really and that would have been a problem for him. Honestly, she was a fourth year! I swear most of you think with-” Harry interrupted her hastily.

“Are you annoyed because people assume we’re intimate or because I’m not thinking … well … with — I haven’t tried to?” he asked her. “Would you rather people’s assumptions be right?” He moved around so that he was in front of her but she wasn’t looking at him, apparently fascinated instead by a speck of dirt on her jeans that Harry could not see.

“I don’t know,” Ginny whispered. “I’m so confused and I don’t know why.”

“It’s got nothing to do with them,” said Harry quietly. “We do what we want, when we’re ready and no one needs to know any of it.” Ginny looked up at him. He smiled at her in what he hoped was a reassuring manner. She studied him solemnly for what seemed like the longest time.

“Maybe I am a little bit worried that you’re not acting like an obsessed boy,” she said at last.

“You obviously haven’t seen my dreams,” said Harry roughly and Ginny laughed. He drew her to him and kissed her thoroughly, leaving them both breathless.

“I love you, Ginny.”

“Mmmmm, me too,” said Ginny as she busied herself leaving a trail of wet kisses along his jaw and down his neck. Ron found them there a short time later, just as Ginny got Harry’s shirt completely unbuttoned again.

“Oi, you two,” he called, “you’re holding up the cake!” Harry groaned and dropped his head to Ginny’s shoulder.

“Okay, Ron,” Ginny called back a trifle breathlessly. Ron shifted a little in the shadows.

“Do I want to know what you have been up to?” he asked cheerfully. Harry wasn’t sure if he preferred the Ron who avoided all talk of his and Ginny’s activities or the new version who seemed to delight in catching them in the act. Harry had a sudden vision of Ron catching them in the act of something much more intimate and congratulating them and he shuddered.

“No, I’m sure you don’t,” muttered Ginny as she straightened her clothes and swept past Ron, back to the table on the lawn. Harry sighed heavily and ran his hands through his hair before starting after her.

“I know Mum and Dad like you,” Ron said, “and I know they gave you bruise paste this morning but I doubt even Dad will turn a blind eye to an unbuttoned shirt, complete with a set of three love bites.” Ron waved his hand vaguely in the direction of Harry’s left collarbone. Harry groaned again and began buttoning his shirt. He wondered if he should start carrying a pocket mirror with him at all times to check that Ginny hadn’t left any visible marks because it seemed to be her new favourite activity. Not that he was complaining, but maybe he’d try and get some bruise paste as well.

“They might like me, but Bill doesn’t right now,” he said bitterly. “How is this supposed to work if Bill and probably Percy think … well, whatever it is that they think?” Ron turned his head in Harry’s direction.

“Have you met my sister?” he asked sarcastically. “She’s the one who does her own thing even if people don’t agree with her.” Harry opened his mouth to say something but Ron had started talking again.

“Bill will come around,” Ron assured Harry. He seemed serious. “Ginny’s birthday just threw him a bit and you two have been getting quite close with the whole holiday thing. What do you suppose it is about holidays that make you feel close to someone? I’m not looking forward to being away from Hermione. Being with her all the time … it’s like … it’s cool.” Harry looked at Ron in amusement. They had nearly reached the edge of the lawn.

“Eloquent, mate,” Harry chuckled before sobering. “Do you think Bill will come around? That it’s just because Ginny came of age? What if it’s me? Maybe he thinks Ginny deserves better. He said she’s stopped being herself. What if being with me has changed Ginny and she’s not who she was? What if Bill’s right and we are moving too fast?” Ron stopped and faced him, the dim light playing across his features as he shook his head at Harry.

“What is wrong with you today?” he asked. “Bill’s being an idiot. He’s known you for years and he knows what you’re like and he knows as well as the rest of us that Ginny deserves the best.” Ron grabbed his arm as Harry tried to turn away.

“Harry,” said Ron seriously, “you and Ginny bring out the best in each other. She hasn’t stopped being herself; she’s more herself now than she has been for months. I was talking to Neville and he reckons she hid it well but she missed you terribly last year and it showed. He said most people wouldn’t notice, but he says watching her tonight, it looked like part of her that had been missing was back and he reckons it’s you. Some rubbish about some sparkle he only ever saw when she was talking about you.” Ron paused.

“Of course, I don’t want to know that Neville watches my sister sparkle,” he grimaced, “that’s sort of creepy, don’t you think?” Harry grinned and shoved Ron on the shoulder.

“She does sparkle though,” said Harry. “When she’s all excited about something or if she’s up to mischief and she’s got this sort of glow when she smiles that makes her look so … alive.” Ron just looked at him and shook his head.

“You’ve got it bad,” he sighed. “She’s gotten her hooks into you and you’re never getting away. Not that you want to go anywhere, do you?” Harry shook his head.

“So why doesn’t Bill understand that?”

“He will, he’s just being, well … a brother,” said Ron, shrugging. “If you ask me, he suddenly realised he spent the last two months being your brother and when Ginny turned seventeen he remembered he was Ginny’s brother too. Don’t worry, he knows you, he loves you and he wants you in Ginny’s life.” Harry looked at Ron sideways. Rarely did they speak so candidly about feelings with one another like this. Ron shuffled his feet a little and Harry sighed.

“I wish I could be sure of that.”

“You can,” Ron assured him quietly. “We all feel the same, even Percy; he’s just taking a while to figure it out because he’s distracted by paperwork. You’re part of the family, Harry, and not just because you’re with Ginny. We want you around. We don’t want anyone else with Ginny. You don’t play with people’s feelings, so it’s obvious what you want and it’s obvious she doesn’t want anyone else. Oh, and I think the midget wants you too.”

They could hear Teddy’s fretful cries from the group on the lawn. Harry hurried out to locate Teddy and saw that Molly was setting a large chocolate cake in front of Ginny and wondering aloud where Harry had gotten to.

“I’m right here, Mum,” said Harry as he reached Neville and took Teddy from him. The baby grasped Harry’s shirt in his little fists and stopped wailing. He calmed down, sobbing and hiccupping a few times as Harry rocked him and patted his back. Harry sank into the chair next to Ginny as Teddy’s eyes slid shut and Harry looked up at Ginny and smiled.

“Sorry to hold up the cake,” he said, grinning at her. Ginny smiled at him and leaned over to stroke Teddy’s head which was now sporting a crop of messy black hair.

“That’s okay,” she said, “I don’t mind waiting for you.” Teddy shifted and started fussing again and Ginny and Harry both bent over the baby, Harry rubbing his back and Ginny whispering softly as she stroked his head. Harry watched Ginny soothe the baby and he reached up his free hand to her face as Teddy shut his eyes once more. He felt Teddy sigh heavily and snuggle closer to his chest and Harry pulled Ginny to him, pressing his lips to her forehead.

“Thanks,” he said as he pulled away. Ginny just smiled and lifted the hand she’d been stroking through Teddy’s hair and ran it through Harry’s matching locks.

“Can we have cake now?” Ron’s plaintive plea cut through Harry’s senses and he raised his head to see everyone looking at them. Molly was smiling at them, a wistful expression on her face.

“Come on then,” she said brightly as she bustled towards Ginny and the cake, brandishing her wand and lighting the candles. Harry cradled Teddy as everyone joined in singing Happy Birthday to Ginny. When she cut the cake and handed him a piece, he found it hard to eat one handed so he placed it on the table and tried to cut it into smaller pieces with the edge of his fork. He laughed as he watched Ginny guide a fork laden with cake into his mouth before clumsily returning the favour.

“Is this our new thing?” he asked Ginny as he guided the third mouthful to her lips. “This is the way we eat chocolate cake now?” Ginny closed her eyes as she pulled the cake off the fork and nodded. After she swallowed she leaned forward.

“Yeah, it’s our new thing,” she said just before she kissed him softly. She tasted heavenly and Harry lingered over the kiss.

“You two are insatiable!” called George from the other end of the table.

“I can’t believe he actually knows what that word means,” said Hermione in an undertone.

“Highly inappropriate,” muttered Percy.

“Leave them alone,” said Bill quietly. Harry felt Ginny pull away slightly and he looked up at Bill, but the older man was concentrating on his own piece of cake. Harry wasn’t sure what Bill had seen, but if the smile playing on his lips and the way he was feeding his cake to Fleur was any indication, Harry thought he might have just won back Bill’s approval.

Harry slung an arm around Ginny’s shoulder and she snuggled up to his side, one hand resting lightly on Teddy’s back as he slept cradled against Harry’s chest. They stayed like that, listening as the sounds of conversation washed over them and Harry tried to ignore the persistent feeling that he was being watched.
Reviews 1776
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear